PDA

View Full Version : cassia with henna?

Breaca
October 3rd, 2011, 09:03 AM
Hi, I know there are a few posts on mixing henna and cassia but I want to ask about it - if i make a mix of mainly cassia and a tiny amount of henna, will it change the colour much if at all?

My hair is quite damaged from over colouring and processing, and having used henna before I know it gives good condition so I am very tempted to use some.
I don't mind a very slight tint of red, in fact it might look nice, but I don't want a dark obvious red. My hair is dyed brunette at the moment.

GRU
October 3rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Hi, I know there are a few posts on mixing henna and cassia but I want to ask about it - if i make a mix of mainly cassia and a tiny amount of henna, will it change the colour much if at all?

My hair is quite damaged from over colouring and processing, and having used henna before I know it gives good condition so I am very tempted to use some.
I don't mind a very slight tint of red, in fact it might look nice, but I don't want a dark obvious red. My hair is dyed brunette at the moment.

It doesn't take much henna at all to get some pretty strong color, IME.

My mix is only about 15-20% henna, and it gets pretty darn orange!

Save your shed hair and strand test to be sure before doing it to your whole head.

sweet*things
October 3rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
I think it depends on the condition of your hair, your hair color, and how long you leave the mixture on your hair. If it is already brunette, it probably won't show much more than a slight reddish glow in the sun, especially if you do it as a gloss (mixed with conditioner to dilute further).

I just did two 2/3 cassia, 1/3 henna glosses last week and have almost no color change. Nobody in my family even noticed, it's that subtle. However I only left it on my hair for about 45 mins each time and I'm not sure I waited long enough for dye release of the henna in the first place (I'm very impatient :o ). I want a little color, so I'm going to do 50/50 cassia/henna next time and make sure I wait for dye release before applying. My hair is light brown.

I've read more than one person write that the damaged parts of their hair pick up more color from henna, so I guess it's possible that as the brown dye on your hair fades out more red would show.

Breaca
October 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
thanks very much for the advice everyone.

I will bear in mind about the damaged hair holding onto more henna.

I'm definitely going to try a strand test...wish me luck!