PDA

View Full Version : Henna gloss separated :(

Neya
November 21st, 2011, 09:04 AM
I think I should not have added vo5 vanilla & mint to my gloss.
Or maybe, because I used less henna (about 20g, last app I used 50)
The gloss was a ok before applying but once I did it began separating into a congealed mess. Now I have henna water drippies.
:(
Not sure I will leave this on for 3-4 hours as originally intended.

Neya
November 21st, 2011, 10:35 AM
Couldn't take it. Too much dripping.
So I got some color from the gloss, but not much.

KatyS
November 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM
Sad to hear :( Maybe next time add the conditioner in a little at a time? :)

Evie
November 21st, 2011, 01:40 PM
I've found that happens to me sometimes. It seems to very much depend on the condish you use. I have found that adding some honey/olive oil etc helps bring things back together, as does mixing a little water into it if it seperates? Sadly with henna these things happen, sorry to hear it went a bit off for you

Neya
November 21st, 2011, 01:53 PM
It's ok. I'm still learning. Hopefully next time is better!
I see now why cassia would be a better option to bulk up a gloss vs condish.
Wish I had purchased some now.

sibylla
November 21st, 2011, 02:09 PM
Mix in yogurt.Then it wonīt drip.If you have a dripping mess on your head use lots of cling wrap and wrap an old towel around your hair.If itīs a gloss, hlf an hour is ok.Hope this helps!

cmg
November 21st, 2011, 05:24 PM
Mix in yogurt.Then it wonīt drip.If you have a dripping mess on your head use lots of cling wrap and wrap an old towel around your hair.If itīs a gloss, hlf an hour is ok.Hope this helps!
Really?! I will definitively try this next time. My hair ALWAYS drips. Putting in ANYTHING in my hair means the hair sucks it up and the separating water drips out. Or should I say pours :mad: Arrrgh

Kristin
November 23rd, 2011, 10:38 AM
I only have this problem when I use a light (like VO5) conditioner for my gloss. If I stick to heavier ones, it's usually fine. Obviously, it drips a little once it gets nice and warm on my head, but nothing unbearable.

tigereye
November 24th, 2011, 04:05 AM
That happened to me a couple of times, once before I even got it into my hair. One time I used water that was hotter than usual, and the conditioner separated. The other time, the conditioner just separated anyway, but it was a very light conditioner.
I usually do fine with a really thick conditioner, and wrap toilet roll around the edge of the plastic wrap on my head to catch drips, followed by and old towel.

Neya
November 28th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Ok doing ny 3rd gloss. Same as before, but only used vo5 repair & protect which is rather thick. No separation. Yay.

But an hour after I applied my city water pipes are running brown. Ew. Ew.
Sigh. I know it's probably iron, but I'm totally grossed out.

coffinhert
November 29th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I just made my first henna/conditioner gloss and the Suave conditioner congealed. It just looks like when I condition henna out. I hope it still stains.

Neya
November 30th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I just made my first henna/conditioner gloss and the Suave conditioner congealed. It just looks like when I condition henna out. I hope it still stains.

The gloss that congealed on me stained for sure even though it was only on an hour or so. It doesn't seem to mess with the dye, just Convience.

Rowan1980
December 3rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
I definitely think that the conditioner makes a huge difference in the consistency of the gloss. I've tried VO5 a few times, and the stuff fell apart. I tried Pure Soap Co's Rosemary Conditioner, which is quite a bit thicker. The difference was night and day! The gloss held together very, very well. Heck, it's on my head right now.

cmg
December 3rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
The pH-stabilizers in the conditioners can only take so much. I suppose the effectiveness of the stabilizers also differ depending on the product brands. Do you use lemon juice or something other acidic for your glosses to make up the henna paste?

I never had any curdling with the glosses. Either I've been lucky or it is due to the fact that I use the powder as is. I usually dont mix it or make a paste, before adding it to the conditioner.

Neya
December 3rd, 2011, 12:55 PM
I used chamomiletea made from deionized water. So it wouldve been fairly acidic even without lemon juice.
It held up fine with vo5 repair&protect (thick creamy) and very poorly with vo5 calrifying green tea (thin)

cmg
December 3rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
I tried to google the ingredients list of these two but couldnt find them. Would be interesting to compare the pH-stabilizers in them with other products.

kdaniels8811
December 4th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Get a cloth headband (I found them at the drug store) and put it on your hairline after applying henna. It gets soaked but prevents drips running down your face. My glosses always drip, too, but the results are well worth it.