PDA

View Full Version : What kind of henna do you use and whats in your recipe :)

Anainwonderland
October 29th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Sooo I already posted this on my rainbow henna post but i am super interested in what everyone else uses and how they mix there recipe.

I mixed 113g of the light golden red rainbow henna with cassia and chamomile with about 5 tbl spoons of the henna and indigo rainbow mix (persian mahogany)

then i added hot water,
2 tbl sp lemon juice
1 tbl sp Olive oil,
3 tb sp if paprika
1 tbl sp ground cloves

I left it on for about 2 1/2 hours and washed it in the bath doing a mermaid soak then showered it off and conditioned. My ends look and feel a little dry but i think that was because of the lemon juice. I think i wont use that next time.

I added some more water to thin it a bit because i was having a hard time applying it but after i found a good consistency for me it went on great.

Im so excited to not only found a natural hair coloring method but that henna is supposed to be GOOD for your hair. I have been mistreating my hair for so long and now that im *cough* almost 28 *cough* i have noticed that my hair isn't growing half as fast as it use to in my teen years. ~sadness~ im seeking therapy for my hair and trying to give up chemicals in my life.

Let me know your henna, mixes, why you started hennaing your hair and why you continue to henna.

YAY!!!!

Blond On Blond
October 29th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I use Rajasthani henna. I mix it with hot distilled water only, last time I've added a bit of tea tree oil to deepen the color. I might try experimenting with mixes, but currently I've no reason for it, my mix works for me too good :)

Mairéad
October 29th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I use 1/3 Ancient Sunrise Yemen Light and 2/3 Ancient Sunrise Cassia. I mix with 2 cups of chamomile tea brewed in distilled water and add a splash of lemon. I leave my mixture on my head for 2 hours (plastic wrapped and towel wrapped to heck) and CO it out.

This is my result and I've since maintained roots-only when my roots bug me enough.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af276/Random_Goldfish/IMG_7640.jpg

Anainwonderland
October 30th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Blonde on Blonde - I had no idea tea tree oil would deepen the color. Thats good to know because i have some in my house always since i use it as an acne treatment when one pops up.

Mairéad - What is your natural hair color because the color you have with your henna looks COMPLETELY 100% natural. its beautiful.

kanaka
October 30th, 2011, 01:02 AM
I use Godrej Nupur henna which contains 100% rajastani henna and 9 other herbs. i really love it.

I add lemon juice, tea decoction, olive oil, ground cloves and some hot water. i leave it aside overnight. Then in the morning i mix curd to the mix and apply it :)

As my hair is black, i don't get any color but red highlights can be seen

fairystar32
October 30th, 2011, 01:24 AM
I use Punjabi prime in a gloss on my length currently and celebration on my roots.
I mix my henna with a dash of lemon and strong chamomile tea made with distilled water.

luciferia
October 30th, 2011, 05:57 AM
I am currently using Rajasthani Twilight mixed with water and maybe a tablespoon of either vinegar or lemon, though I have also mixed my henna with just chamomile tea or plain water.

I don't have exact measurements, as I just eyeball it, but it's usually 100g of henna mixed with however much liquid it takes to make it resemble somewhat creamy-yet-runny yogurt.

rock007junkie
October 30th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I have henna on my head as I type. I used Rajasthani henna, hibiscus powder, kapur kachri (ginger) and a dash of cinnamon powder. I mixed it with green tea. The last two ingredients seem to have killed a little bit the henna smell which I am not too fond of.

Mairéad
October 30th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Mairéad - What is your natural hair color because the color you have with your henna looks COMPLETELY 100% natural. its beautiful.

My natural hair color is level 7 blonde with some hints of red. My hennaed hair is close to my hair throughout my teenage years. Thank you. :D

CopperHead
October 30th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I have been using Celebration henna mixed with very warm herbal berry teas. I buy the sampler pack at the supermarket and use different berries each time. I don't think it changes the color but it smells good and I get great dye release. Sometimes I will add powdered hibiscus flowers. Very simple mix with great results. I just orderd the Rajasthani Twilight to try it too. My beloved Celebration will not last forever and I want to stretch it out by using the Raj in between.

ellen732
October 30th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I use Yemeni henna (I stocked up before it became unavailable) and I mix it with Celestial Seasonings Black Cherry Berry tea.

silverstars
October 30th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Jamilla henna mixed with hibiscus powder and warm water. My natural color is dark brown, but boy can you see the red in the sun :)

jackie75
October 30th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I just mixed up 300 grams of Jamila with warm/hot tap water, and some lavender and ylang ylang oil. Poured it into some big applicator bottles, and smaller ones for roots only, and popped them in the freezer.

I should be good for at least four months! :D

Now, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and henna again now, or keep trying to fade out this darn demi-permanent black hair color. My natural hair color is a crazy mix of ashy grey/brown, white, golden brown and dark golden blond. Weird, lol.

Lissandria
October 31st, 2011, 01:17 AM
Two step henndigo for very dark brown/warm black. Jamila/Yemeni/indian grocer henna mixed with ruby rosehip tea (quite acidic- contains rosehip, rose petals and hibiscus) mixed with amla on roots. Rinse and shampoo out. Then caca-noir with amla and salty water added on damp roots. Mix of caca-noir/ caca-noir glosses on length.

stacyyyy1972
October 31st, 2011, 03:06 AM
100g of Jamila henna
2tsp AVC
Approx 1 cup warm water (more if needed to get consistency desired)
Let sit overnight...then add...
2Tbs honey
2tbs Cinnamon (yummy smell)
4Tbs Condish (makes the 100g go further due to my length and soft too)
Let sit on head for about 1.5-3 hrs :)
My hair too is very dark brown but you can see the red. And truly it is almost as if it looks lighter where the henna has coated the hair. (dont get me wrong I already know henna does not lighten), Hard to explain but my dark brown haired LHCers prob know what I mean about the illusion of it being lighter with the henna :) One of these days I will get some pix on here..lol!

mrs_coffee
October 31st, 2011, 05:38 AM
I use Moroccan henna from Henna Sooq. My recipe is henna and warm water. Exciting and creative. http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/tackyblueeyeshadow/Smileys/giggle.gif

Lemon juice added to the mix makes my scalp itch for days so I only tried that twice.

I get great color with just warm water. My hair is naturally dark brown.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/tackyblueeyeshadow/Hair/tmpphpGDHBas.jpg

CorinaS
October 31st, 2011, 09:46 AM
I used 200g Egyptian henna, 50g Indigo, hibiscus tee powder (contains some other plants, but hibiscus is the main ingredient) and olive oil. I mixed the henna and the hibiscus with warm water and let it sit over night, then mixed the indigo with water and let it sit for 2 hours. After that, I mixed all of them together with some olive oil (I have very dry hair, that's why I don't use any lemon juice), put the mixture on my hair and let if soak up the colour for about 6 hours. I get a nice auburn colour, but I'm too lazy to post pictures :cool:. I only hennaed my hair twice, but the result was very pleasing.

Pierre
October 31st, 2011, 10:09 AM
I use whatever I got from Catherine and stored in my freezer.
15 g henna
7.5 g amla
7.5 g clove powder
90 g water
Mix, let sit for a few minutes so that the clumps absorb water, and apply with a root shooter. If I'm not doing my toenails, I use 12 g henna and reduce the others proportionally.

I'm thinking of reducing the cloves, since I have itchy fingertips after hennaing, but I'm not sure whether to increase the henna or the amla.

CopperHead
October 31st, 2011, 12:20 PM
I use Yemeni henna (I stocked up before it became unavailable) and I mix it with Celestial Seasonings Black Cherry Berry tea.

That is the tea that I use. :) I switch between the other berries too. Raspberries, mixed berries, black cherry and blueberry. I get a great stain with these teas.

Plume
October 31st, 2011, 01:47 PM
Every 3-4 weeks, I do a 2 steps hennindigo to color the roots in auburn and hide the grey ones:
1st step:
60g Rajasthani henna mixed with 1 tbs of ACV+ infusion of thyme/rosemary and sage (hot but not boiled)
I let it sit for 10 hours more or less including 2 hours in bain marie in the rice cooker to warm it up gently: the mix is put in a pirex glass pudding bowl which is put in the bain marie in the rice cooker.
Then I apply the mix on the roots and sleep with it for 1 night
Then 2d step: 30g rajistani henna+20g indigo+ 20g boxus+10g amla+ 1 coffee spoon of salt mixed up in the same infusion as for 1st step henna mixture.
I keep it to sit for 2 hours, rince off and that's all!

RedWolf13
November 1st, 2011, 06:09 AM
I use Southland Soap Products (http://www.southlandsoap.com/about.html) and I love them!

Linda just recently developed a self-mixing henna and generously allowed me to be one of the testers. I can't say enough about her shampoo and body bars, either.

I "met" Linda about 10 years ago on a few different equine message boards, and then recently hooked-up with her on Facebook.

I have done the do-it-yourself henna mixing, but I like the ease of her stuff! :D

Sooze
November 2nd, 2011, 02:20 AM
Another one who uses Rajasthani henna. I used to mix it with orange juice and camomile tea but now I just use warm water and am happy with the mix. I get dye release in around 4 hours letting it sit at room temperature, which here in the north of England isn't that warm!

Heartwillfollow
November 2nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Punjabi Prime and Cassia 40/60 mix just doing roots, use distilled water warm, if I have tea will use it but not always. Alternate between henna mix and just straight full head cassia every 4 weeks.

KatCooke
November 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM
This week I mixed 300g Godrej Nupur Mehendi with very strongly brewed rooibos tea, a bunch of vatika coconut oil, a splash of acv, a squirt of honey, some paprika and cinnamon, about 15 drops of argan oil, and 25 drops of tea tree oil. I let it sit for about 4 hours while I went to work, came home, slopped about 1/3 on my head- the mixture was quite thick so I made sure to work it in really well. (I didn't dilute because I HATE drips) and left it on for about 6 hours. Rinsed it out using gobs of conditioner, and experienced a HUGE shed (that's normal right?)

Hair turned out a lovely auburn (natural color is dark brown)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/StregaDelleLuna/311355_2692560477620_1364761194_33116484_949388469 _n.jpg

rach
November 27th, 2011, 02:09 PM
yemeni henna with camomile tea (warm) and sometimes paprika

coffinhert
November 27th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I use 100% BAQ henna from hennasooq (I've used Jamila and Rajasthani). I brew chamomile tea, take the teabags out, and pour in the henna powder. I put in a spoon of honey or molasses, and a splash of olive oil. Then I stir it up until it's the consistency of runny yogurt. I like it on the thin side, not the thick side, makes it easier to apply. Then I let it sit in as warm a place as I can find for 8-12 hrs. Apply with gloves, put plastic over head, sleep overnight, wash out with 6-10 repeats of conditioner/rinse.

xgeckox
November 30th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I make up a big batch of BAQ henna in lemon juice, leave overnight for dye release and then freeze in single-use baggies. Nice and easy to thaw and use when I happen to have an afternoon free rather than having to prepare it the night before :)

diverbel
December 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Can someone please tell me what chamomile tea does for the henna? Does it change the color lighter? make it darker? what??? I am going to henna this weekend and I usually mix mine with black tea, but have a box of chamomile tea bags I was thinking of using!

Kamir0
December 2nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
100g of Jamila henna
2tsp AVC
Approx 1 cup warm water (more if needed to get consistency desired)
Let sit overnight...then add...
2Tbs honey
2tbs Cinnamon (yummy smell)
4Tbs Condish (makes the 100g go further due to my length and soft too)
Let sit on head for about 1.5-3 hrs :)
My hair too is very dark brown but you can see the red. And truly it is almost as if it looks lighter where the henna has coated the hair. (dont get me wrong I already know henna does not lighten), Hard to explain but my dark brown haired LHCers prob know what I mean about the illusion of it being lighter with the henna :) One of these days I will get some pix on here..lol!

Could it be that the cinnamon is lightening your hair?