PDA

View Full Version : White dots and constant s&ding

sazzie88
January 22nd, 2012, 10:24 AM
Hi all I have found previous threads but wanted a more definite answer.

I did a long s&d last week as well as a micro trim this morning I have woken up with my hair in very very bad shape. I do not use any heat or dye my hair too much and only do CO washes :). Last night I styled my hair in a half up half down braided bun held in place with bobby pins. Do you think this could cause the damage I have seen?

All of my ends only at the front had very very bad white dots toward the ends, the longest being an inch up the hair. The lucky thing is that it is only the hair at the front of my face about an inch either side of my bangs. Do you think this could be caused my my hair being shoulder length or just because I had it in an updo?

This is really getting annoying as I am now having to do weekly micro trims and I feel as though its not gaining any length. As I speak I have done a thorough s&d and covered it in conditioner and coconut oil. Does anyone have any suggestions or have you been through this while your hair was shorter?

Amber_Maiden
January 22nd, 2012, 10:40 AM
Could be you haven't been doing S&D enough to get all the dots and splits. It's probably previous damage.

mzBANGBANG
January 22nd, 2012, 10:48 AM
I have the exact same story including routine. When I started sleeping with a silk scarf around my braids at night, I noticed a lot less damage. Maybe it's from sleep damage?

Madora
January 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Be sure your shears are sharp! Dull shears can make for damaged ends.

Just continue with the S and Ding to remove the damage. If there is too much damage then perhaps a trim to remove all damage would be better.

Those white dots will eventually break and the hair will begin to split, so if you can get rid of them before that happens, you'll be ahead of the game.

Mommyof4
January 22nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Be sure your shears are sharp! Dull shears can make for damaged ends.

Just continue with the S and Ding to remove the damage. If there is too much damage then perhaps a trim to remove all damage would be better.

Those white dots will eventually break and the hair will begin to split, so if you can get rid of them before that happens, you'll be ahead of the game.

This^^ is what happened to me.. I had a trim done with less-than-razor-sharp shears.. and my hair was in worse damage later :(

sazzie88
January 22nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
It could be previous damage but I s&d every week I do it for around an hour.

I did stay at my mums last night with my hair loose without a silk pillow case but I didn't think one night would cause so much damage?

jacqueline101
January 22nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
You needed to do it more often. They damage grew out where it was more visible so you kept noticing it more.

CashmereHair
January 22nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
When did you start for the first time S&D?

gracenotes
January 22nd, 2012, 11:34 AM
I also think it might be your scissors. If they're not sharp enough, they can cause damage.

B-L
January 22nd, 2012, 11:34 AM
How sharp are your scissors and do you cut anything else with them, besides your hair??

furnival
January 22nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
It could be previous damage but I s&d every week I do it for around an hour.

I did stay at my mums last night with my hair loose without a silk pillow case but I didn't think one night would cause so much damage?

It's really unlikely that it's happening overnight. You have hundreds of thousands of hairs: one hour of snipping them, one by one, once a week is never going to get rid of every white dot.
If you're finding them an inch up the hair then your scissors are not to blame- it sounds like previous damage. If they're right on the ends, your scissors might be blunt.
I always find more dots at the front of my hair too- don't know why, it just seems to get more damaged there. Good luck! :)

Tigermama
January 22nd, 2012, 12:27 PM
I am not sure if this is the same for others, but certain ingredients of conditioners (Cones is one) that will do this for me. If I use a cone conditioner, my hair will look amazing, but three days later the ends will be demolished. Splits, white dots, bent pieces, and little bits breaking everywhere. Many lucky people can use cones with no damage, so this may not be the case for everyone. I had to try cone free for several months before the damage was contained and stopped reoccurring. Now, If I use cones for a special effect, I do it right before a trim because I know what will happen.

QMacrocarpa
January 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
With freshly-trimmed hair at 17 inches, I would just put away the scissors for at least 6 months. Find a few simple protective styles that you like, treat your hair gently-within-reason, and let patience work its magic. I don't believe there will be any hair catastrophe if you ease up on the constant vigilance. My hair is split-prone, and I never S&D, and only self-trim once or twice a year, as needed.

Henrietta
January 22nd, 2012, 12:42 PM
I do NOT believe that one night without a silk pillowcase can cause so much damage. An updo cannot do so neither. So probably it is a previous damage that was hidden somewhere in the lower layers of your hair. Somehow you must have missed it ;)

sazzie88
January 22nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
When did you start for the first time S&D?

I started s&d ing about 4-5 months ago

sazzie88
January 22nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
The scissors I use are hairdressing ones that cost around £15 from capital hair and beauty (a Uk store) I only use them for s&ding and micro trims.

Has anyone heard that cutting tin foil with scissors sharpens them? I tried this today so hopefully they are as sharp as can be now

CashmereHair
January 22nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
I started s&d ing about 4-5 months ago

Hmm okay, it was just because I thought if you had only just begun, it may be because you had overlooked damaged hair. But you've done it so long, so it's probably something else :confused:

sazzie88
January 22nd, 2012, 01:05 PM
Do yo think that it would be best then to leave the scissors alone? I have been cutting about 5mm a week so not going to be gaining much length at the front at all :(

lapushka
January 22nd, 2012, 01:10 PM
I agree with others who've said that this is not damage that occurs overnight.

Other than going for a small trim once in a while or keeping up with the S&D, there's not much you can do about the damage. Wear it up and protect your hair as much as possible, keep babying it.

furnival
January 22nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
Has anyone heard that cutting tin foil with scissors sharpens them? I tried this today so hopefully they are as sharp as can be now

Argh... Sorry but this is a myth. Cutting through ANYTHING with scissors will not sharpen them, it will blunt them. I don't know where all these rumours come from about cutting through foil or sandpaper or the neck of a glass bottle but the ONLY way to sharpen scissors is to grind them along the angle of the bevel on the edge of either blade.
If you're worried about blunting your scissors by cutting through a few hairs, imagine what cutting through tougher stuff will do!
We need to refute all these myths before anyone else blunts their scissors... :eek:
P.s. Can I ask where you heard about the tinfoil idea?

sazzie88
January 22nd, 2012, 01:35 PM
The tinfoil was something I read about years ago... I'm not sure where now it might of been in a magazine article on money saving tips! Ha ha.

Oops I hope it doesn't do much damage to them I did it earlier this evening!

furnival
January 22nd, 2012, 01:51 PM
The tinfoil was something I read about years ago... I'm not sure where now it might of been in a magazine article on money saving tips! Ha ha.

Oops I hope it doesn't do much damage to them I did it earlier this evening!

I wouldn't worry if you've only done it once- it does take quite a lot to blunt a decent pair of scissors, though cutting through sandpaper would do it nicely...
If you've only been using them for s&d-ing and the odd trim, I wouldn't imagine they'd need sharpening anyway.
Bloomin' magazine tips... :o

spidermom
January 22nd, 2012, 02:04 PM
I've been at this hair-growing project for a long time (at least 12 years). At first I thought that with regular trims and S&D, I'd be able to nip damage in the bud, but that hasn't been the case. Some my trims have been huge (7 inches), and I've done S&D for hours, but every time I look through my hair, I find lots of split ends. My hair has been at the same length (between hip and tailbone) for the past 3 years because of it.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to accept a certain level of split ends if I want my hair to grow longer (and I do). I think that if I started at one side of my head and S&D'd continually, by the time I finished with the second side of my head, I'd have new split ends on the first side.

sfgirl
January 22nd, 2012, 02:22 PM
I've been at this hair-growing project for a long time (at least 12 years). At first I thought that with regular trims and S&D, I'd be able to nip damage in the bud, but that hasn't been the case. Some my trims have been huge (7 inches), and I've done S&D for hours, but every time I look through my hair, I find lots of split ends. My hair has been at the same length (between hip and tailbone) for the past 3 years because of it.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to accept a certain level of split ends if I want my hair to grow longer (and I do). I think that if I started at one side of my head and S&D'd continually, by the time I finished with the second side of my head, I'd have new split ends on the first side.

Are you worried about splits going up the shaft of your hair? I hear from some people they don't have this problem, and that some people do. I don't mind having a small amount of splits myself, I just don't want my hair to keep getting more damaged. :(

sazzie88
January 22nd, 2012, 02:47 PM

I might have to bite the bullet and stop cutting. It's so annoying when I cut and a few days later they are back. Grrr

It's obviously something thats happening as its only the front of my head the back is perfect. Silly thought but do you think it coud be tucking it behind my ears?

It's annoying because now I s&d a lot I have a lot of fly always and it looks like I have layers

sazzie88
January 23rd, 2012, 05:26 AM
Do any of you use any products to protect your ends, from damage/splits?

jojo
January 23rd, 2012, 08:01 AM
It sounds like your scissors are not sharp enough! ive come to the conclusion that the more I s&d the more splits i find. I s&ded last week and found just 6 split ends, no scissors have come near my hair for 2 months up to then.

sazzie88
January 23rd, 2012, 08:54 AM
It sounds like your scissors are not sharp enough! ive come to the conclusion that the more I s&d the more splits i find. I s&ded last week and found just 6 split ends, no scissors have come near my hair for 2 months up to then.

That is the advice that someone else in this thread has also given, I think that is the best option for me becuase S&Ding too much is going to impossible to keep up with if I want long lovely locks!

I bought the scissors about 4-5 months ago and have been using them every 1-2 weeks since I got them. They are proper hairdressing scissors and I gaurd them with my life :)
DB and DD have no chance of getting their paws on them :):)

QMacrocarpa
January 23rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
Do any of you use any products to protect your ends, from damage/splits?
Yes, I find that applying a small amount (a drop or two) of jojoba or similar oil every few days seems to help protect my ends and delay the need for a self-trim. I just dribble a tad of oil on my hand, rub my hands together, and run my hands through my ends. I've gotten jojoba oil at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I think some also have good success with extra virgin olive oil, which should be easily available at most grocery stores, and less expensive.

I stand by my advice to step away from the scissors. :)

sazzie88
January 23rd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Yes, I find that applying a small amount (a drop or two) of jojoba or similar oil every few days seems to help protect my ends and delay the need for a self-trim. I just dribble a tad of oil on my hand, rub my hands together, and run my hands through my ends. I've gotten jojoba oil at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I think some also have good success with extra virgin olive oil, which should be easily available at most grocery stores, and less expensive.

I stand by my advice to step away from the scissors. :)

Once a week I use coconut oil with my usual co wash.. The coconut oil I use is that hard one that melts in your hand. I usually always rinse this out. Do you think I should add a tiny amount to damp hair as a leave in or is this coconut one not the best to use?

QMacrocarpa
January 23rd, 2012, 04:02 PM
It sounds worth a try, but I know zip about coconut oil, so I hope an expert will chime in! Personally, I usually have better luck putting oil on dry hair, though more people seem to apply it to damp hair. If it seems to make your hair greasy/stringy, you might try it on dry hair.

sazzie88
January 24th, 2012, 01:20 AM
I used to use it on dry hair but I find I get an awful lot of shedding. So many fall out it scares me. I used some baby oil last night and my ends feel great but I do look abit greasy....