PDA

View Full Version : Saturation point w henna

Buggheart
October 28th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Is there a point when henna will just not deposit any more color regardless of how much you apply it? I'm trying to get back to the color in my avatar over there on the left and just cannot get there. I've been using yemeni for ages and suddenly it's turning too light and orangey on me. Today I used rajasthani, full head, 4 hours, and I'm not seeing much difference (I know i need time to oxidize).

I can't even remember what I was using 2 years ago when I took that picture on the left. Maybe Lush marron. I'm thinking of trying that to see if it will help. Just kind of stumped here and I don't really want to start messing around with indigo, etc to make it darker so I'm thinking maybe I'm just at saturation point? My roots match my ends though so maybe not. This is frustrating me.

Added picture taken on Sunday. I realize it's from an Iphone and I'm sort of in the sun, but it's ridiculous looking.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/uglybugg/Hair.png

princesitamaria
October 28th, 2011, 03:52 PM
i think you should try a better quality and use a tea or a coffee to get it to be darker

cmg
October 28th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Yes, there is a saturation point with henna. Judging from the photo I wouldnt say you have reached it though.

Think like this: A henna with 2% lawsone is twice as colouring as another with 1%. So if you either switch to a stronger henna or do several treatments after each other, then you might go darker.

Its been said, that some people dont seem to reach a dark color when saturated though.

Or perhaps there have been sneaking in some grays, that you havent been noticing?

Buggheart
October 28th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I've been using yemeni and now rajasthani so I'm not sure what would be stronger. Do you have any recommendations? All I can think of is that the crop has changed over the years and is just not as strong. I do have a little grey but it's all at my front hairline, none over the rest of my hair. So strange.

JellyBene
October 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM
sorry to hijackthe thread but what exactly is saturation point?

Buggheart
October 28th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Sort of like a sponge. There's only so much water it can hold before it becomes saturated and won't hold any more. So with henna, there would be a point where you can keep doing repeated applications but it will never get darker.

Blond On Blond
October 28th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Rajasthani darkens a lot when it oxidizes, at least for me. Give it a chance before deciding on anything else.

Alvrodul
October 28th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Hm. I haven't noticed any darkening for a while, so I may well have reached the saturation point.
My hair really likes henna, too, and sucks it right up!:D

diverbel
October 28th, 2011, 07:39 PM
The 2011 crop of Jamilla BAQ has 2.64% lawsome content, maybe try that? I was using morroccan henna and it is orangy on me, so I tried the 2010 crop of Jamilla and man is it a dark color! I love it! I have the 2011 crop of it and will be using it next month when it is time to hit my roots, hoping it is awesome like the 2010 crop is! I like both of your pictures though, your hair is beautiful!

Oh I forgot to say that I use black tea steeped strong like 4 bags to a cup of distilled water and I am thinking that also helped the henna to get darker for me. It was dye released right at 2 hours...and the water/tea was just warm, not hot.

Dolly
October 28th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I believe that caca marron has indigo in it.....if that is what you were using then, that is probably why your color was deeper.

fairystar32
October 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Yes and I am hoping mine has LOL
I hate roots only applications and love the length effects of henna but really do not want anymore darkening.
I am swithcing to length glosses just incase.
Celebration from H4H was so strong it was like 3 applications of weaker henna in one go, is the yemen you use lighter? maybe switch to a really high dye content and see.
Never used lush, but that one has indigo in it, that will be why.. You will need to add indigo, to get the same colour.

Buggheart
October 29th, 2011, 06:49 AM
The rajasthani is darkening up a bit so I'm not going to jump just yet. But if it doesn't darken sufficiently, I'm going to try the Lush marron. I also had a possible revelation yesterday about water. When I started hennaing I lived in Michigan. Then I moved to Maryland where were were on a well, and now I live in the city where there is a distinct chlorine smell to the water. So perhaps it's all in the change in water and mineral content as well.

kdaniels8811
October 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I would suggest adding indigo if you want to go darker. I use a 50/50 mix but my hair is much darker than yours. Maybe start with 75% henna, 25% indigo and see if that gets you to the desired shade? Also, amla will help darken henna.