PDA

View Full Version : need ideas to get shiny hair

ladonna
November 14th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I've henndigo 2x and done a henna gloss, but I still do not have shiny hair. And it has not been shiny since I stopped using cones, except when I was using oil shampoo. Any advice? Or do some people just not have shiny hair?
:(

Amber_Maiden
November 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Try ACV? It made my hair shiny!

Nae
November 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Also a cool/cold rinse at the end of the shower can do wonders. (If you can stand it lol.)

rock007junkie
November 14th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Chamomile tea rinse leaves my hair really shiny

ladonna
November 14th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I do all suggestions except for the tea rinse.:(

Nae
November 14th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Maybe cones are the way to go for you. Is there a reason you want to be off of them?

emelnd
November 14th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Try the tea rinse, it makes my hair nice. I haven't tried chamomile, but black or hibiscus was nice.

Yozhik
November 14th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Piggy, whose hair is some of the most glare-blindingly shiniest :cool: I've ever seen, swears by amodimethicone, I think. Which, if I remember correctly, does not build up as much as other cones and is fairly light.

Hope that helps!

katsrevenge
November 14th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I sometimes put a few drops of lemon juice from a plastic lemon in a half liter of water for a rinse sometimes. I get REALLY shiny hair!

sibylla
November 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Ice cold water as a final rinse is a must for me.It closes the follicles and makes the hair sleeker.I oil my hair as often as I can.If my hair is moist from oiling that shine will show through.

Avital88
November 14th, 2011, 04:18 PM
try cones once and see if you get shine then.. it doesnt hurt

ladonna
November 14th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I might try cones, it makes my hair feel fake and tangly and makes my scalp itchy. Can I use just a coney conditioner and then use a clarifying cond. every couple weeks.

allycat
November 14th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I've just started using argan oil and I think it's making my hair shinier. It's a great light oil and it absorbs easily and isn't greasy.

dragonette@1
November 14th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Try scrunching a little bit of pure Aloe Vera gel through your clean, conditioned hair. It makes my hair smooth and shiny and soft.

Safira
November 15th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Coconut and avocado oils makes my hair shine. And henna glosses =)

If your hair loved cones, why won´t you use them. Cones are not bad to some people.

Melisande
November 15th, 2011, 03:17 AM
When I want to have very shiny hair, I mix conditioner with honey and citric acid, dilute the mixture in water, and use it after i wash my hair. A really big pitcher full that I let run slowly over and through my hair. I let it sit a bit and rinse it out quickly with lukewarm to cool water. If it is highly diluted and I didn't let it touch my scalp, I don't rinse it out at all.

For me, the combination of water, conditioner, citric acid and honey is the ideal shine-inducing mixture. I always keep citric acid and honey in my bathroom.

MJheals
November 15th, 2011, 08:51 AM
When I want to have very shiny hair, I mix conditioner with honey and citric acid, dilute the mixture in water, and use it after i wash my hair. A really big pitcher full that I let run slowly over and through my hair. I let it sit a bit and rinse it out quickly with lukewarm to cool water. If it is highly diluted and I didn't let it touch my scalp, I don't rinse it out at all.

For me, the combination of water, conditioner, citric acid and honey is the ideal shine-inducing mixture. I always keep citric acid and honey in my bathroom.

:hifive: I do this as well! I call it 'My Shiny Slop'. ;)
I don't dilute it very often, my favorite way to use it is as a final rinse out conditioner.
A basic recipe:
As much conditioner as you need to coat your hair from scalp to ends well
1/2 TBSP (or more if wanted) honey
Up to 1/8 TSP citric acid

On the citric acid, it's pretty strong, and way too much can damage hair. If you're worried, start with just a healthy pinch of citric acid in the mix. Up the dosage over a few uses if it doesn't work well enough.

To use, just distribute through your hair like regular conditioner, making sure to get the ends soaked. Massage or comb/brush through and let sit for a few minutes. And rinse with cool or cold water.

With my incredibly hard well water, even ACV rinses weren't enough, but this is a life/shine saver for me!
HTH :D

ladonna
November 15th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I have shiny hair from cones... my ends are dry looking, can oil be used with cones?

Annalouise
November 15th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I'm not sure, but I know that having dry hair is not good. I would do some moisture treatments, and also use a leave in of some kind. I have an aveda leave in that is to promote shine and it has cones in it.

But I think the important point is having moisturized hair and not letting it get dehydrated.

I think things that lift the cuticle are bad for the hair if they are not followed by something to make the cuticle lie down, because that is why the hair isn't shiny is because the cuticle is not lying down flat.

So you should be washing it properly followed by a conditioner. And possibly a deep condition as well. And then rinse with cold water. And don't mess with it until it has dried.:)

ladonna
November 15th, 2011, 09:34 AM
where do you buy citric acid?

MJheals
November 15th, 2011, 09:40 AM

Most grocery stores carry it in the canning supply section, with the fruit pectin and whatnot.

Kristin
November 15th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Beer rinses make miner shinier. And coconut, avocado, or olive oils.

|Xei
November 16th, 2011, 08:00 AM
You might also want to check out the pharmacy section, in addition to what MJheals suggested :)

Madora
November 16th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Brushing with a pure boar bristle brush works for me!

Biedronka
November 16th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Whether your hair is shiny or not is also an indicator of its health sometimes...do you treat it well?I would suggest doing a nice oiling on the length overnight,and then washing it the next day and using a deep moisturising treatment...it always works for me and leaves my hair shiny and soft

jesis
November 16th, 2011, 08:39 AM
BBB also works for me. People have also had success with beer rinses.

|Xei
November 16th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Phyto 9 (a leave-in cream) gives me great shine :)

ktani
November 17th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I might try cones, it makes my hair feel fake and tangly and makes my scalp itchy. Can I use just a coney conditioner and then use a clarifying cond. every couple weeks.

Conditioners do not clarify. The lack of shine may simply be because of build-up dulling your hair.

Mischamiu
November 17th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Finishing with a cold rinse

Anainwonderland
November 17th, 2011, 06:16 PM
;) to make my hair shiny i use coconut oil or merocian oil. (Sp?)

You can also use some olive oil.

UltraBella
November 17th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I find that for many people, shine is texture related. I do not have naturally shiny hair - but my hair is healthy. It is also coarse, frizzy and wavy. I would love for it to be shinier and I am considering trying cassia.

islandboo
November 17th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Catnip makes my hair very shiny. Doing a cold water final rinse helps, too. As far as cones, try diluting a small amount of a coney conditioner with a lot of water and use it as a rinse (and then rinse it out). Sometimes that gives me coney shine without being too drying.

kittymallow
November 17th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Try a shampoo against buildup and take a smt treatment.. sounds really like it lacks moisture.. my hair is really soft and super shiny after a indigo gloss i made today by one tbs indigo, pinch of salt, conefree deep treatment and some grapeseed oil. Washed my hair really good first, towel dried, applied gloss and covered with plastic and towel.. watched benjamin button (2,5 hours?) Rinsed, conditioned and a vinegar rinse. Dont think i have ever had this shiny hair:)

maria_tasha
November 18th, 2011, 06:58 AM
being a brunette and a 1a my hair is shinny almost all the time but it used to be dull when it was chemically colored and also when I use foam or hairspray. What boosts my shine are: coffee rinses or coffee masks (make 1-2 cups of coffee, soak your hair in it, cover and keep it for 30 min to one hour), oil masks (I swear by a mix of castor oil, rosemary, lavender and olive oil), yogurt and honey mask.

Modarunner
November 18th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I find that for many people, shine is texture related. I do not have naturally shiny hair - but my hair is healthy. It is also coarse, frizzy and wavy. I would love for it to be shinier and I am considering trying cassia.

I totally agree with that. My hair is naturally wavy, but unfortunately my waves don't keep their shape very well and it creates frizz and therefore I don't have as much shine. When my hair is straighter, I have more shine, since straight hair has more surface area to reflect light. Also, I have blondish, brown hair which doesn't reflect as much light as darker hair does, so again I have less shine. I've come to accept it and even if I don't have shine my hair is still healthy and pretty.

TheBluffs
November 21st, 2011, 07:40 PM
Once every three weeks, I do a clarifying wash (Just shampoo), and it seems that my ends perk right back up!

coffinhert
November 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM
One of the best things for shine for me is brushing oils through my wet hair with a boar bristle brush. This distributes the oil evenly on every hair, then as the hair dries, the oil traps the moisture inside so the hairs are much happier.

jaine
November 25th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I have to style my hair in a way that puts all hairs on the same wavelength, then it's shiny. Damp-bunning gets the front smooth and shiny, then after it's fully dry I use Caruso rollers to get the rest of it smooth and shiny.

If I just let it do its own thing then it becomes a fluffy cloud of curly/wavy hair reflecting light in all different directions so the overall effect looks matte.

ladonna
November 25th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I used clarifying shampoo a few times and it's shiny again... I'm a newb LOL.

PixxieStix
November 25th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Coconut milk mixed with avocado worked great for my hair, as well as a light coconut oil oiling after my hair has dried.

PaganPriestess
November 25th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I have shiny hair from cones... my ends are dry looking, can oil be used with cones?

I use olive oil on my ends the night before I wash with my normal Pantene which has cones in it. Makes my hair soft & shiny, and I have noticed less damage at the ends.

arantxarivas
November 25th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Avocado is really goood! That would make your hair looks soooo shiny!

citytreats
December 30th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Your hair is an important part of your appearance. If your hair does not look good, your entire appearance can be ruined. Rinsing with cold water will close & smoothen the cuticle making it look shiny. Vitamin E is essential for your hair. Include brown rice, nuts, wheat germ and leafy green vegetables in your diet.

cmg
December 30th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Mustard is said to make the hair shiny. Anyone here tried that? I gues it is the curcuma powder in it. It adds shine to egg-shampoos at least. I tried a spoonful per wash. I have very dry lengths (curly) so there still was a need for a leave in afterwards. It felt nice though.

Racquel831
December 30th, 2011, 07:46 PM
the cool rinse at the end of ur shower works. also, a quarter sized( i have thick, curly, bsl hair) amount of grapeseed oil worked into my hair after blotting with a microfiber towel and applying a leave-in. grapeseed is a good sealant and it doesn't leave a greasy feel(which i hate) because it's a light weight oil. It also imparts a nice shine.

battles
December 30th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I do deep treatments with a castor and olive oil mix. After that, my hair is really soft and very shiny. I also use camellia oil after my hair has dried and brush that through sometimes. Camellia is the only oil one that doesn't make my hair look greasy when dry.

luxepiggy
December 30th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Piggy, whose hair is some of the most glare-blindingly shiniest :cool: I've ever seen, swears by amodimethicone, I think. Which, if I remember correctly, does not build up as much as other cones and is fairly light.

Hope that helps!

^What she said, along with a dash of phenyl trimethicone :cool:

Thanks Yozhik! (^(oo)~)

ademtce
December 30th, 2011, 09:43 PM
the secret to shiny is to use the absolute least amount of product possible. which means a good shampoo that cleans but doesn't leave any smoothing ingredients behind. if you're hair is in good shape it will shine very bright. if tangles are a concern a light spray detangler can be used, while still maintaining shine.

TheMechaGinger
December 30th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I quit cones for about a year maybe a little longer and my hair was dull and never soft. As soon as I went back to them my hair immediately started behaving better. Some people just do better with them

SoulOfTheSea
December 30th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I recommend clarifying and then doing a moisture treatment. It works for me every time I feel like my hair is looking dull and nothing else works. That means I have build-up that needs to be clarified away!

Calaelen
December 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Has anyone suggested NightBlooming's Panacea available on etsy yet?? I just got the sample size of Winter Blend, and it adds shine like crazy, but also absorbs like nothing I've ever tried. Leaving my hair as near to perfect as it's ever been. I've only tried the winter blend, my hair hates hone,y so I stay away from the one that has it, and haven't tried the vegan blend either.

CurlyCap
December 31st, 2011, 12:02 AM
I have never had shiny hair and now my hair has a little bit of gleam. The things that I think are helping:

1. More ACV in my rinses than I expected. I co-wash daily and always end with an ACV rinse. About 1/4 cup in a 1.5L bottle, diluted with cool water.

2. There are no "dry" days. If my hair is not oiled, than it's a good day for a tea rinse to seal it (catnip). If it's a back day to brew catnip, then it's a good day to brew rooibos. Etc. Basically, I rotate the kinds of treatment that my hair gets so that it's constantly being either moisturized or sealed.

3. Time. It took ACV rinses almost a month to start showing their effect. Rooibos took about 2 weeks. None of the above changes had a miraculous overnight effect.

4. I never did get rid of cones. I used them before (in much higher amounts). Now they are just in my Suave hypoallergenic (almost) conditioner. It's very light in cones, but just enough to give the strands some slip.

HTH

starrydawn
December 31st, 2011, 12:06 AM
ACV seems to help give my hair shine and I use Special FX Silk Drops when I want some immediate shine.

Loviatar
January 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM
Glad the clarifying worked out for you, ladonna.

One of the things I wanted to say about Luxepiggy's hair is similar to what ULtrabella mentioned about hair texture. Piggy is super lucky with her hair genes in that she has 1a, stick straight hair, and it's very dark indeed. I always find straight hair shines more than wavy/curly and dark hair appears to shine more than blonde or red. Piggy's, if it's not 'true black' (I'm not sure as my computer sometimes is 'off' when it comes to colours) then it's very close to true black, which would be shiny as all heck. :)

My hair only shines properly when I've got dark hair or hennaed hair. When I was white blonde (bleached) or when I was using wacky colours, it didn't shine at all.

Products I use when I want to turn up the shine: beer rinses (stout is good), my BBB, any oils, or long treatments with honey mixed into my conditioner.

When my hair is long, cold water rinses add to my shine. They don't seem to do much for the pixie though.

Diamond.Eyes
January 1st, 2012, 09:38 PM
My hair is shiny from all of the moisture treatments I leave on my hair for long periods of time. Also, like many other have said, ACV rinses help give my hair amazing shine. :)

Amber_Maiden
January 2nd, 2012, 10:06 AM
ACV. Should work.

getoffmyskittle
January 2nd, 2012, 10:32 AM
My hair is not that shiny either unless I use flash. I think it's partly the texture and partly the waves -- it just doesn't fall in a way that reflects light uniformly, which is what causes "shine."

beachgirlla
January 2nd, 2012, 11:03 AM
^What she said, along with a dash of phenyl trimethicone :cool:

Thanks Yozhik! (^(oo)~)

Where do you get these from, the phenyl trimethicone and the other :)

BranwenWolf
January 2nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
I oil my hair before I shower and don't use shampoo on the length, then I use cones in conditioner. Say what you will about evil cones; I've never had a problem. Good shine and they keep my hair from tangling.

MagicalMystery
January 2nd, 2012, 06:47 PM
Avocado oil works wonders on my hair for both shine and manageability.

gogirlanime
January 2nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
For the Future
Take fish oil or another essential fatty acid these help grow new hair really shiny

For now
Have you tried?
-Beer rinses
-Black tea rinses
-A deep shampoo/clarifying?
-Not using conditioner when wearing it down / showing it off

What I do
-Black tea rinse everyday
-Wash in cold water
-I take biotin, MSM, vitamin c, flaxseed oil, inositol, collage, and hyularonic acid for hair
-Oil up my hair every night and wash it in the morning
-I don't condition my hair on days I am going to "show it off" because it seems to be shinier when conditioner isn't masking or weighing it down.

lanyzoldcipoben
January 4th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Bananas are great for your hair and scalp. They improve manageability and shine while moisturizing your skin and helping to prevent and control dandruff. However, most off-the-shelf banana hair products are available only at high end salons or as expensive treatments in spas. You can make your own banana hair conditioner for less than 5 dollars and in under 10 minutes in your own kitchen. In this article, we will discuss how to make hair conditioner with bananas.

Read more: How to Make Hair Conditioner With Bananas | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_2320347_make-hair-conditioner-bananas.html#ixzz1iTZacnZ3) http://www.ehow.com/how_2320347_make-hair-conditioner-bananas.html#ixzz1iTZacnZ3

MagicalMystery
January 4th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Definitely rinsing with cold water after using conditioner. Coconut, avocado, or argan oil make my hair ultra shiny too.

lanyzoldcipoben
January 4th, 2012, 04:15 AM
coconut oil great idea

UP Lisa
January 4th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Since your hair is curly, it will never be as shiny as straight hair due to the way the light hits it.

ladonna
January 4th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Bananas and honey, yum going to try that soon.

constructamane
January 4th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Hi........I just started at LHC, but I have tried a new line of hair shampoo, condish and deep condish. It is called Beautiful Lengths by Pantene. There a 3 categories.......for frizzies, reduce split ends, and the last is FOR SHINE. I use this one, and their is a noticeable difference in how my hair shines.

Jezerellica
January 6th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Also a cool/cold rinse at the end of the shower can do wonders. (If you can stand it lol.)
This does it for me! Just a quick rinse at the end. It's not that bad! Promise! :cool:

emelnd
January 6th, 2012, 05:55 PM
For the cold water rinse at the end, I used to use the faucet down below in my tub. I don't want to rinse my entire body with cold water... We moved to a place with only the shower cap now though so that doesn't work.

I like those removable shower caps you can take in your hand best, though I suppose I can fill a bowl with cold water and use that to rinse too.