PDA

View Full Version : How do you do your part?

BlondieHepburn
January 28th, 2012, 08:15 AM
For no reason at all, I usually keep my hair part on my right side. But I have a little cowlick at the back of my head which always makes my hair look totally flat, no matter what I do.

Last night, I was watching an old movie. The girl had the same cowlick as I have, in the same location, but it looked good on her! Why? Because she had her hair parted on the left, and it flowed much nicer with her natural pattern. I'd never thought of that.

So beginning today, I am going to train my hair to part on the left, and see how it goes. But it got me thinking, how do other people part their hair, and why?

So how do you part your hair? And is it because you've set it that way, it naturally falls that way, or you've just never thought about it like me?

Come on, do your part! :p

pepperminttea
January 28th, 2012, 08:25 AM
My hair naturally parts just a tiny bit left of the centre (to the casual observer, it just looks like a centre part :p ). I leave it be for the most part (pun intended), I look really odd with a side parting for some reason - a lot more like my mother. shudder:

QMacrocarpa
January 28th, 2012, 08:40 AM
My part is a moving target. I move it every couple weeks or so. Sometimes center, sometimes a bit to the left, sometimes a bit to the right (but never a very deep part which makes my side wisps go wild). I did go for years and years always parting on the left because of something I read in a fashion magazine about how to decide where your part should be (they said to part on whichever side you could raise your eyebrow higher), but now I think that was just silly. I like switching it up for variety, and this way the sun exposure is spread around a bit. I usually change my part on washing day, and dry in a stretchy hairband to help the new part settle in.

Amber_Maiden
January 28th, 2012, 09:37 AM
My part is usually off center- because I never fix it. I let my hair do what it wants.

dwell_in_safety
January 28th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I just let my hair fall however it wants. Haha.

aisha.christine
January 28th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I change it up. :p
Right now, it's parted to the left.

Bagginslover
January 28th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Used to strictly part in the dead center only, but for a few years now I've been parting on the left. It softens my features somehow, but I still find centre parting more comfortable.

Henrietta
January 28th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I have it always on the right but this "always" changes every few months depending on my mood and means just that I do not change it like everyday depending on an updo. Even if in a tutorial says "part your hair *somewhere*" in 99.999% of cases I won't do it anyway.

spidermom
January 28th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I rarely part mine. I lift it with my fingers from the front and flip it in one direction or the other - which ever direction will give a little lift.

Ligeia_13
January 28th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Mine is usually in the middle, but not because I part it there. It just seems to like it. Although the other day was curious, it parted down the middle and then for the last few cm of the front, it slid off diagonally. I tried to set it straight but it wasn't having it :p

TiffanieJean
January 28th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I wore it down the middle for a while, because I lost a lot of hair from having my son (It wouldn't part anywhere else).

Now that my hair is back to normal, I usually wear my hair parted to the left because I take all of my hair and put it over my left shoulder fairly often when I wear it down. It leaves the shorter layers and long bangs hanging a little on the other side.

I switched my part back to the right (where I used to have it) about a month ago, and now it wants to stay to the left..

Whatever works I guess lol

Jeep Girl
January 28th, 2012, 02:51 PM
My part is usually just right of center, so I voted center. And I part it with cheese! :-)

cooklaezo13
January 28th, 2012, 03:13 PM
My hair naturally parts on the left. I have a teeny mole on my scalp that usually falls exactly where my part is. I have parted my hair in the same place for as long as I can remember.

lapushka
January 28th, 2012, 03:40 PM
My hair parts on the right, not the far right, just slightly off-center to the right. It just naturally falls apart at that spot (due to a little bit of a cowlick in front).

Shesta
January 28th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I rarely part mine. I lift it with my fingers from the front and flip it in one direction or the other - which ever direction will give a little lift.

same here!

Kira94
January 28th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Mine is on the right, I think it's natural. I've kind of lost track though. :laugh:
I have a major cowlick though which laughs at the idea of having blunt bangs, so my part is wherever my cowlick wants it to be. Which currently is, as said, on the right. ;)

kanaka
January 28th, 2012, 08:59 PM
There is no need for me to part my hair in particular because it parts itself at center when i leave my hair loose. So when i dont want my hair to part i need to use pins to secure my hair

Mopolop
January 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Last summer I had my hair parted on the right everyday, and now if I part my hair on the left it looks significantly darker because all my highlights are hidden. It looks weird to me, so I keep the parting on the right.

Skruttiz
January 29th, 2012, 08:13 AM
More left then right. But I donīt know why.

PrairieRose
January 29th, 2012, 08:40 AM
My part is usually on the right. Although it never seems to part the same way each day. I don't intentionally part it, I just let it do what it wants to do.

BlondieHepburn
January 29th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Now that I'm looking into it, I am discovering that there are entire theories on hair parts and how they represent one's personality, e.g., some people believe that Gore lost to Bush because the former parted his hair one way and the latter the other way. And their hair somehow subliminally conveyed their respective leadership capabilities, or the lack thereof. Haha. :crazyq:

Nedertane
January 29th, 2012, 09:36 AM
99% of the time, it's center, but lately I've been parting it just right of center (about 1 inch). I think it's more along where my hair naturally falls, plus it kind of makes me look like Toki Wartooth of Metalocalypse. :D

nala89
January 29th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I part my hair every morning and I part it on the left (not exactly on the left but definitely more to the left than to the right). My hair pretty much falls like that but I still part it every morning since a few hair always fall back to the other side. So without parting it would look slightly uneven ;)

Celebrian
January 29th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Now that I'm looking into it, I am discovering that there are entire theories on hair parts and how they represent one's personality, e.g., some people believe that Gore lost to Bush because the former parted his hair one way and the latter the other way. And their hair somehow subliminally conveyed their respective leadership capabilities, or the lack thereof. Haha. :crazyq:

I've sort of had it centre for years - although way back, I remember I changed the parting several times in one week (can't remember why) and was told by a fellow worker that the changes "showed such personality!" That remark has baffled me for years, and has links to your Gore/Bush finding. Such nonsense :confused: (or is it?)

karenpetal
January 29th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I usually have no part as I either pull it back in ponytail or bun ... for a braid I sometimes do a center part

StPaulaGirl
January 29th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I've sort of had it centre for years - although way back, I remember I changed the parting several times in one week (can't remember why) and was told by a fellow worker that the changes "showed such personality!" That remark has baffled me for years, and has links to your Gore/Bush finding. Such nonsense :confused: (or is it?)

For most of my teens/20s, I parted it on the right. Then I started dating a guy who liked to play with my hair, and one day he gave it a center part and asked me what I thought. I had to admit I liked it (I had never thought of parting it that way before), and I decided to keep it for a while. A few days later I happened to see someone I hadn't seen in a long time and the first words out of his mouth were, "Did you do something different? You look fantastic!" I was baffled as well, because I hadn't done anything different except change the part.

I've tried parting it sideways since then, but now my hair seems to want to stay centered. :p So that's where it remains - completely centered.

cheycheyeyes
January 29th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I part mine to the right because i just always have haha :p

Schrei777
January 29th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Mine is parted on the left because it just suits my face better. Mine isn't a straight part though, it's a funky almost zigzag pattern.

Silver Swan
January 29th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I've almost aways parted on the left (or centre for certain updos) I don't know why - it just feels right! Now I will have to go home and experiment with a right part.

Woods Nymph
January 29th, 2012, 09:44 PM
99% of the time, it's center, but lately I've been parting it just right of center (about 1 inch). I think it's more along where my hair naturally falls, plus it kind of makes me look like Toki Wartooth of Metalocalypse. :D

Toki. Freaking. Wartooth. Yes!! :cheese:(I like Nathan Explosion, myself...'cause he looks like DBF haha!)

Anyhoo, I let my hair do what it wants & it lacks a part for some reason...When I force it to part, it won't part all the way; only halfway over my head. :shrug:

Nedertane
January 29th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Toki. Freaking. Wartooth. Yes!! :cheese:(I like Nathan Explosion, myself...'cause he looks like DBF haha!)

Anyhoo, I let my hair do what it wants & it lacks a part for some reason...When I force it to part, it won't part all the way; only halfway over my head. :shrug:

Lol, Toki has been a "quickie" Halloween costume for a couple years now... Have to grow out highlights for the color to be more exact, though. One of my good friends could totally pass as Skwissgar, but he wouldn't dress up with me this year. :rolleyes:

MamaCimino
January 29th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I've almost always parted my hair down the center. Its so flat that parting on the side doesn't add any volume or thickness to that side.

nessa454
January 30th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I always part my hair on the right. That suits my face best in my opinion. :)

PsycheOrigami
January 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM
My part falls on the right mostly on its own. I have a somewhat severe widows peak hidden under my bangs, and I never really tried to force it elsewhere, probably due to laziness.

Savahead
January 30th, 2012, 05:19 PM
In the center is the only way my hair will have it.

Darkessa
January 31st, 2012, 10:17 AM
I part mine on the right because of this WONDERFULLY placed cowlick right in the front... :mad:
Its just to the left of my widows peak.
Over the years its less intense, but still kinda there.

CastaDiva
January 31st, 2012, 02:59 PM
My hair parts naturally a little left of center:)

renee2day
February 1st, 2012, 01:11 AM
When I comb it back I let the hair part where it naturally breaks in front. Comb hair back and push forward on it and it will break into a part. If I want to wear the part more to the center I will often zig zag the comb a bit as it will give more lift to the hair. Or I will let it break more to the left. If I let it part on the right it looks weird in the back because I have a cowlick on the back right side that will break in the back of the hair because there isn't enough weight on the right side to keep it smooth. The only time I part it on the right is right after I've taken off my hat and I'm trying to keep it from going flat. But even if its parted on the right in the front the part lands to center or left of center as it goes to the back of my head. So its almost always on the left.

Rosetta
February 1st, 2012, 04:23 AM
If I let my hair do what it wants (and I usually do), it parts naturally in the center. I'd love to wear a side part, but it just doesn't seem to suit me...

LocustSpawning
February 1st, 2012, 05:35 AM
I part mine to the left because it makes my nose appear smaller (I think.) With a middle parting there is just too much middle focus and it elongates my face and nose. I also think a side parting looks more feminine. :)

woolyleprechaun
February 1st, 2012, 06:00 AM
I switch mine every couple of months because the part tends to widen if I have it in the same place too long :( bit 'o the ol' traction alopecia I feel.

hyettf16
February 1st, 2012, 06:09 AM
Sometimes I just let it fall it usually falls to the right and the part is a mess (not straight)
but lately I've been parting it in the middle 'cause it makes me feel like a '60s child or something :)

Aggemam
February 1st, 2012, 06:14 AM
I have a cowlick in the front of my hair which makes it very hard to part, so I kind of have to make the parting where my hair wants it. Do any of you know if there's a way you can make cowlicks disappear or force hair to behave differently?

1nuitblanche
February 1st, 2012, 09:26 AM
I usually put my part of the right side because it gives more body to frame my face. However, my hair naturally parts of the left.

Kitsu
February 1st, 2012, 10:26 AM
slightly off centre with a bend half way up. It's just how my hair falls

Sunshineliz
February 1st, 2012, 10:35 AM
When I was little--on the right with my cowlick. When I got older my sister said I could get rid of my cowlick if I parted on the left--so left it was for years. And no, parting on the other side will not rid you of a cowlick.:) I've grown to like the front cowlick though so it's all good. The back cowlick is another matter.:mad:

Nowadays I part wherever the heck I feel like it. Mostly now though I do it based on how much silver hair I want to show in the front--left for alot as it spreads the silver all over, center for a frosty look, and right for brown with silver stripes.:D

emeraldfaery
February 2nd, 2012, 07:22 PM
My part is usually down the center, when I wear my hair down. Lately, I can't wear a part because all of my baby hairs from my postpartum shed are long enough to make it look like a mini mohawk. :(

EtherealDoll
February 4th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I usually part my hair on the right side. Or in the middle, when I wear it in pig-tails or braids.

sun-kissed
February 4th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I find that changing my part daily helps me keep volume in my ever-so-flat hair, so I part it every morning in a different place. Usually it ends up near the center, but sometimes I part it on the left side, or diagonally.

RocketDog
February 4th, 2012, 08:55 PM
My hair naturally parts fairly deep on the left. I cannot part on the right, I've got a big scar on my scalp that makes the hair stick out in odd ways if I try.

sfgirl
February 5th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Left side! Has been since I was 15!

Finoriel
February 5th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Left side. It's starting far left above the end of my left eyebrow and ends in the center.
I've got a widows peak and a huge cow lick right above my right eye :p so that's pretty much the only place where I can part my hair.
(No part at all would be possible too with some training, but that doesn't really suit the shape of my face anyways.)

ranaenelcomal
February 5th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Haphazardly, to the right!

Renate
February 5th, 2012, 09:12 AM
My hair naturally parts on the center, but I like it better on the right.

Kattillac
February 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM
My part has always fallen down the middle, I didn't think much of it until I saw just about everyone wearing thier part to the side. I've tried it now and then, but my hair eventualy just falls back to place in a middle part. *sigh* oh well I think it looks decent

Kattillac
February 5th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Oo I have noticed however on the occasion that I try and part it on the side, my hair looks a little more volumous. A big plus+ because my hair is somewhat flat :/

pink.sara
February 5th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I flip the front around constantly and have never had a set or deliberate part.

You need a natural part option!

Cara Heather
February 5th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I had center, left, and right at one point. Currently I am no part.

elbow chic
February 5th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I don't think I really have a natural one either. Down the middle for years, now slightly to the left. Sometimes I switch it up for a day or so. I like a deep right part because it looks like I "did something."

BlondieHepburn
February 6th, 2012, 11:21 AM
For no reason at all, I usually keep my hair part on my right side. But I have a little cowlick at the back of my head which always makes my hair look totally flat, no matter what I do.

Last night, I was watching an old movie. The girl had the same cowlick as I have, in the same location, but it looked good on her! Why? Because she had her hair parted on the left, and it flowed much nicer with her natural pattern. I'd never thought of that.

So beginning today, I am going to train my hair to part on the left, and see how it goes....

Update: So actually, my hair has naturally been parting just barely off center and it's changed my whole look! Lately, I don't feel homely wearing it down, it's kinda sexy! :eyebrows: Haha, cool.

RedStripe
February 6th, 2012, 11:30 AM
My hair tends to fall into a natural center part, but I don't like how it looks that way, so I part it somewhat to the left. I must say, though, I've been very nonchalant about my hair parting lately -- I used to carefully comb a straight-line part, but now I just kind of grab a section and move it over a little.:)

HairCareJunkie
February 7th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I prefer on the left... but it falls automatically always back in the middle... *sigh* Stubborn hair of mine!

Jesabel
February 8th, 2012, 03:53 AM
The left :) I have a side fringe (or bangs..) so any other way would look funny!

B-L
February 8th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Probably center, but it does go sligtly to the right if I let the hair fall naturally. When I had side bangs they were from right to left..

mira-chan
February 14th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Right now I've gone back to no part. I switch it around once in a while. I had a left part for almost year, an almost center one before and a right one beforehand.

HylianGirl
February 15th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I prefer to part it at the middle, it's more comfortable and I like it that way, but from time to time I change it, so now it's parted on the right. Tha reason why I do that is because my hair can adapt to whatever parting I do and I don't want it to get used to one specific parting, so it'll always part only on that way... if that makes any sense xD

tiarefleur
April 13th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I've had a left part my whole life that won't go any other way no matter how hard I try! Doesn't bother me too much, but I would love to be able to try a middle part...if only it would lay the right way

Hyacinth
April 13th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I part mine on the left...can't remember ever parting in the middle.

holothuroidea
April 13th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Mostly I let my hair do it's own thing, which usually results in a very zig-zagy left-of-center part although sometimes it will be more to the left or to the right or right in the center. It seems completely random, probably because my hair is short and fine so it has no resistance and goes wherever the wind takes it. :laugh:

When I am feeling fancy I force it into a severe right part because I think it suits my face better.

izzybel
April 13th, 2012, 10:13 PM
My part falls naturally in the central area...growing up, my mother wouldn't stand for it, often for picture day or a special occasion she would make me part it to a side if my hair was going to be down. My hair of course would protest.

Littlewing13
April 13th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I have a cowlick at the front on the right, thats where my hair falls. If I brush it all back when wet, then let it do its own thing when dry, my hair pretty much parts in a straight line right where I do it anyways. Its pretty stubborn. I can change it with a few tricks but I cant be bothered. It suits me anyways. Centre looks horrible, I end up with heaps of volume on one side & totally flat on the other.

kme81
April 14th, 2012, 01:53 AM
:cry:I have a very strange section of hair that is curly and frizzy on the right side of my head. One of the reasons why I part my hair on the left it that that tuft of frizz needs hair on top of it to keep it down.
...My hair is 1b, the tuft of curl is about a 3b, maybe even a 3c. Problem? Yes. :agree::mad:

thirstylocks
April 14th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I have a natural part to the left and my hair gets very upset when it isn't parted like that! Its been a nightmare taming my new bangs.

Kwantslonghair
April 14th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Mine is on the left

cfreya
April 14th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I used to always part my hair on the right when I had a side fringe (side swept bangs you might say) but now that I have a full blunt fringe I have a centre parting

Much prefer centre, with my thin fine hair the side parting just makes one side look too thin and uneven

nobeltonya
April 14th, 2012, 10:14 AM
My hair seems to naturally part slightly off-center, but basically in the middle... I leave it however it wants to part when I take it out of the towel.. it just stays in the middle. I usually have a problem getting it to lay right if I try to do a side part..

TiffanieJean
April 14th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I did the same thig to my part because of a cowlick! Weird... Sometimes I switch it to the middle as well.

savannahlove
April 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Down the middle. I had it on the left for the longest time while I had my fringe, but now that I'm growing it out, I put the part back in the center.

BrightEyes
April 14th, 2012, 01:12 PM
My part is on the left. I don't have a cowlick or anything. I just prefer it that way.

Majala
April 14th, 2012, 02:07 PM
In the middle. Even if try to make my part more to one side or another my hair soon rearranges itself back and parts in the middle.

BatBeteNoire
April 14th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I comb it after the shower and let it fall where it may.