PDA

View Full Version : Favorable results with a new oil?

nobeltonya
October 24th, 2011, 02:53 PM
So, I've been meaning to try olive, almond and castor oils, and I found one recently that has all of them so I decided to try it: Dabur Vatika olive enriched w/almond, cactus and lemon. It also has castor, mineral, RBD Palmolein [going to look up RBD..], RBD Canola, and Silicon oils. Smells wonderful, and after washing, conditioning and drying as usual, my hair is nice and soft [not always so with my coconut/amla mix]. It also feels more full, especially the ends, and is smoother than normal. Hopefully it'll continue to do this with repeated use. :)

Found RBD: "It is refined, bleached and deodorized form of palm oil which is extracted after crushing palm fruit." [*thinks* So, is that a good thing?]

lastnite
October 24th, 2011, 03:53 PM
some people don't like mineral oil since it can build up- but if it works for you then that's all that matters. so far I haven't had a problem with it if the product has enough good ingredients to outweigh the one so-so ingredient.

I'm not sure about the silcon oils; sounds like another names for silcones - again for some they build up, but if it works for you then it's fine :)

Ashenputtel
October 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM
some people don't like mineral oil since it can build up- but if it works for you then that's all that matters. so far I haven't had a problem with it if the product has enough good ingredients to outweigh the one so-so ingredient.

I'm not sure about the silcon oils; sounds like another names for silcones - again for some they build up, but if it works for you then it's fine :) My thoughts exactly. This mix doesn't belong in the natural section. Silicone are very transformed. Mineral oil means nothing from a vegetable source, most of the time it comes from petroleum. It can make the hair very waxy.

clematis
October 25th, 2011, 01:12 AM
all dabur oil products have mineral oil in them.

in india a lot of ready-'mixed' oil is always looked with suspicion among the true hair fanatics! unless you do the mixing yourself. of course a host of people do use them.

lots of ayurvedic products have chemicals - many companies never listed them - but i think now they have to - i still think they hide a few!

it is safer to go with single oils - coconut - almond etc & do the mixing yourself. it will be more natural.

MrsGuther
October 25th, 2011, 01:42 AM
OP, is your signature picture talking about what I think it's talking about? :/ eeek!

Blond On Blond
October 25th, 2011, 01:54 AM
all dabur oil products have mineral oil in them.

According to this site (and some others) this particular one doesn't contain mineral oil http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/products/Dabur-Vatika-Hair-Oil.html I'm tempted to try it out myself, since it's cheap and has excellent reviews all over the net.

Blond On Blond
October 25th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Nobeltonya, if it works for you - use it! Even though they don't work for everyone, neither mineral oil or silicones are damaging for hair.

DancingQueen
October 25th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I only tried castor oil once (my first attempt with oil) and it made my hare really nice and soft. I had no problems washing it out. :)

kyandii
October 25th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Lush Cosmetics - The Problem with Palm Oil (https://phoenix.lush.co.uk/content/view/250)
An interesting read. :)

clematis
October 25th, 2011, 03:06 AM
the dabur hair oils i've checked in stores here - do have mineral oil - including their amla oil

most ayurvedic products write key ingredients in bold & the others in fine print - some don't even mention the 'other' ingredients - if this site says no mineral oil then perhaps it doesnt have mineral oil.

Blond On Blond
October 25th, 2011, 03:31 AM
the dabur hair oils i've checked in stores here - do have mineral oil - including their amla oil

Most other Dabur products do indeed claim to have mineral oil, and we can only trust there's none in the one I mentioned above. It's not really a huge problem for me, since mineral oil is not on my "evil list", however, I've started hennaing and using amla and shikakai for cleansing and conditioning, and I would naturally prefer my hair oils to be free of any unnecessary fillers.

ktani
October 25th, 2011, 04:57 PM
So, I've been meaning to try olive, almond and castor oils, and I found one recently that has all of them so I decided to try it: Dabur Vatika olive enriched w/almond, cactus and lemon. It also has castor, mineral, RBD Palmolein [going to look up RBD..], RBD Canola, and Silicon oils. Smells wonderful, and after washing, conditioning and drying as usual, my hair is nice and soft [not always so with my coconut/amla mix]. It also feels more full, especially the ends, and is smoother than normal. Hopefully it'll continue to do this with repeated use. :)

Found RBD: "It is refined, bleached and deodorized form of palm oil which is extracted after crushing palm fruit." [*thinks* So, is that a good thing?]

RBD is fine. You are using this as a finishing oil and you like it. Your hair is softer and smoother. Mineral oil is fine too. The amount is not large, will not make you hair waxy and it will not hurt your hair one bit.

Any oil can build-up with overuse.

Enjoy the product and good luck!

ETA: The silicone oils are helping with slip and smoothness. No worries there either.

kaned_ferret
October 29th, 2011, 05:18 AM
OP, is your signature picture talking about what I think it's talking about? :/ eeek!

It's from Spaceballs, a very epic Star Wars spoof by Mel Brooks. They are of course only talking about their Schwarzes ;)