PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this conditioner recipe?

cmcwell
September 20th, 2011, 07:03 PM
It's a homemade mix with water, an oil, and guar+xanthan gums to emusilfy. Seems like a good base I could add some EOs to. Just wondering if it was a success or complete failure for anyone out there. :)

http://www.sustainlane.com/reviews/how-to-make-a-low-cost-hair-conditioner-and-gel/73LC2FJLQNNAQID4RBPS47FMYBC8

Thanks!

andrea1982
September 20th, 2011, 09:20 PM
That's funny, I just found this recipe too today on instructables, and I've never seen it before despite being a member here for so long. I was going to try it, but am interested to hear others' replies!

cmcwell
September 21st, 2011, 03:10 PM
Going to try making/using it tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

jackie_brown
September 22nd, 2011, 03:40 AM
I think it's a simple recipe that can be used as treatment before washing hair.
It has no cationic surfactants (cetrimonium/behetrimonium chloride, esterquat, etc.) so it can't be used as conditioner.

linnepinne
September 22nd, 2011, 04:34 AM
What if you put some ACV in there? Then the condish would have the effect of closing your hairs cuticles and restoring the pH, and also the protective effect of the oil. Guar gum is great for slip and easy detangling.
I'm going to try this! I even have all the ingredients on hand. But I'll use a little bit of ACV and EVOO instead, since that seems to be my hairs oil of choice.

I'll report back!

cmcwell
September 26th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Tried this the other night, just now getting around to posting.

I made the basic mixture and added rosemary, clary sage, cedar, and lavender EOs. I also had to add a bit more xanthan gum than the original recipe called for to make it a bit thicker.

Before I gripe, I will say, this is an excellent way to get oil to every bit of your hair. That little bit of olive oil I put in there went a LONG way.

However, gripe time.

I couldn't get the oil out. My hair stayed nice and oily even after rinsing for a long time (I was trying to keep track, but I got bored).

I only condition my hair a couple times per week so I think with some tweaking (aka less oil and maybe jojoba instead of olive) and an ACV rinse, this might just work for me. Not giving up on it yet. :)

If anyone else tries it, please let me know how it goes!

andrea1982
September 27th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience cmcwell. I just came accross something that may be helpfull. Dianyla posted in her blog how she uses coconut milk, and she talks about using light "tast of thai" brand coconut milk that has a stabilizer in it, "guar gum". I'm thinking that the recipe you tried may have similar properties to this. She basically uses it on dry hair as a pre-wash treatment. Here's the post:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=16585#comment319185

ETA: I still haven't tried it myself, I live in a small town and have yet to find the xanthan/guar gum.