PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here. Afraid henna will release my curl? Experiences?

CurlyCap
December 1st, 2011, 09:23 PM
I really want to try henna. It's just curiousity

I have two main concerns:
1. It will change my hair color. I have very dark hair and want it to stay dark brown, practically black. I asked about this in another thread.

2. I don't want to loosen my curl! I know a lot of type 4 kinky/curly girls use henna to loosen their curl. That scares me. I just wanted to know people's experiences.

jesis
December 1st, 2011, 09:27 PM
Using henna did loosen my curl a bit for the first while after I used it, but it went back to normal after that. As long as you wash all of the residue out I think you will be fine.

If you don't want your hair to change color I wouldn't particularly recommend henna. It will probably add red to your hair, but I'm not entirely sure!

HTH!

owlathena
December 1st, 2011, 09:31 PM
Henna demolished my waves. I used to have deep waves and a couple ringlets, now I have no wave or barely a slight wave (but bunning gives me pretty deep waves). Thats just my experience though, others didnt loose their curls at all. It might not be worth the risk though, if you really dont want any loosening.

battles
December 1st, 2011, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure, but maybe cassia would be a better idea for you? :)

Here's the cassia thread, if you're interested.

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406

irishone
December 1st, 2011, 09:51 PM
I have dark brown 3B curls. Henna did release my curls for about a week and then I got most of them back. I then did an Amla treatment and not only are duels back to normal, but my hair it SO soft and no tangles for the first time in my life. Next time I Henna I will add some Amla in the mix.
I used Twilight Henna, and while you can't see the red indoors, I have a very red halo when I am outside. I just tried a Henna/Indigo mix on some test strands and there is no red at all.
Hope this helps.

Anje
December 1st, 2011, 09:52 PM
If you don't want to change your color or your curl pattern, there's not much reason to try henna. Stick to more temporary conditioning herbal treatments. I don't know if cassia does anything to curl patterns, but the slight yellow color it gives shouldn't show up on your hair at all.

coffinhert
December 1st, 2011, 10:51 PM
Yeah, if you don't want your hair color changed, DO NOT henna. It is permanent as permanent can be. It will not fade over time.

I had wavy/wurly hair and it's become just wavy since I started hennaing.

Avital88
December 1st, 2011, 11:06 PM
im normally a 3a, henna really changed my pattern, im more of a 2b now..but in summer the curls come back but not as tight as they used to be..

xgeckox
December 2nd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Your hair probably wouldnt change colour indoors but in the sunlight it may shine red.

I've also found that my hair was far straighter (and softer) with henna, so may not be worth the risk.. :)

Amber_Maiden
December 2nd, 2011, 07:30 AM
Hanna did make my waves less wavy- almost as if they don't exist sometimes now :(

princessp
December 2nd, 2011, 08:10 AM
I've lost some curl, but I think it has more to do with my length than the henna (truthfully, I'm happy to lose it). Based on what you've said though it doesn't sound like henna is for you. Good luck.

cmg
December 3rd, 2011, 09:20 AM
1. You might not get an actual color change, but halos and reflexions, especially outdoors.

2. For a 3a/3b its pretty safe. Use some Amla, this will make it easier to keep your normal curl pattern. You might experience some effects after a strong application, but this will fade like someone says. You might find some softening curl patterns after perhaps a year of regular usage. Stronger hennas can deposit more in the hair and thus thickening each hair strand giving it a different texture. This can also be counteracted with Amla or weaker treatments. Or perhaps clarifying. I suspect adding oils may add to the curl softening effect, not sure there. I have found that it is "safer" in that respect to deep condition before the treatment or adding oils afterwards instead, to keep the curls intact.

The henna treatment works alittle like a perm. Having it stay on too long with very acidic mixes can also relax it a tiny bit (i e forming it in the shape it has during treatments). This effect is not very pronounced.

With normal or coarse hair - no problems. Fine hair - all of the above might apply.

ilovelonghair
December 3rd, 2011, 10:12 AM
My waves have been badly affected, not sure if it is henna, because for the first years henna didn't do that.

princesitamaria
December 3rd, 2011, 02:19 PM
I really want to try henna. It's just curiousity

I have two main concerns:
1. It will change my hair color. I have very dark hair and want it to stay dark brown, practically black. I asked about this in another thread.

2. I don't want to loosen my curl! I know a lot of type 4 kinky/curly girls use henna to loosen their curl. That scares me. I just wanted to know people's experiences.

Henna def made my hair less curlier in a good way I think cause before the curls would get squashed at night, and now I can brush it and its just wavier, i think it just loosens them a bit not totally

irishone
December 3rd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Are you planning on doing multiple applications? If you just do it a couple times, and then do roots only, there is less of a chance oc curl loss remaining perminant. I only plan on doing a full head application a couple times, and then roots only afterwards, with Amla. By the way, i tried a new styling product called Curls Serum. You can get it in the grocery store. It goes on really sticky, like a regular serum, but after my hair dried my curls were curlier than then have ever been ever, and my hair was softer than it's ever been too. I couldn't believe it.

Cocoa_Crema
December 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM
It did change my curl pattern. If you henna a couple of times not so much, but I think doing it over and over causes the henna proteins to adhere more to the hair. I was more of a 3b, but now I am more like a 3a.

ohhiitssteph
December 4th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I'm going to henna my 2C/3Aish hair at some point in the next week or two, so I'll get back to you and let you know if it does anything to my hair. :) I'm thinking doing one full-head application and then sticking to roots only after that (since I really don't want my hair to get any darker, thicker, looser, etc), so hopefully that will help with curl loss-prevention. But my rambling aside, I'll see how my hair reacts and report back!

McFearless
December 5th, 2011, 04:39 PM
You won't see much change in your colour. In bright sunlight you will see a golden red glow.
I can't say if your curls will loosen or not. Its very individual. My curls are just as curly as ever. I think it takes multiple applications to see a difference.

Pierre
December 5th, 2011, 05:18 PM
My hair is, as far as I remember, just as curly as before I started hennaing. I think that's for two reasons: I put amla in my henna mix, and I have my hair braided when hennaing (and most of the time).