PDA

View Full Version : Henna and Buxus (Katam)

rowie
September 16th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Well, this is my first time hennaing, and I am really excited! There might be a post somewhere similar to this, but I can't find it since I'm really bad with technology.

I have virgin hair that I take really good care of (thanks to LHC for the tips) and decided to get some strength, and color for grays starting to appear (I'm happy I started to get them right now in my 30s, instead of in my 20s). I decided to do a combination of 1/2 henna and 1/2 Buxus dioica (katam), to achieve a light brown color on my gray hair. Even though I am not close to salt and pepper yet(whew), I just feel like I am not ready for the salt and pepper years just yet. I decided I will be using orange juice instead of lemon juice.
I'm kinda scared about the buxus since one of the reps from mehandi.com told me that I would be spending some time in the shower because it's not the same batch of buxus they usually carry do to political reasons happening right now, but they reassured me that their buxus is still baq quality, and it will color my hair just fine.

I just wanted to get some last minute tips from all you wonderful peeps before I prepare the mixture tomorrow! Have you tried this combination? What were your results? Have you ordered from mehandi.com, and were you satisfied with their henna?

julierockhead
September 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Mehandi is awesome, I just hennaed my hair the day before yesterday with their BAQ henna. It is a much nicer experience than box coloring. ;)

Read my adventure: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=78281

rowie
September 16th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Mehandi is awesome, I just hennaed my hair the day before yesterday with their BAQ henna. It is a much nicer experience than box coloring. ;)

Read my adventure: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=78281

That's assuring that you had a good experience with this company! Thanks

Unofficial_Rose
September 17th, 2011, 01:22 PM
It does sound like a good mix, especially if you want to avoid going too dark. Buxus is great for the medium brown tones, very natural. It does fade though, but you can always do a buxus gloss over your henna-and-buxus if it does.

rowie
September 17th, 2011, 02:08 PM
It does sound like a good mix, especially if you want to avoid going too dark. Buxus is great for the medium brown tones, very natural. It does fade though, but you can always do a buxus gloss over your henna-and-buxus if it does.

Thanks for that tip! I guess I'll just have to see how it goes during the oxidation period. Still waiting for my mix to be done!:)

jeanniet
September 17th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Buxus may or may not stick well to your grays, so if at all possible I would strand test first. Both indigo and buxus don't stick well to my grays. Buxus does fade, and often within a few weeks, but that's less problematic if it sticks in the first place. Let us know how it turns out!