PDA

View Full Version : A confession and a plea

VitisVinifera
August 27th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I'll just come out and admit it - I can't braid my own hair. Well, side braids, yes, and certainly someone else's hair, but I can not for the life of me make a simple, single english braid in the back of my head. I have searched and searched and found exactly two videos on how to do it, but they both braided very fast and were kind of hard to follow. I feel like the biggest idiot when I see all your beautiful braids:(

So. If someone could direct me to a good, slow, well-lit video, or post a step-by-step explanation (think Braiding for Dummies:D), I would be forever grateful. I know I will have to practice a lot but right now I'd just like to be able to start. TIA!

neko_kawaii
August 27th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Do you look in the mirror while you are trying to braid? If so, stop. I recently learned to Dutch/French braid my own hair and once I walked away from the mirror it came so easily and I remembered having the same problem with an English braid. Also, I mastered nice straight twin braids long before I mastered a single centered English braid. I would practice on side braids until you feel confident your hands know the motions of doing a braid on your own head.

For a centered English braid, reach back and gather your hair into a pony at your nape, then separate it into three equal parts (sometimes this has to be redone after you do a plat or two and realize they aren't quite even. If they are close enough, just go with it.) and run your fingers down the divisions all the way to the tips to completely separate the sections. One hand will hold two sections while the second hand does the division then switch the middle section into the second hand so that the second hand is holding both sections and the first hand does the other division. Now, keeping your hands centered at the nape start the plats and continue with your hands behind you plating as far down as you can reach then holding the sections apart with one hand at the bottom of what you have braided thus far bring your hair over the most comfortable shoulder. Most right handed people finish their braid over their left shoulder. Note the direction of the existing plats and pick up where you left off. Remember, you will need to run your hand down the sections to prevent the ends from tangling and reverse braiding themselves. I find every couple plats works for me but the thinner the braid, the more frequently I have to untangle the ends.

Theobroma
August 27th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Have you seen this video (http://youtu.be/2kOyGD_KOoA)?

Delila
August 27th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Karen Ribble's (http://www.braidedimage.com/Braided_Image_Hair_Braiding/Instructions.html) booklets and dvds are quite helpful.

Remyy
August 27th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I never knew how to braid either, then I started watching Loepsie's (http://www.youtube.com/Loepsie#p/u/10/sJhJipkRCKY) videos and it helped a ton. Shes kinda charismatic so that helped too :).

SkinnyCookie
August 27th, 2011, 10:56 AM
That's great help. I've always been a longhair, but I had an older sister who was always more than happy (or demanding) that she do/braid my hair. Now she's going away and I cannot braid at all (!), but I think with these instructions and a LOT of practice, I could do it.

SkinnyCookie
August 27th, 2011, 10:59 AM
BTW, does anyone here have a good set of instructions for the simplest updo they've ever heard of? It took me 3 days to learn how to do a double stick bun, and I can't always repeat it.

Yame
August 27th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't know how to begin to do an English or French braid. I can do "regular" braids (whatever they are called), and I recently learned how to do a rope braid, but that's all I can do.

But then again, I've never even tried an English or French braid. I plan on checking out some tutorials and learning sometime in the near future... but I'm not in a rush. I'm not a huge fan of braids on my hair, and want to learn it just so that I don't feel so left out on LHC...

So, you're not alone!

Idjit
August 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM
A regular braid IS an English braid.

Yame
August 27th, 2011, 11:30 AM
A regular braid IS an English braid.

Really? Then I guess I just need to learn how to do a French braid, then :D

GlassWidow
August 27th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I always find it amazing that I can do a french braid with relative simplicity, but a dutch braid confuses the heck out of me. Someone taught me to french braid when I was a teen, but I've had very little success learning new braids using videos. I need hands-on tutorials, apparently.

Maybe that's what I should do during the hurricane - practice braiding!

VitisVinifera
August 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
My problem basically is I can't translate the movements from a braid in front of me, with my thumbs pointing up, into what I need to do behind me, with my thumbs pointing down. I can do side braids all day long, but when I try just one in the back it feels like I'm trying to do it upside down and backwards.

I'll watch torrin's video a few more times, try to figure out which fingers go where, and report back!

Yame
August 27th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I always find it amazing that I can do a french braid with relative simplicity, but a dutch braid confuses the heck out of me. Someone taught me to french braid when I was a teen, but I've had very little success learning new braids using videos. I need hands-on tutorials, apparently.

Maybe that's what I should do during the hurricane - practice braiding!

Good idea... maybe I should find a tutorial before we lose power... lol

jeanniet
August 27th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I'm a braiding dolt myself, and watching videos helped but really you just need to practice and figure out what's easiest for you. I found that slotting the sections of hair between my thumb and index finger and then index finger and middle finger worked best. I braid at the back until the braid is long enough to come over my shoulder, and then braid in front. I still can't do a French braid (actually just the thought of doing one exasperates me), but I can do a decent enough English braid now. It just takes lots of practice.

Kindredraeven
August 27th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Have you seen this video (http://youtu.be/2kOyGD_KOoA)?
Definatley watch this video,,, she is a great help :)

archel
August 27th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I can do French, Dutch, English, and waterfall - but I cannot for the LIFE of me do a simple rope braid. It is ridiculous! I feel ya!

manderly
August 27th, 2011, 11:54 PM
My problem basically is I can't translate the movements from a braid in front of me, with my thumbs pointing up, into what I need to do behind me, with my thumbs pointing down. I can do side braids all day long, but when I try just one in the back it feels like I'm trying to do it upside down and backwards.

I'll watch torrin's video a few more times, try to figure out which fingers go where, and report back!

Ditto here. I can braid with my palms/thumbs up - can't braid with my palms/thumbs down. It's backwards!! All I can do is a side braid. Bah.