PDA

View Full Version : The Shampoo Bar Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36

pili
December 12th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Since I only wash once a week on average, it takes a while for me to form a good opinion. I like to use up one bar at a time rather than switching around. It takes a while this way, but it is much less hassle and gives a better picture.

Thanks, Chromis! That's what I thought, but I'm so eager to try them all! I'll do as you say unless I get a bad reaction.

reilly0167
December 12th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Give each a chance, that way you know what you and your hair like, for me it was a period of adjustment and the acv helped greatly since here in Florida we have horrible hard water but I hate the smell of acv so I rinse it off and apply conditioner ( i need conditioner)some also use citiric acid and dilute that with water and no smell. In both you need to find the right ratio for dilution to suit your hair needs hope this helps.

pili
December 12th, 2016, 06:36 PM
Give each a chance, that way you know what you and your hair like, for me it was a period of adjustment and the acv helped greatly since here in Florida we have horrible hard water but I hate the smell of acv so I rinse it off and apply conditioner ( i need conditioner)some also use citiric acid and dilute that with water and no smell. In both you need to find the right ratio for dilution to suit your hair needs hope this helps.
Thanks, reilly0167. Wow these worked for you in FL? I'm a FL girl too, so I'm shocked. The hard water there is murder on my hair.

reilly0167
December 12th, 2016, 09:21 PM
Its horrible, I know, teehee, the acv and the citric acid helps tremendously with getting the icky waxy feeling you get from bars. And my hair is finicky its great after the rinse but it can never go without conditioner after. The hair wants, what the hair wants, ha ha.

pili
December 15th, 2016, 09:33 AM
OMG!!! :happydance:

Last night I finally got to try my first CV bar. It was the Olive Babassu. My hair absolutely LOOOOOOVES it. So does my scalp, so far. This is way better than the JR Liggett bar. I wrote up an initial review and a review of the JR liggett bar (with pics) on my LHC blog if anyone wants to read it. I welcome and advice on how to tweak my routine going forward. I am just thrilled and totally amazed this is without conditioner.

samanthaa
December 15th, 2016, 11:25 AM
I might just have really tolerant hair/scalp, but I personally have never seen too much of a difference between any of the CV bars (I actually tried Apple Valley bars this time around; again I don't see too much difference, but I will go back to CV just because the CV bars have better ingredients). I use my bars pretty interchangeably. The only one I had a problem with was the henna bar (don't remember exactly which one, but I couldn't get it to lather well), but that was right at the beginning of my shampoo bar journey, so I'm pretty sure it was just user error. I should try it again and see if the experience is different now that I've been using these bars for years.

OMG!!!

Last night I finally got to try my first CV bar. It was the Olive Babassu. My hair absolutely LOOOOOOVES it. So does my scalp, so far. This is way better than the JR Liggett bar. I wrote up an initial review and a review of the JR liggett bar (with pics) on my LHC blog if anyone wants to read it. I welcome and advice on how to tweak my routine going forward. I am just thrilled and totally amazed this is without conditioner.

I'm so happy for you! It makes me giddy when other people have success with shampoo bars because I personally love them so much! I read through your blog post and my only thought is that perhaps your vinegar rinse is a bit strong? 4 tablespoons in 2 cups of water? Hey, if it works for you, it works for you, but I've always seen lower recommendations and my own dilution is probably more along the lines of 1 tablespoon ACV w/mother in 3 cups of water (I'm using CA at the moment, though: 1/4 tsp in 3 cups water). I find it interesting that you're adding honey to your rinse! Makes me want to throw some maple syrup into mine...

pili
December 15th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I might just have really tolerant hair/scalp, but I personally have never seen too much of a difference between any of the CV bars (I actually tried Apple Valley bars this time around; again I don't see too much difference, but I will go back to CV just because the CV bars have better ingredients). I use my bars pretty interchangeably. The only one I had a problem with was the henna bar (don't remember exactly which one, but I couldn't get it to lather well), but that was right at the beginning of my shampoo bar journey, so I'm pretty sure it was just user error. I should try it again and see if the experience is different now that I've been using these bars for years.

I'm so happy for you! It makes me giddy when other people have success with shampoo bars because I personally love them so much! I read through your blog post and my only thought is that perhaps your vinegar rinse is a bit strong? 4 tablespoons in 2 cups of water? Hey, if it works for you, it works for you, but I've always seen lower recommendations and my own dilution is probably more along the lines of 1 tablespoon ACV w/mother in 3 cups of water (I'm using CA at the moment, though: 1/4 tsp in 3 cups water). I find it interesting that you're adding honey to your rinse! Makes me want to throw some maple syrup into mine...

Thanks for the feedback, samanthyaa. I went with a middle ground on a recommendation. It said 1-4 Tbs per cup of water. I figured 2 was a goodx starting point and I will be varying it up and down to see what my hair likes. I did the honey because my hair needs moisture so badly. It's my first time ever using honey in my hair. I'll probably need to vary its use throughout the year since summers here are desert dry. That dew point it so annoying!

Chromis
December 15th, 2016, 07:19 PM

I think it varies a lot on your water, my is often that strong, although with the water softener I have been able to cut back just slightly.

pili
December 15th, 2016, 09:38 PM
I think it varies a lot on your water, my is often that strong, although with the water softener I have been able to cut back just slightly.

I just found this recipe (http://www.overthrowmartha.com/2013/06/review-diy-lavender-tea-tree-oil-and.html), which I may try on the next one. I would use tea tree oil too, for my scalp and maybe skip the honey just to see what that's like.

poli
December 16th, 2016, 03:35 AM
I had a nice hair day with rosemary shampoo bar and citric acid rinse (first time trying it). I used a cup of acid rinse and maybe that's what I have been doing wrong? To small amount? How much do you usually use: 1 cup, 2 cups, more? Someone said large jar, a 1 liter maybe?

Chromis
December 16th, 2016, 05:34 AM
I think one cup would be tough to use, although not impossible, depending on your hair length and thickness. I use a two cup measure myself and dip the length of the hair into it for a couple of moments and then pour it over. I think most/many? use a larger container, but that has worked for me for well over ten years now. My hair mostly fits in the cup measure though, so if it were thicker I would need something larger!

pili
December 16th, 2016, 08:40 AM
I think one cup would be tough to use, although not impossible, depending on your hair length and thickness. I use a two cup measure myself and dip the length of the hair into it for a couple of moments and then pour it over. I think most/many? use a larger container, but that has worked for me for well over ten years now. My hair mostly fits in the cup measure though, so if it were thicker I would need something larger!

I have a ton of hair! Mostly though it's that I want the ACV for my scalp. My scalp has always had issues. The worst was with SC. I'm really hoping my scalp starts learning to act normally for once in my life by going natural.

Chromis
December 16th, 2016, 09:43 AM
You will need the rinse for your length as well, so I would choose a container that will be able to handle it. You don't have to dip, but I find that easiest myself. You will need enough of the rinse to get through your hair though.

pili
December 16th, 2016, 10:28 AM
You will need the rinse for your length as well, so I would choose a container that will be able to handle it. You don't have to dip, but I find that easiest myself. You will need enough of the rinse to get through your hair though.

Yeah, I part my hair and dip each side before pouring the rest over my head. I use 2cups of rinse since D it nearly feels like enough. I may up the amount of rinse to three. I have 5.25 thickness. Water usually has a hard time penetrating it all just to get wet.

poli
December 16th, 2016, 12:01 PM

Thank you. I have fine hair and still not that long. One cup is enough to dip most of my hair but not much left to pour over head. I found a pitcher/vase that holds 3 cups, will try using it next time.

animetor7
December 16th, 2016, 01:57 PM
I use a big gallon pitcher, pour in my concentrated vinegar and EO mix until it's about an inch or two high and then fill the rest with water from my shower. The water in my area is fairly hard but not too bad. When I visit my grandmother who has incredibly hard well water I double or triple the strength of my rinse depending on what my hair seems to need. I have hip length relatively thick hair. This allows me to dip my length without it balling up much or tangling and with plenty left to pour over/through my hair. I've been doing my rinse like this for five or six years and it works well for me. :)

mizukitty
December 17th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Boyfriend bought me Lush's Seanik and I just scalp washed with it. It felt REALLY stripping (only has SLS and some extracts apparently) and I'm a little nervous! Kind of glad I didn't get it on my length. I hope it's not too harsh ahhhh.

pili
December 17th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Boyfriend bought me Lush's Seanik and I just scalp washed with it. It felt REALLY stripping (only has SLS and some extracts apparently) and I'm a little nervous! Kind of glad I didn't get it on my length. I hope it's not too harsh ahhhh.
I couldn't use the Lush bars because of the SLS. It makes me have a horrible scalp reaction. Really, really bad. Like bloody bad.

mizukitty
December 17th, 2016, 09:16 PM
I couldn't use the Lush bars because of the SLS. It makes me have a horrible scalp reaction. Really, really bad. Like bloody bad.

Oh that's not good!! So you definitely have to stay away from the majority of shampoos too huh? That's awful. Glad there's a TON of other options available for you!

reilly0167
December 17th, 2016, 09:35 PM
OMG!!! :happydance:

I'm so happy you love it.

pili
December 17th, 2016, 09:36 PM
Oh that's not good!! So you definitely have to stay away from the majority of shampoos too huh? That's awful. Glad there's a TON of other options available for you!

Yeah, I was CO for 14 years. Only occasionally would I use a chelating shampoo. I just hated how constantly coated my hair and scalp were. The shedding was bad. I had to be careful of letting conditioner sit on my scalp. And then having to apply three layers of product to get the hair to behave. I also react to other chemicals. I could never use the Deva line or Moroccan oil or Garnier Fructice or (pick one). The two conditioners that did work changed their formulas and stopped working. I have one other line I can use, but again I need four different products to manage my hair, and so far it is nowhere near as good as the shampoo bars and ACV have been.

pili
December 17th, 2016, 09:38 PM
I'm so happy you love it.
I really really do!

poli
December 18th, 2016, 01:39 AM
pili your hair looks lovely. Glad it works well for you. :cheese:

In my case larger amount of the rinse helped a lot - hair feels nice, more "normal" to me. But my scalp went into over production mode and it's greasy the next day. I haven't got that since adolescence when I had greasy hair type. Dry shampoo to the rescue.

animetor7
December 18th, 2016, 01:52 AM

I can't use harsh detergents either except for very occasional clarifying washes either. I have eczema and get awful rashes and scaly skin if I'm too harsh in cleansing. Yay for shampoo bars!!!!

pili
December 18th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Thanks, poli.

animetor7, yay indeed! These boards have really shown me that there are many more options available to anyone who's willing to do some self experimentation.

summergame
December 26th, 2016, 03:07 AM
I have a question. For My Christmas I've got a few shampoobars and now I wanna try them as soon as possible but I wonder if the ACV rince need to stay on your hair for a few minutes or can you immediately rinse it of and use your conditioner?

pili
December 26th, 2016, 09:17 AM
I have a question. For My Christmas I've got a few shampoobars and now I wanna try them as soon as possible but I wonder if the ACV rince need to stay on your hair for a few minutes or can you immediately rinse it of and use your conditioner?
I usually leave it in for a few minutes and do my other shower stuff. My reasearch had people advising three to ten minutes. I'm sure there are others that have more experience who can speak up too.

Chromis
December 26th, 2016, 12:37 PM
I don't leave mine on for that long. I dip it for a few seconds, then pour it over, keeping my head out of the water and then dip it back in to rinse very briefly. I do not use conditioner though.

summergame
December 26th, 2016, 01:43 PM
I usually leave it in for a few minutes and do my other shower stuff. My reasearch had people advising three to ten minutes. I'm sure there are others that have more experience who can speak up too.

I don't leave mine on for that long. I dip it for a few seconds, then pour it over, keeping my head out of the water and then dip it back in to rinse very briefly. I do not use conditioner though.

Thank you both for the advice! :)

pili
December 26th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Thank you both for the advice! :)

Oh, I also no longer use conditioner.

pili
December 27th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Here's a question for those more experienced with rinses. I was reading somewhere on the interwebs and it said you don't have to rinse out the ACV. Has anyone done this? Is it worth trying to see if my hair likes it if I dilute it at a .5 Tsp. to 1 cup ratio? I'm curious since it said it is a more conditioning affect, but hesitant to do something that may not be good for my scalp.

Epie
December 27th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I tried a shampoo bar once. It did not work for me at all - no matter how I altered my technique. But more power to those who find it works for them!

Sulis
December 29th, 2016, 11:58 PM
I really like shampoo bars, it took me a couple times to get used to using them but overall I love the way they make my hair feel

Brittpit
December 30th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Can anyone maybe recommend me a shampoo bar that's available in Europe without huge shipping? I would really like to try the CV one but the shipping is so expensive!

Silverbleed
December 30th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Can anyone maybe recommend me a shampoo bar that's available in Europe without huge shipping? I would really like to try the CV one but the shipping is so expensive!

Did you check Louland? I don't know where you live but I believe they ship to whole of Europe.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 30th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Are shampoo bars ok for people with dandruff and SD? I have SD and need medicated shampoo once a week, but I use shampoo inbetween.. Any recommendations?

Silverbleed
December 31st, 2016, 05:17 AM
Yeah some people who have been using shampoo bars have no issues with dandruff or SD anymore. I guess there's only one way to tell if it will work for you as well xD
I'm very positive about Chagrin Valley. I have no experience with the shampoo bars on Etsy yet, since shipping makes it more expensive for me. I'm sure there's a lot available to try on there as well c:
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/natural-shampoo-bars/nettle-shampoo-bar
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/natural-shampoo-bars/ayurvedic-herb-shampoo-bar
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/natural-shampoo-bars/chamomile-citrus-shampoo-bar
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/natural-shampoo-bars/neem-tea-tree-body-hair-shampoo
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/natural-shampoo-bars/soapnuts-and-sunflower
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/natural-shampoo-bars/shampoo-bar-soapnuts-citrus-mint
These above mention dandruff in the description. But many more bars mention how it cleared dandruff for their customers so I think there's a lot that could work.

Back when I had some issues (acne, red itchy scalp), this one was what I've used and it did a great job:
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/natural-shampoo-bars/neem-tea-tree-body-hair-shampoo
I haven't used the bar since because my scalp is pretty good.

Rosetta
December 31st, 2016, 05:51 AM
E.g. this Etsy seller has many different ones, and you can order small sample bars as well: :)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HelemaalShea?ref=l2-shopheader-name

(You can find several other European sellers in Etsy as well, by searching with Europe as the location.)

Silverbleed
December 31st, 2016, 06:29 AM
E.g. this Etsy seller has many different ones, and you can order small sample bars as well: :)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HelemaalShea?ref=l2-shopheader-name

(You can find several other European sellers in Etsy as well, by searching with Europe as the location.)
Whoa, she's exactly what I needed!! :o Now I can finally try something other than CV xD Thanks!!

Chromis
December 31st, 2016, 03:02 PM
I had trouble with dandruff before I started using shampoo bars, but it mostly vanished :bounce:

queenb33
December 31st, 2016, 03:20 PM
My husband has been using Pine Tar soap as a shampoo bar and that along with massaging jojoba oil into his scalp has completely cleared his dandruff. Its usually really bad this time of year too. Though, he has coarse and curly hair that dreads naturally, so I'm not sure how it act on medium or finer textures. Another thing to know about it is it has a very distinct smell... Kind of like a campfire. Some people can't stand it, we like it though. Might be worth a try!

Jadeslonghair
January 1st, 2017, 03:39 AM

I have just bought a few from FunkySoap, they are on etsy and ebay and have extremely good reviews and pure ingredients. I'll let you know how it goes! They're based in London:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FunkySoapLondon?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Brittpit
January 1st, 2017, 10:36 AM
Thanks everybody for the suggestions!! Really curious how this will work on my hair. Any things I should look for/avoid in a shampoo bar if I have fine oily hair?

pili
January 1st, 2017, 10:50 AM
Be aware there is a transition phase. My daughter has fine oily hair and is currently going through it. It's starting to get better now. I hear it can take anywhere from one week to two months to get through.

Silverbleed
January 1st, 2017, 12:13 PM
Yeah, it took me two weeks to transition fully. First it was a bit oily/messy looking for a week. Then the second week it felt kind of waxy.

Rosetta
January 2nd, 2017, 06:35 AM
Whoa, she's exactly what I needed!! :o Now I can finally try something other than CV xD Thanks!!

Happy to be of help :) Whenever I look at her products, or others like those FunkySoaps mentioned above, I'm tempted to go back to shampoo bars myself, they just seem so gorgeous ;) (Also for environmental reasons, i.e. no plastic packaging... )

But the thing is, I love my cone-y conditioners, and I know shampoo bars don't work that well with them... Can I ask if any of you regularly use cone-containing conditioners together with shampoo bars, and have you had any issues?

(Though it wasn't only that, also my hair unfortunately seems to do a bit better with conventional shampoos, but at least I could use shampoo bars for half of the time or so...)

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 4th, 2017, 12:10 AM
Can anyone recommend anything I can buy in person?
I wanted to purchase the CV bars but, I am picky about smells and I dont know what to buy. Lol.

So, I decided to give it a go -- picked these CV bars. Hope it works out.

Shampoo Bar: Butter Bar Conditioner – Sample 1.7 oz
$2.90
Shampoo Bar: Ayurvedic Herb – Sample 1.7 oz
$2.90
Shampoo Bar: Extra Honey Beer – Sample 1.7 oz
$2.90
Shampoo Bar: Rosemary Lavender – Sample 1.7 oz
$2.90
Shampoo Bar: Babassu Marsh Mallow – Sample 1.7 oz
$2.90
Shampoo Bar: Nettle – Sample 1.7 oz
$2.90
Neem & Tea Tree Body & Hair Shampoo – Trial Sample Bar 1.7 oz

Anshul585
January 4th, 2017, 12:22 AM
I'm very new to shampoo bars. I've used only one shampoo bar and that was an organic one. It suited me. It helped through my hair's transition period. My scalp feels much more healthy now.

A few days ago an idea struck my mind to use dove soap to wash my hair. It is winters in India and my hair started thinning because of seasonal changes. I tried dove and it didn't dried out my hair so i was very happy with the results. Also, I love the fragrance of dove soap bar. And yes, it contains surfactant/detergent but it suits my hair and doesn't dry it out.

pili
January 4th, 2017, 05:38 AM
Can anyone recommend anything I can buy in person?
I wanted to purchase the CV bars but, I am picky about smells and I dont know what to buy. Lol.

So, I decided to give it a go -- picked these CV bars. Hope it works out.

Shampoo Bar: Butter Bar Conditioner – Sample 1.7 oz
$2.90
Shampoo Bar: Ayurvedic Herb – Sample 1.7 oz
$2.90
Shampoo Bar: Extra Honey Beer – Sample 1.7 oz
$2.90
Shampoo Bar: Rosemary Lavender – Sample 1.7 oz
$2.90
Shampoo Bar: Babassu Marsh Mallow – Sample 1.7 oz
$2.90
Shampoo Bar: Nettle – Sample 1.7 oz
$2.90
Neem & Tea Tree Body & Hair Shampoo – Trial Sample Bar 1.7 oz
The first bar I tried was a JR Ligett bar I got at Whole Foods. WF actually has several different brands of handmade soaps. Or, you can try at a farmer's market. Many times they have vendors with handmade soaps.

Chromis
January 4th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Burt's Bees makes or used to make a bar as well, but they and the JR Liggets bars do not seem to be very well liked on the thread, which I agree with. The Burt's bar in particular is the worst I have ever tried. On the bright side, even a bar my hair does not like still makes very nice soap or can be sold on the swap board.

I do agree with Pili on where to find local bars. I have found a few that way too. Usually farmer's markets and hippie grocers are your best bets. If you are in a touristy area, you can try actual soap shops but be prepared that they might be super confused by your search. You can also try Etsy, they have a local search!

That said, the CV Bars are awesome and you've picked a few of my personal favs :D

Silverbleed
January 4th, 2017, 08:06 AM
The batch I ordered from HelemaalShea just arrived. First impression is positive. I've got four testers and she also gave me another tester to try out! Very kind c:
The ones I've ordered are;
- Monoi de Tahiti
- Dead Sea mud
- Aloe Vera
- Shea Butter & Calendula
The tester she gave me is Nettle and Rosemary
What I find interesting is how they have a very subtle scent, I don't really smell much so if you're not into smells, these are nice.

Now I have to decide which I'll start with first :'D

summergame
January 4th, 2017, 09:01 AM
I'm very curious about your experience with them Silverbleed!

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 4th, 2017, 12:50 PM
Burt's Bees makes or used to make a bar as well, but they and the JR Liggets bars do not seem to be very well liked on the thread, which I agree with. The Burt's bar in particular is the worst I have ever tried. On the bright side, even a bar my hair does not like still makes very nice soap or can be sold on the swap board.

I do agree with Pili on where to find local bars. I have found a few that way too. Usually farmer's markets and hippie grocers are your best bets. If you are in a touristy area, you can try actual soap shops but be prepared that they might be super confused by your search. You can also try Etsy, they have a local search!

That said, the CV Bars are awesome and you've picked a few of my personal favs :D

I wish the whole food and farmers markets here weren't so far away. Here they're usually held for a weekend and they're done over in the downtown area which is a good 30-40 min drive usually for me. Whole Foods is more in the downtown area too, I'm more in the valley of LA. Small town, for California. It's a bummer! But I ended up buying all those CV trial size bars, hopefully they work because I want to get off SLS without hurting my scalp or going back to co-washing which didn't work for me after a while. I need cleaning without the chemicals!

Chromis
January 4th, 2017, 02:28 PM
I wish the whole food and farmers markets here weren't so far away. Here they're usually held for a weekend and they're done over in the downtown area which is a good 30-40 min drive usually for me. Whole Foods is more in the downtown area too, I'm more in the valley of LA. Small town, for California. It's a bummer! But I ended up buying all those CV trial size bars, hopefully they work because I want to get off SLS without hurting my scalp or going back to co-washing which didn't work for me after a while. I need cleaning without the chemicals!

Heh, Whole Foods for me would be a multi-hour bus ride. We don't have very many of them in Canada. Our farmer's market is usually just on the weekend too, but in my area pretty much every town has their own, although some are very small. Hippie health food stores are normally better bets, but you often have to look for them and they may or may not have anything suitable. What I do still recommend them for is the good apple cider vinegar, but sometimes nice grocery stores will also have the good stuff (Bragg's and Spectrum would be two well known nationally available brands). Buying online is much, much easier for the shampoo bars!

You got a pretty good assortment of CV bars, so there is a pretty good chance! If you do not succeed at first, I strongly recommend to play with your acidic rinse ratios.

chrissy-b
January 4th, 2017, 04:53 PM
I've probably mentioned this lady before, but in case I haven't, Fresh As A Daisy on etsy has great bars. They are definitely the lightest in that they don't leave much of a residue (I can go with ACV about half the time). https://www.etsy.com/shop/FreshAsaDaisySoaps

I always alternate between bars and SLS shampoo and I haven't had dandruff in quite a while. Bars generally make my dandruff better but I keep the Nizoral around just in case.

Also, I find that most handmade soaps work on my hair so if you can't find shampoo bars locally you might give them a try.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 5th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Heh, Whole Foods for me would be a multi-hour bus ride. We don't have very many of them in Canada. Our farmer's market is usually just on the weekend too, but in my area pretty much every town has their own, although some are very small. Hippie health food stores are normally better bets, but you often have to look for them and they may or may not have anything suitable. What I do still recommend them for is the good apple cider vinegar, but sometimes nice grocery stores will also have the good stuff (Bragg's and Spectrum would be two well known nationally available brands). Buying online is much, much easier for the shampoo bars!

You got a pretty good assortment of CV bars, so there is a pretty good chance! If you do not succeed at first, I strongly recommend to play with your acidic rinse ratios.

I actually already use ACV as a final rinse. lol

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 6th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Ok so I have received my CV bars -- none of them have exp. dates on them though??
https://s6.postimg.org/st26a0j01/IMG_8650.jpg
Could anyone tell me how long these last, how I should store them? I wash maybe twice a week and the lush SLS bars lasted months for me, so I am wondering how long these last and how many washes the samples can accomplish?

Chromis
January 6th, 2017, 08:37 PM
I store mine in a drawer. They will last for years unused. How many washes they last for you is pretty hard to pin down. Depends on your water, your technique, how many lathers...

I only use one bar at a time. That bar lives on a slotted soap wooden soap dish on the edge of the bathtub, protected by my shower curtain liner from getting splashed. When I didn't have this set up I just took the bar in and out of the shower with me.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 6th, 2017, 09:37 PM
I store mine in a drawer. They will last for years unused. How many washes they last for you is pretty hard to pin down. Depends on your water, your technique, how many lathers...

I only use one bar at a time. That bar lives on a slotted soap wooden soap dish on the edge of the bathtub, protected by my shower curtain liner from getting splashed. When I didn't have this set up I just took the bar in and out of the shower with me.

Ok thank you!! I need to find a way to store these. The smell is giving me a headache.. lol

Chromis
January 7th, 2017, 07:07 AM
They are a bit strong at first! I think it gets better once they have aired out some, but I can smell brand new bars through the drawer. I like the smell of the CV bars, but some of the more artificial fragranced ones make the bathroom stinky for like a week!

I got my slotted soap dishes from IKEA. Even if you don't have one nearby, I recommend taking a peek at theirs as a good idea of what you are looking for. I have had others, but these have been the best.

pili
January 7th, 2017, 08:53 AM
They are a bit strong at first! I think it gets better once they have aired out some, but I can smell brand new bars through the drawer. I like the smell of the CV bars, but some of the more artificial fragranced ones make the bathroom stinky for like a week!

I got my slotted soap dishes from IKEA. Even if you don't have one nearby, I recommend taking a peek at theirs as a good idea of what you are looking for. I have had others, but these have been the best.
I saw those soap dishes online. I need to get several since now the entire household has switched to shampoo bars.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 7th, 2017, 10:16 AM

My mom works for IKEA. I'm on it! 😎

Chromis
January 7th, 2017, 11:37 AM
My mom works for IKEA. I'm on it! ��

Score! Those soap dishes are probably one of my fav IKEA buys. The Poang chair is pretty close though. I use them for all of the other soap in the house as well at the sinks.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 7th, 2017, 12:05 PM
I hope the smell of these bars fade away quick... haha. I put like 6 of them into a ziplock bag and I can still smell them. It's so strong.

Silverbleed
January 7th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Yeah the smells usually fade especially once you started using them. I keep my unused bars locked away so I have no issue with the smell.
You can also cut the bars before using them. It doesn't work well with samples as they are already small. But I usually cut my big bars into 6 pieces. That way I'm able to switch more often between bars and the unused parts last much longer.

summergame
January 8th, 2017, 12:45 PM
It's now my 3rd time that I am using the CV ayurvedic shampoo bar and this time my hair already felt softer than the first time I've used it. After washing the shampoo out of my hair it is softer but a bit stiff. Then I do the ACV rince and let it in for 5 minutes and rinse it off. It's already less stiff but after the second conditioner it is back to normal. We shall see if the shampoo bars are a good option for me in time because of the very hard water here in my area.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 8th, 2017, 04:41 PM
No soap bar holders at ikea, they had the wood ones and these glass black ones but that was it.
I think I might want to store them inside a container instead though.. not really sure where to get something like that. I kind of want to keep them dry and out of the shower so the smell wont bother anyone else lol

Chromis
January 8th, 2017, 05:00 PM
It is a wooden one that I use! I went and looked up the name, DRAGAN (which sounds enough look dragon to make me grin) http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70271489/

If you keep them in a container you will want them to be dry before closing it. Soap gets slimy and weird when you put it away wet IME. I often just use a paper bag when I travel. The spare bars you can just throw in a zippered freezer bag if they are too smelly. I don't bother since I find it dissipates just fine, but there are lots of ways to do it.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 8th, 2017, 05:02 PM
It is a wooden one that I use! I went and looked up the name, DRAGAN (which sounds enough look dragon to make me grin) http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70271489/

I want to refrain from using wood. I kind of wanted metal as its easier to clean, plus wood is porous and creates bacteria. :3
I kind of really want to put the soap bars into containers though, so I can travel with them. Since I am between houses it seems more logical instead of buying 3 different soap bowls lol

Chromis
January 8th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Ah, okay! I have had a slotted metal soap tray, so I know they exist, but can't recall who made it which is not so helpy of me. In the military pre-shampoo bar days, I used to use a plastic container for my soap that had a tray inside, but a clamshell outside, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Rectangular-Container-Traveling-Accessory/dp/B01C83AL6O As mentioned though you kind of really want the soap to be dry before putting in there, or else you would want to wipe the bottom half dry before closing it up, because the soap gets wet and weird and shrinks otherwise.

I don't worry about bacteria so much given it is soap, but I am sometimes a foul frog. I find just tossing a sample bar into a paper bag once it is at least mostly dry works for travel and then it goes into a zipper bag with other toiletries.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 9th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Ah, okay! I have had a slotted metal soap tray, so I know they exist, but can't recall who made it which is not so helpy of me. In the military pre-shampoo bar days, I used to use a plastic container for my soap that had a tray inside, but a clamshell outside, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Rectangular-Container-Traveling-Accessory/dp/B01C83AL6O As mentioned though you kind of really want the soap to be dry before putting in there, or else you would want to wipe the bottom half dry before closing it up, because the soap gets wet and weird and shrinks otherwise.

I don't worry about bacteria so much given it is soap, but I am sometimes a foul frog. I find just tossing a sample bar into a paper bag once it is at least mostly dry works for travel and then it goes into a zipper bag with other toiletries.

I think the example you posted works! Thanks. I'll order when it's in stock.

So I used one of my first bars today, my hair felt. Weird. So I SMT and because I get curds I co washed with my VO5 strawberries and cream, then I did a ACV rinse. My hair felt better, but right now I'm sitting and waiting for my hair to finish air drying and my scalp is itchy and kind of bothering me...
Maybe I used too much soap? I made it get REALLY lathered and sudsy because I was afraid it wouldn't clean well enough. I used the babassu marsh mallow bar

Chromis
January 9th, 2017, 07:34 PM
Oh, there are loads of them! I just linked to the first hit. Surely there will be something in stock :D

Sounds like you might not have rinsed enough? I have to watch that I rinse well right at my hairline, because I hate running water in my face and tilting my head back too far makes my neck ouchy.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 9th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Oh, there are loads of them! I just linked to the first hit. Surely there will be something in stock :D

Sounds like you might not have rinsed enough? I have to watch that I rinse well right at my hairline, because I hate running water in my face and tilting my head back too far makes my neck ouchy.

I don't think that's it because it itches where my SD flares up.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 12th, 2017, 10:25 PM
The itchy is now on and off. Tomorrow is wash day so ill give it a go again, try to use less soap this time.

Silverbleed
January 17th, 2017, 03:14 PM
I'm glad showers got much more enjoyable since I started using a shampoo bar. The only downside still is the forever and ever slowly drying hair ...........:mad: I hate wet hair in my neck haha.

summergame
January 18th, 2017, 01:52 AM
The itchy is now on and off. Tomorrow is wash day so ill give it a go again, try to use less soap this time.

I have the same problem now and my scalp is getting very oily after one day too. It's also a lot of work for me. First conditioner on the ends, then I use the shampoobar and let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes. Rinse off. Putting the ACV over my whole head and lenghts and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then rinsing it off and use conditioner on my lenghts... For me it is a lot of time. Especially the waiting moments.

Chromis
January 18th, 2017, 05:47 AM
I have the same problem now and my scalp is getting very oily after one day too. It's also a lot of work for me. First conditioner on the ends, then I use the shampoobar and let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes. Rinse off. Putting the ACV over my whole head and lenghts and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then rinsing it off and use conditioner on my lenghts... For me it is a lot of time. Especially the waiting moments.

That sounds quite tedious! I do not let the shampoo bar sit on my head like that. I glide the bar over my hair, lather and rinse. If it didn't lather much, I repeat. Before the water softener I did that three times on my scalp and twice on my length, not I only need twice on my scalp and once on my length. I don't let the ACV stay that long either, I dip for just a few seconds. I do not use conditioner. We all use the bars in different ways, but you might try a more simplified routine sometime to see if it works for you :flower:

Silverbleed
January 18th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Yeah I don't let it sit in my hair for too long either, I just rinse quite quickly. If it didn't lather easy, my hair is probably not clean on that spot so I rinse and apply again. Until it lathers super easy, it's clean. That makes is easy to spot the places that aren't clean yet. But leaving it on my scalp does make my scalp very dry so I'm not doing that anymore. It also didn't seem to make a difference for me in actually 'cleaning' the hair. Rinsing right away works just as well.
The places on my scalp that dry out very quickly but also get oily quickly seem to benefit from some pre-oiling. I put some jojoba on those spots and it really seems to help. I already apply jojoba on my entire face because it dries out whenever I shower, but now I also apply it behind my ears, my neck and right at the hair line.

samanthaa
January 18th, 2017, 07:15 AM
I'm jumping on the "don't let shampoo bar suds sit on my hair" bandwagon. I rinse right after I achieve optimal lather. It's easiest to rinse away when it's super fluffy and lathery, and I worry that if I leave the suds on my head, the lather will diminish and turn into a soapy film that will be more difficult to rinse off.

My routine right now is conditioner first, let that sit for 2-3 minutes. I then shampoo my roots (I like the glide my fingers up under the hair and massage the scalp with the pads of my fingertips--this method helped me eliminate greasies around the ears) while the conditioner is still in my length. Rinse everything off immediately after lather. Follow up with acidic rinse (I'm using CA at the moment; I bought one of those herbals rinses from CV to mix with my CA, and I'm excited to try it but I keep forgetting to steep it before wash day! It's been two weeks!), dipping my length into the wide-brimmed mason jar for a few seconds and then pouring the rest over my head. Let sit for about a minute. Briefly rinse. If needed, I might apply a tad bit more conditioner to the very ends of my hair during the "let sit for about a minute" phase, but I usually find I don't need it.

ETA: Did I ever mention in this thread that I tried Apple Valley bars? I think I bought three of them. I went back to CV with my latest purchase, though, because I found that CV bars lather better. Also the CV ingredients are just much better, in my opinion.

summergame
January 18th, 2017, 07:43 AM
That sounds quite tedious! I do not let the shampoo bar sit on my head like that. I glide the bar over my hair, lather and rinse. If it didn't lather much, I repeat. Before the water softener I did that three times on my scalp and twice on my length, not I only need twice on my scalp and once on my length. I don't let the ACV stay that long either, I dip for just a few seconds. I do not use conditioner. We all use the bars in different ways, but you might try a more simplified routine sometime to see if it works for you :flower:

Yeah I don't let it sit in my hair for too long either, I just rinse quite quickly. If it didn't lather easy, my hair is probably not clean on that spot so I rinse and apply again. Until it lathers super easy, it's clean. That makes is easy to spot the places that aren't clean yet. But leaving it on my scalp does make my scalp very dry so I'm not doing that anymore. It also didn't seem to make a difference for me in actually 'cleaning' the hair. Rinsing right away works just as well.
The places on my scalp that dry out very quickly but also get oily quickly seem to benefit from some pre-oiling. I put some jojoba on those spots and it really seems to help. I already apply jojoba on my entire face because it dries out whenever I shower, but now I also apply it behind my ears, my neck and right at the hair line.

I'm jumping on the "don't let shampoo bar suds sit on my hair" bandwagon. I rinse right after I achieve optimal lather. It's easiest to rinse away when it's super fluffy and lathery, and I worry that if I leave the suds on my head, the lather will diminish and turn into a soapy film that will be more difficult to rinse off.

My routine right now is conditioner first, let that sit for 2-3 minutes. I then shampoo my roots (I like the glide my fingers up under the hair and massage the scalp with the pads of my fingertips--this method helped me eliminate greasies around the ears) while the conditioner is still in my length. Rinse everything off immediately after lather. Follow up with acidic rinse (I'm using CA at the moment; I bought one of those herbals rinses from CV to mix with my CA, and I'm excited to try it but I keep forgetting to steep it before wash day! It's been two weeks!), dipping my length into the wide-brimmed mason jar for a few seconds and then pouring the rest over my head. Let sit for about a minute. Briefly rinse. If needed, I might apply a tad bit more conditioner to the very ends of my hair during the "let sit for about a minute" phase, but I usually find I don't need it.

ETA: Did I ever mention in this thread that I tried Apple Valley bars? I think I bought three of them. I went back to CV with my latest purchase, though, because I found that CV bars lather better. Also the CV ingredients are just much better, in my opinion.

Thank you for the suggestion to rinse it off quickly! I will try that and with the vinegar i will do the same. It's interesting to know that Samanthaa is mentioning that the CV bars are more interesting than the AV ones because I can't buy the last ones here. And I was interested in the the difference between the two. So thank you! :flower:

pili
January 18th, 2017, 08:43 AM
I love seeing everyone's routine! I'm still tweeting my own, so it's nice to have ideas to try. Silverbleed I'm going to try what you do with the jojoba on your face. My skin is so dried out this winter.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 18th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Im getting a lather and not leaving it so I dont know why I am getting so itchy. My scalp gets oily after about 2 days.
My hair feels nice but my scalp is still not too happy. I think my SD is flaring up... next wash I am using a medicated shampoo again because this is kind of bothering me. I will continue to use the shampoo bars though, I bought 8 of them so I have a lot to use.

summergame
January 29th, 2017, 12:18 PM
My hair is getting darker at my virgin roots I guess... Should it be from the shampoobar that I am using? It's the ayurvedic one from Chagrin Valley.... I also tried to let the ACV sit for just a minute and it also works! Very happy about that. It also seems to be no good idea to use coney conditioners with the shampoobar, because my hair is feeling greasy and a bit dry also now.

pili
January 30th, 2017, 08:27 AM
My hair is getting darker at my virgin roots I guess... Should it be from the shampoobar that I am using? It's the ayurvedic one from Chagrin Valley.... I also tried to let the ACV sit for just a minute and it also works! Very happy about that. It also seems to be no good idea to use coney conditioners with the shampoobar, because my hair is feeling greasy and a bit dry also now.
If you have light colored hair, it may be the ACV. I do believe it darkens the hair. Maybe switch to white vinegar or a citric acid rinse.

summergame
January 30th, 2017, 01:30 PM
If you have light colored hair, it may be the ACV. I do believe it darkens the hair. Maybe switch to white vinegar or a citric acid rinse.

Thanks for the tip! :flower:

CreepyIslander
February 4th, 2017, 11:44 AM
I've use Shikakai soap bar and it lathers well and smells nice; i've recently started to use it..no complains so far except that it dries out my hair a lil bit

Brittpit
February 20th, 2017, 04:12 AM
I've been using CV Ayurvedic Garden (alternating with beer egg honey) for a month now and my hair loves it! There was no transition phase at all. I have only one problem with the ayurvedic garden, it has these small brown particles in it which sometimes snag my fine hair, so I have to be extremely careful. I don't have this problem with the beer egg honey one. Is that a common problem in the ayurvedic bar? And are there more CV bars that have this?

Silverbleed
February 20th, 2017, 09:36 AM
I never really use any shampoo bar directly on my hair because there's always a risk of tangles or snagging for me. I usually just lather it as much as I can then apply that to my hair. I've had a few bars that lather super easy though and won't snag as much but I'm not really sure which ones.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 20th, 2017, 05:22 PM
I've been using CV Ayurvedic Garden (alternating with beer egg honey) for a month now and my hair loves it! There was no transition phase at all. I have only one problem with the ayurvedic garden, it has these small brown particles in it which sometimes snag my fine hair, so I have to be extremely careful. I don't have this problem with the beer egg honey one. Is that a common problem in the ayurvedic bar? And are there more CV bars that have this?

I think that one is made with henna or something or another? So I could see why.

diddiedaisy
February 24th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Hi all, just wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I have received a sample of Friendly hair & body bar. Here's the list of ingredients.

Sodium cocoate, sodium olivate, sodium castorate, Aqua, lavendula angustifolia, essential oil contains linalool, limonene, geraniol, pelargonium graveolens.

Are these ingredients ok? I have never used a shampoo bar before so I'm a bit apprehensive. I have dyed blond hair so it is more on the dry side of things and I'm a daily scalp washer. I also don't want to mess about with acv rinses, is that a requirement?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks :)

Neecola
February 24th, 2017, 11:41 AM
diddiedaisy, I am by no means an expert, but believe the first three ingredients are saponified (reacted with lye in the soap making process) coconut oil, olive oil and castor oil. Ingredients listed are usually high to low concentration, so this soap probably has a higher amount of coconut oil than the other two. Personally I find coconut oil very cleansing but also very drying. As an example, I only use 5% coconut oil in my own shampoo bars. (Fellow member kdaniels8811 introduced me to making my own - hooked ever since!) Have you tried washing your hands with it and seeing how it feels?

For me, an ACV rinse is a must. But I am on well water (although softened). The first time you wash with a shampoo bar, why not have a pre-mixed vinegar rinse (you could use white vinegar so as not to affect your hair color) ready to go in the shower in case your hair feels very "grabby"? That's how I know I need the ACV; it feels smooth after applying the rinse.

diddiedaisy
February 24th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Thanks Neecola. No I haven't tried it on my hands. The water in my area is classed as medium. Would you do the vinager rinse before or after conditioning? :)

Silverbleed
February 24th, 2017, 06:00 PM
I think you should just try out a few ways with the acv rinse. I don't notice much of a difference using it before or after conditioner (if I choose to use conditioner at all). Some people also like to leave the acv in, but I usually rinse because my hair is kinda grabby and leaving it in makes it look very messy for me. Just try and see what works for you c:

diddiedaisy
February 25th, 2017, 01:41 AM
Thanks Silverbleed. :)

diddiedaisy
February 26th, 2017, 12:26 AM
Ok, so I tried my shampoo bar. I rubbed it on my scalp a good few times and massaged it in. It lathered really well and felt nice, but boy I was not ready for the hair felt when I rinsed it!!! It felt waxy and heavy. Anyway, I then applied conditioner, rinsed then applied a White wine vinager rinse (it was all I had in), then another conditioner.

My hair did feel different whilst wet and I was concerned about how it was going to dry. It did however dry fine. It was soft but not as silky feeling as usual and it had more body but not in a good way, it was a bit fluffy and frizzy.

I am going to stick with it for at least a week and see how it goes :)

Chromis
February 26th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Ok, so I tried my shampoo bar. I rubbed it on my scalp a good few times and massaged it in. It lathered really well and felt nice, but boy I was not ready for the hair felt when I rinsed it!!! It felt waxy and heavy. Anyway, I then applied conditioner, rinsed then applied a White wine vinager rinse (it was all I had in), then another conditioner.

My hair did feel different whilst wet and I was concerned about how it was going to dry. It did however dry fine. It was soft but not as silky feeling as usual and it had more body but not in a good way, it was a bit fluffy and frizzy.

I am going to stick with it for at least a week and see how it goes :)

Think petting rather than rubbing. I stroke my hair with the bar only in one direction, with the hair. Then I massage with my hands. Some people only lather their hands and then put the lather on their hair that way.

My hair does indeed feel waxy until I use an acidic rinse, that seems pretty normal with shampoo bars.

Silverbleed
February 26th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Yeah I am the one that usually lathers then apply only the lathered part on my head - not the bar itself. The only exception is when my hair is really dirty.
Then I massage my scalp. For my hair I've learned using the bar directly cleans it too well and leaves it too dry. I personally prefer the feeling as if there's still a teeny tiny layer of sebum - especially on my trouble zones like behind my ears - to prevent it from overproducing again.

I always use the acidic rinse right after I rinsed the lather. I make sure I have my spray bottle ready so I'm able to reach all spots. Sometimes I first spray to make it soft again and get rid of most of the 'wax', then I follow with another round of spraying by making sure I cover all spots including my scalp, behind my ears, under my neck etc. Whatever is left I just pour over my hair.

diddiedaisy
February 27th, 2017, 03:28 AM
I have done 3 washes now. Used the same way as previously mentioned. I put it directly onto scalp then rub into a lather, apply conditioner, vinegar rinse, another condition. I must say that after todays wash I am much more impressed. The silky feel is already back, and the frizzy fluff has calmed down a lot. The upshot is that as things stand now my hair is behaving as it was with traditional shampoo. So unless something changes then I am going to continue using this method. The bar I have is sulphate etc free and I think the ingredients are completely natural, so I hope to eventually see some improvement in the condition of my hair. Obviously, I am still using traditional conditioner so results may be minimal. The only thing that concerns me about my current bar is the coconut oil content as some have said it has a drying effect, but as I have bleached hair that may be different for me.

Neecola
February 27th, 2017, 12:49 PM
That's great news, diddiedaisy! I am one of those who lathers in the hand first. I do my ACV rinse right after rinsing the shampoo bar out. I use a big squirt of conditioner in my acv rinse, thanks to Neoma for that tip. Then after rinsing that, I apply a heavier conditioner.

diddiedaisy
February 27th, 2017, 05:55 PM
I'm applying conditioner before the rinse in the hope of taking advantage of raised cutiles, not sure it works that way though haha

diddiedaisy
March 4th, 2017, 02:16 AM
Ive ordered another bar. Funky soap nettle and marshmallow root. It's 100% natural and that's what I intend to stick to.

I think I've also had an added bonus by using natural shampoo. I get an allergy rash from my nape to bra strap, it varies in its severity depending on what I've been using or wearing. I've known that there is something in shampoo or conditioner that can really flare it up, but as I use a million different products and because I'm lazy, I've never tried to work out what was bothering my skin. However, my back has been clear for 3 days now (I've been using shampoo bar for a week), so I'm hoping that convential shampoo has been the culprit and I can start getting respite on my itchy back!!!

pili
March 4th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Ive ordered another bar. Funky soap nettle and marshmallow root. It's 100% natural and that's what I intend to stick to.

I think I've also had an added bonus by using natural shampoo. I get an allergy rash from my nape to bra strap, it varies in its severity depending on what I've been using or wearing. I've known that there is something in shampoo or conditioner that can really flare it up, but as I use a million different products and because I'm lazy, I've never tried to work out what was bothering my skin. However, my back has been clear for 3 days now (I've been using shampoo bar for a week), so I'm hoping that convential shampoo has been the culprit and I can start getting respite on my itchy back!!!

I've had a similar reaction to sulfate and non-sulfate conventional shampoos. Shampoo bars have not caused any problems for me, and after the first two weeks my flaky scalp cleared up too. They have been a game changer for me.

lizardspots
March 4th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Hello everyone. I am a newbie, have been lurking on LHC for the past few months and have enjoyed learning so much about haircare.

I am also a total convert to shampoo bars & ACV rinses - my hair has never been so smooth and silky! Though I have noticed the bars don't perform well when I am in hard water areas. Thankfully my home is in a soft water area.

Due to how expensive it is to obtain & ship shampoo bars to Australia, I have recently tried making my own bars using this recipe (http://www.mommypotamus.com/shampoo-bar-recipe/) by Mommypotamus. It worked really well, soooo much creamy lather! But I do think I'll need to tweak it to suit my normally greasy scalp.

Has anyone else had much experience making your own bars? What recipes do you use? I'd love to learn more!

Excited to become a more active non-lurky member of LHC :) :)

Chromis
March 4th, 2017, 03:36 PM
We do have a few soapmakers here! I have not tried making shampoo bars myself, but someday I want to give that a go.

I did want to mention one of the best bars I have ever tried is from an Aussie company! Someone sent me a sample box long ago in a swap and I am in love: https://www.beebeauty.com.au/ Too expensive to ship to Canada, but amazing bars and they should be much cheaper for you!

Obsidian
March 4th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Lizardpots, I absolutely would not use that recipe on my hair. Coconut oil soap is very, very cleansing, too much in a shampoo bar can dry your hair badly. I've been making my own soap for three years or so now. I no longer use shampoo bars but there is a recipe I really like and so do many others. Have you made soap before? This is my go to recipe. If you don't want to use neem oil, you can replace it with more avocado. Any altercations to a soaping recipe need to be ran through a lye calculator.

http://www.evernote.com/l/ANi0chvOL_5PbJrp3vjvBfXtKCUp6FlLEsg/

lizardspots
March 5th, 2017, 12:14 AM
Chromis - Thanks for the recommendation, I agree! I've tried Beauty And The Bees products, they are lovely. Unfortunately Australian shipping from Tasmania to the mainland is still rather pricy and *embarrassed* I have rather a tight budget, so I was hoping to go even cheaper than that in my quest for shampoo bars, hence my attempt to make my own. My favourite was their beer shampoo bar, it smells divine!

Obsidian - Thank you for the advice, and that recipe! It looks rather complicated, I'm not sure I fully understand it. *embarrassed* What superfatted percentage is it, 1%? That doesn't sound like much. I am a complete newbie at soap making. I like that the coconut oil bar is cleansing, I have a naturally greasy scalp that has plagued me for years, and straight fine thin hair that shows grease very quickly. Slowly but surely I'm stretching out my washes :-) I will give this recipe a try!

Obsidian
March 5th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Superfat is the amount of oil left in the bar once it's turned into soap, you want a low superfat in shampoo bars. If it's too high, your hair will be left gunky.

It's not complicated at all, it just a lot more oils then other recipes. Making the soap itself is pretty much the same for all recipes.

Mix you lye and water together, let it cool to room temp then mix it into your melted but not hot oil. Use a stick blender to mix it quicker, once it starts to get thick, pour it into a mold. Cut after 12-24 hours.

If you are serious about learning to make soap, head over to http://www.soapmakingforum.com just be prepared for some members to try and talk you out of shampoo bars, a few members are really against them.
There is a epic shampoo bar thread if you want to read it, find of info http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30946&

Pure coconut oil soap isn't just cleansing, it very striping. Trust me, you don't want that on your hair no matter how oily it is. It's the kind of soap I use for laundry, on my skin it will dry me out bad enough to crack & bleed.

diddiedaisy
March 6th, 2017, 11:29 AM
It is probably very satisfying making your own, but in England it is cheaper just to buy one.

I received my new one today and it seems large, I think it will last ages and it only cost £4 with delivery. The coconut content is quite far down the list too. Can't wait to try it in the morning.

I also read today that using vinager rinses too often can be damaging. Is that true? I'm not sure about that myself as it was a salon article. Is it a lie? Haha :)

Obsidian
March 6th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Making your own soap is satisfying but it can get expensive fast. You need all the bowls/tools/molds just to get started, then you get into scents and colorants. I've easily spend a couple thousand on soaping since I started and I go the cheapest route possible.

I don't see vinegar rinses being damaging unless its made way too strong. You want just enough vinegar to give the water a very slight sour taste. I use roughly 1 tsp to 2 cups water.

Brittpit
March 7th, 2017, 12:35 AM
Not a useful post, just very happy with the results I'm getting. My dreadful shedding went from +300 hairs a day to almost non-existent! I used to get balls of hair out of my brush everyday, now it's just once every several weeks :)

diddiedaisy
March 7th, 2017, 04:17 AM
Used my new bar this morning, Funky Soap nettle and marshmallow. It lathers less than my other one, so I found it difficult to gauge how much I was using. I wasn't overly impressed until my hair dried. I have soft hair anyway but the level I have today is out of this world.

I also don't seem to have had a transistion period, I am surprised at how much I love shampoo bars.

Arctic
March 7th, 2017, 05:07 AM
Used my new bar this morning, Funky Soap nettle and marshmallow. It lathers less than my other one, so I found it difficult to gauge how much I was using. I wasn't overly impressed until my hair dried. I have soft hair anyway but the level I have today is out of this world.

I also don't seem to have had a transistion period, I am surprised at how much I love shampoo bars.

That's wonderful to hear, all of it!

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 7th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Do you guys usually use coney conditioner along with ACV with the bars? I am switching back to cones, so I think the bars may be set aside for awhile if I cant use cones. I clarify and chealate regularly so build up isnt an issue.

pili
March 7th, 2017, 09:14 PM
Not a useful post, just very happy with the results I'm getting. My dreadful shedding went from +300 hairs a day to almost non-existent! I used to get balls of hair out of my brush everyday, now it's just once every several weeks :)

I've had similar results to you two. Less shedding and softer, more manageable hair.

Do you guys usually use coney conditioner along with ACV with the bars? I am switching back to cones, so I think the bars may be set aside for awhile if I cant use cones. I clarify and chealate regularly so build up isnt an issue.

I hope you find a routin that works for you soon. I wish I could help, but I don't use conditioner anymore and cones are murder on my hair anyway. Maybe someone else here does.

diddiedaisy
March 8th, 2017, 02:55 AM
I still use coney conditioner. Having said that I've used bars for less than two weeks!!! If I need to use regular shampoo now and again it won't bother me. Plus maybe the vinager rinse gets rid of build up.

samanthaa
March 8th, 2017, 12:35 PM
I use a cone-free, protein-free conditioner with mine. I'd be worried about build-up personally with a coney conditioner. But then again I don't clarify very often.

poli
March 9th, 2017, 06:08 AM

I'm so tempted by the shampoo bar still sitting in my cupboard, that I think I will give it one more chance and use your method.
I need to clarify soon, so if it won't work out (again) I just rewash with cleansing shampoo.

pili
March 11th, 2017, 11:25 AM
Cross-posting from Random Hair Thoughts thread.
I'm so grateful for this thread.

So I've been noticing all these little curls around my hairline. I couldn't figure out why I was getting them. I've been worrying that they are broken hairs, but I have not been putting my hair up in a way that puts stress on those spots. I checked my ponytail circumference just to be sure, and that is exactly the same. Then this morning I realized that in December I started my "Year of Natural Hair Care". It's when I switched from CO to shampoo bars, ACV rinses, no conditioner, and heavy oiling. If this is new hair growth, then I am absolutely thrilled! The last five years my hair has been losing thickness and I've been shedding heavily. I figured the thinning was bound to happen at my age, but conditioner touching my scalp was probably making it worse. I had stopped applying conditioner directly to my scalp more than two years ago. I never dreamed that shampoo bars would give me new hair growth. :cheer:

Silverbleed
March 11th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Whoa pili that's great news! The shampoo bars did the same for me, my thickness almost doubled since I started using them. I'm really excited for my new growth to meet my ends because I've got so much hair around my chin compared to below that - all since I started the shampoo bar.
I'm happy to hear it's working for you :cheer:

youngtundra
March 11th, 2017, 04:53 PM
If it's an Ayurvedic bar, it's probably got Shikakai in it, which I use in powder form... I literally have to use a mortar/pestle to break up the little "crumbs" of clumped powder before I can use it, otherwise it snags in my hair also.

pili
March 11th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Whoa pili that's great news! The shampoo bars did the same for me, my thickness almost doubled since I started using them. I'm really excited for my new growth to meet my ends because I've got so much hair around my chin compared to below that - all since I started the shampoo bar.
I'm happy to hear it's working for you :cheer:

Double? That's wonderful! I don't think I'll get that much growth, but any growth would be great.

Silverbleed
March 11th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Double? That's wonderful! I don't think I'll get that much growth, but any growth would be great.

The state of my hair was pretty bad though, so I wasn't surprised. Also I had a ton of scalp issues because of allergic reactions. I'm sure that also caused problems with hair growth.

Wravyn
March 12th, 2017, 08:22 AM
What a great thread!

I’ve used Chagrin Valley for the last year and a half and have become a bit obsessed with shampoo bars because of it. If you use CV, you know the smell is earthy, which I don’t mind. But lately, I’ve been missing the floral and fruity smells of traditional shampoos and conditioners.

I was hoping anyone might have suggestions on where I could find shampoo bars that include natural (possibly organic) ingredients similar to CV, but have a more feminine smell to them. And also, similar in price (Lush is way too expensive in my opinion for such small bars, or I would try theirs).

Chromis
March 12th, 2017, 09:35 AM
The Lush bars are not shampoo bars, so if you are looking for something like CV, I would stay far, far away from them. I would make suggestions, but the most floral ones I have gotten have been from swaps here or from shops that are no longer listing on Etsy. You might search the thread for floral though, because I am having deja vu answering this and am positive it has come up before :flower:

You can also just start randomly searching on Etsy. Look for ingredients similar to your favourite CV bars as a start. You might get a few that don't work as well for you, but they can be used as normal soap or traded here on the swap board. I find most bars work well enough for me, so there have not been many that have needed swap or demotion. (And one of my swap bars was a bar that was quite popular with lots of other people, so you never know really)

pili
March 12th, 2017, 09:36 AM
I was about to say the same thing as Chromis about the Lush bars.

Wravyn
March 12th, 2017, 09:57 AM
The Lush bars are not shampoo bars, so if you are looking for something like CV, I would stay far, far away from them.

I'm a bit confused by this. How are they not shampoo bars (http://www.lushusa.com/hair/shampoo-bars/)?

pili
March 12th, 2017, 10:25 AM
I'm a bit confused by this. How are they not shampoo bars (http://www.lushusa.com/hair/shampoo-bars/)?
Handmade shampoo bars like CV are old fashioned soap. The kind your great, great, great grandmother used on her hair before commercial detergents were invented. Almost all Lush bars are solid forms of the liquid shampoo you find in regular shampoo. Even worse, they are heavy on the SLS and are extremely stripping. There is nothing natural about them. They just took away the plastic bottle and made a puck of detergent shampoo.

Silverbleed
March 12th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Yeah what Pili said, basically. If we take one of CV's shampoo bars, for example Ayuverdic, and compare them to let's say the first Lush bar which is New CrueltyFree;

Chagrin Valley:
Organic Coconut Oil; Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil infused with Organic Herbs (Bhringraj, Hibiscus, Amla, Tulsi, Fenugreek, Jasmine, Yashtimadhu, Neem); Shikakai; Organic Avocado Oil; Organic Jojoba Oil; Organic Soapnuts (Aritha); Water; Organic Mango Butter; Organic Babassu Oil; Sodium Hydroxide*; Organic Castor Oil; Organic Neem Oil; Organic Canola Oil; Organic Coconut Milk; Essential Oils of Cypress, Juniper Berry, Lavender, Lemon, Basil, Rosemary; Organic Rosemary Oil Extract
*Used during the Saponification Process to turn oil into soap.
None remains in the finished product.
Also they are vegan, non GMO, cruelty free, and organic which I all appreciate. They are also part of the rain forest alliance.

Lush:
Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Nettle and Peppermint Infusion (Urtica Dioica, Mentha Piperita) , Fragrance , *Eugenol , Glycerine , Nettle Absolute (Urtica Urens) , Rosemary Absolute (Rosmarinus Officinalis) , Clove Bud Oil (Eugenia caryophyllus) , Cinnamon Leaf Oil (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) , *Cinnamal , Cinnamyl Alcohol , *Benzyl Benzoate , *Limonene , *Linalool , Red 30

The two I made thick causes allergic reactions for me, also SLES is very stripping for many and often avoided by curlies. And a big reason many step over to shampoo bars because SLS free shampoos can be difficult to find (in my country it's very expensive and rare, a shampoo bar is afforable)
Below their ingredients they mention it's all 'natural ingredients' and 'safe synthetics' but looking at my allergic reactions ... my opinion of 'safe' doesn't share theirs lmao.

"Cinnamyl alcohol has been found to have a sensitising effect on some people" wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamyl_alcohol). That also has weird reactions on my skin D:

Also in Europe, they took out the ingredient Eugenol. I was comparing them and I noticed it was missing. Because appearantly it's banned in EU (source (https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/702373/EUGENOL/)). I didn't know this, but I thought it's kinda interesting to know, because it shows that not only people but continents also still don't agree on what they consider safe.

I hope I explained it well enough why I don't use Lush products!

diddiedaisy
March 13th, 2017, 04:21 AM
It's great to hear so many success stories with shampoo bars. I myself am going to be sticking to all natural bars and although the Lush bars smell nice I don't see the point in using them, easier to just get a normal bottle of shampoo. Wravyn, there are loads of sellers on Ebay selling handmade natural bars, if you prefer a nice scent you could just look for one with an essential oil you like. :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 13th, 2017, 03:46 PM
I couldnt get over the wax feeling it was giving my hair, my hair was also more tangled while using them.
So I ended up giving my bars away, I have a bit more left, probably a good 5 months of use TBH.
So not fully off them yet, but I gave them a try.

poli
March 14th, 2017, 02:13 AM
I couldnt get over the wax feeling it was giving my hair, my hair was also more tangled while using them.
So I ended up giving my bars away, I have a bit more left, probably a good 5 months of use TBH.

I was ready to give up too. But this week I finally got it right I think - no waxy hair finally :)
I did what samanthaa described - conditioner on length and only soap suds on scalp, week vinegar rinse + lots and lots of rinsing and mermaid soaking (because it works for me - whatever product I use I need to wash it out with water really well).

Silverbleed
March 14th, 2017, 01:46 PM

Too bad! It took me a very long time to transition too, but you tried! I can relate to the tangled issue. I really depend on the acv for those reasons. Can't imagine without now!

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 14th, 2017, 07:01 PM
I was ready to give up too. But this week I finally got it right I think - no waxy hair finally :)
I did what samanthaa described - conditioner on length and only soap suds on scalp, week vinegar rinse + lots and lots of rinsing and mermaid soaking (because it works for me - whatever product I use I need to wash it out with water really well).

Did you mean weak? Not week?

Issue is my hair really likes cones and seems to respond better to them rather than being cone free so I am unsure if bars will work for me I have some squares left though so I can keep experimenting but I just dont think it works for me.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 14th, 2017, 07:03 PM
Too bad! It took me a very long time to transition too, but you tried! I can relate to the tangled issue. I really depend on the acv for those reasons. Can't imagine without now!

I mean I was cone free - co washing for awhile, at least a year, so I am unsure if my hair went through a transition.
After a year of that my hair was pretty pissy and unhappy and tangled.
I still depend on ACV now. I cant imagine going without, even though I use cones now. Theres something about it.
I hate the way it smells but without it my hair tends to be a lot more frizzy and tangled.

poli
March 15th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Did you mean weak? Not week?

Issue is my hair really likes cones and seems to respond better to them rather than being cone free so I am unsure if bars will work for me I have some squares left though so I can keep experimenting but I just dont think it works for me.

Yes, sorry I meant "weak" and surprisingly for me the weaker rinse was better :)
I think I did it too strong previously. This time I couldn't really smell the vinegar anymore, it was so diluted.

lizardspots
March 15th, 2017, 10:47 AM
I have been using shampoo bars and ACV rinses for about 2 months now. Initially I had fantastic results and no transition period. Now I've noticed my hair is getting more tangled and difficult to brush without a lot of breakage. I think I need to go back to using conditioner to give it some slip. Should I use the conditioner before or after the ACV rinse? I also do a pre-poo coconut oiling of the length.

Brittpit
April 5th, 2017, 02:41 AM
What is a good way to store your shampoo bars? I find that the bottom side always stays a bit wet and mushy.

Chromis
April 5th, 2017, 07:06 AM
I use a slotted tray and keep it on the ledge outside of the shower curtain and only have one bar out at once.

Silverbleed
April 5th, 2017, 07:48 AM
I cut mine in pieces if the bar is very big. The one I use is always in a soap dish with holes so the water can get away and it'll dry, so it won't become mushy. It looks similar to this (https://s.s-bol.com/imgbase0/imagebase/large/FC/4/8/9/4/9200000025804984.jpg). The ones I don't use I keep in a dry spot in another room.

Brittpit
April 5th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Thank you for your help! I feel stupid that I didn't think of that myself haha.

Silverbleed
April 5th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Oh don't worry about that, I didn't have a soap dish either so I also had the mushy problem. If you're so adapted to liquid, it's something you forget xD

Brittpit
April 5th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Yes, it took a while to get used to the solid shampoo bars, both for my hair and for me to use them well ;). I also convinced a friend today to try them out, because she really liked the way my hair looked. Yay for shampoo bars!

pili
April 5th, 2017, 12:28 PM
Yes, it took a while to get used to the solid shampoo bars, both for my hair and for me to use them well ;). I also convinced a friend today to try them out, because she really liked the way my hair looked. Yay for shampoo bars!

Me too! A friend of mine just ordered some for her family. :D

Brittpit
April 6th, 2017, 02:08 AM
How often do you clarify? I have been using CV bars for 4 months now (plus cone free condis) and I am feeling greasy by the end of day 1 now..

Aredhel
April 6th, 2017, 07:04 AM
How often do you clarify? I have been using CV bars for 4 months now (plus cone free condis) and I am feeling greasy by the end of day 1 now..

You pretty much clarify when you feel your scalp needs it! :) I do it weekly, because my scalp is very prone to buildup. I think most people who clarify do it every week or two.

Chromis
April 6th, 2017, 07:56 AM
I adjust my acidic mix as needed but don't do any clarifying shampoo sort of washes.

pili
April 6th, 2017, 08:01 AM
I adjust my acidic mix as needed but don't do any clarifying shampoo sort of washes.

How do you adjust? More acidity?

Chromis
April 6th, 2017, 08:18 AM
How do you adjust? More acidity?

Yep! If my hair went greasy faster than normal after my last wash, I use less. If it seemed more tangly or rougher, I use more the next time. If it feels rough I add a bit of citric acid. With hard water I had to use that every wash, now I can just use ACV pretty much all the time.

pili
April 6th, 2017, 08:30 AM
I may need to look at citric acid. My hair is naturally dry, so anything that helps with softness is good.

rouxlala
April 17th, 2017, 07:32 PM
What are the benefits you guys have experienced with bars versus liquids?

Nymphaea
April 19th, 2017, 11:34 AM
I used them a few times but my hair gets that frizzy soapy feeling after washing it because we have very hard water here.
i can only use them if i do a ACV wash after.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 19th, 2017, 07:01 PM
So I don't think ill ever be using up the pieces that I cut up and put into a jar. Its 3 different CV bars, all cut up and thrown together into a jar.
I dont seem to touch them so if anyone wants them and wants to pay for shipping they can have them. I would throw them away but I dont want to be wasteful.
Only thing is I cannot remember what bars were left that I threw into it.
If anyone wants it, message me, otherwise it may be going into the trash :(

samanthaa
April 20th, 2017, 11:27 AM
^ do you not use body soap? I often end up having to use my shampoos as body soap because I go through my body bars much quicker than my shampoo bars!

ETA:

1. No SLS, and overall just healthier/safer ingredients
2. No plastic packaging
3. Can travel easier with them, as they don't have to abide by the liquid oz requirements on airplanes (also in general they're just less bulky compared to the bottles, and can double as body soap if you're super strapped for space)

As for the benefits on the conditioner of my hair...well, I can't really remember what my hair used to feel/look like when I was using liquid shampoo (it's been close to three years since I switched). I know I had problems with some liquid shampoos causing my scalp to itch (and subsequently bleed from all the itching) like crazy. What I will say is that my hair is super soft and shiny, it gets and stays clean for days following a shampoo (though this may have to do with my success in stretching washes as well) even if I use oils in my hair prior to shampooing, and I feel good both about what I'm putting on my body and dumping down the drain. I will never go back to liquid shampoo.

Silverbleed
April 20th, 2017, 02:26 PM

The amount of affordable sulfate free products here is very low. It's either expensive (22-25€ a bottle for Shea Moisture) or the brands I've had were still not working for me. I seem to be overly sensitive to many ingredients. I've always considered my skin problems 'normal' at first, but now I know it's caused by the ingredients in shampoos, handsoap, toothpaste etc.
For me the biggest issues I've found (so far) are;
- sulfates; When I use liquid hand soap, my hands get dry and creates small wounds after multiple uses. It can start cracking and bleeding after less than three days of use. I can't even imagine my scalp. I figured this out after I quit it for a while, because curlies and wavies explained it could destroy the curl pattern. This was also true, but the skin issues sulfates gave me were far worse.
- perfume; gives me a headache. I suffer from chronic migraines, and synthetic perfume appears to be a trigger. I'm not entirely sure but it always happens, so I avoid it if I can.
- silicone; more and more bottles contain silicone, even the shampoos. That stuff weights my hair down and gives me terrible acne wherever it touches my skin. My back suffered a lot for many many years... I've got a lot of scars, I feel awful knowing it was simply conditioner I had to quit using.
Also after a few days it becomes sticky and gross, it gives the effect of greasy hair while it's not really greasy. I like to stretch washes, but with silicone it was impossible to do. After three days I had to shampoo my hair. I prefer weekly washes.
- my hair loves sebum. My curls look sooo good with it. So I don't see any reason to remove it, and replace it with a different product to recreate the same effect.
- liquid shampoo makes me hair SO INCREDIBLY FRIZZY OMG. I hate it. It becomes a huge puffball and it's static all the time all over. I haven't had static hair since I quit, except for a while ago - when I had to use shampoo because of a greasy spot I got working with very greasy products during etching and screen printing. That moment reminded me how frikkin' annoying frizz is. *tableflip*

Skin issues I've had were;
- itches, all the frikkin time. All over my body too, because I used liquid soap for a long time. Well, not anymore lol.
- dandruff; I had it all the time, every day for as long as I could remember. I've tried many things. Once I quit liquid shampoo, it got worse so I was fearing I had to go back. But I'm happy I kept on going, now I'm free of dandruff for two years.
- red patches all over, and sometimes small bumps from irritation.
- hair loss. I've had a lot of hair loss for years. I woke up with hair all over my pillow. I thought it was normal, until now. Now I loose a ridiculous low amount of hair, I seriously wonder if I even reach 50 hairs a day. I'll have one or two on my pillow, or none at all...

I'd like to think I'm a normal and average person, but I'm confident I'm much more sensitive than other people xD Only I never realized how much, I usually ignored it and considered it normal.
I'll never go back to liquid shampoo, tbh. I've been experimenting with water only as well, which has been very successfull. Not many people have success with shampoo bars, let alone water only. So I should probably make good use of it.
So I'm happy I found out about shampoo bars. My skin has been so much better, and it makes me feel much more comfortable.

pili
April 22nd, 2017, 09:45 AM

There seems to be a running theme here with the replays, so maybe we aren't all that unique in our reactions.

I too had horrible reactions to SLS and synthetics. Regular shampoos make my scalp dry out, crack, and bleed. I actually stopped using them fourteen years ago. "Natural" shampoos made my hair very dry. And I've always had to be careful of any kind of conditioner. Even brands like SM and Devacurl made me have reactions. When I made the switch at the beginning of the year to shampoo bars, ACV rinses and oiling, I stopped needing all the other stuff. My hair care is so much simpler now! I am definitely not loosing my curl. My hair retains moisture now, even with very little of anything in it (this is significant, since I produce very little sebum). I will never go back to synthetic cleansers or conditioners.

rouxlala
April 22nd, 2017, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys! Any particular brands y'all have had more success with?

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 24th, 2017, 04:21 PM
^ do you not use body soap? I often end up having to use my shampoos as body soap because I go through my body bars much quicker than my shampoo bars!

No, I do not. I prefer water only.

samanthaa
April 25th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys! Any particular brands y'all have had more success with?

I've used Apple Valley and Chagrin Valley. I can't remember if I posted about my experience with Apple Valley here. They worked just fine, but I found that CV lathered much better, plus the ingredients in CV bars are unbeatable IMO. I had to watch out for synthetic fragrances and weird ingredients like "vanilla essential oil" and "titanium dioxide" in the AV bars.

rouxlala
April 25th, 2017, 09:07 PM
I've used Apple Valley and Chagrin Valley. I can't remember if I posted about my experience with Apple Valley here. They worked just fine, but I found that CV lathered much better, plus the ingredients in CV bars are unbeatable IMO. I had to watch out for synthetic fragrances and weird ingredients like "vanilla essential oil" and "titanium dioxide" in the AV bars.

Thank you! That helps!

pili
April 28th, 2017, 10:06 PM
I love the Chagrin Valley too.

WillOTree
April 29th, 2017, 06:09 PM
I'm hooked. I got some cv bars, so far have used the babassu marshmallow bar and I love it. Lathers well, and cleans my hair! I don't get the stripped feeling at ALL.

SunnyRose
May 1st, 2017, 01:16 AM
I had the same experience with shampoo bars. They leave a soapy/waxy coating thats weighs down my roots. Even with an ACV rinse the soap doesn't fully wash out. In the end my hair just felt terrible and stripped.

savfairy
May 7th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Has anyone used the CV soapnuts bar? I tried a bunch of the CV bars a while back (soapnuts, carrot, tea tree, coconut milk, henna chestnut) and the soapnuts was the only one that worked well for my hair. It left it clean without being too weighed down. I just ordered another today! :D

pili
May 9th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Has anyone used the CV soapnuts bar? I tried a bunch of the CV bars a while back (soapnuts, carrot, tea tree, coconut milk, henna chestnut) and the soapnuts was the only one that worked well for my hair. It left it clean without being too weighed down. I just ordered another today! :D
Not yet, but it's the next one. I actually am on the Conditioning bar and I'm not liking it as much as the others I've tried. Oh, well, they can't all be great.

June 4th, 2017, 11:25 PM
Is using 100% olive a good idea? From one of these aleppo brands? No laurel, just olive? That's only soap I have on hand. Will it destroy my hair, should I absolutely buy soap for hair? How much ACV (dilution) am I supposed to use afterwards? Do I leave ACV in hair? I oil heavily/have a lot of sebum. Like, a lot, if I use horn comb. So I need something heavy duty.

Larki
June 23rd, 2017, 06:18 PM
Does anyone have any resources for shampoo bars with lots of different scents? Apple Valley is discontinuing most of their stuff and I adore their pink lemonade and princess bars. I also love dessert-type scents - basically fruity or desserty.

Fru fru
June 26th, 2017, 02:02 PM
I made some lemongrass and bergamot shampoo bars last year and didn't think it suited my hair. I put them out of the way and forgot about them until today when I decided to try them again.

It's cured nicely after 9 months and seems to have done a nice job, my hair is soft not waxy feeling but has more texture than usual. I like that because it looks and feels thicker but it's a strange feeling to me, is it something you get used to?

Silverbleed
June 27th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Does anyone have any resources for shampoo bars with lots of different scents? Apple Valley is discontinuing most of their stuff and I adore their pink lemonade and princess bars. I also love dessert-type scents - basically fruity or desserty.

I've understood most shampoo bars from Etsy have nice scents. You could always consider contacting a few sellers and ask them if they have any fruity bars available.

Silverbleed
June 27th, 2017, 01:03 PM
I made some lemongrass and bergamot shampoo bars last year and didn't think it suited my hair. I put them out of the way and forgot about them until today when I decided to try them again.

It's cured nicely after 9 months and seems to have done a nice job, my hair is soft not waxy feeling but has more texture than usual. I like that because it looks and feels thicker but it's a strange feeling to me, is it something you get used to?

(I wish I could make my own!)

Yes it's normal. ACV/conditioner really helps to get rid of most residu. Some people (or their hair, basically) adjust to it, some don't. I've 'restarted' several times, and for me it really does get better after several washes (and I really regret restarting because I can notice a big difference.) Currently I am able to do without ACV if I'd like to. It does depend on the type of shampoo bar, though!

The first time it took me a while to adjust, and I was about to give up after two months. But now it's much easier to adjust, probably because I experiment with water only as well, and if I restart it's usually with diluted shampoo. So it's not as dry as back when I started.

Also it seems dry hair keeps much more residu stuck to it. Especially if it's really dry. Once I've washed my hair several times with a shampoo bar, and it doesn't strip my scalp as much, I think it may leave less residu. It's just a thought while I am writing this, but it makes sense to me.

terebinth
June 30th, 2017, 05:33 AM
has anyone tested the nettle shampoo bar from cv? I've never used a shampoo bar before, and I just ordered one. I'm super excited to try it out!!

~terra :heartbeat :heartbeat

Fru fru
June 30th, 2017, 05:34 AM
That makes sense Silverbleed.

I have washed for the second time with my shampoo bar and my hair feels great! This time I didn't rinse out the acv as I have really hard water, I then did the loc method with avocado oil and kinky curly leave in.

The only difficulty with making your own bars is dealing with lye. Oh and patience, the bars I made have a high olive oil content so need longer before they can be unmolded and take longer to cure but they are much more moisturising because of it.

Chromis
June 30th, 2017, 09:30 AM
has anyone tested the nettle shampoo bar from cv? I've never used a shampoo bar before, and I just ordered one. I'm super excited to try it out!!

~terra :heartbeat :heartbeat

The nettle bar is one of my favourites!

SouthernSweetie
July 5th, 2017, 01:24 PM
My very first order of CV shampoo bars is awaiting my arrival at my back door. I can't wait to get off work and go home and sniff all of them. Ha.
I got sample sizes of Extra Honey Beer, Coconut Milk, Neem & Tea Tree, Rosemary Lavendar, Rosemary Mint Charcoal, Chamomile & Citrus, and Butter Bar Conditioning Shampoo. :bounce: So exciting. I know that seems like a lot of samples but I couldn't help myself. Plus, I can just use them for my body if I don't like them on my hair. I think since the Chamomile & Citrus is made with soapnuts I'll try that one first. Maybe it will help ease my transition period a little. I will share my results soon! :joy:

SouthernSweetie
July 6th, 2017, 06:46 AM
Whoa. I was not expecting that much lather from a few strokes of that tiny bar of Chamomile & Citrus soap. I am very impressed. I did get that waxy squeaky clean feeling that people are mentioning in this thread, but as soon as I poured on my ACV&Tea Tree oil hair rinse it magically got so much softer. The waxiness went away, but my ends are a little tangled still. I think next time I will pour the rinse on my head and catch it in a bowl so that I can dip my ends. I definitely have more volume at the roots, and a little more throughout the length. I didn't actually scrub the length like I did my scalp, I kinda let the suds slide down while I was rinsing. Next time I might try working it into my length a little more to get rid of whatever build up I have. Overall, I really like it! And my scalp is happy and not itching for the first time in a week. YAY for shampoo bars and ACV! How long does it take to fully transition for most people? I don't want to switch bars until I have transitioned completely so that I know how my hair is going to do long term with each formula, but I can't help but want to try a different one just to see the difference.
P.S. Just for laughs, last night right after I finished in the shower I was towel drying my hair before getting into bed. My bf was already lying down half asleep and I said: "Just a heads up, my hair is going to smell like vinegar." He didn't even move and said, "Well, I guess you'll be sleeping all the way on your side of the bed then." Haha. I love that my hair experiments don't even phase him anymore. :laugh:

Silverbleed
July 9th, 2017, 03:44 PM
For me it took around two months the first time. But this was full transition, including itching, flakes and having my sebum production lowered. I used to wash almost daily (or I tried not to, but I actually had to). Now I can go weekly if I have to. I think it can really depend on how healthy your scalp already is. Mine was pretty bad. A good friend of mine needed only two weeks or something, she didn't have any itching and flakes or didn't dye her hair.

katieing
July 9th, 2017, 04:28 PM
I just ordered some CV bars, but I'm afraid they'll be no use to me as I live in a place with extremely hard water. I fully expect to have to do ACV rinses, but what ratios of ACV to water are too high? I've seen some people say they put a tablespoon in a cup of water, but is that too strong?

Also, what are some alternatives to ACV rinses? I've heard of citric acid rinses, but what kind of ratios would I use for that? Does it do the same thing as ACV?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just so excited (and nervous) about using shampoo bars for the first time! :bounce:

Chromis
July 9th, 2017, 04:49 PM
I had no transition period and had live with the hardest water in Canada. We only got a water softener a couple years ago, so I have a lot of experience with hard water!

My ratio of ACV to water is still stronger than a tbsp to a cup! Pre-softener I used a good healthy "glug" of AVC *and* also about a scant 1/16 tsp of citric acid. With ultra hard water, I find citric acid much more effective, and the combo is really good. Even when I briefly flirted again with sulphate-containing shampoo I found I had much, much better results if I kept up with the acidic rinse, so that is actually my largest advice even if you decide shampoo bars are not for you.

SouthernSweetie
July 9th, 2017, 04:54 PM
For me it took around two months the first time. But this was full transition, including itching, flakes and having my sebum production lowered. I used to wash almost daily (or I tried not to, but I actually had to). Now I can go weekly if I have to. I think it can really depend on how healthy your scalp already is. Mine was pretty bad. A good friend of mine needed only two weeks or something, she didn't have any itching and flakes or didn't dye her hair.

I've been a little itchy, and pretty oily but that's normal for me. So far the experience has been great. I notice more volume and texture too which is a plus.

diddiedaisy
July 10th, 2017, 04:21 PM
I like shampoo bars and so does the skin on my back. However, I have used normal shampoo the last three washes to use up a bottle, and my hair looks so much better.

I find the bars can leave my scalp hair looking a bit greasy and lank. I have tried varying strengths of vinigar rinse but to no avail.

Any tips anyone? :)

Chromis
July 10th, 2017, 06:14 PM
Hmmmm, you have tried the thing I normally suggest! Usually blank and greasy means I made my rinse too strong. Another thought is that you might need one more lather.

I like shampoo bars and so does the skin on my back. However, I have used normal shampoo the last three washes to use up a bottle, and my hair looks so much better.

I find the bars can leave my scalp hair looking a bit greasy and lank. I have tried varying strengths of vinigar rinse but to no avail.

Any tips anyone? :)

diddiedaisy
July 11th, 2017, 12:01 AM
Hmmmm, you have tried the thing I normally suggest! Usually blank and greasy means I made my rinse too strong. Another thought is that you might need one more lather.

Thanks, I'll try a weaker solution this morning see if it helps. :)

AlKhazzaR
July 11th, 2017, 12:09 AM
The one and only soap I found working with my hair is lass naturals fruit blast due to fruit acids which decrease PH and it doesn't leave any residue just make hair shiny. Tried pretty many of them from aleppo to various kinds of indian soaps. Downside it's glycerin soap so it's disappearing fast.

katieing
July 12th, 2017, 11:25 AM
I just got my bars in and I am so excited! I have no idea where to start. I got Coconut Milk, Auburn Henna, Ayurvedic, and Honey Beer & Egg. I think I will start with the Ayurvedic bar. Also, the samples are HUGE. Not that I'm complaining, though :)

katieing
July 12th, 2017, 12:37 PM
I just got my bars in and I am so excited! I have no idea where to start. I got Coconut Milk, Auburn Henna, Ayurvedic, and Honey Beer & Egg. I think I will start with the Ayurvedic bar. Also, the samples are HUGE. Not that I'm complaining, though :)

So I just got out of the shower and my hair feels sleek. Like, clean, but not squeaky, if that makes sense. Very smooth.

The lather on the Ayurvedic bar was wonderful! I only had to lather the bar once, which was nice. Usually I have to use two small gobs of shampoo to get all my scalp shampoo'd.

Everything was very luxurious, until I went to rinse off the suds. The instant my hair was under the water, it felt like a block of wax shudder: I rinsed with a strong dose of ACV (maybe 2-3 tablespoons in almost 2 cups of water, the water in Florida is suuper hard) and my hair felt happy again :) I let it sit for maybe 5 minutes and was trying to decide if I should rinse or not. But I could not stand the smell of the ACV, so I rinsed, and my hair felt the same. I was worried it would be a slab of wax again :lol:

So far, my hair feels amazing. Moisturized yet clean, and there is only the faintest hint of vinegar smell. I already see some of my wavy frizzies popping up around my head, but that's normal for me... I'll check back in when my hair is all dry. As of now, I'd say this bar did a pretty good job!

katieing
July 12th, 2017, 06:40 PM
I hate to keep bumping this thread, but I just wanted to update on my hair.

My hair is just about finished drying (the middle back section of my hair is still damp, but I am too impatient!) and it still smells slightly of vinegar (may or may not be the damp hair, but still) It's not overpowering, but just noticeable enough that it's putting off my appetite. I was hoping the smell of the bar would prevail, but the vinegar covers it all up... Maybe I will go with a citric acid rinse next time to avoid the smell.

I love the way my hair feels though. Soft, silky, and smooth (when brushed). The only complaint I have is that my hair is still frizzy as heck before brushing. It pulled out my waves, but man did it make my frizzies excited :lol: I mean, I have some baby hairs that I doubted would be tamed, but my length is just wild. Maybe too strong of an ACV rinse? After brushing the frizzies go away, but so do my waves :( I guess I'll try different things until I can keep my waves and calm my fuzzies.

Overall, I would say this shampoo bar adventure was a success!! I am so excited. My hair has never felt this good from liquid shampoo and conditioner, no matter how much I use. Maybe I'm on a shampoo bar high, but I think these things are great :p

samanthaa
July 13th, 2017, 09:57 AM
Yay, katieing, I love success stories because I love shampoo bars myself! :cheer::cheer:

Sometimes I add a few drops of essential oils to my ACV rinse to mask the smell (bergamot is nice; I feel like anything citrusy goes well with ACV), or use a nice-smelling tea instead of water (Chagrin Valley sells some "hair teas" which I've used and like, but I do find them quite expensive); right now I'm using once from Nightblooming (which can also be drunk!).

katieing
July 13th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Yay, katieing, I love success stories because I love shampoo bars myself! :cheer::cheer:

Sometimes I add a few drops of essential oils to my ACV rinse to mask the smell (bergamot is nice; I feel like anything citrusy goes well with ACV), or use a nice-smelling tea instead of water (Chagrin Valley sells some "hair teas" which I've used and like, but I do find them quite expensive); right now I'm using once from Nightblooming (which can also be drunk!).

Thank you for the advice! I think I might play around with the strength of the ACV rinse, but if the smell prevails I will look into EOs. I've never been this excited to wash my hair :rolleyes:

samanthaa
July 28th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Hmmm I can't decide if I'm going crazy or if I really am seeing reddish highlights in my virgin growth. I might switch to citric acid rinses instead of ACV rinses, although I prefer the way ACV makes my hair feel.

Chromis
July 28th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Some people do notice reddish highlights from ACV and like to use white vinegar instead. I really like citric acid, but the two are slightly different in effect. (Citric acid can help lift minerals off the hair, ACV mostly just prevents them from depositing)

lapushka
July 28th, 2017, 01:43 PM
When I tried vinegar, I was afraid of color change in my hair and used plain white vinegar (besides, we don't have anything else in the house). I didn't much like the rinse, much preferred lemon rinses. But, yes try white vinegar!

animetor7
July 28th, 2017, 03:01 PM
I must say I never noticed any reddish highlights when I used ACV a few times a week, I switched to white vinegar because in my area it's a tad cheaper, but other than that I don't notice a huge difference between the two, they are very similar in how they make my hair feel and how well they deal with shampoo bar residue. I never noticed any color change, but that could be because I'm an auburn-head anyway though so any additional reddish highlights might go unnoticed in my already reddish hair. If it does really add some red highlights in though I might switch back because I like to play up the red in my hair, not enough to dye it because I don't want to deal with roots, but enough that subtle encouragement towards red is definitely something I'd like to try. :)

samanthaa
July 31st, 2017, 07:22 AM
I tried a lemon juice rinse this week (1 T fresh lemon juice in about 3 cups water) and it didn't leave me hair feeling as nice as ACV. It was a bit tangly. I looked for citric acid in the nearby hardware store but they only had one with additives in it. Might have to get it online. I can't remember where I bought it the last time I was experimenting with CA.

I might try white vinegar if I get my hands on some for household cleaning...but the smell is even stronger than ACV, isn't it?

animetor7
July 31st, 2017, 01:19 PM
I tried a lemon juice rinse this week (1 T fresh lemon juice in about 3 cups water) and it didn't leave me hair feeling as nice as ACV. It was a bit tangly. I looked for citric acid in the nearby hardware store but they only had one with additives in it. Might have to get it online. I can't remember where I bought it the last time I was experimenting with CA.

I might try white vinegar if I get my hands on some for household cleaning...but the smell is even stronger than ACV, isn't it?

I find ACV to be stronger in scent than white vinegar. You can also add essential oils to it and then it only really smells of the oils with perhaps a bit of a "tang" from the vinegar, but not a true vinegar scent if that makes sense. When I've done this I can't smell the vinegar at all once it's diluted so that could be a solution if you're worried about the smell. Good luck!!

Chromis
July 31st, 2017, 01:30 PM
I find the ACV "with the mother" aka the natural hippie kind smells way better than the commercial version and regular vinegar is way too strong smelling for me.

Lots of Canadians enjoy vinegar on the fries (often malt, but white is common too) and I just can't. Nope, nope, nope. No cleaning fluid on my fries please!

samanthaa
August 1st, 2017, 07:58 AM
I do use ACV with the mother haha (I'm kinda a hippy).

Also: ew. I'm with you with straight vinegar on foods. I cannot.

Thanks, animetor7! I'll probably give white at least one chance.

animetor7
August 1st, 2017, 09:55 AM
I do use ACV with the mother haha (I'm kinda a hippy).

Also: ew. I'm with you with straight vinegar on foods. I cannot.

Thanks, animetor7! I'll probably give white at least one chance.

You're welcome!! Also the nice thing about White vinegar is that even if it doesn't work on your hair it's still incredibly useful around the house. :) Although straight on food I agree with you both is not for me.

pili
August 10th, 2017, 12:14 PM
I was at Target yesterday, and out of curiosity I went and read the ingredients list on several brands I see recommended here. I got so confused that I came home and pulled up the shampoo bar thread for reassurance. I know all that stuff works on many, but I kept remembering my hair shedding so much each day, I thought I had drowned a cat in the tub. I wouldn't even know what to go back to if I reverted.

katydid317
August 15th, 2017, 12:35 PM
I've been looking for an option to try to be able to wash my hair less often and have decided to try JR Ligetts natural shampoo bars. My fine 1b hair gets greasy fast and I have tried WO or no poo methods in the past and I can't make it through the transition phase it just gets so gross and itchy. I have been daily shampooing with head and shoulders itchy scalp care for years now and while my hair feels ok as it gets longer dying becomes a pain and I would like to be able to baby it a bit.

Is there a transition phase for hair to adjust to a natural soap vs commercial shampoos? Is it in fact gentler on hair as well? I plan on doing ACV rinses moving forward but I forgot to bring it in the shower with me today. I have no brand preference so if anyone has suggestions of what kind of bars are good I would love to try a few!

animetor7
August 15th, 2017, 12:49 PM
There generally is a transition period for shampoo bars and I think it depends on your hair type as to whether it's a gentler or better option for you. The surfactants in true shampoo bars are certainly gentler than those in "normal" shampoo, but they also require more manipulation of the hair, so it depends on your hair and scalp. Here is a thread you should check out for suggestions on different bars, transitioning, and any other questions you might have. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74

Good luck!!

katydid317
August 15th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Fantastic! Off to start reading!

Chromis
August 15th, 2017, 02:17 PM
I am going to zoom this over into that thread, wheee!

ACV rinses are absolutely essential for me. Some people are able to go without, but most of us do seem to need a rinse.

GrowingOut
August 15th, 2017, 03:30 PM
I've recently started using Lush's Trichomania shampoo bar and frankly I've found it's really nice! :D I cut the bar into one-use small chunks that are quite thin and the size of my fingernail to help prevent wasting the bar, and it smells and feels divine on my hair!

katydid317
August 16th, 2017, 07:59 AM
I decided to try shampoo bars to go with a more natural, less stripping shampoo in the hopes that it will help me stop needing to wash daily because it gets greasy so fast. I have tried no poo methods in terms past and my hair just always felt gross and I couldn't make it through the transition.

I got my JR Ligetts bar yesterday and gave it a try and I'm happy so far. I would go as far as to say I'm a convert! I forgot to bring my vinegar up to the shower which I think will help. My hair feels soft but not as slippery as usual which is awesome because I usually have to redo my updos a few times during the day because they slip out. My scalp is a little itchy though. I plan to to ACV rinses with a drop of peppermint eo. Maybe that will help with the itch? I have been using head&shoulders itchy scalp hair for years so this is a normal problem for me any time I don't use my usual shampoo.

katydid317
August 16th, 2017, 08:00 AM
I find the ACV "with the mother" aka the natural hippie kind smells way better than the commercial version and regular vinegar is way too strong smelling for me.

Lots of Canadians enjoy vinegar on the fries (often malt, but white is common too) and I just can't. Nope, nope, nope. No cleaning fluid on my fries please!

I love vinegar on my fries, especially malt!

paulownia
August 16th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Ok, I have to admit, I never used shampoo bars but after reading some posts here I got interested:) and would like to give it a try. I want to order J.R Liggets Old Fashioned Original. I have a couple of questions ;) do I need to clarify my hair before washing with shampoo bar? Other than that, I'm using gel to style my waves and I'm not quite sure if a shampoo bar will remove it.

vpatt
August 16th, 2017, 09:35 AM
I tried my Shea Moisture black soap just now with a vinegar rinse. I won't really know what I think until later today or even over the next couple of days.

pili
August 16th, 2017, 04:51 PM
I've got an order of CV bars coming in tomorrow. I can officially say I'm addicted.

Cherriezzzzz
August 16th, 2017, 05:02 PM
I've got an order of CV bars coming in tomorrow. I can officially say I'm addicted.

I am too addicted... google Apple Valley Natural soap they seem to have some great shampoo bars too!

katydid317
August 16th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Handmade shampoo bars like CV are old fashioned soap. The kind your great, great, great grandmother used on her hair before commercial detergents were invented. Almost all Lush bars are solid forms of the liquid shampoo you find in regular shampoo. Even worse, they are heavy on the SLS and are extremely stripping. There is nothing natural about them. They just took away the plastic bottle and made a puck of detergent shampoo.

I tried a Lush shampoo bar once and it was so so so drying I could only use it very occasionally. And my hair is normally pretty greasy and I almost never use conditioner on it and it doesn't get dry. I ended up using it as my shampoo for at the gym because I'm too frugal to throw things out, but I will never use Lush products again.

Cherriezzzzz
August 17th, 2017, 11:27 AM
I've not tried the lush detergent pucks (hehe) but in case someone wants to try them in general, as I've heard they smell great and last a long time, they've responded top their customers complaints about how much sls they use and have created new formulas which reduce the amount of sls in some of their shampoo pucks. There may be one that has no sls, but it is only one. I think it's their cowash avacado bar. If I ever go back to not using CV I'd try theirs. I'm not going to call sls evil just yet.

animetor7
August 17th, 2017, 11:48 AM
I've recently started using Lush's Trichomania shampoo bar and frankly I've found it's really nice! :D I cut the bar into one-use small chunks that are quite thin and the size of my fingernail to help prevent wasting the bar, and it smells and feels divine on my hair!

I tried a Lush shampoo bar once and it was so so so drying I could only use it very occasionally. And my hair is normally pretty greasy and I almost never use conditioner on it and it doesn't get dry. I ended up using it as my shampoo for at the gym because I'm too frugal to throw things out, but I will never use Lush products again.

I've not tried the lush detergent pucks (hehe) but in case someone wants to try them in general, as I've heard they smell great and last a long time, they've responded top their customers complaints about how much sls they use and have created new formulas which reduce the amount of sls in some of their shampoo pucks. There may be one that has no sls, but it is only one. I think it's their cowash avacado bar. If I ever go back to not using CV I'd try theirs. I'm not going to call sls evil just yet.

Sort of in response to lush "shampoo bars" getting lumped in with soap-based shampoo bars. Here are some thoughts on the differences between them. I'm not trying to target anyone and if you like lush, by all means, use what makes you and your hair happy. :) :flower: I just have noticed the lush "shampoo bars" getting mentioned a lot on this thread and compared to more typical soap-based bars.

I wouldn't call SLS evil, it just isn't the same thing as a natural soap bar. Certain things about detergent pucks ( :) ) are easier, such as this type of "shampoo bar" eliminates the need for a vinegar rinse because it's a detergent washing the hair rather than soap, so it shouldn't cause the same change in pH or soap scum on the hair that regular shampoo bars do. But other things about it are worse for people who specifically want to use soap and "real" shampoo bars. For one thing, detergents are much harsher surfactants than natural soap is, which can cause problems for those with eczema or just dry or sensitive skin. Also, because they contain SLS, they will cause problems for those with a sensitivity or allergy to SLS just like any liquid detergent bar would. Personally I think that maybe this type of "shampoo bar" should get it's own thread or get lumped with more standard shampoos because they don't behave like soap-based shampoo bars do and their usage is much more similar to standard liquid shampoo as are their effects on the hair and scalp. They aren't evil, just very different beasts than what many of us on this thread think of as a shampoo bar.

pili
August 17th, 2017, 12:13 PM
I am too addicted... google Apple Valley Natural soap they seem to have some great shampoo bars too!
I'll check them out!

Sort of in response to lush "shampoo bars" getting lumped in with soap-based shampoo bars. Here are some thoughts on the differences between them. I'm not trying to target anyone and if you like lush, by all means, use what makes you and your hair happy. :) :flower: I just have noticed the lush "shampoo bars" getting mentioned a lot on this thread and compared to more typical soap-based bars.

I wouldn't call SLS evil, it just isn't the same thing as a natural soap bar. Certain things about detergent pucks ( :) ) are easier, such as this type of "shampoo bar" eliminates the need for a vinegar rinse because it's a detergent washing the hair rather than soap, so it shouldn't cause the same change in pH or soap scum on the hair that regular shampoo bars do. But other things about it are worse for people who specifically want to use soap and "real" shampoo bars. For one thing, detergents are much harsher surfactants than natural soap is, which can cause problems for those with eczema or just dry or sensitive skin. Also, because they contain SLS, they will cause problems for those with a sensitivity or allergy to SLS just like any liquid detergent bar would. Personally I think that maybe this type of "shampoo bar" should get it's own thread or get lumped with more standard shampoos because they don't behave like soap-based shampoo bars do and their usage is much more similar to standard liquid shampoo as are their effects on the hair and scalp. They aren't evil, just very different beasts than what many of us on this thread think of as a shampoo bar.
SLS is evil for me. I have a dry scalp and I get cracked, bleeding scalp if I use SLS. I agree it is not evil for everyone, but Lush just do sit seem any different than regular shampoo. I know there is a Luch thread over on the conventional product boards. They certainly seem to have their fan base, but I agree that they just aren't the same as "old fashioned" bars like CV.

Larki
August 17th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Apple valley is my favorite, they're very gentle while also getting my hair clean, and they smell amazing! My favorites are pink lemonade and princess buttermilk. 😍 I have a few other brands too but love apple valley to death. They also have a reward system so you get some money back every time you buy.

ko6kin
August 17th, 2017, 08:22 PM
Not all shampoo bars contain SLS, there are many baby-soft surfactants on the market and many shampoo-bars made with them.

Cherriezzzzz
August 18th, 2017, 08:13 AM
I'm ALL for Lush having it's own thread... perfect!

Lush detergent pucks are NOT the same thing as "poo bars!" I wish I could try them, but my hair is doing great on traditional poo bars. I miss not smelling like acv. My hair is very thick so the scent is always there no matter how much I rinse or if I use an infused acv...

I did see Apple Valley has citric acid SPRAY... a spray isn't gunna cover all this crazy hair haha and hence it wouldn't be cost effective if it did. Acv is so cheap and my hair likes a strong rinsing dilution.

pili
August 18th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Have you tried citric acid? A lot of people prefer it because of the smell. I also have crazy amounts of hair, but the smell of ACV doesn't linger on me.

Chromis
August 18th, 2017, 08:36 AM
While I agree that the Lush bars are not the same thing as the soap-based shampoo bars, they are going to keep landing up in this thread simply because Lush themselves has named them "shampoo bars". They are not wrong, they are a bar of shampoo, just a detergent-based shampoo instead of a soap-based one. We can direct people over to the Lush thread and make sure they know the difference, but it is not "wrong" for them to post in this thread. Most of the information is not going to apply to them though.

That said, even when I tried conventional stuff in hard water, the acidic rinses that many of us prefer/need to use when washing with soap-based bars, still made a giant difference, so I think even people who do not use this style of bar can still learn from the thread.

katydid317
August 18th, 2017, 10:41 AM
I did my second wash yesterday and remembered the ACV rinse and it made such a big difference! I'm very happy so far. My hair is soft and a little fluffy. Not frizzy exactly, just lighter feeling. It feels nice but the down side is that I can see all kinds of new growth short hair fluffing up everywhere. Although I can't really complain about growth! I can see my hair being very happy long term, but so far my scalp is still feeling a little itchy. I'm hoping that it will adjust not not using the itchy scalp head & shoulders.

Is there any special difference about lemon juice instead of ACV? I've used white vinegar in the past and I know that works for me too. I'm just wondering if there is any point to trying different acids if I know vinegar works.

pili
August 18th, 2017, 10:43 AM
I did my second wash yesterday and remembered the ACV rinse and it made such a big difference! I'm very happy so far. My hair is soft and a little fluffy. Not frizzy exactly, just lighter feeling. It feels nice but the down side is that I can see all kinds of new growth short hair fluffing up everywhere. Although I can't really complain about growth! I can see my hair being very happy long term, but so far my scalp is still feeling a little itchy. I'm hoping that it will adjust not not using the itchy scalp head & shoulders.

Is there any special difference about lemon juice instead of ACV? I've used white vinegar in the past and I know that works for me too. I'm just wondering if there is any point to trying different acids if I know vinegar works.

I guess its about playing around with it and seeing what your hair and the water in you area find works best.

samanthaa
August 18th, 2017, 10:47 AM
katydid317, I've tried lemon juice and found that it left my hair a bit tangly. Also if you're going into the sun, it's possible that sun + lemon juice will lighten your hair.

I've tried citric acid and ACV, and I have to say I prefer the feeling of ACV (though my dilution of CA may have been off--I think I used too much), BUT I am going to switch back to CA because I've found that ACV has been leaving me with subtle reddish highlights, which I'd prefer to avoid.

It's definitely worth experimenting on yourself. ACV and CA are both relatively cheap and neither goes bad. The other plus is that they're easier to use than having to juice a lemon prior to your shower :P

ETA: Oh! I see that you said white vinegar. Well, I've never used white, but I assume it's similar to ACV (though you wouldn't have to worry about red highlights, so that's a plus!).

JadedByEntropy
August 18th, 2017, 10:48 AM

lemon juice bleaches with the sun. so be careful. I'd stick to what works

katydid317
August 18th, 2017, 07:50 PM
lemon juice bleaches with the sun. so be careful. I'd stick to what works
Seems like a good plan!

I couldn't hold off washing today because I was so sweaty all night at work, so I added a drop of peppermint eo to my ACV rinse and I know I can just smell the peppermint. I'm so happy with having switched and I'm only 3 washes in. I've been browsing the CVS website too and oh man. This could become anot addiction!

Edited to add: I also measured my ponytail tonight and I got 1/4 of an inch thicker than a few days ago before I used the shampoo bar. Does using soap vs detergent make your hair plump up or is it maybe that soap residue coats the strands a bit? My hair feels fluffier, still soft and smooth and silky but is a little more voluminous. This is the kind of difference I was hoping for. My hair seems pretty happy.

HeartofHaleth
August 20th, 2017, 01:00 PM
I'm ordering up a few samples from CV today...I'd love to go more natural with hair care, and the idea of fewer bottles cluttering up the shower is very tempting...I already do ACV rinses (when I'm being good) after every wash, and my hair loves them. Am I crazy? Am I getting in over my head? Have I been sick for a week, leading to somewhat impaired judgement? I know the answer to one of those questions...;)

Incidentally, vinegar on fries is somewhat popular here in Maine, too, especially at fairs. We also like to put vinegar on cucumbers and cabbage!

katydid317
August 22nd, 2017, 07:10 AM
Incidentally, vinegar on fries is somewhat popular here in Maine, too, especially at fairs. We also like to put vinegar on cucumbers and cabbage!

There's a cucumber salad someone in family makes that's thinly sliced cucumbers in a vinegar/sour cream dressing. It's so good. So weird sounding though.

So all, a question about acid rinses. I find my hair getting greasy faster aservice I keep going with the ACV rinse. I've cut back so I'm using a tsp of vinegar to my jar of water, I'm not sure how much more I can cut back, but I'm assuming that's what's making my hair greasy? Is there another acid rinse that's less likely to make my hair greasy? Is white vinegar a little different from ACV? On the plus side, my scalp is not feeling itchy like it was at first so that's a plus. Makes me feel like I'm going in the right direction.

pili
August 22nd, 2017, 07:45 AM
Others with more experience may disagree, but my daughter's hair took a couple weeks to adjust. Her hair got very greasy, like her scalp was overproducing sebum because it had not yet realized that it wasn't being stripped as badly anymore. Then it calmed down. from my understanding, how long it takes for your body to adjust is individual.

samanthaa
August 22nd, 2017, 08:05 AM
I agree with pili. It's going to take a while for your scalp to decrease its sebum production. I can't imagine vinegar would cause greasiness.

HeartofHaleth, you are not in over your head! Just know that shampoo bars are different, and you may need to adjust your method a few times before you get it right. Don't feel dejected if your hair doesn't feel or look perfect right away. I've found that shampoo bar usage and results only get better over time.

A little update from me: I haven't use conditioner for the past two washes (washing once a week). I still have a bottle of conditioner to use up, but I couldn't find one that fits my values (protein-free, silicone-free, vegan, cruelty-free, natural, eco-friendly/plastic-free, etc.) and works well, so I think I'm going to cut it. Before I came to LHC, I actually wasn't using conditioner with my shampoo bars, and then I slowly started incorporating it back into my routine; I found my HG, but it wasn't cruelty-free and that's now a deal breaker.

Not sure if this belongs in the shampoo bar thread, except that it's ultimately shampoo bars that lead me down this simpler journey. Right now I'm shampoo bar + ACV (soon to be switching to citric acid) and oils for slip/DTs as needed.

Sapeli
August 22nd, 2017, 08:20 AM
There's a cucumber salad someone in family makes that's thinly sliced cucumbers in a vinegar/sour cream dressing. It's so good. So weird sounding though.

So all, a question about acid rinses. I find my hair getting greasy faster aservice I keep going with the ACV rinse. I've cut back so I'm using a tsp of vinegar to my jar of water, I'm not sure how much more I can cut back, but I'm assuming that's what's making my hair greasy? Is there another acid rinse that's less likely to make my hair greasy? Is white vinegar a little different from ACV? On the plus side, my scalp is not feeling itchy like it was at first so that's a plus. Makes me feel like I'm going in the right direction.

Try to rinse only the ends not the roots. The ends need the conditioning. My experience supports your view and other ACV-users have commented the same in other forums.

katydid317
August 22nd, 2017, 11:39 AM
Thanks all! I tried lemin juice today just to try something different but next time I use ACV I will just dip the length in it instead of pouring it over my head. Otherwise this could also just be transition for me. I assumed because my first couple washes were good I was going to skip any kind of transition. One thing I like so far about the lemon juice is the smell. My shampoo bar is rosemary lavender and cedar and the lemon juice complemented that nicely and left some of the shampoo scent in my hair.

Kitt3n
August 22nd, 2017, 03:02 PM
I've been using shampoo bars for about 5-6 months and just recently got my routine fully figured out. Lol I had been trying weekly washes but my oil production was just too much so now I wash every five days and just my front part on the 3rd day because it touches my face so much and the rest with a water wash. After I just dump peppermint oil in a big glass of water over my head and rinse with cold. I had been doing a vinegar rinse with my water washes and realized it was making it oily/greasy looking but just the peppermint makes it smell really good in-between my wash day. :]

My mom has been making me shampoo bars and they work wonderfully. My hair has gotten soft especially the new hair growth that hasn't had any heat damage. I love shampoo bars, before my hair was never soft or shiny. I have new hair growth too. Peppermint shampoo bars are my favorite. I'm addicted to peppermint. Lol

Kitt3n
August 22nd, 2017, 03:10 PM
Oh yeah I had been using too much vinegar before so just one capful in an 8 oz glass and I dump that over the top. Then I put 2 capfuls in and dip my ends in and then pour it on the bottom half of my hair. Of course a few drops of peppermint oil with the vinegar rinse to make it smell yummy and it increases hair growth. :)

katydid317
August 23rd, 2017, 11:41 AM
Oh yeah I had been using too much vinegar before so just one capful in an 8 oz glass and I dump that over the top. Then I put 2 capfuls in and dip my ends in and then pour it on the bottom half of my hair. Of course a few drops of peppermint oil with the vinegar rinse to make it smell yummy and it increases hair growth. :)

I love the smell of peppermint and who doesn't want more hair growth! I'm going to have to remember to make that a permanent part of my hair washing routine.

poli
August 23rd, 2017, 10:41 PM
Giving shampoo bar another go. I still have samples left that are used as a body soap.
This time I did not use acidic rinse at all, just conditioner and rosemary tea rinse. I think it might actually work without vinegar that irritates my scalp. I'm slightly optimistic. The length feels very well conditioned and it took a little longer to dry than usual. I will try that every other wash and see how it goes.

HeartofHaleth
August 24th, 2017, 04:11 PM
HeartofHaleth, you are not in over your head! Just know that shampoo bars are different, and you may need to adjust your method a few times before you get it right. Don't feel dejected if your hair doesn't feel or look perfect right away. I've found that shampoo bar usage and results only get better over time.

Thank you for the encouragement! :blossom: My first wash was today! I started off clarifying/chelating with the celebrated Joico K Pak shampoo, then went at it with a coconut milk CV bar and an ACV rinse afterwards. My hair hasn't quite dried yet, but it feels good....except for my fussy, uncooperative ends. They feel sort of dried out and grippy and almost fragile, kind of like they did last summer when I was trying to go cone-free. (Reintroducing a limited amount of cones fixed it, but I've been cone-free out of laziness for a quite a while with no problems). I wanted to start with a clean slate, so I I used the Joico in the same wash as the bar, so no conditioner afterwards. Maybe it was too harsh? I'm going to oil it before I put it up for the night, and we'll see how things go next week.

pili
August 24th, 2017, 04:20 PM
So I recently got my second order of CV bars, and I used the Olive Babassu, my absolute favorite so far. Today, I did a WO wash because I was sick overnight and I always have to at least wet my hair after being sick, and my hair felt gunky and was sticking together. I couldn't get my fingers through it and I was scared to try a comb. So I had to use some conditioner I had left over to get it untangled. What happened?

Sarahlabyrinth
August 24th, 2017, 05:26 PM
So, on my last wash I tried Lush's Trichomania shampoo bar for the first time. I chopped a small piece off the bar and put it into my nozzled bottle with some warm water and shook it well. It didn't lather as well as ordinary shampoo, but it cleaned my hair nicely and seemed very gentle. As far as I can tell, my hair likes it. :) My question is, it was difficult to get the stuff to dissolve. Would it be better to put it into some very hot water and leave it to soak for a half hour or so? How do you use yours?

After washing, I just conditioned and did my usual vinegar rinse.

diddiedaisy
August 24th, 2017, 05:31 PM
So, on my last wash I tried Lush's Trichomania shampoo bar for the first time. I chopped a small piece off the bar and put it into my nozzled bottle with some warm water and shook it well. It didn't lather as well as ordinary shampoo, but it cleaned my hair nicely and seemed very gentle. As far as I can tell, my hair likes it. :) My question is, it was difficult to get the stuff to dissolve. Would it be better to put it into some very hot water and leave it to soak for a half hour or so? How do you use yours?

I use a natural soap based bar, but assuming lush bars are similar I just rub it in my hands until it lathers then apply the lather to my scalp. I usually do this a couple of times. I never wash my length with a soap bar though, and if I feel it needs it I just use normal shampoo. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
August 24th, 2017, 06:55 PM
I use a natural soap based bar, but assuming lush bars are similar I just rub it in my hands until it lathers then apply the lather to my scalp. I usually do this a couple of times. I never wash my length with a soap bar though, and if I feel it needs it I just use normal shampoo. :)

I can see how you would do that, it's just that I like to apply my shampoo using a bottle with nozzle, so I want the lathered soap in the bottle :)

katydid317
August 24th, 2017, 07:15 PM

I've only tried one Lush bar in the past, it was a sea salt one and very drying. But I know from looking at their ingredients most of their bars are basically just a bar form of regular liquid shampoo, detergent instead of soap. I just rubbed the bar on my head. But if you let it sit in hot water for awhile it would probably liquefy and you could keep a spray bottle ready in your bathroom. Just make a little at a time. When I had the Lush bar I used it as my at the gym shampoo so I kept it in a little lock n lock container and so it always stayed a little gummy because I never let it dry properly.

I got some bee pollen soap from a friend who sells honey and is branching into natural soaps. Is there something different about shampoo bars vs body soap? I'm thinking about using it on my hair.

I'm also very happy with switching to lemon juice rinses. My scalp is very happy, not itchy anymore. Plus I have more volume and my hair seems less resistant to holding curls/waves.

diddiedaisy
August 25th, 2017, 01:48 AM
I've only tried one Lush bar in the past, it was a sea salt one and very drying. But I know from looking at their ingredients most of their bars are basically just a bar form of regular liquid shampoo, detergent instead of soap. I just rubbed the bar on my head. But if you let it sit in hot water for awhile it would probably liquefy and you could keep a spray bottle ready in your bathroom. Just make a little at a time. When I had the Lush bar I used it as my at the gym shampoo so I kept it in a little lock n lock container and so it always stayed a little gummy because I never let it dry properly.

I got some bee pollen soap from a friend who sells honey and is branching into natural soaps. Is there something different about shampoo bars vs body soap? I'm thinking about using it on my hair.

I'm also very happy with switching to lemon juice rinses. My scalp is very happy, not itchy anymore. Plus I have more volume and my hair seems less resistant to holding curls/waves.

If it's a natural based body soap you should be fine using it on your hair. I've got an oat milk and argan oil body soap that pretty much has the same ingredients as my hair soaps, and I bought it purposely to use on my hair. The oils just come in different quantities. :)

pili
August 28th, 2017, 07:44 PM
There is definitely something going wrong with my shampoo bar routine. My hair is clumping up. I've been trying several of the troubleshooting things on this thread. The worst is my scalp, which was feeling so much better is having a horrible reaction. I may have to relegate shampoo bars to clarifying washes. I am so frustrated! Unfortunately, my hair/scalp does this...a. lot. It simply stops responding well to a routine.

diddiedaisy
August 28th, 2017, 11:02 PM
I started getting problems with my bar too. I was getting a greasy looking patch at the front I couldn't get rid of and had starting using normal shampoo more often. I seem to have solved the problem though with tresemme scalp and hair renewal conditioner. It's the only thing that seems to get rid all the bar residue.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 29th, 2017, 04:36 AM

I have worked out that I can put a small piece of shampoo bar into my nozzled bottle with water and it is all dissolved by the next day, so that's a win! :)

diddiedaisy
August 29th, 2017, 06:06 AM
I have worked out that I can put a small piece of shampoo bar into my nozzled bottle with water and it is all dissolved by the next day, so that's a win! :)

Result!!! I hope it works out for you. :)

I've just had a thought....why don't you just buy the liquid shampoo from lush? Or does it have different ingredients? Apologies if it's really stupid question. :)

Ophidian
August 29th, 2017, 02:26 PM
There is definitely something going wrong with my shampoo bar routine. My hair is clumping up. I've been trying several of the troubleshooting things on this thread. The worst is my scalp, which was feeling so much better is having a horrible reaction. I may have to relegate shampoo bars to clarifying washes. I am so frustrated! Unfortunately, my hair/scalp does this...a. lot. It simply stops responding well to a routine.

Hi pili,

I've never tried poo bars so I probably don't have the most helpful advice but I wanted to say I'm sorry you're having these problems :(. The only thing that comes immediately to mind is wondering if a clarifying wash with a detergent-based shampoo would help. Maybe it's some kind of build up? Hard water? Maybe other long term poo bar users will have more ideas. I hope you find some solutions soon.

Chromis
August 29th, 2017, 02:47 PM
I have never had clumping hair with any routine I have ever tried, so I am no use there, sorry!

diddiedaisy
August 29th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Pili, It might be that the clumping is due to waxy build up. I had build up at the front of my hair, I don't poo bar the length. I was doing the odd normal shampoo in-between to keep build up at bay. That front bit was very persistent though, and it took a fair bit of experimenting to sort out. I too tried out the usual routes and they failed.

I eventually solved the problem with tresemme scalp and hair revive conditioner. I was ready for giving up the poo bars, but this stuff shifts the residue and its gentle enough to use on the scalp without causing irritation or increased shedding. I don't rub it into my scalp, I just wipe it over the top of my head and let it sit for a minute. I then rinse, put a heavier conditioner on my length, rinse out then apply a weak vinager rinse which I leave on.

It might be worth trying a similar route, you never know it might work for you too.

Good luck :)

yamsha23
August 29th, 2017, 03:49 PM
I just washed my roots with a bar soap for the first time since I tried a Lush bar and hated it, this time it wasn't a soap particularly made for hair, but it seemed gentle and made from natural ingredients (it's a vegetable soap from Erbario Toscano that a friend gifted me, main ingredient is glycerine). All I can say for now is that my scalp is reacting well and hair is extra soft so I'm happy with it and will continue to use it and see what happens. it doesn't seem to leave build up at all.

Do we have a list of bar soaps and reviews about them? I would be very interested to know your experiences with the different brands available (even for little homemade bar soaps purchased on etsy or natural body soaps that are "clean" etc)

Sarahlabyrinth
August 29th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Result!!! I hope it works out for you. :)

I've just had a thought....why don't you just buy the liquid shampoo from lush? Or does it have different ingredients? Apologies if it's really stupid question. :)

Not a silly question :) I do have some liquid shampoo from them to try but I was curious to try a shampoo bar, too :)

diddiedaisy
August 29th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Not a silly question :) I do have some liquid shampoo from them to try but I was curious to try a shampoo bar, too :)

Oh :) They do smell nice lush products. I've never tried them but I have been known to spend 15 minutes walking around the shop, picking what feels like everything up and sniffing it. Quite often with sound effects, even when I'm on my own. ;)

Cherriezzzzz
August 29th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Oh :) They do smell nice lush products. I've never tried them but I have been known to spend 15 minutes walking around the shop, picking what feels like everything up and sniffing it. Quite often with sound effects, even when I'm on my own. ;)

I wish I had a lush store in my area! This sounds like so much fun!