PDA

View Full Version : Making red hair a little darker?

Cania
November 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Hi all :) My DBF has ginger hair, to his shoulders, and is looking to make it a bit darker. He already straightens it every other day, though, so I was wondering if there was a way he could do it without much damage, I'm not sure if there is something henna-ish that might work or maybe just something that could darken it gradually, so this seemed like the place to ask!

Any suggestions? :o
Just to clarify, he's not looking to make it brown, just.. making it more of a browny-red instead of just "ginger" :)

Blond On Blond
November 9th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Henna + amla

MonaMayfair
November 10th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Or just henna alone.
My hair's naturally fair, and when I started using henna I wanted an auburn ( reddish brown as opposed to bright red) color. I found that several applications of henna later it had gone a medium to darkish red (I thought I'd need to add indigo to make it that dark, but henna alone did it)
I changed my mind after that and wanted it lighter again, but that's another story!

Also, if he straightens his hair - that often causes henna to darken (the heat from the straighteners) It happened to me noticeably on my bangs/fringe because that was the only bit of my hair I straightened and you could see the difference!

And of course, henna (pure body art quality henna) is good for your hair and makes it stronger/thicker/shinier.

It IS very permanent though, so needs thinking about before he rushes into it!

Diamond.Eyes
November 10th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I have natural red hair. But, I do ACV rinses very often and I also spray my hair with rooibos tea everyday. Those two things are said to make hair darker/redder. I'm not sure if it has altered my color at all, but it's worth a try; considering they aren't permanent. :D

Amber_Maiden
November 10th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Just henna alone. But it probably make it more red. Like almost a fire engine red...

MonaMayfair
November 10th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I think it might well make it very red at the first attempt. But going by mine (which was totally orange on the first henna) it does darken a lot on subsequent henna applications.

Cania
November 11th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Alrighty, thanks for the tips everyone! I'll pass them along and he'll have a think :)

GRU
November 11th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Depending how curly his hair is to begin with and how straight he wants it to be, the henna might take out enough curl that he doesn't have to straighten it anymore. From what I've seen of reports in various threads here, folks in the 2 range typically lose some curl/wave, whereas folks in the 3 range typically retain their curl pattern.

Another thing to consider.

*Rose Red*
November 12th, 2011, 02:30 AM
rooibos tea
I will try this, too! thank you (now I´am off, going to buy rooibos tea)

coffinhert
November 12th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but -- if you use heat over henna (you say he straightens it) there are several documented cases on here of it turning BROWN. Like girls who blow dry just their bangs, and after henna their bangs gradually turn brown and the rest of the hair stays auburn. So if he hennas and straightens his hair will probably turn brown. Just a warning.

MonaMayfair
November 13th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Coffinhert, I did mention this, it happened to me, BUT it didn't make the hair browner, just darker. Henna does tend to look browner in different lighting conditions anyway...

GRU
November 13th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I thought that heat application to hennaed hair resulted in a darker, more burgundy color rather than brown?

MonaMayfair
November 14th, 2011, 03:34 AM
I thought that heat application to hennaed hair resulted in a darker, more burgundy color rather than brown?

Yes, GRU that's what happened to me - not so much burgundy though, as just darker auburn.