PDA

View Full Version : Rajasthani Twilight

Toiréasa
September 23rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Has anyone tried this yet I'm down to my last 100g of Yemen and need to stock up. I'm wondering how it compares in color?

Dreah
September 23rd, 2011, 06:27 PM
I am so sad that all the Celebration henna is gone :( I wish I could have stocked up.

From what I've gathered online so far, the Twilight is 2.9% lawsone, where Celebration was 3.4%. I'm not sure what the Yemeni came in at... low 2% I think? So the Twilight will be a deeper red, I think. But not as red as the Celebration is.

Hope that helps! I'm going to be ordering some Twilight soon, I'll try to post the results.

Toiréasa
September 23rd, 2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah, the Yemen was only 2.4% I have been trying to get a burgundy color I have done 3 whole head hennas and it's getting there maybe the twilight will get me there faster. I'll be watching for your results thanks.

Alienor
September 24th, 2011, 02:48 AM
I don't know this Rajasthani "Twilight" from mehendi but the Rajasthani I used to buy from another seller was my favorite as it was dark with more brown in it compared to the yemeni.
My hair is dark brown with gray and when I used to cover the grays, the results were better with Rajasthani:). But I never tried the "celebration", too expensive shipping charges for Europe unfortunately :(.

smcm1232
October 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I'd love to see if anyone has pics of results with the "twilight" henna on blonde or light red/strawberry hair. H4H seemed to get rid of alot of their products. So now have to start over lol :(

Dreah
October 11th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I finally got around to ordering some and it should be here in a couple days. I'll definitely take before and after shots in about a week or so!

ETA: I have about 3-4 inches of my virgin ashy blonde and the rest of my length is nearly all Celebration applications, though I haven't been able to afford henna since March so it's a little dull and faded. But I'm hoping the Twilight will liven things back up again!

Dolly
October 12th, 2011, 05:22 AM
I'd love to see if anyone has pics of results with the "twilight" henna on blonde or light red/strawberry hair. H4H seemed to get rid of alot of their products. So now have to start over lol :(

Well, it's not that they "get rid" of them. Each batch of henna, even if they come from the same supplier, can have varying amounts of lawsone. That is why they test the batches.....so we can KNOW what we are getting. But, when a batch sells out, they never know if they will get another one with a comparable dye content.

So, the best idea is that if you find one you really like at Mehandi, stock up! You can put the dry henna powder in the freezer and it will last a long long time. I still have a kilo of un-dye released Celebration in my freezer.....am so thankful I bought an extra kilo before it sold out!

lastnite
October 12th, 2011, 01:56 PM
H4H still has yemen henna though, it just labeled yemen light. so would it still give the same red color yemen is known to give?

caribou55313
October 12th, 2011, 05:47 PM
The batch of Yemen that H4H had before Yemen Light had a much higher dye content and gave deeper color. Yemen Light is named "light" because its dye content is pretty low compared to the previous one - so no, it doesn't give the same deep red/auburn you may have had in previous years.

lastnite
October 12th, 2011, 06:44 PM
The batch of Yemen that H4H had before Yemen Light had a much higher dye content and gave deeper color. Yemen Light is named "light" because its dye content is pretty low compared to the previous one - so no, it doesn't give the same deep red/auburn you may have had in previous years.

yes, I know. Some people just swore by the Yemen henna, that it gave a more true red color after many applications compared to other hennas...Would Yemen light be the same? Just taking more, longer applications?

caribou55313
October 12th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I have not found that to the be the case, that Yemen (or any henna) stays true red after many applications ... henna color builds up and gets darker until your hair becomes fully saturated and can't absorb any more color. As far as I have seen, it doesn't matter which henna you use, all henna does that. It happens faster with a higher dye content henna, slower with lower dye content or with glosses. But even a gloss will deepen the color.

Toiréasa
October 12th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I have not found that to the be the case, that Yemen (or any henna) stays true red after many applications ... henna color builds up and gets darker until your hair becomes fully saturated and can't absorb any more color. As far as I have seen, it doesn't matter which henna you use, all henna does that. It happens faster with a higher dye content henna, slower with lower dye content or with glosses. But even a gloss will deepen the color.

So if I understand you right if one wanted to stay with the Yemen henna and use the light you still could get the same deep cool red of the higher dye content Yemen it would only take you longer because of the dye content?

caribou55313
October 12th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I think it would take more applications of Yemen Light to get the same depth of color, yes.

xovictoryxo
October 13th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I keep waiting for a picture or for someone to rave about this product :) so far everyone is still curious! Next time I use Henna I will purchase this type and be the guinea pig :)

Toiréasa
October 13th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I keep waiting for a picture or for someone to rave about this product :) so far everyone is still curious! Next time I use Henna I will purchase this type and be the guinea pig :)

Ditto: you first tho lol...
I just use up the last of my Yemen so I will be trying it soon too, *fingers crossed* I get the cherry cola color I have been working on achieving.

Dreah
October 14th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I just got my Rajasthani Twilight in the mail today! Since I got suckered into working all weekend, I'm planning to apply on Monday. Pics will follow!

ccmso12
October 15th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I love this kind of henna and have never tried anything else. It makes my dark brown hair a rich and shiny auburn with lots of red:)

Dreah
October 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM
So I mixed up my henna just now, and plan to let it sit overnight for application tomorrow. I don't do anything fancy with my mix, just add almost hot water and stir!

I was pleasantly surprised by my finger turning slightly orange when I scraped the henna mix off the spoon I was using. So maybe a full night for dye release is a bit much, but I'm hoping it should be plenty fine in the morning. Pics will follow after my hair dries tomorrow!

luciferia
October 16th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I just put in an order for this color.

I've been using the Celebration for maybe 3/4ths of a year now... probably around 5 applications. It's pretty dark now, I guess I could consider it burgundy.

Anyway, once I use the Twilight, I'll try to remember to take and post pictures. Not sure how helpful it will be considering my hair is already pretty dark from the Celebration. Perhaps I'll let my roots grow in a bit longer than usual so it's easier to see.

luciferia
October 22nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
Okay, I used this henna this morning, and have a few things to comment on.

1. I really did not like mixing this henna. It was really chunky, and almost slimy textured. Maybe it's because I'm used to the really smooth Celebration I was using. It wasn't bad necessarily, just different and a bit awkward. Luckily, by the time the dye had released, it wasn't nearly as chunky as before, and was quite a bit more smooth. It was still rather slimy, though.

2. It rinsed out fairly easy for the most part, but left a lot of grittiness in my hair that took a bit longer to rinse out. Conditioner helped.

3. I don't know if it's because I left the henna on for 8 hours (I henna my hair, wrap it in plastic wrap, cover it in a towel and go to bed... lol) or because of the henna, but it left my 'blondette' roots a vibrant RED as opposed to the Celebration henna I had been using, which definitely left my hair very ORANGE until it oxidized. I'm excited to see how the Twilight will oxidize. Both types of henna I have used were left on about the same amount of time.

4. Twilight left me feeling quite a bit more itchy than Celebration ever did, though my hair looks and feels softer and more glossy than it ever did with Celebration. Twilight also stained my skin (face/neck/hairline/ears/etc) way less than Celebration did.

Overall, I'd say that I definitely prefer the Twilight, but that's mainly due to the beautiful RED. I hated the orange period I had to endure with the Celebration... ^^

Sorry I don't have any pictures to share. I CANNOT get my camera to pick up the color in any light... it just looks brown for some reason, even though it's definitely NOT brown.

Anyway, happy happy red hair. I'll try and keep you updated on the oxidation.

caribou55313
October 22nd, 2011, 09:00 PM
Yeah, it does have a little different texture ... when I first mixed it up I thought it might be sand but it's calcium oxalate that makes it gritty at first. The grittiness dissolves in something more acidic like lemon juice, apparently. Here's what the website says about this:

When you first mix up Twilight, you might hear gritting. This is not sand! Laboratory microscopy shows that Twilight has NO sand, but does have fragments of calcium oxalate crystals. Calcium oxalate is naturally produced by some henna plants. Spinach, kiwi fruit and tea leaves also produce calcium oxalate. Calcium oxalate is natural and harmless in henna paste, and it may correlate with higher dye content henna. The calcium oxalate dissolves in lemon juice, and rinses right out. If you use water or tea to mix your henna, you may have to rinse your hair more than once.

hennared
October 23rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
I just tried this henna for the first time last night.

I HATE hate hate, the texture. Since my once thick strong hair has become very fragile and thin, I cannot tolerate the difficulty in rinsing out this henna or the 'chunkiness'. I do think I'll like the color once it settles, but the difficulty in rinsing out for my hair is NOT worth it to me!

So ... if anyone would like to trade me 400 grams ( or less, I have 400 grams) of body art henna for my Rajasthani Twilight, please PM me!

Dreah
October 23rd, 2011, 10:42 AM
I agree with the texture comments. It was extremely hard to wash out of my hair. :( I usually just stand under the water for awhile to loosen it up, then work in some conditioner to get the rest out. It took me 3 rounds of conditioner to work out all the Twilight.

The color is awesome though, and I don't see much of a difference between this and Celebration. I'll try to post pics soon, I've been down all week with a horrible toothache so pics have had to wait.

caribou55313
October 23rd, 2011, 08:49 PM
If you can do a mermaid soak for 5 minutes before showering, this will make the rest of your rinsing much easier. Using a heavier conditioner like a cholesterol-type product may also help the henna paste slide out easier. You can finish with shampoo and/or a lighter conditioner if you don't like the heavy conditioning of the cholesterol.

Katbo
October 24th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I've used the Twilight twice now, one full-head and one gloss. Rinsing was a nightmare both times. I think I co-washed eight times before giving up. But the color is so vibrant! I've had many more compliments on this color than other previous henna-ings. Next time, I'll try a heavier conditioner to help with rinseout.

PeacenQuietGal
October 24th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I just did my roots with Rajathani Twilight and did not notice any discernable difference in rinsing at all. Also, i used lemon juice, so i did not notice any grittiness either.

So far, it seems farly close to celebration IMO.

caribou55313
October 24th, 2011, 08:50 AM
That's probably the key, using something acidic enough to dissolve the calcium oxalate.

luciferia
October 24th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I used a bit of red wine vinegar in my mix, though I think it was the actual henna that made my hair feel gritty and not anything else. The Celebration seemed to be a finer sift than the Twilight I used.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Either way, the color is definitely worth the small bit of trouble in my opinion.

Henna Princess
October 24th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I am a first time hennahead and used Rajasthani Twilight. I mixed it with green tea (tea with lemon), honey, and water. Love the results and will buy again. I dyed on chemical dyed hair, it was reddish brown, and it turned out very orange and then oxidated to the color on my profile picture.

Olivia23
October 25th, 2011, 06:31 AM
I just tried it the other day and for me it rinsed out easier than Yemen henna (my favorite). This has left me with a beautiful color. I need to take some pics. It has incredible dye release also. I accidentally left some on my finger and it was orange for two days lol!

lokiveil
October 25th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Okay, I am game..... but a couple of questions.

I have been mixing my henna with plain water as I have very, very dry hair and the whole acid thing scared me......

How much acid would you say was needed to get rid of the "grit", and how do you moisturize after drying your hair out with the acidic henna?

xovictoryxo
October 27th, 2011, 07:11 AM
my gosh this thread is torturing me all these talks about the beautiful red/burgundy but NO pictures. LOL

luciferia
October 27th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I've tried taking pictures but it always turns out looking brown because of my camera/the lighting. It's not even close to brown at all, so I haven't posted any.

Such sadness! It's so hard to accurately capture henna colors with my camera. :'(

Merkaba
October 27th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I have the same issue as lokiveil, can anyone advised on minimum acid to use? How about how drying this henna is compared to others used?