PDA

View Full Version : Normal curly hair loss

mistofvongola
August 20th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Question: How much daily hair loss is normal for curly haired people? In particular, I'm curious about how much hair you lose in the shower.

Background: I have 3b curly hair that is about BSL. In the last couple months or so, I've noticed that my hairline has moved upward, and as a result, my hair is thinner in the front.

It seems like I've always lost a lot of hair in the shower since my hair has been shoulder length or longer (about six or seven years). Given my thinning hair of late, I've been especially cautious of the amount of hair coming out.

Is this too much (picture links below)? Each wad of hair is basically one day (Monday morning, Tuesday morning, etc.).

Whole thing for perspective (http://i.imgur.com/2L15Y.jpg)
First week (http://i.imgur.com/Rj37w.jpg)
Second week thus far... (http://i.imgur.com/FVDWf.jpg)

katsrevenge
August 20th, 2011, 12:49 PM
How many hairs is in each ball? Normal is around a hundred or a bit more or less. I know when my hair is as long as yours 10 of the buggers makes a really sizable ball.

Hotrox
August 20th, 2011, 12:57 PM
It looks pretty similar to me! I know now I wear my hair curly, and often up I loose a lot in the shower. I figure that if I brushed my hair daily, or the hairs were smooth and straight so that those that fell out during the day and just fell to the floor so I didn't notice them, there would probably be much less in the shower plughole.

Also, once each hair is longer it will look like more in total but really its the same amount of hair as there ever was and up to 100 hairs a day is apparently about normal and I don't think there is more than this in your photos.

mistofvongola
August 20th, 2011, 01:21 PM
It's hard to count them because they're so knotted from collecting at the drain. I suppose I could count the roots though. Maybe I should have posted some pictures of my hair for reference.

Here's a picture of my curl type (http://i.imgur.com/KtkwH.jpg), dry. Also, a picture from this morning (http://i.imgur.com/fMeEi.jpg), it's still wet though. It's a little blurred because I don't have a good camera, just my phone...

I mostly just wanted to make sure the hair loss wasn't excessive. These posts are somewhat reassuring though. :)

virgo75
August 20th, 2011, 01:39 PM
My shed rate varies based on how often I wash & detangle, and what I use on my scalp. Also, my curly hair fluffs when dry so a dry hair ball looks HUGE compared to a wet one and might look like more hair than it actually is.

I 2nd the suggestion to count them. One gross, but efficient way to do this is to run your hands through your hair while you're showering and grab the hairs that are coming out and stick them to the shower wall. If I have the time I would count them while sticking them to the wall 1 at a time with each rinse and smooth. Then when done with my shower I collect the whole mess and throw it out.

From your pics your hair doesn't look thin or thinning from what I can tell. But if after counting you're still concerned you might want to go to a doctor just to make sure everything is ok. :)

AlexiaBlue
August 20th, 2011, 01:45 PM
To me it looks just about normal. I'm curly too, and I shed about that much when I wash my hair. I figure it's because I don't comb or brush my dry hair (I only finger comb with TONS of conditioner while in the shower), and I don't shed that much otherwise.

Also -- I found that using castor oil has helped with the hairline moving upward. I was experiencing the same thing, but since I've been using CO, I'm seeing all sorts of new baby hairs along my hairline where they weren't before. :) Of course, I've also been babying my hair since discovering LHC, so that has helped as well, I'm sure. My hairline has really filled in. It's crazy (in a good way).

mistofvongola
August 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I only finger comb with TONS of conditioner while in the shower Yeah, I need a ton of conditioner as well.

I found that using castor oil has helped with the hairline moving upward.
I'll definitely try castor oil, thanks! ... where would I find castor oil at the store? Can I get it at walmart?

I was experiencing the same thing, but since I've been using CO, I'm seeing all sorts of new baby hairs along my hairline where they weren't before. I mostly CO wash with Suave Naturals coconut but find that I have to clarify one a week or every other week because my hair starts get too stringy from build up.

mistofvongola
August 20th, 2011, 03:06 PM
My shed rate varies based on how often I wash & detangle, and what I use on my scalp. I've been trying a little olive oil in my hair every or every other night, and scalp massaging in the shower when CO and before I go to bed.

Also, my curly hair fluffs when dry so a dry hair ball looks HUGE compared to a wet one and might look like more hair than it actually is. I don't know why I didn't think about that! I definitely feel a little better already. :P

One gross, but efficient way to do this is to run your hands through your hair while you're showering and grab the hairs that are coming out and stick them to the shower wall. If I have the time I would count them while sticking them to the wall 1 at a time with each rinse and smooth. Then when done with my shower I collect the whole mess and throw it out. I already do that to keep the drain from getting clogged, but I don't know if I'd have time to count them. I take too long in the shower as it is. I'll try counting them though. Thanks.

From your pics your hair doesn't look thin or thinning from what I can tell The thinning is mostly in front at the sides. When it's wet, the locks are more stringy, and I can see skin through my hair on the sides of my head toward the front. It's not as bad when it dries though.

McFearless
August 20th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Its not normal for your hair to thin to the point its obvious. There might be an underlying issue.