PDA

View Full Version : What's your hair to you?

Creatureling
January 19th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Is it just another part of your body? Is it a piece of craftmanship, a hobby you've worked on for years? Do you think of it as a treasured item of clothing you wear everyday? Or maybe you think having hair is just one of life's little nuisances.

I think of my hair as an unruly pet. I'm quite attached to it, and I'm fiercely protective of its welfare, but my hair's behavior is difficult for me to figure out sometimes. :rolleyes:

How do you think of your hair?

Mommyof4
January 19th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I think of my hair as my priceless gem or heirloom (for myself) :)

I love my hair, but I like to have fun with it too :)

joflakes
January 19th, 2012, 12:30 AM
It's a PITA sometimes. For example, I'm only on day two of not washing but I look like someone chucked an oil bucket over my head and I have random flocks all over the place. Not good!

I see it as part of my identity I guess. It's why I miss it when I don't dye it funky colours!

sfgirl
January 19th, 2012, 12:32 AM
I think of my hair as an accessory, which is why I kept up with every crazy dye trend or hair cut out there. I went to high school in Phoenix, in the height of the "scene kid" trend (google image it!!), so my hair was layered, teased, had extensions in, used tons of hairspray, got bangs, put "coon tails" in (horizontal striped pieces), bleached it, and put gigantic bows on it. Altogether I used to spend about five hours on my hair every day.
I'm trying to think of it more as treasured though, so I'll stop damaging it for the sake of the latest fashion. :)

mzBANGBANG
January 19th, 2012, 12:33 AM
My hair is the manifestation of mental illness. I'm a bit obsessive and if I focus all of that obsession into my hair, I actually function better at everything else.

I'm in the growing process, but one day I will think of it as an identity. I love the feeling of hiding behind a curtain of hair.

Loreley
January 19th, 2012, 12:46 AM
For me it's my hobby, the thing I've worked on almost in my whole life. But it's also the best part of my body and makes me feel unique.

MonaLisa
January 19th, 2012, 01:02 AM
To me it is a hobby, since i joined LHC..but also I rather consider it part of me, part of my body than piece of clothing or so...
It's kind of sacred to me..

Vanille_
January 19th, 2012, 01:04 AM
My hair is my hobby.

Diamond.Eyes
January 19th, 2012, 01:09 AM
It's part of my body that I would be very sad without. It makes me feel unique and adds to my identity. I wouldn't really consider a body part an accessory. It might be a security blanket for me as well; if I'm feeling crappy at the end of the day, I can at least be happy with my hair.

vanity_acefake
January 19th, 2012, 01:12 AM
It's my constant amusement, frustration, toy, pride, shame, fun and annoyance depending what it is up to on any given day.
It is a wonderful lesson in patience.

hanne jensen
January 19th, 2012, 01:44 AM
My hair is everything to me. I have 3 years invested in it and have solemnly promised it to never again chop.

LittleOrca
January 19th, 2012, 01:45 AM
I think of my hair as my priceless gem or heirloom (for myself) :)

This. This is what my hair is to me. It is also a slap in the face to the mainstream industry that wants me to chop it all off and put all their products in it so they can tell me how bad it looks and ruin my self esteem that they will fix with more products!

dinnee
January 19th, 2012, 02:00 AM
To me my hair is like an accessory. Some people wear rings, or necklaces, I wear my hair.

supbanana
January 19th, 2012, 02:03 AM
For years my hair was my security blanket, I constantly let it fall in front of my face to 'hide'.

These days I don't need to hide behind it anymore, but it's a part of my identity. A couple of weeks back a friend asked if I would rather lose a finger or shave my head and I seriously had to think about it. When my hair is short I feel ugly, have no self esteem and feel very out of place.

pepperminttea
January 19th, 2012, 02:45 AM
A hobby, in the sense that it's something I do to relax. Detangling and S&Ding in front of a DVD on the sofa? Yes please! :D

Tota
January 19th, 2012, 02:45 AM
The longer it gets, the more I love it. I used to think that it is a fashion accessory. Big mistake! Now I treat it as a part of my body - I try to keep it healthy and protected as much as possible. We'll see where this takes me, I hope it works;)

Alix
January 19th, 2012, 03:11 AM
My hair is something I'm proud of and rather vain about, but I'm not to incredibly attached to it. If I had to cut it, there would be no tears, but I would miss being able to throw it in a ponytail.

CitznMag
January 19th, 2012, 03:29 AM
My hair has been different things at different times. Currently it's my therapy. When I'm stressed, I tug on the ends and this brings about calm.

white.chocolate
January 19th, 2012, 03:39 AM
A play thing.

Jessykins
January 19th, 2012, 03:51 AM
i suppose a hobby, since i chopped it really short back in 07 ive been growing it since. im never getting it cut that short again! but also when im a bit stressed or figity around others i play with it

PriscillaCherel
January 19th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Shows me how I feel, how I am and who I am.

Long_hair_bear
January 19th, 2012, 05:35 AM
My hair triples as a security blanket, a hobby, and a spoiled pet. I love the feeling of my hair running down my back. It's very spoiled as I get it the best of everything I can afford. I'm always depleting my bank account by buying new hair sticks and more deep conditioner (my hair uses a lot!). I love my hair and wouldnt cut it for anything. :D

Mayflower
January 19th, 2012, 06:13 AM
I see it as a part of my body, that I take the best care possible off, just like I take care of my figure, my skin, my teeth, my eyebrows, my nails. It's very easy to neglect it because unlike everything else it is technically (!) dead so it doesn't feel anything.
It's also kind of a hobby haha, I like spending time on it, trying new things. And lastly it's also a practice in patience, in being happy with what I have now but still working towards a goal.

Amber_Maiden
January 19th, 2012, 06:17 AM
It's both a hobby (something I can distract myself with) and a part of my body, as well as a very badly behaved plant that acts like a weed- one moment on the brink of death, the next thriving.

MissAlida
January 19th, 2012, 06:37 AM
My hair is my long term project. It is a bit of an obsession lately. I always start things, and never finish them. So my hair "project" is something that I use to try and proove myself wrong. I hope to finish this project (to reach waist, gain thickness, and have wery healthy hair).I want to have hair like my mom had when she was in her 20's.

Shesta
January 19th, 2012, 06:55 AM
My hair is my mystical veil. It's a reflection of my inner self.

Carissamarie08
January 19th, 2012, 07:21 AM
My hair is my hobby and defines who I am on the outside :)

Dorothy
January 19th, 2012, 07:35 AM
My hair is an art project, a research paper, a sensuous sheet of silk my body makes. When all else falls apart, I know that my hair, like my garden, is still growing, and unlike the garden, I can mop up tears with my hair. I am aware it's not all that spectacular from others' perspective, and yet, like the plastic flowers that others also reject, I love it passionately. So far, only my partner has witnessed me grabbing a handful and kissing it.:o It is the conduit through which I love myself.

Madora
January 19th, 2012, 07:56 AM
My crowning glory!

Arctic
January 19th, 2012, 08:31 AM
This is very interesting thread and I love reading everyone's answers! I can't really answer myself, though, too difficult! I guess I would mostly say my hair is an accessory for me, but also something soft to touch. I can not really think hair as something that is always there or part of my identity, though, having experienced several changes in my hair during my life, from horrible sheds to hair type changes.

Neneka
January 19th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I don't actually know... For years my hair was actually a kind of a joke to me. I didn't like it. I thought that my natural colour and texture was ugly and I maintained a very weird short fruit bowl cut and sort of just laughed at it. Many people thought that I was a boy and actually I kind of liked that... Hmm... I have never felt that my hair is "right". I think that LHC has helped me with that. At least I like the softness of my hair and I want more of it.

kittymallow
January 19th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I think of my hair as a part of me and my body.. i would be devastated if someone ruined my hair. it would be like ruining an arm or a leg.. i am maybe a little crazy ;P

ladyshep
January 19th, 2012, 09:22 AM
When I was a hairdresser, I learned that hair is a very touchy thing for a lot of people and some just don't care.

As for myself, it feels like protection and power. My hair is very important to me and I have a lot of friends that have very long hair. I also have seen people that have had long hair and ended up with cancer and had to go through chemo and lost it all. How did they feel about that? (They still had a smile on their face.) So I ponder the though of what would happen if I were to ever get cancer and had to go through chemo and all of a sudden all of that hair is gone. Then what. All of the attention I gave to my hair was it all in vain? So, lately, I have been searching what's in the inside of my soul that makes me beautiful. I think beauty is skin deep and have focused a lot of attention on that instead. Then if that dreadful day ever would come, I would know my happiness didn't come from my hair, but from the inside and I would still be able to smile.

Avital88
January 19th, 2012, 09:42 AM
its my baby, my blanket, my protector that keeps me warm, i can hide behind it or i can attract attention with it,it depends on her mood :)

I see my hair as something just for me and its quite sacred to me..its very intimate part of my body that grows outside of it, not many people are allowed to touch it..
Its complicated ofcourse..

lapushka
January 19th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I think of my hair as an unruly pet. I'm quite attached to it, and I'm fiercely protective of its welfare, but my hair's behavior is difficult for me to figure out sometimes. :rolleyes:

How do you think of your hair?

I think this is a pretty awesome description. I totally agree. It's like you're talking about my hair! :D

spidermom
January 19th, 2012, 10:53 AM
It's like a rebellious child lately.

Snippety
January 19th, 2012, 11:02 AM
It's part of my identity, and I hope a flag that states my refusal to conform to western beauty stereotypes. Whether buzz cut or classic, with my grey streaks and along with my piercings and tattoos it helps me feel free from the pressure to cut, dry, dye, to wear false lashes and fake boobs, to plaster my face with stuff. Most of all it just makes me happy (most of the time :D)

Woods Nymph
January 19th, 2012, 02:29 PM
It's my plaything...as well as the one thing I can count on to make myself feel a bit better about my looks. I've never been the girl that people look at & say, "Wow, she's so pretty!" But when I let my hair down, it's like my confidence spikes 100%. It reinforces my femininity, I guess you could say. (I spend a lot of time cleaning animal :poop: of various kinds; I sometimes need that!:D)

ssjhotau2
January 19th, 2012, 02:37 PM
My hair is my hobby. I love experimenting and learning- I love when something works out right my hair feels so silky soft and I can see the glossy shine. I also have started making other people's hair my hobby :p

Nedertane
January 19th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Heh, I think I agree with what someone else said about it being a pet. It can be loveable or frustrating, but at the end of the day, I'm always happy to have it around. I might play with it, or give it a treat that maybe isn't what I should give it (nothing terrible!). I'd be very, very sad without it.

Oh, plus it's soft, so I stroke it often. :D

jacqueline101
January 19th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Its my pride and joy. I love my hair its a part of my identity. Its like your clothing style it reflects you.

PixieKitten
January 19th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Right now, It's a nuisance. It's not at the right length, it curls in all the wrong places..*rants for a while*

But, I do love it. It's a bit like a pet. I feed it and clean it and play with it and talk to it, just like I do with my bunnies, zebra mice, bearded dragons and snake. I don't like to think of it as an accessory, because that makes it feel like it's not a part of me. But at the same time, it doesn't feel like a body part. So yeah. I guess I'll go with disobedient pet that I can't help but shower with affection. :D

dwell_in_safety
January 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM
It is a work of art in progress and constant flux and my biggest hobby.

allycat
January 19th, 2012, 05:32 PM
To me my hair is a sign of my spirituality and has to do with freedom, mysticism, a connection to the natural world, as well as something I keep to honor someone I love and am in mourning for.

PixxieStix
January 19th, 2012, 05:37 PM
My hair is many things to me, a testament to my mental-well being, a part of me I care for as much as the rest of myself, a hobby, a science project, a signature look (well, some day!) that can identify me from across the room. It is the one thing that can always make me feel beautiful.

long&blonde
January 19th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I think of my hair as an unruly pet too. But just as its driving me crazy starts adding up:I'll look in a mirror,& it'll look cute. It became a pet to me;I'd say tailbone. I am mid bcl now:& its "what do I do w/150 pound rottreiler in an efficiency apartment" time. Before I hit waist;my hair was my project. Tailbone to bcl;my pet. It is now heading for new levels of "WTH?" Lol. Add up being 57,w/our belief benign neglect is a good thing? Factor in mid bcl hair? We are talking benign neglect;capital letters. I made the mistake of taking a bun down at work I hadn't undone after sleeping,tried to detangle/brush out,rebun. I think I found a burr in it. Like part of a weed. So there I sit,midst all my daily blowdy and style coworkers:picking jagger bush balls out of my hair. The voice in my head was saying"Maybe this benign neglect bit has got a bit outta hand." Beware philosophies that are just TOO perfect a combo with your own nature. ;)

raveness13
January 19th, 2012, 07:00 PM
My hair is a hobby and a body part. I spend lots of time on my hair, and hair care has become a hobby. It's also like a body part because I care for it just as much as any other part of my body. (Probably more.) I want it to look good but still be healthy. Honestly, my hair is it's own special little obsession ;) , that doesn't fit any term other than hair very well.

Zesty
January 19th, 2012, 09:07 PM
My hair is definitely a big hobby/project for me. I work to keep it in its best condition and to let it grow longer. My nails are similar, but I'm not as invested in them, and I generally try to turn body care into a hobby (to make it fun, since I have to do it anyway!). I also think of my hair as a part of my body, though not on the same level as an arm or a leg. I really enjoy my hair, it makes me feel special and different.

bridgetsgirl
January 19th, 2012, 09:32 PM
My hair is a slow journey, a mostly passive test of my patience and willpower, but mostly an object of my curiosity. How long will it get? Let's see...

owlathena
January 20th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I think of my hair as part body-part/part accessory that reflects my personality. Like my tattoos.

KwaveT
January 20th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I think of my hair as something to help make me more unique. You don't see too many men with long hair. That is what I am in the process of achieving. Like anything else I tend to take on I do get a little obsessed with it at times.

Seeshami
January 20th, 2012, 10:24 AM
An annoying monster that lives on top of my head and causes all sorts of trouble but I love unconditionally and treasure.