PDA

View Full Version : Rather New At This...Have a Few Questions

AlabasterAlice
November 19th, 2011, 08:20 AM
So I've been reading around, and while I have no interest in putting henna on my hair (just don't really want the red), I have found some other things that interest me!

Cassia sounds like something I would want to do, but is it really going to cost me a good $25 for the 500g I need?

Then there's Amla. I really want to try this stuff. But do I use it dry, do I use an oil, or what? I can tell that cassia is a powder, but what about amla?

Also, DH wants to start hennaing his hair. He loves having red hair, and we're both tired of attacking his hair with dye. He naturally has brown hair, maybe leaning more towards a darkish brown, but he's bleached it and dyed it and enjoys it most when it's red. So I told him if he wanted to we could try henna. Any advice on where to get some? (Preferably some that's cheap, and not a bunch since he has like...chin length hair)

Annibelle
November 19th, 2011, 09:05 PM
The only advice I can give is about cassia, which I don't really know all that much about.

You probably don't need that much. The companies suggest that you use way more than necessary. Your hair IS iii, so you'd need more than I do, but my hair is also 30" and I used only 60g and had a nice, sloppy amount-- maybe even more than necessary. :)

Sissilonghair
November 20th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Hi, if you want to' save money you can use Senna...I buy mine from herbco.com from only$ 3.00 a pound, it works beautiful on the hair.
As for amla and other spices i get them from spicesofindia really cheap ....
As for the other questions my advice is to' use " search " ...digit the word amla and you can find all kind of different threads....
Give a look at the henna page ( henna for hair). They also have a forum full of info that can help you....

Pierre
November 20th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I buy amla as a powder and mix it with henna. I haven't tried cassia.

Be careful if you're buying cassia, especially from a spice store. The one you want is the genus Cassia, which is right next to the genus Senna in the bean family. The species cassia is in Cinnamomum and is no relation to the genus Cassia. Also I don't think the part of the senna used as a laxative is the same part of the plant as the cassia used on hair.