PDA

View Full Version : I tell her "an inch max" and she cuts of over TWO INCHES!!!

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 03:01 AM
I just came back from the hairdressers, I told her to trim 2 cm, 3 max (for those of you unused to cm, 1 inch = 2.54 cm). She says okay.

Starts chopping and I see an inch of hair fall down. And another. I stop her politely and repeat: 2-3 cm max (thinking, she must even out my hair after the first chop), she looks at me like I'm mental and says: "Well, I heard you for the first two times, too." And keeps chopping.

End result: she cut off 6 cm (over two inches!!!) and I call her manager after she refuses to admit. The manager comes, looks at my hair and says "It's waist length for heaven's sake, whats the big deal..."

After a long "discussion", the manager eventually apologizes (the one who cut my hair, I refuse to call her a hairdresser because she is a ******n BUTCHER) and offers 25% off my next appointment. (You read right.)
I call them inept morons, refuse to pay and leave.

I am crying so bad right now, my friends are saying my hair still reaches my waist, and it just skims it (does not hit middle of waist any more).

It will take me two months to grow out to my length again, please help me, I'll take kind words and hugs and all you have, I feel so awful... I keep looking at it and telling myself I will have my length back in November, but I feel so violated and messed up and people keep telling me it's just hair, relax.

I just feel so angry and sad right now.

Mesmerise
September 1st, 2011, 03:09 AM
*Hugs* It completely sucks that they cut off too much hair and the manager sounds like such a B**CH! Seriously... Who cares that it's waist length, it was obviously longer before! I hate how people just don't "get" that!!

On the upside, it really WILL regain that length fairly quickly, and I have heard much worse stories (like waist length hair being chopped to APL or shoulder length!!) and hair that will take much, much longer to grow back.

Still, it is really disappointing that you specifically asked for a particular amount off, and they disregarded what you said and cut more. And then the manager didn't even apologise because you have long hair. That is extremely disrespectful!

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 03:16 AM
Thank you, Mesmerise, for answering so quickly and making me feel a bit better. I know, I was telling myself that this definitely isn't as bad as getting chopped so much that I could not do any hairstyle I used to, or (like a friend of mine) asking for dark honey blond and getting greenish-white because the "hair stylist" used 12% peroxide instead of 6% and left it 10 minutes too long.

Also, this inch would have been much more noticeable on someone with BSL.

I am going to go looking for good threads to make me feel better.

Hairitic
September 1st, 2011, 03:29 AM
Kitteh; I would strongly suggest self trims in the future. That or finding a really good friend that you can absolutely trust with shears. I was very fortunate when I asked a woman I know to give me a "small" trim recently. She graciously gave me a dusting after I told her she could cut a half inch off! LOL. Here's to a speedy recovery for your length!

swetiepeti
September 1st, 2011, 03:30 AM
hugs to you.
I understand. It's why the only person I ask to cut my hair is my husband. Not that he is great at hair trimming, just that he actually listens and cuts a fairly straight line. I'd probably trust my youngest son as well as he actually takes instruction well.

Revontuletar
September 1st, 2011, 03:32 AM
I really can't believe this. This is exactly why I don't ever go to hairdressers! The manager is a big time ***hole. They should be taught that when someone asks for a specific length, to be cut off, they MEAN it. Hairdressers always seem to be a bit scissor-happy and love to make sure everyone has short hair. In the future, I think you should just either trim it yourself, or get a friend or family member to do it for you. I have also heard good things about barbers, they usually don't feel the need to 'style' everything and are more used to people who want just general trims and upkeep. I haven't had any experiences with them though.

missdelarocha
September 1st, 2011, 03:33 AM
I agree with you the way they approached it was disrespectful! How rude, regardless of how long your hair is if somebody repeats to you twice that you want 2-3 cm max cut off and that it is clearly very important to them (and as they are also paying for the service) then you should have the respect to do so even if you don't agree with it!

This disrespect to non-'professionals' is part of the reason I've decided to no longer do hairdressing! Not that I don't love hair!

I just want you to remember that even though they didn't deal with the situation well that it is not a bad thing that has happened, having a little extra cut now just means you won't have to cut it for a while longer and has probably helped in thickening your hairline and losing damage (if any) sooner!! Your hair probably looks fantastic. Chin up :].

missdelarocha
September 1st, 2011, 03:34 AM
thickening your hairline

Woops, hemline :o.

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 03:36 AM
Thanks, guys! I do have a person I trust with my hair, but she was not available (another town and lots of work) and I needed a trim for a wedding this weekend, so I took a reccomendation from a woman I know for this hair salon (don't worry, I told her it sucked for me).

I was never brave enough for a self trim, but I read about them for a month when I came here... Thinking about trying next time I need a trim. Is there a thread with pictures and tips, maybe? I can't seem to find it, I have the instructions saved, though.

Safira
September 1st, 2011, 03:43 AM
I´m really sorry for you. The hairdresser didn´t think, I suppose. People don´t understand that long hair is precious to it´s owner. Well, don´t cry, you have so beautiful hair (I went and looked your photo) and I´m sure that you will have your beautiful lenght back very soon. :heartbeat :grouphug:

Isilme
September 1st, 2011, 04:06 AM
When will hairdressers learn that the customer is right and that they can not do just what they want? On the other hand, I'm sure your hair looks really fresh right now and at TB or classic on or two inches won't matter that very much when you reach it:)

Othala
September 1st, 2011, 04:14 AM
I'm sorry you had this experience.

We hear similar stories so many times on this forum that I wonder why anyone goes to hairdressers for trims or cuts. I'd rather cut my own hair or get a trustworthy friend (or Hubby) to do it.

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 04:26 AM
I´m really sorry for you. The hairdresser didn´t think, I suppose. People don´t understand that long hair is precious to it´s owner. Well, don´t cry, you have so beautiful hair (I went and looked your photo) and I´m sure that you will have your beautiful lenght back very soon. :heartbeat :grouphug:

Thank you so much... I got a bit calmer now, but still cannot believe how she completely ignored me. I called my usual <3 hair stylist <3 to vent and she said she hates how people like that give her trade a bad name! She understands, as she not only listens to those that do know what they want, but also refuses to pick up scissors on those who don't - she ignores the "do whatever you like" requests and talks the heck out of them until they define, at least roughly, what they want.

I'm sorry you had this experience.

We hear similar stories so many times on this forum that I wonder why anyone goes to hairdressers for trims or cuts. I'd rather cut my own hair or get a trustworthy friend (or Hubby) to do it.

Well, there are good hairdressers, like I explained above. It's just all those stupid people who sit down and have no idea what they want... I think some hairdressers start treating everyone like that after a while, which is so wrong! There is a huge number of us who know exactly what we want, and that also means if I said "trims and gloss spray ONLY, please" it means NO to highlights/lowlights/feathering/fringe/washing/curling/straightening/argan oil/perm etc.

So stop asking. No. *rolls her eyes*

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 04:30 AM
When will hairdressers learn that the customer is right and that they can not do just what they want? On the other hand, I'm sure your hair looks really fresh right now and at TB or classic on or two inches won't matter that very much when you reach it:)

Actually, I am not aiming for that length - the 36-36-36 under my pic is confusing people, I guess.

Speaking of that, I have been meaning to fix it for ages... Miscalculated my centimeters and they stayed that way.

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 04:42 AM

Revontuletar
September 1st, 2011, 04:54 AM
How can I change the title, i put "of" instead of "off"?
I didn't even notice! And I am one of those people who always notices typos and spelling errors. I'm not sure if it's possible, but I wouldn't worry about it.

kamikaze hair
September 1st, 2011, 05:24 AM
I'm so sorry this has happened to you, i hope you eventually feel better. and no its not "just hair". If it means something to you, then its important. No negotiating on that point.

Good on you for NOT PAYING!!!!!!! i would not have paid either, you asked for a specific service, you even reiterated for the inept moron (love that!) and they still got it wrong. Serves them right for not doing what you asked and then even having the nerve to act indignant when they did bad.

:luke::horse::hatchet::boxer:

I send you lots of :grouphug:

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 06:32 AM
I didn't even notice! And I am one of those people who always notices typos and spelling errors. I'm not sure if it's possible, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Phew. Me, too, and I know how important it is to keep language "clean" here for all of us non-native speakers, that's why I asked.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you, i hope you eventually feel better. and no its not "just hair". If it means something to you, then its important. No negotiating on that point.

Good on you for NOT PAYING!!!!!!! i would not have paid either, you asked for a specific service, you even reiterated for the inept moron (love that!) and they still got it wrong. Serves them right for not doing what you asked and then even having the nerve to act indignant when they did bad.

:luke::horse::hatchet::boxer:

I send you lots of :grouphug:

All the smilies made me LAUGH! I believe I was right, too. My best friend was apalled that I didn't pay, because I'm not "that kind of person", but I tried to explain - if the manager had apologized, I would have paid (without tipping, duh). She still thinks I was wrong not to pay, but this was the first time I refused to pay for any service (I'm almost 30) and I believe I was right. Giving 15$ for a trim that was not what I asked for - NO WAY.

UPDATE: I combed my hair to calm myself down and saw several little fragments of hair sticking out of the hemline. Jesus. I cut them off.

Really, stick-straight hair, no wave, and a shallow U-trim?! One would think that was one of the easiest tasks for a hair stylist!

Thanks for being here, guys! Sure makes venting easier when there's no non-LHC-ers saying "it's just hair"...

Capybara
September 1st, 2011, 06:33 AM
I'm glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. I would have felt the same way, though I'm not sure I would have had the guts to call in the manager. Kudos to you for standing up for yourself!

Your hair is beautiful :)

archel
September 1st, 2011, 06:45 AM
Ugh, I have a hair cut this morning and all these stories are freaking me out. But I want bangs and I do not trust myself to cut them myself! Once they're done I am getting my own shears and trimming myself (I can do that at least, I did when I had bangs before).

UltraBella
September 1st, 2011, 07:07 AM
Ugh, I have a hair cut this morning and all these stories are freaking me out. But I want bangs and I do not trust myself to cut them myself! Once they're done I am getting my own shears and trimming myself (I can do that at least, I did when I had bangs before).

Don't worry too much, many of us have wonderful experiences getting our hair cut. I completely adore my stylist and she does a fantastic job :) Have you been to this stylist before ? Good luck this morning !

OP, I am sorry for their attitude towards you. That's very unprofessional. However, this is a very minor problem to have and that 1 extra inch she cut will be back very quickly. I am not trying to downplay your experience, I am just saying that you didn't lose 8 inches, get unwanted layers, etc and those things are much MUCH more difficult to recover from. Thank goodness it wasn't worse !

Little_Bird
September 1st, 2011, 07:13 AM
I understand what you're going through. I really think you should consider learning to trim your own hair. I learned not because I had a traumatic experience with professional trims but because it just feels safer to deal with my hair my way. It's actually not that dificult.

I understand you feel violated but please try to not feel that way. November is not so far away :flower:

Hug to you ^^

Susana
September 1st, 2011, 07:19 AM
It sucks, but it could have been worse. Take it as a lesson, I am sure most people on this forum have gone through this experience (myself included, but I was taken from waist to BSL for a trim and then disappeared from this forum for a while in shape while I grew it out lol)

If you don't know/trust the person, do it yourself or wait for the one whom you can trust.

Cheer up! Think of it as thickening the hairline (I think someone else said that - good comment lol)

heartgoesboom
September 1st, 2011, 07:25 AM

i actually just cut my own bangs from watching youtube videos coz the stylists never get that right for me - coz i want side swept.

noelgirl
September 1st, 2011, 07:26 AM
What's appalling is her attitude. When she said she heard you the first time, like she knows - if she knows, then she deliberately went against your wishes. And there were bits sticking out from the hemline? I don't even get those when I self-trim. You were right not to pay - you did not receive the professional service that they charge for.

Zesty
September 1st, 2011, 07:29 AM
That sucks, and good for you for standing up for yourself. If they don't do what you want and don't make enough effort to make things right, they don't deserve your money! I wonder though if the stylist could accurately visualize 2-3cm? I read a post on LHC once talking about how the poster hadn't found a single stylist who could correctly show what an inch or half an inch looked like. Regardless, that was wrong of her.

But as others have said, at least it's not worse. I know it's hard, but think of that extra bit as just a little extra insurance against split ends, and a step towards a thicker HEMline. ;) You'll get it back in no time.

kamikaze hair
September 1st, 2011, 07:31 AM
Phew. Me, too, and I know how important it is to keep language "clean" here for all of us non-native speakers, that's why I asked.

All the smilies made me LOL! I believe I was right, too. My best friend was apalled that I didn't pay, because I'm not "that kind of person", but I tried to explain - if the manager had apologized, I would have paid (without tipping, duh). She still thinks I was wrong not to pay, but this was the first time I refused to pay for any service (I'm almost 30) and I believe I was right. Giving 15$ for a trim that was not what I asked for - NO WAY.

UPDATE: I combed my hair to calm myself down and saw several little fragments of hair sticking out of the hemline. Jesus. I cut them off.

Really, stick-straight hair, no wave, and a shallow U-trim?! One would think that was one of the easiest tasks for a hair stylist!

Thanks for being here, guys! Sure makes venting easier when there's no non-LHC-ers saying "it's just hair"... :heartbeat

Glad you liked it!! figured you could use a laugh at this point. Don't worry on the LHC i dont think there is anything to small or trivial that can be discussed and shared because there will always be someone who COMPLETELY understands. :)

ButterCream
September 1st, 2011, 07:49 AM
So sorry this happened to you!:(

What a rude, disrespectfull, mean and controlling behaviour from someone who makes a living of taking "care" of other peoples assets!

Does this hairdresser mind if she goes to a restaurant and order a meal, then she ends up getting served something else she don`t even like just because the waiter decides that what he wants to serve her?
"Well it is still food I served you so what is BIG DEAL even though it is not exactly what you ordered... "

And does the same hairdresser then mind that the waiter - instead of waiting for a tip - reaches in her purse and helps himself with money because he won`t take it all, there will still be money left, so why does she complain?

It is of course not the same as losing length that takes months to get back, but my point is that no one would stand for that kind of a treatment from a waiter without complaining to a manager, so why are the hairdressers surprized that a customer reacts when they did the OPOSITE of what you wanted?????

I am so glad you didn`t pay to be treated like that! :)

And just.... wow on the "you`ll get 25 % off next time you come here"..
Yeah, like they will ever get any more business from you after been treated with the utmost DISRESPECT...

Do they treat all their clients like doormats, or...?

gretchen_hair
September 1st, 2011, 09:58 AM
Sometimes the damage and splits aren't at the exact one inch mark, sometimes there has to be some leeway.

Are you sure she cut and inch and then another inch? Or the inch you saw fall was from one side of your hair and then the rest was from the other?

Alas, be lucky it was 2 inches and not 6 or more.

I don't think that her trimming 2 inches versus one inch is reason to call someone an *f'ing butcher*, did you ask her if maybe it needed to be trimmed that much? Did you actually measure the end results and see if it was indeed 2 inches she cut (you did say that you saw *an inch fall, and then another inch)

When someone cuts hair, it isn't one chop of the scissors and all the hair is cut at once.

While some folks are in sympathetic agreement with you, I feel that you are being overly harsh on the hairdresser and am wondering of she really cut off 2 inches or you just assumed she did because you saw her snip one inch and then saw another snip of an inch. it takes many snips to cut hair, even if it was one inch.

Also, you said that you told her to cut 2cm or 3cm max and that a little over 2cm is an inch, I think that expecting someone to be *exact* on your measurements versus what they consider (2-3 max) is a bit extreme, especially when you said 2-3 max. If 2.54 cm is an inch and you said 2-3 cm, that would mean that 3cm is approx 1-1/4 inches and there isn't a HUGE difference in 1-1/4 - 2 inches. (that is assuming you measured the hair dry before and after the cut)

Honestly, I don't see how you can be so upset and literally crying over a fraction of an inch more than you expected?

We cannot expect EXACT measurements when we get a trim, sometimes the hair is uneven, sometimes splits and damage are higher up on one side of the hair (due to the way one sits in the car and catches hair in the door etc) or for various other reasons. You say you kept telling her 2-3 cm , 2-3 cm! Maybe she was cutting that much and you were stressing her out?

Of course if she was negligent and blatantly disregarding your instructions, then she is to blame if more hair was cut than you asked for. But I wonder how you would know right away that an extra inch was cut by looking at the hair on the floor, without measuring?

I feel bad for hairdressers who get bashed and called *Effing Butchers* for trimming a tad bit more than the customer asks for. Possibly due to evening out hair, damage, splits or whatever reason.

I feel bad when people get their hair hacked off 12 inches when they say 2 inches, but this just isn't the case and I can't see the reason for the bashing and the crying. Of course I would never say, *it's just hair, it will grow or to relax* But I do think that there is a bit of over-reacting in this situation. So many people are quick to blame the hair dresser for things that are really beyond control, maybe asking her in a gentle way *are you cutting more than one inch? if so, why is it necessary*? would have been more productive than calling her a liar and refusing to pay for services rendered.

ETA: I meant to add: For example if a person has a V cut or a U cut and they go in for a trim and want a blunt cut but say they want one inch taken off max, this may not be possible. Some of the hair is longer than the rest and it will take more hair to get all the hair evened up. There is never going to be an exact science for haircutting every head of hair on the planet.

Becky Safari
September 1st, 2011, 10:00 AM
It could have been much worse, you are fortunate it is still long. I used to bring in a ruler with me and have them cut the first few cuts against the ruler where I marked it! Maybe try self-trimming? I've never looked back since trying. Feel better!

Alvrodul
September 1st, 2011, 10:08 AM
:grouphug: That is awful - it seems that everybody here have a few "bad hairdresser" stories.
At least you had enough steel in your spine to refuse to pay for the butchery! :applause Some here have been so shocked by their treatment by the hairdresser or the result that they just paid up and went home to cry in private.
I don't think you are going back there - are you? I hope you get better treatment next time - if there is a next time. There is always the option to try self trimming!

gretchen_hair
September 1st, 2011, 10:19 AM
You didn't mention in the original rant/post that you asked for a U trim, of course if your hair is blunt and you ask for a U trim, it is going to take a bit more hair on the sides to get the U shape.

All the smilies made me LOL! I believe I was right, too. My best friend was apalled that I didn't pay, because I'm not "that kind of person", but I tried to explain - if the manager had apologized, I would have paid (without tipping, duh). She still thinks I was wrong not to pay, but this was the first time I refused to pay for any service (I'm almost 30) and I believe I was right. Giving 15$ for a trim that was not what I asked for - NO WAY.

Thanks for being here, guys! Sure makes venting easier when there's no non-LHC-ers saying "it's just hair"... :heartbeat

Ishje
September 1st, 2011, 10:20 AM
wow, that was a rude manager 0.o

spidermom
September 1st, 2011, 10:35 AM
I wonder if it was a case of "oops, this side is a little short, gotta even it up..." and so forth. I took my granddaughter to a stylist yesterday, and she was so nice. She showed us her comb and said "this is 1 inch, this is 2 inches" and let granddaughter choose on the comb how much length she wanted trimmed away.

I asked the stylist how it ends up that someone can ask for 2 inches and walk out with 6 inches gone, and she said "it burns my biscuits! What usually happens is ...(what I described above)"

Anyway, I'm sorry you walked out with an oops and here's wishing you an unbelievable growth spurt :magic: to make up for it.

flowerlovelong
September 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM
Thank you for sharing your story and I am sorry about what happened to you. It has convinced me to get my friend to trim my ends instead of going to a salon.

Juneii
September 1st, 2011, 11:02 AM
I am sorry it upsets you so much but at waist length 2 inches is not that much and I think you were pretty harsh on the hairdresser and manager. Cutting a perfect hemline and getting rid of most of the damage is not a walk in the park, sometimes you think that the hair is perfectly straight but then it springs to a different length a few seconds later. It will grow back pretty quickly, one inch may look like a lot to you up close but when looking at an entire length of hair it is not that much at all.

Delila
September 1st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Next time you're dealing with a new stylist, don't specify INCHES. Specify fractions of inches.
Talk to them, BEFORE they have the scissors in their hands, and make sure they understand that you have a long term goal of gaining length and that you DON'T want a chop.

If they won't listen, don't do business with them.

It's a hard lesson learned.

Megz
September 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
Big hugs! That sucks, and so does the Butcher! Sometimes, I'm convinced some stylists use the same ruler as a few of my ex's. I try to trim on my own, but it gets tricksy, since I were it curly/straight, so have to go in at times. I've learned to tell them to trim about half of what I'm actually going for, show them visually or ask for dusting, then prepare for the worst. Mine's pretty well trained now - at least in that area anyway.

Yame
September 1st, 2011, 11:36 AM
Sometimes the damage and splits aren't at the exact one inch mark, sometimes there has to be some leeway.

Are you sure she cut and inch and then another inch? Or the inch you saw fall was from one side of your hair and then the rest was from the other?

Alas, be lucky it was 2 inches and not 6 or more.

I don't think that her trimming 2 inches versus one inch is reason to call someone an *f'ing butcher*, did you ask her if maybe it needed to be trimmed that much? Did you actually measure the end results and see if it was indeed 2 inches she cut (you did say that you saw *an inch fall, and then another inch)

When someone cuts hair, it isn't one chop of the scissors and all the hair is cut at once.

While some folks are in sympathetic agreement with you, I feel that you are being overly harsh on the hairdresser and am wondering of she really cut off 2 inches or you just assumed she did because you saw her snip one inch and then saw another snip of an inch. it takes many snips to cut hair, even if it was one inch.

Also, you said that you told her to cut 2cm or 3cm max and that a little over 2cm is an inch, I think that expecting someone to be *exact* on your measurements versus what they consider (2-3 max) is a bit extreme, especially when you said 2-3 max. If 2.54 cm is an inch and you said 2-3 cm, that would mean that 3cm is approx 1-1/4 inches and there isn't a HUGE difference in 1-1/4 - 2 inches. (that is assuming you measured the hair dry before and after the cut)

Honestly, I don't see how you can be so upset and literally crying over a fraction of an inch more than you expected?

We cannot expect EXACT measurements when we get a trim, sometimes the hair is uneven, sometimes splits and damage are higher up on one side of the hair (due to the way one sits in the car and catches hair in the door etc) or for various other reasons. You say you kept telling her 2-3 cm , 2-3 cm! Maybe she was cutting that much and you were stressing her out?

Of course if she was negligent and blatantly disregarding your instructions, then she is to blame if more hair was cut than you asked for. But I wonder how you would know right away that an extra inch was cut by looking at the hair on the floor, without measuring?

I feel bad for hairdressers who get bashed and called *Effing Butchers* for trimming a tad bit more than the customer asks for. Possibly due to evening out hair, damage, splits or whatever reason.

I feel bad when people get their hair hacked off 12 inches when they say 2 inches, but this just isn't the case and I can't see the reason for the bashing and the crying. Of course I would never say, *it's just hair, it will grow or to relax* But I do think that there is a bit of over-reacting in this situation. So many people are quick to blame the hair dresser for things that are really beyond control, maybe asking her in a gentle way *are you cutting more than one inch? if so, why is it necessary*? would have been more productive than calling her a liar and refusing to pay for services rendered.

ETA: I meant to add: For example if a person has a V cut or a U cut and they go in for a trim and want a blunt cut but say they want one inch taken off max, this may not be possible. Some of the hair is longer than the rest and it will take more hair to get all the hair evened up. There is never going to be an exact science for haircutting every head of hair on the planet.

THIS. There are a lot of horror stories about trims on this board (at least one new one per day). This isn't one of them.

Everytime I get a trim from someone else (my mom) I'm upset she cut too much. It may be just my own perception. I've cut off 2 inches before and NO ONE noticed. Not a soul. Except this one guy on youtube who notices even my slightest of trims for some reason... Lol

if you want EXACTLY an inch, cut it yourself. Right now I am one horror story away from making that long overdue post about this.

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 11:48 AM
There was no damage and no splits.
Yep. Measured when I got home.
God***n butcher, you didn't count the * right.

I know. I tried to stop her in the middle of it, but she rudely told me she heard.
Again: SHE CUT OFF OVER TWO INCHES.
Not a fraction. Twice as much.
This is so priceless I have no idea what to say. Yep. My fault. For telling twice before she started. And trying to stop her when she was making a mistake (proven by a measuring tape).
Read what I wrote again: She immediately cut an inch. Not one person who has done my hair right has ever done this.
God***n butcher, again. No damage, no splits. NONE. I "dust" twice a week.

Everything clear now? Why go into a rant defending the "hairdresser", really? FYI, I am always polite, I tip really well, and I clearly state exactly what I want.

She, on the other hand, was not listening, was rude, before she even began I had to wait for her to finish a private conversation on her cell phone. She did not even dust the area around the chair and I had to step through other people's hair to sit down. She also "didn't know" where the hand-held mirror was when I asked to see my back (feeling it was too much).

Defend all you want, she did not do her job.

wvgemini
September 1st, 2011, 11:51 AM
Everything clear now? Why go into a rant defending the "hairdresser", really? FYI, I am always polite, I tip really well, and I clearly state exactly what I want.

She, on the other hand, was not listening, was rude, before she even began I had to wait for her to finish a private conversation on her cell phone. She did not even dust the area around the chair and I had to step through other people's hair to sit down. She also "didn't know" where the hand-held mirror was when I asked to see my back (feeling it was too much).

Wow. Someone offers a different perspective and they get this? Just. Wow.

Sorry you lost a whole inch of hair.

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 11:59 AM
Thank you and a big hug to those who offered kind words since my last post: Little Bird, noelgirl, Zesty, Kamikaze hair, ButterCream, Becky Safari, Alvrodul, Spidermom, flowerlovelong, Megz - You helped a lot and I'll be here till November, waiting for my length! :heart:

To the others: because of people like you, exactly people like you, I have made the title very clear. Read it again. You think it's no biggie, fine. Don't read, don't answer. That's what I do when I see a title that I don't like.

Mods, feel free to shut this one down.

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 12:03 PM
Wow. Someone offers a different perspective and they get this? Just. Wow.

Sorry you lost a whole inch of hair.

Get what? Show me a single nasty word directed to the poster. I was just explaining the situation.

I'll ignore the possible irony and say thank you anyway.

Yame
September 1st, 2011, 12:04 PM
Sorry but when you post on a public forum, not every answer will be what you want to hear. We are all free to express our opinons here, not just those who agree. If you don't like to post dissenting opinions that's fine, but some of us are honest and will say what's on our minds if we think it needs to be said.

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 12:12 PM
Sorry but when you post on a public forum, not every answer will be what you want to hear. We are all free to express our opinons here, not just those who agree. If you don't like to post dissenting opinions that's fine, but some of us are honest and will say what's on our minds if we think it needs to be said.

That's right, but I wonder what kind of person comes to a thread of a poster who says "I'll take kind words and hugs and all you have etc." and says she is sad and upset about something just to take the other side, assuming all sorts of things that were never there (damaged hair, blunt-to-U-trim, being rude to the hairdresser, not measuring before accusing etc.)? If I saw a poster asking for hugs and being upset, I would either express my support or walk away.

I would not try to minimize whatever it is that they are going through.

kamikaze hair
September 1st, 2011, 12:23 PM
well i'm not one who wants to fight with anybody on this thread but what i would say is this...

If your upset about your haircut, then thats the main point here, and offering support because your upset. Its not my place to turn around and try and speculate or judge as to why your upset in the first place. As a general rule if someone (anyone) is upset about something, someone, whatever, Its not necessarily the right thing to tell that person what they should be really feeling, no matter how silly or stupid their reason is for it. (not that i think your reason is stupid, i dont). I know if i was upset about something i would just want someone there to just offer the general message of: its ok to be upset.

i'm also thinking sometimes writing messages like this, as appose to being in person and saying something can sometimes sound harsher than what its meant.

once again, Kitteh, my sympathies are with you. :grouphug:

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 12:34 PM
well i'm not one who wants to fight with anybody on this thread but what i would say is this...

If your upset about your haircut, then thats the main point here, and offering support because your upset. Its not my place to turn around and try and speculate or judge as to why your upset in the first place. As a general rule if someone (anyone) is upset about something, someone, whatever, Its not necessarily the right thing to tell that person what they should be really feeling, no matter how silly or stupid their reason is for it. (not that i think your reason is stupid, i dont). I know if i was upset about something i would just want someone there to just offer the general message of: its ok to be upset.

i'm also thinking sometimes writing messages like this, as appose to being in person and saying something can sometimes sound harsher than what its meant.

once again, Kitteh, my sympathies are with you. :grouphug:

Yes, this. If I was satisfied with what the heck, that is just an inch of hair, no big deal, I would have paid. And tipped. I came here for support, thinking: if anyone can understand this, LHC-ers can.

Like people who are into gardening. Ya sure wouldn't want to hear someone saying "Why the drama, it's just a dead plant.", right? Or a vegetarian hearing "So what, those chickens were raised to be killed for food anyway."

If I was on a "general" forum (stupid expression, but I hope you know what I mean), I would not have even thought to post a thread like this one.

Here? YES. This is a long hair community, and people here love long hair, it means something to them. And thanks again to everyone who gave me support today.

gretchen_hair
September 1st, 2011, 01:01 PM
You don't seem very polite to me at all.

You are answering and speaking to me in a manner that is indeed rude.

You are answering some of the questions as if we were having a back and forth conversation and I kept repeating t he same question to you over and over after you'd given me an answer. In reality, I was just asking questions in *one* post as they came along, and then you act like I am a moron because I didn't count your asterisks for F*****G or G*****N which is the same amount of asterisks, 7.

Touchy much?

In reality, you are expecting MIRACLES from a hair dresser and then you tried to get her into trouble, the manager tried to calm you down and you still tried to get the hair dresser in a world of :poop:

You STOLE that womans wages and then expect people to coddle and baby you and act like she was a BUTCHER...oh look, BUTCHER has the same amount of letter as G*****N and F*****G! So maybe you were calling her a Butcher Butcher!

You also say t hat you measures when you got home, you weren't sure of the *exact measurements* when you called the hair dresser a liar, a butcher and tried to make her feel like crap for giving you a U shape like you asked and therefore probably had to cut more than one inch on some places to so so.

You are rude in your reply to me and if you act this way on a forum when someone doesn't coddle you for your *hair disaster* and agree that the hairdresser is a *butcher butcher* then I can only imagine how you acted towards the poor lady at the shop. You stole her money and they could have called the cops on you for refusing to pay for services rendered.

There is a HUGE difference in you wanting an exact inch and a U cut and someone cutting off 2 inches and giving you what you asked for, and someone literally hacking your hair to the shoulder.

There is also a difference in telling someone what you want ie: 2-3 cm max, and haranguing them over and over during the cut.

There is a difference in being upset over a botch job and being an over dramatic, snotty, petulant brat.

Originally Posted by gretchen_hair http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1762468#post1762468)
There was no damage and no splits.
Yep. Measured when I got home.
God***n butcher, you didn't count the * right.

I know. I tried to stop her in the middle of it, but she rudely told me she heard.
Again: SHE CUT OFF OVER TWO INCHES.
Not a fraction. Twice as much.
This is so priceless I have no idea what to say. Yep. My fault. For telling twice before she started. And trying to stop her when she was making a mistake (proven by a measuring tape).
Read what I wrote again: She immediately cut an inch. Not one person who has done my hair right has ever done this.
God***n butcher, again. No damage, no splits. NONE. I "dust" twice a week.

Yame
September 1st, 2011, 01:07 PM
I know what you mean Kitteh and I understand your frustration. I would have been sad and angry with the situation, as well. For me, two inches is a lot because my hair grows slowly. It could take almost half a year to grow that much.
But it's important to put things into perspective, too.

dulce
September 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
It's a hard lesson learned,in the past after asking for one inch I have had 4 inches cut off , so I know how violated it makes you feel when someone deliberately doesn't listen after getting concise instructions.If she felt more needed to be cut off than what you wanted ,she should have asked you first,unfortunately that doesn't seem to happen judging by the many other experiences on this forum.If you can't find a stylist you trust,get a close friend or family member or a barber[several positive reports on those guys] or a CREACLIP.Never trust your hard earned length to just anyone. Good luck!

gretchen_hair
September 1st, 2011, 01:11 PM
Once again.........usually, unless threads go very far south and get really out of hand, mods DO NOT CLOSE THEM DOWN just because someone doesn't like the answer or post that has been given.

I was offering a different view/opinion and I have a right to reply if I wish, you can TELL me not to, but it's pretty fair to say that I won't be listening to your demands. :shrug:

Just like I can suggest you get off your high horse, but you don't have to take my advice.

And I find it really hard to believe that a person who doesn't pay for services rendered tips well. :rolleyes:

Thank you and a big hug to those who offered kind words since my last post: Little Bird, noelgirl, Zesty, Kamikaze hair, ButterCream, Becky Safari, Alvrodul, Spidermom, flowerlovelong, Megz - You helped a lot and I'll be here till November, waiting for my length! :heart:

To the others: because of people like you, exactly people like you, I have made the title very clear. Read it again. You think it's no biggie, fine. Don't read, don't answer. That's what I do when I see a title that I don't like.

Mods, feel free to shut this one down.

lapushka
September 1st, 2011, 01:23 PM
But it's important to put things into perspective, too.

This. ^^

I'm certain that's all gretchen_hair meant by her initial post. I'm actually a bit surprised it was taken the wrong way.

An inch doesn't seem a big deal to me; it wouldn't be a big deal if it had happened to me, but it didn't, it happened to the OP.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, OP, but it's important indeed to put things into perspective. After all, it's 1 inch! It'll grow back in no time.

Kathie
September 1st, 2011, 01:28 PM
Starts chopping and I see an inch of hair fall down. And another. I stop her politely and repeat: 2-3 cm max (thinking, she must even out my hair after the first chop), she looks at me like I'm mental and says: "Well, I heard you for the first two times, too." And keeps chopping.

End result: she cut off 6 cm (over two inches!!!) and I call her manager after she refuses to admit. The manager comes, looks at my hair and says "It's waist length for heaven's sake, whats the big deal..."

I call them inept morons, refuse to pay and leave.

First I'm really sorry that this happened- it’s all too common a thread here at LHC... what’s wrong with some hairdressers :demon:

But, yay for you not paying!!! All too often these sorts of OP end with the person being in shock, paying, and leaving. I'm glad you didn't.

mallorykay13
September 1st, 2011, 01:29 PM
Why is it that for a pixie cut 2 inches is a big deal but when you have long hair it doesnt matter. (eyeroll)

Kathie
September 1st, 2011, 01:32 PM
How did this thread turn sour! Yikes- I’m out.

Good luck growing again Kitteh :flower:

gretchen_hair
September 1st, 2011, 01:42 PM
It turned sour when someone had a different opinion and asked questions that may be logical but the op did not want to hear.

heartgoesboom
September 1st, 2011, 01:44 PM
was it cut well at least?

it's okay... i refuse to get a haircut because i'm at a good length too. i would HATE if someone touched it, probably why i did my own trim this month.

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 01:50 PM
Why is it that for a pixie cut 2 inches is a big deal but when you have long hair it doesnt matter. (eyeroll)

I noticed that, too. Reminds me of a friend I have: she used to model and is still worried about weight although she is drop-dead gorgeous and her weight is normal. Whenever she gains a couple of pounds and complains, everyone makes fun of her relentlessly. The 170-pound-one who reaches to her clavicle gets to complain every day... And every single person comforts her and gives her low-cal food recipes.

Thanks, Kathie, I'm out, too. Obviously it is too sour because of something else, not my two inches/cents. *takes flowers and sashays away*

gthlvrmx
September 1st, 2011, 02:02 PM
Good lord i am so sick of these hairdressers that always think they are right when it comes to OUR HAIR. I mean how much more blunt and obvious can we get?! 1/2 inch is 1/2 INCH. Just have to find those hairdressers that listen. Gawsh, i am so sorry :( But the bright side now is that your hair is healthier and will most likely grow more steadily because of that, so you might just get your length back faster! :) Just baby that hair :)
Maybe it's time for self-trims, you can always trust yourself.

jeanniet
September 1st, 2011, 03:04 PM
She asked for up to 1.25" off, so really only .75" extra was trimmed off. I wouldn't be happy about it, nor happy about the attitude, either, but I can't call it a disaster in comparison to people here who have lost 6" or more over what they asked for.

FWIW, in my experience, going to a cheap salon just isn't worth it.

Yame
September 1st, 2011, 04:01 PM
This. ^^

I'm certain that's all gretchen_hair meant by her initial post. I'm actually a bit surprised it was taken the wrong way.

An inch doesn't seem a big deal to me; it wouldn't be a big deal if it had happened to me, but it didn't, it happened to the OP.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, OP, but it's important indeed to put things into perspective. After all, it's 1 inch! It'll grow back in no time.

That's how I had interpreted it, as well.

An inch *would* be a big deal to me, and that's *exactly* why I trim my own hair and no one else.

I can actually commiserate, I would be sad too if I had lost that much length, but it could have been worse, and this is the perspective that I think is valid for people to offer.

Just because it could have been worse doesn't mean the OP doesn't have the right to be upset, but it DOES mean the OP shouldn't have acted towards the hairdresser and manager in the way that she did. I am sorry, but an extra inch is not enough loss to warrant throwing a tamper tantrum, calling people names, and storming out of the salon without paying.

After reading that, I have a hard time sympathizing.

SkinnyCookie
September 1st, 2011, 04:11 PM
Don't think it matters that it's still waist, you told them 1 inch and they took 2. End of story. Who is that tight &*&#37;& manager to tell you what you want done with your hair?

ETA: Meaning their reactions to you, the customer. The person who keeps them in business. I agree that you'll be fine, hon, 2 months isn't so terribly wrong, I'd mostly be pissed at the terrible customer service and disrespect.

rowie
September 1st, 2011, 04:13 PM
Super Hugs! and a big thank you for reminding me to avoid hair salons like the plague! This story as well as many others here in LHC, reminds me from now on to take care of my own hair literally.

julierockhead
September 1st, 2011, 04:23 PM
Salon workers are in the business of PLEASING their clients. Period. Following simple directions, being able to read a ruler or measure with fingers accurately, and manners are the very least that salon personnel should offer.

Whenever we pay for a service that was not to our liking, or meekly slink out of a salon after a bad experience with services/manners, it enables those people to DO IT AGAIN. I think it's great to communicate clearly that you are displeased, and underline it by not paying.

I have had some bad experiences too - and the "stylists" who gave me the bad experiences were, to a person, arrogant and absolutly unwilling to admit a mistake. I have had good experiences, with people who listened to me, and did what I asked. Seems simple right?:rolleyes:

Ligeia_13
September 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM
So basically, she cut off one inch more than you wanted. That will have grown back in the space of two months. Three, if you're a slow grower.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand how ****ty it feels. My hair has been hacked off worse than this twice. And I'm talking from almost waist up to just past shoulder. And I have to agree that sometimes, longer sections need to be cut in order for the hair to be even because hair tends to grow unevenly (like my bloody mop). But acting like a child because of a small slip up on her part? I don't get it.

Honestly, I don't see the big deal. And this is coming from someone who's been trying to get to waist length for YEARS.

Mesmerise
September 1st, 2011, 04:51 PM
That's how I had interpreted it, as well.

An inch *would* be a big deal to me, and that's *exactly* why I trim my own hair and no one else.

I can actually commiserate, I would be sad too if I had lost that much length, but it could have been worse, and this is the perspective that I think is valid for people to offer.

Just because it could have been worse doesn't mean the OP doesn't have the right to be upset, but it DOES mean the OP shouldn't have acted towards the hairdresser and manager in the way that she did. I am sorry, but an extra inch is not enough loss to warrant throwing a tamper tantrum, calling people names, and storming out of the salon without paying.

After reading that, I have a hard time sympathizing.

My issue though, is that she was VERY clear with the hairdresser. She said more than once how much she wanted cut off, and the hairdresser actually sounded snarky with her when she reminded her how much she wanted off! Then the hair dresser cuts of twice as much!! I think that is completely unprofessional and unacceptable. If you ask for 2cm off and get 6cm off you have a right to be pissed. No, it's not a LOT off in the whole scheme of things, but it's the fact that the OP was very clear with her expectations and they were ignored.

A good hairdresser will cut off EXACTLY what you ask and no more! And a GOOD manager will actually listen to the complaint of the client and not be dismissive because her hair is still long.

Lianna
September 1st, 2011, 05:10 PM

It's not that it doesn't matter, but cutting 2 inches in a pixie is a much bigger deal. It changes more the appearance of the face.

The OP has the right to be upset, but it isn't such a big deal since her hair is already quite long, her face probably looks the same. Some people haven't ever had waist length hair...you have it, OP, or are very close. You life probably haven't change because of this trim, but for some women, going very short has some bad aspects in life (the way people treat you). You can "react" to it, just not overreact...because it's a little bit of hair cut from a long hair.

UltraBella
September 1st, 2011, 06:12 PM
Salon workers are in the business of PLEASING their clients. Period. Following simple directions, being able to read a ruler or measure with fingers accurately, and manners are the very least that salon personnel should offer.

Whenever we pay for a service that was not to our liking, or meekly slink out of a salon after a bad experience with services/manners, it enables those people to DO IT AGAIN. I think it's great to communicate clearly that you are displeased, and underline it by not paying.

I have had some bad experiences too - and the "stylists" who gave me the bad experiences were, to a person, arrogant and absolutly unwilling to admit a mistake. I have had good experiences, with people who listened to me, and did what I asked. Seems simple right?:rolleyes:

Simple, no. Because some clients are IMPOSSIBLE to please.

DakarNick
September 1st, 2011, 06:14 PM
Sorry, Kitteh! I read almost all the posts about cutting too much hair. It seems like most hairstylists are scissor happy instead of trying to make the customer happy!

SusanSt
September 1st, 2011, 06:37 PM
What a disappointment for you, especially if you had some trepidation about going there in the first place. Hopefully, you'll have lots of good things going on in your life in the weeks to come, and your length will be back before you notice!

McFearless
September 1st, 2011, 06:38 PM
I'm so sorry. :( I know what its like to have a hairdresser do whatever the heck they want. It doesn't matter if you're at classic or knee its still not okay. I'm impressed you stood up for yourself, good for you. I hope these two months go by really fast.

Hopefully those who are looking to get a trim can read this and make sure to do a bit of research before stepping into a random salon. Know your stylist first.

InTheCity
September 1st, 2011, 06:47 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you. The whole experience was uncalled for, especially the way you were treated after.

The good news is, like others have said, she cut just one inch too much. In LHC terms, that's crazy talk - two whole months of growth! But if you take a step back and really really think about it, you'll get that back in no time and your hemline will be nice and thick. Keep looking at the positive side.

And if that fails, look at the other horror stories (see: the last pic of my signature below when I hoped to go from BLS to APL at shortest...) and maybe you'll feel a slight bit of relief. :p

leslissocool
September 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM
Simple, no. Because some clients are IMPOSSIBLE to please.

I've been in the service industry too, so I know some clients are impossible to to please. But I think she was REALLY clear about how much she wanted off, and then the manage saying "it's still long, what's the big deal". I could kill someone who says that to me when I am upset over lost length.

OP I am so sorry, I hope it grows super quick and even so you can forget what happened. I have really horrible stories about salons. I haven't been to one in 6 years because I asked for layers and she gave me a mullet which then turned into a Monroe cut. I had tbl or longer.

It doesn't matter if it's an inch or 8, i's be upset too. Maybe talk to some friends who have longer hair and see where they get it cut?

ALSO: I have had my hair cut in the most exclusive salons in Europe, and the cheapest super cuts in the US. Scissor friendly hairdressers are EVERYWHERE. They key is to find a good one who will cut it the way you want it. I had a friend who spent 120 bucks on an expensive salon who did such a bad job the next hairdresser ask if she did it herself. And my little sister, who has no credentials at all gave me the best cut I have ever had. C'est la vie!

spidermom
September 1st, 2011, 08:02 PM
It really is IMPOSSIBLE to say something like 1 inch and have every hair that falls to the floor be exactly one inch long. Some will be 1/4 inch long and others might be as much as 2-1/2 inches long. That is because some hairs grow faster and other hairs grow slower, and what the stylist is usually trying to achieve is a happy medium where there will be an even hem of healthy hair.

Yame
September 1st, 2011, 08:58 PM
My issue though, is that she was VERY clear with the hairdresser. She said more than once how much she wanted cut off, and the hairdresser actually sounded snarky with her when she reminded her how much she wanted off! Then the hair dresser cuts of twice as much!! I think that is completely unprofessional and unacceptable. If you ask for 2cm off and get 6cm off you have a right to be pissed. No, it's not a LOT off in the whole scheme of things, but it's the fact that the OP was very clear with her expectations and they were ignored.

A good hairdresser will cut off EXACTLY what you ask and no more! And a GOOD manager will actually listen to the complaint of the client and not be dismissive because her hair is still long.

Over here, we read one side of the story. You can assume that side is right, you can assume they are wrong, or you can try to see both sides of the picture and try to be diplomatic.

When I read a post on a forum about a third party, I ALWAYS take the third route. Why? Because it could be me they are talking about. Just because someone is saying something on a forum doesn't mean I'll automatically take their side for the sake of it. This doesn't mean people will blatantly lie (although some do), but the way people tell events is affected by the way they perceived them, and especially when they are upset and emotional their perception may be inaccurate and clouded by their anger.

Right now there could be a post on a hairdressing forum, that might go something like this:

"I just came back from work, this client came in and asked me to trim an inch off her hair, no more than that. I said okay.

I began to cut her hair, but she was moving her head trying to inspect the hair on the floor to make sure I wasn't cutting any more than she told me! I cut about an inch off, and she told me in a very rude manner that she wanted no more than an inch cut. Don't people realize I can't cut hair if they don't keep still!?

She asked for a U hemline, so I gave her hemline an inch trim but since she was going from a blunt to a U, I had to cut a bit more on the sides to give her the U shape she wanted.

In the end, her hair looked gorgeous and healthy. But she was very upset, and called my manager to complain. My manager didn't see the big deal, so she kept arguing with us. My manager eventually apologized... I didn't even know what to say. We offered 25&#37; off her next appointment... that's when she called us "inept morons," and stormed off without paying!

I am crying so bad right now! This girl came in with long hair, left with beautiful long hair and a perfect U hemline, insulting us and without paying. We did not know whether to call the police or what, we ended up not doing anything but I just feel SO insulted right now. "

Is this what actually happened? I don't know. But it could be. She isn't here to tell her side of the story. Regardless of what happened, as I've said I can certainly understand being upset over having more length cut than desired, even if it was just a little. BUT throwing a temper tantrum is NOT warranted. If she had cut 2 years' worth of length, I could see arguing with management and refusing to pay, if it happened to me I could see myself crying right then and there, but it's not behavior I would condone. If you ask for a service and the person gives you something completely different, then yes you are justified to ask for your money back/not pay. But an extra inch? Nope. You do not get to act like that over an extra inch.

Was the behavior of the hairdresser and her manager professional? From the description here, I don't think so. Saying "what's the big deal, it's still waist length" isn't good customer service. But over an extra inch, you don't get to walk out without paying. Hair styling isn't an exact science. If you want to be cautious, cut it yourself.

LaurelSpring
September 1st, 2011, 09:41 PM
I know how bad this feels. This is the reason I self trim now. I couldnt stand to go through it ever again.

kidari
September 1st, 2011, 10:55 PM
I completely agree with everything Yame has said. I think if even cutting one inch of the length will freak out you that badly, it truly would be beneficial to learn how to trim your own hair. If losing length upsets me, I seriously only trim a single millimeter off my ends (only the strange longer ends that stick out). This also ensures that it's not uneven, as I found that if I do more significant trims, occasionally the ends are crooked and I need to cut more to even it out. At least I know what I'm doing and I have nobody to get mad at but myself. It's easier that way.

maria_asa
September 2nd, 2011, 12:50 AM
Over here, we read one side of the story. You can assume that side is right, you can assume they are wrong, or you can try to see both sides of the picture and try to be diplomatic.

When I read a post on a forum about a third party, I ALWAYS take the third route. Why? Because it could be me they are talking about. Just because someone is saying something on a forum doesn't mean I'll automatically take their side for the sake of it. This doesn't mean people will blatantly lie (although some do), but the way people tell events is affected by the way they perceived them, and especially when they are upset and emotional their perception may be inaccurate and clouded by their anger.

Right now there could be a post on a hairdressing forum, that might go something like this:

"I just came back from work, this client came in and asked me to trim an inch off her hair, no more than that. I said okay.

I began to cut her hair, but she was moving her head trying to inspect the hair on the floor to make sure I wasn't cutting any more than she told me! I cut about an inch off, and she told me in a very rude manner that she wanted no more than an inch cut. Don't people realize I can't cut hair if they don't keep still!?

She asked for a U hemline, so I gave her hemline an inch trim but since she was going from a blunt to a U, I had to cut a bit more on the sides to give her the U shape she wanted.

In the end, her hair looked gorgeous and healthy. But she was very upset, and called my manager to complain. My manager didn't see the big deal, so she kept arguing with us. My manager eventually apologized... I didn't even know what to say. We offered 25% off her next appointment... that's when she called us "inept morons," and stormed off without paying!

I am crying so bad right now! This girl came in with long hair, left with beautiful long hair and a perfect U hemline, insulting us and without paying. We did not know whether to call the police or what, we ended up not doing anything but I just feel SO insulted right now. "

Is this what actually happened? I don't know. But it could be. She isn't here to tell her side of the story. Regardless of what happened, as I've said I can certainly understand being upset over having more length cut than desired, even if it was just a little. BUT throwing a temper tantrum is NOT warranted. If she had cut 2 years' worth of length, I could see arguing with management and refusing to pay, if it happened to me I could see myself crying right then and there, but it's not behavior I would condone. If you ask for a service and the person gives you something completely different, then yes you are justified to ask for your money back/not pay. But an extra inch? Nope. You do not get to act like that over an extra inch.

Was the behavior of the hairdresser and her manager professional? From the description here, I don't think so. Saying "what's the big deal, it's still waist length" isn't good customer service. But over an extra inch, you don't get to walk out without paying. Hair styling isn't an exact science. If you want to be cautious, cut it yourself.

This.
You wrote exactly what I was thinking but in a much better way than I could ever do.

gretchen_hair
September 2nd, 2011, 08:41 AM
Yame and others were thinking like I was...I could hear the scenario playing out in my head like this:

I could hear the OP saying sternly...*CUT AN INCH ONLY AN INCH, REMEMBER, ONLY AN INCH!!!* and the stylist was quietly trying to do her job and the OP continued saying the same thing over and over again until the stylist finally got fed up and said....*I heard you the FIRST TWO TIMES* (meaning, I am not deaf, retarded or ignorant, I am trying to do my job here and you're stressing me)

I can hear the OP telling the manager.....*I had waist length hair, and now it's been cut 2 inches when I said ONE!!!!* and the manager saying....*it IS STILL WAIST LENGTH*, I don't get what you're saying, it's waist length, what's this big deal all about?

I don't know if it happened this way or not but I still don't see the stylist being a butcher over an inch of what the OP thought she lost and I don't see why the OP had a huge tantrum and refused to pay when she didn't have the opportunity to measure her hair until she got home. That said, she admitted that she saw wisps of hair that she cut off at home. How do we know that she didn't measure after her own snips? Maybe those wisps were the 1 inch that the stylist DID NOT take off?

I am not saying not to be upset if one loses length when they didn't expect to do so. In this situation the OP said take and inch and is making it appear that the stylist blatantly took 2. It doesn't seem like that's what was going on, it sounds like the stylist was doing her job and had a difficult customer and was trying to get through it as best she could. Look how upset the OP got when I suggested that maybe, just maybe the stylist wasn't *hacking* away and cutting off 2 inches.

I went to the salon to my trusted stylist, I told him I wanted a trim and a lot of my hair was longer in the middle due to an old V/U shape. It was like I had 3 inches hanging down in the middle, when combed down flat, it looked weird. The first time I went I did not want to *lose that length* and didn't allow him to cut it. After several months I realized it was just uneven in the middle and needed cut and I allowed him to. I told him that I had been freaking out before and we both laughed about it.

I think my hair just grows that way because I took a pic recently and it has that same longness in the middle. So, if my hair in the middle is 3 inches longer and I ask Ken for a 1 inch trim, some of that hair is going to be up to 4 inches long (approx 4 inches of hemline) unless I want to leave the salon with a hemline that has a chunk of longer hair in the middle.

To throw around words like God-dang BUTCHER, to a woman who *may* have cut 2 inches versus one is just uncalled for. When people come on here making rants like this and calling people morons and idiots and butchers and say they refused to pay for their service, I find it hard to believe what they are saying is the whole truth and I find it hard to be empathetic.

Hair stylists are not evil, they aren't stupid and they aren't out to get us all. They are people, human beings, trying t o do their jobs. yes, some make mistakes, we all do, some should not be hairdressers for whatever reason, but that doesn't make them morons. Being a hair stylist is being a good artist, some people have vision but don't have the talent to make it to fruition. Some stylists just *go by the book* or do exactly what the clients asks (gimme a mullet! ....ok...) I think it takes a special person to be a really good hair stylist. They have to be a good listener, have patience, business sense, common sense, talent, be artistic but be able to do as asked when needed. (some people come in and ask for atrocious styles and walk out disappointed when it looks awful, some people come in and say...*do as you wish* and end up disappointed because that isn't what they had in mind, it's a difficult job and sometimes there is no pleasing people)

Treat your stylist like a person, not like someone who is there to do your bidding, we are all people. If I clean y our office, don't treat me like a low life who doesn't exist, treat me with the respect that we all deserve. We are all people, no one is better than the other.

hibiscus
September 2nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
Yame and others were thinking like I was...I could hear the scenario playing out in my head like this:

I could hear the OP saying sternly...*CUT AN INCH ONLY AN INCH, REMEMBER, ONLY AN INCH!!!* and the stylist was quietly trying to do her job and the OP continued saying the same thing over and over again until the stylist finally got fed up and said....*I heard you the FIRST TWO TIMES* (meaning, I am not deaf, retarded or ignorant, I am trying to do my job here and you're stressing me)

I can hear the OP telling the manager.....*I had waist length hair, and now it's been cut 2 inches when I said ONE!!!!* and the manager saying....*it IS STILL WAIST LENGTH*, I don't get what you're saying, it's waist length, what's this big deal all about?

I don't know if it happened this way or not but I still don't see the stylist being a butcher over an inch of what the OP thought she lost and I don't see why the OP had a huge tantrum and refused to pay when she didn't have the opportunity to measure her hair until she got home. That said, she admitted that she saw wisps of hair that she cut off at home. How do we know that she didn't measure after her own snips? Maybe those wisps were the 1 inch that the stylist DID NOT take off?

I am not saying not to be upset if one loses length when they didn't expect to do so. In this situation the OP said take and inch and is making it appear that the stylist blatantly took 2. It doesn't seem like that's what was going on, it sounds like the stylist was doing her job and had a difficult customer and was trying to get through it as best she could. Look how upset the OP got when I suggested that maybe, just maybe the stylist wasn't *hacking* away and cutting off 2 inches.

I went to the salon to my trusted stylist, I told him I wanted a trim and a lot of my hair was longer in the middle due to an old V/U shape. It was like I had 3 inches hanging down in the middle, when combed down flat, it looked weird. The first time I went I did not want to *lose that length* and didn't allow him to cut it. After several months I realized it was just uneven in the middle and needed cut and I allowed him to. I told him that I had been freaking out before and we both laughed about it.

I think my hair just grows that way because I took a pic recently and it has that same longness in the middle. So, if my hair in the middle is 3 inches longer and I ask Ken for a 1 inch trim, some of that hair is going to be up to 4 inches long (approx 4 inches of hemline) unless I want to leave the salon with a hemline that has a chunk of longer hair in the middle.

To throw around words like God-dang BUTCHER, to a woman who *may* have cut 2 inches versus one is just uncalled for. When people come on here making rants like this and calling people morons and idiots and butchers and say they refused to pay for their service, I find it hard to believe what they are saying is the whole truth and I find it hard to be empathetic.

Hair stylists are not evil, they aren't stupid and they aren't out to get us all. They are people, human beings, trying t o do their jobs. yes, some make mistakes, we all do, some should not be hairdressers for whatever reason, but that doesn't make them morons. Being a hair stylist is being a good artist, some people have vision but don't have the talent to make it to fruition. Some stylists just *go by the book* or do exactly what the clients asks (gimme a mullet! ....ok...) I think it takes a special person to be a really good hair stylist. They have to be a good listener, have patience, business sense, common sense, talent, be artistic but be able to do as asked when needed. (some people come in and ask for atrocious styles and walk out disappointed when it looks awful, some people come in and say...*do as you wish* and end up disappointed because that isn't what they had in mind, it's a difficult job and sometimes there is no pleasing people)

Treat your stylist like a person, not like someone who is there to do your bidding, we are all people. If I clean y our office, don't treat me like a low life who doesn't exist, treat me with the respect that we all deserve. We are all people, no one is better than the other.

I agree with what this person said. I would have had sympathy for you but you do come across as very rude which is going to get people's backs up, sorry.

spidermom
September 2nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
True Yame; there are two sides to every story.

I had a perm years ago, and at the same time another customer who had recently had a color service was asking for a perm. The stylist told her that it wouldn't be a good idea because of how porous and fragile the ends of her hair were, and the customer insisted that she had had both color and perms many times before, and she knew "better than anybody" what her hair could and could not take.

Unfortunately, the stylist did not get a signed waiver. At the end, when the ends turned out something like cotton candy, the customer cried and screamed and called her husband, who also yelled at the poor stylist, and then they left without paying for a service that had taken more than an hour of the stylist's time. I felt so bad for her (the stylist).

Yame
September 2nd, 2011, 08:28 PM
True Yame; there are two sides to every story.

I had a perm years ago, and at the same time another customer who had recently had a color service was asking for a perm. The stylist told her that it wouldn't be a good idea because of how porous and fragile the ends of her hair were, and the customer insisted that she had had both color and perms many times before, and she knew "better than anybody" what her hair could and could not take.

Unfortunately, the stylist did not get a signed waiver. At the end, when the ends turned out something like cotton candy, the customer cried and screamed and called her husband, who also yelled at the poor stylist, and then they left without paying for a service that had taken more than an hour of the stylist's time. I felt so bad for her (the stylist).

My mother is a hairstylist and I have worked with her at various salons as a receptionist and an assistant. I have seen and heard many similar stories.

Some people are impossible to please.

MonaLisa
September 2nd, 2011, 08:35 PM
Really dislike how this thread is developing.
Is it the same people who say you need to CLEARLY say how much you want taken off to stylist?
and to not sit and watch but that you have right to ask/stop her...
Exactly what OP did. too bad it didn't work....

Now i see some blaming her for saying it twice and ' disturbing' the stylist...

2 inches instead MAX 1 inch can be hurtful, and while manager or most people out there won't see what's the big deal, i think we here should perfectly understand OP and provide comfort...

Two sides to every story - true
also we can apply this to every single thread and question every person here...

after all, it's not about whose side you are on...it's about how OP is feeling about her hair now...

longblondetan
September 2nd, 2011, 08:42 PM
Not all stylist are bad, I always undertrim hair because I am trying to hold onto my inches!! lol I have to ask, and im not trying to be rude, but you stated that your hair had no damage or splits, why did you trim it?

Mesmerise
September 2nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
Not all stylist are bad, I always undertrim hair because I am trying to hold onto my inches!! lol I have to ask, and im not trying to be rude, but you stated that your hair had no damage or splits, why did you trim it?

I rarely get splits but even so, my hair gets "straggly" when it's not trimmed at least every few months, simply because of the different rates of hair growth. For that reason, I get a trim to make my ends look nice! I'd assume the OP had a similar reason for cutting her hair.

Now, of course, I trim my hair all by myself!! It's not as good as a professional trim, but at least I can guarantee that when I want 1" trimmed, I get 1" trimmed...not more...

julliams
September 2nd, 2011, 08:53 PM
I have to be honest and say that I kind of expect that this will happen whenever I go for a trim at a salon. I think it happens because small amounts get cut at a time to even things out, and when you add them all up, it goes above an inch. This is one of the reasons I get a little anxious before I step into a salon.

If it were me (and has been me) I would be a little annoyed at the setback. In the past I have personally had a little mini growth spurt after my trims so if this happens to you, you might find that you make up those two inches pretty quickly. After all, we are talking months here - that's not really a huge amount of time when you think about it.

Perhaps you can look into self-trimming from now on. Take this trim as a good base to work from in the future and then you can have total control.

Lianna
September 2nd, 2011, 08:53 PM
I don't have splits or damage, but trim 2mm every month. I like my ends (and layers) very even. We don't have to have damaged hair to trim. Don't assume someone trimmed because they had damaged hair.

longblondetan
September 2nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
I don't have splits or damage, but trim 2mm every month. I like my ends (and layers) very even. We don't have to have damaged hair to trim. Don't assume someone trimmed because they had damaged hair.

I didn't assume, that's why I asked. I just wanted to know, thanks for clarifying.

Lianna
September 2nd, 2011, 09:42 PM
I didn't assume, that's why I asked. I just wanted to know, thanks for clarifying.

I was speaking generally really. Many people here don't see other reasons to trim, when we are trying to grow hair. Even my mom was like this. :p

longblondetan
September 2nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
I dont trim unless my hair needs it! im too attached lol. and my hair grows out pretty evenly.

Nipushiau
September 2nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Dude, that sucks. *Hugs* I feel your pain. For similar reasons, I haven't been to a professional in 13 years. The thing I hate about hairdressers, is that they try to convince me that it's better to cut my length off, because I'm "young" and have the rest of my life to grow my hair long, and long hair is for old ladies, and cutting it all off will help it grow faster, and etc....

Anyways, I hope your hair recovers quickly and better than ever.

UltraBella
September 2nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
Dude, that sucks. *Hugs* I feel your pain. For similar reasons, I haven't been to a professional in 13 years. The thing I hate about hairdressers, is that they try to convince me that it's better to cut my length off, because I'm "young" and have the rest of my life to grow my hair long, and long hair is for old ladies, and cutting it all off will help it grow faster, and etc....

Anyways, I hope your hair recovers quickly and better than ever.

That's so funny to me because as a professional, I never see old ladies with long hair in real life. Never !!! They always have short, permed hair. Old ladies LOVE their perms ! As most women age their hair thins and the perm makes it poofy ;)

justgreen
September 2nd, 2011, 10:38 PM
That's so funny to me because as a professional, I never see old ladies with long hair in real life. Never !!! They always have short, permed hair. Old ladies LOVE their perms ! As most women age their hair thins and the perm makes it poofy ;)

I'm an old woman with long hair.;)

dulce
September 2nd, 2011, 11:00 PM
I'll be 60 next year so i guess I'm old too,I still have waist length gray streaked hair.Not all old ladies have short permed hair,the majority do but not all.I grew my hair back long after seeing several local older ladies with long gray hair.They were my inspiration. You see the short haired ones that come in for their salon cuts and salon perms and salon colour-for those that dye still but many like me with long hair look after it themselves[I cut and condition at home] and don't need a salon.

UltraBella
September 2nd, 2011, 11:09 PM
Of course there are plenty of women with long hair who are no longer considered "young". I never even implied that long haired old women don't exist, I just made a light hearted comment about all the ones *I* have seen in real life. And with two salons, I see a whole lot of them. Even when out and about, outside of work, I never see older gals with long hair. I think it's lovely to look at, but I don't get the chance often.....

Lianna
September 2nd, 2011, 11:19 PM
In my country long hair is very common, even in "old ladies". I like to point them out to my mom, so she grows hers long too. :D The perm stuff sounds good too, I might do that when I'm an old lady with thinning hair.

justgreen
September 2nd, 2011, 11:27 PM
Of course there are plenty of women with long hair who are no longer considered "young". I never even implied that long haired old women don't exist, I just made a light hearted comment about all the ones *I* have seen in real life. And with two salons, I see a whole lot of them. Even when out and about, outside of work, I never see older gals with long hair. I think it's lovely to look at, but I don't get the chance often.....

I know your comment was light hearted, that's why I winked.:D

fairytalehair
September 3rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
I'm so sorry. I know it is heartbreaking. You're best bet is to just look at this as a fresh start with new ends and condition the heck out of them so you dont have to get it cut for forever. Just try to think positive and it will be ok!

Sookie
September 3rd, 2011, 04:26 AM
I feel your pain :( Yesterday i went to the hairdresser and i told her to remove 1 cm ...or maybe 2 cm max. I was BSL for the time of my life and i was planning to do microytrims every month so i won't loose my lengh. She chopped about 3 fingers :( Now i am back to APL :( :(

Demetrue
September 3rd, 2011, 04:38 AM
I think what have upset you the most, OP, is the feeling of being disrespected and not being listened to by both the stylist and the manager. In my experience, it is really easy to come out of a long haired trim with your hair about two inches shorter, unless you specifically go to a long hair salon and they have you stand when they trim and they measure meticulously with a ruler, etc. However, a professional should not snap at a client when the client is describing exactly what they want and the manager should try to be a calming force when the client is genuinely unhappy. I can't ever imagine a manager saying "It's no big deal" to a client's face (even if that's what they were thinking). I think this only served to escalate the client's pain. Perhaps an acknowledgement of "Yes, I see you are not happy with the outcome, let's see what we can do," could have helped direct the situation towards some sense of resolution.

Based on a person's past experience, something like losing more hair length than you choose, can feel like a traumatic violation, OR it can feel like no big deal.

DiablitaNoir
September 3rd, 2011, 07:05 AM
*hugs* Sorry you had to go through that. That poor excuse for a "hairdresser" should be slapped and so should the manager! This is why I haven't been to the hairdresser in more than 3 years, split ends and all! I have almost hip-length hair and I'm absolutely terrified of being chopped. I'm considering looking into self-trimming to get rid of the splits and thicken up the hemline. Anyway, I promise your hair will be back to its original length (and then some) in no time! ;)

Hairitic
September 3rd, 2011, 07:56 AM
"Sometimes the damage and splits aren't at the exact one inch mark, sometimes there has to be some leeway"

Regardless of the amount of damage/splits involved, if a client tells the "professional" to cut a specific amount, it means to cut that amount and disregard any damage above that. When it is stated to cut a specific amount, there's no implication that the hairdresser should use her own judgement as to what she thinks is the "best" amount to cut off. If I have waist length hair, I may have damage and splits beginning at ear length. If I tell the Hairdresser to cut off 1 inch and she cuts it off above my ears because "there are splits and damage up to that point", the "professional" hasn't done what I've contracted them to do. Most contractors and professionals don't get paid when they don't fulfill the terms of the contract. This situation may not seem so dramatic, still the terms of the contract weren't fulfilled.

annieangel149
September 3rd, 2011, 08:56 AM

yes! i totally agree with your post mesmerise! Its not about how much is cut off when i read these posts! Its about the principle of the matter! Im sure hairdressers have had to deal with alot of clients that they have felt have been totally over the top but hairdressers are NEVER to be rude and as difficult as it may be for them sometimes they should remain professional! what a stupid manager! what was he thinking! *shakes head*

annieangel149
September 3rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
"Sometimes the damage and splits aren't at the exact one inch mark, sometimes there has to be some leeway"

Regardless of the amount of damage/splits involved, if a client tells the "professional" to cut a specific amount, it means to cut that amount and disregard any damage above that. When it is stated to cut a specific amount, there's no implication that the hairdresser should use her own judgement as to what she thinks is the "best" amount to cut off. If I have waist length hair, I may have damage and splits beginning at ear length. If I tell the Hairdresser to cut off 1 inch and she cuts it off above my ears because "there are splits and damage up to that point", the "professional" hasn't done what I've contracted them to do. Most contractors and professionals don't get paid when they don't fulfill the terms of the contract. This situation may not seem so dramatic, still the terms of the contract weren't fulfilled.

i absolutely agree with this to! couldn't have put the words better myself

missdelarocha
September 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I think some people also need to understand that many clients don't notice or bother much about how much is specifically cut off, it's the end result, as this is a community generally speaking that is more focused toward actually measuring it can be difficult because it is like a different mind set toward cutting hair, the only way you can be absolutely sure of how much you cut off is by doing it yourself, even when I cut my own hair I always end up cutting more off! But I'm okay with it because I did it.

I think that of course, there are two sides of this story and neither party probably felt good about the situation afterwards!

It is another debate on whether OP should have paid or not, I suppose the situation was escalated by both parties, OP becoming emotional and the manager being insensitive, it was not handled well by either.

We all know the pain of losing too much hair but as it is done now we can worry about taking extra care of our 'fresh' ends :D