PDA

View Full Version : I Thin My Hair at the Salon... is That Bad?

Mingle
August 7th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I'm sorry for asking so many questions! I'm still a newbie, after all. :rolleyes:

Whenever I go in to get a trim (usually every 6 months), I re-layer my hair to encourage wurliness, and I ask the stylist to thin out my hair. I do this, because I have LOTS of thick hair and it is normally very poofy and frizzy. Thinning it out makes it so that it looks like I have less.

(In case for someone who doesn't know, "thinning" is usually done by combing a razor through hair and cutting it out at random. This can also be done with scissors, but it looks more natural with a razor.)

After reading and learning so much on this forum, I'm starting to question everything I do to my poor hair. :confused: So I felt like I should ask, is this okay to do? Or rather, is this harmful to my hair?

Any advice, tips, alternatives, and information is greatly welcomed and appreciated! :D

prosperina
August 7th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I don't see anything wrong with thinning out your hair, if that's what you want to do. I'm very much against it for myself, but I don't know how it would hurt your hair. Others may know more about this. Such as are scissors or razors better. (I would guess scissors might be better for your hair?) However, as far as the poofiness goes, thinning can add to the poofy since when those thinned out hairs grow back they could seem poofy/frizzy, whereas if you keep it long (and this takes time) the length will pull the poof down.

Flossy
August 7th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Back it the day, the razor on my layers used to shred my hair into splits. I wouldn't let one near my hair.

If you like it, and your hair is healthy and you are happy with it, then I can't see any problem!

christine1989
August 8th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I've heard from quite a few members that the diagonal cut of a razor can make your hair more prone to splits. I had my hair razored once (only once!) and it split like crazy while with a blunt cut it will never split. I would check for splits but if you don't have any then I don't see why you should stop.

Sundial
August 8th, 2011, 12:26 AM
It's not good for the hair, but if it works for you and you like it then you don't have to stop if you don't want to :) it was something I used to like my stylist to do when my hair was much shorter (between chin and shoulder) but I know I had to stop doing it if I want longer healthier hair

littleflowerr
August 8th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I have thick poofy hair and asked my hair stylist to thin out my hair with the razors and mind you this was 2 years ago. I regretted it ever since because my hair got so many split ends no matter how much i put it up and conditioned it. I use to never get split ends but i def had the worst of split ends. Ever since then i've been growing out the layers and getting a more blunt cut. Feels and looks much better now. I know some people like my mom just love it! So if you like it, why not!

Avital88
August 8th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I've heard from quite a few members that the diagonal cut of a razor can make your hair more prone to splits. I had my hair razored once (only once!) and it split like crazy while with a blunt cut it will never split. I would check for splits but if you don't have any then I don't see why you should stop.

Yes this i heard too, and i noticed it myself too, i really dont understand why my hairdresser made my hair thinner years ago.
Is your hair really that thick that is its necessary?

Mingle
August 8th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Le gasp! That explains the random split ends. I don't have very many, but I thought it was odd that I had split ends right after a trim. :?

Oh well, my hair grows out pretty fast (I went from right at shoulder length to a bit past BSL in a year) so I'm not worried. BUT! Is there anything else I can do to make my hair not so... big? xD
I'm not sure how else to explain that.

einna
August 8th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Hi. A hairdresser once told me that with my hairtype (fine, thick, dry, wavy, poofy..), I should not thin my hair like that. It would be hard on the ends, and give a poofy helmet effect.

Things to do is get it layered with "bigger chunks", I think you can get it thinned without the special scissors or razor, but this takes longer, and you probably need to ask espessially for it.

you can also grow it longer so that it gets more weight, and use a lot of moisture (like CO and leave ins) and oils to keep it from poofing as much. I sleep with braids on a satin pillowcase, this reduces friction and keeps my hair in place.

julliams
August 8th, 2011, 03:57 AM
My hairdresser told me that curly/wavy hair should never be cut with a razor. Everytime I went to a salon they always told me they were going to "thin out my hair" and I always end up with something I call the "verandah out the back" which means that the top layer at the canopy ends up frizzy and unruly. Now that my hair is all one length it is SO much easier to handle and I think it looks thinner than when they thinned it out, because it sits closer to my head.

However, if you like the result on your own hair - no harm done. You should do what suits you and what you are comfortable with.

pepperminttea
August 8th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Is there anything else I can do to make my hair not so... big? xD
I'm not sure how else to explain that.

Are you trying to grow your hair or maintain the length? :) I ask because when my hair has more length and weight it makes it a lot less big, especially after BSL. At shoulder length I get the 'triangle head' look going on if I'm not careful. :o

TrudieCat
August 8th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Not bad if you like it! :) I find that, when I've had my hair thinned at the salon in the past, it's required more styling to look nice - I can't really wash and go. It'll need more heat-smoothing, but it'll look good in the end.

Two things make my hair less poofy. 1) Growing it longer :D, and 2) Manipulating it less when it's dry (this includes finger-combing and definitely includes regular combing)

You might like this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43020&highlight=thick-haired+unite

And welcome! :flower:

heidi.maryke
August 8th, 2011, 04:47 AM
I have my hair thinned (not too much) and have no damage from it as my hd uses thinning scissors, not by razoring. No idea how they work but my hair agrees with it :) having your hair thinned isn't all that bad.

Ginny Mae
August 8th, 2011, 04:59 AM
My hair sounds fairly similar to yours (wavy, poofy etc.) and I had a hairdresser razor my hair pretty extensively a year ago. Or at least I asked her for layers and she then used a razor on it for about 20 minutes (I didn't know then what I know now or I would have stopped her)! I am still finding all these weird splits where the hair hasn't split from the bottom like normal, but a piece of hair has come away a couple of inches up the strand. I'm convinced it's from the razoring because I've never seen anything else like it!

I do think my hair sits more nicely when it's all one length - for me having a shorter top layer is a disaster because the shorter my hair is the more it poofs out! So I totally understand the "veranda" thing, I'm trying to grow one of my own out!

lapispimpernel
August 8th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I had my hair thinned once, three years ago. There's a definite line- nice smooth hair above, annoying flyaways below. My hair is really particular, though, and it may work for you.

spitfire511
August 8th, 2011, 06:30 AM
With the others - it's all on what agrees with your hair. :) Mine splits like madness when anyone comes within 2 feet of it with a razor. "Chunking" shears aren't really a problem for me, and I have found sometimes that it looks better with some texture in the ends - especially when it's shorter than APL-BSL.

At the moment though -since my goal is waist, I'm not cutting, texturing or even trimming (egads!). I'm dealing with the volume at the ends, and just keeping it up until it's long enough to look normal. :D

JuliaDancer
August 8th, 2011, 06:41 AM
When my hairdresser used to layer my hair, he wouldn't use a razor. He would always use scissors. He would hold the hair straight up from the head and cut it pretty bluntly, but when he dropped it, it would fall into natural looking layers. It wouldn't look blunt once it was down. If you like it thinned, maybe ask them to do it like that?

Charybdis
August 8th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Your hairdresser needs a proper pair of thinning shears, like this: http://www.ohmybeauty.com/products/Toolworx-Thinning-Shears-6.5in-27-teeth.html

My hair requires extensive use of these to lie with any kind of smoothness when the overall length is anywhere between pixie and a couple of inches below chin. Otherwise I get pyramid head. Don't let your stylist cheap out and use a razor! Any good stylist who works with thick-haired wurlies should have a pair of these shears in his or her arsenal. (Kisses to my hairdresser of the last decade, who introduced me to the magic of thinning shears. I *can* wear a layered chin-length bob!)

lapushka
August 8th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I had my hair thinned out twice, without the hairdresser telling me. Apparently my hair was too thick for a pixie, and it kinda was... :o It looked like flat thick grass, like a lawnmower had passed over it before it was thinned out. Anyway, the experience was not pleasant and those thinning shears were used pretty much right at the root (boy, that hurt).

I guess thinning layers out with a razor doesn't seem so bad to me, but I don't quite see how that has anything to do with lessening frizzy hair. You fight the frizz by adding on weight, by growing out your hair and/or by moisturizing the heck out of it (lots of conditioner). Any amount of layering or razoring is not going to do away with frizzy hair, I don't think.

Try looking up the Curly Girl method or try looking at the tightlycurly site. The best ever if you want to fight frizz.

spidermom
August 8th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I hear you about the big hair. Mine can be very bushy, but length helps to weigh it down. I had mine thinned once and hated it - so many random short hairs poking out everywhere. I've got enough of that already because of the shed and regrow cycle.

Madora
August 8th, 2011, 08:36 AM
My mom used to have my hair thinned every summer at the barber. But they used barber shears, which are must better suited to thinning hair. I wouldn't let my hair near a razor. Your hair should be cut properly with barber shears and a razor doesn't begin to cut like a good pair of shears.

Mingle
August 8th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I don't remember if my hairstylist used shears... I have a really bad memory. xD

I've been told my hair looks much better in layers, and I agree. However, I'm afraid to get layers without thinning out my hair, because as others mentioned, the hair on top does have a tendency to poof out more.

I also think I have a "pear-shaped/oval" face shape, so that makes it tricky for me to find the right kind of hairstyle. Or maybe its just me? o_O

Thanks for the link, TrudieCat. I'll look into that thread for sure!

dragonchickx
August 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I have thing straight hair.. A hairdress once did this to me, and I will never let it happen again!!! Its hard to regrow healthy hair while doing that.. It tangles so easily.

pink.sara
August 9th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I have mine thinned with a razor about once a year.
I have them professionally sharpened and my mother is a trained hairdresser so she does it for me. My ponytail is 5.5 inches thick so its the only thing that makes my straight hair fall without tangles from the weight when it's down.
As the razor is always fresh I've never had a problem with splits.
It is easier to use thinning/chunking shears in curly hair though, and won't leave a "tail" on the end that could split if you are prone to that. Maybe leave it to grow and see if the weight helps with the volume before you thin again?
It is entirely what suits you though, personally I'll always razor.

Roseate
August 9th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I've been told my hair looks much better in layers, and I agree. However, I'm afraid to get layers without thinning out my hair, because as others mentioned, the hair on top does have a tendency to poof out more.

You can definitely get layers without thinning, you just need to find a skilled stylist. Of course, easier said than done!

I have big wavy hair, which I keep layered, though I haven't had it thinned in years. Since my hair's straightened in this photo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2443&pictureid=91016), you can see the layers; normally they blend in and give it shape without calling much attention to themselves. They keep the triangle head at bay!

MissAlyssa
August 9th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I've heard that thinning your hair with a razor can cause damagae because it just sort of shreds your hair. You can get your hair thinned with thinning shears which just cut out random bits and won't cause as much damage. That's what I would suggest, personally :)

Mesmerise
August 9th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I have never actually seen hairdressers use razors to thin hair! I've only ever seen those thinning shears. I guess they must have used them in mine at some stage, or I wouldn't know what the heck they are. Hmm... I can't remember the last time they did though! Not even sure WHY they would thin my hair, because it's really quite thin enough already :rolleyes:. I guess it was just boofy when shorter so they thought it could do with thinning?? (Stupid, and now I know better if I ever go to a hairdresser again and they come at me with a pair of thinning shears I will tell them to keep them the heck away from my poor hair).

No, I'm not against using them on thick hair...only on MY not-so-thick hair. I need all the hair I can get!!

UltraBella
August 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I always have my hair thinned with a razor. I can't stand thinning shears and most experienced stylists don't use them. You have so much more control with a razor. A razor should not damage your hair unless it is already quite fragile OR - and this is a big one - the stylist is using a dull razor. A fresh razor should be used EVERY time. Some stylists use them several times before changing them out and in my professional opinion, that's a no no. I always request a new razor, she changes it out right in front of me, and I have never had any damage or split ends. I also razor my own face framing layers.