PDA

View Full Version : different textures/width of hair strands

bna_rapunzel
August 26th, 2011, 12:02 AM
LHC makes me notice the most odd things sometimes...
So I was examining a hair that got plastered to my wall during my shower, and my hair is super thick and dark in some parts of the strand and wayyy light and a wee bit thinner on other parts.
Mind you, I have hip length, medium blonde straight hair that is fine and fairly thin, kind of medium. (I'm not entirely sure how to hair type.)
I have to ask, is this normal? :)

Charybdis
August 26th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Hmm. I have immense variability between strands, but thickness and texture is always consistent within a single individual strand. I have had color variation within a strand when a hair was going gray (shading from brown at the tip, through blond, to white at the root).

That's just me, though! There's an amazing amount of human diversity within the "normal" range.

Audhumla
August 26th, 2011, 05:30 AM
In an article I just read about split ends it said that sections of a strand of your hair that are thinner and/or lighter are where the shaft of the hair has split half way down the length of your hair so that it begins and ends as a single strand but has a split in the middle.

nobeltonya
August 26th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I also notice a few thin, blonde-ish hairs in the midst of my dark brown/reddish hair.. those are generally the ones that I find with splits. And some are like massively thick and black. *shrugs*

bna_rapunzel
August 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Hmmm... my hair is extremely strong and really healthy. I keep it up all the time, usually in braids (I work almost 60 hours a week, its not too hard to protect my locks), I'm no heat, no product. If that's what my hair grows like, then so be it. :)
If it makes any difference, my hair is blonde but up close I have some coarse, reddish light brown strands here and there.
Thanks for all your input ladies. :D

CurlyCap
August 26th, 2011, 05:43 PM
My strands vary is thickness depending on where on my head they are.

The ones in the front, near the temples, are baby fine, and tend to be almost brown. The ones near the center of my scalp and nearer the nape are sewing thread thick and jet black.

As long as I don't see split ends and the hair looks to be well moisturized, I leave genetics alone. :D

BlazingHeart
August 26th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I occasionally find strands that vary in color and thickness. My hair is tough, strong, and healthy, and I almost never get splits. So I'm disinclined to believe that these are splits.

~Blaze

TrudieCat
August 26th, 2011, 08:54 PM
My strands vary widely in coarseness, and in color. I have strands of hair that are super light blonde and strands that are a deeper brown, not to mention the odd white/gray. My hair is mostly coarse but the thickness varies noticeably from strand to strand. They also vary in level of waviness and in texture. I have some strands that have a kinky sort of texture, as in the strand itself is twisted around its central axis (if that makes sense), forming a tight zigzag shape all the way down the strand. Oddly enough, those strands tend to be straighter than my not-twisted strands, which form loose spirals.

But yeah, I think what you're describing is totally normal. :) I, like you, have begun to notice all this sort of thing since joining LHC. :o

ETA: One thing I have noticed is that my most coarse strands tend to be the darkest brown hair on my head, while my more medium-thick strands vary from almost white blonde to very light brown.