PDA

View Full Version : Aloe vera gel as a moisturizer?

brok3nwings
July 13th, 2008, 05:26 PM
i did not know that alo vera gel could be used for moisture, im still not sure but since i´ve been using as a rotine to hold a bit more my waves (and fot that purpose only works for a few hours...) then i have to comb my hair and it stays really smooth and i can only think of that new thing on my rotin. or it could also be the white vinegar rinse...but i dont think so. I think its from the Aloe vera gel. Why do you use aloe vera??? I have only heard until now for holding purposes, as a natural gel :rolleyes:

lookingglass
July 13th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I use it every day for hold and shine. I use it in my SMT's for moisture.:D

brok3nwings
July 13th, 2008, 07:34 PM
so its true that it has moisturizing ingredients??

Riot Crrl
July 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM
The aloe vera is the moisturizing ingredient.

I've used the juice for a deep treatment, but I find it to be not really enough on its own. I put oil over it.

brok3nwings
July 13th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I actually have been putting the aloe vera gel with a bit of coconut oil...the thing is...the coconut oil jut by itself usually makes my hair a bit crunchy...but with the aloe vera gel its been making my hair soft, really soft

Neoma
July 13th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I actually have been putting the aloe vera gel with a bit of coconut oil...the thing is...the coconut oil jut by itself usually makes my hair a bit crunchy...but with the aloe vera gel its been making my hair soft, really softbrok3nwings, aloe gel makes my hair very soft all by itself, too. I love it. In fact, thank you for reminding me how much I love it. I'll apply some tonight. :flower:

brok3nwings
July 14th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Neoma eheh that´s great. im glad i remind you of something that makes your hair happy :)

ladystar
July 14th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Hi!! Question

Do you girls use the actual plant, juice or gel?

Tapioca
July 14th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I use aloe and jojoba on my hair and face. (I could use it all over, but aloe's a tad expensive for that, and regular lotion works fine on my body.) I mix them in a small bowl until it emulsifies and looks the texture and color of, well... snot. Toss it in a bottle, and I'm off. I apply it to my freshly-washed face as a moisturizer, and to towel-damp hair as a leave in. A bit of it in a mister bottle with some water makes a good mid-day freshener for both hair and face.

brok3nwings
July 14th, 2008, 11:10 AM
yes..i am still confused... i use de aloe vera GEL , it says it is 99.9 % aloe vera... i think it has nothing bad on it, but it still has the texture of gel. What do you use on your hair? And another question, why is aloe vera considered moisturizing.. it has nothing to do with the texture of oils or conditioner right? So anyone knows this?

yogachic
July 14th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I use the gel, I would use the plant if i had one. Once I recieved one, but it got mushy. Aloe very is an ingredient in S/C's, as a moisurizer, so it's got to be good for hair.

The aloe gel I use says its 100% Aloe.

Kirin
July 14th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I use Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel, its 99 percent pure, and the other ingredients are the thickener (to make it gel) and a preservative (you want that so it won't go bad).

When I first tried it for hair, it didn't work well, but now that my hair is longer, it loves it. It gives wonderful moisture and shine. I also use it on my face, and neck as a daily moisturizer out of the shower. I use it daily on my damp just washed hair.

According to scientific study, Aloe Vera has not been proven to have any benefit as a moisturizer, wound healer, or any other topical application to the skin. Its only scientifically proven to be effective as a laxative (internally), be mildly antimacrobial, and sooths *minor* skin irritations or burns (sunburn, heat-rash, 1st degree burns of the skin).

Aloe Vera is not a humectant, and contains no compounds that would draw or retain moisture..... and yet, some find it moisturizing.

It has been used however, for centuries for just this purpose, and a long list of other medicinal purposes. Proven or not, its effectiveness and just why it works as a moisturizer is still rather a mystery.

Tapioca
July 14th, 2008, 03:14 PM
The .1% in the 99.9% pure gels is usually glycerin to get it to "gel". Glycerin on its own is a humectant (I sometimes add it to my mister) and can be good for hair. Warning! Don't put straight glycerin on dry hair. Humectants work by drawing moisture in. On dry hair, it will draw in any moisture that's left, leaving hair dryer. When mixed with water, however, it helps the moisture get into the hair shaft.

brok3nwings
July 14th, 2008, 05:43 PM
kirin and Tapioca those are things that i didnt know about and are very interesting :)