PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Water

rbooh
November 3rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
On a whim I bought coconut water since I love coconut oil so much and I finally had an opportunity to use it. (I'll call it CW in the rest of the post)

I did a clarifying shampoo today, as I felt my hair was getting a bit heavy with oil. I decided to experiment with the CW. I used a teaspoon or so in my shampoo, rinsed, conditioned with whatever conditioner and then rinsed with just the CW. I have to say here that IMO it smells terrible, so I rinsed again with just plain water.

My hair felt squeaky clean, which I normally like it more slippery. I wanted to see how the CW would effect my hair so I let it air dry. It was weird and I'm not sure how to describe it but my hair dried even straighter than normal. My hair is pin straight but after a normal conditioning with oil or conditioner my hair "clumps". The individual hairs seemed to dry on their own.

Anyway its been a few hours and my hair is shiny and bouncy (not smelly or sticky). I like it :)

I tried to find the lauric acid content of CW but I couldn't find any hair care information that lists CW, its just touted as a natural sports drink. I have to mention here also that IMO it tastes just as bad as it smells. No offense to any coconut water lovers, but yuck.

This might be a good mister bottle ingredient, maybe mixed with something that can mask the CW.

Amber_Maiden
November 3rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
hmmmm interesting. I don't think I'd use CW on my hair... I love it too much, I love to drink it.

mora
November 3rd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Hmm, I've never tried it on my hair but I do love to drink coconut water. I do know what you're saying about the yuck flavor, though, because some brands do taste nasty.

Aredhel77
November 3rd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Yep, it doesn't taste like coconut does it? More of a malty taste, I'd say. I like it. Never thought to put it on my hair though :hmm:

sally_neuf
November 3rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
Ohhh so you can find coconout water in a bottle! I'm used to drink it directly from the coconout, which is popular (in Venezuela) and I was wondering first, how did you got fresh coconouts, and if you had taken the coconout to the shower....

Doh me!!! Better go to sleep now....!

rbooh
November 3rd, 2011, 06:06 PM
ACK! No offense meant, ladies. Perhaps I just bought the wrong brand for a taste test.

Its the end of the day and I had my hair in a braid but decided to bun it and its odd, my hair is so straight that the bun won't bend right lol My hair is very soft and shiny but its so super duper straight.

I like it tho, I think its a good option if you don't like to oil with coconut. You still get some of the goodies.

BTW, I was reading up on coconut water and its so pure that in a pinch ( I suppose a pretty bad pinch) its been used as an IV solution.

mora
November 3rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
ACK! No offense meant, ladies. Perhaps I just bought the wrong brand for a taste test.

Its the end of the day and I had my hair in a braid but decided to bun it and its odd, my hair is so straight that the bun won't bend right lol My hair is very soft and shiny but its so super duper straight.

I like it tho, I think its a good option if you don't like to oil with coconut. You still get some of the goodies.

BTW, I was reading up on coconut water and its so pure that in a pinch ( I suppose a pretty bad pinch) its been used as an IV solution.

No offense taken. It's good to know that I can always use it on my hair if I get a bad-tasting bottle (whether b/c of brand or sitting-on-the-store-shelf time), it can still be useful for my hair. :)

Audhumla
November 4th, 2011, 03:48 AM
I don't think that coconut water has much coconut oil in it at all. I've used coconut milk as pre-wash treatment with success (coconut cream has too much oil for me) but I always thought that coconut water had natural emulsifiers in it which would probably have the effect of stripping oil from your hair.

kwaniesiam
November 4th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Coconut water is too delicious of a drink for me to want to waste it on my hair. You should try using a can of coconut milk, do a search and you'll find several threads on the topic of it.

Aredhel77
November 4th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Ohhh so you can find coconout water in a bottle! I'm used to drink it directly from the coconout, which is popular (in Venezuela) and I was wondering first, how did you got fresh coconouts, and if you had taken the coconout to the shower....

Doh me!!! Better go to sleep now....!

LOL! Bless. :p Yes, you can buy it canned now and some health food stores stock it.