PDA

View Full Version : Henna strand test - didn't take :(

infinity_girl
October 21st, 2011, 02:33 AM
I did a strand test with some Mehendi henna yesterday and it doesn't seem to have taken at all. I asked my husband this morning if he could see the strand and he said he couldn't. Neither could I :(. I mixed it with lemon juice and left it overnight as per the instructions and put it on for 2 hours. I have about 6-10 inches of virgin hair and the bottom 10 inches are hair that I dyed a sort of rustic red with a box dye a couple of years ago (but I had been dying my hair red for quite a few years with box dyes).

Why would the henna not have taken? Also I am a bit worried that if it does take, then the bottom section with the box dye residue will be a bright orange and the top will be a more muted auburn. What do I do? I don't want to cut any hair and I don't want to damage the virgin hair. I just want it to be all one colour (preferably a henna rustic red).

Roscata
October 21st, 2011, 01:41 PM
Hello! Sorry you're having trouble with henna. Some hair is resistant to coloring, some hair is resistant to henna. I'd say try leaving it on the test strand for longer, like 6-12 hours, and see what happens then. Good luck! :D

ETA: Also try looking at the strand in sunlight. Henna really shines through in sunlight.

lokiveil
October 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM
infinity-girl...... The henna may have not actually had dye release when you out it on. If you notice, a lot of the women here who mix their henna with lemon juice will let it sit for 8-12 hours..... The time really depends on the temperature of your house. It could very well be that the henna dye released after you had already washed it off :(

I would suggest doing another strand test, this time let the henna sit over night, and then put it on the strand for 6-8 hours...... I would also suggest mixing up another small portion and checking that every hour after it sitting all night to see at what time past mixing the actual dye release happens :)

infinity_girl
October 22nd, 2011, 03:22 AM
infinity-girl...... The henna may have not actually had dye release when you out it on. If you notice, a lot of the women here who mix their henna with lemon juice will let it sit for 8-12 hours..... The time really depends on the temperature of your house. It could very well be that the henna dye released after you had already washed it off :(

I would suggest doing another strand test, this time let the henna sit over night, and then put it on the strand for 6-8 hours...... I would also suggest mixing up another small portion and checking that every hour after it sitting all night to see at what time past mixing the actual dye release happens :)

Hi, sorry I don't think I made it clear in my first post. I did mix it with lemon and leave it overnight (for almost 24 hours). I think I just need to try again. Perhaps I just had too much residue on my hair. Will try again tonight (henna freshly prepared last night). Thanks for your advice though!

Dolly
October 22nd, 2011, 07:52 AM
First, did you test the henna for dye release? Conditions can vary, so your henna may have had dye demise before you put your strands in it. Always test it on your hand. If it leaves a bright orange stain, you are good to go.

Second, from the color of your hair in your avatar, I am not sure that henna would show up much at all. There is no way you would get bright orange on the ends....your hair is simply too dark. The most you would get is a red glow in the sun.

infinity_girl
October 22nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
First, did you test the henna for dye release? Conditions can vary, so your henna may have had dye demise before you put your strands in it. Always test it on your hand. If it leaves a bright orange stain, you are good to go.

Second, from the color of your hair in your avatar, I am not sure that henna would show up much at all. There is no way you would get bright orange on the ends....your hair is simply too dark. The most you would get is a red glow in the sun.

I just did my henna and it took this time. My hair is not quite as dark as the photo (more a mid brown). My ends were a bit lighter already from red box dyes. Will post a photo in natural light tomorrow.

Thanks for all your advice!

Roscata
October 22nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
I just did my henna and it took this time. My hair is not quite as dark as the photo (more a mid brown). My ends were a bit lighter already from red box dyes. Will post a photo in natural light tomorrow.

Thanks for all your advice!

Awesome! I'm glad your henna worked this time. Did you figure out why it didn't show results teh first time?

Also, you're welcome! :D

infinity_girl
October 22nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
Awesome! I'm glad your henna worked this time. Did you figure out why it didn't show results teh first time?

Also, you're welcome! :D

I think it was probably that my hair had some residue left on it (I put it on dry hair for the strand test). This time I put it on towel-dried hair.

lokiveil
October 25th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Ah, so you may want to try clarifying before you henna to get the best results :) Can't wait to see pics!