PDA

View Full Version : I'm a noob, so here's some dumb questions!

snakewitch
September 23rd, 2011, 05:23 PM
How do I mix henna? Is the acidic stuff necessary? Do I need to wait for dye release?

How do I mix indigo? Just water, or...?

Is 2.9% lawsone content enough to leave a permanent dye in my hair?

How can I make sure that my henna will stay? And my indigo? Because last time I hennaed my hair, it washed out... I used stuff from henna hut. :/ This time I have all of my stuff from mehandi. Infact, I'd like to know some reasons as to WHY it didn't stay...

I'll definitely think up more questions later... I really just want to get this right on my first try, and I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

I don't quite know why I feel like I need to hear it from more than one source, but I do. Sorry, lol.

Isilme
September 23rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
There's no need for any acid really, you just mix the powder with either conditioner or water until it reaches the consistency you want. Or you can just add a bit of henna powder to conditioner or a deep treatment, like say, a tablespoon for a henna gloss.
If find that mixing with warm water and then letting it sit for say, half an hour is sufficient, but other people mix it with cold water and let it sit for several hours before applying it to the hair. You just have to try and see what fits you the best!

You mix indigo just as you do with henna, only you don't use acid and don't let it sit because indigo demises fast.

There may be several reasons that you henna fade, porous hair can be one. Or you didn't let it sit in your hair long enough, or you let the mix sit in it's bowl too long. Maybe you did a henna gloss? They often fade.
Just never count on henna fading, it can be very permanent. Often though, with repeated applications it will stay.
Good luck!

mrs_coffee
September 23rd, 2011, 05:40 PM
How do I mix henna? Is the acidic stuff necessary? Do I need to wait for dye release?

I use warm water. Acidic stuff makes my scalp itch so I don't use it. Yes.

How do I mix indigo? Just water, or...?

No idea. Someone else will weigh in with indigo expertise.

Is 2.9% lawsone content enough to leave a permanent dye in my hair?

I don't know the answer to this one either. If you're using pure BAQ henna you should be okay.

How can I make sure that my henna will stay? And my indigo? Because last time I hennaed my hair, it washed out... I used stuff from henna hut. :/ This time I have all of my stuff from mehandi. Infact, I'd like to know some reasons as to WHY it didn't stay...

I had bad results with Henna Hut. It bled consistently for weeks afterward and a lot of my color washed out/faded. I use Henna Sooq now and it doesn't bleed at all after the initial washout. I use warm water, let it sit until the dye releases (for moroccan it's usually 1-2 hours) and then let the henna stay on my hair for at least 4 hours. To wash out I wet my head, use a huge palmful of conditioner and work it through my hair, let it sit for a minute, and rinse.

Hairitic
September 24th, 2011, 08:18 AM
These are the EXPERTS: www.hennaforhair.com

snakewitch
September 24th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks so much guys!

More questions... Is indigo supposed to be mixed with warm water or does it really not matter as long as it's water? And is the stain supposed to be blue or green when left on skin for a short while? Cause I decided to put a dot of it on my hand, just to see... it's green. It's supposed to have blue dye.

Also, my henna has been sitting for like 3 hours now, after I mixed it with water and stuff... do ya'll think it'll be enough time for the dye release? It's Rajasthani Twilight henna, if that helps.

ALSO, can indigo touch metal? I know henna reacts real badly with it, but what about indigo?

snakewitch
September 24th, 2011, 06:44 PM
My hair is black now, I'm happy. :D

Anje
September 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Ooh. Pictures?