PDA

View Full Version : The Down Side (literally) of COing

starsaphire
March 14th, 2008, 02:58 PM
(I intended to post this here the day it happened; which also happened to be the day I discovered the LHC boards were down.)

First, let me preface this by saying: I am fine. Except for a little bruise over my temple, which lasted a couple weeks, and some random aches and pains, I am just fine. But...

...LHCers, if you're going to CO, please invest in a non-slip bath mat of some sort. :sick:

Yes, I fell in the shower. Actually, technically I fell out of the shower. My foot slipped on conditioner residue, then I tried to catch myself with the other foot and slipped on that one too, overbalanced and tumbled over the edge of the tub and onto the floor, pulling down the shower curtain (rod and all) on top of me. Thank goodness DBF was home! He came rushing into the bathroom and the first thing he said to me was, "Are you OK?"

So here I am laying on the floor, naked but for a lot of soap, tangled up in a shower curtain and wedged between the loo and the towel rack. Naturally I responded, "DO I LOOK OKAY?" Poor DBF.

He picked me up and rinsed me off and drove me to school and bought a new shower curtain, bless his heart. And yes, I'm okay.

But the moral of the story is: Please be careful when you CO. Clean your tub regularly, and if your tub has an older-style smooth finish, invest in a non-skid surface for the tub. That stuff is slippery! :D

- starsaphire

Minx
March 14th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Oh dear, poor you. Poor BF!!

I nearly slipped a couple of times in our old shower over the bath when I was washing my hair.

Glad to hear you are okay :)

2BThinAgain
March 14th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Glad you're okay and thankd for the reminder to keep our shower and tub clean as COing can be quite slippery !!!!

Deb

eadwine
March 14th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Oi!! I am very glad you are ok indeed!

Also.. bath mats.. make sure they are NOT old. I once slipped, mat and all, and landed with my buttocks on the faucet thank goodness!

Mirmy
March 14th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Oh no! I can see how easily this could happen. Thanks for warning us:)

FrannyG
March 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Yes, at times it can be slippery. I'm so sorry that this happened, but thank you for passing on this reminder.

I'm just glad that you're okay. :flower:

ChloeDharma
March 14th, 2008, 03:44 PM
You know, with the oils and conditioner my bath can be like a death trap it's so slippery. I've lost count of the times i've skidded around because i forget and move sharply.

I'm glad you're ok.....and good thinking to warn people.

addikted
March 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Goodness, I am glad you are alright!

Silver & Gold
March 14th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Ok, I know you could have been seriously hurt and I'm glad that you've live to tell the tale. But I laughed out loud when I read . . .

So here I am laying on the floor, naked but for a lot of soap, tangled up in a shower curtain and wedged between the loo and the towel rack. Naturally I responded, "DO I LOOK OKAY?" Poor DBF.

You have an amusing way of putting things.

Delila
March 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Falling in the tub is so scary!

I'm glad you're basically okay. Whew.

NightingaleLHC
March 14th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Oh gosh! That happened to me too, but not as bad. I slipped but didn't fall out of the shower. I fell in the shower right on my bum and it hurt a lot! Very important to have mats, yes yes.

cuddledumplin
March 14th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I'm SO glad you're okay. Falling in the shower is really scary and dangerous. Thanks for the reminder.

Islandgrrl
March 14th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Oh, you poor thing!!! I'm very glad to hear that you're okay.

wintersun99
March 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM

yogachic
March 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I'm glad you didn't get hurt. I made the mistake once of rinsing out a head full of olive oil while in the shower, I slipped but did not fall.

JennQ
March 14th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Glad you're okay!
My bathtub floor is textured, so this hasn't been a problem for me (I've been CO for about ten months). Coincidentally enough, immediately after I read this I headed off to try my first 'poo bar, and after using it the floor was so slick, even with the texturing. Conditioner has never done that! Strange... But I'm glad I saw this first, perhaps it made me a little more cautious.
Thanks for the heads up.

jojo
March 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM
oh how awful, i remember when i was pregnant putting a bottle, yes a bottle of baby oil in the bath water to prevent stretch marks and I went flying, not recommended! thanks for the warning, it easily happens, glad your ok it could have ended up a lot worse.

BVU
December 11th, 2022, 03:56 PM
I take olive oil baths and this happens all the time, I should invest in a non-slip mat, nothing like trying to get out of the tub and screaming when the floor is taken from under you.

Kelp
December 11th, 2022, 06:28 PM
Ouch, also very glad you're okay!

As a fellow CO washer I'm curious though, does your conditioner have silicones in it? I've only ever had near slips after oil baths, and my current conditioner doesn't have silicones and it hasn't caused the shower to get slippery. Just wondering if there's a higher risk with that ingredient as its job is to make our hair slick :confused:

lapis_lazuli
December 11th, 2022, 06:45 PM
I've never been too worried about falling in the shower, but now that I do scalp-only washes where my braid is clipped up onto the curtain rod...I'm moving veryyy carefully these days.

(luckily the rod is only suctioned to the wall, so it would go down with me, but still something I'd like to avoid!)

Glitch
December 12th, 2022, 12:49 AM
Ouch, also very glad you're okay!

As a fellow CO washer I'm curious though, does your conditioner have silicones in it? I've only ever had near slips after oil baths, and my current conditioner doesn't have silicones and it hasn't caused the shower to get slippery. Just wondering if there's a higher risk with that ingredient as its job is to make our hair slick :confused:

OP actually fell almost 15 years ago :surprise: And here we are, hahah internet time will never not take me aback from time to time!

Anyways, all very true, almost fell myself without a grippy mat!

vampyyri
December 12th, 2022, 04:13 AM
This reminded me to finally put in an order for a bath mat, DH has almost slipped in the tub if he showers after me :bigeyes:

paulownia
December 12th, 2022, 06:23 AM
I don't cowash, I use shampoo but this can happen no matter what one washes the hair with;)
I always considered washing the hair while showering a mess. Its just hair, shampoo and conditioner all over the body. A mess :rolleyes:
That's why i always wash my hair bending over the bathtub. Both feet on steady and dry ground :agree:

Shug
December 12th, 2022, 09:03 AM
Crazy this thread pops up after I messed myself up bad in the shower. I have the nastiest bruise of all bruises on my leg.

https://i.ibb.co/1907hGm/9-C52-F163-2-B21-4-DEA-AFA5-13-ABA8100677.jpg (https://ibb.co/tbHQkpJ)

BVU
December 12th, 2022, 10:24 AM
Crazy this thread pops up after I messed myself up bad in the shower. I have the nastiest bruise of all bruises on my leg.

https://i.ibb.co/1907hGm/9-C52-F163-2-B21-4-DEA-AFA5-13-ABA8100677.jpg (https://ibb.co/tbHQkpJ)

Oh, YIKES! is that another one near the ankle or am I blind? Wishing a smooth and painless recovery from the attack of the shower.

Shug
December 12th, 2022, 01:05 PM
Oh, YIKES! is that another one near the ankle or am I blind? Wishing a smooth and painless recovery from the attack of the shower.

LMFAO yes there is another one near the ankle unfortunately. I banged myself up good.

Kelp
December 12th, 2022, 01:57 PM
OP actually fell almost 15 years ago :surprise: And here we are, hahah internet time will never not take me aback from time to time!

Anyways, all very true, almost fell myself without a grippy mat!

Ha! Thanks for pointing that out. I saw recent activity in "What's New" and didn't check the timestamp before asking about fifteen-year-old conditioner :lol:

Glitch
December 12th, 2022, 02:13 PM
Ha! Thanks for pointing that out. I saw recent activity in "What's New" and didn't check the timestamp before asking about fifteen-year-old conditioner :lol:

Hahah! Honestly I do these things all the time myself - love it! :laugh:

Oh no, I hope you heal up fast! I'm personally a pretty clumsy person and always have some annoying bruise going on somewhere :violin:

BlushingRose
December 27th, 2022, 04:58 PM
Oh gosh, I'm so glad you're okay! Good on your bf for trying to take care of you.

If it makes you feel any better, I have also done this. I love emollient-rich conditioners and hair masks, and I have slipped in the shower too, a few times over the years. Very scary and disorienting. I try and be careful about rinsing my tub, but sometimes when I'm rushing to get out, I get complacent.

WednesdayAddams
December 27th, 2022, 05:14 PM
Oh nooooo! Oh, that's scary!

I have done that in the shower with conditioner.

What I generally do now is wash my hair separately (in the sink).

Kat
December 27th, 2022, 07:47 PM
Oh no, I hope you heal up fast! I'm personally a pretty clumsy person and always have some annoying bruise going on somewhere :violin:

So do I. I've literally had this conversation: "Oh, that bruise? That's from soccer. This one is from my bike. This one is from climbing." Or "Oh, that bruise? Haven't a clue. And geez, where did that one come from?" And have sweated through a physical because my legs were so bruised up I was afraid my doctor might give me "battered woman" brochures (but no. I guess maybe she's seen enough of me to not be fazed by it?). And have tried to go at my legs with concealer and foundation because I'm about to be in some situation where I have to wear a skirt and bruises don't exactly "go" with "trying to look nice."

Heaven help me if I ever fall out of the shower. I will probably end up falling in the litter box (which is, like, literally "adding insult to injury"). (I did do it once, sort of. I've always had small bathrooms, and one day I was reaching to the sink from the shower... lost my balance, fell forward and landed with my (wet) hands in the litterbox. I admit I was so grossed out I cried (I think it happened on top of what had been a long day).