PDA

View Full Version : Successful henna removal. Yes, you are reading this correctly.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mairéad
January 6th, 2012, 03:57 PM
REMOVED. Not lightened or bleached in any way. I have my virgin hair. I used a method that a member here with the handle, jojo, has also had success with, and I would like to share my part of the story.

I by no means have any of the scientific facts to make of these claims but if I had to GUESS the factors that could affect the level of success in this method:
1. Age of henna (how long you’ve had hennaed hair).
2. Layers of henna applied.
3. Lawson content.

Now, the process:
I did this four times over a period of time I was comfortable moving forward with. It is gradual, time consuming, and a bit labor intensive but if you REALLY want to remove henna you may just want to do this.

1. I used Color Oops Extra Strength (Color B4 in UK) and instead of leaving it on for the directed 20 minutes I left it on for 3 hours under the cap provided, another shower cap, and a towel. (Jojo used a heated cap).

2. Next I rinsed for 30 minutes. This is key. Color Oops works by shrinking the dye molecules so rinsing them away is necessary and the longer the better. I broke the rinsing in “two parts.” I rinsed for 15 minutes, then I shampooed, then I rinsed for 15 more minutes.

Now, if this amount of time sounds crazy (it is); here is what I recommend.

-Shave. Shave everything you normally shave. (while keeping your head in the stream of the shower of course).

-bring in 30 minutes worth of music or a radio and belt it out in the shower.

-if you have trouble standing for that long in the shower due to physical needs or sheer boredom I recommend a shower stool. I sat in the shower on a stool, pondered life, and sang some tunes.

3. Condition with a no-cone conditioner. Jojo reported re-darkening when using -cone conditioner. This is no problem for me since I avoid –cones like the plague anyway. But for –cone heads I would pick up a very hydrating no-cone conditioner such as Garnier Fructise Triple Nutrition of Tresseme Naturals Aloe and Avocado to use after the treatment and for a few days after as well. Then you may return to –cones to your heart’s content. The rinsing will dry your hair out considerably so give your hair a nice deep conditioner soak and rinse.

4. Do a honey treatment. This will further pull some of the color out but it help re-condition your hair, too. The dilutions can be found in the honey thread and I also recommend using cinnamon as a booster in it as this will not only help with more lifting but also help to cover up a little of the egg smell from the Color Oops even if just temporarily.

-Cons:
I doubt it will work for everyone
Your scalp will probably hate you for awhile
It stinks…for a month…

Now, to the photos!

BEFORE:
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af276/Random_Goldfish/IMG_8097.jpg

AFTER:
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af276/Random_Goldfish/120106-161810.jpg

Don't get me wrong. I love myself with red hair and I think it really suited me . I'm just ridiculously low maintenance and root touch ups are not something I'm willing to do. Besides, I find the golden (with a hint of strawberry) color I have to be quite cute.

brok3nwings
January 6th, 2012, 04:03 PM
You look beautiful both ways! Im glad this worked for you and it seams to be a very good help for those who are in the same situation and dont want to cut their hair... how many layers of henna did you have??

Mairéad
January 6th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I had two. One full strength with a high lawson content and another one that was half cassia. It had been hennaed for about a year. Again, I don't know how many layers or what amount of time is factor, if any, since I was my only subject.

jojo
January 6th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I cannot express how happy i am for you :disco::disco::disco: fantastic results! I ended up putting a dye and another henna gloss on mine after removing it, but I know it is removable with this method. you have got such brilliant results and I am wooping away here!.....you certainly :whip: the henna right outta your hair!!!

Mairéad
January 6th, 2012, 04:37 PM
They say you marry henna but I must have a hell of a divorce lawyer.

jojo
January 6th, 2012, 04:45 PM
LOL! well even tattoo's can be removed if you use the right method!

princessp
January 6th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Wow that is incredible! Thanks for sharing.

Odyssey
January 6th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Great results. I agree that your natural color is quite cute. At least there is a method to try now, though I suppose more research is in order.

Islandgrrl
January 6th, 2012, 05:24 PM
How damaged, if at all, is your hair after the lengthy Color Oops treatment?

BlondieHepburn
January 6th, 2012, 05:31 PM
That is extremely impressive! Too bad I didn't know this 2 years ago, or I might have been able to keep several inches of hair. :mad:
But congratulations on your success, and thanks for sharing! :D

Mairéad
January 6th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Islandgrrl, my hair is in every way the same condition as it was before the process. The only thing with the potential for damage is the amount of rinsing but with adequate conditioning that is also not a problem. Color Oops simply shrinks dye molecules. No lifting and developing.

cheetahfast
January 6th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Wow!!

I'm so tempted...how badly does it smell?
How long in between treatments?

Mairéad
January 6th, 2012, 06:04 PM
You can do the treatments one right after another as long as you think your hair and scalp could handle it. I did my first two three days apart. Then I waited a month just because life was so busy. Then I did the last two three days apart as well.

It smells pretty bad. It's not the worst smell on the planet and I tolerate it pretty well but it's certainly not a desirable one. It only smells strong when your hair is wet and as far as I can tell can only be smelled when dry if someone is actually sniffing your hair.

Neya
January 6th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Color oops ingredients... In case anyones interested.
Part 1 - Deinonized Water, Hydrosulfite, Fragrance, Polysorbate - 80, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Cocamidopropylhydroxysultaine

Part 2 - Deionized Water, Citric Acid, Cocamidopropylhydroxysultaine, Xantham Gum

I've used part 1 without part 2 and it worked OK (which is just added surfacants besides the citric acid). It's mostly the sulfite base that do the work by shrinking the molecules.

It can be drying, probably due more to the high amount of surfacants. Sulphur based items can also be drying. I wouldn't say it feels "damaged" but more like it(the hair) needs a good moisture treatment then its OK. Some people with already damaged hair might dry it out too much.

It also smells like EGGS. Gag. I hated the smell of this stuff, but it does the job well on the right dye's.

cheetahfast
January 6th, 2012, 06:20 PM
You can do the treatments one right after another as long as you think your hair and scalp could handle it. I did my first two three days apart. Then I waited a month just because life was so busy. Then I did the last two three days apart as well.

It smells pretty bad. It's not the worst smell on the planet and I tolerate it pretty well but it's certainly not a desirable one. It only smells strong when your hair is wet and as far as I can tell can only be smelled when dry if someone is actually sniffing your hair.

Thanks so much for the info! I'm only a little hesitant since my henna is over a demi-dye, which is brown. I might end up with blonde hair in the length and about 6-8 inches of dark roots.
I also did indigo and buxus over my henna, but it seems to be coming out fast since my hair is red again.

Then again the blonde didn't look bad, I just got annoyed by roots, hmmm, I'd rather be half blonde than have this red in it.

Your hair turned out lovely!

BranwenWolf
January 6th, 2012, 07:42 PM
If Color Oops is similar to ColorFix, I couldn't stand it much longer than half an hour/40 minutes, as it was burning my scalp. I went for half-arsed removal of henndigo and wound up doing some dye work to cover resulting green.

Your removal seemed to go fantastic, though!

Mairéad
January 6th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I went to check the ingredients of Colorfix and they are extremely similar to ColorOops. I imagine you would have a similar reaction. My scalp didn't burn but it did get quite itchy for up to a day afterward.

Carissamarie08
January 6th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I like your natural hair color best. :)

ktani
January 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Fantastic results - very well done!

Schrei777
January 6th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I like your natural hair color best. :)

I agree. The red was really pretty, but I think your natural color suits you much better. :)

Ravenwind
January 6th, 2012, 08:16 PM
That's awesome! I love the color henna gives me but I'm curious to see what I would look like with my natural hair color. May have to try this sometime :)

Btw, I have chemical dye underneath my henna. Do you think it would lift all of the colors?

akilina
January 6th, 2012, 08:35 PM
hmm....gives me hope that i can give this a try!! i might try it on my next days off...which is thursday. ill do a few SMTs too...maybe one every day...or every other. SMTs seem to wash out a lot of my henna. maybe ill do a heavy oiling too. do the color oops on thursday and re color my hair on friday. i love the shine henna gives me but im tired of it already...its uneven and doesnt even look how i want it to.

Mairéad
January 6th, 2012, 08:38 PM
That's awesome! I love the color henna gives me but I'm curious to see what I would look like with my natural hair color. May have to try this sometime :)

Btw, I have chemical dye underneath my henna. Do you think it would lift all of the colors?

If you have chem dyes it should lift those eventually as well. But, since hair dyes have developers in them, don't expect the color to be completely virgin underneath.

Ravenwind
January 6th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Right right. It's like years worth of chemical dyes :( but I hope if I try this that I get good results :)

cheetahfast
January 6th, 2012, 09:08 PM
If you have chem dyes it should lift those eventually as well. But, since hair dyes have developers in them, don't expect the color to be completely virgin underneath.

Do demi permanent dyes have developer in them too?

I know it can't lighten the hair and has no bleach in it.

ETA: Actually I'm scared since my hair was lightened before with sun in and lemon juice for years before I dyed it with the demi and the henna that it will lighten to orange. I've read that color oops can do it.
Does anyone know the chances of it?

akilina
January 6th, 2012, 09:30 PM
cheetahfast- semi permanent dyes dont have developer in them. they dont penetrate as much and their dye molecules are huge so they wash out. As for demi permanent dyes...yes. you have to use developer with it so the chemical reaction happens. demi just isnt permanent and doesnt penetrate the hair as deep.

cheetahfast
January 6th, 2012, 09:36 PM
cheetahfast- semi permanent dyes dont have developer in them. they dont penetrate as much and their dye molecules are huge so they wash out. As for demi permanent dyes...yes. you have to use developer with it so the chemical reaction happens. demi just isnt permanent and doesnt penetrate the hair as deep.

Hmm thanks. I'm just trying to figure out what my chances of ending up with orange hair are, before I attempt this. I guess that means the demi color might not get lifted out as much.

akilina
January 6th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Hmm thanks. I'm just trying to figure out what my chances of ending up with orange hair are, before I attempt this. I guess that means the demi color might not get lifted out as much.
give it a try! :] i lifted out permanent black dye pretty successfully. red is the last to leave so if you have any in your hair at all its very possible it will pull brassy.
my plan was to use the color oops maybe twice and see what i come out with then use a demi permanent dye with ash tone in it close to my natural color to tone out any excess brassiness and try to grow out my natural hair a little bit

MagicalMystery
January 6th, 2012, 11:45 PM

Haha! Tell me about it!

cheetahfast
January 7th, 2012, 07:34 AM
give it a try! :] i lifted out permanent black dye pretty successfully. red is the last to leave so if you have any in your hair at all its very possible it will pull brassy.
my plan was to use the color oops maybe twice and see what i come out with then use a demi permanent dye with ash tone in it close to my natural color to tone out any excess brassiness and try to grow out my natural hair a little bit

Ah thanks! My issue is that I don't want to dye over it after if it looks a bit orange. I'm also a scardy cat of what the previously lightened parts will react like. It's good to hear it worked well in your hair.

Mairéad
January 7th, 2012, 09:07 AM
My hair was virgin under my henna but it will be interesting to see if this has a different effect on those with chemically treated hair underneath. Even though you don't want to put a dye over I imagine all it would take is a no-lift dye like Second Nature that contains green tones to knock that brassiness out.

lastnite
January 7th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I wonder if you could do a mermaid soak instead..running water for 30 minutes seems like such a waste.

Lissandria
January 7th, 2012, 07:20 PM
very well done!

cheetahfast
January 7th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I bought a box tonight! I'm going to mix up small amounts and test it on one strand before making the plunge of whole head.
My hair isn't totally virgin so I want to be careful :D

I wonder if you could do a mermaid soak instead..running water for 30 minutes seems like such a waste.

I was thinking that too!!

Alvrodul
January 7th, 2012, 10:01 PM
This!!
:laugh:
Good to see your hair survived - I doubt mine would have fared so well. I am still passionately in love with henna, so am not planning to get rid of it any time soon (if ever) :)

PixxieStix
January 7th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Those results are amazing, well done indeed! I'm pretty lazy about my touch ups, I have an inch or so of root to do, thankfully it blends okay with the stuff that has been hennaed already. Like Alvrodul, I'm still very much in love with henna and can see myself using it until I start to go gray/silver, and then I will let that grow out. If however, something changes my mind between now and then, I will try this method.

Ravenwind
January 8th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I am currently sitting with Color Oops in my hair, and it smells HORRIBLE. I am definitely doing a honey treatment with cinnamon after this!! xD I hope to achieve my natural hair color (or close to) again with this :)

Damiana
January 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Wow!:surprise: I never expected anything would get rid of henna without totally trashing the hair so this sounds amazing! My hair has a good few layers of henna on the length which is now roughly at MBL and I had been considering growing out. My natural colour is mid to mousey brown and If I grow out I'll have a "tidemark" to be sure.
I'm so tempted to try this but a bit scared too! I definitely need to think on this...:)

Maktub
January 9th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Everyone that tries this, PLEASE report back your experiences !!!

Anywhere
January 9th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I'm just afraid the color oops will lighten my natural hair.

And my 6" of bleached ends are.. well. Not sure if I want them blonde again. Would have to re-dye that :p

I do want to get my glosses out though. My ashy brown is showing and it looks odd. Guess i'll try it this weekend.

cheetahfast
January 9th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Everyone that tries this, PLEASE report back your experiences !!!

It worked! :)

Before: Very dark and red in sunlight.
After: No more henna!!! I'm a golden blonde/dirty blonde in sunlight.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9509&pictureid=123245http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9509&pictureid=123246

I only did it once (after strand testing) and skipped the honey lightening step.
I don't think I'll do it again. I'm happy with the results.
FYI--It removed the henna, buxus, and indigo. I had demi dye underneath it, which was a nice brown and seems to be partly removed as well.

And my 6" of bleached ends are.. well. Not sure if I want them blonde again. Would have to re-dye that

I do want to get my glosses out though. My ashy brown is showing and it looks odd. Guess i'll try it this weekend.

I would be careful, my roots did get lightened a bit, though it matches the lighter parts of my hair and doesn't look bad.

I'm so glad Mairéad posted this thread!!! :D

Maktub
January 9th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Good for you !

Any change in texture ? Damage ? Dryness ?

Mairéad
January 9th, 2012, 03:08 PM

And my 6" of bleached ends are.. well. Not sure if I want them blonde again. Would have to re-dye that :p

One thing I did notice was initially after doing this my hair was really bright, but it did tone down after a few days.

Mairéad
January 9th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Good for you !

Nope, in fact, after doing a nice deep condition my hair felt exactly as it does after being clarified.

cheetahfast
January 9th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Good for you !

None!!

My hair is naturally a bit dry. When I first rinsed it my hair felt so nice, silky. I think the rinsing for 30 minutes is worse for my hair than the color oops. By the time I was done rinsing my hair felt a bit weird. I had shampooed twice (Burts Bees--no SLS). I conditioned as normal and it dried how it usually does without product.

Anywhere
January 9th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Ok I have a question. Did you clarify/wash your hair first, or did you have "dirty" hair like for dyeing? :hmm:

Mairéad
January 9th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I've done it on my 1 day hair and I've done it on 3 or 4 day hair, too. I don't know if it's better on dirtier or cleaner hair but I've seemed to have gotten to this point having done it on both. I think I leaned towards doing it on dirtier hair since I knew the treatment itself would clean the hair and that I would be shampooing half way through the rinsing as well.

cheetahfast
January 9th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Ok I have a question. Did you clarify/wash your hair first, or did you have "dirty" hair like for dyeing? :hmm:

It's applied to dry hair.

Mine was pretty clean since I washed it the day before and made sure to not put in any leave-ins or oils.

cheetahfast
January 9th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I've done it on my 1 day hair and I've done it on 3 or 4 day hair, too. I don't know if it's better on dirtier or cleaner hair but I've seemed to have gotten to this point having done it on both. I think I leaned towards doing it on dirtier hair since I knew the treatment itself would clean the hair and that I would be shampooing half way through the rinsing as well.

I agree my scalp is so clean now!!

Damiana
January 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM
That is AMAZING, what a result for you cheetahfast! Looks like I'm going to try this, just need to find the equivalent product in the UK:) X

Anywhere
January 9th, 2012, 03:57 PM
It's applied to dry hair.

Mine was pretty clean since I washed it the day before and made sure to not put in any leave-ins or oils.

Yes I know the dry part, but by my question I meant I was wondering if I should wash, let it dry, and then put the color fix on, rather than wait a day or put it on oiled hair or hair with leave in.

Guess I'll let it get a bit dirty first.

Mairéad
January 9th, 2012, 03:57 PM
That is AMAZING, what a result for you cheetahfast! Looks like I'm going to try this, just need to find the equivalent product in the UK:) X

I believe there is an equivalent called Color B4 in the UK. Should be at Boots and probably other places.

vamq
January 9th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I would be very interested if somebody knows a similar product that is available in Holland, or the rest of Europe! (shipping from the US or from UK is just not going to work, since I'm afraid border security will not allow this..)

Please let me know:)

GlennaGirl
January 9th, 2012, 04:25 PM
REMOVED. Not lightened or bleached in any way. I have my virgin hair. I used a method that a member here with the handle, jojo, has also had success with, and I would like to share my part of the story.

I by no means have any of the scientific facts to make of these claims but if I had to GUESS the factors that could affect the level of success in this method:
1. Age of henna (how long you’ve had hennaed hair).
2. Layers of henna applied.
3. Lawson content.

Now, the process:
I did this four times over a period of time I was comfortable moving forward with. It is gradual, time consuming, and a bit labor intensive but if you REALLY want to remove henna you may just want to do this.

1. I used Color Oops Extra Strength (Color B4 in UK) and instead of leaving it on for the directed 20 minutes I left it on for 3 hours under the cap provided, another shower cap, and a towel. (Jojo used a heated cap).

2. Next I rinsed for 30 minutes. This is key. Color Oops works by shrinking the dye molecules so rinsing them away is necessary and the longer the better. I broke the rinsing in “two parts.” I rinsed for 15 minutes, then I shampooed, then I rinsed for 15 more minutes.

Now, if this amount of time sounds crazy (it is); here is what I recommend.

-Shave. Shave everything you normally shave. (while keeping your head in the stream of the shower of course).

-bring in 30 minutes worth of music or a radio and belt it out in the shower.

-if you have trouble standing for that long in the shower due to physical needs or sheer boredom I recommend a shower stool. I sat in the shower on a stool, pondered life, and sang some tunes.

3. Condition with a no-cone conditioner. Jojo reported re-darkening when using -cone conditioner. This is no problem for me since I avoid –cones like the plague anyway. But for –cone heads I would pick up a very hydrating no-cone conditioner such as Garnier Fructise Triple Nutrition of Tresseme Naturals Aloe and Avocado to use after the treatment and for a few days after as well. Then you may return to –cones to your heart’s content. The rinsing will dry your hair out considerably so give your hair a nice deep conditioner soak and rinse.

4. Do a honey treatment. This will further pull some of the color out but it help re-condition your hair, too. The dilutions can be found in the honey thread and I also recommend using cinnamon as a booster in it as this will not only help with more lifting but also help to cover up a little of the egg smell from the Color Oops even if just temporarily.

-Cons:
I doubt it will work for everyone
Your scalp will probably hate you for awhile
It stinks…for a month…

Now, to the photos!

BEFORE:
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af276/Random_Goldfish/IMG_8097.jpg

AFTER:
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af276/Random_Goldfish/120106-161810.jpg

Don't get me wrong. I love myself with red hair and I think it really suited me . I'm just ridiculously low maintenance and root touch ups are not something I'm willing to do. Besides, I find the golden (with a hint of strawberry) color I have to be quite cute.

Holy guacamole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maktub
January 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Does it also take any color out of your NATURAL color, with the henna and dye etc. ?

Ravenwind
January 9th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I did this last night, and I was SO amazed at how much color it took out!
At first I was excited to see that my hair turned a dark strawberry blonde. Then I started noticing how brassy my hair color is, and it's really making me miss my henna hair :( I'm really tempted to buy some more henna and just let my natural hair color grow out. Plus I can't stand the smell of color oops. My hair reeks and I don't like the way my hair feels. I'm not sure I want to do this a few more times xD... I know with time this smell and feeling will go away, but idk, maybe I'm just being pessimistic about this :\

Maktub
January 9th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I did this last night, and I was SO amazed at how much color it took out!
At first I was excited to see that my hair turned a dark strawberry blonde. Then I started noticing how brassy my hair color is, and it's really making me miss my henna hair :( I'm really tempted to buy some more henna and just let my natural hair color grow out. Plus I can't stand the smell of color oops. My hair reeks and I don't like the way my hair feels. I'm not sure I want to do this a few more times xD... I know with time this smell and feeling will go away, but idk, maybe I'm just being pessimistic about this :\

Did you condition ? Does your hair feel damaged ?
Do you think you got your natural color completely back ?

Hope you are soon happy with the results :grouphug:

Ravenwind
January 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I did condition with a deep conditioner, then this morning I did a honey treatment (expecting it would make my hair feel softer and smell better, it does smell better) and shampooed and conditioned with an organic conditioner. It doesn't feel damaged, just very sticky and stringy and hard to brush :(

My natural hair color is a dark blonde and the results I got were dark strawberry blonde. But I did used to dye my hair with chemical dyes so I imagine it will take some time before it gets to my natural color.

theodora
January 9th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Awesome results, way to go!
I did 3 super strength colour B4 this summer to remove my henna (over bleached hair) and even after that I had a little bit of brass leftover so I did 2 bleach baths (bleach powder + 20 vol peroxide diluted in shampoo) over the course of a few months. It's now finally back to being ashy mostly. (aside from the fact it's dyed lavender at the moment but that's another story).
You're lucky yours went away so quickly ;)

sarahramen
January 9th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Oh wow those are such good results, especially with no damage! i'm subscribing to this thread just in case :)

Mairéad
January 9th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Does it also take any color out of your NATURAL color, with the henna and dye etc. ?

It only has the ability to shrink dye molecules. You natural color will be untouched.

I did condition with a deep conditioner, then this morning I did a honey treatment (expecting it would make my hair feel softer and smell better, it does smell better) and shampooed and conditioned with an organic conditioner. It doesn't feel damaged, just very sticky and stringy and hard to brush :(

My natural hair color is a dark blonde and the results I got were dark strawberry blonde. But I did used to dye my hair with chemical dyes so I imagine it will take some time before it gets to my natural color.

If you used chem dyes you won't get your natural back. Hair dyes lift your natural hair color so what's underneath the dye is going to be the lifted color. Your hair will probably feel a little stiff for a few days but condition it well and it should return to normal.

vanity_acefake
January 9th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I read extensively a question answer thing with Scott Cornwall and one of the things he talked about was the problem people who dyed their hair lots and used straighteners frequently. According to him the hair that had been treated that way has changed structure and nothing could remove the colour.
Aha! I've found it.

Originally Posted by Scott Cornwall
"The issue I have with XXL is it contains a huge amount of sillicone which isn't a problem, unless you use straightening irons over 200 degrees in heat. Then the sillicone hits it's boiling point and melts inside the hair. Then nothing can ever get the stuff out - not even bleach.

I get so many really rude e-mails from people saying Coloiur B4 has been a waste of money and it always turns out they've used XXL and then been battering their hair with boiling hot irons. They are always amazed when I make them do a bleach strand test to discover even that won't lighten it away.."

If you have done this to your hair I strongly do not advise you to use either of the colour strippers.

Mairéad
January 9th, 2012, 09:00 PM
That actually makes a ton of sense.

jojo
January 9th, 2012, 09:45 PM
It only has the ability to shrink dye molecules. You natural color will be untouched.

If you used chem dyes you won't get your natural back. Hair dyes lift your natural hair color so what's underneath the dye is going to be the lifted color. Your hair will probably feel a little stiff for a few days but condition it well and it should return to normal.

Well it did with mine, but i think it was a peroxide/amonia free one not sure! it took 3 or 4 treatments though. The color oops or colour B4 shrinks the dyed parts first, the henna is the stuborn bit, i had a brown dye over a henna gloss and then indigo over that so it was dark
this is my natural colour all virgin
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/crop.jpg
this heavy gloss
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/CIMG0163-1.jpg
this is the indigo
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/sockbuncurls.jpg
and this is after 3 or 4 i forget treatments, i did quite a few honey treatments before starting the CB4 and the end result
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/hairchange6-1-1.jpg
close ups
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/flickblond.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/closeupblonde.jpg

then i got bored and put a semi on! but id have no qualms about doing this again if i got bored, i saw no damage at all. but I do think the heat helped a lot as did finishing with a honey treatment.

Ravenwind
January 9th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I love everyone's results, but I think I'm just too impatient to keep trying this method xP the cost of Color Oops here is pretty expensive and for now I'm just gonna redye my hair with henna and slowly grow out my natural color. I still think this is a great method, and I believe it really does work. At least I can say I tried! :)

Maktub
January 9th, 2012, 10:34 PM
this is quite a revolutionary thread ! :D

jojo
January 9th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I would highly recommend patience when doing this, take a few weeks doing a couple or more honey treatments and then move onto the color oops/CB4. I really do think you get better results, especially when you have a few layers on your hair, the honey I think breaks the henna overcoat.

The only other thing that removes henna is peroxide and thats damaging, honey contains a natural peroxide which is released when put with water, distilled is better; i mixed mine also with a bit of olive oil ( to as well as the honey moiturise and it also releases a peroxide) and cinnamon which is a natural lightener.

If you have henna dont worry about it bleaching your hair, it will just weaken the henna bond and make the 2nd part easier. Then move onto your color oops/CB4 and finish with a honey treatment, which will not only help remove/lighten any stuborn colour but will add the moisture back that the treatment takes out.

Heat also helps speed up the process but it is a long tedious, smelling like rotten farts for 6 weeks in my case affair but worth it. I did mine in October and then stupidly went in the sun without a hat, my hair was in a bun and my hair which naturally goes blonder in the sun, ended up lighter from the ears up, so I put a semi and a weak gloss on the top but i am actually tempted to try this again, as i think id only need one application.

I am so happy this worked for the op.

Rosa
January 10th, 2012, 05:18 AM
I would be very interested if somebody knows a similar product that is available in Holland, or the rest of Europe! (shipping from the US or from UK is just not going to work, since I'm afraid border security will not allow this..)

Please let me know:)

I think that, as Holland and the UK are both in the EU, you won't need to pay customs on products from England. I'm based in the Netherlands too and order from Amazon and UK companies quite often, and have never had problems. I've ordered everything from spices to amla and henna. You can find Colour B4 on Amazon. I checked it today, and the seller sends to Europe.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hair-Colour-Remover-darker-B4/dp/B003IPTTLA
Alternatively, you could try Ebay perhaps? Good luck!

Rosa
January 10th, 2012, 05:22 AM
I would highly recommend patience when doing this, take a few weeks doing a couple or more honey treatments and then move onto the color oops/CB4. I really do think you get better results, especially when you have a few layers on your hair, the honey I think breaks the henna overcoat.

The only other thing that removes henna is peroxide and thats damaging, honey contains a natural peroxide which is released when put with water, distilled is better; i mixed mine also with a bit of olive oil ( to as well as the honey moiturise and it also releases a peroxide) and cinnamon which is a natural lightener.

If you have henna dont worry about it bleaching your hair, it will just weaken the henna bond and make the 2nd part easier. Then move onto your color oops/CB4 and finish with a honey treatment, which will not only help remove/lighten any stuborn colour but will add the moisture back that the treatment takes out.

Heat also helps speed up the process but it is a long tedious, smelling like rotten farts for 6 weeks in my case affair but worth it. I did mine in October and then stupidly went in the sun without a hat, my hair was in a bun and my hair which naturally goes blonder in the sun, ended up lighter from the ears up, so I put a semi and a weak gloss on the top but i am actually tempted to try this again, as i think id only need one application.

I am so happy this worked for the op.

Thank you JoJo! Do you need to be apply the Colour B4 super accurately, as precisely as you apply dye to roots? Or can you smoosh it onto the hair? I'm always prone to missing bits and am wondering whether I'll get a strange patchy or streaky result if I'm not super careful about putting the stuff on. Did you have any problems with application? I'm really excited at your results! There's hope yet!

Damiana
January 10th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks, Mairead:) I got some from Boots today! I think if I need multiple treatments I'll have to do it once a month 'cos it's a bit expensive though everyone's results have been really encouraging. Now, to find the time to do it and have enough hot water in the tank for the rinse,lol! X

vamq
January 10th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I think that, as Holland and the UK are both in the EU, you won't need to pay customs on products from England. I'm based in the Netherlands too and order from Amazon and UK companies quite often, and have never had problems. I've ordered everything from spices to amla and henna. You can find Colour B4 on Amazon. I checked it today, and the seller sends to Europe.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hair-Colour-Remover-darker-B4/dp/B003IPTTLA
Alternatively, you could try Ebay perhaps? Good luck!

I tried this, but you need a credit card to pay, and I don't have one, neither am I in the position to get one (not like I'm broke or something, but I'm only 21 and I live with my parents who'd kill me if they found out I have a credit card)

Somebody else knows a European option?
(or an online European store that does not require a credit card, but just works with paypal..)

Ravenwind
January 10th, 2012, 08:57 AM
After sleeping on it, I think I might want to try this again. After leaving my hair up in a bun all day and while I was sleeping, the smell has gone away for the most part :D I just got frustrated and gave up too soon. I just hope all of the chemical dyes I used will lift, because I used permanent and semi permanent hair color. Guess we'll see!

Maktub
January 10th, 2012, 09:30 AM
After sleeping on it, I think I might want to try this again. After leaving my hair up in a bun all day and while I was sleeping, the smell has gone away for the most part :D I just got frustrated and gave up too soon. I just hope all of the chemical dyes I used will lift, because I used permanent and semi permanent hair color. Guess we'll see!

Do / did you use a flat iron on your hair ?

Ravenwind
January 10th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I only use it on my bangs, but I use to straighten my hair all the time which fried the ends of the shortest layers of my hair. That's where it's the most brassiest.

Maktub
January 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Because there is something on this thread about the product not working when hair had been heated under a flat iron, as this melted the inside part of the hair / not letting the dye molecules out (if I understood well)

MandyBeth
January 10th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Can the Colorfix be used over henna that acts like it has metallic dye properties?

Ravenwind
January 10th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Yeah I was kinda wondering about the color.. the rest of my hair is fine, it's just the fried parts that are really bright. They lighten up really quickly any time I dyed my hair, and with henna too.

Of the Fae
January 10th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Wow :) Good results!
I'm not willing to give up my red locks now (or the next few years), however if I knew this a few years ago I would have been at waist length now perhaps!
Your natural colour looks fantastic on you, I like it better :D

Anywhere
January 10th, 2012, 10:37 AM
So i ordered 3 from Walgreens. It's about $9/ea there compared to the $13/ea at CVS (the only place in my area that apparently has color oops...).

And the sales tax online is a bit cheaper than it is in person. :D

If 3 turns out to be more than enough color oops then I will use it to remove blue dye in a month or two.. to speed up the awkward greenish faded phase. :p

3-7 days until I can begin now.

ETA: So flat ironed hair won't lift? What if it was flat ironed before henna, but not with the henna in there?
oh well. Worth a shot either way I suppose..

vanity_acefake
January 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM
The flat ironing is only a problem if you have dyed your hair with a dye containing silicon. Apparently flat ironing melts the silicon and it solidifies inside your hair basically turning your hair plastic. Nothing, not even bleaching will remove the dye if this has happened.

Ravenwind
January 10th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I have no idea if the dye I used contained silicon. I'm kinda thinking I should put this off just in case.

NaiadOreiad
January 10th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I am really considering this!! At the roots though, my hair is virgin and very healthy: I don't want to damage it. In the center, its just henna over my virgin color: this is what I want to get rid of! Was it necessary to keep it on for 3 hours?? or do you think 2 hours would be enough?

Also: my ends are henna over chemically dyes and lightening. Would the coloroops rid these to shreds? I think after all the henna has lifted i will dye the end purple. I don't want to be forced to chop them though.

THIS IS SO TEMPTING!!

GlennaGirl
January 10th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I am so afraid to try Color Oops. Does it really not damage? I don't know why, but I just can't envision that.

vamq
January 10th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I think I found a way to get me some ColorB4 :D
(I love my henna, but it just got too dark for me, and that makes maintenance high...which -as a very busy student- I don't have time for lately. I would already be happy to be strawberry blonde again, which is pretty darn close to my natural haircolor:))

Now, what I wanted to know, did anybody using this product noticed increased shedding? If so, how much..?

Maktub
January 10th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I am so afraid to try Color Oops. Does it really not damage? I don't know why, but I just can't envision that.

I'm kind of scared too. What if the damage shows up in a few weeks, as it sometimes happen with bleach ?

I'll keep reading your experiences, keep posting !

Anje
January 10th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Interesting.... There's a part of me that thinks it would be cool to go back to my natural auburn, instead of this dark red tone. I've been unsuccessful at breaking myself of the henna habit so far, though, not least because I can see the two-toned-ness even if no one else can.

If nothing else, it's great to know that this exists, so when I want to allow my hair to go gray, I can potentially remove the henna instead of doing the two-toned thing.

Nightshade
January 10th, 2012, 02:13 PM
For what it's worth, I used ColorFix some years ago to pull the dye out from under my henna. I can say that, now looking back about 3 years, that there was zero damage from it.

Mairéad
January 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I'm kind of scared too. What if the damage shows up in a few weeks, as it sometimes happen with bleach ?

For what it's worth it has been 2 months since I started my first treatment and my hair is still not damaged. I can't speak from the experience of people who already have damaged hair or hair chem dyes in their hair as my hair was completely virgin under the henna and my hair is so resistant to splitting that I can't recall ever seeing one on my own head.

akilina
January 10th, 2012, 11:01 PM
ugh so i have the next two days off....
im having trouble! i cant decide if i should keep my henna or give up on it and do something else.
im so so soooo impulsive too so i really want to try this.
i also really want to grow out my natural color atleast a little bit and see what it actually looks like . if i got rid of the henna i could do this easier
i need help :(

ReadingRenee
January 10th, 2012, 11:45 PM
That is awesome! If only I had known that 3 years ago! I might still have waist length hair or longer... Ahh well. I grew mine out for two years til I couldn't stand it anymore and chopped it. So glad it worked for you!

jojo
January 11th, 2012, 12:51 AM

it is 4 months ago and still no damage has occurred with my hair, it is in the excact same condition as before.

jojo
January 11th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Thank you JoJo! Do you need to be apply the Colour B4 super accurately, as precisely as you apply dye to roots? Or can you smoosh it onto the hair? I'm always prone to missing bits and am wondering whether I'll get a strange patchy or streaky result if I'm not super careful about putting the stuff on. Did you have any problems with application? I'm really excited at your results! There's hope yet!

i just put it on the same as a chemical box dye and then combed it through to make sure it covered all my hair. No problems with application whatsoever but be warned it smells of eggy farts for a good 6 weeks!

Anainwonderland
January 11th, 2012, 01:55 AM
OOOOOHHH im so excited to try this because im a natural blonde but didnt start dyeing my hair with henna till after i used 1 application of a brunette brown dye. I would love to go lighter so i can re henna and it be more orange (ginger) instead of auburn. :)

GlennaGirl
January 11th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I don't want to hijack this thread, so I put all the results of my Color Oops experiment on my blog (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=2831). It DID lighten. I'm not blonde or anything (grin) but I am noticeably lighter and so far nothing has "re-oxidized" (it's the morning after having done it in the afternoon) at this point...I am very, very, very happy with the results...I have reverse-ombre (I was told that term yesterday on here!) hair though it's subtle...Love it!

Mairéad
January 11th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I don't want to hijack this thread, so I put all the results of my Color Oops experiment on my blog (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=2831). It DID lighten. I'm not blonde or anything (grin) but I am noticeably lighter and so far nothing has "re-oxidized" (it's the morning after having done it in the afternoon) at this point...I am very, very, very happy with the results...I have reverse-ombre (I was told that term yesterday on here!) hair though it's subtle...Love it!

Keep in mind that I did this four times to get back to my natural color which is a medium blonde, so if you are looking for lighter (assuming you're a blonde by your reply) than additional applications will yield lighter results. Of course give sufficient recovery time in between treatments. It isn't a damaging treatment in the way coloring or bleaching is but it does dry out the hair which could lead to damage down the road if not treated well. But we all know that and treat our hair well. :D

GlennaGirl
January 11th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Keep in mind that I did this four times to get back to my natural color which is a medium blonde, so if you are looking for lighter (assuming you're a blonde by your reply) than additional applications will yield lighter results. Of course give sufficient recovery time in between treatments. It isn't a damaging treatment in the way coloring or bleaching is but it does dry out the hair which could lead to damage down the road if not treated well. But we all know that and treat our hair well. :D

Hi, Mairead! Thank you. I'm a light ash brown (very light). I may do some sort of "golden" coat over my regrowth as the months go on but I'm happy to do that and grow things out this way...I think it's all going to blend well.

My blonde comment was because years ago I colored my hair blonde all the time and I still covet the blondeness in a way, LOL...

So I don't think I'll be repeating the application for now, but I will keep that in mind in case.

GlennaGirl
January 12th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Just for everyone's info: my hair just feels and looks very dry. :( I did the process two days ago. I have it argan and jojoba oiled and bunned and will leave it at least one more day, or two if I can stand it before washing, and at that time I'll CO.

Noteworthy is that I did the JF Go Blonder conditioner several times before I tried Oops, and it could be the Go Blonder that made my hair dry, since there have been reports of that. Just sayin'.

Just a report for anyone considering trying the method. I did only leave the Oops in my hair for 20 minutes (before the very long rinsing).

Let's see what happens in a couple days when my hair has "calmed down" a little and I have COd. I may get my moisture back. :)

GlennaGirl
January 12th, 2012, 12:19 PM

Mairead, how much time did you leave between each Oopsing?

Mairéad
January 12th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I personally waited 3-4 days between each one. But, that's only because I know what my hair can handle and it's quite a bit. I'd say to wait until your hair is feeling moisturized again. There's no sense in doing something drying while your hair is still feeling dry. Dry hair is a fact of the treatment because of the rinsing. So I would get that moisture back in the hair, do something that can seal it, let it breathe, and repeat.

Maktub
January 12th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Just for everyone's info: my hair just feels and looks very dry. :( I did the process two days ago. I have it argan and jojoba oiled and bunned and will leave it at least one more day, or two if I can stand it before washing, and at that time I'll CO.

Noteworthy is that I did the JF Go Blonder conditioner several times before I tried Oops, and it could be the Go Blonder that made my hair dry, since there have been reports of that. Just sayin'.

Just a report for anyone considering trying the method. I did only leave the Oops in my hair for 20 minutes (before the very long rinsing).

Let's see what happens in a couple days when my hair has "calmed down" a little and I have COd. I may get my moisture back. :)

Hopefully Co'ing will help the dryness ! Did you oil damp or dry ? (form me, oiling dry - dry hair, oiling damp = nice soft hair)

GlennaGirl
January 12th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks, you guys. :)

RocketDog
January 12th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Just curious - how long did everyone henna BEFORE trying this? I am considering this, but I have three years' worth of henna applications on my hair, mostly root apps but I did a full head mudding a few times a year, too. I'd hate to commit to this rather unpleasant sounding process if all I will accomplish is drying out my hair.

GlennaGirl
January 12th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Just curious - how long did everyone henna BEFORE trying this? I am considering this, but I have three years' worth of henna applications on my hair, mostly root apps but I did a full head mudding a few times a year, too. I'd hate to commit to this rather unpleasant sounding process if all I will accomplish is drying out my hair.

I have about a year worth of hendigo on my ends, graduating backward in time up to the roots, which I last dyed about a month and a half ago.

ETA: The bottom half of my length is hendigoed, both two-step and one-step, around four or five times. After that, in gradiations (since I was doing roots-only), every inch or so is probably two to three two-step hendigoing.

Maktub
January 12th, 2012, 10:10 PM

Good question, I'm also wondering...

I have 2.5 years and something like 10 coatings of full henna /katam on my hair... And it helped so much with the damage I had back then that I'm scared I could discover the damage under there if I get the henna out... lol

Watching this thread ... and patiently growing my henna out for now ... :D

RocketDog
January 12th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I, too, have started growing mine out. I get a lovely color with henna, and I have no regrets at all, but if it is truly possible to remove even some of the henna from my hair to ease the growout, I'm interested in seeing what I can achieve... as long as I am not sacrificing the condition of my hair in the process.

Ravenwind
January 13th, 2012, 12:15 AM
I have had henna on my hair since summer time of this year, dyed 3 times. Around July or August. After I used color oops my hair turned kind of a copper color. Not the dark strawberry blonde I thought it was :P

ETA: Oops, I mean last year. It's not 2011 anymore xP

cheetahfast
January 13th, 2012, 09:03 AM

I henna'ed once in October 2011 with strawberry blonde rusalki from Nightblooming, I believe it was not pure henna.

Then I used buxus/indigo maybe 8-10 times over it, since it kept washing out and fading. My last one was in mid December 2011.

I used the color oops on Monday, and it worked really well, however I think since I had a brown demi done in a salon over my hair last January it helped the stuff get pulled out easier. My hair is about the color it was before I henna'ed, maybe a bit lighter. The demi still remains a bit since I had super blonde hair underneath it.

Nightshade
January 13th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I henna'ed once in October 2011 with strawberry blonde rusalki from Nightblooming, I believe it was not pure henna.

If by "pure henna" you mean 100% henna, then no it wasn't. It is, however 100% herbal without any chemicals in it, as listed in the description:

Ingredients: Cassia Obovata, Chamomile, Henna, Ginger & Herbal Blend (Powdered horsetail, yellow dock, burdock, marshmallow root, aloe, chamomile, hibiscus, and nettle)

cheetahfast
January 13th, 2012, 09:11 AM
If by "pure henna" you mean 100% henna, then no it wasn't. It is, however 100% herbal without any chemicals in it, as listed in the description:

Ingredients: Cassia Obovata, Chamomile, Henna, Ginger & Herbal Blend (Powdered horsetail, yellow dock, burdock, marshmallow root, aloe, chamomile, hibiscus, and nettle)

Yes I meant the bolded! I knew there weren't any chemicals.
Thanks for posting the ingredients. :)

Anje
January 13th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Question for anyone who's done this who also has some gray: Have you gotten the grays all the way back to silver, or do they stay a bit stained?

2011 was a year from he11 for me, in terms of stress. I've got about an inch of roots and was noticing last night that the silvers are starting to come in thick and fast, and I'm blaming all the crazy situations. At least they're pretty sparkly things.

Nightshade
January 13th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Yes I meant the bolded! I knew there weren't any chemicals.
Thanks for posting the ingredients. :)

No problem :flowers:

t_ballet26
January 13th, 2012, 10:15 AM
For those of you who have done this, How many boxes did you need for one application? Did you apply is with a dye brush or out of the bottle?
Thanks

GlennaGirl
January 13th, 2012, 11:18 AM
For those of you who have done this, How many boxes did you need for one application? Did you apply is with a dye brush or out of the bottle?
Thanks

My hair is only about 21" right now (not as long as in my avatar) and on the thin side. I found I had almost half again a bottle left. I was just leaning over the sink and squirting on more and more to feel I wasn't wasting it. :p ETA: Oh!! I see we're about the same length and are within the same thickness category. I'm on the thinner side of ii.

OTOH, it's very thin and runny and you'll lose some in applying, so if you have thicker or longer hair, get two, only mix up one and see how you do with that; and if one is enough you can always return the second unopened box unless you plan on re-Oopsing again in the future.

sbhonda
January 13th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I tried color oops yesterday to remove some of my red chemical dye as I'm trying to grow out my natural color and the line between the colors was pretty harsh. I left it on my ends for 5 minutes, then all over my head for an additional 13 minutes. I was really, REALLY scared of making my hair more porous because not long ago I had horrible, bleached hair that was so porous it wouldn't air dry in 36 hours. I probably should have left the color oops on all of my hair for 20 minutes.

I would say I got about 30% color removal. It's lighter, but still quite red. My hair is even softer than it was before, I think because it was like clarifying to the extreme, but it does seem to break a little more easily. By that I mean when I took a loose strand and pulled on it, it seemed to break more easily, but I was pulling pretty hard. My hair isn't just breaking on it's own. It also seemed a little stretchier when wet at first, but I think that has improved. I also noticed more split ends, but they might have been there before and I just wasn't looking as closely as when I was looking for damage after color oops. I don't think my hair was too much more porous because it behaves the same way as before, dries in the same amount of time, and feels the same or slightly softer.

I did buy a second box because I got a deal on 2 boxes at Walgreens, and my hair is only shoulder length, but very thick, so I figured I was better safe than sorry. I only needed one box and I actually had about a fifth of it leftover (and I used some for 2 strand tests).

I might try it again in about a week and leave it on for a full 20-25 minutes since I have another box. Regardless of the results, I will not try again after that.

GlennaGirl
January 13th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Pics, sbhonda? ^

sbhonda
January 13th, 2012, 12:16 PM
ETA: For anyone who might see this post, but not my first post. This is Natural Instincts chemical dye, no henna.

Okay. My hair looks extremely different depending on the lighting, so I'm including a lot of pictures to try to create a fair comparison. In the first two pictures, which should have been the fairest comparison, it looks like very little difference. In other pictures it looks like a big difference.

In person, I can see the difference, but I'm not sure my friends would. It's still very red, but it's less red and lighter. Like I said, in person, it's probably about a 30% difference.

Before, After
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/beforeafter.jpg

A few months ago, and a couple weeks ago. But it hadn't really faded at all on its own
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/DSCF3735-1.jpg http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/DSCF3809-1.jpg

After color oops
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/DSCF3849.jpg http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/DSCF3861.jpg

cooklaezo13
January 13th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I wish I had known about this a year ago, before I cut my apl hennaed hair to chin-length.

Ravenwind
January 13th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I used only one box for my BSL hair, and I had some left over after I was done. I also have layers so I didn't need to use a whole lot.

t_ballet26
January 14th, 2012, 04:35 AM
I did my first application of color oops last night, thanks to everyone for posting in this thread. Pictures were taken approximately 7 hours after. The results are amazing already. It seems like it lifted about 1 henna application off. I used about 2/3 of the bottle and wore a warm winter hat for the 3 hours. Maybe I am weird but it didn't smell that bad to me. It smelled like the nail salon in the mall.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9347&pictureid=123745http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9347&pictureid=123744http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9347&pictureid=123745http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9347&pictureid=123744

beachgirlla
January 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I did my first application of color oops last night, thanks to everyone for posting in this thread. Pictures were taken approximately 7 hours after. The results are amazing already. It seems like it lifted about 1 henna application off. I used about 2/3 of the bottle and wore a warm winter hat for the 3 hours. Maybe I am weird but it didn't smell that bad to me. It smelled like the nail salon in the mall.

There is good difference, wow, just one application!, I love both colors on you (before and after), just wondering why are you trying to remove the henna color?, the color is amazing :D

beachgirlla
January 14th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Good question, I'm also wondering...

I have 2.5 years and something like 10 coatings of full henna /katam on my hair... And it helped so much with the damage I had back then that I'm scared I could discover the damage under there if I get the henna out... lol

Watching this thread ... and patiently growing my henna out for now ... :D

Wow, did you do 10 hennas already, I agree with you about the henna helping with the damage, I hennaed my hair last month for first time, it was very very damaged, the first henna helped a lot, I hennaed again 2 days back and my hair looks way better than the first time, I love henna, I love to use it every 3-4 weeks but I don't want to get my hair much darker :D, it will be nice to find a way to remove the henna a bit and then redo the henna again and again for its conditioning purpose :).
Why are you growing your henna out what you do not like about it?

beachgirlla
January 14th, 2012, 10:51 AM
ETA: For anyone who might see this post, but not my first post. This is Natural Instincts chemical dye, no henna.

Okay. My hair looks extremely different depending on the lighting, so I'm including a lot of pictures to try to create a fair comparison. In the first two pictures, which should have been the fairest comparison, it looks like very little difference. In other pictures it looks like a big difference.

In person, I can see the difference, but I'm not sure my friends would. It's still very red, but it's less red and lighter. Like I said, in person, it's probably about a 30% difference.

I think you are right, I can see around 25-30% difference between the before and after, the after is on the orange side while the before is deeper red, was the red henna?

t_ballet26
January 14th, 2012, 12:39 PM
If my hair actually looked like that in real life I would keep it, but it looks like a dark brown with very little red.

Maktub
January 14th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Wow, did you do 10 hennas already, I agree with you about the henna helping with the damage, I hennaed my hair last month for first time, it was very very damaged, the first henna helped a lot, I hennaed again 2 days back and my hair looks way better than the first time, I love henna, I love to use it every 3-4 weeks but I don't want to get my hair much darker :D, it will be nice to find a way to remove the henna a bit and then redo the henna again and again for its conditioning purpose :).
Why are you growing your henna out what you do not like about it?

I had very abused hair (fighting my natural curls for 26 years) when I looked at LHC for the first time.

Then I started to henna, for conditonning reasons because I didn't want to cut all my BSL hair out... I cut to APL and hennaed with henna sooq henna.

I LOVE everything about henna. The smell, the routine, the shine, the fact it covers my grays, the little "curl relaxing" it gives me, etc etc. and how my damaged hair became so much stronger !

BUT

I have very pale skin complexion, grey eyes ... and I realise how cool tones really make me look sooo better than any "orangy" tones / undertone. So it's all pretty much a question of color :(

My now 2.5 year old new healthy growth is very healthy too, as I never blow-fried-abused it... so I don't mind it (I don't like the grays so much, but oh well..). My natural hair color is simply so much more flattering... If there was any way I could have a "cool-tone henna", I'd keep hennaing for sure... but for now I've been growing it out slowly (for 6-7 months...)

GlennaGirl
January 15th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Maktub, I have the same problem with orange/red and my skin tone. My hair itself looks gorgeous with henna! Especially when it's longer. But I could never ever get it to work with my face...my face always looked clownish to me, whether it was an orangey henna, a medium auburn, a more red-red, etc.

Update on my hair having been dry immediately after Oopsing: I bounced back after one CO. It's one more CO after that now and I'm all smooth again. :) Yay!

Anywhere
January 16th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I just did this. My roots look so light :bigeyes:
(eta: as in, the color oops lightened them)
Will post pics once it dries enough.

Maktub
January 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM
so it lighten your natural color too ?!? You are sure ?

Anywhere
January 16th, 2012, 05:29 PM
so it lighten your natural color too ?!? You are sure ?

I'm not 100% sure, it is more tame now that it is drying, but i'm pretty sure it is still lighter than it was before. It could be that my water is "hard" and the color oops somehow removed a lot of the junk in my hair.

I took a lot of 'before' pictures in different lighting, so I will do the same with the 'after' pictures (once my hair dries) for the best comparison.

Maktub
January 16th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Can't wait to see ! How much henna / coloring did you have in your hair before ?

Anywhere
January 16th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Can't wait to see ! How much henna / coloring did you have in your hair before ?

The last 6" or so of my hair was bleached a long time ago. I used Light Mountain Henna in medium brown (so cheap, old hennindigo).

It's faded a lot I would say, but it never stuck strongly to begin with.

Anywhere
January 16th, 2012, 06:24 PM
So this is going to be long and rambly, sorry for thread jacking. :oops:

I used cheapie Light Mountain Henna in.. some sort of brown. Medium brown I believe? It had a gazelle or something like one on the box. I henna'd 3 or 4 times, but one was a 50:50 gloss and one was a 25:75 gloss (conditioner to henna)
I last did it in September IIRC, might have been late August. I don't think anyone other than myself even noticed the henna color change.

I used one bottle, to be honest, half the bottle felt like enough for my barely TBL hair, but if you take into account how dreadfully thin my hair is, it is basically a thin waist length. I used the whole bottle though just to ensure I had enough coverage. I actually rinsed out the applicator bottle so I can only use half if I need to do it again.
My scalp was itchy after putting it on, but it died down within 15 minutes. I had oiled my scalp beforehand since I know my scalp hates chemicals.. there was also some EVOO on my length. I put the shower cap on, a baggie that I had for henna-ing, and then a beanie hat to keep in the heat...Then I started panicking wondering if Light Mountain Henna has metallic salts (since its cheap stuff). After seeing a few conflicting forums I decided to just hope for the best.

Half an hour into the treatment and the smell was repulsive, every time I got a good whiff of it I wanted to puke. I turned on my scentsy candle, which is usually overpowering but way better than the color oops smell. It did nothing unless I put my nose right up to the wax. I have a sensitive nose and I guess the Oops overwhelmed it.

I washed it off at two and a half hours.

In the lighting of my bathroom my hair looked a light carrot color. It has calmed down a bit after drying, but for some reason I feel like it looks lighter at the roots. The pictures in my bathroom's lighting say otherwise though.

Top is before, bottom is after. THIS ONE IS TRUE TO COLOR IN BATHROOM LIGHTING. It looks like how I usually see my hair in this light.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9586&pictureid=124022

Left is before, right is after *I would like to say that this one is nowhere near as true to color as the photo above, I guess my camera likes to mess with pictures that my head is actually in*:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9586&pictureid=124021

Keep in mind this is in my bathroom's lighting, and everything looks uniform under those lights.

Once the sun comes up I can take some after pictures in the sun and add the daylight before/afters to get better comparisons, since my bathroom tends to make everything look more orange than it really is.

The bleached ends of my hair did not turn blonde surprisingly. I think I may do it again to remove extra henna.. if it is true that my roots did not change color.

And.. bonus pic!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9586&pictureid=124025

I don't know if anyone else can see it, but the blue I put on my bangs at the end of October, on UNbleached hair.. which has survived(faded each time, but still for the most part survived) soaking in dish soap, Head and Shoulders shampoo, conditioner, oil, and various other things, has somehow miraculously survived a 3 hour color oops session. The tint has not budged from this light green shade for the past month. :rolleyes:

But yes, I will update with more pictures tomorrow. And I think you were right, Maktub, my roots don't look like they have changed. At least not in the pictures. In artificial lighting. Hopefully it's all in my head. Maybe the chemicals got to me. ;)

Mairéad
January 16th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I'm not 100% sure, it is more tame now that it is drying, but i'm pretty sure it is still lighter than it was before. It could be that my water is "hard" and the color oops somehow removed a lot of the junk in my hair.

I took a lot of 'before' pictures in different lighting, so I will do the same with the 'after' pictures (once my hair dries) for the best comparison.

When I did mine my hair appeared brighter/lighter for a time. I attributed that to it being pretty clarifying but after a few days my hair color went back to normal. It happens when I use any sort of shampoo on my hair. There is nothing (to my knowledge) in the Color Oops that would lift natural hair pigment.

Lissandria
January 16th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Anywhere looks like you got pretty good results :) Well done!

Damiana
January 17th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Hi, sitting here at home STINKING of colour b4! I have had to light incense in every room but I'm having a blast plumping my showercap/towel at my husband!:D I'll only leave iy on about 1 hour though 'cos that's all I can stand, lol. How strong is the smell after it is washed out? I've got to go to the dentist this afternoon!:doh:

cheetahfast
January 17th, 2012, 05:48 AM
When I did mine my hair appeared brighter/lighter for a time. I attributed that to it being pretty clarifying but after a few days my hair color went back to normal. It happens when I use any sort of shampoo on my hair. There is nothing (to my knowledge) in the Color Oops that would lift natural hair pigment.

My natural color appeared lighter too for a bit. It also went back to it's natural color in a few weeks. I think it was from the color oops or rinsing so much, but it wasn't permanent. I just had blonde roots for a few days.

Damiana
January 17th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Finally rinsed out and dried my hair, and it's noticeably lighter! I will do another application on the length in a month or so as that's where the colour is most concentrated. I'm happier about growing my henna out now as there will not be such a tide-mark between my natural colour and the henna, just a gradual change in tone.
I will post a photo as soon as I have worked out how to do it, lol!
The smell has faded somewhat:joy:'cos I was getting worried! My hair feels drier and easier to tangle but I've put some conditioner in the length and left it in. I may do a SMT in the next day or so.
I think I will need a few more goes with this as I have been hennaing for 3 years or so and the Lawsone cotent was high on some of the earlier ones.

Anywhere
January 17th, 2012, 09:21 AM
So apparently it snowed last night and now there is no sun to take a "sunny" picture in.
So this is the best comparison of my hair for "natural lighting" so far.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9586&pictureid=124122

If you look closely at the right photo, you can see a small bit of blonde from the bleached bits.

And the smell is pretty much gone for me. My hair actually feels silkier, after putting conditioner/oils back onto it. Usually my ends are tangle city, I guess this helped them clarify a bit?

And my ends do seem to be reverting back to their non-brassy color. But my goodness, it was such a shock to get out of the shower with what appeared to be strawberry blonde roots, glad they toned down. :p

GlennaGirl
January 17th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Anywhere, that result is amazing!

Maktub
January 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Very impressive !!

Mairéad
January 17th, 2012, 11:55 AM
But my goodness, it was such a shock to get out of the shower with what appeared to be strawberry blonde roots, glad they toned down. :p

The strawberry blonde roots are exactly what happened to me too. In fact, although my hair looked significantly lighter with each application it initially did look really red. But, as the days went by it just started to tone down and look more like my natural hair color. Then when I got the last bit of henna out it just rinsed out to my natural, no redness. I wonder if this is an effect of removing the henna.

Anywhere
January 17th, 2012, 03:31 PM
The strawberry blonde roots are exactly what happened to me too. In fact, although my hair looked significantly lighter with each application it initially did look really red. But, as the days went by it just started to tone down and look more like my natural hair color. Then when I got the last bit of henna out it just rinsed out to my natural, no redness. I wonder if this is an effect of removing the henna.

I'm glad it is "normal". I just can't help but wonder how it tones down on it's own though.

It definitely looks like my natural color again now though. Maybe a bit lighter, but it's only been a day.

Olyve
January 18th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I used Color Oops last night, and am LOVING the results!
I left it on for just an hour, so I will need to do another application which is fine with me. I will more than likely leave it on for about 2 hours next time.
My hair has not been dry at all and the smell is already gone. I have used Black Soap Shampoo and Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner.

Here are some pics.
I had to take the first bath in the bathroom with flash as the sun was already gone for the day.

Before:
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/quixoticromance/DSCN0261.jpg

Right After:
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/quixoticromance/DSCN0264.jpg

Today in direct sunlight, no flash:
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/quixoticromance/DSCN0278.jpg
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/quixoticromance/DSCN0277.jpg

My natural color: A year of growth from henna, indigo and chemical dye!
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/quixoticromance/DSCN0271.jpg

Lianna
January 18th, 2012, 05:17 AM
I've used a dye stripper a while ago. My roots appeared a lot brighter, from pure ash to a faint yellow. I think my water must darken my hair then (?). Honey does lighten the natural pigment though, because it produces peroxide (in this case the hair isn't virgin anymore).

beachgirlla
January 18th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I used Color Oops last night, and am LOVING the results!
I left it on for just an hour, so I will need to do another application which is fine with me. I will more than likely leave it on for about 2 hours next time.
My hair has not been dry at all and the smell is already gone. I have used Black Soap Shampoo and Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner.

Very nice, the first pic was before, right? it is more reddish was that from henna and indigo or henna alone or chemical dye?, what are you trying to achieve, what do you not like about your hair color?
Did it dry your hair or do any damage?
Your hair has beautiful texture BTW :D

Olyve
January 19th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Very nice, the first pic was before, right? it is more reddish was that from henna and indigo or henna alone or chemical dye?, what are you trying to achieve, what do you not like about your hair color?
Did it dry your hair or do any damage?
Your hair has beautiful texture BTW :D

The very first pic is a before, it was chemical dye on the last inch from 2009 (a dark brown), Henna Hut's Red & Burgandy mixture which has indigo in it from January 2011 (2 layers), then a chemical dye (dark brown) from May 2011.

The red is from the henna/indigo that I used. I have a lot of red undertones in my hair as it is, and when I use any dye that has red in it, the red will stand out more than anything. I want my hair as close to my natural color which I have not seen since I was about 18 years old. My hair is a light-ish brown with honey/red highlights and undertones (at least the last time I saw it:p ) I am just tired of unnatural colors for me, I have been dark brown, red, honey brown and almost black haired since I was 18.

The color oops did no damage to my hair nor did it dry it out. I rinsed for 15 minutes, washed with my clarifying shampoo, then rinsed for another 15 minutes. I applied Garnier Triple Nutrition for 5 minutes, and rinsed. I applied Vatika Coconut oil that night to just my ends and washed again the next day. I washed my hair with African Black Soap I mixed with purified water to turn it into a liquid and the Garnier Triple Nutrition, then ACV rinse.

And thank you, :) I love how it is when I dry it straight but know that the heat is the cause of my dry split ends :(

Clarita
January 19th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Has anyone had their henna color 're-oxidize(?)' in the weeks following this treatment? I've used both colorfix and colourB4 in the past and initially the color lightened a lot but then re-darkened about 2 weeks later. :( Then again, I only left it on for 30 minutes and rinsed for 10-15 min. total. I guess the key is long application time and VERY long rinsing!

I may try it again using the OP's method.

cheetahfast
January 19th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Has anyone had their henna color 're-oxidize(?)' in the weeks following this treatment? I've used both colorfix and colourB4 in the past and initially the color lightened a lot but then re-darkened about 2 weeks later. :( Then again, I only left it on for 30 minutes and rinsed for 10-15 min. total. I guess the key is long application time and VERY long rinsing!

I may try it again using the OP's method.

It's only been ten days for me. It got a bit darker at the roots, but they were originally a bright blonde, now it's my natural color. The rest seems to not have darkened. If it has it's not the henna, my face framing ends are still blonde.

two_wheels
January 19th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Clarita, I got redarkening and I left colour b4 on for 3h+ each time and rinsed for 30-60 mins. About 4 applications. It darkened a lot after 2 weeks, to henna red, but the indigo was gone. I hope you get rid of it successfully but if not, don't feel like a failure- despite best efforts I think this doesn't work for everyone.

akilina
January 19th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Sooo...I used color oops last night for an hour I could not handle more than that it was giving me a headache. Right now I have round 2 on. I will probably leave it on for an hour and see what im workin with. Then maybe after that I will do another application.
After the henna is removed I'm going to have to do a color correction. I have to do this all before tomorrow when I go back to work!!!
I'm pretty confident in it though so i think it will turn out well. my only issue is having to color over it again and that will be the most damaging.
Ill post pics later on here if I have a good result

RocketDog
January 19th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Has anybody tried doing something like a mermaid soak instead of the straight 30minutes of rinsing? I don't even know if my water heater holds all the water that it would take for that much rinsing...

I bought the Color Oops yesterday at ULTA, the Extra Conditioning one because that's all they had. The cashier looked at me like I'd grown a third boob when I told her people have used it to remove henna - she tried to tell me that all I was going to accomplish was melting my hair.

Anywhere
January 19th, 2012, 05:24 PM
... The cashier looked at me like I'd grown a third boob ...

:spitting: Nice imagery. Lol.

And I didn't try mermaid soaking. I was considering it but I feel that I need to keep putting 'clean' water on my hair to wash away the chemicals/henna particles, so they wouldn't just go back into my hair. The box says the rinsing is like, the most important part.

ETA: I only rinsed for 20 minutes, then conditioned for 10, then did a quick rinse to get that out. I think it worked well enough.

kjirstiben
January 19th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Has anybody tried doing something like a mermaid soak instead of the straight 30minutes of rinsing? I don't even know if my water heater holds all the water that it would take for that much rinsing...

Yeah, the water heater seems to be my limiting factor for rinsing. Each time I get to the 30 minute mark as it's going from lukewarm to chilly. Since cold water rinsing tends to close the cuticle (just ask the WO folks!), it's not likely to help get rid of any more dye, once the water isn't cold. I've been trying to get my water as hot as I can hoping it will open the cuticle more.

I'm not sure if a mermaid soak would work right... I suspect you'd have to swirl your head around constantly, and that might not be worth the effort!

I am 2 Oops-ing applications into this... not enough change to document here (yet; but I'm taking pics after each application). Hate the smell -- my eyes water uncontrollably by the end of the 3-hour application, and then my hair just STINKS afterwards. But heck, getting the henna on was high-effort; I wouldn't expect any less to remove it.

RocketDog
January 19th, 2012, 09:39 PM
That's kind of what I was figuring, but it was worth a shot... oh well. I am planning on strand-testing this coming weekend and seeing what happens. I am in the very awkward stage of growing out where it looks like I'm going bald, thanks to my rather translucent blonde natural haircolor. Quite charming :/

Jessibear2854
January 19th, 2012, 11:40 PM
I'm subscribing to this thread! Really wanna try this soon. The henna is lovely but the upkeep is not.

Clarita
January 20th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Clarita, I got redarkening and I left colour b4 on for 3h+ each time and rinsed for 30-60 mins. About 4 applications. It darkened a lot after 2 weeks, to henna red, but the indigo was gone. I hope you get rid of it successfully but if not, don't feel like a failure- despite best efforts I think this doesn't work for everyone.

Thanks for the info!

Wasabipea
January 20th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I'm definitely trying this as soon as I can! I love my henna, but as others have said... I don't love the upkeep! Plus it's just gotten too dark for my skintone.
I wish I had enough posts to see everyone's before and after pics! I'll try to post mine after I do a round or two, maybe I'll have persmissions by then if I get chatty. :)

Anje
January 20th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I've also been wondering about mermaid-rinsing, since I don't feel like discovering the capacity of my water heater at the moment. (New-ish apartment, and I usually take shorter showers.) On the other hand, I don't really see why one couldn't rinse til the warm water runs out, squeeze the excess drips out of the hair, put a shower cap on, and start rinsing again when there's more hot water having never let the hair dry.

Mairéad
January 20th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I've also been wondering about mermaid-rinsing, since I don't feel like discovering the capacity of my water heater at the moment. (New-ish apartment, and I usually take shorter showers.) On the other hand, I don't really see why one couldn't rinse til the warm water runs out, squeeze the excess drips out of the hair, put a shower cap on, and start rinsing again when there's more hot water having never let the hair dry.

I don't see why putting the shower cap on until the hot water came back wouldn't work. The hot water heater in my dorm only goes 15 minutes which is why I did all my treatments at my parent's house.

MandyBeth
January 20th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Well, since knee repair is taking over, I am trying this vs upkeep with dyeing over henna. Worst case, I cut it all off. A round tomorrow and Sunday, hope it works.

RocketDog
January 22nd, 2012, 12:27 PM
Okay, my skin test and strand tests are done, so I'm taking the plunge and doing my first application today. I got the extra conditioning Color Oops because that's the only one the ULTA had in stock, but that got me wondering - which formula have all of you used, and if you've used more than one, have you noticed a difference in results (color change and/or hair condition) for the different formulas?

Jessibear2854
January 22nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Okay, my skin test and strand tests are done, so I'm taking the plunge and doing my first application today. I got the extra conditioning Color Oops because that's the only one the ULTA had in stock, but that got me wondering - which formula have all of you used, and if you've used more than one, have you noticed a difference in results (color change and/or hair condition) for the different formulas?

Please keep us updated! I have gone as far as buying two boxes of Extra Strength Color Oops but haven't tested or anything yet. I'm not sure when I'll have time to take the plunge!

Good luck!

RocketDog
January 22nd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Well, I have successfully made my entire house smell like dog farts, if nothing else. At least the greyhounds have prepared me for the charming funk that this stuff has :P

And just for the record, I have relatively thin hair, just about waist length, and I needed every last drop of the mix to soak my hair. I have my head wrapped in saran wrap, a beanie on top of that, and then my hoodie tied snug around my head. I'll repost when I've rinse-rinse-rinsed it all out in a few hours.

Bagginslover
January 22nd, 2012, 01:56 PM
When rinsing, should I be seeing colour in the water rinsing away? I used Colour B4 yesterday to try to remove a chemical dye before I start henna-ing, and while it's a little lighter, I saw no colour rinse away, and it's not as light as it should be. I bought the extra strength variety, and left it on for 2 hours.
I'm going to repeat it next weekend, with 2 packs this time, but I'm concerned it's just not going to work

Oksana
January 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
When rinsing, should I be seeing colour in the water rinsing away? I used Colour B4 yesterday to try to remove a chemical dye before I start henna-ing, and while it's a little lighter, I saw no colour rinse away, and it's not as light as it should be. I bought the extra strength variety, and left it on for 2 hours.
I'm going to repeat it next weekend, with 2 packs this time, but I'm concerned it's just not going to work

When i removed dark brown hair dye i saw no colour whatsoever rinse away and it still left me light blonde :)

Clarita
January 22nd, 2012, 02:15 PM

I don't think so. I think once the color molecules have been shrunk they are invisible.

Bagginslover
January 22nd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Thank you both! You have reassured me! I didn't want to repeat the treatment if it wasn't working ;) it's definitely not gotten all the dye out though-I suspect because I should have used 2 boxes, not just one. Still, it's actually left my hair very soft after conditioning, so not all bad!

RocketDog
January 22nd, 2012, 04:47 PM
Well, I now know that my water heater holds precisely 29 minutes and 45 seconds of hot water. How hilarious is that?

I checked my head after about two and a half hours and PANICKED because my roots looked screaming bleach-blonde yellow (I'm naturally between a level 8 and 9 blonde) so I started rinsing. I think I shampooed my hair five times, mostly so that my hands had something to do during that long, long 30 minute rinse. Once my water ran chilly I turned it off and sat with One'N'Only Argan oil hair masque (which my hair loves, even though I absolutely hate the smell) for another 10 minutes, and rinsed again for maybe 5 more minutes.

This is my virgin haircolor, as it was before I started using henna in '09:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4212&pictureid=87152

Here's a starting picture that is pretty representative of the color I achieved using henna. This was taken about a year into my adventure with henna, but I believe that it is what 'saturation' looks like on my light hair, since I didn't get any darker than this even with more full-head applications and many, many root touchups. Pretty, huh?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4212&pictureid=86587

and here's where I ended up after the Color Oops:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4212&pictureid=124582
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4212&pictureid=124584
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4212&pictureid=124583

Those three pictures are pretty true to life, perhaps slightly brassier thanks to my phone's camera. My hair doesn't feel any different, although my poor skin is super dry after such a long shower. I will probably wait a week or three and do another application, just so I can see if my hair settles like a lot of other people have reported. So far, I'm pretty darn impressed! My husband said that my hair looks like new pennies, which I can live with for the time being. Definitely a huge, huge difference from what I had this morning.

Lissandria
January 22nd, 2012, 05:25 PM
Amazing Results, Rocket Dog!

RocketDog
January 22nd, 2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks Lissandria, I am pretty impressed with it. I looked in the mirror again just now and I think that my color is more even than it appears in that first 'after' shot - my virgin hair is lighter than the henna'd stuff for sure, but the henna'd length is fairly even. I am definitely interested to see what another application or two will do!

One thing I did want to point out to all of you - I was reading the FAQ on Color Oops' website (http://developlus.com/coloroopstips.html) and they state that the ingredients lose their effectiveness after 25 minutes. If this is true, I'll be very happy to save myself two hours' of sulfur stank. I think I will try this next time and see if I still get such a remarkable color change.

MandyBeth
January 22nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
At 30 min, even the MP I have wasn't all gone, so I redid the Oops, left for 2 hours, rinsed for 45 min, then repeat this am. I'm still red-ish the last inch in back - 2 in front, but there is less red and it's not so harsh looking.

Jessibear2854
January 22nd, 2012, 07:55 PM
I'm so glad you are having good results so far! Can't wait to do it myself :) The new penny color is very pretty.

Damiana
January 23rd, 2012, 03:33 AM
WOW, Rocket Dog!!! That difference is amazing!!:cool:
Those results are so encouraging, I'm going to go for another treatment as this has really spurred me on.:)
I just need to try and find somewhere I can buy it a bit cheaper though as it's £12 in Boots!

Bagginslover
January 23rd, 2012, 07:07 AM
Its under a tenner in sainsburys ;)

two_wheels
January 23rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
Apparently Jo baz is much cheaper and the same, you can get it at savers chemists.

jojo
January 23rd, 2012, 08:13 AM
Interesting.... There's a part of me that thinks it would be cool to go back to my natural auburn, instead of this dark red tone. I've been unsuccessful at breaking myself of the henna habit so far, though, not least because I can see the two-toned-ness even if no one else can.

If nothing else, it's great to know that this exists, so when I want to allow my hair to go gray, I can potentially remove the henna instead of doing the two-toned thing.
my full photo results from this are on page 2 but heres a close up of hendigo removal showing my natural colour and greys
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/closeupblonde.jpg

Anje
January 23rd, 2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks Jojo! Looks like it totally came off, at least near your roots.

Mairéad
January 23rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
Great results, everyone! It's great to see that this isn't a one-hit wonder. :D

heatherovka
January 23rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
These results are quite impressive! I only have 4 or 5 strong henna glosses on my hair. I don't mind the color but I don't want to keep glossing, and there is an obvious difference between the hennaed hair and my few inches of roots. I am very tempted to try this too. How long does the smell last after one treatment? Seriously weeks? Even with SMTs, etc? I'm not sure I could handle it. :o

GlennaGirl
January 23rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
These results are quite impressive! I only have 4 or 5 strong henna glosses on my hair. I don't mind the color but I don't want to keep glossing, and there is an obvious difference between the hennaed hair and my few inches of roots. I am very tempted to try this too. How long does the smell last after one treatment? Seriously weeks? Even with SMTs, etc? I'm not sure I could handle it. :o

Maybe I have a non-sensitive nose or something, but the odor from my Oopsing was gone after my second CO.

MandyBeth
January 23rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
On Sunday, I just wrapped the mess of my hair up wet with a very strong smelling SMT (I forget what all I put in it, if it smelled strong and wasn't cooling feeling, I glopped it in) and just shoved my hat and hoodie over it and went down to Alabama with it soaking, then rinsed it out last night.

Today, washed my hair like normal since it was icky, stringy looking from the SMT and meh, if it's wet I can pick up the rotten egg smell, but once it's dry, I don't notice it at all. I just had my dad come sniff my hair and he doesn't smell anything at all.

Honestly, it did a pretty dang good job stripping the henna out. They claim it doesn't work for direct deposit dyes, and that may be the case for the "normal" use, but the long use seems to remove direct deposit dyes. That being said, if it was just a normal dye, I wouldn't bother sitting with this on my head for hours, it's pretty nasty smelling. I'd just do the 25-30 minutes like they suggest, then repeat in a few weeks and do that until the color is gone as much as it can.

MandyBeth
January 23rd, 2012, 02:44 PM
Oh, my hair is a big cone addict. The henna may have reoxidized some towards the ends that have the most layers on, but the upper area that had fewer layers of henna have not reoxidized, they are the same weird streaks and stripes that my hair naturally does thanks to my medication. I also don't have the harsh demarcation line going on between henna and natural color.

I'm guessing the ends have oh 6 layers of henna? I'm not sure, I had a total of 12 on, but I've cut a LOT off.

heatherovka
January 23rd, 2012, 03:08 PM
Thank you GlennaGirl and MandyBeth, that is encouraging. I just couldn't imagine living with rotten-egg-poo smelling hair for weeks upon weeks. I will probably do one or two honey lightening treatments and then try the color remover. Wheeee! So nice to hear that there is possibility of going back to my original color without waiting an eternity for it to grow out. I don't care if it all comes out, as long as it blends with the roots better. Thanks!

jojo
January 23rd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks Jojo! Looks like it totally came off, at least near your roots.
i did end up putting a semi on which is the colour now, but it did remove all the colour, that was back in September. Give it a go you wont be sorry!

RocketDog
January 23rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
I can definitely still smell the sulfur in my hair, especially when it's wet (I always do damp updos) but when it's dry I can only smell a faint whiff of it. The leave-in conditioner I use lingers more than this does, really.

One thing I have noticed - the skin on the back of my neck has been just a little itchy since I rinsed everything out. I did not get any irritation during py patch testing, so I am wondering if the itching is more due to how dry my skin got from the long rinsing, and not from the chemicals in the Color Oops. Just figured I'd mention it, in case anybody with really really sensitive skin is reading this. Make sure to patch test, if possible behind your ear as well as your arm!

MandyBeth
January 23rd, 2012, 09:08 PM
I am itchy also, but no patch reaction - so I am saying it was the at the time lovely warm water on my neck and back. Esp the next day repeat round. Oh well, it was worth it. Smell and all.

Anywhere
January 23rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
My hair still seemed faintly brassy after the color calmed down, so I redid the treatment.

Waiting for it to calm down once more. :rolleyes:

I don't care if it loses its effectiveness after 25 minutes. I like to think the excess soaking helps somehow. :o

I am not itchy, but I do oil my scalp with CO/CO (coconut/castor oils) because my scalp is usually dry and flaky naturally. Might want to try a light partial scalp oiling if you want something to soothe it for a bit.

MandyBeth
January 23rd, 2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah, if you try this, might be worth a try to oil your skin first. My neck and small of my back are worst, I think they got the most exposure to the water/Oops mix, thus very dry and itchy. Same as my hair, but I can't SMT my skin.

Anje
January 24th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Well, I did it last night. Hair seems a lot lighter, even at the roots, so I hope it settles back down to its normal color. Henna's not gone, but it's more coppery now. (Note that my base color is a coppery auburn, so if I get around to after pictures, there will still be red.) I used every bit of the bottle (circumference is 2.5", tailbone length) and combed it through to make sure the hair was fully covered. Didn't have to break out a second kit, though.

My ends are unhappy and seem a bit coated, but it's entirely possible I overdid it on leaving some conditioner in. At worst, I'll have a bit of damage to trim off, but I plan to baby them for a bit first.

Jessibear2854
January 24th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I am going to take the plunge today! My class got cancelled and no one is home, so it's a good time to stink up the place. Will report back with my results!

I'm so excited/nervous!

heatherovka
January 24th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Good luck, Jessibear! Looking forward to hearing how it went. Pictures would be great too. ;)

Anje, are you happy with how it turned out, or still waiting to decide once the color settles?

Jessibear2854
January 24th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Good luck, Jessibear! Looking forward to hearing how it went. Pictures would be great too. ;)

Anje, are you happy with how it turned out, or still waiting to decide once the color settles?

Thanks! I will of course post pictures when all is said and done:)

The stink is on, although it's not nearly as bad as I expected. Reminds me of when I was 8 and got a perm. My strand test was encouraging and showed quite a bit of lightening in only 5 minutes. I only have 2 henna treatments on my hair that took place in a span of 3 months.

I really concentrated on the hair closest to my head because as long as there isn't a dramatic line of demarcation, I'll be pleased even if all the red isn't removed. I have strawberry blond hair anyways so there will be a red tint no matter what.

I'm off to eat some chocolate while I wait :)

Anje
January 24th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I'm going to give it a week or two before I decide whether to use the second box. My ends still don't match my roots, but they've got who-knows how many coats of henna on them. I'm not shy of red (else I wouldn't be going to my natural color), I just disliked how dark and cherry-toned the stain had gotten. I'd prefer orange.

Jessibear2854
January 24th, 2012, 10:02 PM
My results after one treatment, left on for two hours.....

BEFORE
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff442/Jessibear2854/SANY1007.jpg

AFTER
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff442/Jessibear2854/SANY1028.jpg

BEFORE
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff442/Jessibear2854/SANY1012.jpg

AFTER
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff442/Jessibear2854/SANY1029.jpg

I'm pretty pleased!

ETA: Sorry the pics are so HUGE!

heatherovka
January 25th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Wow! Your hair is gorgeous both ways, but yes it sure did pull a lot of color!

After hearing over and over how absolutely permanent henna is, these results are just amazing.

Do you think it got all or most of the henna? Any damage to speak of or just a little dryness like others have described?

MandyBeth
January 25th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I'm going to give it a week or two before I decide whether to use the second box. My ends still don't match my roots, but they've got who-knows how many coats of henna on them. I'm not shy of red (else I wouldn't be going to my natural color), I just disliked how dark and cherry-toned the stain had gotten. I'd prefer orange.
Teehee, if I'd gotten to that dark cherry color with henna, I'd have kept it no matter the damage.

NOT FAIR!

Report on henna removal/damage with 2 treatments.

1 - it removed all of the up to 4 layers of henna, IMO and best guess. It also removed Elumen and Manic Panic if left on for over 30 minutes. At 30 minutes, Elumen and MP are not removed at all as far as I could tell.

2 - More than 4 layers of henna for me, it's still there, it's just less there. It may be age of henna, age and damge to hair, layers of henna. I'm not sure on what.

3 - It's VERY drying, but a good, long (as long as you can possibly stand) SMT has fixed that IMO. I have more splits, but nothing that I was not expecting from washing my hair for total of 1 1/2 hours, never mind 4 hours in a sulfur based removal product. I'm not saying the Oops itself is damaging, but my already highly damaged ends (if it has henna on it, it's damaged for me) did not approve of the repeat and often washing without conditioner. Since I'm willing to bet good money that if I did the exact same thing to my hair without using the Oops, I'd see the same damage, I'm saying the Oops is pretty much very limited in damage, it's drying and if you don't repair that, your hair will riot.

4 - Cones may or may not redarken henna. I just can't tell. My ends might be slightly darker than what they were. But they went from day-glo orange to day-glo darker orange, I can't tell if it's darker or not, it's just still orange and I don't like it, but I'm not cutting more hair off again. Or so I claim.

5 - It's a long, long, LONG time sitting with rotten egg poo stink on your head. But for getting rid of henna, it's this or cutting it off. It just depends on which is less of a bother to you.

Jessibear2854
January 25th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Wow! Your hair is gorgeous both ways, but yes it sure did pull a lot of color!

After hearing over and over how absolutely permanent henna is, these results are just amazing.

Do you think it got all or most of the henna? Any damage to speak of or just a little dryness like others have described?

Thank you! I think it got most of it. There is still a faint line between my roots and where the henna was, but it's so faint I can't decide if it's worth doing another treatment or not. These results look very much like my natural color.

I don't feel like there's any damage or dryness at all. My scalp is slightly itchy but it's NBD. My hair is quite a bit more fine without henna, and I can tell the texture is back to that fineness (which is what makes me pretty sure it took most of the henna off). The henna also straightened my hair a little which I will kind of miss. But overall I am very happy with these results!

sinnamongirl474
January 25th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I did a Color Oops yesterday after reading this thread!! I didn't think it would work because I have been using henna for 5 or 6 years. Im soooo pleased to report it worked fantastically! I do still some red to my hair, but not anything like what it was!! I got the extra stregnth one, put it in my hair, wrapped in saran wrap, put on the cap included, put on hubby's wool hat and then a shower cap to make sure it all stayed warm. Rinsed out maybe 2 hours later. Rinsed for 30-35 minutes, washed and conditioned w/o cones. Let it dry. I have NO damage whatsoever. My hair is soft, but does carry the farty smell still.

Now I'm wondering if I want to do another one, LOL!! See if it'll get the rest of the red out!! Thanks to the OP for posting this!!

t_ballet26
January 25th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I did a second color oops treatment two days ago. I had about 5 full head henna applications and 1 henna gloss. The first 4 inches look about the same color as my first henna gloss. I am really happy with the results but will probably wait about a month until my roots grow in to see how bad the difference is, and may do another application then.http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9611&pictureid=124865

Wasabipea
January 25th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I was wondering about that jessibear, whether the straightening properties of henna also got rinsed away. For me, I would like that! Henna has relaxed my waves, I miss them!

These results are all so encouraging - thanks to the OP and everyone for posting their results!

Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with my hair once I get the henna out

Anje
January 25th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Teehee, if I'd gotten to that dark cherry color with henna, I'd have kept it no matter the damage.

NOT FAIR!
What can I say? When you put henna on red hair, it gets red fast.

RocketDog
January 25th, 2012, 10:05 PM
My hair is still feeling very, very dry and kind of coated after doing the Color Oops on Sunday, so I've loaded it up with conditioner and some of nightshade's panacea balm on the very ends and I'm letting it sit overnight. My henna does not appear to have re-oxidized, but thankfully I can report that my virgin haircolor has settled down to its normal shade, and does not appear crazy light like it did the first few days afterwards. I do think I will do another round, but I am definitely waiting until my hair feels normal again.

akilina
January 25th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I did it about a week ago but it was very very ugly orange and so uneven. I could have worked with it but I was just tired of having it on my hair for hours. Also...I had to get it to look decent by the next morning for work. I ended up using some color I had and it went pretty dark. I just decided I'm going to go back to having black hair :( My hair feels alright I guess. Totally NOT as good as it felt before but oh well. Henna was getting old and I was not getting the color i wanted at all

heatherovka
January 26th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I'm probably going to do the Color Oops today since I have the house to myself. Can anybody think of any reason I shouldn't do an SMT immediately after all that rinsing? If I can take having stuff on my head for that long, that is...

heatherovka
January 26th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Also, does the Oops make the hair more porous, or is that the result of previous coloring (with the assumed conventional dye) and then removal? I guess I'm wondering if I'm going to need some protein treatments afterwards?

Has anyone tried protein treatments afterward? Did it seem to help the hair go back to its usual condition?

cheetahfast
January 26th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Also, does the Oops make the hair more porous, or is that the result of previous coloring (with the assumed conventional dye) and then removal? I guess I'm wondering if I'm going to need some protein treatments afterwards?

Has anyone tried protein treatments afterward? Did it seem to help the hair go back to its usual condition?

I didn't, but my hair was fine after. To me it's the rinsing, not the product that caused issues. I just deep conditioned right after.

heatherovka
January 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks, cheetahfast. I just finished the Oops and am sitting with an SMT in right now, so obviously I'll try that first and see if it gets me somewhat back to normal. As I was rinsing/shampooing/rinsing I could tell my hair was veeeery unhappy. I'm not sure what I expected, but it was so squeaky, terribly tangly, and stripped of EVERYTHING.
My roots, which were henna-free, are also crazy light blond-red. That is a little freaky, but at least I know it should oxidize back to the right color. In general my hair looked light orangy-red. Keep in mind I didn't have a ton of henna in my hair and very little red in it naturally, so I do hope that settles too.
And a side note, I used my spin pins to bun my hair with the Oops in it. Now they are all gross, with the paint coming off and there was probably a reaction with the metal and Oops chemicals. So be careful with that! I hope I don't have any strange spots in my hair as a result.

I'm looking forward to seeing my hair when I rinse out the SMT and it's all dry. I honestly don't know how much the henna had darkened it, so I'm curious if it will be a big change or not.

ETA: Oh, yeah, and the smell was quite tolerable. It does smell like salon chemicals, and not nearly as bad as I feared. I expect it will linger for a while, but I may be the only one able to smell it.

Anje
January 26th, 2012, 04:13 PM
My ends seemed kinda coated and left residue on my TT the morning after. (This could easily have been from me leaving in more conditioner than usual, because the ends were tangling crazily while I rinsed, though the tangling seems to indicate that I already had some gunk stuck on there.) So I oiled up the hair, and that night I shampooed with some baking soda mixed in to really really clarify and followed with a soak in some conditioner & honey. My ends are much better now, but the whole incident seems to suggest that you really need to shampoo the Color Oops out afterward.

My hair doesn't seem to have any odor to it, but my bathroom kinda does. I probably dripped some on the counter.....

heatherovka
January 26th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Hair is dry and I'm really not sure what I think. It still has a significant orangy tint, which is now brighter - I was hoping it would be easier to remove glosses. Overall my hair is lighter. It almost seems like it lightened my natural color underneath the henna, and left the henna alone. (I don't think this could be possible, but that's how it looks right now.) :confused:

I don't think I'll repeat the process. I'm a little disappointed because it didn't seem to work as well for me. Maybe in the next few days the color will settle and I'll be happier with it.

MandyBeth
January 26th, 2012, 04:42 PM
My natural color was pretty "OMG, WTF did I just do!" looking for the first 48 hours or so. It's settled down to I think my natural color, but my natural color is so freaked out from the medication, I don't know and I don't care.

Coating - I shampooed it out and I haven't noticed any coatings or anything. The last shampoo, it was a PITA to get out because my ends were so tangled up, but got it out and drenched my head in the SMT for close to 24 hours. They aren't great, but they don't feel like chemical damage, they just feel dry.

GlennaGirl
January 26th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Good report, MandyBeth.

GlennaGirl
January 26th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Heather, let us know how it goes over the next few days!

Anywhere
January 26th, 2012, 09:17 PM
And a side note, I used my spin pins to bun my hair with the Oops in it. Now they are all gross, with the paint coming off and there was probably a reaction with the metal and Oops chemicals. So be careful with that! I hope I don't have any strange spots in my hair as a result. .

You're not supposed to use metal with it, The instructions state:
"Do not mix Color Oops in a metallic bowl, or let Color Oops come in contact with any metallic surface".

Guess we know why now. :eek:

pixiedust
January 26th, 2012, 09:21 PM
That's kind of what I was figuring, but it was worth a shot... oh well. I am planning on strand-testing this coming weekend and seeing what happens. I am in the very awkward stage of growing out where it looks like I'm going bald, thanks to my rather translucent blonde natural haircolor. Quite charming :/

I'm at the same point, it's awful!

heatherovka
January 26th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Heather, let us know how it goes over the next few days!

I will, thanks. Right now it looks a little bleached and smells like a burnt match, blech. It doesn't feel too bad, maybe just a little dry.

You're not supposed to use metal with it

Yes, yes, I know. But they are painted and I always use them when I do SMTs so I didn't really give it a lot of thought. My husband looked at them and said he didn't think it got to the metal, it just took some of the finish off. No weirdness found in my hair. But, they do really stink, so if the scent doesn't fade I may get new ones anyway. :o

My natural color was pretty "OMG, WTF did I just do!" looking for the first 48 hours or so.

This is where I am. I'm just not sure about it. If it is sunny out tomorrow I will try to get some pictures.

Clarita
January 27th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Right now I'm sitting here with colourB4 on my head. I plan to leave it on 2 hours, then (try to!) rinse for 30min using the after colour shampoo/buffer it came with halfway through. I'll probably wait a week or so to post 'after' pics in case the henna re-oxidises but I hope it won't.:D

heatherovka
January 27th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Here are some photos.
Color Oops Album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9676)

Last night I had a little panic attack about my results. I was feeling sick anyway and sort of obsessing about it, everything was bothering me. The smell of my hair was making me feel worse too! It didn't remove my henna (at least not much to my eye) and it did lighten my natural color considerably to this brassy blond. I'm kind of afraid it looks like I had a Sun-In accident. I have serious doubts that this is going to darken up at all - my roots are crazy-light looking - but of course I am still hoping. (I'll probably get roots on these roots!) The pictures don't show exactly how strange the roots look either.

The Color Oops seemed pretty rough on my hair, I am not going to do it again. Its dry and I've noticed more splits, but my hair splits if you even look at it wrong.

Now that I have taken some photos I think it is not so bad. The harsh bathroom lighting makes it look... like I messed up my hair. I'm so confused why my results are different. I left on for 2 hours, rinsed for 30, shampooed twice. Gahhhh! I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I just need to get over it and deal with what I have. I do kinda regret trying this, I should have just left well enough alone. Oh well, live and learn.

Anywhere
January 27th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Here are some photos.

Last night I had a little panic attack about my results. I was feeling sick anyway and sort of obsessing about it, everything was bothering me. The smell of my hair was making me feel worse too! It didn't remove my henna (at least not much to my eye) and it did lighten my natural color considerably to this brassy blond. I'm kind of afraid it looks like I had a Sun-In accident. I have serious doubts that this is going to darken up at all - my roots are crazy-light looking - but of course I am still hoping. (I'll probably get roots on these roots!) The pictures don't show exactly how strange the roots look either.

The Color Oops seemed pretty rough on my hair, I am not going to do it again. Its dry and I've noticed more splits, but my hair splits if you even look at it wrong.

Now that I have taken some photos I think it is not so bad. The harsh bathroom lighting makes it look... like I messed up my hair. I'm so confused why my results are different. I left on for 2 hours, rinsed for 30, shampooed twice. Gahhhh! I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I just need to get over it and deal with what I have. I do kinda regret trying this, I should have just left well enough alone. Oh well, live and learn.

I think everyone gets that 'woah! my natural color lightened!' shock at first. It's been a week since I last oops'd and my hair is back to its natural light brown state, compared to the strawberry blonde I had immediately after. I'm almost positive it will calm down for you too. :flower:

MandyBeth
January 27th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Heather, I'm wondering if the metal in your hair might be part of it?

I do have more splits and just mecky feeling ends. But it's not that chemical ick feeling at all. I think it's the extended washing and excessive abuse of shampoo that did it. Which doesn't shock me in the least, since that's what normally happens if I do that to my hair. I get more splits doing just clarifying shampoo and no conditioner to see what my hair needs (usually moisture) or do apply Manic Panic.

Also - did you use extra conditioning or extra strength?

I used EC, ES seemed like it would be a little too much.

heatherovka
January 27th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Thank you Anywhere, that does give me some hope. Patience, patience...

MandyBeth, I really don't think it was the metal spin pins, gosh I hope not. They were just touching a tiny bit of my hair and the bleach-look (my major gripe) is all over. I used ES, that was all I saw at the store.

heatherovka
January 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I do have more splits and just mecky feeling ends. But it's not that chemical ick feeling at all. I think it's the extended washing and excessive abuse of shampoo that did it.

That very well could be it for me too, I just meant that whole process was a lot for my hair to take. I have really babied it for over two years now and still get lots of splits, I think my hair is particularly prone to that. Easy to damage. :rolleyes: I just trimmed 4 inches at Christmas and the splits are already starting again.

Once my hair gets some more natural oils back in it, and I get back to my CO'ing and oils, butters, and SMTs, it should look at least a little darker.

Oh, and my spin pins don't smell as bad anymore either. :cheese: I washed them well and they've been sitting out. Maybe I'll put some nailpolish on them to reseal the finish.

kjirstiben
January 27th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Question: has anyone who's done this found a good way to either cancel out or mask the nasty sulphur smell? I tried a deep conditioning treatment a few days later with some EO added (star anise), and while it didn't smell like farts after that, it smelled like I'd been hanging out in the kitchen of an ethnic food restaurant for a week or so...

I've been thinking about using some perfume oil, maybe something with a heavy woody/resiny (patchouli? vetiver?) base to it in order to overcome the nasty smell of the Oops, but would rather not make my hair smell even MORE disgusting...

Any thoughts? Has anyone successfully gotten rid of the smell in less than a couple weeks?

Damiana
January 28th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I'm sitting here again stinking of my second application! I've had to light incense all around the house 'cos I'm trailing the smell around like Pepe La Pew with a shower cap on lol!
I found that my haircolour oxidized fairly quickly after the first try and I wonder if really it just got rid of a whole heap of build-up and we've got hard water here too.
Kjirstiben, I found using one of my conditioners (Lush American Cream) as a leave-in did wonders for masking the smell. It does have vanilla overtones with a bit of lavender though and not to everyone's taste, lol. I think after a week I finally stopped noticing a smell but I was enjoying the Lush smell anyway. A mix of lavender and patchouli in some hair oil would probably work quite well.:)

Clarita
January 28th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Here are some photos.

Last time I used a hair color remover I had a lot more virgin hair (about 6 inches) than I do now and it did turn a couple of shades lighter at first....causing me to panic! BUT, after about a week it was back to my original color.

Bagginslover
January 28th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Just finished my second colourB4 treatment, and it's worked lots better this time! My hair is significantly lighter, though my bleached bits still arent blonde-I have used straighteners right after colouring though, so I'm not expecting it to come right out.

The front of my scalp, and forehead are sore though, almost burnt feeling! Even if it hadn't worked well, I don't think I'd be repeating it. I had no reaction to it last week at all, but this week I used 2 boxes, so I can only assume it was down to there being so much more of it.

kjirstiben
January 28th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I found using one of my conditioners (Lush American Cream) as a leave-in did wonders for masking the smell. It does have vanilla overtones with a bit of lavender though and not to everyone's taste, lol. I think after a week I finally stopped noticing a smell but I was enjoying the Lush smell anyway. A mix of lavender and patchouli in some hair oil would probably work quite well.:)

Interesting... I actually have that exact conditioner! Since I am sitting here with my third Oops application making my eyes water and stinking up the house (and upsetting my cats), I may work American Cream into my post-Oops routine this time. I've got some lavender EO that I could add to intensify it, too... Hmmm.

I've been liberally oiling and deep-conditioning my hair after each application and it's making a big difference, though since my hair has been consistently in a sort of stringy over-oiled state, it's hard to tell what the final result will look like...

My ends are definitely lighter than they were, though after 2 applications I'm still at the stage where it's more like, "I think it's a little lighter..." I'm hoping that after another couple applications I'll be back in the blond range and away from the deep reds.

t_ballet26
January 28th, 2012, 07:35 PM
To help get rid of the smell I mixed tomato juice into my thick conditioner and put it on my hair under a cap for about a hour twice. It definitely helped reduce the smell a lot.

RocketDog
January 28th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I used One'N'Only Argan oil conditioner afterwards, and that smell cancelled out the sulfur smell for me. Of course, I don't care for the smell of the argan oil stuff (smells like bleach and earthworms to me) it's better than sulfur.

Jessibear2854
January 28th, 2012, 10:10 PM
It's been almost a week and my hair still stinks and the color oxidized again and looks quite a bit darker :/

I think I'll do a second application when I have time to stink up the house again. Going to try a leave-in condish to mask the smell.

Damiana
January 29th, 2012, 09:12 AM
To help get rid of the smell I mixed tomato juice into my thick conditioner and put it on my hair under a cap for about a hour twice. It definitely helped reduce the smell a lot.

Woooo tomato juice! I'd never have thought - I'm assuming it has some odour-eating properties then?:ponder::)

kjirstiben
January 29th, 2012, 09:37 AM
That's right! I'd forgotten that tomato juice is often used as a smell-canceller for skunk spray, too... In fact, I'm looking up articles on removing skunk smell, since it has the sulfur component in common. However, I don't think I'm anxious to douse my hair in baking soda/peroxide/dish detergent, even if it's kind of stinky! (I wonder if coffee grounds would work? Or stain?)

heatherovka
January 29th, 2012, 10:14 AM
The smell has faded a lot for me since I did the treatment on Thursday. That day all I had to do was move to smell it, now I have to press my nose into my hair to detect it. It is wash day for me, and I think the smell will be reactivated. My husband says the shower is stinky. :(

I think a vinegar rinse would be an easy and fairly safe thing to try first. Vinegar is often used for deodorizing. I think I'll mix it a little stronger than usual and leave it sitting on my hair longer.

jojo
January 29th, 2012, 11:34 AM
My hair is still feeling very, very dry and kind of coated after doing the Color Oops on Sunday, so I've loaded it up with conditioner and some of nightshade's panacea balm on the very ends and I'm letting it sit overnight. My henna does not appear to have re-oxidized, but thankfully I can report that my virgin haircolor has settled down to its normal shade, and does not appear crazy light like it did the first few days afterwards. I do think I will do another round, but I am definitely waiting until my hair feels normal again.

when i started doing this last September, i found following with a honey treatment helped with dryness and also pulled a little more red out. To get rid of the smell plus get the moisture in try a coconut milk soak, totally got rid of the farty smell for me!

ETA- as i found and concluded coney conditioners prevented my hair from staying the lighter colour after using CB4, id recommend anybody not getting good results or noticing hair re-darkening to go coneless. I used tresemme natural and my hair stayed my natural colour.

heatherovka
January 29th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Umm... The vinegar rinse made my hair smell very strange wet, but now that it is almost dry, I don't smell anything odd. Maybe at some point I'll try the coconut milk, thanks jojo!

bigred199
January 29th, 2012, 11:28 PM
I guess I'll join in the conversation, since I've been experimenting with this too! I've tried Color Oops twice now, three hours each time, in an attempt to lighten my henna a little. My hair's a fading red naturally, and I left my first and only whole-head henna application on too long and went to dark auburn, which i lightened thereafter with hydrogen peroxide to a . . . I don't know, lighter dark red.

After the first application of Color Oops and rinsing for 30 minutes, my hair seemed somewhat lighter, but darkened again after a couple of days. I tried the second application about a week later, and this time used two boxes to cover my almost-waist-length hair. My hair was super-light after that application, pretty much straight up red/strawberry. It was so pretty! But darkened after about two days. I can't tell if it's going to darken all the way again yet--it's been about five days now and it's not back to as dark as it was, I don't think.

I've been very careful about going coneless, per the instructions on here. I haven't tried the honey thing afterwards, and maybe I'll try that if I give it another go. The smell is pretty awful, I have to agree, and I've been careful to "Oops" only when my super-sensitive-sniffer roommate isn't at home. The smell reminds me of the many perms I had as a child. I went into the bathroom the day following one application of 'Oops and got a whiff from the empty application bottle and thought, "Wow, that is FOUL." Today I went to church with wet hair and could smell that foul smell the whole time. I felt bad for anyone sitting near me.

I don't think I'll post any pics until I have some results that are actually sticking. Good luck to everyone!

Anywhere
January 30th, 2012, 08:31 AM
If people are actually experiencing the henna re-darkening, then the oops isn't removing it, just un-oxidizing it, like I believe lemon juice does as well.

It's been over a week since my second treatment, my hair is dark again, but it is because it finally reoxidized to my natural color. There's still a little bit of henna in there, but most of my redarkening was just my hair turning back to its normal, non-strawberry blonde color that the oops made it.

Cones or not, if the henna is removed it shouldn't make a difference IMO. If the henna is gone, no amount of cones will bring it back. :shrug:

Bagginslover
January 30th, 2012, 08:43 AM
If people are actually experiencing the henna re-darkening, then the oops isn't removing it, just un-oxidizing it, like I believe lemon juice does as well.

This is called 'reducing' *is studying chemistry*

If the henna is reappearing after looking like its gone, its just not been rinsed out. Its tells you this in the ColourB4 instructions, but might not in Color Oops I suppose. The colour molecule size is reduced by the oops, which then allows it to me rinsed away, if its not rinsed out, it will simply expand again, and the colour will show up again ;)

Anywhere
January 30th, 2012, 09:54 AM
This is called 'reducing' *is studying chemistry*

If the henna is reappearing after looking like its gone, its just not been rinsed out. Its tells you this in the ColourB4 instructions, but might not in Color Oops I suppose. The colour molecule size is reduced by the oops, which then allows it to me rinsed away, if its not rinsed out, it will simply expand again, and the colour will show up again ;)

Yes, it reduces it as well, but the Color Oops instructions mention the oxidation process, right at the beginning actually. "How Does Color Oops work? Color Oops reverses the oxidation process of hair color pigment" ..... "If any of the dye intermediates are left in the hair they can re-oxidize over time and your hair can redarken".

I have no idea what ColourB4 says, but this is what Color Oops says. ;)

Bagginslover
January 30th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Sorry, I meant the opposite of oxidising is called reducing, as well as it referring to the size of the dye molecules. The dye remover doesn't use this proper terminology as its confusing to those who haven't studied chemistry (I was being a smart @ss truth be told ;) )

Add oxygen= oxidise
remove oxygen (chemically)=reduce

Sorry I wasn't clear :)

Anje
January 30th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Yeah, Color Oops has a bunch of reducing agents in it. Hence the smell of sulfides.

Anywhere
January 30th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Sorry, I meant the opposite of oxidising is called reducing, as well as it referring to the size of the dye molecules. The dye remover doesn't use this proper terminology as its confusing to those who haven't studied chemistry (I was being a smart @ss truth be told ;) )

Add oxygen= oxidise
remove oxygen (chemically)=reduce

Sorry I wasn't clear :)

Lol. Well don't I feel silly. I thought reducing and 'un-oxidizing' were two different things by the way you worded it.. Excuse my lack of chemistry knowledge. I'm a psych major, I don't know your chem jargon. :o

But, back to the point I guess. I still don't get how cones would re-darken the hair any more than the hair would be normally, unless the henna was not actually removed. If something is gone, it is gone. That's where I'm stumped. Is it because some of the henna is still small and can be washed away in the next wash?

My hair re-darkened, but only back to it's natural shade for the most part.

kjirstiben
January 30th, 2012, 01:35 PM
My thought (and this is a "best guess" but here goes): This treatment works by opening the cuticles and reducing the dye molecules so that they can be rinsed out. If you were using a coney shampoo or conditioner in the process, it would do what it's supposed to and "seal" the hair shaft. Normally you want this for glossiness, but here you want your cuticle open so the dye can be washed out. Thus 'cones would cause the dye molecules to be trapped in the hair and would counteract any additional rinsing you'd do. (This is why you need heat for this process to work, because it opens the cuticle and allows the dye to escape the hair. Cold water and cold air would work against you.)

I suspect that after you're done rinsing, you can probably use products with 'cones because at that point you aren't trying to get rid of any additional dye molecules.

However, it's possible that something in the silicone compounds is reacting with the reduced dye molecules to hasten the oxidation process. I'm not enough of a chemist to know this.

Anyhow, that's my take on it...

bigred199
January 30th, 2012, 02:55 PM
(This is why you need heat for this process to work, because it opens the cuticle and allows the dye to escape the hair. Cold water and cold air would work against you.)

In that case, would it be best to rinse your hair with the hottest water you can stand? I rinsed my hair with kind of lukewarm water, in an effort to get my meager water heater to stretch 30 minutes . . . could that have affected the process badly?

I'm fascinated by the chemistry side of this, but I'm a chemistry dunce myself. Does anyone have any insight into why some people experience henna removal and others experience re-oxidizing?

Anywhere
January 30th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I know the heat helps and not to use coney products while washing it out, but I am talking about after. The recommendation to use cone-free products for a few washes after and stuff. How cones make it redarken while no-cones apparently do not. I'm so bad at trying to explain. :o

Color Oops also says to shampoo like 4 times, like once every 5 minutes or so. I'm guessing the amount of shampoos, length of rinsing time, and temperature of the water all have some effect on the final outcome (as well as the hair related variables).

All I can say is I used cheap henna, glossed a bunch, the oldest layer of henna was less than a year old. So I don't think the Oops had nearly as hard a time removing my henna as someone who does full-on hennas for years. ;) ETA: that being said, I still have henna on my ends. They are not the bleached blonde they were pre-henna, but I am ok with that.

Ninika
January 30th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Wow, what a fantastic result! This is so very tempting - I'm wondering if henndigo can be removed so that hair can be dyed blonde without turning green :ponder:.

Has anyone tried bleaching over Color Oopsed henndigo?

If Color Oops is similar to ColorFix, I couldn't stand it much longer than half an hour/40 minutes, as it was burning my scalp. I went for half-arsed removal of henndigo and wound up doing some dye work to cover resulting green.

I hope you don't mind me asking: do you mean half-arsed just because you did not leave it longer? Or was there anything else? Would you mind explaining how exactly you did it?

Before I take the plunge I'd like to know what to avoid :).

jel
January 30th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I've just finished a Colour B4 treatment. I kept it on for over 2 hours, then rinsed for 30 minutes (including the treatment "buffer", shampoo, honey/cinnamon 2 minute rinse and conditioner).

My hair is not dry yet, but the length does seem lighter, more faded orange rather than red. I'll see what it looks like when fully dry, and whether it will re-oxidise in the next few days. I have been a hennahead for 5 years up until a year ago, with probably 10-15 full head BAQ henna applications during that time.

I intend to take some pictures, and also do at least one further treatment, if not 2. I'll wait a couple of weeks and pamper my hair in between!

Thanks for sharing this method, Mairead and Jojo, and everyone else who posted on this thread! :)

Goldie Locks
January 30th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I over hennaed my naturally light red hair last week. I now know what I did wrong. I had only ever mixed my henna with hot water - it was actually a good way for me to just add a bit of brightness to my hair...but then I read online about adding lemon juice or vinegar to make the henna last longer and that it would give it a more coppery tone. Since I wanted it a tiny bit deeper red, I added vinegar.....and ended up looking like Ariel from the Little Mermaid. it is also a brighter red near my hairline...the back is actually a decent color, but the front/bangs/temples area is way too red....a fakey bright red. I want to lighten it a bit all over, so it looks more natural...HELP! The 'grow out' and roots are going to be terrible!

I have read through this thread and have some questions.

What is the honey lightening treatment? How is that done? Would honey help at all? Should I try that first?

And with the Oops stuff...can I get that from any drug store?

I just want this ultra bright red on the crown to be toned down!!! I like the golden red I had when I used henna before. Heavy sigh.

Mairéad
January 30th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I over hennaed my naturally light red hair last week. I now know what I did wrong. I had only ever mixed my henna with hot water - it was actually a good way for me to just add a bit of brightness to my hair...but then I read online about adding lemon juice or vinegar to make the henna last longer and that it would give it a more coppery tone. Since I wanted it a tiny bit deeper red, I added vinegar.....and ended up looking like Ariel from the Little Mermaid. it is also a brighter red near my hairline...the back is actually a decent color, but the front/bangs/temples area is way too red....a fakey bright red. I want to lighten it a bit all over, so it looks more natural...HELP! The 'grow out' and roots are going to be terrible!

I have read through this thread and have some questions.

What is the honey lightening treatment? How is that done? Would honey help at all? Should I try that first?

And with the Oops stuff...can I get that from any drug store?

I just want this ultra bright red on the crown to be toned down!!! I like the golden red I had when I used henna before. Heavy sigh.

Yes, Color Oops is from the drugstore.
A honey treatment is basically 2 table spoons honey and 2/3 cups distilled water. You can also add about a table spoon cinnamon and maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. You leave it set for an hour then you apply to your wet hair and keep it under a shower cap for an hour.

This mixture creates a very low level of peroxide. It isn't enough to damage but enough to add highlights and has the potential to take shade up a shade if done enough. The point of it in this process is to help break down the henna "overcoat" and even to re moisturize the hair after the excessive rinsing and shampooing.

bigred199
January 30th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Um, okay, I feel really stupid posting this. For some reason I thought cones were only in conditioner. :oops: I just checked the shampoo I used to wash out the Oops, and it has two different cones in it!! What?! Wow, why didn't I know that? Obviously my LHC education has been neglected somewhere.

Silly me. :rolleyes: I'll try this again with some plain old cone-free Suave shampoo.

RocketDog
January 30th, 2012, 11:44 PM
I haven't experienced any re-darkening of the henna-stained parts of my hair, just the natural stuff, which thankfully did calm down after a few days. I plan to do my second treatment sometime this week, after I shampoo it next - I have been using a coney hair serum on my ends and I don't want to have that hinder the Color Oops from working it's smelly magic.

Goldie Locks
January 31st, 2012, 08:34 AM
Yes, Color Oops is from the drugstore.
A honey treatment is basically 2 table spoons honey and 2/3 cups distilled water. You can also add about a table spoon cinnamon and maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. You leave it set for an hour then you apply to your wet hair and keep it under a shower cap for an hour.

This mixture creates a very low level of peroxide. It isn't enough to damage but enough to add highlights and has the potential to take shade up a shade if done enough. The point of it in this process is to help break down the henna "overcoat" and even to re moisturize the hair after the excessive rinsing and shampooing.

Thanks for the info!!!

Well, I am taking the plunge and trying the Oops method. So far it's been on 30 minutes and my scalp is a little itchy here and there...so it's doing something. I just can't stand this Little Mermaid RED anymore! ;)

I will go back to my 'old' way of using henna, which worked well for my natural light red hair color...I just mixed it with plain hot water and left it on for about 30 minutes...it gave my hair a nice healthy shine and pretty golden undertones.

I HOPE I can get my hair back!!! My hair is kind of my trade mark and I feel lost without my normal color! I've never colored my hair before - so I am fairly traumatized by this whole experience, LOL!

I'll post my results later when I'm done!!! :o

Wish me luck!!!