PDA

View Full Version : Henna Packaging

Cecalv
November 9th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Hi, I just recived my first package with henna from Hennaboy and I was just wondering about the packaging. The powder is in clear plastic bags with no labeling whatsoever so I was just wondering if this is normal? They are completly sealed shut, but this being my first round with henna.. ever! makes me a bit extra carefull :)

henna4grey
November 10th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Hi Cecalv,

I'm not familiar with Hennaboy, but the packaging doesn't seem normal to me unless it's the "inner" package that has no labeling. The henna I buy is in a double package; one is aluminum with a label on it, and the one inside with the powder in is a clear plastic bag with no labeling.

swearnsue
November 10th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Henna should have an inner package of some kind to keep it fresh. Have you opened it? See what is smells like and feels like. Maybe it's like crackers, it has an outer box with the labeling and then the inner sleeves with the crackers are just plain wax paper or plastic.

Cecalv
November 10th, 2011, 09:56 AM
It does look kinda like the inner bag in a cracker package :P I have never hennaed before but it smells like what has been described to me and looks and feels as I have read and I have never found anything negative about hennaboy while researching (other then very slow delivery, but this was no problem for me as it only took about 10 days from when I placed the order) I mixed up a small portion to do a test which should be done in about 3 hours or so ^^ so I guess we'll see :P

Cecalv
November 10th, 2011, 09:57 AM
oh, henna4grey it only had one layer of packing, only the see-trough very well sealed plastic bag

Cecalv
November 10th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I think I will be happy with this. The strand turned out nicely, but it will need more time to release dye then what I gave it. My hair is dyed red with commercial dye for about 6 or 7 years and I have about two inces of virgin hair which after the test today turned rather bright orange, but my hair isnt even dry yet so I'll see in a couple of days what the real result will be. Cant wait to do my whole head ^^

cmg
November 10th, 2011, 06:30 PM
This has nothing to do with any particular brand, but I have been wondering about packaging also. There seems to be different plastic qualitys, some don't keep the moisture out. I have packages that are 12 and even 16 years old, that I have kept for reference. And then I have some that are labeled 2007 and 2008 (bought recently!) and there is some that I percieve as fresher though no labelling available. I have noticed, some of the older stuff works great and is compatible to fresher packages. In theory, getting wet or moist during storage should create most damage because it releases both mucilage and dye. But it seems it still works anyway. Perhaps heat has the most adversary effect, in combination with UV-light. My theory anyway. :confused:

Cecaly: I don't think you have anything to worry about. The seller may have been repackaging the merchandize from bigger packages that are the import packaging. If this is done well and sealed properly, all you have to do is store it away from humidity, heal and light.

Cecalv
November 11th, 2011, 02:08 AM
The plastic was very thin, but there where no sign of moisture so I'm all in all happy wih my purchase^^ its just so easy to get a bit paranoid when its your first time using henna I guess.

Will be doing a full head on sunday so I'll post a picture of the turn out :) extremly happy I got my boyfriend there to help with the process.. got a feeling it will get messy xD

Cecalv
November 13th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Rinsed it out a few minutes ago and I'm officially a henna head! It turned even more gorgeous then I dared to hope, will have pictures tomorrow^^

cmg
November 13th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Wow that sounds great! Looking forward to see the pictures.

Cecalv
November 15th, 2011, 02:52 AM
The result have been posted i the show your hennaed head thread :D

Evie
November 15th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about this, I have bought henna from a couple of sites that has probably been repackaged after import - I have sometimes thought this might be to sell it in larger quantities, sometimes I have bought Jamilia packages that are really small (25g?) and so mixing is a pain as you have to open maybe 4 boxes at a time? I have bought from henna boy without an problems and the henna I got always worked fine. I have found that Yemen, rather more than some of the indian hennas, is likely to come packed as you describe, maybe it is just how it is shipped from the country of origin? Glad it worked out ok, I thought your result pictures looked great

Cecalv
November 15th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Thank you, thats nice to hear^^ And it was indeed Yemeni I ordered :)

Evie
November 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Yep, for the life of me I can't remember where I bought it from, but I got Yemen henna in a plastic bag rather than a a box / silver foil packet like other hennas come in. I think I was a bit worried (this was a while ago) too, and just did a strand test, you can soon tell if it is ok or not, and yours clearly was! If you buy from a reputable seller, it is probably fine, but you can always email and check with them, or just ask. If I'd bought it cheap on ebay and it turned up like that, well, I might be a bit more cautious ;)

Cecalv
November 15th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Yep, for the life of me I can't remember where I bought it from, but I got Yemen henna in a plastic bag rather than a a box / silver foil packet like other hennas come in. I think I was a bit worried (this was a while ago) too, and just did a strand test, you can soon tell if it is ok or not, and yours clearly was! If you buy from a reputable seller, it is probably fine, but you can always email and check with them, or just ask. If I'd bought it cheap on ebay and it turned up like that, well, I might be a bit more cautious ;)

Yes, if I had bought it like that I would be much more cautious. Took me years to even consider to try henna, and when I started considering it, it was months of research. My cousin got black "henna" tattoos on both his upper arms ten years ago in Greece or Spain (cant remember) but seeing a 12 year old boy with burn wounds filled with nastyness in the exact same pattern as the tattoos kinda made me associate the word henna with something really bad.. even today he has white scars where the tattoos where.