PDA

View Full Version : Indigo with amla?

earthymamawitch
October 23rd, 2011, 09:04 AM
i posted a few days ago about having issues getting my 2 step henndigo to go fully pitch black. I was given advice to use amla to brown out the henna and also to use it with the amla. other places i've read say that since indigo hates acid, that's a bad idea. I was wondering - how much should i add to the henna to darken it the most and get rid of the orange? and yes or no on using it with the indigo and if so what proportions?

Jenn

caribou55313
October 23rd, 2011, 08:53 PM
I use about 1/4 as much amla as henna, and use it as my acid in the henna mix (so just henna, amla, water, no other acid). It will then need to stand about 12 hours unless it is a fast releasing henna like Celebration, in which case only about 6 hours.

Adding amla directly to indigo will weaken the indigo. Check out strand #24:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/3615391706/in/set-72157619485710101

same strand tests after 10 days oxidation:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/3615394478/in/set-72157619485710101/

indigonight
October 24th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I have never used amla with henna but still aways managed to get pitch black indigo, I advise mixing salt (at least half a tablespoon per 100grams) and baking powder (I usually add a teaspoon- it will froth) into your indigo, leaving it on for 3 hours if possible will ensure darkness.

I used to only do about 2 hours though. I found being in a very hot environment, preferably steamy allows an optimum indigo development. I used to put my electric heater on full blast and mist the air, literally make my bedroom into a sauna for about an hour- making sure to spray the indigo if it dried out with hot water. I'd sit right by the heater making sure the indigo got heat all around. Then I'd sit in a very hot steamy bath for about an hour, then wash out using an alkaline rinse at the end. The bath bit is the best for indigo.

The best colour I ever got was on holiday in the tropics, I sat on my balcony by the sea and got pitch black in 35 minutes, but surely as it was so hot and steamy out.
So I'd say indigo, if you want it black, loves hot and steamy. I've also had great applications in a hammam. But those aren't always easy to access so make your own, at home and you'll see you will get a beautiful black. But remember once you go black you can't go back.

cmg
October 24th, 2011, 06:23 PM
The best colour I ever got was on holiday in the tropics, I sat on my balcony by the sea and got pitch black in 35 minutes, but surely as it was so hot and steamy out.
Wow!

Intresting to read about you adding BS like this. Could be a pH-level thing.

indigonight
November 7th, 2011, 03:07 PM
its a heat thing too....
How did it work out earthy?