PDA

View Full Version : Stop Buxus Fading???

cheetahfast
October 25th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Has anyone found a mixture that slows buxus fading or makes it stick? I've searched everywhere and mine just doesn't seem to stick for long. It's given me a lovely brown color over a bad henna orange, I might post a thread about that later.

I only cowash a few times a week and it seems oiling and deep conditioning made most of the buxus come out after 2 washes. I'm not doing those anymore unless it's a few days before reapplying the buxus.

Unofficial_Rose
October 27th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I always had the same experiences when I used to use buxus. Lovely soft brown colour but it disappears in a couple of washes.

I gave up and went back to chem dyes. I guess anyone committed to using buxus would have to redo it once a fortnight.

laura85
October 28th, 2011, 04:12 AM
I would love the answer to this to!
I use a buxus/ cassia/ alma mix and I love the colour, I just wish it would stay :-(

cheetahfast
October 29th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Aw :(

I was hoping someone would have found a way to make it last. I find when it's mixed with cassia it fades slower. I don't think it completely washes out of my hair, but I'm not sure. I'm scared of going to long without redoing it since I don't like the color it begins to fade and revert to.

laura85
October 30th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I did mine on Friday and added a pinch of salt as I read that can help it stick, will let you know if its an improvement :-)

A couple of things I have thought about doing, not idea if it would work:
I use African black soap (liquid) to wash my hair, and have thought about adding a little buxus to that as for a little top up between dyes.
I like to oil my hair once a week, I might try mixing some buxus in with that.

I do love the colour, I've not been using it very long, hopefully there will be some colour build up over time.

cheetahfast
October 30th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Adding salt sounds like a good idea. I might try making some buxus oil too.

I read somewhere that leaving the buxus on for 5-6 hours makes it stick and not fade. I put a 60% buxus/40% cassia mix with a bit of oil and alma on my hair last night and slept with it on. The color looks the same as what I normally get. I tried to "seal" it with a vinegar rinse after. I hope it lasts this time!

laura85
November 2nd, 2011, 01:59 AM
Hope it lasts for you! Keep us updated :-)

cmg
November 2nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hmm, I dont think I have ever done buxus without cassia. Perhaps that is the secret? It has definitively stuck better than over two washes. And I dont recall using anything acidic at the same time. Amla is acidic. cheetahfast, let us know how it goes!

laura85
November 3rd, 2011, 12:30 AM
Thats interesting cmq. I also mix mine with yoghurt, is that acidic to?

cheetahfast
November 3rd, 2011, 06:27 AM

I don't think yogurt is acidic, I think it just has protein in it :hmm:

Hmm, I dont think I have ever done buxus without cassia. Perhaps that is the secret? It has definitively stuck better than over two washes. And I dont recall using anything acidic at the same time. Amla is acidic. cheetahfast, let us know how it goes!

I've always been using it with cassia. Once I did a gloss without it to see if it would last longer and it didn't. I add the amla right before I apply the mixture to my head, I'm pretty sure if it's added sooner the dye demises. I'm sure the oiling I did pulled the buxus out, I did it 2 nights after using it. I think it has to "settle," I've noticed that it looks browner after a few days.

I washed my hair in the tub yesterday and the water didn't turn any colors:cheese:!!! I hadn't noticed if it had before, but I'm taking that as a good sign! My hair still looks the same color too...I just want it to stick and tone done the henna permanently.

cmg
November 3rd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Yes.
The base for a youghurt has a pH-level of for example 1,04 or 4,35 which are extremely acidic*. This is mixed with milk which in itself has a high pH-level (=a base) and after completed production cycle it becomes different sour yoghurt type products, which may have different pH-levels. It differs, depending on brand and product. The "true" yoghurts are more acidic than the cream-mixtures sold in big buckets and called "turkish yoghurt" for example. So it depends on what "yoghurt" you use, but in most cases the answer is YES, they are acidic.

*Values collected from a big Swedish manufacturer

I add the amla right before I apply the mixture to my head, I'm pretty sure if it's added sooner the dye demises.
No, but the dye release would have been slowed down from that point, as any acidic addition would.

If the henna has dye released already, it can be pushed back again if you add something acidic. This has been tested with lemon juice. I dont know why someone would want to do this, but it works that way. Dye demise is "dead henna", thats something else.

laura85
November 4th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Thanks cmq! So if I understand this, they acid slows down the dye realise but doesn't stop it? Would it work mixed with oil?

cheetahfast
November 4th, 2011, 05:49 AM
No, but the dye release would have been slowed down from that point, as any acidic addition would.

If the henna has dye released already, it can be pushed back again if you add something acidic. This has been tested with lemon juice. I dont know why someone would want to do this, but it works that way. Dye demise is "dead henna", thats something else.

Oh. Hm, I must have gotten confused about what I read on henna for hair forum. I'm glad I left it on so long, since I didn't realize the dye release would be pushed back from it.

cmg
November 4th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks cmq! So if I understand this, they acid slows down the dye realise but doesn't stop it? Would it work mixed with oil?
You're welcome! Well, the current consensus seems to be that the dye release is delayed but not inhibited. What do you mean with "would it work with oil?"? I think everything you put in a paste will dilute it, but there is plenty of dye. A little oil makes the hair shine, but too much would perhaps be counterproductive, coating the hair and clogging it up. I have had good results from up to two tablespoons oil (almond oil mostly) per 100 gr henna powder (I usually have some cheap Indian or Pakistan henna). I dont usually put oil in the paste though. Others may have had other results or preferences. Everything goes, if your hair likes it!

cheetahfast
November 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
I know it hasn't been a full 4 weeks yet, but I wanted to update since I know I'll forget. It's been 3 weeks, 2 days.

I do not see much fading :) My hair is still brown, no orange tint has returned. I even deep oiled before last wash! I think I applied it enough times to get it to stay dark or leaving it on for so long worked :) I wish I could be more sure or specific.