PDA

View Full Version : Henna not working

naturegirl321
October 3rd, 2011, 11:21 PM
I've hennaed my hair about 5 times since January. I bought henna off Amazon, pure henna as well. Have tried it with
OJ
grape juice
ACV
water

nothing seems to work. My hair is dark brown and although there are a few reddish highlights, nothing major has happened. The condition seems to have improved, but not the colour.

Any tips for making it more reddish? I leave it on for 4 hours.

katsrevenge
October 3rd, 2011, 11:24 PM
Leave it on longer? Make sure you clarify first, maybe, and use a mix meant to intensify the red.

Sad thing is though, from what I read, henna can only add red but if you are too dark, all you get are highlights. How dark is your hair?

Khiwanean
October 4th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Have you seen how your hair looks in direct sunlight? It may look brown in other lights, but the red should be more apparent in direct sunlight. Any idea how old the henna you bought was? If the henna is pretty old and may or may not have been stored in the best manner it may not have particularly good dye content anymore. Does your mix look more brownish once it's dye released?

Also, katsrevenge is right, the red likely won't show up as well on dark hair.

CaityBear
October 4th, 2011, 12:16 AM
If your hair is brown there won't be a huge difference. The lighter your hair, the bigger the chance.

Could be also that the henna is old or your hair is just resistant? My friend can't get henna to stick in her hair no matter how hard she tries.

ccmso12
October 4th, 2011, 12:53 AM
What brand/ make and model did you buy?

naturegirl321
October 4th, 2011, 02:37 AM
It's a dark brown. Leave it on longer than 4 hours? How long? It gets pretty hard after 4 hours, maybe I should try dampening it throughout. This is the brand
http://www.amazon.com/Powder-Jaipur-Rajasthan-natural-CALIFORNIA/dp/B002QHB51S/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1317717443&sr=8-7

Just bought it in Jan

Mix is brownish, but if you move it, underneath it's green.

tigereye
October 4th, 2011, 03:23 AM
My hair is a real dark brown, and in normal lights is doesn't look much different to me. Or at least until I hold up a lock of natural hair I used to use for comparison in strand tests and see that it is actually redder now. I do notice quite a different colour in direct sun, though. I have only fully applied once though, with Jamilla 2011 and warm water (5 hours).
I did quite a few glosses before, but they never left much colour.

I think it's just hard to make much of a difference if you have dark hair. I'm thinking multiple long applications will redden my hair up more, but if you've already hennaed 5 times, I'm not sure you're going to get much further.
There is a possibility of the henna being too old. You could try just getting one applications worth of a brand you know is from this year. You should try leaving a spot of your current mix on the back of your wrist (or another inconspicuous spot), and see how much colour change it actually gives you. Mine leaves a reasonable orange mark after only a minute or two after dye release. If there's plenty of colour change, it's likely your hair is just too dark, or resistant against the henna dye.
Also, if your henna is drying out, do you put plastic wrap over it? The henna needs to be wrapped to stop the water evaporating. If so, then maybe add more water to the initial mix, and apply to damp hair? You get more drips, but my henna doesn't dry out as much this way.

mrs_coffee
October 4th, 2011, 03:28 AM
My hair is dark brown and I don't notice a lot of difference in regular light. I have to be in sunlight to really notice the red.

Natural color:
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/tackyblueeyeshadow/Hair/Hair_040511.jpg

Hennaed lots of times w/Moroccan from Henna Sooq in the same light:
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/tackyblueeyeshadow/Hair/Hair_090111-2.jpg

In direct sunlight:
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/tackyblueeyeshadow/Hair/tmpphpGDHBas.jpg

luxepiggy
October 4th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I notice your location is listed as Korea - are you ethnically Korean? If so it's unlikely that you're going to get super vibrant red tones. Most East Asian hair is just too dark to really pick up much visible red from henna, I think.

naturegirl321
October 4th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I notice your location is listed as Korea - are you ethnically Korean? If so it's unlikely that you're going to get super vibrant red tones. Most East Asian hair is just too dark to really pick up much visible red from henna, I think.

Nope, ethnically European, though I've passed for SIngaporean :)

GRU
October 4th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I'm another who agrees that brown hair won't show much red.

Henna is translucent, which means the original color will shine through the redness. If the original color is blonde, then blonde will show through the red and show up as an orange/red color. If the original color is dark, then the dark will show through the red and show up as a dark color.

Think of it this way -- take a bowl of vanilla pudding and a bowl of dark chocolate/fudge pudding (the really dark kind, not the lighter brown kind). Put ten drops of red food coloring on top of each and stir. The vanilla will turn pinkish and maybe look like strawberry yogurt, but the chocolate pudding will still look like chocolate pudding.

Or take a white sheet of paper and a black sheet of paper. Write your name with a yellow marker on each. The yellow will show up on the white paper, but not much, if at all, on the black paper. You'd have to bleach the color out of the black paper in order to be able to see the yellow marks... and henna works the same way.

Dolly
October 4th, 2011, 04:24 PM
It's a dark brown. Leave it on longer than 4 hours? How long? It gets pretty hard after 4 hours, maybe I should try dampening it throughout.

Are you allowing the henna to dry on your head? Henna should not be allowed to dry out. You should really cover it with something like an old vinyl shower cap or even Plastic Wrap, and then cover that with a towel or something (I use a knit cap). That way it stays moist and your body heat will help it take.

I agree with checking for dye release. You cannot go by the color of the paste. Check it on your skin. If you have a good orange stain, it is ready.

naturegirl321
October 5th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I wrap my hair in plastic, then put a shower cap on it, then a knit cap. It still gets hard though :(

Dolly
October 5th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I wrap my hair in plastic, then put a shower cap on it, then a knit cap. It still gets hard though :(

Maybe try applying to damp hair?

naturegirl321
October 5th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Ok, will dry damp hair tonight.

Dolly
October 6th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Ok, will dry damp hair tonight.

Here's another thought.....do you have any products in your hair that could inhibit the dye uptake? Try clarifying before you apply. Some people with henna resistant hair say they get better results if the clarify and don't use conditioner before they apply the henna......

cheetahfast
October 6th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I have light-medium brown hair and henna-ed this weekend. The henna doesn't really show up on my brown hair, it's noticeable on my formerly golden blonde streaks.

MeMyselfandI
October 6th, 2011, 10:09 AM
It's a dark brown. Leave it on longer than 4 hours? How long? It gets pretty hard after 4 hours, maybe I should try dampening it throughout. This is the brand
http://www.amazon.com/Powder-Jaipur-Rajasthan-natural-CALIFORNIA/dp/B002QHB51S/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1317717443&sr=8-7

Just bought it in Jan

Mix is brownish, but if you move it, underneath it's green.

naturegirl,

I do not know about this henna.

Henna from different areas has different dye content.

The fresher the henna the better. How have you stored the henna powder?

Before you put the henna on your hair do you put some on your skin to see how much of the dye is already released? Different hennas require different amount of time for dye release.

Before using henna, I always wash my scalp and hair with a clariying shampoo and I do NOT use conditioner. I towel dry my hair, and leave it damp to put on the henna.

Another point, maybe your henna is not liquidy enough that it gets hard. Is it properly mixed with no lumps at all?

Edit to add: I always leave my henna in for at least four hours. After that depends if I made the henna to runny. The first couple of times it was at least 6 hours and overnight.

Edit to add:
Where does it get hard? - If I did not put the plastic wrap lower on my neck, I find some hard lumps at the back of my neck. Another place for the hard lumps, by the front of my ears. Do you seal the plastic tight so no moisture escapes. I think the dryier the hair the more lumps will appear as the hair pulls the moisture from the henna paste.

naturegirl321
October 6th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Here's another thought.....do you have any products in your hair that could inhibit the dye uptake? Try clarifying before you apply. Some people with henna resistant hair say they get better results if the clarify and don't use conditioner before they apply the henna......

Nope, nothing. I did an AC rinse last night. And I have been brewing the henna for a long time. I used chamomile tea, sugar, and grape juice.

naturegirl,

I do not know about this henna.

Henna from different areas has different dye content.

The fresher the henna the better. How have you stored the henna powder?

Before you put the henna on your hair do you put some on your skin to see how much of the dye is already released? Different hennas require different amount of time for dye release.

Before using henna, I always wash my scalp and hair with a clariying shampoo and I do NOT use conditioner. I towel dry my hair, and leave it damp to put on the henna.

Another point, maybe your henna is not liquidy enough that it gets hard. Is it properly mixed with no lumps at all?

Edit to add: I always leave my henna in for at least four hours. After that depends if I made the henna to runny. The first couple of times it was at least 6 hours and overnight.

Edit to add:
Where does it get hard? - If I did not put the plastic wrap lower on my neck, I find some hard lumps at the back of my neck. Another place for the hard lumps, by the front of my ears. Do you seal the plastic tight so no moisture escapes. I think the dryier the hair the more lumps will appear as the hair pulls the moisture from the henna paste.

It's been stored in the top shelf of my kitchen in the plastic bag it came in. I've also made it VERY liquidy and am going to dampen my hair with the top watery part. And then put a plastic bag, then doo rag, then knit cap on. Going to forgo the shower cap and see what happens. It gets hard all over. I'm goign to have to pu tthe plastic baggie on tighter I think.

I used conditioner last night, so guess I'll wash my hair again without. I'll try a test. Usually I just wait 8 hours and put it on. But hennapage.com says dye release takes about 24 hours at 20 degrees.

I usually leave it on for 4 hours.

naturegirl321
October 7th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I let the henna sit for about 20 hours before putting it on. Did a test on the palm of my hand and there was dye release. I left it on my head for about 6.5 hours. It wasn't dry when I COed it off, though it wasn't really red either. It's straighter and feels thicker than when I've done it before, so that's something.

GRU
October 7th, 2011, 12:14 PM
nothing seems to work. My hair is dark brown and although there are a few reddish highlights, nothing major has happened. The condition seems to have improved, but not the colour.

Any tips for making it more reddish? I leave it on for 4 hours.

I let the henna sit for about 20 hours before putting it on. Did a test on the palm of my hand and there was dye release. I left it on my head for about 6.5 hours. It wasn't dry when I COed it off, though it wasn't really red either. It's straighter and feels thicker than when I've done it before, so that's something.

I don't know how many other ways to say this, so I'll try the blunt way:

HENNA WILL NOT MAKE DARK HAIR A LIGHT SHADE OF RED.

If you want red hair, you need to bleach out the dark brown first. Then if you want to keep the red hair, you'll need to continue to bleach your roots, then apply henna to the roots.

Just the title of this thread shows that you don't "get it" -- Your henna IS working -- it just won't do what you want it to do because you're asking it to do something that it wasn't designed to do.

It's almost like you're buying clear varnish and slapping it onto a brown wall and wanting it to look yellow when you're done... henna cannot and will not lighten your dark hair. No matter how many coats of varnish you slap onto your wall, it will never look look yellow, and no matter how many times you apply henna or how many hours/days you leave it on, it will never lighten your dark hair.

lastnite
October 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM
looking at your profile photo, it looks like your hair is almost black so you won't get bright red. maybe other dark hairs can chime in if a high dye content henna might get you to dark cherry/wine or very dark burgundy shade at the most?

Dolly
October 7th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Uh....yeah, I just looked at your profile photo as well.....with your color being almost BLACK, I don't think you will get red. AT ALL. Unless you bleach it first.

naturegirl321
October 7th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I don't know how many other ways to say this, so I'll try the blunt way:

HENNA WILL NOT MAKE DARK HAIR A LIGHT SHADE OF RED.

If you want red hair, you need to bleach out the dark brown first. Then if you want to keep the red hair, you'll need to continue to bleach your roots, then apply henna to the roots.

Just the title of this thread shows that you don't "get it" -- Your henna IS working -- it just won't do what you want it to do because you're asking it to do something that it wasn't designed to do.

Don't want a light red, just the red that Indians get by hennaeing there hair. Kind of like lastnite says, a burgundy colour. I do "get" it. It must be the henna. HOw do my Korean friends henna their hair? Works for them, without bleach as well. I'll have to buy some more henna, different henna, and try it.

looking at your profile photo, it looks like your hair is almost black so you won't get bright red. maybe other dark hairs can chime in if a high dye content henna might get you to dark cherry/wine or very dark burgundy shade at the most?

Uh....yeah, I just looked at your profile photo as well.....with your color being almost BLACK, I don't think you will get red.

Oh, my profile pix :flower: has been photoshopped to death. You just can't get regular photos taken here. My hair is dark brown. Not black. They made me look more Koraen. Black hair and my eyes aren't that shape either. I don't know why. That's just the way the do things here.

MeMyselfandI
October 8th, 2011, 09:06 AM

naturegirl,

My guess would be that the henna is conditioning your hair but the henna is not fresh enough anymore, or maybe the type of henna does not have the dye content needed.

I do know that older henna will still condition hair but will not dye enough even if were a good henna.

As to your previous post, I am do not know how warm your kitchen gets. I keep my henna in a freezer even as a powder. I am not sure if it needs to be in a freezer or just kept in a cool dry place.

MeMyselfandI
October 8th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Don't want a light red, just the red that Indians get by hennaeing there hair. Kind of like lastnite says, a burgundy colour. I do "get" it. It must be the henna. HOw do my Korean friends henna their hair? Works for them, without bleach as well. I'll have to buy some more henna, different henna, and try it.

Oh, my profile pix :flower: has been photoshopped to death. You just can't get regular photos taken here. My hair is dark brown. Not black. They made me look more Koraen. Black hair and my eyes aren't that shape either. I don't know why. That's just the way the do things here.

Can you ask other Korean women what type of henna they use and where they get their henna from.

If you can order from USA, consider ordering from Hennasooq.com. I have been happy with the quality of their henna.

LaurelSpring
October 8th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I have med. brown hair and as the others have said its only really noticeable in sunlight. I love the shine and condition it gives me. The ends of my hair have turned that cherry cola color from years of application. So you can keep at it and let it build up to that however it will continue to look darker and darker if you do.

Neecola
October 8th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I agree with clarifying before applying the henna. I have been using henna for a year and I just did this the first time last week and it really made a difference. I didn't follow up with conditioner, just an ACV rinse. I think the natural oils of the scalp (or condish) keep the henna from attaching.

Also, regular ACV rinses tend to really bring out the red.

Maktub
October 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I agree with others about the very small change you will see on dark hair...

Also, remember that the more you apply henna (5 times is already a lot !), the darker (and therefore the less "orange-red" highlights) you will get ;)

julierockhead
October 8th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Dye release is different per batch of henna - my henna gives good dye release with water and a little splash of ACV at room temp in less than two hours. Test it by putting a dab on your palm, it's ready if the dab leaves an orange spot after a few seconds of sitting on our skin.

1. Get the freshest dye you can
2. Check often for dye release
3. Have hair clarified and ready and apply at dye release
4. Leave on overnight or longer.
5. Do not let it dry out - get a shower cap or plastic elasticized hair cap used in salons, and cover that with a hat or two.

That should give you your best henna application.

lastnite
October 8th, 2011, 08:06 PM
when you look at it in direct sunlight there should be some orange or red shine/glistening, especially right after, I think... have you checked? that way you know if it's alteast putting some dye in your hair

Breaca
October 8th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Glad to hear you had a better result this time.

When I wrap my head with plastic I always use saran wrap so I get it close tightly to the head, and i pat it down all over so there is no air in there!

I also wanted to add the henna could be old, perhaps try buying some from a source recommended by others on this site?

good luck.

PixxieStix
October 8th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Is lemon juice more acidic than OJ, because if it is, I'd try using that to get the darn stuff to stick to your hair instead of mixing with water and grape juice or other various liquids. The acidity should help with the uptake, especially if you re-try with a good quality, fresh crop of BAQ henna.

And I too am glad to hear the results turned out better this time. My natural hair color is a medium/dark auburn, and I bleached my hair first before applying henna to get the color I have, which is still darker than what I was going for, lol! I've decided just to henna over my natural color to increase the red, but sadly I'm just going to have to accept that I will never have my baby brother's bright "carrot top" red hair.

Although, has anyone ever tried to naturally lighten their hair with cinnamon for a couple months before applying henna to get it a brighter color? I don't know if doing that and then applying a henna treatment would help get a brighter red color for you since you have dark hair, but maybe it's worth looking into?

Badwolf
October 9th, 2011, 12:06 AM

My hair is dark brown. I have done two full henna treatments and two henna glosses on my hair. Indoors, my hair is still dark brown. Outdoors in sunlight, I get a more burgundy color, but it still mostly leans towards dark brown.

naturegirl321
October 9th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Yes, I'm goign to try another source for buying henna. I've got to use up what I have now. Intl postage is expensive and there's too much risk involved, so I'll probably wait until next summer to buy more.

archel
October 9th, 2011, 02:07 PM
My hair is dark brown and it pretty much just gives it an auburn highlight when I'm in direct sun. It has turned my gray hairs red, but I don't have many of those. I don't mind the subtle difference since the change in my texture is amazing.