PDA

View Full Version : Whipped coconut oil?? Is this a thing?

hototogisu
October 30th, 2011, 04:55 AM
So I ran out of my usual oil blend when I was heavy-oiling my hair in preparation for colouring, and I got a bit, uhm, creative. I'd already decided I wanted to try a coconut-olive-castor oil blend, and I'd been dreaming of making whipped shea because I really wanted to make something lush and soft and creamy, and before I knew it I was whipping my coconut-olive-castor with a stick blender. Lo and behold, it worked! It blended together into this wonderful, very white, fluffy but still runny cream.

It's in the cupboard now cooling its heels, and it may well just collapse into an oily sludge, given coconut oil's low melting point, but I'm really excited to try it!

My ratios were 110g coconut oil (that was all I had), 20g castor oil and 20g olive oil.

Has anyone else tried whipping coconut oil? Is it a bad idea?

hototogisu
October 30th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Also - I took a photo but I have no idea how to upload it!

laura85
October 30th, 2011, 05:22 AM
I haven't tried it, but it sounds nice! Let us know how it cools :-)

Manzanilla
October 30th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Interesting! I dont know much about coconut oil. Let us know how it goes!

hototogisu
October 30th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I think I just figured it out!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8998&pictureid=117496

Avaya
October 30th, 2011, 09:54 AM
That sounds lovely! Let us know if it stays whipped after it cools. I would really like to try this if it works. :)

PeachyWavy
October 30th, 2011, 09:59 AM
That sounds lovely! Let us know if it stays whipped after it cools. I would really like to try this if it works. :)

I second that!

Is it just me, or is there something incredibly appealing about the idea of a whipped coconut creme to apply to hair?! :cheese:

hototogisu
October 30th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Okay, it's been 6-7 hours, and I think it's totally set. I used a teaspoon in my post-dye SMT and it's just glorious. It's definitely firmed up a bit, and it has the consistency of softly whipped cream. I rubbed a bit between my fingers and it absorbed instantly, so I'd put this in the try it yourself camp!

A bit more detail: I beat together hard, scooped-straight-from-the-jar, unmelted coconut oil. I used a stick blender or bamix - I imagine you could use a hand mixer or similar. I just put all the oils in a bowl and whipped them all up. I basically used the same method as whipped shea butter. A quick Google will reveal plenty of tutorials.

I can't wait to try it as a mid-week light length oiling!

einna
October 30th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Sound very interesting. I will try this!

Metallia
October 30th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I used a stick blender or bamix - I imagine you could use a hand mixer or similar.
This looks really interesting, thanks for sharing! Can I ask what kind of attachment you had on your blender? Like, a whisk, or a blade, etc?

hototogisu
October 30th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Metallia - just a blade attachment, it's the only one I've got!

cmg
October 30th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Fantabulous idea! I was thinking of making some coconut ice cream tomorrow, but I'll probably try this instead!

Or perhaps I do both :D

Neecola
October 30th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Nice discovery; thanks for sharing! Will definitely be trying this.

hototogisu
October 31st, 2011, 02:37 PM
I just used a tiny dab before BBBing. I think whipped coconut oil is great for fine haired ladies who can easily over oil - a tiny dab of whipped oil was much less oily than regular oil.

Let me know if anyone tries this. I'd love to see what other peoples' experiences are!

cmg
October 31st, 2011, 02:50 PM
I will try something similar tonight. I havent been able to get castor oil, but I have some olive oil, almond oil and amla oil so I will mix this tonight and let you know how it goes.

EDIT:
60 gram coconut oil
10 gram EVOO
10 gram Amla oil (Dabur original)

It turned into a lime-green goo that I massaged into my lengths. It wasnt quite enough, so I left out my scalp. Ill keep it as an overnight treatment. There was a strange, silky feeling about the hair after this :-] I hope it wount drip.

cmg
November 3rd, 2011, 05:53 PM
The hair got very silky from it. Much of it was sucked in by my hair. I had the feeling though, it was a bit more difficult to wash out the excess oils than usual. Or perhaps my hair is beginning to get saturated. Its condition has improved a lot the past year. Very nice effect as an oil treatment, but it is difficult to say if it was any different from the coconut oil as is, without whipping.

hototogisu
November 5th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Yeah, I really doubt it would do anything different than regular coconut oil, it's just a bit more fun to use!

Actually, now that I've been using it, one major benefit of whipped oil for fine hair is it's much easier to use a very small amount for day to day styling and light oiling. I like to use a tiny dab before BBBing and the shine is incredible. I always found myself over-applying with regular oil.