PDA

View Full Version : Long curly hair

Cocoa_Crema
December 15th, 2011, 12:33 PM
is a challenge!

Here are my reasons why:

1. It's hard to go too long with out washing and detangling for me. After a couple of days my hair tangles, clumps, frizzes, and just doesn't look as good.

I wish I could just brush it, but it rips and damages my hair. The only time I can unsnarl it is in the shower with a wide toothed comb and copious amounts of conditioner. I know that if it was straight I could get away without washing longer.

2. Curly hair is drier, or at least mine is. I feel that my takes extra moisture and is prone to break more. So it's going to take longer to reach my ideal length.

3. My hair is a lot longer than it looks. When it curls it is at bra srap length. When straight it almost reaches mid back.

I'm a 3a 3b. Any other curly long hairs like me? Here is picture from last year. My curls are a lot less curlier than they are now. Henna and indigo have loosened my curl pattern.

Tehehehe on the jaguar face! :) http://i.imgur.com/MHnF9.jpg

vanity_acefake
December 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Oh your hair is so beautiful though.
I'm a total streighty. So I do love curls so much.

moon2dove
December 15th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Mine is a little less curlier than yours. When I stretch mine it's below BSL when it curls it's about 2" shorter - or a little shorter, depending on how tight my ringlets are. :( baahh!)

PS..Love the Jaguar face :)

Kina
December 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
While I agree that you can't go without detangling for more than a couple of days, I disagree with the washing.

I CO daily, although I'm not as curly as you, it works fine for mine, reduces split ends, etc.

You have lovely hair.

LovingLife
December 15th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Haha!
I actually find curly hair a lot easier than I would expect straight hair to be but that's just my milk and cheese :)
For one curly hair at a certain length and thickness has a way to look extremely long :)
If you botch a trim whilist its straight you can guarantee it won't be THAT bad :)
You don't have you struggle with hemlines.
And bengin neglect is so easy. Buns and coconut oil are my friend :)
And I do believe the OP may be my hair twin :)
So hang in there!

door72067
December 15th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I'm not as curly, but I understand what you are saying about stretching washes and having it not look great after a day or two. I find that CO in between washes helps greatly. If I want to stretch an extra day, I will braid or bun on the 3rd day, but otherwise, it is wash day, co day, wash day, etc (unless I am not going anywhere special, then I just skip and bun)

Fructis Sleek & Shine is a nice product, imho...it keeps the frizzies at bay and I use it on both wet and dry hair with success

PinkyCat
December 15th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Yup. Me.

Have you considered the CG method? Check out natuallycurly.com - there is great info on this there. I have been CG for almost two years and it has been the absolute best thing that has ever happened to my hair.

Cocoa_Crema
December 15th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks all! I know I'm not alone now. :) The max I can usually go without washing is 3 days, and on that third day it's in a bun.

Also, my hair is a lot less curlier because I went through a monthly hennaing phase. I haven't hennaed in 3 or so months hoping to see if my curls will come back.

Does indigo loosen curl pattern as well?

lapushka
December 15th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Two sites that might give you a different perspective or some ideas:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair
http://www.tightlycurly.com

dulce
December 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I have curly waist length hair in the 2's.Moisture shampoos and conditioners[Pantene line] help prevent tangles due to the slip provided by silicones in Pantene.I also use a clear shine hair serum over my canopy after it is dry.I threw away my boar bristle brush,brushing causes frizz due to my curls, and only use a wide tooth comb to detangle after a shampoo ,other than that I don't comb as that causes frizz..If I get a tangle I oil it well then use my fingers only to detangle.I shampoo daily and condition ends well,and then let it air dry till almost dry then blow dry gently with a diffuser on my blowdryer to loosen my tight ringlets.Once I found what works for my hair ,the curls are no longer a problem.Check out The curly girl handbook sold in local stores.

Tigermama
December 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Cool Post! I can completely relate. Every three inches looks like an inch on me. This is going to be worth it though. I also battle the dryness, tangles, and tribulations. If I don't detangle with conditioner daily, the bottom half of my hair breaks like crazy. Also, if my hair bends at the bottom I get an instant white dot, and goodbye hair. Wearing a braid even causes me damage, my hair is so fragile! Plus, cones make it worse long term for me. I wish I could use them, because it gives such a nice appearance. Two days later, I whole world of splits and dots. My hair is past waist but looks only BSL, and it is thin at the bottom.

Here are a few things I have learned that have helped me:

1) Castor oil overnight soaks for the ends, makes em so silky! (Can be a bit sticky sometimes though)
2)Instead of CO daily, I now moisten my length a handful of water, add Garnier Fructis Triple Moisture ( generous Quarter sized amt.) Then I comb with a wide toothed comb VERY gently, leaving in the conditioner. I olive oil lightly over that and let it dry. Then I apply a light coating of Fox's Shea made with olive oil. The effect is decent looking curls or detangled for an updo. In this way, I can stretch washes and let my scalp stay dry to reduce shedding. Now I just use shampoo CWC monthly and CO 2x per week. (one time is a deep conditioning)

Things I want to try:
1/8 inch monthly trim by the lunar phase. Maybe I can catch up with the hair I know is going to break off anyways! I am trying so hard to keep ends in my hair, after a life time of letting it go wild. I have never before made it to BSL, so something must be working here.

Tricking myself into not thinking about it. For me it is a long road ahead so I may as well settle in and enjoy the ride, lest I go crazy.

I know that very long curly hair is rare, but definitely possible!

dulce
December 15th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I found washing daily with a good moisture shampoo[I use Pantene curly to moisturized shampoo with added conditioner] then use the Pantene curly to moisturized conditioner only after rinsing out my shampoo.Then add clear hair shine serum over the canopy once it is dry.That helps keep it from getting dry.

dulce
December 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I also mop my hair with a very plush soft bathrobe after washing,no towels,so as not to disturb the cuticle and cause frizz,then let airdry.

dulce
December 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
If you don't have the time in am ,do this at night and then sleep in a satin sleeping cap[sold on ebay ,not expensive] with your freshly washed dry hair.The cap helps stop frizz and tangles when you sleep.

3azza
December 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Mine is past tailbone (i need to update my profile), it took ages, and i need more time because the last 10 cm are thinner, unlike the thick hemline in the photo. I have found out that washing every other day is the best thing i can do to protect my hair because this is when i get to detangle it and moisturize it. Now i'm CO washing and avoiding all the SLS and cones, but before i used SLS coney shampoo/conditioner and my hair was in perfect shape. I use henna for the color, i guess it does loosen the curl, but only temporarily when the mud is not completely out of my hair. i also use oil, now only in the swimming season because of the sun and salt. My point is: conditioner and leave in are the two things that helped me grow my hair with minimum damage. Good luck to all...

Curly Hermione
December 15th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I can completely relate, you basically described my exact routine!

dili
December 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM
my hair was once very curly tailbone, with lot of damage from bleaching and dyeing...but it was ``there``, and not thaaaat bad...it takes time to grow, since the grow is ``hidden``, but with lot of moisturize is totally possible!

girlcat36
December 15th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Cocoa Crema, your hair is gorgeous!!!
Yes, long curly hair is very difficult. I have to wash every 2 or 3 days, and I find castor oil very beneficial. My hair is babyfine so I can't tolerate all the product that most curlies use to get such beautiful curls. I just do the best I can.

LovingLife
December 15th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Mine is past tailbone (i need to update my profile), it took ages, and i need more time because the last 10 cm are thinner, unlike the thick hemline in the photo. I have found out that washing every other day is the best thing i can do to protect my hair because this is when i get to detangle it and moisturize it. Now i'm CO washing and avoiding all the SLS and cones, but before i used SLS coney shampoo/conditioner and my hair was in perfect shape. I use henna for the color, i guess it does loosen the curl, but only temporarily when the mud is not completely out of my hair. i also use oil, now only in the swimming season because of the sun and salt. My point is: conditioner and leave in are the two things that helped me grow my hair with minimum damage. Good luck to all...

How long did it take you? :)

Cocoa_Crema
December 15th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Thank you all again for the links and advice. :blossom:

So what do you all think about lighter silicones in conditioners?

I've started to stay away from SLS's however I still like my cones in condish. I use a non cone condish like VO5 or Suave and then mix it about equal parts with Aussie Miracle or Tresseme moisturzing condish.

Also, I think I'm due for clarifying shampoo. The oils (coconut and EVOO) seem to being weighing it down.

For styling products I've been using Suave Curls mousse or LA Looks Sports Gel.... To be honest I'm not to enthused with them. I just hate to buy more unnecessary products to join the cemetery underneath my sink of products.

What do you curlies like to hold your curls? :)

Cocoa_Crema
December 15th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Oh, and all of your hair is so beautiful! My goodness!

dulce
December 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM
To loosen my curls after it is dry, I'll sometimes put it up in a coiled twisted lazywrap bun for maybe 10 minutes,it loosens the curl and helps tame frizz.

girlcat36
December 15th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Sulfates make my hair fall out, so I can't use them; and cones make my hair break off after about APL. So no cones, ever. Believe it or not I have been trying to grow out my curls since 1991! It kept breaking off; it wasn't until 2006 that I found out about cones. Once I gave them up I started to gain length, except then I got cancer and went bald on half of my head :( So I had to start from scratch in late 2007. It took me three years to get to BSL curly from bald.

My Holy Grail product is Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. When, and if, I use a gel it is Aubrey Organics B5 gel. My hair is too fine for most curl styling creams.

It is good to know your hair's porosity level when you are a curly. I always thought I had high porosity and used the according products. I could never figure out my hair--nothing semed to work. I have since discovered that my hair is actually low porosity! So I changed up my routine to one geared towards low porosity and my hair is much happier.

Copasetic
December 15th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Growing out curly hair can be tough, but in my opinion, there is nothing prettier than waist length curls.

Happy growing! You can tough it out. It will be worth it in the end.

cubiczoeconia
December 15th, 2011, 08:22 PM
For styling products I've been using Suave Curls mousse or LA Looks Sports Gel.... To be honest I'm not to enthused with them. I just hate to buy more unnecessary products to join the cemetery underneath my sink of products.

What do you curlies like to hold your curls? :)

I'm not a curly girl, but I am a hairdresser. Interestingly enough, we actually do CO washes on all of our curly clients, and advise them to do the same.

As far as your products go, stay away from anything with alcohol (which I can guarantee is right there in the beginning of the ingredients on both of hose products.) You're right when you say that your curls are dryer than straight hair, and alcohol, by nature, is drying. Look for curly definers or cremes that are moisturizing. For some people, even a light leave in conditioner can define curls.

I personally work at a Paul Mitchell salon and really love Round Trip as a definer, and the Sculpting Foam (regular, NOT extra-body) as a product combination that keeps my curly girls looking great and feeling soft as silk. However, I'm sure there are comparable products elsewhere. Just stay away from that alcohol! (Starting to sound like a rehab coach over here...)

eezepeeze
December 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM
As far as your products go, stay away from anything with alcohol

Absolutely! Alcohol is soooo drying and it is usually one of the first ingredients listed in more economical products.

It's so interesting to see how different everyone's hair is, even amongst us curlies.
For me, I tried the curlygirl method and did learn some valuable information there, but in the end I gave it up because my hair desperately needs cones. It's just wild and unmanageable without them. I do still plop from time to time.

Currently, this is my routine: EVOO before washing, even if it's just for a few minutes. Frizz-Ease Smooth Start Shampoo and Conditioner (I wash about every 3-4 days); then Nexus split end repair cream on the ends, followed by Frizz Ease super control antifrizz serum (purple bottle), and then either Herbal Essences curly gel or Frizz Ease spray gel curl enhancing spray.

I also just picked up Chi heat protectant and Got2B heat protecant as I straighten my bangs and occasionally straighten the length (gasp!). And, I just picked up an Argan oil product that I've used on my dry hair several times to revive it...jury's still out that one. It's called Argan Magic Intensive hiar oil. It DOES have cones in it, so it's not a straight oil.

As you can see, I pretty much bathe my hair in cones and oil. This is the only way I've been able to get my hair to cooperate and it seems to be okay because I've has great results since I've been here.

I have also discovered that my ends react TERRIBLY to S&D. Trims are much better and help my ends stay healthy. I've learned some great info here about general hair care and protective updos. But, I will never ever give up my cones again!

Quixii
December 15th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I feel like having long curly hair is hard because it's so variable. The shower before last, my hair dried almost 3a/3b, and looked really great. It even lasted a couple days before I put it in a braid. Most recent shower, my hair is more like 2b/3a and just doesn't look that happy. I did exactly the same thing both times. :shrug:
But sometimes the built-in variety is nice. :)

LovingLife
December 16th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Growing out curly hair can be tough, but in my opinion, there is nothing prettier than waist length curls.

Happy growing! You can tough it out. It will be worth it in the end.

I think butt length and beyond curls are BEAUTIFUL! :)

Nera
December 16th, 2011, 05:15 AM
I deal with the EXACT same issues as you. It is definitely a challenge and it get's tougher and tougher in my opinion. Even updo's or braids make it tangle.

But let's not forget about all the nice things about long curly hair. Curls are playful. Thick hair often makes a great impression on people, in other words, make you stand out. Plus, it takes a long time to grow curls, but once you've gotten there, you REALLY feel like you've accomplished something, because it was such a challenge.

I realize I might not accually have anything useful to say, besides: good luck!

3azza
December 16th, 2011, 12:34 PM
How long did it take you? :)

in 2009 when i joined, it was waist length, so by 2012, it would be 3 years.

Egana
December 16th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I so agree - breakage is so frustrating - and I avoid S&D's! I don't measure, but try to enjoy my hair as it slowly spirals down my back.

I revitalize my curls in between weekly CWC's by pulling my hair over one shoulder and finger combing water from the sink into my hair. Then I work up a lather with my conditioner, and then finger comb it into my wet hair. That helps the curls stay defined, but leaves it soft (not crunchy like gel or mousse does.)

I wear it down on day 1, 1/2 up on day 2, up on day 3, 1/2 up on day 4 (revitalized per the above description) up on day 5, 1/2 up on day 6 (again, revitalized), 1/2 up on day 7, then deep condition with EVOO overnight, and CWC in the morning, and start it all over again. I participate in a Tae Kwon Do class on days 3, 5, and 7, so wearing it up allows me to go from work to class to work again without fussing with my hair, as well as stretch out my washes...

Again, I try to keep it healthy and happy (no combing or brushing while dry, only gentle finger combing, and enjoying it while down, leaving it alone when up, and ignoring it whenever possible. *grin*

Good luck! Rock those beautiful curls!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9224&pictureid=120367

Cocoa_Crema
December 16th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I so agree - breakage is so frustrating - and I avoid S&D's! I don't measure, but try to enjoy my hair as it slowly spirals down my back.

I revitalize my curls in between weekly CWC's by pulling my hair over one shoulder and finger combing water from the sink into my hair. Then I work up a lather with my conditioner, and then finger comb it into my wet hair. That helps the curls stay defined, but leaves it soft (not crunchy like gel or mousse does.)

I wear it down on day 1, 1/2 up on day 2, up on day 3, 1/2 up on day 4 (revitalized per the above description) up on day 5, 1/2 up on day 6 (again, revitalized), 1/2 up on day 7, then deep condition with EVOO overnight, and CWC in the morning, and start it all over again. I participate in a Tae Kwon Do class on days 3, 5, and 7, so wearing it up allows me to go from work to class to work again without fussing with my hair, as well as stretch out my washes...

Again, I try to keep it healthy and happy (no combing or brushing while dry, only gentle finger combing, and enjoying it while down, leaving it alone when up, and ignoring it whenever possible. *grin*

Good luck! Rock those beautiful curls!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9224&pictureid=120367

Very pretty hair!

Ayasha1
December 17th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I also co wash daily and have wavy curly hair(that is very thick)
But i comb my hair at night with my wide tooth comb (long prosses)then i little with the boar brissstle brush. Then i wet my hair in the shower the next mourning and work the conditioner up the braids to scalp.(requires alot of ciditioner) but it doesnt tangle this way. Put in shower cap let sit will washing the i rinse my hair. Then i let it air dry. Then i do not brush or comb it at all till the evening when i do the whole prossess again.

sycamoreboutiqu
December 17th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Wow, I can't imagine CO washing daily.

I am sitting here slowly drying after my weekly CO wash and am going to have to go to bed damp (not that it is anything new). It's just that I don't really want to braid it wet as I would like to enjoy the soft curls.waves instead of braid waves. I guess I can do the banding method.

The wash actually got stretched this time by 2 extra days and it didn't like it - but it wasn't all that bad really. Incredibly, just started to get a bit oily an itchy today - the 8th or 9th day.

I can't imagine if I went back in time and told my younger self that not only would my hair be hip length in my late 50's but that I also wouldn't use shampoo, would put a variety of oils and aloe in it then wouldn't wash it for 7 or 8 days - and it would actually look BETTER than it ever did when I was younger.

That would be a hoot.

Cocoa_Crema
December 22nd, 2011, 01:22 AM
Wow, I can't imagine CO washing daily.

I am sitting here slowly drying after my weekly CO wash and am going to have to go to bed damp (not that it is anything new). It's just that I don't really want to braid it wet as I would like to enjoy the soft curls.waves instead of braid waves. I guess I can do the banding method.

The wash actually got stretched this time by 2 extra days and it didn't like it - but it wasn't all that bad really. Incredibly, just started to get a bit oily an itchy today - the 8th or 9th day.

I can't imagine if I went back in time and told my younger self that not only would my hair be hip length in my late 50's but that I also wouldn't use shampoo, would put a variety of oils and aloe in it then wouldn't wash it for 7 or 8 days - and it would actually look BETTER than it ever did when I was younger.

That would be a hoot.

Your hair beautiful and thick Angela. I'd be so proud if my hair looked like that in my fifties. Do you wear it down often? :)

Lissandria
December 22nd, 2011, 05:00 AM
Great to meet all you other Curly Girls :) Lovely hair everyone. Long curls are a challenge! But a challenge that most definitely worth it and very satisfying.

I am also a very fine curly so alot of products aimed for curly hair are for hair much coarser and thicker than mine so I avoid them at all costs.

The things that have most helped are:
-Eliminating cones has helped my curls come out more
-I use coconut oil as a wet setting agent scrunching my hair it helps my curls stay in well at least a day or two post wash.
-Dilute CWC and CO washing methods
-SMTs weekly
-Protein in the form of henna and amla surprisingly- my fine hair lacked protein making my curls "droopy". A bit of protein now and then perks them right up.

Downsides to being a curly are sometimes you just want Straight or wavy hair (grass is always greener!). Also curls are unpredictable- sometimes my hair is extremely springy and definied with 3a curls with some 3b type curls, and other times my hair is more like a 2b/2c/3a curly mix (siggy pic).
Having to rewet, condition, ACV and oil my ends/midlengths on a non-wash day is a neccessity sometimes for my hair to look good which can be annoying.

Having said all this, I love being the girl with curls though. Wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

Colourful
December 22nd, 2011, 05:44 AM
Beautiful locks & hair!