PDA

View Full Version : The Shampoo Bar Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Bruiser
February 11th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Sarahbrownie the shampoo bars we are talking about are very different from lush bars, lush bars are detergent based (contain SLS) these shampoo bars are soap based and extremely gentle to the hair :flower:

Kimberly
February 11th, 2014, 06:29 PM
I found that lathering hands and then applying works just fine, but my bars didn't last as long. I mean, there would be a big piece left, but somehow it didn't have the same effect on my hair anymore, as if the oils had been leached out of the bar or something -- the lather didn't feel the same and my hair felt dried out. I don't know a lot about soap, so I don't know if that makes any sense at all. But I found that technique would make my bar not work for me anymore when about a third of it was still left. So I went back to rubbing the bar on my head.

I'd be really curious to know if this happens to anyone else using CV (or other) bars this way.

Bruiser
February 11th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I find it quicker and more efficient to just rub it straight on my hair, I used to lather in my hands but I found it takes waaay to long to apply enough suds to get things going that way. I lather up my roots, rinse, lather up my roots again move the suds down my length, if I didn't get a lot of suds I'll do a 3rd all over lather and rinse rinse rinse! 1Litre jar of water with a tablespoon ACV, dunk length and pour the rest over roots chill for a minute and rinse. Bam.

Aderyn
February 11th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Lush bars are definitely harsher than Chagrin Valley shampoo bars and most shampoo bars out there that I've experienced. If you want more of a "squeaky clean" feeling, you could try shampoo bars that are more cleansing rather than conditioning, so avoid typically conditioning ingredients like honey, for instance. The shampoo bars from Green Kimono (etsy), Prairieland Herbs, Sweet Creek (etsy, even the one I had with honey it is was more on the cleansing side) and some of the Chagrin Valley ones (Coconut Milk and Soapnuts, for example) are more cleansing, from my experience.

Chromis
February 11th, 2014, 09:58 PM
I lather directly with the bar too. Not enough suds the way for me and it was harder to distribute them. I do find now with the water softener I only need to do my length once and scalp twice. Before I had to do the length twice (I'd pull my hair over one shoulder, lather, rinse, and then use the other shoulder) and my scalp three times. I should caution that our water is very, very hard. Even the softener only helps, it is still not neutral! I don't think most people would need to lather so much.

I do not cut my bars up. I find the small slivers hard to use and that would mean more of them! I often try to stick the last bit onto my next bar since I'm a cheapskate. If that doesn't work, I have a plastic bin under the sink all my soap scraps go in for eventual rebatching.

Snorman
February 11th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Seriously, on day 3 (or day 2, depending on how you're counting. Washed Monday morning!) now from washing with my homemade shampoo bar, and it's not even a little greasy yet!? What kind of sorcery is this???
Usually I need to at least wash my bangs by day 3, but as it looks right now, I think I could go 1 day more, minimum!
Probably could go even longer.
I love this!
Though I love to shower, I hate to wash my hair. It's just so boring. Well now I don't have to as often as before! :D YAY
:happydance:

Jumper
February 12th, 2014, 12:37 AM
^ I'm pretty sure it is sorcery, because I washed my hair Saturday night and since then I've showered but not washed it. Still soft and shiny!

I'm tempted to not wash it til I get home from vacation Thursday night. That way I won't have to wash it with my regular shampoo at all.

We were in a little shop after dinner the other night and I saw a small display for a local soap company that makes shampoo bars! I didn't pick one up though... Currently not telling anyone about my strange new hair products and it would be really hard for the family to not see what I was buying.

Loviatar
February 12th, 2014, 12:47 AM
I also lather straight on my hair, not in my hands. I have hard water too and I usually lather 3x.

Chromis, I have a soap scraps bin too. I just kind of smoosh 'em all together in there. :)

earthybee
February 12th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Does anyone have a favorite bar for removing olive oil and honey treatments? I really only struggle with shampoo bars when I do these treatments. Any tips?

Bruiser
February 12th, 2014, 11:38 AM
I find the CV bar summer sunshine the best for taking out oiling it's very cleansing in my hair but I still need to do at least 3 lathers to get it all out

earthybee
February 12th, 2014, 03:52 PM
H
I find the CV bar summer sunshine the best for taking out oiling it's very cleansing in my hair but I still need to do at least 3 lathers to get it all out

Thanks so much! I have an sch citrus splash sample I will give it a try. My herb garden cv bar doesn't remove it, although I love it for everything other than that purpose.

Artista
February 12th, 2014, 05:46 PM
I cut CV bars even sample size get cuts in half. Lasts much longer that way. The larger one I cut a block out (a medium size square) just enough to be able to hold and apply directly on my head. Rub the bar directly on your scalp only. You don't need to rub your hair, poo will migrate down on it's own and that's not the part that needs cleaning.

If other "natural" soaps are harder I would question if they've listed all the ingredients in it because poo/soap bars made only of oils and herbs are on the softer side.

ExpectoPatronum
February 12th, 2014, 08:44 PM
The sorcery continues with me! I washed my hair on Monday, so normally I would be washing tonight. But, I skipped it because I actually felt like I could go one more day. Looks like stretching to two days between washes will be easier than I thought. I'm curious to see how long I could eventually stretch.

Not only is washing less helpful for saving my bars, but it's helpful in this drought we're having in CA. Most places are requiring a 10% water reduction now. I guess this will be my way of cutting back.

Jumper
February 12th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I took a shower and once again just rinsed my hair good under the shower.

I've decided to drag this out til tomorrow night when I'll be back home with my shampoo bar and ACV.

I don't remember the last time I went so long without washing.

Kimberly
February 12th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Not only is washing less helpful for saving my bars, but it's helpful in this drought we're having in CA. Most places are requiring a 10% water reduction now. I guess this will be my way of cutting back.

Ouch! We're only on voluntary reduction here, but they're asking for 20%.

One trick I use for extending washes is to brush my hair really well, spreading the natural oils. I do this at night, braid my hair for bed, and when I undo it in the morning it has sucked up the oil. I can get a couple of days this way. These days I wash every four to ten days, depending on whether it seems to need it -- usually, about once a week or a bit longer. It does seem I can stretch out longer between washes the longer my hair gets.

Myrddin
February 13th, 2014, 03:11 PM
If other "natural" soaps are harder I would question if they've listed all the ingredients in it because poo/soap bars made only of oils and herbs are on the softer side.

Actually not, it depends on the oils that are used. Olive, coconut, babassu and palm oil as well butters like shea or cocoa butter create pretty hard bars. Age is also an important factor. A young olive oil soap is very soft, but after a couple of months the soap is quite hard.

But of course there are also oils that make the soap softer like avocado oil.

sumidha
February 13th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Hey guys, this is kind of a silly question, and I should probably ask in in the pets thread but here goes... Has anyone here used shampoo bars/plain unscented soap bars on their dogs?

From my understanding the reason we shouldn't use human shampoo on dogs is that dogs have a more alkaline skin ph (supposedly around 6.2 to 7.4 versus 5.5 for humans?) than we do, which is what made me think of the shampoo bars, according to the CV website their bars are around 7.5 or slightly higher. I'm wondering if the dog would need a really really mild acidic rinse afterwards? Or, maybe I'm crazy and should just buy some hypoallergenic dog shampoo... Thoughts?

ExpectoPatronum
February 13th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Ouch! We're only on voluntary reduction here, but they're asking for 20%.

One trick I use for extending washes is to brush my hair really well, spreading the natural oils. I do this at night, braid my hair for bed, and when I undo it in the morning it has sucked up the oil. I can get a couple of days this way. These days I wash every four to ten days, depending on whether it seems to need it -- usually, about once a week or a bit longer. It does seem I can stretch out longer between washes the longer my hair gets.

I can't help but notice some giant redwoods or sequoias in your signature. You're not somewhere along the northern coast are you?

The method you've described is exactly what I've been doing before bed. That's probably why I was able to get another day. How interesting that works for both of us.

I'll probably be ordering some CV samples where once I finish one of my bars. I've already made the decision that, unless I run out before I can order more, I won't be buying the ones in the stores here again. They work for in a pinch, but I know there's better out there.

Kimberly
February 13th, 2014, 10:44 PM
I can't help but notice some giant redwoods or sequoias in your signature. You're not somewhere along the northern coast are you?

In the mountains along the Central Coast. I see you're in Panem. ;)

Jumper
February 13th, 2014, 11:25 PM
I bet you could email CV with the dog question! If I remember correctly from the website they also make dog shampoo bars.

Snorman
February 14th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Does lemon juice bleach hair? I used it today for a final rinse cause I was out of ACV.
I read somewhere that if you want to bleach your hair you can drop lemon juice on, but maybe it only works if you leave it in?
Also, can you use citric acid as a rinse?
That I can buy in powder form, which would simplyfy my travleing a LOT! :)

ExpectoPatronum
February 14th, 2014, 01:32 AM
Snorman, you definitely use citric acid :) I'm not sure about the dilution ratios for that, though.

ExpectoPatronum
February 14th, 2014, 01:34 AM
In the mountains along the Central Coast. I see you're in Panem. ;)

District 7 to be exact. Lots of lumber up here among the tall majestic redwoods of the lost coast.

sumidha
February 14th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks Jumper, I hadn't seen the dog shampoo before, I'm totally going to order some next time I get a package from them. :)

I use citric acid, there's a whole thread on it somewhere... I use like 1/4 teaspoon in around four cups of water. Less is definitely more. Shampoo bar + citric acid is definitely the best for traveling, it takes up so little space, and no liquids!

ExpectoPatronum
February 14th, 2014, 10:02 PM
I came into a little extra money today and wanted to place an order for CV shampoo bars kind of soon. Around how long does it take to ship and receive them? I know it will depend based on location, but a general idea will help. I don't want to get them too early, because then I wouldn't use what I have, and I also don't want to be without something to wash my hair with lol.

I'm probably going to get a few samples in this order. I was thinking Babassu Marsh Mallow, Herb Garden, and Rosemary Lavender Aloe. I want to try Cafe Moreno but I believe that one is sold out for the time being.

I'm intrigued by the henna shampoo bar. Has anyone tried those? I'd like to bring out the red tones in my hair.

Is there anything you guys can recommend? I have fairly dry hair and a scalp that's fairly sensitive and prone to getting flakes. My scalp can get greasy quickly, but that's been getting better since switching to bars and stretching my washes another day. My hair doesn't love protein, but can tolerate it in small doses. It also loves to frizz and fly away. Any recommendations would be lovely!

Jumper
February 14th, 2014, 11:55 PM
I ordered mine late one night and the next morning they shipped my order. It's that fast.

earthybee
February 15th, 2014, 08:56 AM
CV has always shipped the day after I order... they ship and arrive pretty fast. The henna bars are among my favorite. I really love the henna auburn bar.. it lathers just enough and does a wonderful job cleaning. The babassu marsh mallow bar is great I have a similar hair type as you described. The only time I really have trouble is when I oil before then it's stubborn to get out. On me the herb garden bar is a little tough for me to rinse totally out too but very moisturizing.

sumidha
February 15th, 2014, 12:12 PM
I used the extra honey beer & egg bar from CV for the first time a few days ago and it's definitely a new favorite of mine! My hair is coarse and dry, and with the tea tree and coconut milk bars I definitely still needed to put conditioner and oil in my hair afterwards. I didn't need to use any this time, and my hair felt slip-y and carefully detangle-able while it was still wet, which isn't usually the case. I think I'll be experimenting more with the extra-moisturizing bars, they seem to make my hair really happy. :)

Jumper
February 16th, 2014, 12:31 AM
I left my butter conditioner sample in the shower and not on any sort of soap saver while I was on vacation... I have used it twice and it's broken apart a lot, I might get one more use out of it.

Lesson learned. Buy soap dish at work tomorrow.

I have yet to try my clay sample though so that is fun!

Next order, other samples and definitely a full size butter bar.

In other news, I've been using the butter bar scraps to wash my face and it seems to really cut down the oil production.

Kimberly
February 16th, 2014, 12:59 AM
District 7 to be exact. Lots of lumber up here among the tall majestic redwoods of the lost coast.

Beautiful up there, and some wonderful little towns, too.

Lady Danger
February 16th, 2014, 10:53 AM
An update: my hair has definitely had the most success with both SCH's Beer Orange n Honey bar, and Vegan Herbal Apple Cider Vinegar bar. The Vegan Herbal Palmarosa Petitgrain left me a little lank (more than once), as did Eucalyptus Lime. As for CV, I have some good hair experiences with those, but far less than the SCH. Of CV's bars, the following have given me good hair days: Coconut Milk, Soapnuts, Rosemary Lavender, and Nettle. However, despite the same usage conditions as SCH, I notice that my hair still greases up faster with even the good CV bars. I'm not sure I'd order full sizes, but if I did, it would be any of the ones mentioned above. The rest of the samples I haven't liked will be used up as body bars.

I looked at the ingredients of the two SCH bars that worked vs the two that didn't, and based on that, ordered a bunch more from SCH with similar base ingredients. Eagerly awaiting their arrival. When my hair aligns perfectly with the bars, I can actually only wash every other day. It's pretty amazing (I have a very oily scalp and am used to daily washings.) And even when my hair gets "greasy", it isn't totally lank and disgusting like it would be with liquid shampoos, and I'm pretty sure mainstream society would have no problem with its condition. I just don't enjoy the feeling of too much scalp grease. It's amazing to me that even my organic, non-SLS liquid shampoos just weren't giving me the same good results as the bars.

ETA: I also noticed that my henna (which I apply monthly to my roots) is lasting much better. Lately I'd started having problems with the roots fading really quickly, despite, again, me not changing anything about application, etc. The bars seem to have solved that. Yay!

Bruiser
February 16th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I find it interesting that everyone seems to say that they can go longer between washes with shampoo bars, I personally find I need to wash more frequently although I don't mind because they are so gentle. With SLS 4-5 days with shampoo bars closer to 3 days.

earthybee
February 16th, 2014, 02:04 PM
I find it interesting that everyone seems to say that they can go longer between washes with shampoo bars, I personally find I need to wash more frequently although I don't mind because they are so gentle. With SLS 4-5 days with shampoo bars closer to 3 days.

I'm with you on this. I feel the same exact way.. It's true for me too.

Lady Danger
February 16th, 2014, 04:18 PM
For me, if I get greasy too quickly with a bar, it means it's the wrong type of bar for my hair. I've perfected my ACV rinse amount and definitely found some bars just don't gel with my hair. But the ones that do allow my scalp to produce oil normally, I suppose, so that I actually don't get greasy as fast. With regular liquid shampoos, I would get greasy in a matter of hours and could never use hair that had been slept on overnight. With the right bars, I can!

ExpectoPatronum
February 16th, 2014, 06:59 PM
It's amazing what using the right amount of ACV can do. I figured out last wash that my cup holds twice as much water as I thought, meaning I was using 1tbsp of ACV to 2.5 cups of water. While that worked, it wasn't anything spectacular. I fixed the ratio today by adding 2tbsp of ACV and that worked beautifully! My hair wasn't nearly as tangly nor did it feel like one blobby mass when I took it out of my tshirt turban to finger comb. I'm excited to see how it turns out when it dries. There is one negative, though. My hair actually smells like vinegar more :(

I've also found that I like the rosemary bars from Camamu way more than the Neem Oil ones. The Neem oil just didn't clean my hair enough. Rosemary does. The rosemary ones will be my fall back if I run out of bars and forgot to order more or something.

In other news...I plan on ordering my CV samples tomorrow morning! I'm going with babassu marshmallow, rosemary lavender, auburn henna, and ayruvedic. Hopefully I'll find a favorite in those few!

Snorman
February 17th, 2014, 03:18 AM
I just bought citric acid for a final rinse, but I still wonder if it's bleaching?

SkyChild
February 17th, 2014, 08:53 AM
I think, Snorman that it can be bleaching if you don't dilute it and leave it on for a long time (like the idea of wearing lemon juice in the sun to lighten hair)
I suppose using it for a long time, diluted, might lighten it. But I've not heard of this before.

ExpectoPatronum
February 17th, 2014, 11:05 AM
What section of the store do you guys find citric acid? I've looked in the seasonings for both citric acid and sour salt and didn't find it. I'd like to use it in place of ACV if I know I have to wash my hair and get out the door fast.

Also placed my first CV order just now! I'm excited to get it :)

carrielynn
February 17th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Alright you guys might be working on a new convert here... :) I've been browsing a lot of the pages of this thread and am thoroughly intrigued.

I'd really like to hear from some wavies and curlies: how do these shampoo bars work for you? What are your favorite brands? Is there any technique or ingredients to look for or avoid in order to keep your wave pattern nice? I currently follow a typical curly routine of low-poo (non-sls), rinse out conditioner, leave in conditioner, and gel. I wear my hair down 2-3 days a week, and want to keep some volume and wave definition.

Snorman
February 17th, 2014, 12:19 PM
What section of the store do you guys find citric acid? I've looked in the seasonings for both citric acid and sour salt and didn't find it. I'd like to use it in place of ACV if I know I have to wash my hair and get out the door fast.

Also placed my first CV order just now! I'm excited to get it :)

I found it sort of between laundry and spices... :P But tat might be because the shop I went to doesn't really sort things... They just put 'em up :P

ExpectoPatronum
February 17th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Alright you guys might be working on a new convert here... :) I've been browsing a lot of the pages of this thread and am thoroughly intrigued.

I'd really like to hear from some wavies and curlies: how do these shampoo bars work for you? What are your favorite brands? Is there any technique or ingredients to look for or avoid in order to keep your wave pattern nice? I currently follow a typical curly routine of low-poo (non-sls), rinse out conditioner, leave in conditioner, and gel. I wear my hair down 2-3 days a week, and want to keep some volume and wave definition.

It looks like we have the same exact hair type going by the sidebar stats. Shampoo bars work very well for me and I find they really help to bring out my waves as my hair is drying. However, I usually keep my hair in braids so I can't really comment on how well they look the next day and so on. I haven't really found a favorite brand yet as I've only been doing this all of two weeks and have only tried one brand. I highly recommend rinsing with a diluted acidic rinse after you wash. It balances the hair's pH and makes hair super shiny. Now that I've found a good ratio of ACV to water, I find I don't need conditioner at all. If you want to encourage wave definition, I'd try twisting my hair as it dries. It's not something I've tried with shampoo bars, but it's worked well in the past. Volume is pretty much a given when you get shampoo bars down and find one that works with your hair. :) In order to find one that works for you, definitely take advantage of companies that sell samples so you can find what you like. I just ordered some samples from chagrin valley, which I know a few people here really like. http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/

Artista
February 17th, 2014, 09:53 PM
For a bit over a week now I've been using 40% laurel Aleppo soap bar as shampoo. I have seborrheic dermatitis and this soap has been highly tooted for helping with this, eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, etc. I must say my scalp is very calm and my face is much less red and hardly has any embedded dandruff on my skin and eyebrows which is common in these conditions! The itch is gone too! I'm very impressed and thought I'd share that out of everything I have tried for my skin/scalp issue from rx to medicated to natural, THIS is the best! The bar lasts a long time. The key is if it doesn't sink to the bottom, it's the real deal. It needs to be from Syria and show what percentage of laurel there is on the package. I got Nijel brand from ebay. 40% is highest for problem scalp. If you don't have problem scalp then go for 20 or less percent. Highly recommend it. I just put a little leave in conditioner and hair is just fine too!

sumidha
February 17th, 2014, 10:35 PM
carrielynn, if you're following a CG type routine, I would suggest going for the bars that are labeled as more moisturizing/for dry hair. CV has a 'conditioner' shampoo bar that I haven't tried but is on the list, that might also be good. :)

ExpectoPatronum you can find citric acid at places that sell canning supplies, but I found mine in the supplements section of a health food store, I think for your neck of the woods I'd try one of those?

I cannot love on citric acid enough you guys- it has absolutely no smell, and isn't liquid.

Jumper
February 17th, 2014, 11:03 PM
I tried my mud and clay cv sample... It made me really sad I managed to pretty much disintegrate my butter conditioner bar. The smell of the clay bar is nice, but its too drying for my hair even with an ACV rinse. I have it in a damp braid right now trying to preserve some moisture and prevent it from tangling tonight.

I think it's time to order a full size of the butter conditioner bar!
...and a few more samples because I'm not done experimenting. Of course.

I can't help but browse the bars and try to decide what to try next.

hypersensitive
February 18th, 2014, 12:51 AM
I went to a LUSH store just to see how the Godvia shampoo bar smells like. My goodness! I absolutely love it! Jasmine scents are so nostalgic for me and I was blown away by how wonderful it smelled! I am absolutely getting this for my birthday next month!!

So since I have no experience with shampoo bars, any tips or advice for a new shampoo bar user?

Are conditioning or ACV rinses necessary?

carrielynn
February 18th, 2014, 04:34 AM
It looks like we have the same exact hair type going by the sidebar stats.
I'd noticed that too, and was hoping you'd chime in. :) Thanks for the tips!

carrielynn
February 18th, 2014, 04:37 AM
If you're following a CG type routine, I would suggest going for the bars that are labeled as more moisturizing/for dry hair.
Ooo good point! Looks like I'll be trying some different samples...

carrielynn
February 18th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Eeeeek I just placed an order for samples from Sweet Creek Herbal!! I told Kathleen to just pick five for me... since I really don't know where to start. :p Here goes nothing!

For those of you who use citric acid instead of acv, where do you find it? I don't have any natural/whole foods stores nearby, just your typical grocery stores. And I'm willing to shop online too.

Myrddin
February 18th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Eeeeek I just placed an order for samples from Sweet Creek Herbal!! I told Kathleen to just pick five for me... since I really don't know where to start. :p Here goes nothing!

I'm curious to know what kind of bars she chose for you. :-)

Lady Danger
February 18th, 2014, 07:12 PM
I'm curious to know what kind of bars she chose for you. :-)

Me too! I just received my newest order from her today. Used the Rosemary Honey shampoo and my hair's looking and feeling great.

Rushli
February 19th, 2014, 02:08 PM
For those of you who use citric acid instead of acv, where do you find it? I don't have any natural/whole foods stores nearby, just your typical grocery stores. And I'm willing to shop online too.

I found mine with the canning supplies at walmart.

I had said awhile ago I was going to post a picture with a before an after using CV henna auburn, but when I finally got DH to take the picture, the lighting was off (I looked blonde with zero red showing!) I have used it 2x since, and still dont think there is that much of a difference in color. Then again I have auburn hair. It has however, made my hair feel wonderful!!! I am back to washing my hair 2x a week, so it takes time to continue to figure out what works. Oddly even though my hair was very dry and always staticy, I have found that my hair seems to like a moisturizing bar then something for dryer hair (fav is summer sunshine so far.) I used honey beer and egg 2x in a row, and it was not good! So far I have not made it a full 3 days before noticing my hair is greasy, which I was able to do before, but I hope time will fix that. Oh, and the only one my hair does not like is rosemary mint. Smells awesome so if DH does not want to use it, then it will be great body soap.

carrielynn
February 20th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Oh boy... my SCH samples are on their way! And Kathleen's note didn't tell me what ones she picked for me, so we'll just have to wait and see... I'm glad I only live three short states away from her!! :D

Jumper
February 20th, 2014, 02:10 PM
So I put olive oil on my hair and ended up having to use my regular shampoo to get it out... Even with conditioner my hair was so dry and frizzy after it dried. Never again! My next bars are on their way from CV and should be here tomorrow.

NaClH2O
February 20th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Question for shampoo bar users:

My DBF and I have recently dove into the world of natural shampoo bars and are loving it. My question is this - is there a good quality shampoo bar out there that smells strongly of tea tree? I ordered the Neem & Tea Tree (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/for-the-body/soap-bars/neem-tea-tree-body-hair-shampoo) shampoo bar from CV hoping it would fit the bill, but I can't smell any tea tree at all. They don't seem to have a good option and DBF is insisting he really wants a tea tree bar.

Has anyone found a tea tree shampoo bar from another company that you can recommend? I have looked a little on Etsy, but nothing is jumping out at me. I would love some suggestions, thanks!

hypersensitive
February 20th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Hi NaClH2O, sorry I don't know any tea tree shampoo bars. Also, don't expect a response to questions on this thread. My very simple question from 3 days ago has not even been addressed. That is the problem with super long threads. People don't pay attention to shampoo bar newbies.

Snorman
February 21st, 2014, 02:33 AM
Question for shampoo bar users:

My DBF and I have recently dove into the world of natural shampoo bars and are loving it. My question is this - is there a good quality shampoo bar out there that smells strongly of tea tree? I ordered the Neem & Tea Tree (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/for-the-body/soap-bars/neem-tea-tree-body-hair-shampoo) shampoo bar from CV hoping it would fit the bill, but I can't smell any tea tree at all. They don't seem to have a good option and DBF is insisting he really wants a tea tree bar.

Has anyone found a tea tree shampoo bar from another company that you can recommend? I have looked a little on Etsy, but nothing is jumping out at me. I would love some suggestions, thanks!

You could always make your own? I tried it, It's not that hard. It takes time, but you get exactly what you want! :) Otherwise I really don't know. I'm a newbee to bar using, myself :P

Snorman
February 21st, 2014, 02:35 AM
Hi NaClH2O, sorry I don't know any tea tree shampoo bars. Also, don't expect a response to questions on this thread. My very simple question from 3 days ago has not even been addressed. That is the problem with super long threads. People don't pay attention to shampoo bar newbies.

According you question; I'm not an expert, but I've read that you don't need ACV rinses if you don't feel like your hair needs it. In hard water I heard that it's a good thing to do, to avoid waxy feeling hair. I don't need it, but I live in Sweden and I have supersoft water. :)
Hope that helped a little bit, at least!

Loviatar
February 21st, 2014, 07:11 AM
Hypersensitive, the issue is not that people don't pay attention to shampoo bar newbies, but that you are talking about using LUSH shampoo bars. Lush bars are made of solid sulphates, not really different to regular liquid shampoo. The majority of bar users on this thread use nonsulphate bars, made of natural oils and butters, which are entirely different to lush bars. Lush bars do not need any kind of acid rinse after use because they're basically just normal detergent. They're just solid. So yes, I have tips for a new Lysh shampoo bar user: treat your hair exactly as you would when using liquid shampoo, because after using a sulphate bar, it will react and feel like you used liquid shampoo. You should still need to condition.

I think I may have to rethink using cv bars - as my hair gets longer, they don't seem to work as well. My hair is becoming more tangly (yes Ive clarified and chelated) - I think I may have to go back to CO. Or use cv bars for scalp and CO for length.

Bruiser
February 21st, 2014, 08:37 AM
Hypersensitive if your interested in shampoo bars you should actually read this thread. People sporadically ask about lush and always get the same response, I answered one only 5 pages back, it's the same as regular shampoo, it's detergent (SLS) based and should be used as a shampoo, the shampoo bars we are talking about are different.

Neecola
February 21st, 2014, 11:34 AM
Jumper, are you able to co-wash the oil out? I know that works for many people to get heavy oilings out, though I can't use that method myself.

NaClH2O
February 21st, 2014, 01:35 PM
I have a brand new Herbal Mist soap bar (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/for-the-body/soap-bars/herbal-mist-soap) from CV up for trade on the swap board. I bought it because it had great reviews, but I really don't like the smell. If anyone is interested in swapping me some samples or another full size bar from CV that you don't love and won't use, head on over there! :flowers:

This is the first bar from CV I've bought and immediately regretted just because it smells like black licorice....which I hate! Hopefully someone here loves that smell and can get some good use out of it.

hypersensitive
February 21st, 2014, 02:27 PM
Thanks Loviatar for explaining the difference! I never even knew that LUSH bars were different. And thanks for the tips too.

Thanks Bruiser for responding. It did not cross my mind to search specifically for LUSH in this thread since I assumed LUSH products were the same as shampoo bars. It is not apparent that LUSH bars are in fact *not* shampoo bars especially since the product uses those words in the name. Does that make sense?

Loviatar
February 21st, 2014, 02:29 PM
Oh yes it certainly makes sense. It's annoying that Lush referred to them as shampoo bars for so long because I'm sure it's caught a lot of newbies out before! In fact now I come to think of it in the UK Lush call them "solid shampoos" not shampoo bars in store. :)

ExpectoPatronum
February 21st, 2014, 02:52 PM
Eep! I got my CV samples today!

I got Rosemary lavender, Babassu Marsh Mallow, Ayurvedic, and Auburn Henna. I'm about to jump in the shower and wash my hair but I don't know which one I want to try first!

Jumper
February 21st, 2014, 03:17 PM
^ I got my CV full size butter conditioner bar/more samples AND my nightblooming panacea sample pack today.

I just sit here staring at them because I don't know what to do with so many choices.

ExpectoPatronum
February 21st, 2014, 03:41 PM
^ Use everything! I hate when I have too many choices sometimes lol.

So I picked one at random and used the Ayurvedic bar. My hair isn't try yet so I can't say much but already, CV is a winner. I've come to terms with the fact that I have to use a lot of product for my hair (it's VERY thick at the scalp) and, even so, I can hardly tell I used up any of the sample! The camamu would be half it's original size after one wash. The bars also dry a lot quicker and don't get a sticky gooey residue on them like my camamu ones did.

I do like the smell of the ayurvedic bar and I feel like it lathered nicely. Time will tell if it dried out my hair or not. I also shed less, 20 hairs instead of 30ish. That could be for other reasons, though.

Taking it down from my t-shirt turban, I noticed my ends were very fluffy! So this one will be good if you want some volume.

carrielynn
February 22nd, 2014, 12:10 PM
Well that was fast! I wasn't expecting to get my samples from SCH until Monday at the earliest, but they arrived today!!! Kathleen sent me:
Lavender Shea (silk)
Lavender Rose (vegan)
Lavender Orange (vegan)
Rosemary Clay (vegan)
Orange Beer Honey (silk)
Lime Eucalyptus (vegan)

So she actually sent me six! I'm super excited to try them, today is wash day, but my husband and I are performing some music at an event tonight and I'm kinda scared of having a hair disaster... But I guess if worse comes to worse I can put it up, right? :)

organicmoon
February 22nd, 2014, 12:12 PM
Love Chagrin Valley! I have been using shampoo bars and acv/citric acid rinses exclusively for 3 years now and love the results. I used to have dry, brittle, easily broken hair that never hardly grew. Now I have full, thick shiny hair that grows faster and is stronger than ever. My favs are Herb Garden-this Ive used mostly the last few months and fullness is incredible, Coconut milk and The Soapnuts one are my fav standbys when I need perfect moisture and cleasning, Henna Chestnut was great as after several uses it did slightly darken my hair and added shine, same with Café Moreno, Nettle I love after an oil treatment as its more cleansing and leaves my hair soft. I also recommend the Butter Bar COnditioner if you have dry, porous, hard to detangle hair. I also recommend the Tea Tree and Neem shampoo bar for a one bar kind of person. Works great on hair, body and face. There are still a few I have to try but a full size lasts quite awhile and last time I ordered which was January 2013 I also got scrap sacks which are great for a little more than you pay for a bar but you get 1lb. you can use the scraps by themselves (some are pretty big) or somethimes I wet a bunch, stick together and make 1 big bar for handling. Everyone please wait out the adjustment period and read thru this thread (I know its long) but there it so much good advice.

organicmoon
February 22nd, 2014, 01:02 PM
sometimes even with shampoo bars I need a clarifying b/c they can build up too mostly depends on your type of water. Try working in a clarifying like with baking soda once a month or every few months and that should help.

Lady Danger
February 22nd, 2014, 02:59 PM
Well that was fast! I wasn't expecting to get my samples from SCH until Monday at the earliest, but they arrived today!!! Kathleen sent me:
Lavender Shea (silk)
Lavender Rose (vegan)
Lavender Orange (vegan)
Rosemary Clay (vegan)
Orange Beer Honey (silk)
Lime Eucalyptus (vegan)

So she actually sent me six! I'm super excited to try them, today is wash day, but my husband and I are performing some music at an event tonight and I'm kinda scared of having a hair disaster... But I guess if worse comes to worse I can put it up, right? :)

Try the Beer Orange n Honey!! I know there's a lot of YMMV with bars, but my hair always looks good with that one. :)

carrielynn
February 23rd, 2014, 05:03 AM
Try the Beer Orange n Honey!! I know there's a lot of YMMV with bars, but my hair always looks good with that one. :)
I've heard that one mentioned a few times! It'll probably be my next one!

I started with Lavender Shea.
Ingredients: coconut oil, castor oil, organic virgin olive oil, sodium hydroxide and silk in distilled H2O, jojoba, lavender tea, Ghana natural shea butter, avocado oil, oil of lavender

I've had decent results with both shea butter and silk protein before (Shea Moisture shampoos and stylers have been a go-to for awhile). I'm not completely sure but I think avocado oil might give me some itchies (it's been in a few other things I've used), we'll see. And I like the smell of lavender.

Wash #1: Lather scalp, water rinse, lather scalp and length, water rinse (holy cow that waxy feeling is weird!!), acv rinse, let it sit while finishing other shower stuff, brief water rinse. Squeeze water out, apply Shea Moisture Curl Milk (it's been a styler I've used a lot recently, and I wasn't ready to go without quite yet), wide tooth comb, plop for 10 min, take down and air dry.

Results: Not bad! Maybe a little frizzy, but I often use a gel to hold that down anyway. I was amazed at the amount of volume, especially while it was drying. Now to see how second and third day hair hold up, and try again! Ideally I'd like to use up each sample before moving to a new one, and keeping track of the results, but we'll see.

This is fun! :)

chrissy-b
February 23rd, 2014, 12:24 PM
I recently tried the Rosemary Shampoo Treatment Bar (you can find it HERE (https://www.etsy.com/transaction/137299662?ref=fb2_tnx_title)) and wanted to share my experience. It was really strong and left my scalp tingly after every use. It also didn't lose its scent or strength with use (I noticed with some other bars, they don't feel as potent after they sit for a while - not a problem with this bar). I don't think it helped with hair growth as it claims, but it was very cleansing. The only downside to this bar is that it has little beads in it (maybe they're chunks of herbs, I don't know) that helped to exfoliate. While this was awesome on my freshly shaved head, I don't think it would be good on my fine hair once it's longer.

I am currently waiting on two bars from HennaSooq (Cocoveda & Mad Moisture) to see how those work out for me. Anyone have any experience with the Mad Moisture?

organicmoon
February 23rd, 2014, 12:47 PM
I have not tried HennaSooq but the names of those bars sound nice for the hair. I am debating placing an order with Apple Valley Natural Soap. Their prices look decent and there is a salt bar I really want for my body, their shampoo bars look nice. Aside from a J.R. Liggett shampoo bar I grabbed at the health food store bc I forgot to place an order I have been a strict Chagrin Valley customer. Although if you can't place an order somewhere I had good results with the JR Liggett bar original formula. It's a good place s to start if your just starting shampoo bars plus its sold at most health food stores so no shipping cost. It's about $5 or so for a 4oz bar. I think I might order from Apple Valley. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking at the chamomile and orange blossom bc I'm a sucker for those scents and then the Latte brunette one.

Jumper
February 23rd, 2014, 06:16 PM
We actually sell JR Liggett at Target, and I've definitely seen the shampoo bar (because I did a double take) but the shampoo bar may have been a seasonal thing... We definitely sell the brand though.

ExpectoPatronum
February 24th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Wash day!

I used the Lavender Rosemary bar from CV. It had the best lather of any poo bar I've tried so far. However, I think this one might be too cleansing for my hair as it feels fairly dried out right now. We'll see how it feels when my hair is fully dried. I think this one will be good for if your scalp needs a really good washing, though.

cdonald2
February 24th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Would these work for me if i havent had trouble with parabens or cones or sulfates? how does one transition from using all of these to going au naturale? Should i just use up my stuff first? and what does everyone condition with when they use shampoo bars?

Jumper
February 24th, 2014, 11:24 PM
^ I wouldn't say my hair really has a problem with any of those things, I just got super curious about what it would be like to try going without them.

I think the biggest change for me is that I can really see all the damage that is covered up by cones now that I don't use any products with them.

I don't condition with my shampoo bar but I use the most moisturizing shampoo bar I can find too. Rinsing with ACV is enough to make my hair as soft and shiny as conditioner did anyway. I use Nightbloomings panacea as my only real conditioning type product, but its also a leave in that makes my hair soft and shiny.

cdonald2
February 25th, 2014, 12:40 AM
^ I wouldn't say my hair really has a problem with any of those things, I just got super curious about what it would be like to try going without them.

I think the biggest change for me is that I can really see all the damage that is covered up by cones now that I don't use any products with them.

I don't condition with my shampoo bar but I use the most moisturizing shampoo bar I can find too. Rinsing with ACV is enough to make my hair as soft

and shiny as conditioner did anyway. I use Nightbloomings panacea as my only real conditioning type product, but its also a leave in that makes my hair soft and shiny.

I may sound like a noob but what is ACV and Nightbloomings panacea? :X im embaressed i dont know more about natural products

ExpectoPatronum
February 25th, 2014, 12:48 AM
cdonald2, ACV is just apple cider vinegar. To use it as a rinse, you dilute some (maybe a tablespoon of ACV to one cup of water) and pour it in the hair after washing with a bar. Some people let it sit a minute, some rinse it out immediately. I'll be honest, my hair does smell like vinegar a little while it's drying, but the smell is gone as soon as it's dry.

Nightblooming's Panacea is a lovely salve that can be purchased from this etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming

cdonald2
February 25th, 2014, 01:20 AM
Where do you find your shampoo bars? anyone reputable on etsy as well? also, any ingredients that do special things for the hair? ive seen lots of different types but i wasnt sure if the only thing they varied by were scents

Theobroma
February 25th, 2014, 02:55 AM
Re ACV: white vinegar is also an option. It's what I've always used, since I gather that ACV can lighten hair. And you might want to experiment with different dilutions. I use a couple of tablespoons to about a LITRE of water. That's still plenty acidic enough to counteract the alkalinity of the soap, and there is NO vinegar smell even while my hair is soaking wet. (I don't rinse it out.)

If you really, really can't stand vinegar you could also try citric acid, though I have no idea about how much to use in how much water.

As for where to get shampoo bars -- personally, I use bar soap. The same all-natural vegetable soap that I use on the rest of me. I'm so happy with the results that I've never bothered to investigate actual shampoo bars marketed specifically for hair. :)

Snorman
February 26th, 2014, 04:00 AM
I just got a bar home!
A nettle bar! Smells devine, but my next washday is Friday :(
Its ingredients are;
green clay, urtica dioica leaf, cedrus atlantica, cananga odorata genuine, rosmarinus officinalis, spirulina pacifica, #linalool, #eugenol, #benzyl benzoate.
Sounds good?

ETA; and some basic oils of course! :)

ExpectoPatronum
February 26th, 2014, 08:38 PM
^^^^Whats the brand? I'm curious :)

Rosemary Lavender bar...I think is a no. It made my hair so dry :( I tried the marshmallow babassu one today. Hopefully this one is better for my hair.

Lydialove
February 26th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Woo! I read the whole thing (okay, actually I skipped some in the middle - but I did read a great deal of it!)

Hello! I'm an off and on lurker. I've had a lot of opportunity to appreciate the incredible wealth of knowledge on this board, but haven't really felt like I've had a lot to contribute.

Really, though, I just have to share how excited I am with the results I'm having with CV bars.

I have lots of fine straight hair that I used to just manage by keeping in a bob. When I started using henna, the reduction in breakage and flyaways was impressive enough that I decided I could try growing it out. It's been largely successful, due primarily to the henna, I think, but I've had trouble finding a daily (or weekly) regimen that consistently made my hair happy. I got my hair down to waist length, but the ends were so prone to tangling that I became frustrated and cut off quite a bit of length.

I've cut down on washing, tried a billionty different shampoos and conditioners. Cones, no cones, oiling before washing, oiling after... I don't' know. I tried a lot of different stuff. I think I tried CV bars about two years ago... but hadn't followed through on an acidic rinse which, it turns out, is pretty key for me so my experimentation did not turn out well.

Anywho. About a month and a half ago I found some old CV samples - I knew one was Cafe Moreno but couldn't remember what the other two were - Ayurvedic maybe... and possibly Babassu something? Maybe? I went to the CV website and while trying to suss out the origins of my samples I ran into the page about acidic rinses and experienced an "aha" moment. Or maybe that's an "oh, duh" moment.

I was shocked how soft, shiny and manageable my hair was after using two year old Cafe Moreno and a dilute ACV rinse. After experimenting further with my samples I decided I didn't really want my hair getting darker with Cafe Moreno and since I had no idea what the other two were, it was probably time to get some more and I almost squee'd with joy when I saw CV now has shampoo bars that contain Henna.

I'm on my second wash with the Strawberry Henna. It was a little oily the first, so I tried a second lather this time. My hair came out very clean and soft and shiny. I'll get around to the other samples, but this seems pretty freaking ideal right here.

I've found I don't mind the ACV rinse (boy does does my hair seem to like that) - I've started infusing the vinegar with whatever is supposed to be good for hair and smells good. I made a vinegar tea with hibiscus, rosemary, rosebuds and an orange peel and left it to steep overnight. I guess I still smell a little like a pickle while my hair dries, but it's a very nice, sweet and herbal smelling pickle.

Sorry, long post. Just had to share and my DH is sort of tired of talking about hair.

-Lydia

ExpectoPatronum
February 27th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Lydia, so glad you found something that works! It's a really good feeling, isn't it? I do like doing two latherings too. One isn't enough for me.

I have a question...Shampoo bars are working wonderfully for my scalp. They're also working great for my hair...except the ends. The very very very ends of my hair are as dry as all can be. I never had this problem with regular shampoo - just the bars. Is there anything I can do for this?

Snorman
February 27th, 2014, 04:02 AM
^^^^Whats the brand? I'm curious :)

It's from this swedish site Neaofsweden.se And it's handmade by someone... I'm not sure :P
It says Nea Of Sweden on the box, so I guess it's their own brand.. hehe

carrielynn
February 27th, 2014, 05:10 AM
The very very very ends of my hair are as dry as all can be. I never had this problem with regular shampoo - just the bars. Is there anything I can do for this?
I think I remember reading in an article about porosity how soaps can aggravate porous hair. Since our ends have been exposed to the elements the longest, and therefore be the most porous of all our hair, it would make sense. Maybe try putting some conditioner or coconut oil just on your ends before lathering? And applying something extra moisturizing just to the ends after? (haven't tried it myself, just a theory)

carrielynn
February 27th, 2014, 05:17 AM
I was planning to use up each of my sample SCH bars before trying a new one, but I came down with a cold and thought this would be the perfect chance to try the Lime Eucalyptus. :)

Wow that one was so strong smelling in the package! I could smell it as soon as I opened the mailbox the day it arrived, and ended up wapping it in a separate baggie so it wouldn't make the other samples smell too.

I picked up some citric acid for my rinse (acv smell was giving me a headache). We'll see how things go! So far my scalp has loved this routine, but my length has had crazy flyaways and static.

Chromis
February 27th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Yeah Lydia! :cheer: Great finding something that works! Cafe Moreno is one of my favs too.

EP - I don't lather all the way to my ends anymore for the same reason. I lather my scalp and nape mostly and about halfway down. When I had super hard water, petting the whole length was fine, but with a water softener the bars work much better and I don't need to.

sumidha
February 27th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I have a question...Shampoo bars are working wonderfully for my scalp. They're also working great for my hair...except the ends. The very very very ends of my hair are as dry as all can be. I never had this problem with regular shampoo - just the bars. Is there anything I can do for this?

Are you lathering all the way down the length? I concentrate on lathering my scalp really thoroughly, and then squish the suds through my length, like with conventional shampoo. I don't use the shampoo bar on my ends unless I'm removing oil or crazy build up or something.

ExpectoPatronum
February 27th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I do lather all the way to my ends. I believe I read somewhere that shampoo bars aren't like shampoo where letting the suds run down your length would be enough to clean it. So, I've been scrubbing all the way down...twice. Eek. No wonder my ends are dry. -goes to give them some TLC-

Jumper
February 27th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I fully admit to looking at my ends last night in church and immediately getting in the shower once I got home and using 3 minute miracle. I think I'm going to start using conditioner with my shampoo bars again.

ChickaDee Q
February 27th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Hello everyone! I'm new to LHC and found this wonderful forum searching for Shampoo Bar help, LOL. I've been using poo bars for about 3 weeks now and I'm still struggling with the ACV rinse. I've read almost all of this thread (it took me quite a while, but I did it) and had tried tinkering with the ACV rinse with little success and varying outcomes. At first I was using WAY too much (embarrassing really) which dried out my hair horribly. So I tried a much more diluted mix of 4TBSP to 4Cups of water. This worked well, left my hair shiny and smooth, but a bit greasy. So I tried a bit less (used 3 TBSP of ACV) the second go around. My scalp seemed to like this and my hair was just ok. It appearsed a bit dry but waxy ??? to the touch. Today, I decided to repeat the same rinse (which I've been rinsing out each time) but mist some on the length of my hair to see if this would help condition a bit more and get rid of the dryness and static in my length. Today it seemed it got worse. I've also noticed a fine white wax like powder that collected on my hairbrush. Ewww! So frustrated as I was, I just rewashed my hair and used no rinse (I assumed I would need because we have hard water) just to see if I would get waxy, dry or greasy. I'm sitting here now with 3/4 of my hair dry and it's soft and fluffy with no waxy feeling and a little static. Can the ACV rinse cause a waxy residue? I thought I had read someone else had a similar result with ACV. Not sure If I should try a different rinse like citric acid, or just spread out the ACV rinses. I tend to have naturally dry hair with a bit of an oily scalp, and thin fine hair that tangles. I like that the ACV would help with tangles.

Chromis
February 27th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Some folks have better success with different acids for their rinse like citric acid or even very dilute lemon or lime juice. Others have good luck with white vinegar like you would use for cleaning. Some lucky, lucky people even have the best luck with no rinse at all since they have super soft water!

I use a bit of oil to get rid of the static myself, since I have troubles with that no matter the wash method. An oil that is easy to find and works well on my hair is coconut oil. Not too much, just a fingernail scrape usually.

sumidha
February 27th, 2014, 08:28 PM
ExpectoPatronum, I read that somewhere too, but I think it's a case of YMMV... Less cleansing on the length definitely works better for me. :)

Snorman
February 28th, 2014, 03:57 AM
Well I tried my Nettle Bar today. It smelled awesome, my hair feels clean, looks clean and is soft and shiny. Not in the least dissapointed! Woho!

organicmoon
February 28th, 2014, 02:47 PM
I love the Nettle bar especially when I need extra cleansing. Can't use all the time as it dries my scalp a bit. I recommend citric acid if you're not having luck with vinegar. I got mine at an Indian grocery store but it may be in baking aisles or with the canning supplies in bigger groceries. I use about 1/8 of a tsp. It's a very small amount for about 1-1/2 cups of water. If it's crystals like mine just make sure it's dissolved first. Citric acid is that softening agent found in most conditioners.

Snorman
February 28th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I'm using citric acid! It's awesome! I found a huuuuge jar super cheap so now I have conditioner for the rest of my life! :P

ExpectoPatronum
February 28th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Couple things:

I didn't outright lather my length. I did about maybe halfway and squeezed it the rest of the way. My ends feel much much better. I also didn't dip them in my ACV rinse like usual, which also might have been drying them out.

In today's wash (which should have been tomorrow but >.>) I had tried out my last sample so I guess I can now give a quick overview on which ones I liked and didn't like.

I had purchased four sample bars from Chagrin Valley: Babassu Marsh Mallow, Ayurvedic, Rosemary Lavender, and Auburn Henna. Those four seemed to have all their categories covered.

I'll divide them into three categories: Ones I will be repurchasing in the full size, ones I MIGHT repurchase, and one I will never buy again.

First category: Ones I will definitely be repurchasing.
Ayurvedic: This was the first one I tried from my samples. It took a little work to lather in my hair, but my scalp was feeling very clean and I don't feel like it stripped my hair. I think this will be a good, every day kind of cleaning bar for when you don't have a lot of oil or dirt to remove. I also feel as if this one didn't cause a ton of shedding. As with most poo bars, my hair did feel sticky but that was remedied with an ACV rinse as I have hard-ish water where I live.

Babassu Marsh Mallow: This one lathers like a dream and I only had to use a little bit! I loved it. Working the lather through my hair, I could feel the softening and moisturizing effects of this bar. I used this bar after a disaster trial with one of the other bars, and it really helped to restore my hair's moisture balance all the while cleaning my scalp. Of the bars I tried, this is the only one where the scent remained in my hair, which I liked. I look forward to seeing how this one helps my naturally dryish hair over time. Of the four I tried, I think this one is my favorite.

Second category: One I MIGHT repurchase.
Auburn Henna Bar: I used this one today, and like the Ayurvedic, I had to work a little more to get it to lather and I felt like I had to use a lot. Not only is this bar more expensive than the others (over $8) but you also get less (5.5oz as opposed to 7.5oz). I'm not sure if this one will be very cost effective for me to continue using regularly over the long term. I do want to keep using it to see if this bar brings out the red highlights in my hair, though. I also don't feel as if this one dried my hair out and, like the previous two, it did a nice job of cleaning my scalp. Out of the four I tried, this one had the least amount of the stickiness after rinsing and it also didn't cause a ton of shedding. I feel like this one tamed my frizziness more than the others and gave my hair more shine. I'd repurchase in the full size if I had the extra cash, or I might just order a sample or two of it with my orders of the others because I do like this bar. Note: After lathering, I did let this one sit for a couple minutes as the website recommends.

Third category: The one I will NEVER repurchase.
Rosemary Lavender: Oh this one smelled so good too. I should have known it wasn't going to work for me when it had the craziest amount of lather I had ever experienced from a bar. This one left my hair so sticky and gross. I thought my rinse had fixed it, but I was wrong. It stripped my hair like no one's business and my ends were soooo crunchy after using this one. This bar is definitely only good if you need to remove motor oil from your hair because otherwise, this one is too cleansing. I'll probably keep the sample around and use it for a deep scalp cleanse once in a blue moon, but I won't be repurchasing this one ever.

Chromis
February 28th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Another place to look for citric acid is in stores with cheese making supplies. Plus you can buy cheese making kits while you are there!

ChickaDee Q
February 28th, 2014, 10:18 PM
I actual have citric acid (for canning if it is the same) that I use to make bath fizzies, will that work and how much for hard water? I will definately be trying the coconut oil, I had major static once my hair dried completely. I had tried argan oil but didn't work very well on the static, don't want to waste that! I also received some herbs I had ordered to add to the rinse (marshmallow, hibiscus, and oatstraw) but I'd like to sort out the base before adding in herbs.

organicmoon
March 1st, 2014, 02:28 PM
I use just a tiny amount, quick dash if it's powder a little more if it's crystals. About 1/16-1/8 of a teaspoon. I put mine in a wide mouth plastic water bottle and fill it with shower water, dip my ends in, if they feel soft or sleek then I slowly pour the rest over my hair. My hair is about BSL so you made need more depending on length but this does fine in my hard water and when it was softer.

SlightlySoprano
March 2nd, 2014, 07:40 AM
I just ordered a full size bar of CV Coconut Milk, the best sample I have used so far. So excited to get it!! Since I've been using that bar, an AVC rinse and then a cold water rinse, holy shiny curls, Batman!!! :)

Snorman
March 2nd, 2014, 10:37 AM
I'm having trouble getting my hair to untangle... I use a citric acid rinse, but my hair is SO tangled right now, it's ridiculous... What can I do?

Kimberly
March 2nd, 2014, 01:42 PM
I'm having trouble getting my hair to untangle... I use a citric acid rinse, but my hair is SO tangled right now, it's ridiculous... What can I do?

I'd slime it up with some cocoanut oil and try to comb through it that way.

curlsgalore
March 2nd, 2014, 04:11 PM
I just ordered a full size bar of CV Coconut Milk, the best sample I have used so far. So excited to get it!! Since I've been using that bar, an AVC rinse and then a cold water rinse, holy shiny curls, Batman!!! :)

Hmm I need to try this one.

ChickaDee Q
March 5th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Yay! My hair must really like the citric acid rinse, although I did a half and half mixture. I used 1 tbsp. ACV and 1/8 tsp. citric acid with 2 cups herb infused water, so far this is a good combination for me. SNORMAN, I was getting the tangles as well, but the addition of the herb infused water instead of plain distilled has made a huge difference as well. No more tangles and has tamed the static as well. I used the first herbal ACV rinse directions (I substituted my citric acid in place of the ACV) listed on CV's Website. I've also found directions for a leave in spray detangler using marshmallow root and organic conditioner as well, but I'm yet to try this because the herbal rinse has worked so well. However, I think it could be a bit time consuming to make on a regular basis (I make a double batch and refrigerate it).

organicmoon
March 5th, 2014, 11:17 AM
If my hair is tangly after wash I mix acv with water in a spray bottle and use this after. A few sprays help also just a bit of coconut oil on the length helps too but not to much.

Neecola
March 5th, 2014, 11:32 AM

SlightlySoprano, I've been wanting to try the coconut milk bar but I thought it might be too heavy for my hair. I'm happy to see you like it so well since our hair types are similar!

Aderyn
March 5th, 2014, 08:15 PM
I do lather all the way to my ends. I believe I read somewhere that shampoo bars aren't like shampoo where letting the suds run down your length would be enough to clean it. So, I've been scrubbing all the way down...twice. Eek. No wonder my ends are dry. -goes to give them some TLC-

I only deliberately wash the entire length once or twice a month, I mainly use the shampoo bar to cleanse my scalp and the greasies up top. Just water usually suffices in the interim as a cleanser, especially since I wear my hair up so it doesn't get too dirty.

This would also depend on what your day-to-day life is like and what exactly your hair is exposed to, though. I find water sufficient for cleaning out sweat, dirt, dust, etc, but there may be other things harder for just water to wash out. Letting some more oil soak into ends (they are the oldest, most prone to damage part of your hair, after all) before and after washing may help alleviate the dryness as well, if you don't already do that.

Jumper
March 5th, 2014, 09:54 PM
If you decide to use conditioner with your shampoo bars don't anyone do what I did... I skipped the ACV rinse. My hair was so weird feeling and heavy even after it dried. I bought some clarifying shampoo and washed with that tonight and conditioned in order to start over and get my hair clean.

ravenheather
March 6th, 2014, 07:32 AM
What order are you doing if you use conditioner? Conditioner before or after the acv rinse?

Jumper
March 6th, 2014, 08:27 AM
After, because I hate the smell of ACV. And my ends were getting too dry without any conditioning.

Rushli
March 6th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I am currently struggling with 2 issues

1. My scalp itches. Just a little at first but by the end of day 2, it is a little trying. At first I thought it was just because of allergies, as the dandruffiness and slight itch were very similar to how my hair normally reacts to allergies. The only difference was that I normally dont get it in the winter and that my 1-2x a month coconut oil scalp treatments usually take care of it. Now my hair needs an extra wash to get all the coconut oil out plus it does not seem to do anything for the itch.

2. Day 1 and most of day 2, I have the most wonderful hair. Soft, shiny, wavy when I want, brushed straight when I dont and stays in a bun so well. By the evening of day 2, the roots are greasy but can mostly be hidden with an updo, my length is soft, silky and wonderful to the touch, but wont stay in an updo. (it is the darn layers that slide right out.) When I used my poo with the sodium coco sulfate my roots did not look like this until day 4 for the most part (the down side was that the waviness disappeared and my hair was very dry this winter... I did not really do any leave ins, oils or aloe gel at the time, so I dont know if that would have made a difference. I have been using this one for years and did not really have any issues of dryness before this winter.)

I thought, given enough time, I would figure out the bars that work for me, and find a balance for all this. If I was fine with washing my hair every other day, I would have no issues, but I really want to only wash 2x a week (1x if I could get away with it!) I am doing a wear your hair up 6 month challenge so I need to be able to put it up and not have half of it sliding out within an hour. I still have plenty of samples left to keep trying and maybe I will solve these issues eventually but if anyone has any ideas, feel free to pass them along.

Routine:
poo bar (tend to alternate between a 'dryer' bar and a 'moisture' one) lather scalp, lather length, lather scalp, push lather down length, rinse with water
rinse is made up of 1 TBS AVC (cut down from 1.5 TBS I started with) to 1 Cup water and a good squeeze of honey. (a few essential oils too that I use frequently and know I have no issues with) leave in while doing other shower stuff then rinse out.
For wavy hair I tangle tease in shower, pat dry with towel, use a little aloe gel and 'plop' hair.
For straighter hair I pat dry, use a little aloe gel, air dry and TT later.

A bit of a side bar, but I tried Carrot, milk and honey and once again my hair loves it (for 2 days, that is!) but I seem to have tripled the about I shed. I shed very little, so I probably am in the normal range now.

ETA: After I re-read this to make sure it made sense, I realized I have not tried changing up my lathering amounts. My brain is sleep deprived, so could some one recommend if I should try lathering 3x or just 1x to affect the amount of time I can go between washes?

I also wanted to include that I dont currently take any allergy meds because I am breastfeeding and the meds dry my supply up. I dont normally take them in the winter anyway, but I wont try them to see if they help the issue right now either. I rather reach my goal of breastfeeding for a full year and deal with an itchy scalp or any 'damage' by washing too much or switching back to the sulfate shampoo than end up with him on formula and me with my dream hair. :)

Aderyn
March 6th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I am currently struggling with 2 issues

1. My scalp itches. Just a little at first but by the end of day 2, it is a little trying. At first I thought it was just because of allergies, as the dandruffiness and slight itch were very similar to how my hair normally reacts to allergies. The only difference was that I normally dont get it in the winter and that my 1-2x a month coconut oil scalp treatments usually take care of it. Now my hair needs an extra wash to get all the coconut oil out plus it does not seem to do anything for the itch.

Itchies are no fun! I've found using only moisturizing shampoo bars to help immensely with that. You may also want to try mixing in a few drops of tea tree oil into your coconut oil scalp treatment as tea tree oil can really help with that stuff.

Chromis
March 6th, 2014, 01:50 PM
I only like the more moisturizing bars myself since my scalp gets dry otherwise. I do use a couple drops of Nightblooming's Triple Moon Oil rubbed directly on my scalp after washing as well. Before I found that, I used cocnut oil, but still only a little bit. I don't do any "deep treatment" sort of things. I find a little bit more often is more effective for me though others like them.

Rushli
March 6th, 2014, 03:15 PM
I had forgotten about Melaleuca oil. I did not use it since I did not like the smell and the coconut oil did the trick. I just used the last of mine on my deodorant spray... maybe if I get the itchies again, I will spray deoderant on it, lol. Anyone know what witch hazel does to your hair?

My next shower was going to be a moisturizing bar. I used beer, egg and honey right before hopping on. Normally, 2 moisturizing washes right after each other makes my hair greasier faster, but I have only tried the same bar, both times. I will try Babassu Marsh Mallow next time.

I struggle with using oil in my hair. I try to use very little, but it always turns into a "deep treatment." If I even figure out how to not be so generous with the oil I would love to try some of Nightblooming's stuff. I have heard amazing things about it.

NaClH2O
March 6th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I have been using Chagrin Valley (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com) shampoo bars for the past couple months. I haven't found my perfect combination yet, but I am getting closer. My hair seems to like 2 lathers (scalp + full-length), then a very dilute ACV rinse in which I like to add a couple drops of essential oil. I have moderately hard water here.

My favorite shampoo bars so far are (in order of preference) --> Carrot/Milk/Honey, Chamomile Citrus, Summer Sunshine, Coconut milk

The shampoo bars I dislike are --> Neem/Tea Tree, Herb Garden (mainly due to unappealing scent).

I also tried some complexion bars --> Shea Rose & Clay, Adzuki Bean. I found these both very drying on my face. My facial skin seems to respond better to the more moisturizing body soaps like Honey Butter.

--------

Today, I received my first-ever order from Apple Valley (http://www.applevalleynaturalsoap.com) soaps:

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af44/shankity/ECC0E010-8FE6-4382-B5AA-839C26D82889_zpsuece8pwq.jpg?t=1394059231

The packing is super cute and the shipping was very quick. Their full-sized bars were a great deal, so I went with those instead of sample sizes. For first-time customers, if you sign up with their newsletter, your order is 10% off. So overall, it was pretty inexpensive.

We will see how they work out over the next few weeks! The scents are all divine. :inlove:

ExpectoPatronum
March 6th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Keep us posted on those bars, NaClH2O. I'd love to know how they are!

Chromis
March 6th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Those look really nice Salty!

Sadly US shipping only. I always check every time someone posts a new place since CV's international shipping has gotten too rich for my blood. If I know someone is visiting us from the US sometimes I will ask if I can have it sent to them to bring.

sumidha
March 6th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Those sound really nice! I'm silly and can't find the information on the webpage- what size are those full sized bars, NaClH2O?

NaClH2O
March 6th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Those sound really nice! I'm silly and can't find the information on the webpage- what size are those full sized bars, NaClH2O?

They actually don't say on their site for some reason.... But I believe I read it somewhere on their Facebook page. The full bars are approximately 5 oz each. The AV bars are a little smaller than full-size CV bars if you have seen those. :p

I just went and measured the AV bar to be about 3" x 3.5" by 1".

cdonald2
March 7th, 2014, 12:44 AM
How often are you supposed to use shampoo bars on your hair? i used to use liquid soap on my hair 3x a week. Would you recommend using it more, less or the same?

Rushli
March 7th, 2014, 12:57 AM
How often are you supposed to use shampoo bars on your hair? i used to use liquid soap on my hair 3x a week. Would you recommend using it more, less or the same?

My hair loves being washed with poo bars every other day.

Chromis
March 7th, 2014, 07:10 AM

I wash once a week, same as I did before shampoo bars. Sometimes twice in the heat of summer.

Neecola
March 7th, 2014, 11:27 AM

I find I have to wash less often. I was only ever able to wash every other day with sulfate free liquid shampoo and today is the 4th day after washing with my shampoo bar. I usually wash every third or fourth day now.

ExpectoPatronum
March 7th, 2014, 12:28 PM

As with anything, it's really up to your hair. Like others, I find I can stretch a little longer between washes. I was an every other day washer with liquid shampoo, but I can go every two days now since switching to shampoo bars.

Rushli
March 7th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Day 1 after using beer, egg and honey and my hair is very slippery. My layers are sliding right out of each bun I have tried. Plus side is that it is not greasy yet and is super smooth and silky! I will find out tomorrow night if this bar will let me go more than 2 days in between washes.

SlightlySoprano
March 7th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I find I have to wash less often. I was only ever able to wash every other day with sulfate free liquid shampoo and today is the 4th day after washing with my shampoo bar. I usually wash every third or fourth day now.

Me too! Neecola, we are truly hair twins :)

sumidha
March 7th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Rushli, I found the extra beer and egg to be the most slippy of the bars I've tried so far as well, it's my favorite so far. I think I'll be ordering a beer egg and honey sample next time. :)

Aderyn
March 7th, 2014, 10:24 PM
I wash twice a week. Same as before I switched to shampoo bars. I could probably stretch it to every 5-6 days now if I used a BBB, maybe even longer since I wear my hair up all of the time, but I'm trying to see if the Chestnut Henna from Chagrin Valley will darken my hair or bring out any highlights, so I'm sticking to twice a week.

Snorman
March 8th, 2014, 04:49 PM

I'm using it way less. With "regular" shampoo, I washed about every other day. Now I can manage with washing once a week (although, I often wash to times a week, cause I like to shower, and somedays I work out real badass and my head gets all sweaty..:P)

ExpectoPatronum
March 8th, 2014, 06:53 PM
So, I finally found citric acid in a local store...in a tiny section for making beer, oddly enough. I used it today - about a quarter teaspoon to two cups of water - and WOW. I don't think I'm going back to ACV. Not only did it work better for my hair, but there's no smell. I'm very happy with the results of this experiment. :)

NaClH2O
March 8th, 2014, 07:45 PM
I have used Apple Valley (http://www.applevalleynaturalsoap.com) shampoo bars for 2 washes now, and all I can say is WOW! :inlove:

These bars lather way more for me than the CV bars ever have. I used one lather on scalp, rinsed, then one lather on scalp and full length of hair. When I washed the soap out, my hair didn't feel as weirdly waxy and tacky like it usually does with shampoo bars. I could almost run my fingers through my hair, which is unheard of for me. I barely needed to do the ACV rinse, but did anyway because I already made it beforehand. With the ACV, my hair immediately untangled in the shower, almost like I had just used conditioner. My hair dried happy, perfectly moisturized, feeling light and soft.

Big thumbs up for Apply Valley soaps from me! :thumbsup:

Their shampoo bars are the perfect amount of moisturizing power, without leaving my hair feeling weighted down or waxy. I have also found that the scent of the bar lingers long after my hair is dried. I LOVE this because it masks the scent of the ACV and leaves my hair smelling delicious all day long. That was what I missed the most about commercial products.

Also, the face bar is way more moisturizing that the CV complexion bars I have tried. I highly recommend it if you are trying to use soap as a face wash and finding it too drying. I bought Lavender/Chamomile bar, and didn't even need to use moisturizer afterwards. Plus, it smells divine. The scent of this bar also lingers, so I find it relaxing to use it just before bedtime.

I will continue to use these shampoo bars and face bar over the next few weeks and see if anything changes. But, fingers crossed, it seems as though I found my holy grail products! :toast:

ImaTrucker
March 8th, 2014, 09:25 PM
I am learning so much on this site. Who knew there were shampoo bars?! I can't wait to experiment. :)

Rushli
March 8th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Day 2: slightly greasy. Tried dry shampoo for the first time and it did the trick. Itchies are also minor compared to before. After church I will attempt to oil my scalp without over doing it.

curlsgalore
March 8th, 2014, 10:54 PM
So I decided to experiment a little. I've been loving my shampoo bars, CV and AV varieties. I usually do an occasional ACV rinse but keep forgetting to make a mix before my shower so I've been doing CWC with my shampoo bars. I actually had great results with just suave as my sole conditioner the first time, unheard of for me! I'm a curly and need lots of moisture. I co-wash with VO5 or suave occasionally but they are never moisturizing enough for me. Anyway, I rinsed my hair and added some conditioner, lathered with my shampoo bar, rinsed and added a little extra conditioner, rinsed again and styled as normal. I'm definitely going to keep doing this with the inexpensive conditioners and may try others. My hair has been so happy, soft and shiny. I haven't used the ACV in quite a while. I will still use it every now and again but will definitely be doing CWC with my shampoo bars :).

Anyone else try this?

Jumper
March 8th, 2014, 11:03 PM
After a few washes I think I may need to only use conditioner when my hair feels dry, because it was practically greasy today (unheard of for my head of hair). I re washed tonight with just the butter conditioning shampoo bar and an ACV rinse, fingers crossed it dries perfect.

sumidha
March 9th, 2014, 02:04 PM
So I decided to experiment a little. I've been loving my shampoo bars, CV and AV varieties. I usually do an occasional ACV rinse but keep forgetting to make a mix before my shower so I've been doing CWC with my shampoo bars. I actually had great results with just suave as my sole conditioner the first time, unheard of for me! I'm a curly and need lots of moisture. I co-wash with VO5 or suave occasionally but they are never moisturizing enough for me. Anyway, I rinsed my hair and added some conditioner, lathered with my shampoo bar, rinsed and added a little extra conditioner, rinsed again and styled as normal. I'm definitely going to keep doing this with the inexpensive conditioners and may try others. My hair has been so happy, soft and shiny. I haven't used the ACV in quite a while. I will still use it every now and again but will definitely be doing CWC with my shampoo bars :).

Anyone else try this?

I really like this!

I used a super cone-y leave in a couple times recently, so after I do a few plain shampoo bar washes to make sure it's not building up on the ends I'm totally going to try this. The bars clean my scalp like nothing else, but leave my damaged, porous ends very dry. I've never been really into the classic CWC but I think condition-shampoo bar-condition is a great idea. :D

Bruiser
March 9th, 2014, 04:02 PM
I've been doing the CWC with the CV bars and desert essence coconut condish and it's been awesome my ends are bleach damaged and it was hit or miss with just bars and ACV wether or not my ends would be crunchy this way I get slippy hair every time, feels and looks just as good as when I was using cones

Jumper
March 11th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I did try cwc with the shampoo bar last night, and Aussie moist and Herbal essences totally twisted as the conditioners (I would just use the same conditioner but I figured, why not use them both).

I woke up this morning and my hair still wasn't totally dry by any stretch of the imagination but you could see it was way curlier than it has been with just the bars/ACV, and I was in a rush and I just ran the tangle teezer through it (probably too roughly). My scalp was dry (not feeling dry, I mean actually dry after my shower) and the little short hairs that pop out all over my head would not lay down so once I braided it I slicked them down with some panacea and ran it over the braid too.

As I worked and my hair dried I could feel hair popping out basically all over my head. When I got home from work I looked in the mirror and saw the little hairs popped back up and basically curled straight up. I can't imagine what everyone at work must have thought. Hair was popping out of my braid all over and once I unbraided it my shortest layers had a little curl to the bottom of them. It was a mess.

A good mess. I want my hair to be wavy/wurlier and I know it can be, it's just a matter of the right conditions.

So overall id say cwc with shampoo bars is a great success that I will probably do from now on, to see what it will look like long term. But for today - after unbraiding it I combed it carefully and used twice as much panacea as usual to slick it down and convince it to behave.

chrissy-b
March 12th, 2014, 06:29 PM
I am currently waiting on two bars from HennaSooq (Cocoveda & Mad Moisture) to see how those work out for me. Anyone have any experience with the Mad Moisture?

Just an update on how these worked out -- they didn't. I've been using shampoo bars off and on for years and this is the first time I've tried ones that didn't work at all.

I can't get the Cocoveda to lather at all, and the Mad Moisture isn't much better. Both of them leave my hair sticky and waxy once dry, even with an ACV rinse. Of the two, Mad Moisture is slightly better, but I've been having to use them both as hand soaps because they just don't work on my hair. Oh, and they both smell terrible. I'm pretty disappointed. Maybe I got a bad batch?

Aderyn
March 12th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Have been using the Chagrin Valley Chestnut Henna Shampoo Bar and I'm liking it quite a lot. Leaves my hair soft and shiny. I'm thinking I'm liking it a bit more than the Carrot Milk and Honey one I just finished using. Still curious about the color deposit that it may or may not give, though. I've also been looking at the Cafe Moreno one, and am interested in the color deposit of that one as well.

carrielynn
March 13th, 2014, 04:47 AM
Just an update on how these worked out -- they didn't. I've been using shampoo bars off and on for years and this is the first time I've tried ones that didn't work at all.

I can't get the Cocoveda to lather at all, and the Mad Moisture isn't much better. Both of them leave my hair sticky and waxy once dry, even with an ACV rinse. Of the two, Mad Moisture is slightly better, but I've been having to use them both as hand soaps because they just don't work on my hair. Oh, and they both smell terrible. I'm pretty disappointed. Maybe I got a bad batch?

I got a sample of the Cocoveda bar and only tried it once so far, I couldn't get it to lather AT ALL either. It was very frustrating. I spent more time trying to spread the shampoo through my hair than I spent on the entire rest of my shower. I think I read somewhere that many poo bars contain castor oil to create the lather, which these bars don't have.

chrissy-b
March 13th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I got a sample of the Cocoveda bar and only tried it once so far, I couldn't get it to lather AT ALL either. It was very frustrating. I spent more time trying to spread the shampoo through my hair than I spent on the entire rest of my shower. I think I read somewhere that many poo bars contain castor oil to create the lather, which these bars don't have.

That sucks to hear that it didn't work for you either but I'm glad it's not because I got a bad bar. It doesn't even feel like it cleans my hair at all either -- so strange. I hadn't heard that about castor oil. The Mad Moisture lathers a bit and doesn't have castor oil, but I wonder if it works better because it's for hair AND body.

chrissy-b
March 13th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I've been looking at Apple Valley Soaps and their shampoo bars have some good reviews (but so did Cocoveda). Does anyone here have any experience with those? I don't want to shell out more $$ for bars that aren't going to work. The best bars I've used so far have been from CV and Fresh as a Daisy Soaps on etsy, but none have yet to be my holy grail.

NaClH2O
March 13th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I've been looking at Apple Valley Soaps and their shampoo bars have some good reviews (but so did Cocoveda). Does anyone here have any experience with those? I don't want to shell out more $$ for bars that aren't going to work. The best bars I've used so far have been from CV and Fresh as a Daisy Soaps on etsy, but none have yet to be my holy grail.

I literally just reviewed Apply Valley on the previous page -> Link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74&page=639&p=2663420&viewfull=1#post2663420).

chrissy-b
March 13th, 2014, 05:36 PM
I literally just reviewed Apply Valley on the previous page -> Link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74&page=639&p=2663420&viewfull=1#post2663420).

Can't believe I missed that. Thank you!

NaClH2O
March 13th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Can't believe I missed that. Thank you!

Yep! :p You will love them!

Artista
March 13th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Just a tip for you Chagrin Valley fans..... Sign up to receive their news letters. There is a sale next Tues and Wed that only you get the tip on if you sign up for it.

Artista
March 13th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Do all Apple Valley shampoo bars smells stay in your hair so you can smell it?

Lady Danger
March 16th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Further updates on my shampoo bar rediscovery adventure:

- Of CV and SCH, I definitely only like the SCH bars for my hair. I can use them repeatedly and have no buildup or other issues. I've discovered that I don't like the Vegan Hemp/Vegan Babassu varieties; I'm assuming the types of oils in those simply don't agree with my hair, because whenever I try them I get overly clumpy, limp hair. But, the Vegan Herbal, Silk Herbal, and Silk Marshmallow varieties are all DIVINE on my hair. I don't get greasy as quickly and my hair is soft and smooth. I also notice less shedding.

- After much trial and error, I've settled on 1 TBS ACV in 1 LITER of water, left on for a few min. and then rinsed out. At first I was leaving the ACV in, but I think that was causing my ends to dry a little.

- Yesterday I slept through my alarm after having not felt well during the night. I had perspired a lot and my scalp was far too greasy to not shampoo, but I was extremely short on time. I broke down and used my old organic liquid shampoo and OH MY GOODNESS WAS I MISERABLE. I hadn't realized how stripping it had been. My hair was stripped, dry and static-y, but then almost immediately started getting greasy and itchy, I imagine because my scalp was overproducing oil to compensate. What a mess! In addition, my forehead and eyelids were SUPER oily all day. I realized that I hadn't been suffering from oily eyelids and forehead as much since switching to bar shampoos. I couldn't wait to shampoo again with one of my beloved SCH bars!

- Kathleen at SCH (who is so lovely) must also think I'm insane, because every time I notice a new bar in one of the varieties I like, I order it. ;-) Lavender Rose is probably my favorite scent-wise. Sooooooo good.

ExpectoPatronum
March 18th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Just a reminder that CV has a 10% off your order thing going on until tomorrow! You have to use a code which was sent in an email.

I bought a full size of the Babassu Marsh Mallow and a sample of Cafe Moreno. However, I noticed that the marsh mallow one is no longer 7oz for a full-size, but now 5.8oz. I suppose that's not a HUGE difference, but I'd much rather get the full 7oz. My hair really responds well to that bar though. I will probably be sampling from other places eventually.

Artista
March 18th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Just a reminder that CV has a 10% off your order thing going on until tomorrow! You have to use a code which was sent in an email.

I bought a full size of the Babassu Marsh Mallow and a sample of Cafe Moreno. However, I noticed that the marsh mallow one is no longer 7oz for a full-size, but now 5.8oz. I suppose that's not a HUGE difference, but I'd much rather get the full 7oz. My hair really responds well to that bar though. I will probably be sampling from other places eventually.

Probably the price of an ingredient in babassu went up. That's what they said when I asked why soapnuts which I love was smaller than other bars. Instead of raising the price, they make the soaps a bit smaller.

Cafe Moreno smells devine! It's like cloves. It didn't work for my hair but I used the sample on my body. That's what great about shampoo bars, if they don't work on your hair, they can on your body!

Artista
March 20th, 2014, 06:22 PM
So I got my first order from Apple Valley today! Buttermilk lavender full poo bar, pink lemonade and coconut citrus samples. They tossed in a nettles and green tea sample for free! They must have read my mind cuz I was thinking of this for when I get the itchies with my dermatitis issue!

The smelllllllllllllls! mmmm mmmmm! I not a lavender person but the mix of vanilla or something in it makes it blisssss! Can't wait for wash days ahead!

Natalia
March 22nd, 2014, 07:41 PM
Now that I have bangs im jumping in :). Just placed a CV order for samples of Rosemary Mint, Rosemary Lavender, Henna Auburn, Extra Honey Beer, Coconut Milk and a Mocha Java lip balm for kicks :). They were the only ones on the site I could use due to my allergies so hopefully something in there will be good for my bangs and occosioal scalp washings.

For anyone with bangs do you find the need to rinse or condish them after bars? I have soft water and usually wash my bangs at the sink since they need it a lot more often than the rest of my hair.

Artista
March 22nd, 2014, 08:55 PM
Tried the Apple Valley Lavender Buttermilk shampoo bar. OMG! The smell is heavenly, first! Mostly lavender with a hint of vanilla. Very unique! To boot the scent while strong on the bar, dissipates a bit when hair is dry but you can still get subtle hints of the luscious fragrance. It lathered great and has left my hair very soft, very shiny, and scalp who is always angry feels great!

Natalia
March 22nd, 2014, 09:09 PM
Tried the Apple Valley Lavender Buttermilk shampoo bar. OMG! The smell is heavenly, first! Mostly lavender with a hint of vanilla. Very unique! To boot the scent while strong on the bar, dissipates a bit when hair is dry but you can still get subtle hints of the luscious fragrance. It lathered great and has left my hair very soft, very shiny, and scalp who is always angry feels great!

Oh that sounds delicious! I will have to check out that maker if my hair likes the CV bars. always looking for makers who have latex and nut free options for me. Glad your scalp is feeling better too

Artista
March 23rd, 2014, 02:37 PM
Oh that sounds delicious! I will have to check out that maker if my hair likes the CV bars. always looking for makers who have latex and nut free options for me. Glad your scalp is feeling better too
I like Apple Valley better than CV so far with what I've tried: coconut citrus and lavender buttermilk. Am getting pink lemonade and rose poo bars next.

I love scents and scents to stay in my hair even if it's mild. Lavender buttermilk stays in pretty well. It's strong out of the bag but mellows out in dry hair. I asked her if she could make the scents stronger so it stays better in your hair and she said since she uses pure EOs that it can't get stronger than what she's doing if you want all natural products. You can always get fake scents but then goes the all natural part. I'm not much into pure florals but she's mixed lavender with vanilla and it smells spa like! Natalie offers samples, too. It's a cute family of 9 kids in which they all are put to work. I love finding good products that supports a family.

Of the CV poo bars, I like the soap nuts and extra honey beer. Others I had tried over time didn't pan out for me. If you are a scent person then Apple Valley is it as I tried most of the poo bars from CV and didn't have scents except for like herb garden which I don't like herbs in my hair. I didn't try lavender spice so maybe that one has scent.

Customer service via email is faster than CV too. Very nice and helpful folks. That's big for me too. :)

Oh and another thing, when you write a review, it directly goes on the page. No pre-viewing to discard the not so good reviews like they do at CV.

Kimberly
March 23rd, 2014, 04:21 PM
Artista, that's so funny -- I like CV Honey, Beer & Egg in part because it doesn't leave much scent in my hair. I like products to leave no scent at all. Sometimes I just don't want to smell like anything, and other times I don't want conflict with perfumes. I totally get you, though -- I used to really be into picking products with nice scents. Anyway, thank you for the lingering scent comparison between brands. I was curious about that!

Artista
March 23rd, 2014, 06:41 PM
Artista, that's so funny -- I like CV Honey, Beer & Egg in part because it doesn't leave much scent in my hair. I like products to leave no scent at all. Sometimes I just don't want to smell like anything, and other times I don't want conflict with perfumes. I totally get you, though -- I used to really be into picking products with nice scents. Anyway, thank you for the lingering scent comparison between brands. I was curious about that!
I saw the totally shea poo bar at AV has no added scent. I don't wear perfumes and I use Morrocco Method dragon gel which is all natural and unscented. But it is weird that while I'm not into added scents, I do love massaging them into my hair and body and having the scent come from that.

Natalia
March 24th, 2014, 10:44 PM
I like Apple Valley better than CV so far with what I've tried: coconut citrus and lavender buttermilk. Am getting pink lemonade and rose poo bars next.

I love scents and scents to stay in my hair even if it's mild. Lavender buttermilk stays in pretty well. It's strong out of the bag but mellows out in dry hair. I asked her if she could make the scents stronger so it stays better in your hair and she said since she uses pure EOs that it can't get stronger than what she's doing if you want all natural products. You can always get fake scents but then goes the all natural part. I'm not much into pure florals but she's mixed lavender with vanilla and it smells spa like! Natalie offers samples, too. It's a cute family of 9 kids in which they all are put to work. I love finding good products that supports a family.

Of the CV poo bars, I like the soap nuts and extra honey beer. Others I had tried over time didn't pan out for me. If you are a scent person then Apple Valley is it as I tried most of the poo bars from CV and didn't have scents except for like herb garden which I don't like herbs in my hair. I didn't try lavender spice so maybe that one has scent.

Customer service via email is faster than CV too. Very nice and helpful folks. That's big for me too. :)

Oh and another thing, when you write a review, it directly goes on the page. No pre-viewing to discard the not so good reviews like they do at CV.

Great to know thank you :). I went through the site and made a pinterest board of all the allergy safe bars they have (having to avoid shea and nut oils makes poo bars hard to come by) so if the CV don't like me then I will give them a go. I like that they also offer samples. As its mostly just for my bangs a whole bar would be silly. Im not a huge scent person but I thinkt hats in large part to all my skin issues. I stopped being able to use conventional stuff about 5 years ago. I went for natural most of the time anyone but im a sucker for jasmine and gardenia and natural products like that are pricey so id go conventional for special treats like that.

I really hope I can get these to work for me. For the last few years the only thing my scalp will tolerate is Aubrey's JAY shampoo which iss hard to come by in a small town. Thank god for online right. But it would be nice to get something even simpler and less packaged.

Also hope ya all don't mind but seeing as I still cant find a lot of the old content any tips on vinegar/citric acid proportions for someone using soft water? I used to do around 1 tablespoon per cup for added shine an less tangles when I was S&C or CO. Is that enough for poo bars in general? Ive heard some people mixing 50/50 vinegar/water in a mister and using it that way rather than as a rinse out. Since its just bangs if it goes bad not as much of a big eal to re-wash but I like having a starting point. I have citric acid around and it would be easier for travel so if anyone has reccs on that I would appreciate it as well. I know there is a "miracle" water recipe around is that a good start for poo bars?

Thanks for tolerating the busy poo bar noob :)

Theobroma
March 25th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Also hope ya all don't mind but seeing as I still cant find a lot of the old content any tips on vinegar/citric acid proportions for someone using soft water? I used to do around 1 tablespoon per cup for added shine an less tangles when I was S&C or CO. Is that enough for poo bars in general? Ive heard some people mixing 50/50 vinegar/water in a mister and using it that way rather than as a rinse out.

I'd say that even 1 tbsp per cup is a stronger solution than necessary. I use about two tablespoons of vinegar in a litre of water and that's plenty acidic enough in my experience!

We've never actually had our water tested, but I think it's reasonably soft. At any rate, I run a steam humidifier in winter and I don't have to descale it more than once a year or so.

ExpectoPatronum
March 25th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Got my CV order today and man...Cafe Moreno smells nice. I'm wondering if I should have gotten a full size bar instead of a sample.

And even though the babassu marsh mallow is now smaller (5.8oz), the bar is still a really good size. I can't imagine what the 7oz bars look like!

sumidha
March 25th, 2014, 05:19 PM
I've been doing a weird modified C/W/C like what was discussed a couple pages back, and it's really been working well for me so far. The first time I used a little conditioner as a leave in at the end, but this most recent time I didn't follow up with any conditioner and everything seems fine. I used Suave on the length, then the shampoo bar on my scalp, squished the suds down the length like normal, rinsed it all out and then did the acidic rinse. Rinsed that out at the end of the shower, and resisted the temptation to use more conditioner. I can detangle with my fingers, without any additional oil or conditioner but my hair has no noticeable conditioner residue or slickness, it's just soft and easy to detangle. I'm pretty happy. :)

Also, the BF has been less than religious about using the shampoo bars lately, and his scalp was really unhappy... After one wash with the bar last night he's completely flake free, so I'm pretty optimistic that we've found the magic bullet to deal with his super finicky scalp. Yaay shampoo bars!

ExpectoPatronum
March 25th, 2014, 08:30 PM
I'm horrible and bought a full size of the Cafe Moreno bar today. I used the sample for my wash day today and I fell in love. My hair loves this bar and it smells divine. The scent also actually lingers in my hair! Normally, I would have waited until I had used up more of my other one, but I've noticed the Cafe Moreno one gets sold out quickly and with my luck, it would be sold out when I needed it.

Now to motivate myself to use up the other bar...

sumidha, bars worked the same magic for my scalp too. No flakes and no itchies!

Natalia
March 26th, 2014, 01:24 AM
I'd say that even 1 tbsp per cup is a stronger solution than necessary. I use about two tablespoons of vinegar in a litre of water and that's plenty acidic enough in my experience!

We've never actually had our water tested, but I think it's reasonably soft. At any rate, I run a steam humidifier in winter and I don't have to descale it more than once a year or so.

Ok great to know im already above recommended. At least I know that dilution works and can scale it down from there. Sounds like you are gifted with lovely water! We are at the top of the hardness scale only certain well water in our area is harder. We have a whole house salt softener which is a godsend with my skin issues.

I'm horrible and bought a full size of the Cafe Moreno bar today. I used the sample for my wash day today and I fell in love. My hair loves this bar and it smells divine. The scent also actually lingers in my hair! Normally, I would have waited until I had used up more of my other one, but I've noticed the Cafe Moreno one gets sold out quickly and with my luck, it would be sold out when I needed it.

Now to motivate myself to use up the other bar...

sumidha, bars worked the same magic for my scalp too. No flakes and no itchies!

YAY! Yes that is a bar im envious of but it has some of my allergens in it. I adore coffee (an cant drink it) so I get that scent anywhere I can. Well if you don't like the other bar for your hair you can always shave with it or use it for pets if all the ingredients are safe.

Cania
March 26th, 2014, 04:52 AM
I've started using AromaVille 'poo bars, and I am in love! I just slosh a bit of ACV in a jug and top it up with water, I'm not too precise about it but I did use too much at first and it made my hair feel a bit ucky.

My frizz is completely gone, my hair feels SUPER soft... but I am getting more splits than usual! :doh: Going to try adding some catnip to my routine and see if that sorts things out. Fingers crossed~

NaClH2O
March 26th, 2014, 11:21 AM
I have been using shampoo bars for almost 3 months now, but have just started having a strange problem in the last week or so.... ITCHY SCALP!! It is driving me nuts. I skipped the vinegar rinse for the last 2 washes thinking that was causing dryness and therefore itchiness, but nope... I'm still itching like crazy.

Anyone have this problem before? I have been alternating between CV chamomile/citrus and AV masala chai shampoo bars.

Currently have a coconut oil treatment marinating on my head in hopes that it will help stop the itchiness. But really, I'm at my wits ends. I've have never experienced such an itchy, irritated scalp before. Do you think I need to try a more moisturizing shampoo bar? I do have a sample of CV butter bar conditioner...., maybe I should try that for my next wash? Any advice is appreciated.

Neecola
March 26th, 2014, 11:41 AM
^ Bummer. I've never used the marsala chai bar but I do use and love the chamomile citrus bar from CV. I consider this bar pretty cleansing and I find I must alternate with some of the more moisturizing bars. I think trying the butter bar is a good idea, since you already have it on hand.

Cania
March 26th, 2014, 11:53 AM
I have been using shampoo bars for almost 3 months now, but have just started having a strange problem in the last week or so.... ITCHY SCALP!! It is driving me nuts. I skipped the vinegar rinse for the last 2 washes thinking that was causing dryness and therefore itchiness, but nope... I'm still itching like crazy.

Anyone have this problem before? I have been alternating between CV chamomile/citrus and AV masala chai shampoo bars.

Currently have a coconut oil treatment marinating on my head in hopes that it will help stop the itchiness. But really, I'm at my wits ends. I've have never experienced such an itchy, irritated scalp before. Do you think I need to try a more moisturizing shampoo bar? I do have a sample of CV butter bar conditioner...., maybe I should try that for my next wash? Any advice is appreciated.

I had a horribly itchy scalp when I first started using them. I did a nice scalp oiling and the problem never came back, despite my routine staying the same :shrug:
How many times do you rub the bar over your scalp? I suspect I use too much lather, but the problem hasn't come back yet so I'm not too worried :P

NaClH2O
March 26th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks for your input Neecola :o I tried the butter bar about a month ago and it made my hair pretty greasy, and I haven't used it since. But I'm going to try it later today and see how it does... Hopefully some extra moisture will solve the problem!

Cania, I do one lather scalp-only, and then a second lather involving scalp + length. The coconut oil feels really nice sitting on my scalp right now. I was planning on letting it sit for an hour or so then washing it out with a more moisturizing bar. It's promising to hear that you went through a similar situation and oiling helped! Thanks for reassuring me :p

Lydialove
March 26th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Are the shampoo bars the only changes you've made recently? Maybe you're developing a sensitivity to one of the ingredients. I'd try the butter bar for a bit since it's got the least potential for having irritating ingredients. If your scalp settles down you can try one of the other bars at a time to maybe narrow down what's irritating.

I'm trying to think of stuff you could apply to your head that might make the itching calm down... I wonder if some sort of oatmilk rinse would be helpful. Soak oats for at least four hours, blend or process and apply topically. I think if you strained the oatmilk in a fine mesh or a coffee filter, it would be easier to wash out. I haven't read anything to suggest oatmilk would be damaging to your hair, and in fact I just googled it an just now and found an LHC thread on just on oatmilk as a conditioner! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43441

NaClH2O
March 26th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Well I washed out the coconut oil wish the conditioner bar..... End result was not ideal. Not only am I still itchy (though slightly less than before), but the length is really oily/wet looking. Also, the itchiness is extending down my forehead now - the skin feels really tight and uncomfortable to about 1/2" above my eyebrows.

I am considering the possibility that I am allergic to something..., but I have used several bars over the past week and am getting the same itchy results. I guess I'll go through the ingredient lists of the CV conditioner bar, chamomile/citrus, and the one from Apply Valley and see if any common ingredient stands out. This stinks.

Lydialove, I really like the looks of that oat milk rinse. I think I'll give it a try next time I wash. Thanks for the link!

Artista
March 26th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I just can't rave enough about Apple Valley's lavender and buttermilk poo bar! My angry itchy dermatitis scalp is resolved, hair is so silky smooth, and the smellllllllllllllllllllll! I forget who mentioned Apple Valley here but THANKS! They were out of the samples so I plunged into the full bar and am so glad! I'm in heaven after trying CV for so many years, couldn't imagine anything else could be better! Plus I love supporting the 9 kids family.. :D

Cania
March 27th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Well I washed out the coconut oil wish the conditioner bar..... End result was not ideal. Not only am I still itchy (though slightly less than before), but the length is really oily/wet looking. Also, the itchiness is extending down my forehead now - the skin feels really tight and uncomfortable to about 1/2" above my eyebrows.

I am considering the possibility that I am allergic to something..., but I have used several bars over the past week and am getting the same itchy results. I guess I'll go through the ingredient lists of the CV conditioner bar, chamomile/citrus, and the one from Apply Valley and see if any common ingredient stands out. This stinks.

Lydialove, I really like the looks of that oat milk rinse. I think I'll give it a try next time I wash. Thanks for the link!

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! I had the same horrible itching (almost burning!) that started on the scalp and spread to the forehead when I was using Lush bars. I'm convinced I was allergic to it, but it took a few washes before it started so I wasn't sure. I switched shampoo bars in the end to something less harsh :/
Head and shoulders really took the edge off the burning - I found it just got worse and worse in the days after the wash, rather than going away. I get that you'll probably be reluctant to use it, but it's a good last resort.

SybilVane
March 27th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Hello everyone,

It's my first post in this thread, though I've read about half of it :D I've been experimenting with Aromaville shampoo bars for about 3 weeks now and while my hair loves them, my scalp strongly disagrees :( It gets very itchy with a few sore bumps. I've experimented with different bars and different rinses (lemon and ACV at different ratios), but no change. I'm starting to suspect it might be a reaction to the coconut oil which is present in all my bars: my skin reacted badly to it when I tried to use it as a moisturiser, and I also had the itchies when I COed with a coconut conditioner. Would any of you knowledgeable people know of shampoo bars that do not use coconut oil? I'd love to give that a try to see if my scalp would be happier. Thanks :)

NaClH2O
March 27th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Apply Valley's Simply Shea shampoo bar (http://www.applevalleynaturalsoap.com/simply-shea-shampoo-bar/) does not include coconut oil. I have not tried this, however, so can't give any feedback. I am currently going through the same "itchy scalp problem", but I haven't had any issues with coconut oil in the past....so maybe our issues are from different causes.

I might take a break from shampoo bars for a bit until I can get this under control. I did a deep conditioning treatment with Aussie's 3-minute-miracle last night and am feeling SO much better today. I really think my scalp was just starved from moisture.

SybilVane
March 27th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Apply Valley's Simply Shea shampoo bar (http://www.applevalleynaturalsoap.com/simply-shea-shampoo-bar/) does not include coconut oil. I have not tried this, however, so can't give any feedback. I am currently going through the same "itchy scalp problem", but I haven't had any issues with coconut oil in the past....so maybe our issues are from different causes.

I might take a break from shampoo bars for a bit until I can get this under control. I did a deep conditioning treatment with Aussie's 3-minute-miracle last night and am feeling SO much better today. I really think my scalp was just starved from moisture.

Thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try. I do have a dry scalp, so it might be starved from moisture too though... Anyway, I think I'll go back to Head & Shoulders in the meantime, I find it very soothing though I'd have preferred to use something more natural. Good luck finding something that works for you :)

Rushli
March 28th, 2014, 03:38 PM
I think I am taking a poo bar break. I had the itches and found only the honey, beer and egg, and henna auburn did not make it worse. I also realized this week that it was also making my scalp hurt. You know the feeling when your hair dries one way and then you try parting it another way? Well, it started off a bit like that and kept increasing. I thought it was just from changing how I dried it and styled it, but when it was happening all over my head, and happening when it was wet, I thought the bars likely was the issue. Just had my second CO wash in a week and the pain and tenderness is gone. From reading a few threads on here, I know I need to see if vinegar could be the cause and not the bars. I dont know if it is just vinegar and I can try the citric acid, or if it is the acid in general that can do it. In which case, the bars are out anyway. I might add a ACV rinse with my next time to rule it out.

I will be ordering some shaving soap from the soap lady for DH's birthday, so I am going to throw in a poo bar sample pack and will give them a try too --assuming my experiments dont prove acid rinses are my issues. I also want to order the Cafe Moreno bar for DH (he likes the clove smell) and auburn henna in full size bars and Extra Honey
Beer, Olive Babassu and the butter sample bar. I think I also need to figure out what regular soap bars to try.

Artista
March 28th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Apple Valley poo bars have stopped my excessive hair loss! I can't believe my luck! CV never decreased it. Soooo happy! :D

ravenheather
March 28th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Which particular bar is helping with shedding?

Natalia
March 28th, 2014, 11:06 PM
YAY my CV bars arrived! Problem is I am here (at my sisters) and they are there (home) but my dad went and picked them up for me so they don't get swiped before I get home. I shall have lots to play with when I get home and some yummy lip balm to boot :)

Artista
March 29th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Which particular bar is helping with shedding?

Lavender buttermilk mostly but they all seem to be. It's either AV or I've all of the sudden became lucky after 8 years of battling with a lot of hair loss and dermatitis. I've also tried pink lemonade, marshmallow/aloe, coconut citrus, bella rose, chamomile/orange blossom and green tea nettle. Lavender buttermilk remains my fav with marshmallow/aloe second and coconut citrus third. Green tea nettle is great too but I'm saving that for winter when I need nettle for helping with the flakes.

For each order you place, they send you free a sliver of another shampoo bar (since that's all I've bought). The sliver is almost the size of the sample, it's pretty generous! CV doesn't do that. I got the green tea nettle with my first order and peppermint tea tree with my second. Peppermint tea smells fantastic and I'm saving it for summer for the cool down.

If you love floral scents, bella rose has a strong rose smell and chamomile/orange blossom is flowery too. I don't care much for florals but luckily lavender/buttermilk has enough vanilla mixed in that it's a nice mixed scent.

I just can't stop touching my hair! I put all my CV poo bars aside. Next order from AV will be lime spa and lemon lavender salt bars (love salt bars for exfoliation) and rhassoul/avocado.

I've seen on their fb page sometimes they have nice sales/clearances.

If you decide to try AV, sign up for the newsletter first. It'll give you a code to take 10% off your first order.

ravenheather
March 29th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the info. I have some african black soap otw. Not sure who I will order from after I try that.

Natalia
March 29th, 2014, 05:14 PM
chamomile/orange blossom is flowery tooIf you decide to try AV, sign up for the newsletter first. It'll give you a code to take 10% off your first order.

Yum that orange blossom scent is right up my alley. Its possibly my favorite thing of living in So-Cal is smelling the orchards in bloom :D. Good to know about the coupon one I try the one si have I will sign up

Rushli
March 30th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Well, turns out the sore scalp is still here, but not nearly as bad. CO was not working out so well and my hair was feeling gross so I broke down and used my Yes to Carrots shampoo.

I have been looking at the AV site and found the bars are 5 oz, but how big are the samples? They have a shaving bar too and some scents I think DH will like so I think i will have to order there too.

NaClH2O
March 30th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Well after 3 washes with Organix Tea Tree Mint S/C and a deep conditioning treatment with Aussie's 3-min-miracle, my scalp feels fantastic and itch-free. I think the shampoo bars were just sucking all the moisture out of my scalp, making it sore and itchy. My hair itself was actually fine..., so I'm thinking I'll try the bars again but just do a deep conditioning treatment every week or two. I like the smell and lather of the bars, but honestly, I really missed the feeling of conditioner on my scalp. I had been using shampoo bars for almost 3 months straight..., maybe my hair just wasn't ready for the sudden change! ;) I'm going to experiment with a regimen combining shampoo bars and conditioner, I know a few members have mentioned that working for them earlier in the thread.

Artista
March 31st, 2014, 11:13 AM
Well, turns out the sore scalp is still here, but not nearly as bad. CO was not working out so well and my hair was feeling gross so I broke down and used my Yes to Carrots shampoo.

I have been looking at the AV site and found the bars are 5 oz, but how big are the samples? They have a shaving bar too and some scents I think DH will like so I think i will have to order there too.
Samples are about as big as CV. CV says 1.2 oz, AV is 1 oz. The bars while sounds small are big. I didn't see a whole lot of difference between CV and AV full bars just looking at the AV.

NaClH2O
March 31st, 2014, 11:17 AM
Samples are about as big as CV. CV says 1.2 oz, AV is 1 oz. The bars while sounds small are big. I didn't see a whole lot of difference between CV and AV full bars just looking at the AV.

Full-sized CV bars are 7oz (a few exceptions), while AV bars are 5oz.

Neecola
March 31st, 2014, 11:18 AM
Well after 3 washes with Organix Tea Tree Mint S/C and a deep conditioning treatment with Aussie's 3-min-miracle, my scalp feels fantastic and itch-free. I think the shampoo bars were just sucking all the moisture out of my scalp, making it sore and itchy. My hair itself was actually fine..., so I'm thinking I'll try the bars again but just do a deep conditioning treatment every week or two. I like the smell and lather of the bars, but honestly, I really missed the feeling of conditioner on my scalp. I had been using shampoo bars for almost 3 months straight..., maybe my hair just wasn't ready for the sudden change! ;) I'm going to experiment with a regimen combining shampoo bars and conditioner, I know a few members have mentioned that working for them earlier in the thread.

Glad your hair is feeling back to normal again! I have found using conditioner with shampoo bars to be optimal for my hair.

Artista
March 31st, 2014, 11:30 AM
Also forgot to mention, for less than 13 oz, AV ships first class rather than priority mail for $5 flat free. CV does priority on all orders. So it is cheaper to get samples from AV.

duchess67
March 31st, 2014, 12:31 PM
This is good to know, Artista. I am doing all that I can to do stop shedding, though it has reduced, I'm not happy. Going to order Lavender buttermilk and a couple of other shampoo bars as well. Unfortunately AV ships only to the US, luckily for me my mom lives in the US and I'll be visiting her this April. Can't wait to try these shampoo bars.

Lavender buttermilk mostly but they all seem to be. It's either AV or I've all of the sudden became lucky after 8 years of battling with a lot of hair loss and dermatitis. I've also tried pink lemonade, marshmallow/aloe, coconut citrus, bella rose, chamomile/orange blossom and green tea nettle. Lavender buttermilk remains my fav with marshmallow/aloe second and coconut citrus third. Green tea nettle is great too but I'm saving that for winter when I need nettle for helping with the flakes.

For each order you place, they send you free a sliver of another shampoo bar (since that's all I've bought). The sliver is almost the size of the sample, it's pretty generous! CV doesn't do that. I got the green tea nettle with my first order and peppermint tea tree with my second. Peppermint tea smells fantastic and I'm saving it for summer for the cool down.

If you love floral scents, bella rose has a strong rose smell and chamomile/orange blossom is flowery too. I don't care much for florals but luckily lavender/buttermilk has enough vanilla mixed in that it's a nice mixed scent.

I just can't stop touching my hair! I put all my CV poo bars aside. Next order from AV will be lime spa and lemon lavender salt bars (love salt bars for exfoliation) and rhassoul/avocado.

I've seen on their fb page sometimes they have nice sales/clearances.

If you decide to try AV, sign up for the newsletter first. It'll give you a code to take 10% off your first order.

NaClH2O
March 31st, 2014, 01:46 PM
This morning I did a scalp-only wash with a CV bar (carrot, milk & honey) where I lathered it in my hands and then applied it, a dilute ACV rinse wish a dash of VO5 conditioner mixed in on the scalp only, and then let VO5 conditioner sit on the length for about 5 minutes. My hair and scalp feel fantastic! :inlove: This was a really good combination for me, I'll see if the good effects continue over the next few washes.

Natalia
March 31st, 2014, 02:38 PM
This morning I did a scalp-only wash with a CV bar (carrot, milk & honey) where I lathered it in my hands and then applied it, a dilute ACV rinse wish a dash of VO5 conditioner mixed in on the scalp only, and then let VO5 conditioner sit on the length for about 5 minutes. My hair and scalp feel fantastic! :inlove: This was a really good combination for me, I'll see if the good effects continue over the next few washes.

So glad the experiment went well. I figure I will probably try the po bar + condish first since its easier. For bangs id do an acid rinse so they don't get stringy its too hard to get condish thoroughly rinsed when im just doing bangs at the sink.

NaClH2O
March 31st, 2014, 02:41 PM
So glad the experiment went well. I figure I will probably try the po bar + condish first since its easier. For bangs id do an acid rinse so they don't get stringy its too hard to get condish thoroughly rinsed when im just doing bangs at the sink.

Thanks! I definitely recommend adding a small amount of conditioner to the ACV rinse, I think it makes it less drying to the scalp. If you are just washing bangs at the sink, the ACV might not get on your scalp too much so you would probably be ok.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you like the bars!

Natalia
March 31st, 2014, 06:39 PM
Thanks! I definitely recommend adding a small amount of conditioner to the ACV rinse, I think it makes it less drying to the scalp. If you are just washing bangs at the sink, the ACV might not get on your scalp too much so you would probably be ok.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you like the bars!

Thanks for the tips. Ihave a hard time getting my hands up overt my head to pour a rinse so I figured id see how regular condish did then on a better day give ACV a try. Its rivingme nutty that they arrived but im not there nor if I had them could i use them here. My sister has insanely hard water and lousy showerheads. I cant even rinse my body thoroughly without a lot of effort. Id have better luck with a hose lol. I will note to ad condish to my rinse when I try it out :)

Jumper
March 31st, 2014, 10:46 PM
I have sort of switched now to swap between shampoo bars and conditioner only washes. I think my hair does better with even more conditioning than it does with just the bars/ACV.

Rushli
April 1st, 2014, 03:14 AM

My CV henna sample was just 1 oz and it lasted 7 washings. (2 scalp lathers and 1 length lather at BSL) My other 1.2oz samples only lasted 5 washings because DH used them too. How a man with only a few inches of hair can use so much, is beyond me. I told him I would have to train him in proper use if he wanted to keep using them. He just looked at me funny. :D

I just ordered patchouli essential oil and once that gets here by the end of the week and I can see if I like the smell, I will make my AV order. My husband loves grapefruit and I am tempted to order a full bar of the Grapefruit Patchouli. Patchouli tends to be a love it or hate it scent so I am a bit scared of commitment. I have a EO blend I love that has it in it, but I dont know if it is the predominate smell. My blend smells like Carmex; does patchouli smell anything like Carmex? I have googled the heck out of this topic and cant figure out what patchouli really smells like. (woodsy, earthy, spicy really dont give me a clue. Both mold and cedar smells woodsy and earthy to me but only one I would want to use in a soap.)

Natalia
April 1st, 2014, 03:25 AM
. I have a EO blend I love that has it in it, but I dont know if it is the predominate smell. My blend smells like Carmex; does patchouli smell anything like Carmex? I have googled the heck out of this topic and cant figure out what patchouli really smells like. (woodsy, earthy, spicy really dont give me a clue. Both mold and cedar smells woodsy and earthy to me but only one I would want to use in a soap.)

Just my 2 cents im not in love with patchouli. I don't hate it but I cant stand it alone, as long as its a lower note in a blend its fine. Alone to me its smells like mold/mildew/rotten leaves/male BO I have no idea why it doenst smell that way in small amounts go figure. I much prefer sandalwood when I want earthy goodness :)

Artista
April 1st, 2014, 06:39 AM
My CV henna sample was just 1 oz and it lasted 7 washings. (2 scalp lathers and 1 length lather at BSL) My other 1.2oz samples only lasted 5 washings because DH used them too. How a man with only a few inches of hair can use so much, is beyond me. I told him I would have to train him in proper use if he wanted to keep using them. He just looked at me funny. :D

I just ordered patchouli essential oil and once that gets here by the end of the week and I can see if I like the smell, I will make my AV order. My husband loves grapefruit and I am tempted to order a full bar of the Grapefruit Patchouli. Patchouli tends to be a love it or hate it scent so I am a bit scared of commitment. I have a EO blend I love that has it in it, but I dont know if it is the predominate smell. My blend smells like Carmex; does patchouli smell anything like Carmex? I have googled the heck out of this topic and cant figure out what patchouli really smells like. (woodsy, earthy, spicy really dont give me a clue. Both mold and cedar smells woodsy and earthy to me but only one I would want to use in a soap.)

I've been on the fence about getting the patchouli and grapefruit sample. I really think patchouli will far outweigh the grapefruit, especially since citrus scents aren't strong to begin with, well natural EOs that is. But then again it's a mix so it'll have a scent of it's own just like lavender buttermilk that I so love, but don't care for lavender alone but the vanilla makes it fantastic. So I'll just see if they happen to put the nice size sliver of it in my orders.

Artista
April 1st, 2014, 08:37 PM
Got AV Rhassoul/Avocado poo bar and sample of lemon lavender salt bar today! Love this one too! The poo lathers great and smells really nice though it's gone while drying. The only strong scented bars I've tried so far are bella rose and lavender buttermilk (which is still my fav). Chamomile orange blossom is next but doesn't linger as long as the above 2. The rest I've tried are awesome smelling (though not strong as a lather) while showering but scent is gone as drying.

The lemon lavender salt bar is springy/summery heaven! I was using CV's salt bar which smells fresh but it doesn't lather. This one does! And it leaves skin soft. On AV's site they talk about salt bars at the sink or bathroom sink but I'm enjoying this very much as a bath exfoliator!

My generous sliver for this order is latte brunette poo bar. Smells really good! These slivers btw will give you a few washes, well depending on how long your hair is, but enough to know if you like it or not!

I'm really impressed with AV and their service is better than CVs imo. They can take a few days to answer an email while AV is within a day. For me who is impatient, it's important. :D

Weewah
April 2nd, 2014, 02:28 AM
Does anyone have experience with the CV chamomile and citrus bar lightening their hair after extended use? This article says the chamomile can lighten hair over time but I thought chamomile just gave hair a yellow tint.
http://persephonemagazine.com/2011/08/we-try-it-chagrin-valley-all-natural-vegan-organic-sulfate-free-soap/

I love lightening my hair but I quit the bleach so if this bar lightens noticeably I'll totally use it more. :D

Artista
April 2nd, 2014, 12:27 PM
So after using AV's: Bella Rose, Lavender Buttermilk, Rhassoul Avocado, Latte Brunnette, Coconut Citrus, Marshmallow Alloe, and Pink Grapefruit---- I have to say-----Lavender Buttermilk is still the big bomb perfect! I can't imagine life without it! My seborrheic dermatitis scalp is very happy, excess hair loss from female pattern hair loss is waaaaaaaaaay down, and hair is literally silky and nourished! All the bars I've used are really good but there is something about lavender buttermilk combo. I know lavender is really good for soothing and nourishing the scalp and helping with itchies and so I think the addition of buttermilk is what makes the big difference in this poo bar. I've never seen buttermilk in any poo bar before so nothing to compare, but am so glad this bar exists for such a troubled scalp and hair I have! :happy dance: :D

Lyv
April 2nd, 2014, 12:39 PM
I ordered my first shampoo bar samples today from Apple Valley! I got the Bella Rose, Marshmallow and Aloe, Chamomile and Orange blossom and I got my husband the Man 2.0. I want to try the Lavender Buttermilk but they didn't have enough samples. I really hope I like them, I like the IDEA of shampoo bars but I'm nervous about the waxy feeling I've heard about.

Neecola
April 2nd, 2014, 12:49 PM
Weewah, I haven't used chamomile & citrus exclusively but I do use it often and can't say that it has lightened my hair any.

duchess67
April 2nd, 2014, 12:56 PM
Artista, I've placed an order for Lavender Buttermilk, Green Tea and Nettles, and Marshmallow and Aloe bars. Have to wait till the 17th to start using it. Hope these shampoo bars helps my hair as well.

So after using AV's: Bella Rose, Lavender Buttermilk, Rhassoul Avocado, Latte Brunnette, Coconut Citrus, Marshmallow Alloe, and Pink Grapefruit---- I have to say-----Lavender Buttermilk is still the big bomb perfect! I can't imagine life without it! My seborrheic dermatitis scalp is very happy, excess hair loss from female pattern hair loss is waaaaaaaaaay down, and hair is literally silky and nourished! All the bars I've used are really good but there is something about lavender buttermilk combo. I know lavender is really good for soothing and nourishing the scalp and helping with itchies and so I think the addition of buttermilk is what makes the big difference in this poo bar. I've never seen buttermilk in any poo bar before so nothing to compare, but am so glad this bar exists for such a troubled scalp and hair I have! :happy dance: :D

Artista
April 2nd, 2014, 01:08 PM
LYV & Duchess67: Hope you like them too! I saw the lavender buttermilk is sold out. I'd suggest trying that sample once it becomes available if you didn't order the sample. You will get another poo bar sliver which is about as big as the sample of one you didn't order. I like that bonus! :D

LYV: Using shampoo bars is a different feel than liquid but for me, AV's don't leave the kind of residue that CV did. When your hair is wet, it will feel a bit heavy but when it's completely dry it will feel better. Plus it may take some time for your hair/scalp get used to poo bars so I'd give them a chance for awhile before deciding if it's for you or not.

If you didn't sign up for their newsletter and therefore use the 10% off your order code, you can do it for any order. I keep my eyes open on their fb page for any cool deals that may come up. They've had some good deals in the past like when they want to clear the shelf of a product and all of the sudden you can get a full size poo bar for example for $4.50 or if it's a new item special type of things.

duchess67
April 2nd, 2014, 01:13 PM
I ordered full size bars, Artista. They shipped it out this morning, rec'd a tracking number. I must be the one who purchased the last one;) Looking forward to see what poo bar sliver they'll include in my order.

And yes, I did sign up for the newsletter after reading your post. But I rec'd an email saying that I'll get 10% off the next order, and not on the first order.

Artista
April 2nd, 2014, 01:22 PM
I ordered full size bars, Artista. They shipped it out this morning, rec'd a tracking number. I must be the one who purchased the last one;) Looking forward to see what poo bar sliver they'll include in my order.

And yes, I did sign up for the newsletter after reading your post. But I rec'd an email saying that I'll get 10% off the next order, and not on the first order.
Can't wait to read your reviews! Crossing fingers for you! I plan on trying other products from them but had to get my hair/scalp problem mess fixed first.

Forgot to mention, I color my hair every 2 months so there's that to boot. Someone who doesn't color has healthier hair to begin with over me. :D

Artista
April 3rd, 2014, 05:01 PM
I ordered my first shampoo bar samples today from Apple Valley! I got the Bella Rose, Marshmallow and Aloe, Chamomile and Orange blossom and I got my husband the Man 2.0. I want to try the Lavender Buttermilk but they didn't have enough samples. I really hope I like them, I like the IDEA of shampoo bars but I'm nervous about the waxy feeling I've heard about.

Good luck with them! Lavender Buttermilk is back in stock. I had asked Natalie the owner if she could put the eta for when something's back in stock. She said normally she does but if something is due back in soon she can forget. I guess having 9 kids has an impact on some things. lol

DKSABS
April 5th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Hi, I'm relatively new here. I found this site and began reading the Shampoo Bar thread a little over 2 months ago and have been lurking on this and other threads ever since. I wanted to get all the way through the thread before posting anything, but it's taking forever. I'm almost halfway through the Shampoo Bar thread now, on page 321 of 647. I've placed several orders from CV and tried a bunch of different samples, but I keep getting the waxy hair. I've found that I have to clarify at least every 5-7 days, with either baking soda or Suave Clarifying shampoo. My hair gets really dried out and frizzy after the clarifying shampoo or baking soda washes, and then the next shampoo with a CV bar will leave my hair looking clean on top with a little bit of waxiness on the ends. My 3d or 4th shampoo will leave my hair so waxy that it feels disgusting and looks embarrassing, and then I'll have to clarify and get the dry frizzy hair all over again. I've experimented with various different dilutions of ACV and White Vinegar. For the past month or so, I've been using the recipe for "Miracle Water" poured into a quart size rubbermaid container with 1.5 to 2 Tblsp of ACV and sometimes a little conditioner added to the mix too. I really like the idea of natural shampoos and conditioners and I want to make this work, but I hate it when I'm running late to work and have to leave with the horribly waxy looking hair all day. So far, the Neem and Tea Tree and the Nettle shampoo bars tend to work the best for me, but even those can end up causing horribly waxy hair if it's been 5 or more days since the last clarifying shampoo.

DKSABS
April 5th, 2014, 01:32 PM
I'm also on page 51 of 228 of the castor oil thread, and on page 227 of 377 of the Fine/Thin Hair thread, so I'm slowly making my way through all three threads.

duchess67
April 5th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Good luck with them! Lavender Buttermilk is back in stock. I had asked Natalie the owner if she could put the eta for when something's back in stock. She said normally she does but if something is due back in soon she can forget. I guess having 9 kids has an impact on some things. lol

My mom received the shampoo bars I ordered yesterday. She has classic length hair and had a lot of it, but since the last couple of years it has started thinning. She is worried thinking that she might go bald. Today I asked mom to try Lavender Buttermilk bar, it if helps her I'll be ordering more. Btw, my mom is 69 years old.

I'm also on page 51 of 228 of the castor oil thread, and on page 227 of 377 of the Fine/Thin Hair thread, so I'm slowly making my way through all three threads.

It took me a few days to read the whole Fine/Thin hair thread. There is a lot of good information there, which certainly helped me.

DKSABS
April 5th, 2014, 03:32 PM
It took me a few days to read the whole Fine/Thin hair thread. There is a lot of good information there, which certainly helped me.

Yes, I've learned a lot from all three of these threads (and placed a lot of orders for various hair products, many of which I'd never even heard of before). I had been putting my hair in a ponytail every single night after getting home from work, and sometimes during the day at work, but have since learned that ponytails are very damaging for hair. I never had any idea that a simply stick would hold my hair up and was really surprised after trying it with an ink pen. I've ordered some hair sticks and a hair fork that were recommended on LHC and was very surprised at how well they hold my hair up. And they have really come in handy for hiding the gunky mess when my hair has ended up disgustingly waxy after washing with some of the CV shampoo bars. Love this site!

Artista
April 5th, 2014, 06:06 PM
My mom received the shampoo bars I ordered yesterday. She has classic length hair and had a lot of it, but since the last couple of years it has started thinning. She is worried thinking that she might go bald. Today I asked mom to try Lavender Buttermilk bar, it if helps her I'll be ordering more. Btw, my mom is 69 years old.

It doesn't stop thinning hair at least for me because I have dermatitis and genetics against me at the very least, also probably peri menopause. For me the shed is less so it reasons there will be a slow down to the inevitable. Even with those with "normal" scalp will have thinning as one ages. Menopause is usually in the early 50s and that's when most people start seeing thinning. Genetics is a biggest thing. My dad is almost bald and my mom has very thin hair, with areas simply missing hair. Hers started at 60. She's now 69 and you see it and think, wow, lots of thinning. She's lucky hers started at 60. Mine started in 06. Luckily I have lots of body, poofy, curly type hair so I can still mostly hide the areas that are gone.

She should check out this forum if she's really concerned about thinning:
herhairlosshelp.com

But again, my hunch is and only a hunch because I don't know her or see her scalp, is it's pretty normal at that age to see thinning. My aunti is 73 and her hair has thinned a lot (she had a lot to begin with) but the key is you don't see any significant amount of scalp, like a overly wide part or areas where hair is just gone like my mom and I do. It's just thinning and it's completely normal. She will never go bald and probably until she's older, won't see scalp the way it's going. Hair loss where you really notice (someone else notice to go whoa) takes years as it is a slow process. We just notice it on ourselves because we are looking and evaluating it every day. Others aren't and tend not to see what you are talking about or say you are overreacting, it's not that bad. I get the latter because I'm still able to cover it pretty well even though it's frightening how much is gone at the scalp when wet. The members of the site I posted are really knowledged. It used to be really busy until the owner had something come up that it came down for a long while so most folks don't know it's back, but there are still folks there who can help understand if your mom wants to give her story and a photo of the scalp for them to see. It helped me at least understand even though I know I'm heading to be like my mom sooner than she is. I'll be 50 in Sept so I know it will get worse naturally because of menopause setting in. But if something helps lessen the shed, I'll definitely use it to try and extend my time and AV poo bars especially the lavender buttermilk seems to be helping thus far.

DKSABS
April 5th, 2014, 08:11 PM
I just placed my first order with Apple Valley. Looking forward to trying out their shampoo bars, essential oil perfumes, sink salt bars, etc.

duchess67
April 6th, 2014, 07:12 AM
DKSABS, funny thing is before joining LHC even I didn't have a clue about all these type of hair toys/products even existed. I've been spending a lot on these stuff since. It's not good for my wallet, but it's definitely good for my hair :D I love this site more than any other social networking sites. Best place ever to spend some free time, makes me feel fabulous!

Yes, I've learned a lot from all three of these threads (and placed a lot of orders for various hair products, many of which I'd never even heard of before). I had been putting my hair in a ponytail every single night after getting home from work, and sometimes during the day at work, but have since learned that ponytails are very damaging for hair. I never had any idea that a simply stick would hold my hair up and was really surprised after trying it with an ink pen. I've ordered some hair sticks and a hair fork that were recommended on LHC and was very surprised at how well they hold my hair up. And they have really come in handy for hiding the gunky mess when my hair has ended up disgustingly waxy after washing with some of the CV shampoo bars. Love this site!

Thanks Artista. My mom knows it is genetic, all her sisters (7 of them) face the same problem. They all had gorgeous long hair. Last year she came down with viral fever twice when she went to India on vacation. That's when her hair fall started to increase. She got all tests/bloodwork done to rule out any health issues. Nothing found, she's perfectly healthy, thank God. Her doctor asked her to take Biotin 5000mcg. If this shampoo bars helps a bit it will be great. I shall definitely let you know how it goes. My mom stopped dyeing her hair when her hair started to fall. We were chatting the other day via Google plus and I couldn't see the thinning she was talking about. She still has lots of hair. It isn't like she is balding, that is what she is worried about in the future. Says at this rate if hair keeps falling she might become bald.

I too have wavy, poofy hair which certainly helps. Towards the scalp I have hair, the layers makes it look thinner towards the bottom. When I cut my hair short I know it will look lovely, but I want to grow it long, my goal is to have waist length hair. I learned about micro trimming from LHC, trying to trim my hair and to get it all one length. I am 46 now, so trying to do everything possible to delay thinning :)

And thanks for the website. I'll ask my mom to check it out.

It doesn't stop thinning hair at least for me because I have dermatitis and genetics against me at the very least, also probably peri menopause. For me the shed is less so it reasons there will be a slow down to the inevitable. Even with those with "normal" scalp will have thinning as one ages. Menopause is usually in the early 50s and that's when most people start seeing thinning. Genetics is a biggest thing. My dad is almost bald and my mom has very thin hair, with areas simply missing hair. Hers started at 60. She's now 69 and you see it and think, wow, lots of thinning. She's lucky hers started at 60. Mine started in 06. Luckily I have lots of body, poofy, curly type hair so I can still mostly hide the areas that are gone.

She should check out this forum if she's really concerned about thinning:
herhairlosshelp.com

But again, my hunch is and only a hunch because I don't know her or see her scalp, is it's pretty normal at that age to see thinning. My aunti is 73 and her hair has thinned a lot (she had a lot to begin with) but the key is you don't see any significant amount of scalp, like a overly wide part or areas where hair is just gone like my mom and I do. It's just thinning and it's completely normal. She will never go bald and probably until she's older, won't see scalp the way it's going. Hair loss where you really notice (someone else notice to go whoa) takes years as it is a slow process. We just notice it on ourselves because we are looking and evaluating it every day. Others aren't and tend not to see what you are talking about or say you are overreacting, it's not that bad. I get the latter because I'm still able to cover it pretty well even though it's frightening how much is gone at the scalp when wet. The members of the site I posted are really knowledged. It used to be really busy until the owner had something come up that it came down for a long while so most folks don't know it's back, but there are still folks there who can help understand if your mom wants to give her story and a photo of the scalp for them to see. It helped me at least understand even though I know I'm heading to be like my mom sooner than she is. I'll be 50 in Sept so I know it will get worse naturally because of menopause setting in. But if something helps lessen the shed, I'll definitely use it to try and extend my time and AV poo bars especially the lavender buttermilk seems to be helping thus far.

Enjoy your new products coming your way. Hope you'll like it. I can't wait to get to my mom's and try the shampoo bars. Unfortunately Apple Valley doesn't ship to Canada.

I just placed my first order with Apple Valley. Looking forward to trying out their shampoo bars, essential oil perfumes, sink salt bars, etc.

Artista
April 6th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Duchess67: Your mom reminds me of me 6 years ago when I was trying to show my friend the thinning I saw. She looked at me like I'm crazy! Looking back, compared to now, yeah it was nuts to think that was thinning. :D You can't convince her otherwise so just listen to her and compliment her on her hair. You'll still get the but it's thinning but all you can do as she has herself convinced. Also she is definitely not going to go bald. Even my mom with her horrendously thin hair, isn't going to go bald. But will she have thinning as she gets older, yes. She should count her blessings that there are folks far worse off. There's a gal on that website I gave you that has alopecia areata which means you lose hair ALL over, not just the head. Her attitude is great! Some times she wears wigs but usually just goes bald. Again, I guarantee your mom won't go bald but she will thin, and if you can't see it, it's minor right now and she'll probably look just fine for years. Just try and get her to relax. Stress makes things worse. We are blessed to have the curly poofy hair type so it covers longer than those with straight hair.

The shampoo bars make my hair fuller, not just the top part. If she still has lush thick hair, she may want to add some gel or something to tone it down if she feels it's too full. That's what I do, I use all natural Morrocco Method's gel which is pricey but with my dermatitis, I have to use all natural that has some hold too for my curly parts.

Using poo bars for the first time takes an adjustment for most folks. It's so different than liquid. Some love it some don't. Just need to give it a chance and not just set it aside after one time, which is what I did a few years ago.

Also, coloring your hair does not increase hair loss. I color my hair every 2 months with no problems. I don't like the smell of amonia so I like Naturtint which you can find in Whole Food type stores. It's the gentlist I've found for my dermatitis scalp, and doesn't upset it which is nice as other brands would send it burning.
http://www.vitacost.com/naturtint-permanent-hair-color-5n-light-chestnut-brown-5-28-fl-oz?csrc=GPF-PA-Beauty%20%26%20Personal%20Care-661176010035&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=661176010035&gclid=CIjUsoWWzL0CFVKFfgodyIEAvg#pv=21862

Anyway, good luck. Hope you guys like the bars. If they don't work as poo bars, they're also great as body bars.

duchess67
April 6th, 2014, 01:21 PM
My mom called to say that she loved the way her hair feels after using Lavender Buttermilk bar, it also lathered well which surprised her. She was using Kerastase shampoo for thinning hair these past few months, said it was very drying compared to the bar. She oils her hair using ayurveda oils before every wash, and this time after using the bar it was lovely, didn't make her hair dry, but just perfect. She doesn't use conditioner, hates the feel of it. Doesn't like to put any product on hair, not even a leave-in conditioner.

My mother's hair isn't curly or poufy, it is straight which she hates. She says I am lucky that I got my Grandmother's hair texture.

When I told her about the color you mentioned, said she's not going to dye any more. But I might consider using it (have bookmarked the site) after I finish using up all the henna I've bought. Past couple of years I was using Natural Instinct, but then members here suggested that it might one of the reason for my shedding. So I switched to henna, which is really messy/time consuming to apply. I've been doing a lot of stuff lately, something seems to have clicked. I shed less hair the day I don't wash, but still sheds the day I wash my hair, but comparatively less.

Today while talking to Ma told her that she still has hair, then she started saying wait until you see me that it's very thin and her scalp can be seen and so on and on.

Thanks Artista.

Artista
April 6th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Duchess67: I knew your mom was going to say that about her hair. lol. Glad she likes the lavender buttermilk bar. I don't use any conditioner either because that bar makes hair so soft and feeling great that you really don't need it.

Before my hair loss began 8 years ago, I did try henna. It was messy and left some grit that I couldn't get out of my type of hair. I believe there is a waiting period between jumping from henna to color again, even if it's considered gentle formula like Naturtint is. Maybe I saw it on this board but I'm pretty sure there is a wait period. I didn't wait and my scalp got angry for a long while.

Unfortunately there is no stopping hair loss but slowing down the shed and making your scalp and hair feel happy makes it easier to deal with. . I think the waxy feeling folks say they get with CV is because the type of oils they mix or some have many kinds in it. I don't know but there is a difference. None of the bars I have tried leave it residue-y feeling once my hair is completely dry.

I think when you go visit your mom, you should take a pic of her scalp and post it on herhairlosshelp.com. You don't need to show faces. Folks there who are in the battle as well will give unbiased feedback.

Oh and Naturtint has other shades of those colors too, not just what's on that page. I just found it to show you what it looks like. Just so you know in case you want to try it and don't see a color that suits you.

Irishrain
April 6th, 2014, 04:22 PM
I've had a hard time with CV my hair gets all waxy some make it dry. I'm at a loss with which shampoo bar brands to use. Is Apple Valley any better??

Artista
April 6th, 2014, 04:47 PM
I've had a hard time with CV my hair gets all waxy some make it dry. I'm at a loss with which shampoo bar brands to use. Is Apple Valley any better??
In my opinion, it is. You can buy a sample(s) to check them out to see if they are great for you or not. Plus in every order, you get a free sliver which is a decent size to check out another one. I went by which one had the most reviews as well as the reviews to select my first order. So far, for me, lavender buttermilk is my favorite-- and this is from someone who doesn't care for florals. Thankfully for me there is a vanilla tinge to it so it's not full blown lavender. If it doesn't work for your hair, it works great for the body wash.

Above somewhere, I've written my take on the bars I've used.

Irishrain
April 6th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Thanks Artista :) I'll look into them

I still have some leftover of CV which I'll find a use for. I'll read through this thread yay for 648 pages. :)

Lyv
April 6th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I used my Chamomile and Orange Blossom shampoo bar from Apple Valley and I think I'm in love! I didn't use conditioner after just a ACV rinse and my hair is so silky and light! I didn't know that could happen without conditioner.

Rushli
April 6th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Just my 2 cents im not in love with patchouli. I don't hate it but I cant stand it alone, as long as its a lower note in a blend its fine. Alone to me its smells like mold/mildew/rotten leaves/male BO I have no idea why it doenst smell that way in small amounts go figure. I much prefer sandalwood when I want earthy goodness :)
I did not realize my mold analogy would be accurate :)

I've been on the fence about getting the patchouli and grapefruit sample. I really think patchouli will far outweigh the grapefruit, especially since citrus scents aren't strong to begin with, well natural EOs that is. But then again it's a mix so it'll have a scent of it's own just like lavender buttermilk that I so love, but don't care for lavender alone but the vanilla makes it fantastic. So I'll just see if they happen to put the nice size sliver of it in my orders.

I got my patchouli EO this weekend and I have to say it is not as bad as I feared, but not particularly great either. I am going to see what DH thinks about the patchouli, but will still at least try the sample. Though DH is putting a damper on my plans of all my fun ordering. He now threw it out there that he would rather just go away for the weekend... or maybe he knows that I am likely to order soap anyway, so ordering the rest of the shaving gear is likely and he would still get his weekend away? We will find out by the end of April I guess!

Artista
April 6th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I don't care for patchouli myself. That's why I'm not getting the grapefruit patchouli poo bar sample. If they throw a sliver in an order, great, but I'm not getting it myself.

Get hubby one of those man poo bars as a gift for said weekend get away, while getting you the soaps you want. How can he complain when you are getting him something too. :D

Artista
April 6th, 2014, 09:45 PM
I used my Chamomile and Orange Blossom shampoo bar from Apple Valley and I think I'm in love! I didn't use conditioner after just a ACV rinse and my hair is so silky and light! I didn't know that could happen without conditioner.

I don't use ACV rinse. The bars work great without it for me. :D

Aderyn
April 6th, 2014, 09:59 PM

I just read that as "the bras work great without it".. Haha, I was so confused for a moment :D Definitely don't need an ACV rinse to make bras work!

I also don't use do a vinegar rinse, I have very soft water, too. I have been experimenting with a coney conditioner after a shampoo bar, though, and am pleased with the results. Going to get a cone-free conditioner too, and start experimenting with WCC.

Natalia
April 6th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Yipeee im home and have my bars in hand :). Everything currently smells like r0osemarry from being packed together but I hope once their air out I can get a feel for each scent. Probably wont get to use them this week. I will be logging a record number of hours this week in hospitals so once I get home I am going to need to clarify and then next wash I will start experimenting

Rushli
April 6th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I don't care for patchouli myself. That's why I'm not getting the grapefruit patchouli poo bar sample. If they throw a sliver in an order, great, but I'm not getting it myself.

Get hubby one of those man poo bars as a gift for said weekend get away, while getting you the soaps you want. How can he complain when you are getting him something too. :D

Right you are!

I signed up for AV newsletter to get the discount code, but the e-mail they sent me was a conformation of my conformation and the attachment opens my contacts and wants to add it in there. It has ben a week and no other newsletter has been sent. When did you guys get yours?

Artista
April 6th, 2014, 11:17 PM
I just read that as "the bras work great without it".. Haha, I was so confused for a moment :D Definitely don't need an ACV rinse to make bras work!

I also don't use do a vinegar rinse, I have very soft water, too. I have been experimenting with a coney conditioner after a shampoo bar, though, and am pleased with the results. Going to get a cone-free conditioner too, and start experimenting with WCC.
Funny! I have hard water, and don't use ACV rinse with AV poo bars.

Right you are!

I signed up for AV newsletter to get the discount code, but the e-mail they sent me was a conformation of my conformation and the attachment opens my contacts and wants to add it in there. It has ben a week and no other newsletter has been sent. When did you guys get yours?

It wasn't long ago. I think they put it out twice a month. You can contact them. They answer their email super fast.

DKSABS
April 6th, 2014, 11:49 PM
DKSABS, funny thing is before joining LHC even I didn't have a clue about all these type of hair toys/products even existed. I've been spending a lot on these stuff since. It's not good for my wallet, but it's definitely good for my hair :D I love this site more than any other social networking sites. Best place ever to spend some free time, makes me feel fabulous!

Enjoy your new products coming your way. Hope you'll like it. I can't wait to get to my mom's and try the shampoo bars. Unfortunately Apple Valley doesn't ship to Canada.

I know, right? I didn't know anything about shampoo bars or that all these hair toys existed either. A local friend started making soap and I ordered an African Black shampoo bar from her and my hair got all waxy and gross after I'd used the bar 2 or 3 times. I googled for info on how to use shampoo bars, and that's how I found LHC. My google search landed me on this very thread, which I've been working on reading since February! I've really been neglecting Facebook and other social networking sites, because I spend my free time on here instead now.

That's too bad that Apple Valley doesn't ship to Canada. Hopefully you'll be able to get to your mom's and try some out soon.

Right you are!

That's really odd! I just signed up for their newsletter when I was working on placing my order yesterday (Thank you to all the people who gave the tip to sign up for the newsletter to get the coupon code!) I didn't try to open the attachment to the message that confirmed my subscription yesterday, but tried it tonight and my attachment also just opens a window asking me to save their address to my email contacts. How odd! I got a 3d email from them that contained the coupon code. The subject line for that email was "Welcome to our VIP List!" That email provided the coupon code and some information on the company and their products and shipping rates, etc. Did you look in your spam folder for the "Welcome to our VIP List!" message?

Lyv
April 7th, 2014, 06:33 AM

I was going to try only using the bar and skipping the ACV but I couldn't get over how gross my hair felt while it was wet lol. I may try it without next time to see how it is once it dries.

duchess67
April 7th, 2014, 06:39 AM
I hope my mom will allow me to photograph her hair, if she does I shall post it. And about Naturtint, I did check the colors available before bookmarking that site.
Thanks Artista.

Duchess67: I knew your mom was going to say that about her hair. lol. Glad she likes the lavender buttermilk bar. I don't use any conditioner either because that bar makes hair so soft and feeling great that you really don't need it.

I think when you go visit your mom, you should take a pic of her scalp and post it on herhairlosshelp.com. You don't need to show faces. Folks there who are in the battle as well will give unbiased feedback.

Oh and Naturtint has other shades of those colors too, not just what's on that page. I just found it to show you what it looks like. Just so you know in case you want to try it and don't see a color that suits you.

Rushli, I too haven't received an email with the discount code after my first order. After signing up for the newsletter I did see that we'll get 10% off my next order, but no discount code.

Right you are!

DKSABS, I always check spam folder, nothing in there. Their first email after my order was in my spam folder, after adding their address to the safe list it was okay.

That's really odd! I just signed up for their newsletter when I was working on placing my order yesterday (Thank you to all the people who gave the tip to sign up for the newsletter to get the coupon code!) I didn't try to open the attachment to the message that confirmed my subscription yesterday, but tried it tonight and my attachment also just opens a window asking me to save their address to my email contacts. How odd! I got a 3d email from them that contained the coupon code. The subject line for that email was "Welcome to our VIP List!" That email provided the coupon code and some information on the company and their products and shipping rates, etc. Did you look in your spam folder for the "Welcome to our VIP List!" message?

Artista
April 7th, 2014, 07:11 AM
I would contact them (Natalie) about the code. She is very nice and responds quick. I know they are working on their website right now, which is why it looks a little funky.

ETA: I just looked at AV's fb page. She did post they are updating their website so there are some odditities.

https://www.facebook.com/AppleValleyNaturalSoap

Rushli
April 7th, 2014, 10:55 AM

I did not have anything in my spam folder, but I have the code now. :D

Artista
April 7th, 2014, 05:54 PM
It is 85 degrees here so I pulled out the peppermint tea tree poo bar sliver that I received free with one of my orders. Took a nice cool shower as I always do, I'm not into very warm showers. This poo bar is tops too! LOVE the mint smell and the feel of cooling sensation that I was getting. Lathers fantastic like the others too. I'm kicking myself for not trying this as a sample with my first order because looking at AV's fb page, they had a nice sale on it on 3/21 for $5.20! Ah!

Tea tree is great for my type of skin, dermatitis. I came out of the shower with very little redness compared to what I normally get after showering. :D

ETA: As my hair is drying, scalp feels even cooler than in the shower! VERY please with my new warm weather poo bar find!

Aderyn
April 7th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Just made an order through Chagrin Valley for the full sized cafe moreno shampoo bar (would like to see it darken my hair - also got the dark hair tea rinse), babussu marshmellow and extra honey beer. Also ordered a few other random things to try. I've had good luck with Chagrin Valley (albeit, I also have very soft water and never do a vinegar rinse), though I will eventually want to give Apple Valley and a few other poo-bar makes a try as well.

I've had a few bars of african black soap before (not as a shampoo) and I would not be inclined to use it to wash my hair.. at all. It was very drying to my already dry skin, I don't even want to think of using that on my hair or - more importantly, my scalp. Shampoo bars have been, without a doubt, the gentlest and most moisturizing form of washing my hair in regards to my scalp. CO-washing was not good, sulfate shampoos were alright (surprisingly) and sulfate-free was nice, but nothing compared to shampoo bars - my hair and scalp feel great. No flakes, even when I'm stretching my washes!

In a few months time (maybe longer, I have quite a stash of shampoo bars to get through as is..), I would like to order the Marshmallow and Aloe, Wheat and Honey Almond and the Jojoba Silk shampoo bars from Apple Valley.

Artista
April 7th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Just made an order through Chagrin Valley for the full sized cafe moreno shampoo bar (would like to see it darken my hair - also got the dark hair tea rinse), babussu marshmellow and extra honey beer. Also ordered a few other random things to try. I've had good luck with Chagrin Valley (albeit, I also have very soft water and never do a vinegar rinse), though I will eventually want to give Apple Valley and a few other poo-bar makes a try as well.

I've had a few bars of african black soap before (not as a shampoo) and I would not be inclined to use it to wash my hair.. at all. It was very drying to my already dry skin, I don't even want to think of using that on my hair or - more importantly, my scalp. Shampoo bars have been, without a doubt, the gentlest and most moisturizing form of washing my hair in regards to my scalp. CO-washing was not good, sulfate shampoos were alright (surprisingly) and sulfate-free was nice, but nothing compared to shampoo bars - my hair and scalp feel great. No flakes, even when I'm stretching my washes!

In a few months time (maybe longer, I have quite a stash of shampoo bars to get through as is..), I would like to order the Marshmallow and Aloe, Wheat and Honey Almond and the Jojoba Silk shampoo bars from Apple Valley.

I got the moreno too in hopes of turning my hair a tad darker and it didn't work. My hair didn't like it as it left it a bit dry. The dark hair tea rinse I had bought a few years back and didn't work. I found no difference in using that vs brewing my own dark tea for much cheaper. Hope you have a different experience than me. :)

Natalia
April 7th, 2014, 08:10 PM
It is 85 degrees here so I pulled out the peppermint tea tree poo bar sliver that I received free with one of my orders. Took a nice cool shower as I always do, I'm not into very warm showers. This poo bar is tops too! LOVE the mint smell and the feel of cooling sensation that I was getting. Lathers fantastic like the others too. I'm kicking myself for not trying this as a sample with my first order because looking at AV's fb page, they had a nice sale on it on 3/21 for $5.20! Ah!

Tea tree is great for my type of skin, dermatitis. I came out of the shower with very little redness compared to what I normally get after showering. :D

ETA: As my hair is drying, scalp feels even cooler than in the shower! VERY please with my new warm weather poo bar find!

Mmmmm your making me want to wash my hair. I got a mint bar from CV and i loved smelling it int he package so i cant wait to feel it on my scalp. Now if only i could find a bar that smells like trader joes tea tree tingle line....ahhh i adore that scent.

Hope you like it :)! I also got the extra honey beer bar to try out along with a coffee lip balm. I really love the glass jar it came in a 3R girls dream!

I got the moreno too in hopes of turning my hair a tad darker and it didn't work. My hair didn't like it as it left it a bit dry. The dark hair tea rinse I had bought a few years back and didn't work. I found no difference in using that vs brewing my own dark tea for much cheaper. Hope you have a different experience than me. :)

Im sorry it didnt work how you want and that it dried you out. If its any consolation your making me feel better than i cant use it (darn allergies!). I love coffee scnted anything maybe one day i will get around to making soap or shampoo bars. Honestly id get more use out of liquid soap but its a bit more of a process.

Artista
April 7th, 2014, 11:20 PM
All of my chagrin valley poo bars I have given to my friend or if I really like the scent like Moreno, it's a hand wash bar.

Aderyn
April 8th, 2014, 12:02 AM

I've used the Henna Chestnut and noticed my reds are more noticeable after a few months of using it, so we'll see. If it doesn't work, not going to be too bummed, can just use it as a normal soap or shampoo. I'm also planning on trying my own tea as well, though I couldn't help myself when I was shopping on Chagrin Valley.. had to make the most of the shipping cost and since I don't drink tea (thus, don't have tea on hand) it was a totally good idea, of course. :whistle:

I've also read that tea rinses (especially from tea sold for drinking purposes) may not be the best due to the drying herbs often included in them, which also depends on how much you let the tea steep, concentration and how hot the water is, so we'll see. Much to experiment with. :)

Glad you (and others on this thread) have been having luck with Apple Valley shampoo bars, though! In your previous post, you mentioned you have dermatitis, and (forgive me if you've talked about it and I just haven't read it) how have other hair washing methods worked with that in your experience?

I'm so glad you seem to be doing well with shampoo bars in regards to decreased shedding and with your dermatitis! I hope you can recover much of that lost thickness and keep your scalp at peace. :flower: :D

Artista
April 8th, 2014, 01:57 AM
I've used the Henna Chestnut and noticed my reds are more noticeable after a few months of using it, so we'll see. If it doesn't work, not going to be too bummed, can just use it as a normal soap or shampoo. I'm also planning on trying my own tea as well, though I couldn't help myself when I was shopping on Chagrin Valley.. had to make the most of the shipping cost and since I don't drink tea (thus, don't have tea on hand) it was a totally good idea, of course. :whistle:

I've also read that tea rinses (especially from tea sold for drinking purposes) may not be the best due to the drying herbs often included in them, which also depends on how much you let the tea steep, concentration and how hot the water is, so we'll see. Much to experiment with. :)

Glad you (and others on this thread) have been having luck with Apple Valley shampoo bars, though! In your previous post, you mentioned you have dermatitis, and (forgive me if you've talked about it and I just haven't read it) how have other hair washing methods worked with that in your experience?

I'm so glad you seem to be doing well with shampoo bars in regards to decreased shedding and with your dermatitis! I hope you can recover much of that lost thickness and keep your scalp at peace. :flower: :D

Technically it's seborrheic dermatitis, but I don't have the oily part on my scalp- just itchies and small flakes. My face is sd with redness oily/dry combo which is typical sd.

Other poo methods irritated it more, even if they were chemical free liquids. Along with sd, the hair loss can be prickly or somewhat painful or burning sensations. So to find something to take care of all this crap took a lot of money over the years. I had found CV in 2006 when my nightmare was beginning but was till looking at other options since the poos weren't 'perfect' to take care of all these issues. So hence my excitement with AV that about 2 1/2 wks in and washing every day since I love doing it especially when it's warm out, I'm getting great results. I can't say that with CV. I'd be excited for a few days then slowly one or more of my issues would pop up. I admire folks who have normal healthy scalps. For some people I know who have what I have, their symptoms are worse, like they can't function with such discomfort and in some cases. pain. I thank God mine isn't as bad as theirs and just hope I can keep it pretty normal like it is now.

Natalia
April 8th, 2014, 02:39 AM
Ok i couldnt wait. My bangs were a little meh so i grabbed my CV rosemary mint bar, my rinse bottle and headed to the sink :). The lather way way more luxurious than i anticipated, we have soft water so i expected a lather but this had nice white foam. First wash didnt lather as much, second one was bubbles galore. I did a combo of running the bar down my hair and making bubbles in my hands. I did ACV sorta measured 8oz water and splashed in some (more than a teaspoon less than a tablespoon) ACV but we were almost out so i wasnt being too accurate.

I blow fried them and the main things i noticed were that 1) the texture felt lighter 2) i had slightly more static 3) my ends felt kind of stuck together though thats going away more as i run my fingers through them. I didnt style them so i dont know how they will fare in that aspect but i shall see tomorow.

BTW the rinse bottle i got in anticipation is aweome :). I call it my Narwhal Bottle ;) here is the link - http://www.sallybeauty.com/color-applicator-bottle/SBS-436500,default,pd.html#q=bottle&pmin=0&pmax=10&start=9 - since i didnt need it all i closed the spout and tossed it in the fridge. Its got enough capacity for a scalp only wash and the nozzle would be very helpful in making sure the rinse or whatever else is distributed well.

Weewah
April 8th, 2014, 03:53 AM
Anyone try Bobeam shampoo bars? I ordered one off curlmart since they were the cheapest thing and I needed to add something else to get free shipping. I tried CV bars last week, not sure if I'm sold on shampoo bars yet, but I'll try this Bobeam Cocoa Olive bar sometime soon and report back.

Here's the ingredients, I'm intrigued about the emulsifier added to it.
Saponified vegetable oils mainly coconut oil,, gycerin ( kosher or vegetable origin), purified water, sorbital ( berries, moisturizer), sorbitan oleate( emulsifier), soybean protein

Loviatar
April 8th, 2014, 11:26 AM
I think I've finally figured out a routine using bars that will work for me.

Last March I cut to pixie and was bars-only (with citric rinse as I have hard water) for most of the past year. But as my hair has grown, and I now have a bob, my ends aren't keen on bars-only and I felt I was having to clarify all the time. As I wash daily, this was a problem! I like daily washing when I have short hair; once I can do updos, I will go back to every 2-3 days.

But I've just been trying CO 6 days out of 7, and bars-wash for 1 day out of 7, and that seems to work really well. I have BIG hair on bar day and soft hair the rest of the time. The first bar lather has to be Mud and Clay or a citrus bar, something cleansing. The second is usually Ayurvedic Herb, Cafe Moreno or coconut Milk. Then I use citric rinse and then condition. Great results :)

Natalia
April 8th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Ok results today...well my bangs arent greasy but they are a bit too piecey for me. Though they are in need of a trim which isnt helping matters. I may try again and forgo the rinse we have soft water so it might be ok. They need some extra fluff to them, upside they are soft and have a nice sheen just acting too chunky.

duchess67
April 8th, 2014, 02:57 PM
You used the CV bars and not the AV bars, right?

I have never tried shampoo bars, have to wait 8 more days to get my hands on those AV bars, count down started :D

sumidha
April 8th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Ok, you guys have me seriously craving a cold minty shower on this hot day, lol!

The next time I order shampoo bars I'm definitely going to throw in something minty for the summer. I bet the BF would like the Rosemary Mint, he likes those kinds of smells and recently told me Neem & Tea Tree was a little too cleansing for every wash. I'll just have to be contented with Dr Bronner's mint soap for myself. :)