PDA

View Full Version : The Shampoo Bar Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36

hayheadsbird
May 13th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Hi everyone! I'm sure this has been asked before but google isn't helping out and there are 180 pages in this thread, so I'll ask this anyway: Anyone know any good shampoo bars that are available in europe? Maybe in a native language site or something, I'm not picky at all! Lush is ffull of SLS and everything else I find is based in the US or Canada...
Any tips? Secret shops? Thank you!

If you do a quick etsy search and put shop location as a filter there's lots that come up. :) I really want to start experimenting

Heads up UK members: any recommendations for UK sourced shampoo bars? I've seen Carlas handmade Turkish bars on amazon; Living Naturally Hemp & Patchouli bars; Spirit of the Isle bars; and Cornwall Soapbox lavender and patchouli bars - among others. Anyone tried any of these?

I've not tried any of those but I have tried Funky soaps. They are based in London I think.

sumidha
May 13th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Hello all :> I am planning on switching from sulfate-free shampoo to shampoo bars when I run out of my poo. I have also just bought a Shea Moisture African Black Soap bar, it is meant for body, but I am wondering if it might work on my hair? Perhaps combined with acv rinses? It would just be a starting point before buying myself a proper shampoo bar. I am not sure of the difference between regular soap bars and soaps made to be used as shampoo, could anyone tell me this? Is it a ph balance thing? Because at one point I used Dr. bonners soap as shampoo and ended up getting a real funky smelling scalp.

According to the CV website hand soap has more oil in it than their shampoo bars: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/idascorner/soap/what-is-the-difference-between-soap-bars-and-shampoo-bars

Whirled_peas
June 7th, 2016, 10:32 PM
So this is the famous shampoo bar!

Shepherdess
June 16th, 2016, 01:22 AM
I have been doing the WCC method lately, so I am using a lot more conditioner, and the weather has also been a bit humid too, which has resulted in my scalp feeling a bit itchy now and then. Last time this happened it was due to the warm weather and too many oils on my scalp I think, so I may be in need of switching to a better shampoo of sorts. Before I try anything completely new though, I wanted to ask, do any of you know of a good bar shampoo that might help with this issue? I really love the bar shampoos, though I'm not sure that mine has been enough lately for my scalp alone. I have also been using my SheaMoister liquid shampoo again to see if that helped, but that feels more like a conditioner than an actual shampoo on my scalp I think (though I love how it makes my hair feel). So any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. :)

I also am hoping to make my own bar shampoo in the near future, so if anyone else does this and has any good recipes, I'd love to hear about those too! :)

tuulie
July 5th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I got me shampoo bar sample from henna sooq and honestly I'm not quite sure how I should use it!
I started co washing about a month ago and it's working really great for me. My hair has more or less stopped getting dirty at all. I've tried the shampoo bar a couple times and find that it's OK - it does make my hair feel oddly squeaky unless I follow up with either conditioner or a citric acid rinse.
Is the idea to use it on the whole length or scalp only? Have you noticed any 'squeakiness'?

Chromis
July 5th, 2016, 03:03 PM
I use it on both my scalp and my length and use an acidic rinse every time, otherwise yes it does feel a bit squeaky.

Decoy24601
July 11th, 2016, 08:07 PM
I just ordered my first (soap) shampoo bars from a Canadian soaper on etsy. I wanted to try ChagrinValley soaps, but their shipping to Canada is soo expensive. They'll be arriving tomorrow and tomorrow is my shampoo day, so I can't wait to try it out!

I ordered the citrus ones: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/179803426/handcrafted-artisan-shampoo-bars-cocoa?ref=shop_home_active_1 (https://www.etsy.com/ca/transaction/1164652195) I'll let you guys know how it goes.

vintagelovely
July 12th, 2016, 07:10 AM
I've just ordered a couple of shampoo bars off FunkySoapLondon on etsy that should be arriving this week. One for me, and one as a present for a friend (because I'm caring like that :P)

Excited to try it out! My scalp is still suffering and everything I currently use just makes it sore and dry, and the shampoo bar I've ordered has oatmilk and argan oil in, so I'm hoping that'll be a bit more soothing.

Decoy24601
July 12th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Well, my shampoo bars came in the mail today! I love them. They get my hair just as clean as my SLS shampoo without completely stripping my hair. The hair around my roots doesn't look nearly as dull as when I use a SLS heavy shampoo. I'll still probably use that shampoo a couple times a month to remove buildup, but I think it's safe to say that I'm hooked on actual soap shampoo bars. The one I bought smells great too and the scent lingers on my hair, but isn't too strong.

spirals
July 12th, 2016, 09:57 PM
For a couple of months I've been using a bar not meant for hair: Yes to Tomatoes soap for troubled skin. Finicky scalp loves it and hair doesn't mind it at all. The soap plus conditioner means soft spirally hair.

morrigan*
July 13th, 2016, 03:20 AM
I tried soap bars again. I make them myself. When i tried them a month ago i shed quiet a lot. But this time it's normal amount, even with shampooing twice. I think culprit was shea butter in bars. I make them without now and i think my hair likes them better. We'll se how it goes in long run.

Silverbleed
July 13th, 2016, 09:05 AM
It's hilarious, I kind of wished I'd go through my bars much quicker; I love trying new bars once in a while. But even the trials take months before I finish them bwaha.

Decoy24601
July 14th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Has anyone else thought about mostly stopping the use of conditioner while using shampoo bars? I love my shampoo bar and it cleans my scalp well and I think it's probably highly superfatted soap, because it does deposit just a little bit of oils on my hair, which is nice, but I find that the combination with my usual conditioner ends up leaving me with buildup a lot sooner. I use a heavy conditioner, but it only has amodimethicone and I don't normally have issues with buildup from that. I also use flaxseed gel (film-forming humectant and helps with detangling long-term) on my hair with a little bit of conditioner, which seems to be doing way more than a normal conditioner. Since switching to shampoo bars CWC is waaaay too heavy on my hair and I've actually started using my conditioner before using the shampoo bar and on soaking wet hair.

I might just stop using plain conditioner by itself and dilute it in something, like my flaxseed gel, and use something like NightBlooming's selkie herbal detangler for slip.

Chromis
July 15th, 2016, 05:19 AM
I don't use conditioner with shampoo bars, just an acidic rinse. If you have a moment, read through the thread someday with a couple pots of tea (might take a few sessions haha), and you will see there are plenty who do and plenty who don't.

Decoy24601
July 15th, 2016, 07:10 PM
I don't use conditioner with shampoo bars, just an acidic rinse. If you have a moment, read through the thread someday with a couple pots of tea (might take a few sessions haha), and you will see there are plenty who do and plenty who don't.

Thank you, and yeah, that's what I've noticed from browsing a few pages.

Oh, ever since I've started mainly using my shampoo bar, my eczema on my scalp and body is gone! I still use a gentler SLS shampoo (it's fairly watery) once a week or so, which my skin seems to tolerate. My hair is also sooooo much softer, but I've also started using flaxseed gel and other film-forming humectants as a leave-in rather than my butters.

truepeacenik
July 16th, 2016, 09:58 AM
It's hilarious, I kind of wished I'd go through my bars much quicker; I love trying new bars once in a while. But even the trials take months before I finish them bwaha.

When I buy bars, I always cut them into travel sizes, about an inch square. That allows me to use bars in cycles. I keep them in a labeled paper bag.
I also allow myself two in the shower.
Since I have about the same results with soap from a maker at the farmers market (see Pamela's Soap online), I can have two body soaps and two used for hair at any time.

Silverbleed
July 17th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Yeah I also cut my soaps, however right now I've got quite a collection while they also have limited shelf life... So I'm not going to buy any new ones until I am through these but it is really tempting. I love the different smells and results.
Currently I have three in my shower.

Decoy24601
July 19th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Turns out, I won't be able to use these shampoo bars much anymore. They have a fair amount of silk peptide powder, and my hair isn't handling protein every other day very well. It's been feeling very rough, stiff, and extra tangled lately. I want to try out CV bars, but the shipping is incredibly expensive to Canada ($45 for an $80 order), so if I do decide to try them out, I'm going to have to order quite a bit at once to make the shipping worth it.

reilly0167
July 22nd, 2016, 06:55 PM
I just bought a few samples of the chagrin valley, I got the henna auburn, herb garden, coconut milk, butter bar and chamomile and citrus. Cant wait for them to get here and try them:)

Silverbleed
July 23rd, 2016, 12:24 PM
I just bought a few samples of the chagrin valley, I got the henna auburn, herb garden, coconut milk, butter bar and chamomile and citrus. Cant wait for them to get here and try them:)

Henna (strawberry) and the Butter Bar are my favorite c: It's the only two I've got a big piece of.

reilly0167
July 23rd, 2016, 09:44 PM
I was so tempted to buy full bars, but held back, teehee

reilly0167
July 27th, 2016, 06:57 PM
My chagrin valley samples came in today!!!! Yea!!! Now I have a question. Acv rinse, I see it mentioned a bunch here and I would like to know how you make the rinse, how much water and vinegar? Also can anyone recommend a natural conditioner, one with nice slip or website, this will be my first time doing this. I figure if I'm gonna try the natural route I wanna go all the way, doesn't make sense to me, to use a natural poo bar and end up using a commercial conditioner. Thanks a bunches.

pailin
July 27th, 2016, 08:58 PM
My chagrin valley samples came in today!!!! Yea!!! Now I have a question. Acv rinse, I see it mentioned a bunch here and I would like to know how you make the rinse, how much water and vinegar? Also can anyone recommend a natural conditioner, one with nice slip or website, this will be my first time doing this. I figure if I'm gonna try the natural route I wanna go all the way, doesn't make sense to me, to use a natural poo bar and end up using a commercial conditioner. Thanks a bunches.

I'm still very much a noob with this, but people seem to use varying concentrations of vinegar- anywhere from a tablespoon or so to a couple ounces. I think it depends on how hard your water is, so you'll have to experiment a little.

Silverbleed
July 28th, 2016, 04:20 AM
I've understood it depends on your water and your hair. The harder your water, the more ACV you'll need. I use about 1 part acv 20 parts of water myself. Those with harder water have more success with 1/10 or 1/7. But you shouldn't use too much, so you could try starting low and increase the amount if you think it doesn't do enough.

Chromis
July 28th, 2016, 05:16 AM
I agree on the ACV. It will entirely depend on your water. Not enough and your hair will feel tacky or coated, too much and it will be lank. Just right is pretty awesome though and makes the experimenting very worthwhile for me. There are people on this thread who have soft enough water to not use a rinse or who only use conditioner. I do not use conditioner with shampoo bars, just the acidic rinse. In very hard water, I prefer a mix of ACV and citric acid, but if you search through my posts on this thread I have written that out in more detail than I have time for this morning :flower:

reilly0167
July 28th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Ok sounds good to me, I'll start low then increase until just right.

Kimberly
July 28th, 2016, 12:12 PM
My water is very hard, and I use a varying amount of ACV in my mix depending on how my hair feels. I dump a splash of ACV in the bottom of the cup (one to three tablespoons, close enough, and less when I am getting near to running out). The cup holds 20 ounces, and in the shower I fill it with water until it starts to overflow. If it feels dry and rough and tangly before I wash it I will let the cup overflow less. Essentially, the better it is behaving, the weaker I make the rinse. I don't bother to bring ACV when I travel, because the water is never as hard elsewhere and I can get away with a couple of washes without the ACV if necessary. But if I skip it for too long while using the hard water at home, it gets very dry and stiff and white mineral powder will snow from my hair when brushed. Ew. Really a great way to clog up a BBB, too.

I do not leave in the ACV -- I rinse thoroughly and get it all out, and follow with a cold rinse (how cold depends on the weather and how I feel about it that day). It doesn't smell afterwards if I use a real live-culture ACV (with the mother). I never use white vinegar, because I can never rinse out the smell, and also sometimes white vinegar isn't just vinegar and has been doctored with citric acid to make it tart (and I am allergic to citric acid).

I dip my hair into the cup (in one handful from either side of my head, allowing me to get almost all the length in there and soaked), then carefully pour the rest, starting from the scalp and down, to make sure everything is saturated, then I immediately rinse it well.

I would suggest starting with a small amount of ACV and see how that goes. You can always use more next time.

I don't use conditioner. Sometimes I put a tiny bit of Panacea or coconut oil on the ends, usually as a pre wash when my hair is dry and unhappy (such as after a recent unhappy encounter with sunblock). But other than that, all it gets is CV Honey, Beer & Egg, ACV, and the occasional pretreatment on the ends.

The hair's condition seems to matter, at least for me. My hair's condition has improved over the years, since learning to wear it up and spare it the torment of the purse strap, etc. Less damage seems to mean I can use less ACV and rarely even feel like the ends need anything. There just isn't as much going on to try to correct.

Because of this, and all the other factors involved, your results could be very different. All you can really do is experiment. But once you get your routine worked out, you won't have to think about it much anymore.

Calypso
July 29th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Hi everyone! I'm totally new to shampoo bars, but just bought my first one from Living Naturally Soap on etsy. Anyone else used their products? I've read a few posts here but I'm afraid I haven't had time to read through anything, so may I ask for some advice? How do you use yours, just wet them and slide them through your hair? Also, how to keep them dry between washings? I can't wait to try it!

Silverbleed
July 29th, 2016, 01:05 PM
No experience with that type of bar. But with any shampoo bar - but also liquid shampoo's - I mostly rub in between my hands until it lathers, then I put the lathered part on my hair. I don't put the bar itself in my hair, I've done it tweice but I've found it leaves way too much behind on my hair while it cleans good enough in both ways. So I rub, apply to front of my scalp, rub, apply to the top, rub apply to the bottom, rub apply to temples/behind my ears. That's basically how I like to do it.

reilly0167
July 29th, 2016, 10:09 PM
sweetkandi, I'm responding to your post, but also to everyone in the thread who posted that they're having problems with shampoo bars.

First, sometimes the problem is finding the "right" shampoo bar. Though my hair now does "ok" with most poo bars, it really seems to like PLH best.

Often, it's just a matter of patience -- waiting out the waxy, weird hair. Eventually, time might win out over waxies.

Calista is right on the money with this advice.

Another thing to consider is method... There's more than one way to use a poo bar. Many people shampoo two or three times with the poo bar, then follow with an acid rinse (vinegar, lemon, citric acid, etc.), which they either leave in or rinse out. Let's call this method WV.

Some people use a conditioner, before the poo bar and acid rinse (CWV).

Another option: Apply the conditioner between the poo bar and the acid rinse (WCV).

Yet another: Apply the conditioner last (WVC).

Don't like any of those options? Apply a leave-in after you follow the usual WV routine.

And, last but not least, you can try mixing a little vinegar into your conditioner. That's one of my favorite, time-saving "recipes."

HTH

You add straight vinegar to the conditioner? Or dilute some?

Calypso
August 1st, 2016, 03:52 AM
Thank you, Silverbleed! And what's the best way to store them? I don't want mine to turn to mush after a couple of washes. :(

pailin
August 1st, 2016, 06:39 AM
I don't know about others, but I like to keep mine in an open soap dish with slots so it drains and can dry in between showers, and I keep it where the water can't hit it directly. When I travel and have to share a bathroom, I like to keep my handmade soaps outside of the shower when I'm not showering, to make sure my roommate doesn't soak it, or use it up. Basically make sure it's only getting wet when you're using it, and that it gets to dry out in between.

Decoy24601
August 1st, 2016, 01:41 PM
I pat mine with a paper towel and store it in an aluminum tin it came with (lid off) while it dries, out of the shower.

reilly0167
August 1st, 2016, 02:49 PM
Today I washed my hair with the CV butter bar, sunday is wash day for me but I wasn't feeling too well. I was nervous, so I got everything ready, comb out my hair to remove tangles ( comb it back) got my spray bottle of diluted apple cider vinegar ( with the mother). Wet my hair thoroughly, grabbed the bar and started to make lather,I know I have hard water but I was persistant; no avail, the I ran the bar, front to back, it helped a bit, worked it as much I can then rinsed , rinsed, rinsed. Then the dreaded waxy coated feeling came, ugh! Getting kinda panicky, I quickly reached for the acv pray bottle, god that stuff stinks! I sprayed sprayed sprayed being careful not to ruffle my hair, worked it in and I can feel it relax, softening up, bringing sigh of relief, let it sit for a few minutes, which felt like forever then rinsed followed with nature gate conditioner. Didn't care for it so I gave it to my daughter, she likes it, no money wasted.. My hair is dry now, it's soft and lovely and such real shine, I guess the acv really does help with the buildup and give shine.
My verdict on the CV butter bar: two thumbs up:thumbsup::thumbsup: hair is soft and lovely
ACV rinse: does what it does, but I hate the smell and its a messy process, but its my first time using it just have to get used to it.
So far for me, I like the butter bar, I have other samples to try, and if any of these don't pass, then I just use them as a bath bar.

indigonight
August 1st, 2016, 03:48 PM
Anyone using hennasooq's shampoo bars? I am moving and just discovered one I bought a month or so ago and had completely forgotten about!
It is the cocoveda one. I have never used them before.

Silverbleed
August 1st, 2016, 07:13 PM
Thank you, Silverbleed! And what's the best way to store them? I don't want mine to turn to mush after a couple of washes. :(

I store my unused bars in a small well-closed box in another room. I also keep them in their paper bags within the box.

The ones I used are small slices, so not too large and I go through them usually in a few weeks. Depending on the type of soap faster. Those I have in a soap dish high up in my shower. I think if water goes over it while showering it goes up faster.
I usually bring a small unused slice in a small container with me when I travel. I keep the container open after I used it until it's dry.

samanthaa
August 9th, 2016, 08:36 AM
August is my two year anniversary with shampoo bars!

Recently, over the past few months, I've had thoughts of returning to commercial liquid shampoo. I first noticed canopy breakage six months ago and because I didn't--and still don't--know the source, I attributed it to the bars (I think I was just using a terrible conditioner; it didn't detangle my hair at all, and combing post-shower was a nightmare). But then I started to worry about the alkalinity of the bars; meanwhile, I'd stopped using acidic rinses completely (I used ACV rinses steadily for probably a year but hated the smell, even with EOs) in favor of conditioner, which helped with the stringiness of my fine, thin hair (prior to this, I was barely using any conditioner at all, opting instead for ACV rinses). What prevented me from ever returning to liquid shampoo was the chemicals; I'm in love with CV's ingredients and their transparency in the way they run their business.

Recently I started to have some scalp issues (still trying to pinpoint the exact source) so I took to a citric acid rinse after a good washing with my shampoo bar and all weekend my hair looked so shiny and felt so soft, yet so volumized! I'm in love with my shampoo bars and my acidic rinses again! I'm going to go back to incorporating a rinse after each wash with a bar, and continuing with conditioner (I think I've also found my Holy Grail protein-free, cone-free conditioner, so my routine right now is just on point).

I'm currently using the Butter Bar Conditioner bar. There's honestly not a huge difference between bars for my hair (I may have to try one of the henna ones again, though--this was my very first bar and I remember being unable to get it to lather well, but that may have just been the early learning curve). I shampoo once per week (I may be increasing this depending on the source of my scalp issues) and my hair gets squeaky clean with just one thorough shampooing (no repeating), and I'm currently not clarifying at all. Gosh, I can't believe I ever thought about giving these up; I'm one of the lucky ones who's never had any problems adjusting to bar shampoo from liquid shampoo.

This was a long post all to say: I've fallen back in love with my bars after a period of ambivalence!

Silverbleed
August 9th, 2016, 01:04 PM
That's good news! Nothing greater than finding (or re-inventing) your holy grail! I've also been having second thoughts about my shampoo bar a month or two ago. But in reality it was just the stress that was causing my hair issues. My hair has been better than ever, even old pictures prove it. There's no way it could be the bar. I also stopped shedding and my hair looks much better again so I really think it was nothing but stress and possibly medication. I would never go back to traditional shampoo however. I've tried the traditional liquid body soap last week because I had nothing else with me on vacation. But my god it almost gave my a rash! Dry flaky skin everywhere, and it's still not gone. I must be really allergic to one of the ingredients. Still don't know which, but I don't mind avoiding it as a whole xD

Yeah the Butter Bar also doesn't lather as well for me, it takes a bit more time compared to others. But it cleans much better in my opinion. The rest don't do as well behind my ears.

I'm currently trying to switch between the bar and co washing once in a while. But I'm going to keep a close eye on shedding, I really fear I will shed much more than usual and I'd like to avoid that. My first try was a success however. So I'll see how it goes.

samanthaa
August 9th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Yeah the Butter Bar also doesn't lather as well for me, it takes a bit more time compared to others. But it cleans much better in my opinion. The rest don't do as well behind my ears.

Oh, my comment was actually about the henna bars! The Butter Bar lathers just fine for me! In fact, I was rather impressed with the lather when I tried it again this past weekend! And I used to get the greasies behind my ears before I switched up my "sudsing method" back when I was worried the bars were causing canopy breakage: I now slide my fingers up beneath my hair from below and lather with the pads of my fingers directly on my scalp, rather than on top of the hair (which does indeed cause my hair to tangle like crazy). I went from needing to "lather and repeat" with the bar to just needing to do it once this way too. Since your slipping your hands up underneath behind the ears, you also get more direct access to that more problematic area :P

I also co- or water-wash when my hair needs it and it's not yet wash day. It's been successful for me, although in a recent turn of events, similar to you with your liquid body soap fiasco, I'm currently wondering if I'm having a reaction to an ingredient in a new conditioner I bought. So I need to stick with more natural conditioners for the time being.

Silverbleed
August 10th, 2016, 04:35 AM
Really? That's interesting! The henna bar lathers really well for me, almost too well. It almost melts xD That's interesting. Maybe they changed their fomula's, that's possible.

Getting that allergic reaction is really annoying. I'm glad the only two conditioners I own do not cause this, because they're great for my hair.

Fru fru
August 12th, 2016, 04:15 AM
I just washed my hair with a shampoo bar for the first time. It's not dry yet but the ends are a bit tangly and feel a bit on the dry side. I did the acv rinse but I'm wondering wether I should use conditioner as well. Does anyone here do that?

Also I wondered where people in the UK are buying their cv shampoo bars from, I looked at ordering some samples but for $15 worth of samples the shipping was $30 :bigeyes:

Chromis
August 12th, 2016, 04:50 AM
There are people who do both. I dip my ends/length into the acidic rinse and then pour it over. If I don't dip, I get velcro ends too.

Silverbleed
August 12th, 2016, 04:51 AM
I buy mine from a store in my country, who buys them in bulk. It's still affordable with 11 euro for a big block, so that's nice. If I had to ship to the Netherlands, it'd cost me 60 bucks. So I'm really really grateful for that store. If the store ever goes away, I'll be quite upset. I don't want to think about it lol.

Edit; yeah I also dip then pour it over. Gives me the best results.

Fru fru
August 12th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the replies silverbleed and Chromis. I have conditioned it now and it feels much better so far.

Silverbleed is the shop you order from called Louland? They ship to the UK and I just ordered 6 trial bars and shipping was under €10 :) Thanks for telling me about it :flower:

Silverbleed
August 12th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Yes it's Louland! :D Oh that's wonderful, I'm so happy they also ship to the UK!

Fru fru
August 12th, 2016, 06:35 AM
I'm so happy also! I think I need to try different bars to see what suits my hair best. I ordered samples of:
Butter Bar, Honey Beer, Henna Chestnut, Olive & Babassu, Honey Beer Egg and Babassu & Marsh Mallow hopefully my hair will like these. I googled chagrin valley shampoo bar and Netherlands and it came right up, Thanks again!

My hair feels like it's been hennaed, the shampoo bar I used was this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Walnut-Hull-Shampoo-Hair/dp/B00D1T755A/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=AVXBMMWEI3R4X, it's not dry yet but definitely has more texture.

Fru fru
August 12th, 2016, 02:28 PM
I ended up washing my hair with desert essence shampoo and conditioner because my hair was just too tacky and rough. I can still feel some of the tackiness now even after washing. I really want to get on with these and I think the trouble is that I live in a very hard water area and I need to get the acv rinse right. Do the acv washes damage hair at all?

Silverbleed
August 13th, 2016, 12:32 PM
I have the Henna strawberry, because of my light hair color. I really love how it loosens up my curls and makes it more manageable. It's really nice when I'm having some trouble during rainy weather.
I've also had Olive & Babassu, Honey Beer Egg and Butter Bar myself. I haven't tried Marshmallow.

I don't think acv damages unless it's too strong. I've understood it starts damage if you go past 1 part acv 4 parts water but don't trust me on that as I never tested the pH. I've understood the pH of 4 to 6 is the safest way to go, so as long as you're within the range of that you're probably fine.
I use 1 acv and 10 parts of water or less acv myself. Usually within that range. I rather rinse two or three times instead of one time too strong xD

Fru fru
August 13th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Thanks Silverbleed. My daughter used it and it turned out well, she said I probably didn't lather it enough.

The louland store sent me some helpful tips and vinegar to water ratio guide and as I got something horrible in my hair today I had to wash it again so I used my shampoo bar. I lathered up, rinsed, lathered and rinsed again, then I put conditioner on my lengths and did a final acv rinse of 80ml vinegar to 400ml of water, I dipped my hair in the jug as suggested by Chromis and then tipped it all over. It feels a lot better this time and doesn't feel coated, it's not quite dry yet. My scalp feels really nice and clean.

I'm so pleased it seems to be working for me and I can't wait to get my CV samples!

Silverbleed
August 13th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Yeah these methods seem to work best for me too. Dipping is something I've been doing recently and my hair seems to love it. It's sooooo shiny! I'm really happy I found these products. I feel so stupid for never knowing about using solid products, I've grown up with liquid.

leilan
August 13th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Has anyone noticed that using shampoo bars makes their hair wavier/curlier? My hair goes from 1b/c to 2b if I use a shampoo bar. My google search hasn't turned up anyone else who has had this happen. I would love to understand why. Perhaps it is just the lack of conditioner weighing it down?

Silverbleed
August 15th, 2016, 01:47 AM
It depends on the ingredients for me. I've noticed when it's mainly coconut products, my hair becomes very curly, like my avatar picture. However with olive oil or henna, it becomes much more loose instead [like this (http://i.imgur.com/kVntohs.jpg)]. Based on weather or what effect I'd like I pick a different bar. It always gives the same results, so I'm pretty sure it's the differences in the bar. Maybe because of products that are more 'heavy'? I'm not sure.

So yeah, I experience this as well!

Fru fru
August 15th, 2016, 04:43 AM
My cv samples are here already! I cant believe how quickly they got here especially as I chose economy shipping.

Now I just have to choose which one to try first :hmm:

Silverbleed
August 15th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Wow, that's quick. For us it's also the next morning, but that's often expected within the same country (altho I don't mind waiting for shipping).

Fru fru
August 15th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Yes, I was expecting to have to wait a week. I'm planning on having a go at making my own shampoo bars, I made a basic soap this evening for the first time, dealing with lye was a bit scary though so I need to pluck up my courage before I do another batch:stirpot:

pailin
August 16th, 2016, 12:45 AM
So I mentioned in another thread that maybe out of curiosity I would try the 100% coconut oil recipe, just to see what happens (I think it's better to bump this thread than that one).

I was sort of ok starting off with the bars I made first for a shampoo bar, but my hair was tending to be either crunchy at the ends if I used no conditioner... or lank and greasy if I did use it. I never got to the point that I'd be really happy wearing it down, although I did anyway a few times. And I found I was getting crazy buildup that made it harder and harder to detangle my hair (one side benefit though- my braid shred went WAY down!). I assumed it was soap scum and I needed a stronger acid rinse or maybe just needed to rinse longer, so I increased the citric acid quite a bit, and I rinsed forever with water, and I still had trouble. Finally I wondered if either 1) one of the oils in the bar was a problem, or 2) maybe it was too conditioning, and I needed to make a higher cleansing bar.

So it seemed like a great time to experiment and try the 100% coconut oil, at 12%sf. It hardened in the mold pretty quickly so I took it out and cut it after only 6 or 8 hours. Then tried it for the first time only 24 hours after that... (yes, I know that's way soon for a cp bar). The first time I washed my hair, it was an improvement over the previous one, but not great yet. So last night I rinsed with a much weaker citric acid rinse, ditched the conditioner entirely, put no leave ins in my hair.... and it was pretty good this morning, the best my hair has been yet on any soap bars. If it would stay like this every time, it would be perfect, but now I need to give it some time and see.

Silverbleed
August 21st, 2016, 09:37 AM
I'm starting to think my hair doesn't like conditioner at all. I have noticed every time I used conditioner, my hair turns into a stringy looking-wet-while-dry mess. It seems to dry out much faster as well. The type of conditioner also doesn't seem to matter, I've got this with either silicone, silicone free, cheap or expensive conditioner. I'm going to try and see how my hair reacts to conditioner-free as I haven't tried this yet.

sumidha
August 21st, 2016, 10:10 AM
Pailin I'm not sure if you're using a shampoo bar recipe specifically or a normal soap recipe, but for what it's worth, CV says that their shampoo bars are less moisturizing than their soap bars. Not sure if that translates to less oils used, or less moisturizing oils, but I thought it might be food for thought as you continue to experiment with making your bars. :)

pailin
August 21st, 2016, 10:27 AM
I'm starting to think my hair doesn't like conditioner at all. I have noticed every time I used conditioner, my hair turns into a stringy looking-wet-while-dry mess. It seems to dry out much faster as well. The type of conditioner also doesn't seem to matter, I've got this with either silicone, silicone free, cheap or expensive conditioner. I'm going to try and see how my hair reacts to conditioner-free as I haven't tried this yet.

I'm finding the same thing, actually. 2 days ago I tried conditioner again because my ends were weird,and it just ended up stringy and clumpy. So then for my next wash I tried increasing my citric acid concentration for my rinse instead, and that took care of it (it also cleared up my scalp which had been beginning to itch). So I think I really don't need the conditioner, I just need to get acid rinse right. But I am using a few drops of silicone serum leave in, just on my ends.

pailin
August 21st, 2016, 10:33 AM
Pailin I'm not sure if you're using a shampoo bar recipe specifically or a normal soap recipe, but for what it's worth, CV says that their shampoo bars are less moisturizing than their soap bars. Not sure if that translates to less oils used, or less moisturizing oils, but I thought it might be food for thought as you continue to experiment with making your bars. :)

Thanks, Sumidha- yes, I am making a less-moisturizing bar than the bath/body formulas. My first couple experiments, I used a low superfat, only 3%, but I chose more conditioning /less cleansing oils. Then with the 100% coconut oil bar- there's a 20% superfat version all over the internet - I went with a lower superfat, 12%. Which still seems like an awful lot of oil to stick in my hair, but my hair is doing great. I had to tinker with my acid rinse, but now my hair is coming out really perfect!

Silverbleed
August 21st, 2016, 11:04 AM
I'm finding the same thing, actually. 2 days ago I tried conditioner again because my ends were weird,and it just ended up stringy and clumpy. So then for my next wash I tried increasing my citric acid concentration for my rinse instead, and that took care of it (it also cleared up my scalp which had been beginning to itch). So I think I really don't need the conditioner, I just need to get acid rinse right. But I am using a few drops of silicone serum leave in, just on my ends.

I have't tried silicone serums in ages. I'm also scared to try it again as the one I've got contains (which has good ingredients except for) dimethicone. Since the shampoo bar is unable to wash it out, I need to use something else. But I feel very uncomfortable using sulfates as it really dries my hair and possibly causes breakage or more hair loss. I find it difficult to find products where I live with the mild type of detergents. Ugh I wish it was easier to get out those silicone, I would use it much more often.

sumidha
August 21st, 2016, 11:10 AM
That's great pailin, I'm taking notes for when I eventually get around to making soap/shampoo bars!

pailin
August 21st, 2016, 11:13 AM
I have't tried silicone serums in ages. I'm also scared to try it again as the one I've got contains (which has good ingredients except for) dimethicone. Since the shampoo bar is unable to wash it out, I need to use something else. But I feel very uncomfortable using sulfates as it really dries my hair and possibly causes breakage or more hair loss. I find it difficult to find products where I live with the mild type of detergents. Ugh I wish it was easier to get out those silicone, I would use it much more often.

Actually, I gave up my silicones when decided to try shampoo bars, but I added them back anyway, and I think my shampoo bar does get them out. But I do lather the ends too. YMMV, I guess. I'm using Loreal extraordinary oil - there are a bunch of cones in the ingredients so I count it as a silicone serum.
I'm finding if I get everything just right, it's fairly easy to finger-detangle, too.

pailin
August 21st, 2016, 11:16 AM
That's great pailin, I'm taking notes for when I eventually get around to making soap/shampoo bars!

Great! You should do it! Of course I now have about four batches of soap lying around here to use up.

Silverbleed
August 21st, 2016, 12:59 PM
Actually, I gave up my silicones when decided to try shampoo bars, but I added them back anyway, and I think my shampoo bar does get them out. But I do lather the ends too. YMMV, I guess. I'm using Loreal extraordinary oil - there are a bunch of cones in the ingredients so I count it as a silicone serum.
I'm finding if I get everything just right, it's fairly easy to finger-detangle, too.

Lmao I happen to have Loreal's bottle as well xD I bought it before I started using shampoo bars, and before I knew about sulfates, silicone and all that. So I decided to put it away for a while until I finally understood everything about my hair and those products. I know the xane cones are fine, they dissolve after a few hours. The dimethicone is the only one I worry about, I don't know if it dries out my hair after a while. I'm going to try it however, but after I figured out how my hair reacts to no-conditioner.

Also curious, how much of the serum do you use for your hair? (Also how long is your hair?) and how much of your hair do you cover with it?

Chromis
August 21st, 2016, 01:57 PM
I have much better luck not using conditioner with the shampoo bars as well. The only time I use conditioner is to wash out henna/cassia/etc which I don't do that often.

pailin
August 21st, 2016, 10:20 PM
Silverbleed, my hair is at hip, and my pony circumference is 3.5 inches. I was using about 6 drops before with s&c (sometimes more....),​ but I've been using about 4 now. Just in the ends really. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting to know my hair all over again.

And not using conditioner is really strange, because my hair has always had a really heavy duty conditioner habit!

I have a question for the longer term shampoo bar users, especially those who make their own. I'm going back to the US in a month or so, and will be there for several months. So, winter! Living here (Thailand) I'm on perpetual summer haircare routine. But in winter my hair gets dry and staticky. And I need to plan ahead now, since I'm not taking my soap making equipment to my parents- I'm just bringing a supply with me. But I have zero experience of shampoo bars and winter.
So, how do you winterize your haircare? Do you change shampoo bars, ie make them less cleansing? Add conditioner? (I'm not sure my hair will tolerate it) Or add more pre-poo treatments/ leave-ins, oils?

Spinder
August 21st, 2016, 11:25 PM
Psst... do any fellow Canadians know of any shampooing/conditioning bars, available in Canada, that may work well for a longhaired girl who finds herself working in the middle of the vast upland taiga/boreal forests of the North for an extended period of time?

Decoy24601
August 22nd, 2016, 12:10 AM
Psst... do any fellow Canadians know of any shampooing/conditioning bars, available in Canada, that may work well for a longhaired girl who finds herself working in the middle of the vast upland taiga/boreal forests of the North for an extended period of time?

Pssst... I've ordered a couple shampoo bars from this seller and they are great quality :) https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/179803426/handcrafted-artisan-shampoo-bars-cocoa?ref=shop_home_active_1

Silverbleed
August 22nd, 2016, 02:29 AM
Silverbleed, my hair is at hip, and my pony circumference is 3.5 inches. I was using about 6 drops before with s&c (sometimes more....),​ but I've been using about 4 now. Just in the ends really. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting to know my hair all over again.

And not using conditioner is really strange, because my hair has always had a really heavy duty conditioner habit!

I have a question for the longer term shampoo bar users, especially those who make their own. I'm going back to the US in a month or so, and will be there for several months. So, winter! Living here (Thailand) I'm on perpetual summer haircare routine. But in winter my hair gets dry and staticky. And I need to plan ahead now, since I'm not taking my soap making equipment to my parents- I'm just bringing a supply with me. But I have zero experience of shampoo bars and winter.
So, how do you winterize your haircare? Do you change shampoo bars, ie make them less cleansing? Add conditioner? (I'm not sure my hair will tolerate it) Or add more pre-poo treatments/ leave-ins, oils?

Thanks! I'll need much less then, maybe one or two drops as my hair is only just APL. I've just washed my hair without conditioner now. It actually feels thicker, which is really weird.

Because I'm trying to go without conditioner now, I cannot tell if my winter routine was any good. I didn't use any conditioner until February, but my perception of my hair was very mixed because I did like how it felt but my hair was much thinner than it is now. And it was also shorter and I hated the length and layers. So I'm not sure. I do think oil isn't a very good idea if you're going out in the freezing wind, I mean it's probably the same like going out in the sun and burning your hair away, except now you'd be freezing and breaking it D:
I'm probably not going to change too much to my routine. I'll probably tie it up more often in a protective style though.

Chromis
August 22nd, 2016, 06:01 AM

I don't change bars or add conditioner. I do use a bit more and heavier oil in the winter though and if it is cold, I wear a warm woolly hat!

pailin
August 22nd, 2016, 07:45 AM
Thanks! I'll need much less then, maybe one or two drops as my hair is only just APL. I've just washed my hair without conditioner now. It actually feels thicker, which is really weird.

Because I'm trying to go without conditioner now, I cannot tell if my winter routine was any good. I didn't use any conditioner until February, but my perception of my hair was very mixed because I did like how it felt but my hair was much thinner than it is now. And it was also shorter and I hated the length and layers. So I'm not sure. I do think oil isn't a very good idea if you're going out in the freezing wind, I mean it's probably the same like going out in the sun and burning your hair away, except now you'd be freezing and breaking it D:
I'm probably not going to change too much to my routine. I'll probably tie it up more often in a protective style though.

Well, I hope I'm not giving you a bum steer with the silicones. But I do think we tend to have a lot of rules about what you can and can't do, and sometimes they turn out not to be so hard and fast after all.
Funny how your hair feels thicker (and I think I've seen similar comments from others); mine only feels thicker when my rinse isn't strong enough and I'm getting buildup. When I get it right, my hair feels slippy and floaty! Maybe I'm just weird?

I don't change bars or add conditioner. I do use a bit more and heavier oil in the winter though and if it is cold, I wear a warm woolly hat!

Thanks - I guess I need to mostly concentrate on getting the soap recipe right, here and now. And I can always raid my mom's kitchen for oils :)

queenb33
August 22nd, 2016, 07:04 PM
Hi all, I'm pretty new here, so, I'm sorry if this question has already been asked.

I'm wanting to switch to shampoo bars, I bought a few samplers from CV which arrived a couple days ago. I usually do a castor/jojoba oil treatment and scalp massage a couple of times a week before washing which comes out fine with regular shampoo. After washing twice with the shampoo bar today, my hair still feels oily/waxy in places. Is this just the adjustment to the bar, or does the bar not have enough cleansing power to get that oil out? Any one else with fine hair have success with shampoo bars and oil treatments? Thanks :)

pailin
August 22nd, 2016, 08:22 PM
Hi all, I'm pretty new here, so, I'm sorry if this question has already been asked.

I'm wanting to switch to shampoo bars, I bought a few samplers from CV which arrived a couple days ago. I usually do a castor/jojoba oil treatment and scalp massage a couple of times a week before washing which comes out fine with regular shampoo. After washing twice with the shampoo bar today, my hair still feels oily/waxy in places. Is this just the adjustment to the bar, or does the bar not have enough cleansing power to get that oil out? Any one else with fine hair have success with shampoo bars and oil treatments? Thanks :)

Did you rinse with a vinegar or citric acid solution? It's possible the bar isn't getting all the oil out, but natural soap gets oil off hands, so it should get it out of your hair. You may need to suds up twice- some people seem to do better that way. Also, did you lather in your hands or rub the bar on your head? You can do either but some people tend to have more trouble with waxy feeling if they rub it in their head. For me, I've found that the soap bars that I tried that didn't work for me gave me a waxy, buildup-y feel, but for the ones that worked well, the waxy feel usually means that I wasn't using a strong enough acidic rinse (trying too hard to use the minimum). If you're using bars that are sold as shampoo bars, I would guess that's the more likely problem.
Also, you may need to rinse more. Basically, you nay have to experiment a lot with technique before you find what works, and I suspect some of the notorious adjustment period is really just that.

Chromis
August 22nd, 2016, 09:02 PM

I largely agree with Pailin! I didn't have much by way of an adjustment period, although I have needed to tweak my method now and then.

I personally have the best luck "petting" the bar directly down my length and on my scalp, lifting the nape and sides above the ear just a tiny bit to get under them. Then I lather my scalp with fingertips and gently lather my length between my open palms. With super hard water I needed to lather the length twice and scalp thrice, now I can do just twice with the water softener. An acidic rinse is an absolute must for me! If it doesn't lather much or at all the first time, give it another go. Even with hard water, they would lather by the third pass and that was my cue that I'd gotten the oils out.

It's a long thread, but there are a ton of helpful tips if you read through it! :cookie:

pailin
August 22nd, 2016, 10:36 PM
Ok, I have an acidic rinse question: I've seen a fair number of warnings that you can damage your hair if it's too strong, but I'm wondering about actual evidence. Mostly I think I've really been seeing the assumption that it's acid, therefore dangerous. But the only evidence I've seen so far of people actually destroying their hair involved undiluted lemon juice left on for hours. If it's put on as a rinse and then rinsed out well a few minutes later, is there a real worry?
I do know that my scalp at least likes the acid- it really stops any itching for me. And the normal scalp pH is lower than neutral.

Chromis
August 23rd, 2016, 06:47 AM
I suspect it it one of those hair myths/generalizations. I used to make mine a lot stronger than what I see most do and have never had trouble with it. The only time I have had trouble was when I did exactly what you described, mixed my henna with lemon juice and left it on overnight because that was what the instructions said. (I don't use any lemon juice in my henna now!) I don't even leave my normal rinse on for a few minutes. I dip the ends a few seconds then pour it over, then I tip my scalp back under the water for a moment. Not to try and rinse completely, but I find I get better coverage then, pouring is pretty uneven for me, and I do prefer it rinsed a little. Really I just sort of wave my head under the water and back out though!

pailin
August 23rd, 2016, 08:34 AM
Thanks, I am glad to hear someone else not finding actual evidence for a problem, who's probably been actually paying attention for a lot longer. Because if it is such a danger, I think I should find some (like I do for baking soda washing).

queenb33
August 23rd, 2016, 08:41 AM
I didn't do a vinegar rinse, I'll try that next time. I lathered my hands first and then rubbed it in and repeated. I think maybe I just didn't use enough for the ends and since my hair is so fine it is weighed down completely. Thanks for the advice!

Chromis
August 23rd, 2016, 08:43 AM
Yeah, so I am no expert, but I have been using shampoo bars since at least 2008 when this thread was started. I'd have to look at the old boards to see further back than that, but I might have started in 2007. In that time my hair has grown from nearly tailbone to past knee (and I have been holding around knee for several years). The only time I have lost thickness was when I lost a lot of weight quickly and I had been using the bars for many years already by that time. People say a lot of weird doom and gloom about using shampoo bars, and I readily agree they are not for everyone, but I think much of it is unfounded.

pailin
August 23rd, 2016, 09:07 AM
I figured you might be the poster girl for shampoo bars being longhair safe, but didn't realize you'd been using them anywhere near that long!
I was just reading some more in the thread and finding a couple frequent washers using them too, and not seeming to have destroyed their hair either.

Chromis
August 23rd, 2016, 09:14 AM
Haha, yeah I am on the first page page of the thread enabling away :lol: I know I posted on the old thread as well, but I'd need to use the internet wayback machine to see how far back I think now since it isn't working for me directly.

I went through a period of more frequent washing and it did not seem to harm my length, although my scalp got dry. That had happened with regular shampoos of all sorts too though, so I think my scalp just protests over enthusiastic cleaning. It protests if I stretch too long as well, there is like a Goldilocks zone.

pailin
August 23rd, 2016, 10:52 AM
You're not just enabling on the first page of this thread, you're getting implicated by someone who'd already been enabled (past tense)!

pailin
August 24th, 2016, 10:35 AM
After a week and a half or so with this bar, my ends suddenly got totally nasty- hard and almost sticky,so I had to break out my s&c and clarify to get my hair back. Now I'm trying to figure out what I need to tweak- technique or the whole soap recipe.

Silverbleed
August 25th, 2016, 01:09 PM

Bit late of a response, but I'd like to reply anyway c:

The way I sometimes test is by applying the products I've used in my hair on my hands. Then I try washing it off with the shampoo bar. If my hands feel completely clean, like, I don't need to use hand soap anymore, it'll most likely clean your hair as well. If it doesn't it might need multiple tries or something else. This has always worked for me so far c: I did those tests back when I used hairspray, gel or wax once, but also with a conditioner.

For me its really important to wash my scalp very well. I always have to try my best to clean well behind my ears and in my neck, it's easy to miss those parts but they get oily the quickest for me. It took me a while to finally get a good routine how to shampoo my hair. I always oil my hair before I wash it, so I'm pretty sure it's able to get out the oil.

Could also be silicone though. The thing I did wrong was I had amodimethicone left in my hair. Turns out it's a really difficult one to get out, so I had to remove that first. After that I had no issues.

Fru fru
August 26th, 2016, 04:38 PM
I am wondering if those of you with protein sensitivity have problems with shampoo bars? I've been experiencing some breakage and splits so I've clarified and gone back to my regular coney conditioner.

I would really like to use shampoo bars (especially as I just started making them) so I wonder if different oils in the bar would make a difference. I'm also looking into water soluble silicones because, until I trim off all my pre lhc hair, I think I need cones.

Chromis
August 26th, 2016, 06:01 PM
I didn't have a lot of luck with some of the beer bars and some of the silk protein bars, so it might just be the one you are trying. I tried some goat's milk bars once that did not work out well either, although they made really lovely soap! What is in the one you made?

My hair loves coconut for example, but I know that can be a problem for other. Meanwhile I haven't seen anyone else complain about beer bars!

Silverbleed
August 29th, 2016, 06:20 AM
I wouldn't know, as my hair craves for protein instead

samanthaa
August 31st, 2016, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure why protein sensitivity would in any way be linked to an issue with shampoo bars (unless you're using maybe a shampoo bar that has protein in it?).

I have not had a problem and my hair tends to prefer protein-free conditioners to protein-containing ones.

Fru fru
August 31st, 2016, 04:16 PM
Chromis, the bars I made have olive oil and coconut oil in them. I have used many different bars both cv and some from a lady that sells on Amazon and eBay. However I think the recent splits have been caused by using a BBB. I'm going to let my hair recover a bit and then try again with the shampoo bars.

Samanthaa I thought it might possibly be a problem because some protein sensitive people do not get on with coconut oil and Shea butter, ingredients that are in a lot of bars.

Silverbleed
September 1st, 2016, 12:19 AM
Maybe it's the coconut fat issue instead? This (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.nl/2014/06/coconut-oil-makes-my-hair-stiff.html) article came to mind. Maybe you could test it by using coconut oil directly on your hair on a small strand. If you're not getting negative results, that's probably it. If not I guess it might be your BBB after all.

Silverbleed
September 3rd, 2016, 07:25 AM
There, I made a new order for some new bars. After a year I finally almost got through. I ordered the ayuverdic one and chamomile citrus. Haven't tried the second one yet, so that's a trial. I also got the coffee moreno for my boyfriend, as he's got ash brown/dark ash blonde hair. I'm really curious about the chamomile citrus bar. Especially because it mentions subtle highlights xD I'd like that, without using bleach.

ArtificiallyRed
September 5th, 2016, 04:29 PM
I'm thinking of going back to soap/ACV on my hair, it was the only thing that worked for my scalp issues (dry, flakey, itchy, seemingly un-curable). I tried many companies like Funky Soap, Living Naturally, and just general handmade soap bars.

The Funky Soap bars and they seemed to deteriorate quicker from use because they had a higher superfat - meaning they have more of the nice oils and butters left over to moisturise your hair!
The Living Naturally ones lasted longer generally, but my scalp still didn't like as much, I think the added Soap Nuts are too much for me.

The only soap I found that my scalp LOVED was super duper plain 100% Olive Oil Castille soap - it has minimal bubbles and it's super duper gentle, the most gentle of all soaps as far as I know. I used one that had bay added and another that had sulphur added and they were fab too! Unfortunately though I bought them in a tiny town in Crete as off-cuts so I can't remember the shop name or even if they had a website.

The bay laurel type AKA Aleppo soap, is definitely available elsewhere. I think Living Naturally does one, but they should be available on Amazon too from other manufacturers too.

I actually got into making my own soap for a while and loved it- I definitely want to get back into making it. It's a shame that lye is so horrible to work with!

animetor7
September 7th, 2016, 03:53 PM
So I just moved and in doing so accidentally mixed up which of my soap bars from Chagrin Valley are soap bars for the body and which are specifically shampoo bars. I've just been using them all as both and have yet to notice any issues with my hair. So I'm thinking of just testing some of the body/facial bars that seem interesting as shampoo bars on my next order. Is this a terrible idea?

sumidha
September 7th, 2016, 06:02 PM
As far as I know body soap bars tend to have more oils, but other than that they're the same thing. :)

mizukitty
September 8th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Chromis, the bars I made have olive oil and coconut oil in them. I have used many different bars both cv and some from a lady that sells on Amazon and eBay. However I think the recent splits have been caused by using a BBB. I'm going to let my hair recover a bit and then try again with the shampoo bars.

Samanthaa I thought it might possibly be a problem because some protein sensitive people do not get on with coconut oil and Shea butter, ingredients that are in a lot of bars.

Hi, I used to make lye soap a couple years back, and coconut oil creates a very sudsy, very stripping bar (if used alone or if the % of it overpowers the other oils/butters). For a very mild bar, I would use only olive oil - this creates a lovely castille bar of soap that doesn't produce many bubbles (especially if you have a high superfat, which is the amount of oil left over that is not saponified). Castille bars are really nice for dry skin and scalp, and do adequately clean, just without the lather. Some people react badly to plain ol' coconut oil on their hair, let alone saponified coconut oil, which is really drying! Hope I helped a little. Apologies if I just repeated things you already know as well!

Also olive oil (very moisturizing) on your ends should help seal in some moisture if you didn't really want to use cones.

Neoma
September 13th, 2016, 09:15 PM
I'm going through the third major shed of my life. I'm literally losing clumps of hair. There are clumps all over my apartment and it comes out in handsful when I shampoo. And my hair snaps when I comb or brush it. A few weeks ago, it was gorgeous and healthy. Now, due to a migraine medication, which I'm tapering off of, this is happening.

I truly want to cry.

I bought a rosemary nettle Camamu shampoo bar at the health food store today. Instinctively, I feel like using something really basic and natural is what my hair and scalp need to recover. I plan to start using the poo bar tomorrow and follow up with a WV/EO rinse and/or conditioner if I need it.

I will report back.

pailin
September 14th, 2016, 03:46 AM
I'm going through the third major shed of my life. I'm literally losing clumps of hair. There are clumps all over my apartment and it comes out in handsful when I shampoo. And my hair snaps when I comb or brush it. A few weeks ago, it was gorgeous and healthy. Now, due to a migraine medication, which I'm tapering off of, this is happening.

I truly want to cry.

I bought a rosemary nettle Camamu shampoo bar at the health food store today. Instinctively, I feel like using something really basic and natural is what my hair and scalp need to recover. I plan to start using the poo bar tomorrow and follow up with a WV/EO rinse and/or conditioner if I need it.

I will report back.

Oh, Neoma, no wonder you feel like you could cry, that sounds horribly discouraging. I hope the shampoo bar makes your scalp happier, and I really hope it all- the migraines and everything else- gets better soon.

Silverbleed
September 14th, 2016, 06:06 AM
I'm sorry Neoma :c I hope this bar helps a little.
May I ask what kind of meds you were using? I also have chronic migraine, last thing I'd want is hair loss from meds.. that's SO frustrating I'm so sorry :(

RebekahE
September 14th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Oh Neoma, I am so sorry you are experiencing this. Hopefully going off the medication will stop it. *hugs*

RebekahE
September 14th, 2016, 08:08 AM
DM gave me a shampoo bar to use. She said she tried them but didn't particularly care for them, it is called Mom's Shampoo Bar Herbal Shampoo. Anyone have experience with this one? I intend to use it up one way or another, if it doesn't work on my hair I will use it as my body soap.
Ingredients:
Lye, water, olive oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, shea butter, almond oil, avocado oil, and essential oils (rosemary, pine and grapefruit)

Neoma
September 14th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Oh, Neoma, no wonder you feel like you could cry, that sounds horribly discouraging. I hope the shampoo bar makes your scalp happier, and I really hope it all- the migraines and everything else- gets better soon.Thank you, pailin. :flowers:

I'm sorry Neoma :c I hope this bar helps a little.
May I ask what kind of meds you were using? I also have chronic migraine, last thing I'd want is hair loss from meds.. that's SO frustrating I'm so sorry :(Thank you, Silverbleed. :flowers: I'm taking Abilify, which they're using off label for migraine prevention. Of course, not all people experience all side effects. Incidence of hair loss is supposedly quite low. :(

I'm so sorry to hear that you also have chronic migraine. :grouphug: The last time I went through a shed like this, it was from Depakote.

Oh Neoma, I am so sorry you are experiencing this. Hopefully going off the medication will stop it. *hugs*Thank you, RebekahE. :flowers:

Silverbleed
September 14th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Thank you, pailin. :flowers:

Thank you, Silverbleed. :flowers: I'm taking Abilify, which they're using off label for migraine prevention. Of course, not all people experience all side effects. Incidence of hair loss is supposedly quite low. :(

I'm so sorry to hear that you also have chronic migraine. :grouphug: The last time I went through a shed like this, it was from Depakote.

Thank you, RebekahE. :flowers:

I suppose you have completely different products than I do, unless it's a brand you're speaking of. I am using a triptane, sumatriptane to be precise. Thankfully I haven't experienced any negative side effects with any meds in the past, as I've changed to 5 different ones over the years. I also have prevention meds (beta blocker in English I think?). It does mention hair loss but it's in the 1 to 10000 section. Thankfully I don't experience this. I hope you're able to find the meds that work for you without any side effects soon!

Edit; I did have one side effect however. But this was brand specific, probably a bad ingredient. It gave me hyperventilation for several hours. That was horrible. It took me a few months to recover.

I hope so much the shampoo bar helps you! Let us how what you think of it c: :flower: much hugs

animetor7
September 14th, 2016, 01:37 PM
I'm sorry Neoma!! At least you have a good idea of what's causing it, and can take steps to stop it. In any case, all the internet hugs, and good luck!!!

Neoma
September 14th, 2016, 02:04 PM
I suppose you have completely different products than I do, unless it's a brand you're speaking of. I am using a triptane, sumatriptane to be precise. Thankfully I haven't experienced any negative side effects with any meds in the past, as I've changed to 5 different ones over the years. I also have prevention meds (beta blocker in English I think?). It does mention hair loss but it's in the 1 to 10000 section. Thankfully I don't experience this. I hope you're able to find the meds that work for you without any side effects soon!

Edit; I did have one side effect however. But this was brand specific, probably a bad ingredient. It gave me hyperventilation for several hours. That was horrible. It took me a few months to recover.

I hope so much the shampoo bar helps you! Let us how what you think of it c: :flower: much hugsThank you for sharing your experience with the meds, Silverbleed. :flower: That side effect sounds horrible. I'm glad that you recovered.

I take sumatriptane as a rescue med, too.

I'm sorry Neoma!! At least you have a good idea of what's causing it, and can take steps to stop it. In any case, all the internet hugs, and good luck!!!
Thank you for all the internet hugs and well wishes, animetor! :flower:

I shampooed twice with the new poo bar this a.m. I did not clarify, even though I have been using lots of cones lately.

I finished with a WV/EO rinse, which I rinsed out after several minutes.

Detangling was mixed... I waited until my hair was almost dry, then detangled with a wide-tooth comb. Some sections detangled easily, others required great care and concentration, but I didn't feel as if I caused any mechanical damage.

Dry, my hair looks fabulous. I made a faux French braid into a pinless braided bun. It looks great. My hair is blindingly shiny and super soft.

On a less positive note, DH commented today that my hair was all over the apartment, almost as if I were going through chemo. (I mean no disrespect to anyone who actually has.) He did, however, reiterate that my hair will grow back.

Silverbleed
September 15th, 2016, 04:02 AM
I have a very positive experience with pre-oiling lately. It's also a huge difference on detangling for me. You could try that later, maybe it does something for you too. It took me a bit to figure out how my hair was clean, but I've noticed when a spot on my hair does not lather, it's still dirty. If it lathers, it's clean. I've had multiple successful pre-oil washes currently. I love my hair right now, it's softer than conditioner could do. This is my holy grail right now; pre oil olive oil, shampoo bar, diluted acv rinse, air dry c: Easy peasy!

pailin
September 15th, 2016, 06:24 AM
I really hope you find a migraine solution that works and doesn't cause awful side-effects, Neoma. I've taken a lot of them over the years and never had any really untolerable side effects (although I did quit the Depakote partly because of weight gain). I'm actually doing much better these days.

So far I'm happy with my current shampoo bar recipe (after 4 attempts that did not work out well- I have a nice big stash of bath bars now :) ). Just the right amount of clean but soft and not dry. Wash, citric acid + EO rinse, a little sunflower oil for leave in. Sometimes my hair wants a pea-size amount of conditioner as a leave in too. When I think of the handfuls I need with shampoo, it's crazy. If I'm still this good by the end of the week, I'm going to make another batch so they have a nice long time to cure. The one I'm currently using only had 2 weeks, so it's melting fast.

Neoma
September 15th, 2016, 08:56 AM
I have a very positive experience with pre-oiling lately. It's also a huge difference on detangling for me. You could try that later, maybe it does something for you too. It took me a bit to figure out how my hair was clean, but I've noticed when a spot on my hair does not lather, it's still dirty. If it lathers, it's clean. I've had multiple successful pre-oil washes currently. I love my hair right now, it's softer than conditioner could do. This is my holy grail right now; pre oil olive oil, shampoo bar, diluted acv rinse, air dry c: Easy peasy!Thank you, Silverbleed. :flowers: I frequently pre-oil with coconut oil. Olive is too heavy for my hair. My hair loves oil. It would probably be a good thing to do it more now that my hair and scalp are in crisis. Thank you for the reminder.

I really hope you find a migraine solution that works and doesn't cause awful side-effects, Neoma. I've taken a lot of them over the years and never had any really untolerable side effects (although I did quit the Depakote partly because of weight gain). I'm actually doing much better these days.

So far I'm happy with my current shampoo bar recipe (after 4 attempts that did not work out well- I have a nice big stash of bath bars now :) ). Just the right amount of clean but soft and not dry. Wash, citric acid + EO rinse, a little sunflower oil for leave in. Sometimes my hair wants a pea-size amount of conditioner as a leave in too. When I think of the handfuls I need with shampoo, it's crazy. If I'm still this good by the end of the week, I'm going to make another batch so they have a nice long time to cure. The one I'm currently using only had 2 weeks, so it's melting fast.
Thank you, pailin. :flowers: I'm glad to hear that you're doing better these days. It gives me hope.

It's wonderful that you made your own shampoo/soap bars!

This morning, I shampooed with my new shampoo bar. I only lathered once because it made a mountain of lather. I did not use an acid rinse. I applied a dime-sized dollop of Kinky Curly Knot Today conditioner after squeezing excess water out of my hair, then put it up in a Turbie Towel. Detangling was moderately easy. My hair is still wet, so I can't tell you how it's going to turn out. It probably doesn't matter, since I always put it up anyway. :)

pailin
September 15th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Sounds like a good shampoo bar so far,Neoma.
You know, including the migraines, I have had 3 health issues like that improve or resolve, that I once thought would never get better and that while not exactly life-threatening, were massive nuisances. So maybe we just never know. Although I still hate bright sunshine! I think I always will.

The shampoo bar-making has been a relatively healthy way to obsess a little over something lately, and I've needed that, so I'm calling it therapy :)

Neoma
September 15th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Sounds like a good shampoo bar so far,Neoma.
You know, including the migraines, I have had 3 health issues like that improve or resolve, that I once thought would never get better and that while not exactly life-threatening, were massive nuisances. So maybe we just never know. Although I still hate bright sunshine! I think I always will.

The shampoo bar-making has been a relatively healthy way to obsess a little over something lately, and I've needed that, so I'm calling it therapy :)
Thank you for sharing that, pailin. It really does give me hope. As you know, the migraines aren't life threatening, but they sure do impact my quality of life. I have to have hope that they will improve at some point.

I am so glad to hear that the soap making is therapeutic for you! I imagine it would be fun.

Yes, this shampoo bar seems to be a keeper! My hair really liked today's routine using a dollop of cone-free leave-in conditioner instead of an acid rinse.

animetor7
September 15th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Thank you for sharing that, pailin. It really does give me hope. As you know, the migraines aren't life threatening, but they sure do impact my quality of life. I have to have hope that they will improve at some point.

I am so glad to hear that the soap making is therapeutic for you! I imagine it would be fun.

Yes, this shampoo bar seems to be a keeper! My hair really liked today's routine using a dollop of cone-free leave-in conditioner instead of an acid rinse.

I'm glad the shampoo bar worked so well. :) I don't get migraines very often but they aren't fun. It must be so much harder to have them frequently. I know a family friend gets them regularly and she says daily naps help her. I don't know if that would work for you, but maybe it would.

I just tried using a farmer's market natural sap bar for shampoo, with very sticky results even with my usual vinegar rinse. Oh well, it was a fun experiment and smells lovely, so I can just use it as a body soap. :)

Neoma
September 15th, 2016, 01:48 PM
I'm glad the shampoo bar worked so well. :) I don't get migraines very often but they aren't fun. It must be so much harder to have them frequently. I know family friend gets them regularly and she says daily naps help her. I don't know if that would work for you, but maybe it would.

I just tried using a farmer's market natural sap bar for shampoo, with very sticky results even with my usual vinegar rinse. Oh well, it was a fun experiment and smells lovely, so I can just use it as a body soap. :)

Thank you for the suggestion, animetor7! I can certainly try napping. It couldn't hurt.

That's the nice thing about failed shampoo bars... They make great body soap.

RebekahE
September 16th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Okay, sorry to interrupt the chain of thread here . . . but what does your hair feel like after you have rinsed the soap out and haven't yet done an acv rinse? Mine felt kind of really compacted and squeaky, like really squeaky, if I ran my finger over it would squeak. And no I didn't run my finger over to amuse myself :p. And what does your hair feel like after the acv rinse? I am hoping I can get this to work because it worked in really nice, I just ran the bar with the direction of my hair to the nape of my neck all over my head and then gently worked it in like I would with shampoo. I did not put any on my length, only my scalp. My hair is still wet right now but I'll report back tomorrow morning once it's dry.

animetor7
September 16th, 2016, 08:42 PM
My hair feels squeaky and almost waxy after I've used a shampoo bar but haven't done my vinegar rinse yet. Once they vinegar rinse is done it feels silky, very soft, and tangles seem to fall away. But a vinegar rinse is always necessary for me because I have hard water and no water filter.

Silverbleed
September 17th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Today I decided to try something; applying conditioner before shampooing. My hair is still drying but I am not very enthusiastic yet. I really think conditioner is not for me, at all. I didn't expect it but my hair looks much more frizzy than usual and it feels a little less soft than I'm used to.
No, after I'm though my bottle of conditioner, I don't think I'll buy any new ones because it doesn't seem to do anything for my hair. I'll have to see how it dries though but it just doesn't feel right already.

RebekahE
September 17th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Thanks! It seems fine and not at all waxy right now. My scalp seems happy so far and my hair feels soft ( I still used conditioner ). The only thing is I might've increased shedding a little but yesterday (before shower) when I got up in the morning and combed my hair I thought like I lost more hair than usual. Odd. And this morning when I combed my hair I definitely shed more than I usually do.

Cinnamonqueen12
September 17th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Hi there! It's so cool to have this thread here!

I'm new to the whole shampoo bar thing, but in the three weeks that I've been using it, my hair has gotten really bad. I come out of the shower with dry, tangled, clumpy, dirty looking hair. After I run the bar over my hair, lather and rinse, my hair feels very tangled and clumpy. If I pulled my hair to the nape of my neck and gently squeezed, the hair would stay like that. I have been slowly making my vinegar rinses stronger, and I have even tried conditioning in between, to no avail. I just got out of the shower and my hair feels gross. Is it possible that much hair just doesn't like the shampoo bar?

(Ps, sorry if there is a post in here about my problem already. There's quite a few pages in this thread)

Silverbleed
September 17th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Did you clarify your hair before you started using the shampoo bar? It's not capable of removing (most, maybe some) silicone, so if you still have silicone left in your hair, it could give this really weird effect. For me it made my hair sticky feeling and also greasy while I just cleaned it. After I clarified my hair and removed all the silicone, I have had no issues since.

Cinnamonqueen12
September 17th, 2016, 08:56 AM
No I didn't. I'll definitely give it a try! Thank you!

Silverbleed
September 17th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Yep, total fail. It's so incredibly frizzy and messy. It's final; conditioner is not for me :confused:

http://i.imgur.com/XOFWuTi.jpg

animetor7
September 17th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Today I decided to try something; applying conditioner before shampooing. My hair is still drying but I am not very enthusiastic yet. I really think conditioner is not for me, at all. I didn't expect it but my hair looks much more frizzy than usual and it feels a little less soft than I'm used to.
No, after I'm though my bottle of conditioner, I don't think I'll buy any new ones because it doesn't seem to do anything for my hair. I'll have to see how it dries though but it just doesn't feel right already.

I would just say make sure you're getting moisture into your hair somehow. Many people on here find that conditioner doesn't work for them and they often use oils, butters, or different types of gels instead to moisturize their hair. Good luck finding the right moisturizer for your hair!!! It's kind of fun searching for what hair "wants". :)

Silverbleed
September 17th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Yeah I still use protein, coconut oil, olive oil and occasionally argan oil, castor oil or jojoba oil. And more I kinda forgot lmao. I'm going to try cassia this week as well, curious if it does anything for my hair.

lithostoic
September 28th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Curious about shampoo bars. I have a hard time with traditional shampoo. I'll like one for a while and then have to switch for some reason.

I've been using head&shoulders since May and suddenly within the past couple weeks it's too drying/stripping, my hair comes out a lot in the shower. Nothing has changed.

I've heard good things about Chagrin Valley, does anyone have any bar recommendations in particular?

animetor7
September 28th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Curious about shampoo bars. I have a hard time with traditional shampoo. I'll like one for a while and then have to switch for some reason.

I've been using head&shoulders since May and suddenly within the past couple weeks it's too drying/stripping, my hair comes out a lot in the shower. Nothing has changed.

I've heard good things about Chagrin Valley, does anyone have any bar recommendations in particular?

My favorite "general" shampoo bar from Chagrin Valley is the lavender spice bar. It's heavily scented, but I love the scent, so I don't mind, but if you're sensitive to fragrances it might be something to watch out for. Another of my favorites from them is the coconut milk shampoo bar, which doesn't smell like much of anything, just soap, but is very gentle on my hair. What sort of hair do you have? Does it go greasy quickly? Is it dry? Do you get dandruff at all? These factors will affect what shampoo bars will work best for you. :)

lithostoic
September 28th, 2016, 08:43 PM
My hair is oily but not overly so, it typically doesn't look too oily to wear down until day 4 of not washing. The ends have a tendency to get dry (bleach damage) but I use oil for that. I get mild dandruff that I've been managing with H&S but as I've said it's been a bit too stripping lately :c

animetor7
September 28th, 2016, 10:09 PM
My hair is oily but not overly so, it typically doesn't look too oily to wear down until day 4 of not washing. The ends have a tendency to get dry (bleach damage) but I use oil for that. I get mild dandruff that I've been managing with H&S but as I've said it's been a bit too stripping lately :c

Given that your scalp is a bit oily with some dandruff I'd recommend th lavender spice and the neem and tea tree shampoo bar/body soap. The neem and tea tree smells rather strongly and I don't really like the scent, but it does take care of any dandruff problems as well as cleans well. I'd also recommend buying the sample sizes to start as they're quite generous and should be large enough for you to tell what works and what doesn't. Ida also has a fantastic section on the chagrin valley website talking about how to choose products for your hair and scalp. Hopefully someone else will chime in here too!! Good luck! :)

lithostoic
September 28th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Thank you very much!

rosance
September 30th, 2016, 12:30 AM
I just started using a bar for washing my hair. I'm just curious to see what you guys think about the ingredients in the bar im using. I am using Godrej Shikakai Bar with the following:
Sodium palmate, sodium palm kemelate, water, sodium c14-16 olefin sulfonate, perfume, polyquatemium-7, sodium chloride, glycerine, disodium edta, shikakai, amla, bhringraj, titatnium dioxide, bht, citric acid, cl47000

sumidha
September 30th, 2016, 02:22 PM
lithostoic I think CV will also give you a recommendation on which bars to try if you email them about your hair's needs. :)

Decoy24601
September 30th, 2016, 05:49 PM
I'm going to try using the shampoo bar that I have (from a local etsy soaper) again now that I have citric acid. I'm going down to the states soon to visit family so I might have some CV bars shipped there :p.

ETA: Success! My hair feels wonderful now. I'm going to keep using shampoo bars with a citric acid rinse for a few weeks and see if I get any buildup issues like when I didn't have citric acid. I used about 1tsp for 6 cups of water.

rosance
October 1st, 2016, 09:36 AM
I did research on the ingredients in godrej bar and they are either sulfactants, conditioners, chelating agents, or herbs. I like that combination and it feels like my hair likes it too. Is it normal for hair to feel really grippy, kind of rough and impossible to run your fingers through after using a bar? My guess is that it is the sodium palmate's fat making hair stick together and repel water. After using the acv at the end, hair regains its softness and smoothness. I think I'm loving this new routine. I just have to test it with a very hard to remove oil I made out of shikakai , amla, neem, and brahmi powders and coconut oil.

animetor7
October 1st, 2016, 10:33 AM
I did research on the ingredients in godrej bar and they are either sulfactants, conditioners, chelating agents, or herbs. I like that combination and it feels like my hair likes it too. Is it normal for hair to feel really grippy, kind of rough and impossible to run your fingers through after using a bar? My guess is that it is the sodium palmate's fat making hair stick together and repel water. After using the acv at the end, hair regains its softness and smoothness. I think I'm loving this new routine. I just have to test it with a very hard to remove oil I made out of shikakai , amla, neem, and brahmi powders and coconut oil.

Yup! It's completely normal for hair to feel rough just after rinsing out a shampoo bar. My guess is because shampoo bars are alkaline which raises the hair cuticles and then the ACV returns hair to its normal ph level which lowers the cuticles again. :)

pailin
October 1st, 2016, 10:34 AM
It is normal for your hair to feel really grippy after soap and before the acidic rinse. Not because of the fats in the bar though. Because it's soap. Sodium palmate and sodium palm kernelate are what you get when you mix palm oil and palm kernel oil with lye (sodium hydroxide); the chemical reaction results in soap. But soap is both alkaline (your hair's normal pH is a little acidic), and it tends to react with minerals in the water. That is what produces soap scum on your shower. In this case, in your hair! The vinegar rinse then dissolves that.

lithostoic
October 1st, 2016, 12:26 PM
I'm scared of having a hair disaster. But I hate buying plastic bottles. I'm about to order from CV but I'm worried my hair will be tangly and unmanageable. I have hard water.

pailin
October 1st, 2016, 12:48 PM
With hard water, you'll definitely need a vinegar or citric acid rinse, and you'll have to experiment a little with the strength. But it doesn't mean it can't work.

lithostoic
October 1st, 2016, 03:27 PM
Would a showerhead filter negate the need for an acidic rinse? I can only imagine how angry my skin would be

animetor7
October 1st, 2016, 04:23 PM
Would a showerhead filter negate the need for an acidic rinse? I can only imagine how angry my skin would be

I have eczema and am an auburn-head, so I have typical red-head skin that reacts to everything. I can do an acid rinse fine because you don't use pure acid, that's WAY too harsh. I use a very dilute (like 1:10 acid:water) mix with some light conditioner and essential oils added in. A shower filter might negate the need for an acid rinse, but I'd still recommend doing one because your hair and scalp has a natural ph of around 4-6 and water has a general ph of 7. So by doing an acid rinse you can restore this natural ph after using an alkaline cleanser like a shampoo bar. This will reduce the risk of damage and irritation on your scalp and hair. :)

lithostoic
October 1st, 2016, 04:37 PM
Thank you.

rosance
October 1st, 2016, 05:26 PM
I have a shower filter but there is no way I would be able to skip the acid rinse. Hair feels rough until acv comes in.

Decoy24601
October 1st, 2016, 07:30 PM
The point of an acid rinse isn't for hard water when used after shampoo bars. Isn't it to help prevent buildup from the soap bar itself? (soapscum).

I have allergies and eczema and a citric acid rinse is fine on my skin (it's not very strong. I use 1tsp citric acid powder in 6 cups of water).

pailin
October 1st, 2016, 09:01 PM
Well, hard water does make the soapscum worse.

animetor7
October 5th, 2016, 11:34 PM
The point of an acid rinse isn't for hard water when used after shampoo bars. Isn't it to help prevent buildup from the soap bar itself? (soapscum).

I have allergies and eczema and a citric acid rinse is fine on my skin (it's not very strong. I use 1tsp citric acid powder in 6 cups of water).

Soap scum (and soap itself) is dissolved by water that's neutral and doesn't contain things like minerals. The problem with hard water is that it is slightly alkaline and contains minerals and other things besides water, these are present in all city water intentionally because of the health benefits found in some things like fluoride, and unintentionally because minerals are harmless in small quantities and can be expensive to filter out on a city wide scale. When combined with soap this creates the gooey compound known as soap scum. In places with soft water which is mildly acidic, this is much less of a problem because the mild acidity dissolves and rinses away the soap before scum can form. So in theory if you have a shower filter to remove the minerals and help adjust the pH then you wouldn't need a special acid rinse to get rid of buildup from the shampoo bar. The problem is that filters may not be effective depending on the quality of water you start with and how often you change/check the filtering mechanism.

lithostoic
October 6th, 2016, 04:53 AM
Where can I buy citric acid? And how do I be sure the rinse reaches every hair?

pailin
October 6th, 2016, 05:49 AM
I think I've heard they sell it for canning. I bought mine in a bakery supply store and also a chemical supply store,but that was not the US.
I've used a squirt bottle (like they sell for condiments), an old shampoo bottle (until it broke), and a 2-cup plastic that came with yogurt in it-basically a really large cup. For that one, I poured part on my head, and dunked my ends in the cup, then poured the remainder on my head. You'll have to experiment a little.

samanthaa
October 6th, 2016, 10:23 AM
I buy my CA online. Originally from Mehandi because I was buying henna supplies from there as well, but then from Swanson Health Products. I'm sure you can find it on Amazon.

Echoing pailin. I use a wide-brimmed mason jar, dip my length in the jar, then pour the rest down over my scalp and massage it through.

animetor7
October 6th, 2016, 10:32 AM
I use a very large jug. I pour a bit of my vinegar rinse at the start of my shower and leave it just outside the stall. Then when it's rinse time I grab it and fill it the rest of the way with water. I dip my ends in and pour a bit over my head from a few different angles while bent at the waist with my head upside down and finish up the jug wherever it feels like it needs it. I'm sure you could do the same with a citric acid rinse. Pailin's condiment bottle method is another option of course. :)

summergame
October 16th, 2016, 12:01 PM
If someone is interested, I've found a website that is selling the CV shampoo bars in Holland, so less shipping costs to Belgium and the Netherlands! (http://louland.nl/)

Now I am doubting about where to order shampoo bars. I want to try the Apple valley ones but they don't ship to Belgium so I have to choose between the Chagrin Valley ones or this ones from Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/nl/listing/233962540/test-pakket-van-vier-haarzepen-sample

I've tried in the past the Chagrin Valley ones but I didn't know anymore why I stopped using them.

Silverbleed
October 16th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Yeah I've been buying from Louland for almost two years now. They also ship outside the Netherlands, someone here earlier ordered a few to the UK.

I'm really happy the shop is here since it arrives the next morning c: Etsy usually takes a while to arrive, and I often forget to order a new batch in time xD

lithostoic
October 16th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Think I'll just use AVC as it's more readily available. I've bookmarked the Chagrin Valley coconut milk shampoo bar c: Excited to try it. Will buy AVC before placing the order though.

poli
October 18th, 2016, 01:50 PM
I got my first ever shampoo bar. I just tested it on my bangs. So, it seems to work with just conditioner, hope I can avoid ACV rinses. Does anyone know what teas and herbs have acidic ph? I much rather use herbal tea rinses if I need any.

sumidha
October 18th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Lemon juice or citric acid can be used if you don't want to use vinegar.

animetor7
October 18th, 2016, 03:43 PM
I got my first ever shampoo bar. I just tested it on my bangs. So, it seems to work with just conditioner, hope I can avoid ACV rinses. Does anyone know what teas and herbs have acidic ph? I much rather use herbal tea rinses if I need any.

Are you just avoiding the smell of ACV? If so as someone else mentioned, any acid will do, ACV is just convenient because it's readily available and cheap. I ran some quick numbers through some chemistry equations (chem minor, this is what I do with my free time I clearly need a life ;) ) and the pH of the diluted white vinegar rinse I use is about 3.9. I'm using this as a base because from my understanding on this thread and hearing the dilutions that other people report, mine is about middle of the road ~120 mL of vinegar in a gallon which is about 4 liters, or about 30mL per liter of water. I also have moderately hard water here which is again, about average for the US. So my rinse happens to make a decent baseline, if you have softer water you could handle a more alkaline(higher pH) rinse, and if you have harder water you'll need a rinse a bit stronger than mine (lower pH). So then I looked at several common teas and herbs you might use.

-Green tea, chamomile, rooibos, ginger tea, and most other herb teas have an alkaline pH and cannot be used to replace an acid rinse
-Black tea has a pH of around 4.9, so would only work as an acid rinse if you already have fairly soft water (3.9-4.9 is a HUGE difference on the pH scale a rinse with a pH of 3.9 is 10x stronger than pH 4.9 one) You also would not want to dilute this rinse.
-Peppermint, rosemary, basil, spearmint, and thyme are all alkaline and cannot be used to replace an acid rinse
-Lemon and lime juice both have a pH of ~2.0 so unless you have very hard water this should be diluted more than 30mL acid per liter of water.
-Rhubarb has a pH of ~3.0, so again unless you have hard water, you'd want less than 30mL of concentrated rhubarb juice per liter of water

These were what I found for pH values with a cursory search for more common herbs. If anyone is interested in a more in depth herb/pH analysis and how it pertains to an acid rinse to replace vinegar, let me know, I can either make a new thread, a blog post, or a longer post here. I hope this helps. :)

poli
October 18th, 2016, 11:56 PM
Are you just avoiding the smell of ACV? If so as someone else mentioned, any acid will do, ACV is just convenient because it's readily available and cheap. I ran some quick numbers through some chemistry equations (chem minor, this is what I do with my free time I clearly need a life ;) ) and the pH of the diluted white vinegar rinse I use is about 3.9. I'm using this as a base because from my understanding on this thread and hearing the dilutions that other people report, mine is about middle of the road ~120 mL of vinegar in a gallon which is about 4 liters, or about 30mL per liter of water. I also have moderately hard water here which is again, about average for the US. So my rinse happens to make a decent baseline, if you have softer water you could handle a more alkaline(higher pH) rinse, and if you have harder water you'll need a rinse a bit stronger than mine (lower pH). So then I looked at several common teas and herbs you might use.

-Green tea, chamomile, rooibos, ginger tea, and most other herb teas have an alkaline pH and cannot be used to replace an acid rinse
-Black tea has a pH of around 4.9, so would only work as an acid rinse if you already have fairly soft water (3.9-4.9 is a HUGE difference on the pH scale a rinse with a pH of 3.9 is 10x stronger than pH 4.9 one) You also would not want to dilute this rinse.
-Peppermint, rosemary, basil, spearmint, and thyme are all alkaline and cannot be used to replace an acid rinse
-Lemon and lime juice both have a pH of ~2.0 so unless you have very hard water this should be diluted more than 30mL acid per liter of water.
-Rhubarb has a pH of ~3.0, so again unless you have hard water, you'd want less than 30mL of concentrated rhubarb juice per liter of water

These were what I found for pH values with a cursory search for more common herbs. If anyone is interested in a more in depth herb/pH analysis and how it pertains to an acid rinse to replace vinegar, let me know, I can either make a new thread, a blog post, or a longer post here. I hope this helps. :)

This helps a lot! It is the most informative :) thank you. I would be interested in reading more, so anytime you want to make longer post please do.

My scalp does not like strong vinegar rinses and my hair can get over conditioned if I'm not careful. It's not the smell of ACV, but rather my clumsiness in getting the proportions right. Teas never gave me any scalp issues so I started to think they might be milder and easier to use.
Without any "conditioning"/acid shampoo bar dulls my hair, so I'm going to experiment.

Thanks again. :cheer:

poli
October 20th, 2016, 10:19 AM
I got very nice second day hair, that's a plus. Still fluffy and more shiny than yesterday. I also got 3 more samples from local soap maker :oops:

cassandraj
October 22nd, 2016, 04:53 PM
This thread is making me want to go back to shampoo bars!! (BUUUT I have like, 13 brand new bottles of conditioner I bought for co-wash :( )

When I used the shampoo bars, my hair was ridiculously smooth and soft and shiny and my scalp loved it! But I hit money troubles and couldn't order any more after I had run out, and then once I did have the funds to order again, it took way to long for me to hit a stride (I waited and waited and waited for the adjustment period to go away, but because I was using so much hairspray back in the day, I had to wash every day), so I just up and stopped.

I had a favorite shampoo bar maker, Daisy, at FreshAsADaisySoaps (https://www.etsy.com/shop/FreshAsaDaisySoaps) on Etsy, and she was just fantastic! My favorite bar was Beer Shampoo Bar with Oatstraw, Horsetail & Nettle (https://www.etsy.com/listing/91139519/beer-shampoo-bar-with-oatstraw-horsetail?ga_search_query=beer&ref=shop_items_search_1), because it made my eczema completely clear up, as well as the body acne that was really bad due to pregnancy hormones.

Well, crap. Now I might order some.

cassandraj
October 23rd, 2016, 09:05 AM
Question:

Does anyone follow shampoo bars with conditioner instead of ACV (or acidic) rinse? I've never played around with that, but I know an ACV or white vinegar rinse always helped the transitioning for me. Maybe conditioner would do the same thing?

poli
October 23rd, 2016, 09:21 AM
Question:

Does anyone follow shampoo bars with conditioner instead of ACV (or acidic) rinse? I've never played around with that, but I know an ACV or white vinegar rinse always helped the transitioning for me. Maybe conditioner would do the same thing?

I'm new to this but since ACV irritates my scalp I use diluted conditioner. First wash I didn't and I got dull hair, but when I started it is shiny again. So far I tested 2 of my conditioners (both silicone free) and they work fine for me.

cassandraj
October 23rd, 2016, 09:43 AM
I'm new to this but since ACV irritates my scalp I use diluted conditioner. First wash I didn't and I got dull hair, but when I started it is shiny again. So far I tested 2 of my conditioners (both silicone free) and they work fine for me.

Did you have any issues with the oily/greasy/waxy transition period? I know everyone is different when it comes to the transition...

poli
October 23rd, 2016, 10:59 AM
Did you have any issues with the oily/greasy/waxy transition period? I know everyone is different when it comes to the transition...

Not yet, nothing special. My hair gets greasy on third day with basically any method/product I try anyway.
I think I will have to clarify my hair at some point. We will see.

poli
October 28th, 2016, 07:43 AM
I think I might have some buildup on the length of my hair, my bangs and scalp area feels nice but the lower parts I'm not happy with.
So what do you think, should I clarify and start over or keep experimenting and try with vinegar rinses or what? I'm avoiding vinegar because it irritates my scalp, but maybe I should just soak the hair? Anyone does that?

animetor7
October 28th, 2016, 08:44 AM
I think I might have some buildup on the length of my hair, my bangs and scalp area feels nice but the lower parts I'm not happy with.
So what do you think, should I clarify and start over or keep experimenting and try with vinegar rinses or what? I'm avoiding vinegar because it irritates my scalp, but maybe I should just soak the hair? Anyone does that?

You could just soak the hair in a vinegar rinse. Or you could try a full rinse with something like citric acid powder dissolved in a large amount of water. In order to avoid buildup with shampoo bars, it is important to follow with a dilute acid rinse. But whether that acid is vinegar or something else is irrelevant. The reason I personally use white vinegar is that it's cheap, readily available, works for me, and I already have figured out the proper dilution. I would likely be just as successful with a different acid, I just don't want to switch. :)

poli
October 28th, 2016, 09:08 AM
You could just soak the hair in a vinegar rinse. Or you could try a full rinse with something like citric acid powder dissolved in a large amount of water. In order to avoid buildup with shampoo bars, it is important to follow with a dilute acid rinse. But whether that acid is vinegar or something else is irrelevant. The reason I personally use white vinegar is that it's cheap, readily available, works for me, and I already have figured out the proper dilution. I would likely be just as successful with a different acid, I just don't want to switch. :)

Thank you animetor7. I decided to do clarifying wash next time and give shampoo bars another chance with acid rinses just on the length. I think I really want it to work, so I'm willing to stick with it for awhile. But if this adjustment period lasts longer than another few weeks I might give up.

Mrstran
October 28th, 2016, 12:40 PM
What is the difference between organic shampoo and shampoo bars?

Or, why are shampoo bars used so much in the LHC? I'm still new to all this and I keep seeing mentions of shampoo bars, and each time I drive myself crazy trying to figure out why they are so popular.

Silverbleed
October 28th, 2016, 01:26 PM
I've got my own reasons, but I wouldn't be surprised if everyone has a different story.

For me, it's first of all the ingredients. I'm an allergic person :'D Can't handle a lot of stuff. When it comes to shampoo and conditioner, I know sulfates are an issue for my scalp and hands. Synthetic perfume burn my eyes. But there's also something in conditioners that burn my hands, I'm not sure which one causes it yet. It's a very annoying experience. I don't have any of this with shampoo bars. Since it contains only oils, I also feel much more comfortable with it.

Second, availability. In the USA it's much easier to get sulfate and silicone free products. Where I live, not so much. Plus it often has a big price tag to it. Shampoo bars on the other hand are incredibly cheap especially if I look at how often I'm able to use it.

Third, it works for me. I've been trying a lot of products, I've spend way too much on products I had to throw out/give away. Last year I tried the shampoo bar (I've never heard of it before, I never stood still by the fact there was solid soap specially for hair) and it's giving me such good result, I actually started to like my hair (I've hated it my whole entire life). So I'm sticking to it c:

animetor7
October 28th, 2016, 02:30 PM
What is the difference between organic shampoo and shampoo bars?

Or, why are shampoo bars used so much in the LHC? I'm still new to all this and I keep seeing mentions of shampoo bars, and each time I drive myself crazy trying to figure out why they are so popular.

A main difference between organic shampoos and shampoo bars is that most organic liquid shampoos use detergents as the surfactant used to cleanse. Shampoo bars on the other hand use (with the exception of lush and a few others) soap, saponified oil, as a surfactant. For me that makes a huge difference because I have eczema which is aggravated by detergents. I think this is a common reason why people like shampoo bars, detergents can aggravate all sorts of allergies and skin conditions. Another reason people may switch is that generally soap is a gentler surfactant than detergents.

Mrstran
October 28th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Thank you both for the info! That really helped me out a lot. I'm trying to learn as much as I can. This is so that I can decide what would be appropriate for my hair in its current (fried) condition; as well as later when it is heathy. I'm taking extra precautions right now to avoid breakage.

northstargal
October 31st, 2016, 02:43 PM
i just joined the LHC after reading all 767 pages of this thread. Whew! I have been using CV poo bars for a few months and have been experimenting with different samples. I live in a very hard water area so even ACV rinses can't keep all the hard water and soap build-up out. I've recently started washing with purified/bottled water and that is making a huge difference.

cassandraj
October 31st, 2016, 03:12 PM
i just joined the LHC after reading all 767 pages of this thread. Whew! I have been using CV poo bars for a few months and have been experimenting with different samples. I live in a very hard water area so even ACV rinses can't keep all the hard water and soap build-up out. I've recently started washing with purified/bottled water and that is making a huge difference.

Welcome! What's your favorite CV bar?

northstargal
October 31st, 2016, 03:23 PM
Welcome! What's your favorite CV bar?

Thanks! So far, the Mud & Clay and Coconut Milk seem to be working the best. I plan to test all my CV samples with purified water washing and then again in hard water. Hopefully, I can find one or two that behave well in my hard water - otherwise I'll be buying a lot of bottled water because I love the poo bars. I also just bought some Sweet Creek and Apple Valley samples, too!

Chromis
October 31st, 2016, 03:35 PM

:cheer:

I find with super hard water, mix of citric acid and ACV works much better!

northstargal
October 31st, 2016, 03:44 PM
:cheer:

I find with super hard water, mix of citric acid and ACV works much better![/QUOTE]

Hi Chromis! Yes, I should add that idea to my experiments. I've never looked forward to washing my hair until I started collecting all these poo bar samples. Now, my hair can't get dirty enough, fast enough! ;) It will take quite awhile to use all of these little bars since I wash my hair about every 3 days.

Chromis
October 31st, 2016, 04:00 PM

Hi Chromis! Yes, I should add that idea to my experiments. I've never looked forward to washing my hair until I started collecting all these poo bar samples. Now, my hair can't get dirty enough, fast enough! ;) It will take quite awhile to use all of these little bars since I wash my hair about every 3 days.[/QUOTE]

Oh I understand this well! I only wash once a week or so and I like to use each thing up before I try another :laugh:

Silverbleed
October 31st, 2016, 04:10 PM
My hair was craving for something different so I put back my butter bar and my hair is happy again (http://i.imgur.com/E3QTPMil.jpg) :o It's still a bit dry but I think that will clear up after the next few washes.

cassandraj
October 31st, 2016, 04:14 PM
My hair was craving for something different so I put back my butter bar and my hair is happy again (http://i.imgur.com/E3QTPMil.jpg) :o It's still a bit dry but I think that will clear up after the next few washes.

:crush::inlove:

cassandraj
October 31st, 2016, 04:16 PM
I always notice my hair gets more wavy when I'm using shampoo bars, whereas normally, my hair is pretty straight with a slight curl under (one side goes out and the other side goes in, like a J lol). I also notice more waves when I have longer hair...right now, it's short enough that there's not much going on.

Does anyone else find this?

northstargal
October 31st, 2016, 05:01 PM

Your hair is lovely! I just got a sample of the butter bar. I'm planning to try it only as conditioner on my length.

northstargal
October 31st, 2016, 05:03 PM
I always notice my hair gets more wavy when I'm using shampoo bars, whereas normally, my hair is pretty straight with a slight curl under (one side goes out and the other side goes in, like a J lol). I also notice more waves when I have longer hair...right now, it's short enough that there's not much going on.

Yes, I have always had wavy hair, but it has gotten more so with the shampoo bars. Instead of 2a, sometimes 2b, I'm 2b to 2c.

rags
October 31st, 2016, 05:20 PM
Chromis, what is your AVC/citric acid ratio, please? I'm trying desperately to get poo bars to work for me again but alas, they do not want to. My beloved shampoo has been discontinued and while I have enough put back for at least a year, sooner or later I'll have to switch to something else. :wail: So I'm experimenting now, while I can.

The other thing I find is that washing twice (I have to, even with my thin hair!) and doing the rinse seems harder physically for me than S/C washing. Or even CWC. And sometimes, physically, I just can't do it. (for those who don't know me, I've a lot of medical problems). I've been having a lot of too-dirty hair lately! Argh. I really wish I could make these work without resorting to distilled water. My water just hates them.

Chromis
October 31st, 2016, 09:06 PM
Chromis, what is your AVC/citric acid ratio, please? I'm trying desperately to get poo bars to work for me again but alas, they do not want to. My beloved shampoo has been discontinued and while I have enough put back for at least a year, sooner or later I'll have to switch to something else. :wail: So I'm experimenting now, while I can.

The other thing I find is that washing twice (I have to, even with my thin hair!) and doing the rinse seems harder physically for me than S/C washing. Or even CWC. And sometimes, physically, I just can't do it. (for those who don't know me, I've a lot of medical problems). I've been having a lot of too-dirty hair lately! Argh. I really wish I could make these work without resorting to distilled water. My water just hates them.

So, my mix before we got our water softener was a *lot* stronger than what I see most others use here. I put a good glug of ACV in a two cup measure (about to the lowest line) and a scant 1/8 tsp of citric acid (a 1/16 is perfect if you have it!). Now I can use just one or the other and am able to use a little bit smaller slosh of ACV.

poli
November 1st, 2016, 02:29 AM
I finally got something right. Used vinegar (white vine vinegar) rinse much stronger than before. The ph was around 3 (yes I got ph strips to check) and a shampoo sample that was less "heavy" with moisturizing ingredients. Not all hope is lost :)

Chromis
November 1st, 2016, 06:08 AM
I should also mention that although I like a pretty strong mix, I also do not leave it on. I dip my ends in the cup measure briefly, then pour it over my scalp. Then I tip my head back for a moment into the path of the shower. I find it doesn't distribute very well otherwise. Tipping my head back real quick I can feel my hair go from not smooth to smooth.

If I do not do an acid rinse, my hair feels kind of coated and sticky and hard to comb. I have not tried "normal" shampoo again since we got a softener, but before when I briefly experimented with it, I found my hair still needed that rinse. So if you have hard water, especially super hard water, I would still recommend the acidic rinse! On the bright side, shampoo bars can still be used as soap or resell easily here. The rest of the regular shampoo on the the other hand I use to wash my boar bristle brush and man is that going to last a long time.

Silverbleed
November 1st, 2016, 06:29 AM
:crush::inlove:

:flower:

Your hair is lovely! I just got a sample of the butter bar. I'm planning to try it only as conditioner on my length.

Thank you!
Yeah the reason I quit using the butter bar this summer was because it was too moisturizing, and my scalp got dirty a bit quicker than usual. This seems shifted to dryness now so it's an ideal time to switch. Using it only on my lengths during summer is actually a really good idea!

Yeah, me! Although the acv rinse after brings it back to normal again though, so if I left that out it'd be much more wavy.
Currently I'm trying to avoid it from curling up as much as I have to try it up a lot during fall and it's much more difficult when it's wavy. So I'm using a stronger acv solution. I also bun my hair when it dries to give my scalp a straighter result, it tends to create very odd waves right from my scalp.

Ginger Power
November 1st, 2016, 07:14 AM
I wanted to share something about solid shampoo but I'm a bit confused right now. Are you talking about shampoo bars or about hair soap ? Is this the right thread ? :confused:
I tried looking for a thread about solid shampoo but I only found Lush-related topics... and thank god, solid shampoo exists not exclusively in Lush stores ! :o

Silverbleed
November 1st, 2016, 07:16 AM
Yeah solid shampoo is the same as a shampoo bar, it's a solid block of soap specially for hair.
I don't use Lush though, because it still contains sulfates which is the whole reason I quit using liquid lmao.

Ginger Power
November 1st, 2016, 07:25 AM
Yeah solid shampoo is the same as a shampoo bar, it's a solid block of soap specially for hair.
I don't use Lush though, because it still contains sulfates which is the whole reason I quit using liquid lmao.
I'm not talking about soap-based solid shampoo, and I'm not talking about sulfates either. I found a solid shampoo with no sulfates in it (and it's not made with soap) and I wanted to talk about it but I think everyone on this thread is talking about soap... so it's not the right thread, right ? :confused:
Maybe I should just start a new one ?

Chromis
November 1st, 2016, 07:28 AM
People have talked about Lush and other bars in this thread before. Most of us are talking about soap-based bars, but not all and we are a curious bunch!

Silverbleed
November 1st, 2016, 07:34 AM
Could you share it with us? c:
Personally I don't think it matters that much if it's actually considered 'soap' or something. If it's solid and for your hair, I think it also fits in here?

animetor7
November 1st, 2016, 07:52 AM
I'm not talking about soap-based solid shampoo, and I'm not talking about sulfates either. I found a solid shampoo with no sulfates in it (and it's not made with soap) and I wanted to talk about it but I think everyone on this thread is talking about soap... so it's not the right thread, right ? :confused:
Maybe I should just start a new one ?

I think we mainly talk about soap based shampoo bars here because they tend to be more different to use as compared to liquid shampoo than bars that are literally solid shampoo and not soap. Soap based shampoo is also a bit more finicky to use.

Ginger Power
November 1st, 2016, 07:55 AM
Okay, if everyone is okay with it, I'll share it here ! :)

So today I purchased a solid shampoo from Sativa, it's an artisanal shop based in France. You can look at the online shop here : http://www.savons-sativa.fr/
They're making soaps, solid shampoo, solid conditonners with natural and biodegradable ingredients only, they don't test on animals and some of their products are vegan.
If I talk about it today it's because of the composition of their solid shampoos : I took the "IL EST D'JUNON" one ( http://www.savons-sativa.fr/il-est-d-junon-f103790.html ) but they're all containing the same surfactant : it's the sodium cocoyl isethionate ! It's quite exceptional because it's very rare to have sodium cocoyl isethionate as main surfactant in a product !!! :D
It's an amino acid-based surfactant that has the ability to foam a lot while being really soft and having a conditionning role (yes, for a surfactant, it's pretty amazing). It can almost never be the main surfactant because it's really difficult to formulate, mainly because it doesn't go well with water... that's why we can only find it as main surfactant in solid shampoo. Moreover, this surfactant is really expensive so usually fabricants prefer using sulfates (cheaper but effective).

I am very excited to have found this, I can't wait to try it !!! :joy: Sadly the shop closes until the 7th so I'll have to wait at least a week. :(

samanthaa
November 1st, 2016, 08:03 AM
ETA: I responded to the wrong thing. Nevermind.

rags
November 1st, 2016, 08:59 AM
Thanks, Chromis! So a couple of you use stronger ratios. Hmm, maybe I'll try that before throwing in the towel! I periodically have to do rinses anyway, or else use a chelating shampoo, no matter what wash method I use (just not every wash with S/C). My water is horrid.

cassandraj
November 2nd, 2016, 09:33 AM
Question:

How do you know if your acid rinse is right or if it's just transition?

I've been using about 1 tablespoon of WV to 8oz of water, and my hair is still slightly waxy and grimy looking after it dries. It's been so long since I've used a bar, that I can't remember the difference between transition hair and not acidic enough rinse?

Chromis
November 2nd, 2016, 10:10 AM
I have never had transition hair and have a theory that the transition period is simple the time it takes me people to find a good bar/acidic mix combo.

If it still feels waxy/coated, that is my cue to increase the acidity. One tablespoon to 8 oz is a pretty weak mix for ACV, not sure for white vinegar.

cassandraj
November 2nd, 2016, 11:32 AM
I have never had transition hair and have a theory that the transition period is simple the time it takes me people to find a good bar/acidic mix combo.

If it still feels waxy/coated, that is my cue to increase the acidity. One tablespoon to 8 oz is a pretty weak mix for ACV, not sure for white vinegar.

I'm wondering if that's the problem; just too week of an acid...hmm. my birthday is today, and we're going out for a birthday dinner, so I'd like to have hair that doesn't look greasy while I'm at a fancy restaurant lol

I wonder what the correct ratio is for lime juice?

cassandraj
November 2nd, 2016, 03:56 PM
Aha! It was the wrong acid rinse ratio! I went for 3 tablespoons in about 9 ounces of water, and my hair looks and feels great!

northstargal
November 3rd, 2016, 04:44 PM
Aha! It was the wrong acid rinse ratio! I went for 3 tablespoons in about 9 ounces of water, and my hair looks and feels great!

I'm glad to hear you found a rinse that worked. But...that does sound like a lot of vinegar for just over 1 cup of water though. I'd be a little concerned about how acidic that rinse might be to your hair - if you use that same strength all the time.

For those of you who have been using ACV rinses for a long time, what do you think about this rinse ratio? I've only been using rinses for a few months and I'm noticing some damage to my hair. Of course, I'm paying so much more attention to my hair now with all my shampoo bar testing - it's possible I had the breakage, fly-aways earlier in the spring and just didn't notice.

animetor7
November 3rd, 2016, 06:32 PM
I'm glad to hear you found a rinse that worked. But...that does sound like a lot of vinegar for just over 1 cup of water though. I'd be a little concerned about how acidic that rinse might be to your hair - if you use that same strength all the time.

For those of you who have been using ACV rinses for a long time, what do you think about this rinse ratio? I've only been using rinses for a few months and I'm noticing some damage to my hair. Of course, I'm paying so much more attention to my hair now with all my shampoo bar testing - it's possible I had the breakage, fly-aways earlier in the spring and just didn't notice.

If you're using ACV that should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it. The main way that all acids cause damage is by being far more acidic than the tissue their touching and wreaking havoc on it. ACV has a pH of about 4.5-5 depending on its age and concentration (when sold in grocery stores in jugs), skin and hair has a pH of about 5.5. So the pH range is very similar to skin even before it's diluted, and the dilution will help make it even less concentrated and closer to skin's pH which means that it shouldn't cause damage. Other types of acids may be more acidic (have a lower pH) and will be more likely to cause damage if not well diluted, but with ACV, you're fine. :)

cassandraj
November 3rd, 2016, 08:37 PM
I did about half & half white vinegar and ACV

Chromis
November 3rd, 2016, 08:44 PM

My rinses were stronger than that for years, heck might still be! Never had a problem from it.

lithostoic
November 3rd, 2016, 08:49 PM
I now have ACV, but I really don't want to start until I have a showerhead filter! Not even sure the showerhead at this house can use one.

animetor7
November 3rd, 2016, 08:52 PM
I did about half & half white vinegar and ACV

White vinegar typically has a pH of about 2.4, so personally I'd dilute it a bit more. Maybe next time try pure ACV at the same dilution and see if it works? If not you could always add the white vinegar back in and use a bit more water. But as long as you don't seem to be getting damage from it and it doesn't irritate your skin, it's probably alright. Also I don't know if you've mentioned before, but do you have hard water? Most hard water is at least slightly alkaline, and this will change the pH of the acids once you mix them in, as alkaline water will react with and "use up" more of the acid than neutral water does.

Chromis
November 4th, 2016, 05:39 AM
I now have ACV, but I really don't want to start until I have a showerhead filter! Not even sure the showerhead at this house can use one.

I had one for a little while, but I don't think it really did anything. Carbon filters don't work well when the water is warm and they get clogged fast. You need to change the filters very frequently for it to still be effective. Also, they mostly take out chlorine, no impact to hard water unless you are getting a very, very expensive one (these will be quite bulky and have a two-stage filter). Also, if your municipality uses chloromines like my current one does, most of these cannot remove them so this is something to check if it worries you! There is nothing shampoo bar specific about chlorine though really.

summergame
November 4th, 2016, 08:42 AM
If my shampoos are empty I will start using shampoo bars. Just checked my water hardness and it's between 23 and 31 °F so it's kind of hard water we have. I will try to do an ACV rince from now.

animetor7
November 4th, 2016, 08:50 AM
If my shampoos are empty I will start using shampoo bars. Just checked my water hardness and it's between 23 and 31 °F so it's kind of hard water we have. I will try to do an ACV rince from now.

Summergame, your water hardness has to do with its mineral content and pH, not its temperature. That's not going to help in figuring out whether you need an acid rinse or not, and what strength. Unless you meant a different unit? :confused:

summergame
November 4th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Summergame, your water hardness has to do with its mineral content and pH, not its temperature. That's not going to help in figuring out whether you need an acid rinse or not, and what strength. Unless you meant a different unit? :confused:

Okay, I saw the word water hardness and then a rank so I didn't see that its about temperature. Can't find anything else except a whole rank here: http://www.farys.be/samenstelling-leveringsgebied-2 .

I'm a noob in this so can't figure out what should be wrong, I only see that it says on a page that my city has hard water.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, my English is not that good at all. :oops:

Silverbleed
November 4th, 2016, 09:11 AM
The F is the French approach if I remember correctly. I use the German one, which is D or DH.

summergame
November 4th, 2016, 09:17 AM
The F is the French approach if I remember correctly. I use the German one, which is D or DH.

The D or DH here is 13 to 17. I find nothing more on the websites I've visited.
Thank you for the correct illustration Silverbleed! :flower:

Silverbleed
November 4th, 2016, 09:27 AM
The D or DH here is 13 to 17. I find nothing more on the websites I've visited.
Thank you for the correct illustration Silverbleed! :flower:

It also took me a long time to find information about it so don't worry about it xD I experienced the same thing. In the end I just know what I've got and I'm happy about that lmao. Other than that I also have no clue how to figure it out. I'm lucky there's a big map of our city available mentioning the differences.

I've got 4,6 DH, that's a big difference from yours :eek:

summergame
November 4th, 2016, 09:58 AM
It also took me a long time to find information about it so don't worry about it xD I experienced the same thing. In the end I just know what I've got and I'm happy about that lmao. Other than that I also have no clue how to figure it out. I'm lucky there's a big map of our city available mentioning the differences.

I've got 4,6 DH, that's a big difference from yours :eek:

Well yes indeed, your water is not that hard at all then? or my water is super hard...

northstargal
November 4th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Here's what I've found on the ph of vinegar added to water. I don't know if ACV would be the same and your water would vary, too of course. But, this is why I'm wondering about the strength of these rinses. It looks like the ph stays pretty acidic.

"Acetic acid (vinegar): Vinegar can dissolve calcium carbonate - so vinegar rinses may help remove hard water deposits from your hair if hard water makes your hair rough and unruly. But getting enough vinegar to actually do that without going too low in pH may be difficult."

1 tablespoon (15 ml) in 1 cup (230 ml) water = pH ~3.3
1 teaspoon (5 ml) in 1 cup water (230 ml) = pH 3.7
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) in 1 cup water (230 ml) = pH 4.5

from http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/ph-of-common-homemade-rinses.html

animetor7
November 4th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Here's what I've found on the ph of vinegar added to water. I don't know if ACV would be the same and your water would vary, too of course. But, this is why I'm wondering about the strength of these rinses. It looks like the ph stays pretty acidic.

"Acetic acid (vinegar): Vinegar can dissolve calcium carbonate - so vinegar rinses may help remove hard water deposits from your hair if hard water makes your hair rough and unruly. But getting enough vinegar to actually do that without going too low in pH may be difficult."

1 tablespoon (15 ml) in 1 cup (230 ml) water = pH ~3.3
1 teaspoon (5 ml) in 1 cup water (230 ml) = pH 3.7
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) in 1 cup water (230 ml) = pH 4.5

from http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/ph-of-common-homemade-rinses.html
This is mostly correct. The problem is that although acetic acid is present in vinegar, vinegar is not entirely composed of acetic acid, and different types of vinegars contain different amounts of acetic acid. Based on the pH I would guess that these dilutions and their respective pHs were done with white vinegar which contains much more acetic acid than ACV. Identical dilutions done with ACV would have a higher pH.

And summergame that makes more sense. I thought you were talking about degrees Fahrenheit and was very confused. And hey now we all know about a new unit of measurement. :)

summergame
November 4th, 2016, 11:47 AM

And summergame that makes more sense. I thought you were talking about degrees Fahrenheit and was very confused. And hey now we all know about a new unit of measurement. :)

No problem :flower:

cassandraj
November 4th, 2016, 04:08 PM
White vinegar typically has a pH of about 2.4, so personally I'd dilute it a bit more. Maybe next time try pure ACV at the same dilution and see if it works? If not you could always add the white vinegar back in and use a bit more water. But as long as you don't seem to be getting damage from it and it doesn't irritate your skin, it's probably alright. Also I don't know if you've mentioned before, but do you have hard water? Most hard water is at least slightly alkaline, and this will change the pH of the acids once you mix them in, as alkaline water will react with and "use up" more of the acid than neutral water does.

I'm actually not sure if I have hard water or not. We recently moved from Wisconsin to Alabama...my skin and hair has had a hard time adjusting, but I also was 37 weeks pregnant when we moved, and then had a baby a week later. I was blaming a lot of stuff on hormones :shrug:

northstargal
November 4th, 2016, 05:21 PM
This is mostly correct. The problem is that although acetic acid is present in vinegar, vinegar is not entirely composed of acetic acid, and different types of vinegars contain different amounts of acetic acid. Based on the pH I would guess that these dilutions and their respective pHs were done with white vinegar which contains much more acetic acid than ACV. Identical dilutions done with ACV would have a higher pH.

:)

I read the whole article and these figures are for ACV. I just received a ph meter today in the mail. I tested my Target purified gallon of water with the cheap Target brand ACV (not the organic with the mother) and I got this same reading for 1 Tb ACV into 1 cup of purified water. I'll do more tests this weekend and share if anyone is interested.

animetor7
November 4th, 2016, 05:38 PM
I read the whole article and these figures are for ACV. I just received a ph meter today in the mail. I tested my Target purified gallon of water with the cheap Target brand ACV (not the organic with the mother) and I got this same reading for 1 Tb ACV into 1 cup of purified water. I'll do more tests this weekend and share if anyone is interested.

That's odd. The standard pH of pure ACV at it's standard acetic acid concentration hovers around 4.5 and water is around a pH of 7 unless it's particularly soft or hard, so in theory at least dilutions using water should raise from a pH of 4.5 higher more towards water's pH depending on the exact amount of each in the dilution. I may have to break out the pH meter on this one and buy some ACV for myself. And I read the article, she just says acetic acid and in parentheses vinegar. But that's not strictly true. Like I said, acetic acid is the acidic component in vinegar, but it's a low concentration in vinegar, typically between 5 and 10% by weight depending on the exact vinegar you're talking about. Do you know what percentage your ACV reads? If so I can use that to determine it's molar concentration and pH in different dilutions. Perhaps targets brand has a higher acetic acid concentration for some reason, that would indeed lower it's pH more into the typically stronger white vinegar range.

Mrstran
November 4th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Have any of you ever used Chagrin valley shampoo bars? I'm looking into their coconut milk bar, and may purchase a sample. I've never used a shampoo bar before, but have been reading up a lot on the advantages, adjusting to them, tips, and so on. I think I'm ready to buy.

The only things I am unsure of is if this is a good brand, and if it is maybe too soon for me to start jumping into more natural products. My hair is badly damaged. I'm not sure if organic is quite enough for it at this point.

A part of me is thinking I should stick with heavy products for my damaged hair, and use organics later when my hair has grown out natural. ?

....being new at this stuff stinks.

Chromis
November 4th, 2016, 08:44 PM
Have any of you ever used Chagrin valley shampoo bars? I'm looking into their coconut milk bar, and may purchase a sample. I've never used a shampoo bar before, but have been reading up a lot on the advantages, adjusting to them, tips, and so on. I think I'm ready to buy.

The only things I am unsure of is if this is a good brand, and if it is maybe too soon for me to start jumping into more natural products. My hair is badly damaged. I'm not sure if organic is quite enough for it at this point.

A part of me is thinking I should stick with heavy products for my damaged hair, and use organics later when my hair has grown out natural. ?

Yes! Lots of us love their bars and you will often see them abbreviated as CV in the thread. I'm not sure if I have tried that one, but their bars are my personal favourites (I love the nettle, marshmallow babassu, herb garden, and cafe moreno the very best)

animetor7
November 4th, 2016, 08:53 PM

As chromis said, lots of us love them!! The coconut milk is one of my favorites, but I'd buy a few samples of different kinds and see which your hair likes. :)

cassandraj
November 5th, 2016, 10:29 AM
So I switched proportions to 2 tablespoons of ACV and 1 tablespoon white vinegar in 9 ounces of water....

And it didn't clarify as well as I'd hoped. My hair is a tad stringy and piecey, which is a great look for a trip to the zoo :eyeroll:

northstargal
November 5th, 2016, 10:45 AM

Yes, I have many, many sample bars from them and the Coconut Milk is one of my favorites! It's a great bar for many hair types - cleans well and also moisturizes nicely - for me anyway. As others have said, I recommend you buy a couple more samples so you can compare, maybe one even more moisturizing - like Babassu Marshmallow or Olive & Babassu and one considered more cleansing, like Summer Sunshine.

northstargal
November 5th, 2016, 10:48 AM
So I switched proportions to 2 tablespoons of ACV and 1 tablespoon white vinegar in 9 ounces of water....

And it didn't clarify as well as I'd hoped. My hair is a tad stringy and piecey, which is a great look for a trip to the zoo :eyeroll:

Ah bummer...well at least you're narrowing in on what percentage works for you. Out of curiosity, are you using tap water or bottled water - hard or soft water?

northstargal
November 5th, 2016, 11:22 AM
That's odd. The standard pH of pure ACV at it's standard acetic acid concentration hovers around 4.5 and water is around a pH of 7 unless it's particularly soft or hard, .... I may have to break out the pH meter on this one and buy some ACV for myself. And I read the article, she just says acetic acid and in parentheses vinegar.... Do you know what percentage your ACV reads? .

@animetor7 Just curious where you are getting a ph of approx 4.5 for ACV? Everything I've read online so far gives a range of 2.2-3 ph for vinegar, including ACV. I even read a couple articles that said Bragg's ACV is approx. 2.85 ph.

The author of the article posted in the comments section "Bragg's vinegar is 5% acidity, so the pH should be the same as the ACV I tested when used in the dilutions in the vinegar section - I started at 1 tablespoon per cup of distilled water."

My bottle of cheap ACV vinegar is 5% and my calibrated ph meter reads approx. 2.55 ph, straight out of the bottle. I tested in purified bottled Target water (soft), so tap water would bring the ph up a little.

I'm only posting this as an FYI to everyone. I started using ACV rinses about 3-4 months ago and I just followed the general advice to try 1 TB ACV to about 1 cup water and go from there to find what works. I assumed that these rinse ratios not too acidic for my hair. That may be the case for many, but I'm finding my rinses have been more acidic than I thought they were or wanted them to be.

So, just a PSA for everyone to consider how acidic your hair rinses might be - it definitely depends on your water source ph and how much vinegar you add.

northstargal
November 5th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Another interesting tidbit from the Bragg website...

Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar
pH = 3.075
Concentration/Strength = 63 grain
Acetic Acid = 5.14 %

animetor7
November 5th, 2016, 12:47 PM
@animetor7 Just curious where you are getting a ph of approx 4.5 for ACV? Everything I've read online so far gives a range of 2.2-3 ph for vinegar, including ACV. I even read a couple articles that said Bragg's ACV is approx. 2.85 ph.

The author of the article posted in the comments section "Bragg's vinegar is 5% acidity, so the pH should be the same as the ACV I tested when used in the dilutions in the vinegar section - I started at 1 tablespoon per cup of distilled water."

My bottle of cheap ACV vinegar is 5% and my calibrated ph meter reads approx. 2.55 ph, straight out of the bottle. I tested in purified bottled Target water (soft), so tap water would bring the ph up a little.

I'm only posting this as an FYI to everyone. I started using ACV rinses about 3-4 months ago and I just followed the general advice to try 1 TB ACV to about 1 cup water and go from there to find what works. I assumed that these rinse ratios not too acidic for my hair. That may be the case for many, but I'm finding my rinses have been more acidic than I thought they were or wanted them to be.

So, just a PSA for everyone to consider how acidic your hair rinses might be - it definitely depends on your water source ph and how much vinegar you add.

Ah, it was in the comments section, I was just looking at the article. I'm getting my pH from having helped neighbors make ACV for years. I grew up in a farming town and they made it and sold it for years. They made it just by allowing apples to ferment in barrels with water, not adding anything to it or adjusting the amounts once the lid was on or anything. And they tested the pH before bottling it to see if it was "ready", which they always said was at a pH of 4.5 for the proper amount of acetic acid to have developed for ACV to be effective, but gentle for cooking and other purposes. Using pH is a more accurate way of gauging acidity than using a percentage by volume or weight. The higher percentage and measuring by volume or weight percentage makes sense though in terms of the results you're getting, thanks for explaining what percentage you're using.And using distilled water would certainly affect her results. Distilled water becomes very mildly acidic once it is exposed to air because it reacts with any CO2 that is present to form carbonic acid, so that can affect results, it's why in the lab where I work we're very careful when using distilled water that it has as little contact with air as possible. Normal water doesn't do this because it's regularly exposed to air and so what carbonic acid will form has already formed. Personally, I would just test the pH of your water and then test the pH of the resulting dilution to get the true strength of your acid rinse, it takes the false assumption that distilled water is at a pH of 7 out of the equation.

And I wouldn't trust Bragg's website on science, when I went searching to see if there were stronger concentrations of ACV out there that you were talking about I came across their site and they claim that their vinegar contains "Mother of vinegar" which " occurs naturally as strand like enzymes of connected protein molecules". That's not what mother of vinegar is, it's a mixture of cellulose and the bacteria that form acetic acid during fermentation. And there aren't "strand like enzymes of connected protein molecules" floating about, enzymes occur inside living cells unless they are made in a lab or the cells are very carefully lysed, period. And that's before getting into the fact that "strand like enzymes of connected protein molecules" is utter gobbledygook in terms of science. It's as though they took a lot of biochemistry terms and shoved them in a blender which spat that out.

Long rant for, be careful what sources of information you trust online.

As for the PSA about water and such, absolutely yes! pH strips are accurate enough for the purposes of figuring out relative vinegar rinse strength and are readily available and pretty cheap. This can tell you what sort of water you're working with which gives you a better idea of how strong your rinse needs to be.

ETA: rant sources are my chemistry and biochemistry courses at Uni, I'm a bio major and chem minor, so I've sort of forgotten exactly where I first learned some of this information at this point.

northstargal
November 5th, 2016, 01:19 PM
I'm getting my pH from having helped neighbors make ACV for years. I grew up in a farming town and they made it and sold it for years. They made it just by allowing apples to ferment in barrels with water, not adding anything to it or adjusting the amounts once the lid was on or anything. And they tested the pH before bottling it to see if it was "ready", which they always said was at a pH of 4.5 for the proper amount of acetic acid to have developed for ACV to be effective,...And I wouldn't trust Bragg's website on science,....

PSA continued: :D There appears to be a big difference in ph levels from homemade ACV fermenting on a farm per @animetor7 experience and what a general consumer might pick up at a grocery store. I listed the Braggs site only for the info that their ACV is listed as more acidic at 3 ph vs. @animetor7 experience of a farm fermented ACV @4.5. I don't take online website info as fact, which is why I bought my own ph meter (not strips) calibrated it properly and tested the actual bottles of ACV I bought, which comes out at 2.55ph, straight out of the bottle. My data from further testing of my ACV vinegar and water also matches closely with the article from science-yhairblog that I posted earlier. My PSA is just to make others aware that ACV vinegar CAN BE more acidic than you might have believed or read online. It can be as low as 2.2 ph, mine tests 2.55, if you use Bragg's, it can be around 3 ph. These lower ph values make a more acidic rinse - in my case my rinse was 3.3 ph with 1 TB ACV and 1 cup bottled purified water. I was surprised to learn this when I tested and I'll be adjusting my rinse so it is not so acidic. Yippee for technology! ;)

animetor7
November 5th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Yeah, pH meters are great! Strips are just good enough if you don't want to buy a meter. :)

cassandraj
November 5th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Ah bummer...well at least you're narrowing in on what percentage works for you. Out of curiosity, are you using tap water or bottled water - hard or soft water?

Just tap water, and I don't think it's hard, but I've only lived here for a few months, so I'm not sure where it is on a scale of soft to hard.

cassandraj
November 10th, 2016, 11:22 AM
It seems no matter what I try, I can't get this acid rinse down! :shrug:

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 11:32 AM
I might try shampoo bars once my hair is a more considerable length. I can see how they might be nice for washing really long hair.

animetor7
November 10th, 2016, 12:04 PM
It seems no matter what I try, I can't get this acid rinse down! :shrug:

Have you tried not using one? You might not need it yet if your signature picture is an accurate depiction of your length. My scalp down to about my ears or a bit past doesn't need a rinse at all when I do scalp only washes, it's only the length where water hardness, mineral buildup, and soap scum become more of an issue in terms of tangling etc. It might be that your hair isn't long enough to need an acid rinse yet. True, skin pH is naturally about 5.5, but it will return to that on its own too, an acid rinse is just the best way to do that quickly.

cassandraj
November 10th, 2016, 04:01 PM
My hair is a tad bit longer now (I took that picture right after I chopped about 6-7 inches off, September 29), but I think I do need the acid rinse. I do follow the bar with conditioner and then the rinse...so maybe the conditioner alone would be okay?
But after the last several rinses, I have this stringy, lank hair that looks like I haven't showered in weeks. It's really frustrating! :confused:

Silverbleed
November 10th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Have you tried going without conditioner at all? :hmm:

Just wondering, because I found out my hair doesn't like conditioner at all, even though I kind of wanted it to like it hahaha. So I'm not using it anymore.

animetor7
November 10th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Personally, I'd cut the conditioner before cutting the acid rinse. Shampoo bars are very gently, and ACV itself can help close down the cuticle like conditioner does, so you might not need conditioner at all.

cassandraj
November 10th, 2016, 07:39 PM
I haven't...maybe that's why the acid isn't breaking down the soap ? Because it's too busy working on the conditioner?

I just have SO much conditioner from me trying co :rolleyes:

northstargal
November 11th, 2016, 09:02 AM
I haven't...maybe that's why the acid isn't breaking down the soap ? Because it's too busy working on the conditioner?

I just have SO much conditioner from me trying co :rolleyes:

That's a possibility. Also, I've read numerous posts in this huge thread that Too Much vinegar in your rinse can cause greasy, lanky looking hair.

If you're up for an experiment, you might want to try washing your hair once with purifed or distilled water and then rinse as usual. If your hair looks and feels great afterwards, then you know you're battling hard water minerals and soap build-up from it. If your hair is still greasy, stringy, etc that would point to over-conditioning with the ACV rinse and conditioner.

Good luck! Keep us posted :)

cassandraj
November 11th, 2016, 10:51 AM
That's a possibility. Also, I've read numerous posts in this huge thread that Too Much vinegar in your rinse can cause greasy, lanky looking hair.

If you're up for an experiment, you might want to try washing your hair once with purifed or distilled water and then rinse as usual. If your hair looks and feels great afterwards, then you know you're battling hard water minerals and soap build-up from it. If your hair is still greasy, stringy, etc that would point to over-conditioning with the ACV rinse and conditioner.

Good luck! Keep us posted :)

Next wash, I'll eliminate the conditioner, and go back to a basic 2 tbsp vinegar to 8 oz water and see what that does

poli
November 17th, 2016, 12:41 PM
My experiment with shampoo bars is partial success. I got the vinegar rinse right, I shed less, my scalp likes the bars and I can wash few times (for about a week) without any problems. But then I get build-up. Worse if I try to use a serum or oil or conditioner, anything with oil components really.
I'm going to keep using them but not exclusively. Anyways it was fun to find out about them :)

JohannaDutch
November 21st, 2016, 12:16 PM
There are 774 pages of information. But mostly I have seen the ones that discussed bought bars. I have not read about DIY, or I clicked on the wrong page numbers( I went all out random trough the pages). But has anyone has made these shampoo bars themself? I want to try and make them. It's looks like fun, little bit chemistry, and the fact it's SLS free.

pili
December 9th, 2016, 09:51 AM
So I've been bouncing around this thread the last couple of days. I used a shampoo bar as a kind of last resort to descuento my daughter's hair (bought at Whole Foods). I only found this thread after and I am thoroughly intrigued. I really want to get even more natural than I have been so I ordered a sampling of bars from Chagrin Valley. I did use the bar I got my daughter (this one (https://jrliggett.com/tea-tree-hemp-oil-shampoo-bar.html#product_tabs_review_tabbed)) and I was amazed at how tangle-free my hair was after the ACV rinse. However, I don't think it's exactly right for my hair, thus ordering the samples. I ordered:
Extra Honey Beer
Café Moreno
Olive & Babassu
Babassu Marsh Mello
Soapnuts shampoo
Carrot Milk Honey
Butter Bar Conditioner

I'm also going to look into different recipes for rinses.

sumidha
December 9th, 2016, 06:07 PM
There are 774 pages of information. But mostly I have seen the ones that discussed bought bars. I have not read about DIY, or I clicked on the wrong page numbers( I went all out random trough the pages). But has anyone has made these shampoo bars themself? I want to try and make them. It's looks like fun, little bit chemistry, and the fact it's SLS free.

I know there are members that make their own shampoo bars, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. There's this thread on soap making in the Crafts & Hobbies section that might be a good place to start: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139343

animetor7
December 9th, 2016, 06:10 PM
So I've been bouncing around this thread the last couple of days. I used a shampoo bar as a kind of last resort to descuento my daughter's hair (bought at Whole Foods). I only found this thread after and I am thoroughly intrigued. I really want to get even more natural than I have been so I ordered a sampling of bars from Chagrin Valley. I did use the bar I got my daughter (this one (https://jrliggett.com/tea-tree-hemp-oil-shampoo-bar.html#product_tabs_review_tabbed)) and I was amazed at how tangle-free my hair was after the ACV rinse. However, I don't think it's exactly right for my hair, thus ordering the samples. I ordered:
Extra Honey Beer
Café Moreno
Olive & Babassu
Babassu Marsh Mello
Soapnuts shampoo
Carrot Milk Honey
Butter Bar Conditioner

Welcome!! Experimenting is certainly the best way to find which bar (if any) is right for you. I would also caution that you don't have to use shampoo bars exclusively if you don't like everything about them, or if you need a different sort of cleansing sometimes. It's an easy trap to fall into. :) For example, shampoo bars aren't best for me when I want to only do a scalp wash, they are best for when I want to do a full length cleanse. Just something to keep in mind as you experiment. :) :flower:

pili
December 9th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Welcome!! Experimenting is certainly the best way to find which bar (if any) is right for you. I would also caution that you don't have to use shampoo bars exclusively if you don't like everything about them, or if you need a different sort of cleansing sometimes. It's an easy trap to fall into. :) For example, shampoo bars aren't best for me when I want to only do a scalp wash, they are best for when I want to do a full length cleanse. Just something to keep in mind as you experiment. :) :flower:

I will, thanks! At my length scalp only washes are not an issue. I still can't do proper buns.
ETA: I'm also doing some research to tweet what other things I can try. Do you have any suggestions?

animetor7
December 10th, 2016, 12:54 PM
I will, thanks! At my length scalp only washes are not an issue. I still can't do proper buns.
ETA: I'm also doing some research to tweet what other things I can try. Do you have any suggestions?

Ah, well eventually scalp washes can be extremely helpful when your hair is long enough that it takes forever to dry! As for other suggestions, what are you looking to change about your hair? Any specific problems? If not, I'd try introducing oils just on the ends and see if you like it, or CWC washing, which can help protect the ends. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53421

pili
December 10th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Ah, well eventually scalp washes can be extremely helpful when your hair is long enough that it takes forever to dry! As for other suggestions, what are you looking to change about your hair? Any specific problems? If not, I'd try introducing oils just on the ends and see if you like it, or CWC washing, which can help protect the ends. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53421

I'm not really trying to change my hair so much as my methods. I spend a lot of effort eating health and living healthy. I use natural cleaning product. I stopped wearing make-up and switched my skincare to natural oils. And then I go and put a bunch of synthetic crap in my hair. So my goal is to have my hair and scalp happy and healthy and long! I want to do this with all natural products, and i want to keep it simple. I've tried CWC with regular products and that didn't really make a difference for me. I'm trying to get away from excess. I have started experimenting with oils. I know my hair loves Olive and avocado oils. I also have a macadamia oil treatment (all natural) that works great on my hair. I'm looking out for others (coconut oil and my hair don't mix well and jojoba doesn't seem to do much).

DawnTR
December 11th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I have been mostly using the CV bars for about a month now. They are working well for giving me lots of volume and making my waves turn into curls. I noticed I started having some flakes on my forehead near my hairline. So don't know if I maybe just had soap on my face that I did not get all off, or if the soap is maybe a bit drying for my scalp. Or maybe used to much ACV that time...

So I have switched it up a bit and use a sulfate free shampoo here and there if I see flakes. Also making sure I wash the soap off my face really well and wiped some toner across my face after to just make sure there is no residue. Seems to be working.

I bought a lavender one (can't remember the name now), which I really like, it makes my white hairs nice and white. It seems a bit less moisturizing though, but still like it. I also still put a little leave in conditioner on my length (which is not that long), plus a little oil, and the shea moisture smoothie. So using the bar, plus doing LOC.

I also have the cafe moreno which seems more moisturizing but I do find that it turns my white hair a bit more dark blondish and blends the greys in with the brown. I normally don't really want this but some people might really find this useful. I did use it yesterday because I was going to my husband's Christmas party and thought maybe I should attempt to hide my grey roots a bit (I am growing it out), and it worked quite well I thought! Anyone who has an inch of grey roots they need to just blend once in awhile, the Cafe Moreno might be good.

Back to lavender for me in a few days because I like the white streak I am getting in front.

pili
December 11th, 2016, 09:43 AM
I have been mostly using the CV bars for about a month now. They are working well for giving me lots of volume and making my waves turn into curls. I noticed I started having some flakes on my forehead near my hairline. So don't know if I maybe just had soap on my face that I did not get all off, or if the soap is maybe a bit drying for my scalp. Or maybe used to much ACV that time...

So I have switched it up a bit and use a sulfate free shampoo here and there if I see flakes. Also making sure I wash the soap off my face really well and wiped some toner across my face after to just make sure there is no residue. Seems to be working.

I bought a lavender one (can't remember the name now), which I really like, it makes my white hairs nice and white. It seems a bit less moisturizing though, but still like it. I also still put a little leave in conditioner on my length (which is not that long), plus a little oil, and the shea moisture smoothie. So using the bar, plus doing LOC.

I also have the cafe moreno which seems more moisturizing but I do find that it turns my white hair a bit more dark blondish and blends the greys in with the brown. I normally don't really want this but some people might really find this useful. I did use it yesterday because I was going to my husband's Christmas party and thought maybe I should attempt to hide my grey roots a bit (I am growing it out), and it worked quite well I thought! Anyone who has an inch of grey roots they need to just blend once in awhile, the Cafe Moreno might be good.

Back to lavender for me in a few days because I like the white streak I am getting in front.

That's good to know. I ordered a sample of the Cafe Moreno. I am starting to get a few sparklies above my right temple, so I'll keep an eye on them when I try that one out. I'm not really looking to hide or dye my whites, but I don't have enough to care if they get covered either.

reilly0167
December 11th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Extra Honey Beer
Café Moreno
Olive & Babassu
Babassu Marsh Mello
Soapnuts shampoo
Carrot Milk Honey
Butter Bar Conditioner

I love the butter bar!

pili
December 11th, 2016, 08:11 PM
I love the butter bar!

I'm so impatient for them to arrive! I'm currently reading this HUGE thread to pass the time.

pili
December 12th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Here is a quick question for everyone: How long should I give each CV bar sample, to see if it works? Do I need to give each bar several washings or can I switch between them?

I have been CO for 14 years with only occasional hard water shampooing (depending on where I lived). My scalp is generally dry and does not produce a ton of oil. I have used the J.R. Ligygett's Tea Tree & Hemp Oil bar (https://jrliggett.com/bar-shampoo/tea-tree-hemp-oil-shampoo-bar.html) this week (that's what prompted me to start exploring shampoo bars and natural hair care). I usually go 5-8 days between washings already.

I am also experimenting with the ACV rinse recipes and different oils. So maybe it would be best to give each bar time to see what overall combinations work?

Obviously, if a bar causes a sever scalp reaction I won't use it again, but I'm not anticipating the waxy build up others get. The J.R. Ligygett's bar made my hair feel very clean.

Chromis
December 12th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Since I only wash once a week on average, it takes a while for me to form a good opinion. I like to use up one bar at a time rather than switching around. It takes a while this way, but it is much less hassle and gives a better picture.