View Full Version : Jamila or Rajasthani? I can't decide!

haharobots
September 28th, 2011, 06:17 PM
The results of my strand tests were negligible.

I have three apps of Yemeni on my length, and not enough new growth at the root to make a determination of which gives a cooler red. I wish I had tested some of my kitties orange fur, but oh well. It doesn't make much difference over my dark brown anyway, I mainly need the conditioning.

BUT - is one powder easier to use over the other, in terms of application or rinsing? I never had problems with the Yemeni, even though its supposed to be stringy.

Thoughts, musings?

ETA: assume Yemeni is not available. (I only want to order from HennaSooq)

swearnsue
September 28th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I like all the henna's colors. I found the Yemeni to be just a bit gritty, just a tiny bit. This is compared to Jamilla that is absolutely smooth. Not a grit bit in it.

littlestarface
September 28th, 2011, 07:00 PM
My favorite is yemeni but my second fave would have to be jamila I get great color from them both and they both work awesome too! The best I have tried.

Fethenwen
September 29th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I'm just here to say that I will be watching this thread because I'm also still a bit undecided on which henna I will buy next :drama:

Jamilla, Yemeni, Rajasthani and Maroccan are the ones I'm still pondering about with.

Mythica
September 29th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Definitely also going to try to watch this thread. I've been planning to go with HennaForHair's Red kit in hopes of being able to get the brightest true red I could (or at least a burgundy, considering wine might be involved--read that how you will :laugh: ), but extra info is always excellent.

rowie
September 29th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I've tried the Rajasthani twilight from mehandi.com, and I was impressed with the color. For my dark brown hair it gave me a rich cherry red in the beginning, and then oxidizes to a rich burgundy color, it looks really pretty when the sun hits my hair. I used it with buxus (katam) and It gave me a rich crimson reddish brown effect in the sun.

As for washing, It was kind of smooth, but I had mixed it with buxus so maybe I had a hard time washing because of the buxus. I am curious to know about Jamila in comparison to Rajasthani. Is Jamila really smooth? Is it really strong enough to loosen curls? With Rajasthani, I found it to be a strong formulation because it loosened my waves and especially my frizzies. I now don't have frizzy baby hair anymore thanks to Rajasthani, and this brand made my hair feel silky smooth. Is Jamila the same or equivalent with color and curl loosening? I'd be so appreciative to hear from Jamila users, and what their thoughts are with color, texture, quality, etc., before I buy some. Thanks!

Saeth
September 30th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Fethenwen: Just a warning about the Moroccan henna, it has a very fast dye release which doesn't freeze very well, and I've heard elsewhere it's more orange than most other henna's and then something else I can't quite remember. Sorry.

I pulled up my bullet point henna research file and here's what's written:

Moroccan henna not as reddish as indian but fast dye release. Good for those not wanting intense red tones. Yields orange-red tones on it's own. Doesn't freeze well.

Indian henna coppery reds, more of burgendy tone. 3-4hrs for dye release, can get very dark, egg plant over time with repeated applications.

Jamila: 2-3 applications orange is gone. Rich red tones. Is Pakistani. Cool red. Up to 24hr dye release. Reputable and trustworthy.

Rajasthani Gives rich red burgendy tones.

Yemeni. Rich red tones. Doesn't get darker over time compared to other hennas. Political situation means it's often sold out in many henna stores or there's only a bit left.

On a website it says Jamila takes more burgundy tones than Rajast which is more just red. It could take a few dye jobs and some length to show this variation but also depends on ones hair too. I've used Jamila, Yemeni and I'm now using an Indian henna from ebay which I'm very impressed with and it doesn't break the bank! I can't really comment on curl effects. I have fine/straight hair. Keep in mind with the exception of the Yemeni, the other henna's colours will darken/take on cooler reds in time. It seems the usual application amounts for the oranges to go is about 3-5 but it depends on ones hair too.

My experience is there was no startling difference between Yemeni and Jamila. So in the end ease of getting it and cost decided it. I found both mine rinsed well but I got them from Mehandi.

haharobots
September 30th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Yemeni. Rich red tones. Doesn't get darker over time compared to other hennas. Political situation means it's often sold out in many henna stores or there's only a bit left.

Well no wonder I'm not getting any darker!! I never knew that about Yemeni.

I ordered the Rajasthani and some hibiscus. Can't wait to try it!

Nice little summary of the hennas, BTW.

kellinaturalmom
September 30th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Well no wonder I'm not getting any darker!! I never knew that about Yemeni.

I ordered the Rajasthani and some hibiscus. Can't wait to try it!

Nice little summary of the hennas, BTW.

haharobots I use Yemen Light henna from H4H and it most definitely gets darker! I have even gotten to a point where I think it may be getting too dark. I have done 4 full head apps and then went to roots only due to the darkening.

aahavaa
September 30th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I'd like to comment on the curl pattern thing. After 4 years or so of regular henna use (jamila and yemeni mostly) I found that for me jamila straightens my 2b,c hair whereas yemeni keeps it wavy. After my last jamila coupled with a horrible 5 inch cut from the hairdresser back in June I thought I'd lost a lot of my wave.But hennad with yemeni (from hennasooq as usual) last week and my waves and whorls are back yay!!

Mythica
September 30th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Rajasthani Gives rich red burgundy tones.

Coupled with that and rowie's post, I think I may have decided on Mehandi's Rajasthani Twilight, then. Very helpful, thanks all! :cheese: I think I'll save all that henna info in a word file, because I just keep getting lost in all the HFH pages sometimes.

Saeth
October 1st, 2011, 12:05 PM
You're very welcome for the summary. In the end I also got lost with all this info and thought, "Enough is enough!" And being the ditz I am....

aahavaa: I'm surprised to hear your Yemeni Light went darker over time, I even looked at it on the H4H shop and was even more surprised considering it's tone and colour. I suppose it's that famous or infamous (depends on your pov) small print of henna: it's unique in its results for every head of hair!

rowie
October 2nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
I'd like to comment on the curl pattern thing. After 4 years or so of regular henna use (jamila and yemeni mostly) I found that for me jamila straightens my 2b,c hair whereas yemeni keeps it wavy. After my last jamila coupled with a horrible 5 inch cut from the hairdresser back in June I thought I'd lost a lot of my wave.But hennad with yemeni (from hennasooq as usual) last week and my waves and whorls are back yay!!

Thanks, I definitely will try Jamila for sure! I know that Rajasthani from Mehandi.com straight up loosens my waves already. I just heard so much about how smooth Jamila is. How satisfied are you with the color results when you use Jamila?

I love the loosening effect henna can have, it keeps my baby hair frizzies at bay. Maybe I'll try ordering some from Henna Sooq. I live in the East Coast so maybe my shipment will be cheaper and faster since it seems like they are based in Maryland?

aahavaa
October 3rd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Saeth, the yemeni I use isn't yemeni light, it's yemeni from Hennasooq.Bear in mind also that my hair is dark brown so that the darkness underneath the henna has an influence.

Rowie as to how satisfied I am with jamila's colour, hmm I like it during the first couple of weeks but then it has a tendency to fade slightly on me and my whites then show up more coppery as opposed to burgundy.That's when I reach for the yemeni :D
All in all I prefer yemeni since the burgundy colour stays for longer and my hair looks darker with it even past the initial couple of weeks.

MeMyselfandI
October 5th, 2011, 01:22 PM

I have three apps of Yemeni on my length, and not enough new growth at the root to make a determination of which gives a cooler red. I wish I had tested some of my kitties orange fur, but oh well. It doesn't make much difference over my dark brown anyway, I mainly need the conditioning.

BUT - is one powder easier to use over the other, in terms of application or rinsing? I never had problems with the Yemeni, even though its supposed to be stringy.

Thoughts, musings?

hararobots,

Since you are ordering from HennaSooq, I will definately go with the Moroccan Henna, even though it does not give a cool red that you are asking for. If you do not like it, the other hennas will cover it up, but at least try it.

I love the moroccan henna that I get from Hennasooq. It is a bit grainy compared to the Jamalia.

The stringiness of one of the hennas did not bother me. I thought it was easier to put on then the most of the hennas that are not stringy.

For me, I look at the colour that is on my greys and what repeated hennas look like.

I tried various hennas from hennasooq and various combinations, and even an Iranian one form a store.

Once I tried the Moroccan henna, I never used any other one. I actually threw out all the other hennas I had. Some were new, but I did not want the other colours on my hair.

I have been using the Moroccan henna for over two years now. I love it. The colour does not get to dark like the other hennas were getting after repeated hennaing, which I then tried to remove from the ends. It covers the greys with a nice coppery colour. Not the extreme orange or reds of other hennas used alone. Now I am eager for another couple of years so all of the other hennas and dyes are totally gone.

ccmso12
October 5th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I recently hennaed for the first time 3 weeks ago with Rajasthani Twighlight----Im in lovewith the color it gave and it mixed very easily.

MeMyselfandI
October 6th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Thoughts, musings?

Hararobots,

I checked the HennaSooq site and they do have the Yemeni henna. They carry the four hennas: Jamila, Morocann, Rajasthani Indian and Yemeni. EDIT OCT 8th. Yemeni is not available.

I would strongly recommend you test the different body art henna on your own hair. Do you have any on a brush etc. I believe that the henna colour is dependent on your own hair. I know that I had different results from other henna heads with the same henna.

Have you heard of AMLA. I do not have much experience with it, but have read that it is used in the henna paste to make cooler colours. Test some hair with the henna that gives your hair the red colour you want, then test some hair with that henna and the amla and see if that is the colour you want.

haharobots
October 9th, 2011, 03:57 PM
update update update

I just finished gooping up my hair with a rajasthani + hibiscus mix! It was smooth and creamy, and applied easily to my hair. Easier than Yemeni, I think, but its been a while. The rajast is like cement though once it dries! The bathroom cleanup took a little more effort than I'm used to.

Also! Of course, I always end up getting some henna paste on my arms, and I noticed that the rajast has left some very bright stains on my skin - despite my usual coating of jojoba + coconut oils, and a very minimal contact time. I'm REALLY excited to see how it turns out in my hair.

:cheese:

owlathena
October 9th, 2011, 06:16 PM
update update update

I just finished gooping up my hair with a rajasthani + hibiscus mix! It was smooth and creamy, and applied easily to my hair. Easier than Yemeni, I think, but its been a while. The rajast is like cement though once it dries! The bathroom cleanup took a little more effort than I'm used to.

Also! Of course, I always end up getting some henna paste on my arms, and I noticed that the rajast has left some very bright stains on my skin - despite my usual coating of jojoba + coconut oils, and a very minimal contact time. I'm REALLY excited to see how it turns out in my hair.

Hooray!!!!!!!!

Toiréasa
October 9th, 2011, 06:24 PM
update update update

Waiting patiently for results pictures,I have ran out of Yemen and wanting to order the twlight rajasthani.

whichypoohs
October 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I use Jamila, Sojat (Indian) and Caca Rouge and they are all lovely. I'd say the Caca is a bit brighter than the other two.

haharobots
October 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
The results! All photos taken in bathroom light (sorry, its been rainy here)

pre- and post-oxidation

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3LOU0u_Xn2Q/TptsP_LfWCI/AAAAAAAAANw/ZjokLLYYRP4/s400/photo%25252812%252529.JPG https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0h40dEKOXRA/TptsRb6_1NI/AAAAAAAAAN4/_oT-2tbborY/s400/photo%25252811%252529.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-UeHubyEDhqw/TptsO4O7NJI/AAAAAAAAANo/Jod0LBVRAdE/s400/photo%25252813%252529.JPG https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2wBNQwZWW1Q/TptsNk8JTeI/AAAAAAAAANg/qZfSQ3I4PiI/s400/photo%25252814%252529.JPG

Some other views I took - you can see the lighter underside and ends

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wHnL3Uukb0E/TptsKQwIDqI/AAAAAAAAANQ/y-I-OEgDE24/s400/photo%25252816%252529.JPG https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DX4xJbtYTxA/TptsMmUyeWI/AAAAAAAAANY/aq7JIqbx05w/s400/photo%25252815%252529.JPG

I do think the results of the Rajast + Hibiscus are deeper than the Yemeni. And its worth noting that the Rajast washed out very easily. I saran-wrapped, added a beanie, and left on for about 5 hrs. I wait 48 hrs before shampooing (that's all I can stand!), and I've had very minimal bleeding. My mix was 100g Rajast, and 5g hibiscus.

Mythica
October 19th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Eep! :thud: That looks lovely!

Just ordered some Rajasthani Twilight the other day, so this just makes me even more impatient for it to arrive. :D

luciferia
October 19th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I just ordered some Twilight the other day as well, so I share in your excitement.

I'm hoping someone with lighter hair who has used it posts pictures though. So far every picture using twilight I have seen is on pretty dark hair.

giuditta
November 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Aaaa I can't decide between Jamila summer 2011 and Rajasthani either!
Up till now I used Yemeni henna, but of course it is sold out everywhere.
I read every thread I can find and every minute I tend to another one of these 2...
Any suggestions that can help me?
The price is the same, and none of them can be found online in The Netherlands :(