PDA

View Full Version : hair and floor cleaning

Ramille
December 12th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Does anyone else have a problem with hair messing up the vacuum cleaner? I spend have my time getting my old hair OUT of the carpet cleaning brush. It is so long that it just coils around and around. What is the best way to get all that hair out of the carpet? :confused:

WaitingSoLong
December 12th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Oh I was so glad when we moved into our house with ALL WOOD FLOORS. lol.

Yes, it messes up the vacuum. I had a pair of fingernail trimming scissors specifically for cutting hair off the brush of my vacuum. It is just part of having long hair.

I am very meticulous about keeping my shed hairs off the floor, too. I neurotically clean my brushes and always brush in the same spot and check the ground for shed hairs and grab them up and put them in the trash. Nonetheless, I get hair in my vacuum.

I do have a method you can use if you really want to stop cleaning your vacuum roller brushes, but it will probably take more time that just cleaning the brush once a month or so.

If you vacuum your carpet with a hard floor attachment (no roller brush), and just basically scrub the carpet, it effectively wads all the hair up on the bristle strip of the hard floor attachment and I just use the vacuum hose to suck it up. Or it gets sucked up by itself.

Me and dd both have long hair an we can get quite a wad going.

julya
December 12th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I've used a sewing tool called a seam ripper to get the hair off of the beater brush. Now I have a Dyson that you can take the beater brush out of and that makes it even easier to get the hair off! :)

luxepiggy
December 13th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I've used a sewing tool called a seam ripper to get the hair off of the beater brush. Now I have a Dyson that you can take the beater brush out of and that makes it even easier to get the hair off! :)

I see julya beat me to both of the points I had planned to post (about the seam ripper & the Dyson brushbar)!

The Dyson DC24 and DC25 models are the ones with the removable brushbars (^(oo)^)v

katsrevenge
December 13th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I broom my carpets before vacuuming them.

Gets a lot of the hair.

shump76
December 13th, 2011, 02:40 AM
My hair isn't even long yet and I have this problem.

sibiryachka
December 13th, 2011, 11:59 AM
*trots off to retrieve rarely-used seam ripper from sewing box*

I took this photo

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4927&pictureid=121065

for yuks recently after giving the beater bar its first haircut in months. DBF found it on my camera and asked "Why in the name of all that's holy would you photograph that??". I just looked at him, silent and deadpan, until he went "Oooohhh, of course". I am vindicated. ;)

cmg
December 13th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Long hair being a problem while cleaning? Bah. Imagine having two or three long haired norwegian cats in addition to that!

Madora
December 13th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I'd say try and do your hairstyling, etc, in the bathroom, where you can see all the fallen hair and gather it up and toss it in the waste basket.

I hate having to unscrew the vacuum housing to get to the beater bar. The long hair seems to gravitate to both sides of the beater bar, making it imperative to remove it from its notches and cut out the tightly woven hair. I'm definitely gonna look into a seam ripper!

cmg
December 14th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I'd say try and do your hairstyling, etc, in the bathroom, where you can see all the fallen hair and gather it up and toss it in the waste basket.
The place where I do my hairstyling is clean! It's the rest of my home thats suffering from hairfall.

BTW it seems to be culminating around full moon. Is my vacuum cleaner posessed or am I a werewolf shedding hair? :poot:

Celebrian
December 14th, 2011, 02:45 PM

Gets a lot of the hair.

This is true and I do it as well (with a hard broom) but still, that 'ole broom needs a good cleaning afterwards. I use a large, strong comb to draw it through the bristles.

spidermom
December 14th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I use a seam-ripper, too. I only have to clean the beater brush about once a month, give/take. Sometimes I'm more diligent about vacuuming than other times. Right now, I'm having one of those other times.

lunamummy
December 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I find wiping the carpet with my hand while wearing rubber gloves pulls up loads of hair. It's a problem though, and mine isn't even that long!

t_ballet26
December 15th, 2011, 03:26 AM

Gets a lot of the hair.

I do this too, glad to know I am not the only one and don't feel so weird now.

Kaelee
December 15th, 2011, 10:53 AM
LOL every week when I have my 'housework day' I have the nearly uncontrollable urge to get a pixie cut.

I had to take my vaccum apart last week actually. grrrr.

moxamoll
December 15th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Yup, between my hair and my dog's we spend a lot of time cleaning the beater bar. I've been lusting after a Dyson, but couldn't justify the money. Now my old vacuum cleaner is starting to act like its end is coming and I feel kinda guilty about how excited I am!
:cheese::cheese::cheese:

Rilig
December 15th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Between my hair, my mom's hair, and the stuffing my dog tears from his plush toys, You can bearly see the bristles on our vacuum! It actually stopped the bar from spinning once.

ladylowtide
December 15th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the seam ripper idea. With my hair and my fiancee's long hair.... it gets to be a mess.

nobeltonya
December 15th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I used to always have it wrapped around the brush, but now I generally wear my hair up at home so it doesn't shed as much [hardly any hairs.. usually all over the bathroom though.].. just pick/pull at it for a few minutes. :)

Delila
December 15th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I have somewhat less trouble than I used to, but I do try to do my hair styling/detangling in one or two spots, not all over the house.

Other than that, I do actually sweep the carpet with a broom before I vacuum, draging the bristles back and forth in a zigzag kind of motion to pick up hairs.

I've also got a big size seam ripper, and use it as needed, since I can't seem to get every strand, every time.