PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Race Hair? ries? Tips? Rants? Bring it here!

CurlyCap
October 30th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Hi All.

I was looking for a thread for people to post their stories about dealing with their mixed race hair.

Many people I've talked to think "mixed race" is some mixture of AA hair (4a/b/c) + other, but there are lots of other combos. I have a friend who is half Chinese and half French, and hates the way her hair is. She says it's too coarse to lie her mother's but too fine for asian hair dressers to cut properly. I'm completely entranced by her hair woe stories because they're like a whole other world!

I'm sure others have heard similar stories. Tell us about them! Share your tips/tales/woes!

I know that growing up, it wasn't fun trying to piece together a haircare routine with parents who set very different examples. It all eventually came together for me around 25, but I guess I got some interesting school pictures out of it. I smile when I see products targeted toward mixed hair, but the I also shake my hair because everyone's hair is different, even those of us whose hair is an interesting genetic smoothie.

I think my hair is an extreme example. My mother is asian (1c, f, i) and my father is black (4b/c, f, never long enough to tell). I tend to think of my hair as like my mom's but with my dad's curls injected into it. Both of their hair grows extremely quickly and so does mine. Oddly, neither of them have dry hair and mine is ridiculously so.

As I said in another thread, my childhood hair care was TORTURE. I remember many nights of brushing, upside down, in front of my mom who was armed with coconut oil and a boar bristle brush. It was awful because my hair was usually dry, poorly conditioned and under-oiled. But my mom was doing her best, trying to apply the traditions that had worked in her family for generations to a head of curly hair that was unlike anything she'd seen. In the end, my dad actually took over my hair care and that was interesting, because I don't have the type 4 hair he was familiar with either. Good times.

misspurdy06
October 30th, 2011, 02:05 AM
I'm mostly caucasian and a tiny bit native american. My hair is thick and changes drastically with the weather. It always keeps me guessing.

I don't know if that counts as mixed race.

honeydippedxo
October 30th, 2011, 02:10 AM
I am Hawaiian Black and Asian and I love my hair when it's long. Not so much when it's short. When it's long my hair is just wild and free, the way it was meant to be. When it's short its just one hot poofy mess. I have to use oil every morning just to look decent.

CurlyCap
October 30th, 2011, 02:10 AM
I'm mostly caucasian and a tiny bit native american. My hair is thick and changes drastically with the weather. It always keeps me guessing.

Sure it does!

I was trying to come up with a thread title, and "Is your hair different from your parents?" didn't do the idea justice. Sometimes your hair is like your Aunt's. lol

How does you hair change with the weather? Is it the humidity?

misspurdy06
October 30th, 2011, 02:18 AM

Rant....

My friend in middle school was mixed, she let me braid her hair for a while till her sister made fun of her.

After 3 weeks of letting her sisters friends braid her hair half broke off because they were braiding so tight.

Basically because I didn't have their hair type they thought I didn't know how to style it.

I just think instincts are important in haircare.

honeydippedxo
October 30th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Sure it does!

I was trying to come up with a thread title, and "Is your hair different from your parents?" didn't do the idea justice. Sometimes your hair is like your Aunt's. lol

SO true...My older sister has super curly hair, I have wavy hair and my younger sister has stick straight hair. We all have totally different from each other and our parents.

Badwolf
October 30th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I can relate to your hair experiences. My mom is white and my dad is black, and I think your description of having your mom's hair with your dad's curls pretty much fits what I have as well. When I was a kid my mom did her best dealing with my hair, but I know I gave her a lot of trouble when she'd try to brush or comb my hair. She eventually gave up and had all of my MBL hair cut off.

It's only within the last year or two that I've gotten to a point where I actually like my hair they way it grows out of my head. When I was younger I didn't really know anyone who had hair similar to mine, and no internet back then to find out what my hair actually needed.

Orangerthanred
October 30th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I'm not mixed "race", but I'm very mixed of nationalities. My ancestors are from all across Europe- anywhere from Greece to Sweden, Italy to Ireland, Germany to Spain. My hair's crazy different from my parent's- my mom has fine red hair and my dad has coarse naturally blond hair. I have orange curly/wavy super thick hair. -_-

And I don't believe in "races".

misspurdy06
October 30th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Sure it does!

How does you hair change with the weather? Is it the humidity?
humidity, dryness, cold, hot

humidity makes my hair curl up, dryness makes it dry of course and static-y, in cold weather its stiff and hot weather really elastic-y (in a bad way)

Though the weather has had less of an effect since I am doing WO. My sebum has weather proofed my hair somewhat. Which is nice.

hisprincess
October 30th, 2011, 05:59 PM
When I was younger I didn't really know anyone who had hair similar to mine, and no internet back then to find out what my hair actually needed.

Ditto! Both my parents are Black, but both have pretty mixed ancestries for a few generations, so everybody has a different set of curls. Growing up people always thought my hair was weird and hairdressers had no idea what to do with it. I lamented that my hair was "cursed" because I couldn't get it to grow past APL-- little did I know I was beating it up with terrible products and treatments, trying to get it to be something other than what it was.

Love my hair now. And it's funny that now I live in a Dominican neighborhood where I'm surrounded by people with hair like mine. :)

CavySong
October 30th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I am so glad you started this thread.

I am the child of mostly anglo-saxon heritage parents with 1b-c type hair, dad mostly dk. blond and my mom mostly dark brown. Mine was blond 1c as a child and darker as I aged. My Husband, on the other, hand is mostly German/Bohemian (east-central Europe), with Black 3a-b hair even tho his dad was blond. Kids came with the following: Daughter, darkest brn,2c: Son blond 1c, son brown 3a, son almost black 1b, son blond 2b, son brown 3b. I had such a hard time with the 3's! seemed like no matter what I did, the youngest looked like Kramer from Seinfeld on a bad hair day.

I will never forget going in for a pediatrics appointment with Daughter and first blond son. A lady came up to me and asked if his father's hair was blond, as sister and I were obviously not I guess. When I told them that Dad had black curly hair, the lady bent down, tweaked my son's cheek and laughed, "Well, you're the milkman's baby, aren't you!" Que me with my jaw on the floor.

My daughter's husband is 3c-4a and his 4 siblings have 3b, 3c, 4a, & 4b hair as his mom is German/Hungarian (1b) and dad is 3/4 Af-Am,1/8 Cherokee &1/8 french? (4b). When Grandkids come, any thing can happen! I figure the more I know about all types of hair, the better.

InTheCity
October 30th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Ugh, Brazilian med/coarse, frizz-prone, curly/wave hair (from mom) but German/white thinness (from paternal grandmom).

I feel like thinness is tolerable with straight hair but not with wavy/curly.

Inchworm
October 30th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Hi! I am mostly Hungarian and German mixed with Asian and a tiny bit Native American. I have big hair with little spirals but my sister has thick straight hair. We look nothing alike, me blonde and her brunette so we always joke that one of us got switched in the hospital.

Dragon Faery
October 30th, 2011, 08:40 PM
[I had a nice long message just now, and the internet ate it.] :(

My hair definitely qualifies (as does the rest of me).

I've got definite and indefinite ancestries. The definite, documented ones are German, English, French, and (possibly) Irish. The not-officially-documented ones are Iroquois or Cherokee, Scottish, Turkish or Spanish, Crow, something Asian, and African. Those last are speculation but definite possibilities.

I've been mistaken for Jewish, Russian, Mexican, Crow, other Native, part African American, and a few other things I don't remember at the moment. I think I could potentially pass for anything but Swedish or Norwegian, depending on the circumstances.

My hair is just as mixed up as the rest of me. I've found fine blonde, medium ginger and brown, coarse brown, and coarse black hairs scattered all throughout my head. The overall color is a dark brown that some people insist is black. In the sunlight it can look auburn-ish, and sometimes people ask if I've dyed it. When I was little the ends of my hair would burnish to a golden brown. Now they fade redder instead.

I have 3a or 3b curls on top, 2a to 2c waves in the middle, and 1b to 1c smoothness on the bottom. At the nape of my neck there is also a several-inch-wide lighter streak that only shows if I put my hair up in a high bun.

Crazy stuff. :)

lizdini
October 30th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I'm caucasian with pretty standard "white girl" hair. Although my mom had no idea what to do with curls and would make me brush my hair until it was "straight" ie pouffy and horrible.

Anyhow, my friend is black and hispanic and his wife is chinese. I've always been fascinated with their daughters hair. When she was a baby it looked asian (fine and straight) then around two all of a sudden she had an afro (adorable!). Now at eight her hair is wavy and coarse and very pretty, if really hard to control. I wonder if it will change again?

I hope you don't mind me posting here? I know I don't have much to add, I just thought it was a good place to talk about my little friends hair.:)

CurlyCap
October 30th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Ugh, Brazilian med/coarse, frizz-prone, curly/wave hair (from mom) but German/white thinness (from paternal grandmom).

I feel like thinness is tolerable with straight hair but not with wavy/curly.

Really?!

My mom has super thin and fine hair, and I'm so thankful for the curls because it keeps me from looking bald! When I straighten my hair my friends are always like "Where'd it all go?" and I just ::headdesk::

Do people really consider Brazillian hair coarse? I thought Brazil was one of those great melting pots. So many different types in one country!

CurlyCap
October 30th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I hope you don't mind me posting here? I know I don't have much to add, I just thought it was a good place to talk about my little friends hair.:)

Why would I mind? :D This whole thread is about throwing these ideas/stories out there, and she's a great example!

I often want to ask parents about their mixed kids hair, but I don't think it's quite the think to do yet. I had a friend who was Korean and French, and she had beautiful light brown/blonde hair but perfectly asian features. It was so exotic. Luckily, her hair was like her mom's but blonde, so she didn't have any hair care issues. She always wore it to TBL, but permed it in her teens. Was sick of her "annoyingly asian hair". Made me LOL.

VikingVampChick
October 30th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Irish/Dominican here. Dark brown/almost black hair, 2b, m/c, ii. Biggest pain in the butt when I was younger & couldn't have cared less about my hair. Love it now. I can handle the knots (almost non-existent at this point thanks to LHC :) ) now.

Mom's Cuban (I'm adopted) with 1a hair naturally. I would scream when she brushed my hair when I was younger. Love her, but I'm pretty sure she had no clue how to deal with my knotty mess back then. After the detanglings, it was fine. Until then...it's no wonder I would use up to 2 bandanas to cover my hair in high school sometimes - wasn't about to put myself through that. I'd had enough at that point for the most part.

luxepiggy
October 30th, 2011, 10:57 PM
This thread is such an interesting read, although I admittedly have nothing constructive to add :o Don't mind me, I'm just a curious piggy with very sterotypical East Asian hair (^(oo)^)`

xoxophelia
October 31st, 2011, 12:39 AM
I am tri racial (if there is anything more than that I am not aware) but I'm ~80% caucasian. The only main thing that is perhaps different in my hair is that I am more C than many caucasians. My hair texture is from my dad's side but I really don't know if it has its roots in the caucasian part or the Indian one. If anybody is curious my mom is mostly of European descent with some Native American and my dad is also but Indian.

I don't think I have anything constructive to add ^_^'

Aveyronnaise
October 31st, 2011, 01:51 AM
I am half native Mexican ( with maybe a skosh Spaniard ? ) on my dad's side and then my mom's side mostly Scandinavian. He had straight native C hair and she had 2C naturally blonde F curls.
So I ended up with a weird texture hair. It's fine progressing to medium on the crown , there are also superfine pieces that are superkinky throughout, this gives it an otter fur like density and a tendency to tangle.
It also acts like curly hair but only has a body wave. It will also take on any texture that you suggest to it until you wash it again.
My only real gripe about it is that it is so 'messy' looking it never looks smooth even though it's straighter.

proo
October 31st, 2011, 12:21 PM
British Isles mutt here with a bit of American Indian: can all this be the source of the frizzy fro-hawk growing down the middle of my head? The rest is pretty much stick straight - goodtimezzz.

ladonna
October 31st, 2011, 12:42 PM
I'm half white half native american. My hair is very thick and on the coarse side. Since I was raised by my Aunt and g'ma who both had fine soft hair, they didn't know how to take care of my hair and so I went through life with dry frizzy hair. For some reason they believed that my hair wouldn't grow past my shoulder's, maybe this was because it would be too dry and break?
Now thanks to LHC my hair is beautiful at least in pictures, and it's so thick I believe it's meant to be really long.

CurlyCap
October 31st, 2011, 08:48 PM
It will also take on any texture that you suggest to it until you wash it again.

I actually love this trait! Unless I'm trying for bone straight, my hair will take on any texture challenge. I know about changing, encouraging different curl patterns, and of course, braiding. Are there any other texture tricks you know?

09robiha
November 1st, 2011, 05:03 AM
me me me!...okay so im only kindddd of mixed...mostly irish, spanish and british. I ended up with hair totally unlike anyone else in my family. Thick, Curly, very resiliant, grows like a weed...in saying that I ended up with skin colour and eye colour totally unlike anyone else (very very pale, almost snow white pale skin, pale blue eyes). My mum, who has olivey skin and straight hair like my dad and sis, always said i had irish skin and spanish hair...even i will admit i am an odd combination! I really love my hair texture tho even if it did take me years to embrace it..it makes me totally unique in my family and people always comment on it :cheese:

noelgirl
November 1st, 2011, 05:28 AM
I get my thickness and dark color from my Mediterranean heritage (Tunisian/Portuguese) and fine individual strands from my Northern European heritage (Russian/German). My wurls are somewhere in between.

My hair is actually a lot like my mom's, except that hers is blonde (she's German and Portuguese). She sees hers as "problem" hair, though. My parents live on the east coast and have had a power outage for the past few days, so she hasn't been able to heat style like she usually does. Yesterday, she mentioned on the phone that her hair looked "terrible," and I could hear my sister in the background yelling "Mom! It's not that bad!"

Altocumulus
November 1st, 2011, 06:24 AM
My ancestors are all from Eastern Europe (as far as I know) - Polish on one side, and Ashkenazi Jewish on the other. My hair is really weird though - I have a large number of hair types all at once. It really looks like several different people's hair, all growing on my head. The front and crown are curly, medium blonde and fine to medium texture, and then it gradually turns to wavy dark blonde toward the nape, except for a lighter blonde, mostly straight patch at the back of my neck. I also have wiry, coarse and dark brown hairs mixed in throughout. It took forever for me to realize that I get the best results if I treat everything as curly.

RoseOfClare
November 1st, 2011, 04:02 PM
Im not mixed raced but am a British Isles and Euro-Mutt. My hair changes a lot with the weather and humidity. My hair could tell ya when it's going to rain n snow! It does weird things and collects static before a thunderstorm.

But the hair difference between my brother, sister and I is quiet amasing!

My sister has honey blonde hair which is VERY thick for a blonde... my mum and I call it more brunette hair than blonde!

My brother has dark ash blonde and his hair is so course and wavy!It almost has the texture of horse hair!!

I, myself have cool ash with the typical blonde super fine hair. All have same parents!

InTheCity
November 1st, 2011, 05:29 PM
Really?!

My mom has super thin and fine hair, and I'm so thankful for the curls because it keeps me from looking bald! When I straighten my hair my friends are always like "Where'd it all go?" and I just ::headdesk::

Do people really consider Brazillian hair coarse? I thought Brazil was one of those great melting pots. So many different types in one country!

I'd love to learn how to style my hair such that it doesn't clump and end up causing way too much space in between (looking scraggly) but I'm a hair styling dolt.. Maybe you have a better method down. Glad the curls work for you though!

I don't know if Brazilians have coarse hair in general, but my mom, her mom and all her aunts certainly do.

nellreno
November 2nd, 2011, 02:30 AM
When I told them that Dad had black curly hair, the lady bent down, tweaked my son's cheek and laughed, "Well, you're the milkman's baby, aren't you!" Que me with my jaw on the floor.

Well that's just rude :/

Avital88
November 2nd, 2011, 02:41 AM
I'm a mix of (Eastern) European,South east russian(central Asia) and middle eastern.which gives me chameleon hair.. i can brush it straight for some hours to hold, 1c if i want but if i let air dry and dont touch it my hair is 2c, if i scrunch it i easily get to 3a. My brother and mother has more difficulties with it than i, i just keep on oiling:)

Stessie
November 17th, 2011, 06:32 PM
[I had a nice long message just now, and the internet ate it.] :(

My hair definitely qualifies (as does the rest of me).

I've got definite and indefinite ancestries. The definite, documented ones are German, English, French, and (possibly) Irish. The not-officially-documented ones are Iroquois or Cherokee, Scottish, Turkish or Spanish, Crow, something Asian, and African. Those last are speculation but definite possibilities.

I've been mistaken for Jewish, Russian, Mexican, Crow, other Native, part African American, and a few other things I don't remember at the moment. I think I could potentially pass for anything but Swedish or Norwegian, depending on the circumstances.

My hair is just as mixed up as the rest of me. I've found fine blonde, medium ginger and brown, coarse brown, and coarse black hairs scattered all throughout my head. The overall color is a dark brown that some people insist is black. In the sunlight it can look auburn-ish, and sometimes people ask if I've dyed it. When I was little the ends of my hair would burnish to a golden brown. Now they fade redder instead.

I have 3a or 3b curls on top, 2a to 2c waves in the middle, and 1b to 1c smoothness on the bottom. At the nape of my neck there is also a several-inch-wide lighter streak that only shows if I put my hair up in a high bun.

Crazy stuff. :)

Reading your response made me laugh 'cause it reminds me a lot of how weird my hair is, as well. :P

My mother is Austrian and Croatian with thin, fine blond hair. [White blond, as a child] My father was French, Dominican and Cherokee Native with thick, dark curly hair. [Perhaps, 3b? Looked wavy but not poofy, when brushed out.]

Somehow, I ended up with curls, waves and even fairly straight hair, in some areas. My strands are a mix between fine + medium ['normal'] and my mane isn't very thick. Maybe, ii/iii. The colour is dark but it looks multi-coloured, in the sun. At a quick glance, it may appear to only be brown but if you look closely I have a lot of red and blond highlights. xD The ends of my hair get really light, as well, in the summer. :P

It's funny 'cause, I have two younger brothers and they both have very different hair, from mine. One has curly hair like my father's but it's a light shade of brown. Ash blond, in the summer. [He also has very light honey-coloured eyes] He's the fairest [in skin colour] out of all of us. And my other brother has medium to coarse pin-straight dark brown [could be soft black] hair, with hazel eyes. His skin is red-ish, in colour. [Very Native looking]

People can never tell what my nationality is. It's gotten to the point where I just agree to whatever they guess. lollz xD

/Wall of text

Copasetic
November 17th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I love this thread! I am black, Native, and French-Canadian. I don't have any major complaints about my hair, but it has taken me YEARS to figure out what works for me. Most drug store products for curly hair do nothing for me.

sbhonda
November 17th, 2011, 09:05 PM
My mom is a mix of English, Scottish, and various other Western European things, and my dad is half Japanese and German. My dad has incredibly thick, coarse black hair and my mom has thin, fine blonde hair. My hair is more toward my dad's side, but it's a total mix.

I have very coarse black hairs on my head that sometimes stick up because they're so coarse, and I have big streaks of finer blonde hair as well. My hair is also pretty straight in the front and very wavy/sometimes curly in the back. I wish my hair could at least pick one curl pattern. My dad's hair is somewhat wavy (as seen in one of the few pictures of him I've seen with longer hair (i.e. a borderline mullet)), but my mom really had no clue how to take care of it when I was younger. It got wavier as I aged, so she continued to brush it like she always did, and that resulted in some poofy-haired yearbook pictures. Thankfully, I've figured out how to make my hair behave much better than it used to.

cmg
November 17th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Interesting thread! I don't really have anything interesting to add except I find myself nodding to most things Curly Cap says LOL For example this:

I have jewish, sami and african ancestry. To make this "worse" I have red hair :silly: (today it's white). Noone in my family had this red hair. Hearsay states that this trait appeared in the part of my family that is influenced by african genes?!? There might be some truth to this because my mom was platin blonde as a child but pitch black after 15. I have not met many elders in my family because of WWII so there werent that many people I could ask. Some polish influence also - they seemed to be dark blonde or brunettes according to photo evidence, this has not appeared in the following generations though. Most of my closer family have brown-black hair. I think my hair is closest to my maternal grandmom, except for the colour. I also have very pale skin, and being a head taller than my people these features raised alot of questions when I came along :bigeyes: but retained the black-brown eyes that everybody else had.

Hairsay, is that a word? LOL

So I ended up with a weird texture hair. It's fine progressing to medium on the crown , there are also superfine pieces that are superkinky throughout, this gives it an otter fur like density and a tendency to tangle.
That sounds nicer than my persian/spun sugar combo. And every hair wash is an experiment. Sometimes I wake up looking like an elektrified poodle.
(skunk/poodle/goat ; strike the ones not applicable this season)

My only real gripe about it is that it is so 'messy' looking it never looks smooth even though it's straighter.
Aha! Same here. That must be scandinavian then he he

People can never tell what my nationality is. It's gotten to the point where I just agree to whatever they guess. lollz xD
/Wall of text
Same here. As a kid I used to dress up differently in costume parties and carnevals and everybody thought it was genuine whatever I went as. When I came along with my indian friends they thought I belonged there too :smirk:

SoulOfTheSea
November 17th, 2011, 09:29 PM
My mother is Mexican and my father is Caucasian, and it can be such a pain! My mother has straight hair, like 1c/2a that frizzes and poofs easily, while my father has like 2c almost 3a hair and thick, very thick. I got a mix of both. :o Sometimes it can be a blessing, because I love my 2b/2c hair when it's behaving, but most of the time it's a wavy poofball, thanks to my genes, lol. Love you mom and dad! :P

ETA: Also forgot to mention my mom has very dark hair, almost black, and my dad had blonde, then light brown, then dark brown hair, so I get a crazy combo of dark and gold in my hair. Genetics is interesting. I've heard that Caucasian and Asians are supposed to make the perfect mix of hair. But see, Caucasian hair is so varied, so that's a huge generalization...

rena
November 19th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Well thanks to my Russian/English straight blonde mom and Native/African American curly black dad, I get uneventful brown hair thats very flat on top until it reaches what I call "the curly line" which is an underlayer of curls starting from the tops of my ears and downward that curls all the hair that intermingles with it. My hairline is just a nightmare, very dry and devoid of any kind of life what-so-ever. The sides of my head are tight waves, not quite curls. If I were to randomely grab a few hairs and yank them out, I would likely see a curlies with dead straights or wavies alongside them. At my temples, I have these tiny little blonde patches. Yes, super mixed up indeed :(.

ktani
November 19th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I think this idea is wonderful,
http://crawfurd.dk/photos/blackhair.htm
"It seems the idea is beginning to catch on. The interest in African hair design has led to more international projects. Unions of hairdressers in Denmark and Ghana are now working together –exchanging ideas, styles and educating about the importance of organising, working environment and safe use of chemicals."

This is interesting as well,
http://www.terridaniel.com/AfAm%20Hair.htm
"In Africa they braided with coconut oil, and sometimes weaved in Spanish moss from the trees or animal hair to give it lift," Morrow explains.

As with any culture, it depends on where in Africa what was used. It was about availability. I like to look at traditional hair care that may or may not be applicable today, what was actually used back when.

ETA: Ochre and goat fat is still used by the Himba people practicing traditional methods of hair and skin care http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37215

I like to look at the "source" the same way traditional Indian hair care has been researched by others, including me and applied here in various threads.

ktani
November 19th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Today there are some interesting views and tips one can learn from other sources available too,
http://www.aleida.net/salon-en.html
"More and more North American women, especially African-American women, have heard about Dominican salons and they want to go there too, because it is really the same kind of hair – a mixture of European, Indigenous American, and African, just like we are! Dominican salons don't like to use hot irons or combs or strong chemicals for straightening, they have their own special techniques that are more gentle for your hair. For example, because I go to Dominican salons, I never need to have my hair straightened with chemicals or hot combs!"

inertia
November 19th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I'm half Latvian, half Japanese. My hair is all mixed up. I put "1c/2a" in my profile but that's not really accurate -- what I have is an unevenly blended mixture of every texture from 1b all the way to 3c or possibly even 4. The majority of my hair is 1c or 2a, but some of the hairs are straighter, and some of them are MUCH curlier. Probably 10% of my hair is 2c or curlier, but they're randomly scattered so it's just frizz instead of nice curls. Most of it is medium texture, but I also have both fine and coarse hairs.

If I leave my hair natural, it looks like straight hair which has become frizzy due to damage. In fact, it doesn't feel dry to the touch and I get few split ends, so I'm pretty sure it's healthy. I hate that it looks more damaged than it really is because of the natural texture. But aside from ironing, blowing it out, or curling it, I haven't been able to find any way to make it look nice. It's mixed textures so techniques for both straight and wavy hair don't work. I'm frequently frustrated and often consider cutting my hair shorter so I can get it either straightened or permed. (I like straight and curly hair, but I don't want BOTH on my head at the same time!)

Looks like a lot of mixed-race people have multiple textures. It's a relief to hear it's not just me.

Velvet Dreamer
November 19th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I'm a mutt.
Cherokee native, Irish, "plain ol' white," Japanese-Filipino and African-American (not sure what part of Africa my family is from). I'm mostly AA, but those other nationalities do end up making themselves known in my hair.
Thick, thick, thick, coarse hair with random superfine (like, newborn baby hair fine), straight strands. Tendency to frizz if I don't watch out, curly as all heck, dark brown, almost black, but it sometimes turns red-orange. And this is just my mother's side. I don't even know about my heritage on my father's side.
My hair is very short right now, though, and I've never had it longer while in its natural state, so I've no idea what it will behave like in a few years.

VikingVampChick
November 19th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Irish/Dominican here. Dark brown/almost black hair, 2b, m/c, ii. Biggest pain in the butt when I was younger & couldn't have cared less about my hair. Love it now. I can handle the knots (almost non-existent at this point thanks to LHC :) ) now.

Mom's Cuban (I'm adopted) with 1a hair naturally. I would scream when she brushed my hair when I was younger. Love her, but I'm pretty sure she had no clue how to deal with my knotty mess back then. After the detanglings, it was fine. Until then...it's no wonder I would use up to 2 bandanas to cover my hair in high school sometimes - wasn't about to put myself through that. I'd had enough at that point for the most part.

Forgot: 2b on most of my head with a very 1(a, I think - straight as hell) patch of hair at my nape. :p

holothuroidea
November 19th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I love how everyone gets excited to share their heritage, and that most people find that they are indeed an interesting mix and very few people have the same hair type as their parents. :) These are all good things to me, except of course we loose traditions of hair care but that is what this message board is here for, right?

I have my father's hair, but he and his family were not around for my childhood. My mom took care of my very delicate baby fine hair like she took care of her 2c/M/iii hair with disastrous results, especially with regards to daily washing and brushing. My hair was really flyaway and tangly from all the damage so she usually just hacked it all off and told me I'd never be able to have long hair. I am completely re-learning hair care now.

My DH and I have opposite hair types (he is 3c/M/iii) and our first child has a mix of ours (2c/F/ii) and I have a feeling that our second baby has inherited my hair as it resembles mine at her age (i.e. blonde, fine, straight, but mostly bald). I'm so lucky I have this board to help me learn how to take care of my first daughter's hair. I cut a lot of it off a year ago because it was really difficult to brush and would end up all foofy. I was devastated because on good days her hair was so beautiful. I saw the "curlies brush your hair" thread and had a complete AH-HA! moment and now I that I have been properly educated I can let her hair grow out again.

pinupdancer
November 19th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Lebanese and Irish, not so much a mixed race as simply two very different hair types. I'm lucky, though- I adore my hair and have always gotten compliments on it. I have the sleekness of my mom's hair and the color and strength of my dad's hair. :) If only I could have gotten the waviness of my dad's hair, too. Sigh. lol

RedBlue
November 19th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Not much of a mix! I'm Irish, German, Cherokee Native, and possibly Scandinavian. My father has black, curly hair and my mother has naturally dark brown straight hair. Low and behold, I have my father's curliness and my mother's color! My hair is thick, to the point where if I were to braid it and leave it without a hair tie, it would stay put for hours!

Since my sister and I have different fathers, people don't think we're sisters! They think we are related, though. My sister has naturally medium brown wavy hair.

I'm third generation German, my father's grandmother on his mother's side was born on a ship from Germany to America. I have no idea where the Irish, Cherokee, or Scandinavian comes from, but my mother says people would agree with her that I am most definitely Irish and German, given my temper! Which is wrong, I might add!

When I was younger, I would tell all my teachers and friends that I'm Native American, because my Nanie was! I didn't know, until I got older, that Nanie was my grandfather's stepmother!

dili
December 9th, 2011, 06:43 PM
i am brazillian, and like most of brazillians i am very mixed!

my mom have gypsy,jewish and some portuguese heritage, and dark blonde- auburn (depends)wavy hair ( and her sister have very black hair)
my dad is mostly of portuguese heritage, but very possible some mix with african and native american since my relatives looks mixed and its brazil:p- he have wurly brown hair with reddish and golden undertones, and was blonde when he was kid, and his beard and body hair is red
i have curly brown hair with some reddish undertone, when i go to the beach it gets very reddish, but it became totally brown when i came to usa and stoped swimming
i got my curly hair from my aunt, my father`s sister have hairs just like mine, but my mom side also have lots of curly hair

Jesabel
December 9th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Hi! I don't know if I exactly qualify but..
I'm not mixed race but there are many nationalities in my family history.. dads side includes italian, spanish (not how far down but my last name is apparently spanish) and welsh, where as on my mums side I have Irish.

The Italian comes from my paternal granmother (northern Italian i.e. tan skin light hair) but I have had many people tell me I look eurasion! Huh? When I used to straighten my fine hair people used to tell me my hair look like Asian hair haha.

Though in my teens I've learned to embrace my waves which my mother (with short, fine, oily, straight hair) used to brush out into a ball of a poofy mess and put hardly any conditioner on :o whereas her sister as the most course, dry wavy hair I have ever seen. Funny how hair is!

Oh and my boyfriend is Maori with a bit of Welsh so I wonder how our kids hair will turn out :D

getoffmyskittle
December 9th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Like all of LHC knows by now, I'm mixed. :p

My mom has fine curly hair. My dad has coarse wavy hair. My hair is perfectly blended between the two. It's medium/coarse and wurly. Yay.

But supposedly upper-caste Indians are "Caucasian," so I might not be mixed for the purposes of this thread. ;)