PDA

View Full Version : pillowcase fabric for oily hair

PennyLaneDream
January 24th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I've been hearing a lot of people talking about their favourite pillowcase fabrics (I know silk is very popular) but I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for someone with oily hair? My hair is pretty oily naturally and I've been trying to stretch washes lately so anything that cuts back on the oil would be so helpful.

cooklaezo13
January 24th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I'm wondering about this, too. I hope someone more knowledgeable chimes in soon.

Mommyof4
January 24th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I use a satin pillowcase... actually, our entire family of 6 even the soon to be 1 year old, uses a satin pillowcase lol :p

Some of us (our family, not LHC lol) have oily hair, and the satin sort of lets it slip through to the pillow..(I have to wash pillows weekly for allergy reasons anyway) but it keeps the hair from feeling more oily, at least at our house.. when compared to a pillowpet, cotton pillowcase, and even a terry cloth one that one of my son's just had to use once.. ouch!

I actually oil my hair weekly before bed, bun it, and sleep directly on a satin pillowcase... and it works great then, too.. maybe I'm just crazy lol.. but I LOVE satin pillowcases.. they are a hair saver :D

omnivore
January 24th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Mr. o and I both sleep on satin pillowcases. Both of our hair is pretty happy with this setup. Significantly less tangles, and reduced overall scruffiness.

Mommyof4 is spot on, the oil seems to magically fall through the pillowcase and onto the pillow. We're both pretty oily people (he more so) and I have learned how to get people oil out of pillowcases just fine, but now I am having to work on figuring out how to get it out of the pillows!

PennyLaneDream
January 25th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Thanks, I've been debating between a silk or satin pillowcase for awhile so I think I'll be going with satin then. It'll be cheaper too :p

trolleypup
January 25th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Satin modal is a nice compromise between silk and polyester, washable and absorbent. Not quite as durable as polyester, but has a much more pleasant feel to it.

fridgee
January 25th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Really want to get a satin pillowcase, but was worried about the oil thing too. I wonder if you could double pillowcase the pillows, first with a cotton one (or a pillow protector) then with the satin one on top so that the oil that went through the first one was absorbed by the second one? I don't relish the thought of washing pillows...last time I tried that I ended up having to sleep on mangled messes of foam until I could afford new ones!

BlazingHeart
January 25th, 2012, 12:32 PM
They also make cotton pillow protectors, which are tightly fitted covers usually with a zipper on one end and intended to go under your pillowcase. That would be a good way to protect the pillow itself from oil, and you could remove and wash whenever you do your pillowcases.

PennyLaneDream
January 25th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Really want to get a satin pillowcase, but was worried about the oil thing too. I wonder if you could double pillowcase the pillows, first with a cotton one (or a pillow protector) then with the satin one on top so that the oil that went through the first one was absorbed by the second one? I don't relish the thought of washing pillows...last time I tried that I ended up having to sleep on mangled messes of foam until I could afford new ones!
I was also worried about the washing pillows thing, which I try to avoid as much as possible. The cotton pillow protector sounds like a good plan

Maktub
January 25th, 2012, 06:58 PM
simply put the satin/silk pillowcase over a cotton one, to protect the pillow