PDA

View Full Version : Do you think salon shampoos & conditioners are worth the extra money?

Mina17
October 22nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
I used to use salon products back when I was coloring, blowdrying, and flatironing but didn't think they made my hair look any better than drugstore products. Of course, I obviously wasn't treating my hair very well so I'm sure that was a factor. Now I'm toying with the idea of going back to expensive salon products now that I'm not abusing my hair to see if they make a difference. I'm wondering what other people's opinions are on salon vs. drugstore products.

Dreah
October 22nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
Honestly, a lot of people get the best results with the cheapy Suave products for like, a dollar. I guess it all depends on whether your hair likes whatever is in the expensive products, ie cones, protein, a particular scent, etc.

xoxophelia
October 22nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
I don't think there is any such thing as a miracle hair product. What helps most is not doing damaging things.

Of course you also want a shampoo that doesn't dry out your hair and a conditioner that is enough so your hair doesn't tangle. The more expensive products sometimes smell really nice or do more to mask damage. I can't tell you if they are worth it compared to say a $4 product in any way other than smell.

Personally though I get by using cheaper products and I think it works just fine.

RitaPG
October 22nd, 2011, 06:31 PM
I get along better with the cheaper, drugstore products.
There was a time when I really wanted to believe the salon stuff worked better (after all, who wants to buy expensive products and find out they do not work?) but I've found out that it's not the price, but the ingredients that count, and salon products are very good for a short period of time, but after 2 or 3 uses they'll cause a massive amount of buildup. At least on me they do.
These days I go for mild, moisturizing shampoos and conditioners, and use something more natural like oil or butter to give my hair a boost in moisture, and that's all I need. And my ends are old and damaged from dyes, but nobody would say it from looking at my hair.
If drugstore products work for you, then that's what you should use =]

MinderMutsig
October 22nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
A lot of salon products have a lot of cones (at least here they do) and my hair hates cones so I think the salon products are very overpriced. I wouldn't use most of it if I got it for free.

But if you can find a salon product that agrees with your hair then by all means, use it! There is nothing wrong with spending a little money on yourself and the luxury aspect is worth something as well.

Mina17
October 22nd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Two things I have read are that salon products have higher amounts of beneficial ingredients and that salon shampoos are gentler and less drying. However, I have found a lot of salon shampoos that contain sulfates just like many drugstore brands so I'm wondering if that's really true.

spidermom
October 22nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Shampoo? No, I don't think so, especially considering that I dilute everything.

Conditioner? I'm not sure, but probably.

Delila
October 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
I seem to have better results with the mid range salon products.

I'm sensitive to fragranced products, so my choices are limited to those that don't leave much scent in my hair.

irishlady
October 22nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
No I don't, in fact they're worse for my hair. I'll just stick with my shampoo bars and some cheap conditioner thank you :)

Diamond.Eyes
October 23rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
The shampoo's are so not worth the money, but I can say from experience (my sister and aunt are both hair dressers, so I get to try a lot of products out) that the conditioner is definitely worth the price. As far as salon quality products go, I recommend anything by Alterna or TIGI.

Ashenputtel
October 23rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
I used salon products for years with ok results, except for redken which was AWFUL. Since discovering this forum I changed my routine and my hair quality has improved a LOT. I now love Live clean brand which is a silicone-paraben-sulphate free brand available in drugstores. I now get compliments on the quality of my hair. I will never go back to my old products. Now I'm switching to even more natural brands available for refill.

Honestly, salon brand are usually full of cones. They give the illusion of healthy hair for a while. Some hair masks are great but I don't want to give my money to cosmetic empires anymore. I prefer independant brands.

PixxieStix
October 23rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
I have to say, I am still experimenting. I love Aveda's rosemary mint shampoo, and since I only shampoo my scalp every two weeks or so, I like to spend the extra money on that. I've been using Suave Naturals coconut conditioner, but have found that CO washing with that seems to build up residue on my hair. I am thinking of trying VO5 when my bottle runs out, and if that doesn't work then maybe try a salon brand conditioner as well. And if that doesn't work out, well then, I'll give mid range oil shampooing a try. So, yes if it is the right brand? :)

fairystar32
October 23rd, 2011, 08:13 PM
I always used salon products with amazing results and still do when I have the cash as my local one has a great range with a brand with no cones, sulphates etc..

fairystar32
October 23rd, 2011, 08:14 PM
I also used the cheap supermarket organic ones and they were dreadful for both mine and DD hair, I prefer paying for better quality. we use now from the salon or health shop.

MaryRose
October 23rd, 2011, 08:18 PM
Nope, I bought some and it nothing special for my hair. I use mane n tail now, and I am very happy with it.

racrane
October 24th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I used my mom's salon brands as a teenager and I can say my hair looks happier and better with my VO5 products. Everyone is different, but I'd rather spend one dollar on a bottle than $30 .

nobeltonya
October 24th, 2011, 09:44 AM
IDK, I personally wouldn't spend the money. I like Sunsilk shampoo [$6.99 at Indian Grocery; need to find the conditioner] and V05 Conditioner [$0.75 at Wal-Mart], and my hair loves them.

Carolyn
October 24th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I use both with good results. I love Garnier Fructis products. I use cheapie stuff for CO washing. I like salon brand conditioners most of the time. Aveda and Kiehls are my favorites but I also use Redken and Biolage.

isabelx
October 24th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Nope, I used to spend ridiculous amounts of money on expensive salon products presuming they'd be great because of the price. I'm sure they just have the same ingredients as regular products and are usually full of cones. I much prefer buying products suited for my hair, and £1.99 supermarket own conditioner!

Amber_Maiden
October 24th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I personally don't think so. I feel i spend enough on organic health store Co and the like and don't need designer organic stuff...

MychelleC
October 24th, 2011, 04:40 PM
No, salon products are not better. Look at it this way: L'Oreal owns Kerastase, L'Oreal at the drugstore, Garnier Fructise, and Oscar Blandi. If you look at the ingredients these products all contain the same things. They are selling the same product at every price point and making a lot of money doing it. It's all marketing; the same surfactants, proteins, silicones, etc, are in every product and formulations are pretty standard throughout the industry.

ETA: The same holds true for make-up. L'Oreal owns Lancome, L'Oreal at the drugstore, Maybelline, and Wet 'n' Wild (and more). Notice that when one line comes out with an "amazing" new product every line comes out with something similar at their respective price point. It's the same damn product! Same products, same ingredients, same formulations at every price point.

Orangerthanred
October 25th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Nope. None of it. Salon products are just tons of silicone and random ingredients. The few times I use salon products my hair looks terrible and puffy.

I can get superior results with 99 cent conditioner from the drugstore and a few drops of canola oil.

starlamelissa
October 25th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Some salon stuff rocks, some doesn't.

I buy items based on scent ( I'm sensitive), ingredients ( thick and cone laden if you please on the con dish!) and price.

So, it's a mix of things I use. I use Paul mitchel the conditioner ( it's a leave in) and red ken smooth down heat glide serum.

I use suave or baby aquaphor, diluted for shampoo.

I use biologe conditioning balm or tresseme smooth and silky as condish.

Mrs. D
October 25th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Not a salon fan anymore. Used to buy every product my hair dresser pushed. Now no hair dresser and no pressure. Plus now that I only wash my hair a couple times a week things go a long time. Example: Morrocanoil a $45 bottle of nice smelling cones that freaked my hair out.
Nightblooming Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil $15 for lovely smelling and feeling natural ingredients.
Shannon

Kyla
October 25th, 2011, 08:20 PM
No, salon products are not better. Look at it this way: L'Oreal owns Kerastase, L'Oreal at the drugstore, Garnier Fructise, and Oscar Blandi. If you look at the ingredients these products all contain the same things. They are selling the same product at every price point and making a lot of money doing it. It's all marketing; the same surfactants, proteins, silicones, etc, are in every product and formulations are pretty standard throughout the industry.

ETA: The same holds true for make-up. L'Oreal owns Lancome, L'Oreal at the drugstore, Maybelline, and Wet 'n' Wild (and more). Notice that when one line comes out with an "amazing" new product every line comes out with something similar at their respective price point. It's the same damn product! Same products, same ingredients, same formulations at every price point.

That was fascinating to read, thank you for posting that! :)

I've never used salon products except recently, when my mom gave me a (huge) tube of Paul Mitchell conditioner because she didn't like it. I despise it, the consistency is weird and I hate the smell....but I have to admit it works fine and is fairly (not spectacularly) moisturizing. I keep it at work as an emergency conditioner, if I have to jump in the pool to save someone.

I love V05. Always have. :) Aussie is pretty good too.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 25th, 2011, 09:16 PM
The only "salon" grade product my hair seemed to like was Paul Mitchell's instant moisture daily treatment, which at the size i bought about 6 fl oz, is the same price as most products I buy. About 5.00 on Amazon.
Ingredients: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methylsulfate, Isododecane, Isohexadecane, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Stearalkonium Chloride, Ceteareth-20, Panthenol, Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit (Shea Butter), Tocopheryl Acetate, Cinnamidopropyl Trimonium Chloride, Bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3 Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone, Hedychium Coronarium Extract (White Ginger), PEG 12 Dimethicone, Algae (Seaweed) Extract, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Extract (Anthemis Nobilis), Lawsonia Inermis Extract (Henna), Simmondsia Chinensis Extract (Jojoba), Rosmarinus Officinalis Extract (Rosemary), Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Fragrance (Parfum) (Parfum), Linalool

A few cones.
But I dont notice a difference between the state of my hair as when I used that product, or when I use Suave now.

LocustSpawning
October 26th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Conditioner, definitely. I went from using regular drugstore conditioners and tried out a salon one just to see.. and it is miles better!! I barely use any oil on my damp hair now and it's as soft as when I had to use quite a lot.

Othala
October 26th, 2011, 04:36 AM
It's all down to how an individual product formulation reacts with your individual scalp and hair. You could get great or poor results from either salon or cheap products. There is no definite answer.

SunnyRainStorm
October 26th, 2011, 04:37 AM
I don't think salon products are worth the extra but I can tell a BIG difference in super cheap such as Suave verses mid-price such as Aussie and Herbal Essence for my hair. I had better use a better brand of shampoo and conditioner because the super cheap stuff makes my hair a dry and tangled mess.

Pixie0763
October 26th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I CO, and I recently found Simply U at Wal Mart. It's cheap, sulfate free, & paraben free. So far I haven't been able to tell a difference between this and $28 bottles of comparable conditioner.