PDA

View Full Version : The Shampoo Bar Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Henna Sooq
October 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM
What I did as an alternative to using coconut oil because it can be drying when saponified, is used cocoa butter, and coconut milk in one of the shampoo bars. This became a really amazing shampoo bar. Really rich and mositurizing.
I love coconut oil and have nothing against it, but I had to make seome serious decisions on wether or not to risk the drying aspect of it.

I think every shampoo bar is a creation and will reflect the creativity of that person. We all can make amazing shampoo bars that reflect ourselves, and the recipes are probably endless. :) It's so tempting to make more recipes....

Liave Ekeli
October 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I just ordered samples of the Babassu and Marsh Mallow, Chamomile Citrus, Coconut Milk, Herb Garden, Lavender & Spice, Mud & Clay, Nettle Shampoo, Rosemary Lavender Aloe, Rosemary Mint and Summer Sunshine bars from CV. I was going to get the Neem and TTO but they're out till November.

Now I'm £25 poorer and eagerly awaiting them ^.^

It feels good, doesn't it? In a strange kind of way ;)

spiderfang
October 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Still reading through this entire thread (up to pg106!!!)

I have read a couple of times that some of you found some bars working well compared to when you first tried them. For some, the bars that did not work well they were just left without being used for a period of time.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up past pg106! ... There's so many different possibilities, but one possibility why they may be working better could be because of the bars curing attributes. By leaving the bar unused for such a period of time, the bar has been allowed to cure even more thus making the bar work completely different, and in some peoples cases, better. This could be one thing that makes some difference. Any other thoughts on this?

Henna Sooq
October 19th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I agree Spriderfang, this could definetely be a good possibility. Plus the bar will be harder, which makes it longer lasting. When it is a bit fresh, it can be a bit soft.

Aries_jb
October 19th, 2009, 04:49 PM
That's a definite possibility. I love my CV when they're old. I think they work best that way, though shampoo bars have pretty much always worked for me. I just think they lather and work better when they're older.

mishmish
October 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM
It's absolutely true that well cured soap is milder and lathers better than fresh...the only thing you would have to watch out for with older soap is rancidity, which shows up as little yellow/orange dots and an "off" smell...but since shampoo bars have such a low superfat, it should be less of a problem unless the oils used were old to begin with, or made with oils that have a short shelf life.

spiderfang
October 20th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I just looked up rancidity and the basic types, of which seem to occur from from water, oxygen and enzymes. It seems that keeping the bars in an air tight container would help reduce rancidification, but I don't think this would help with the curing.

It's probably best just to keep bars in their original packaging in a cupboard. I've had bars that I have kept for a few years this way, some probably more than 5 years and they still seemed fine!

moonbeam
October 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I am still (mostly) loving my mud and clay bar. A few problems though:

-my hair feels nice and clean on 80 % of my scalp, but there are a few areas, behind my right ear and towards the back of my head that are very sebumy and wet feeling. I have been "shampooing" twice and using a w vinegar rinse.

-I think I need to use conditioner, as my hair is getting staticky and hard to deal with., Should I do the vinegar rinse before I condition, or after?

I noticed that when I wash that the greaiest areas seem to lather the best. Has that been abyone elses experience? It kind of seems the opposite of SLS shampoo. I was thinking that maybe it is a reaction, like how bs washes only seem to work well on sebumy hair (at least in my experience)

SeaPhoenix
October 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
On the conditioner thing - have you thought about just adding a squirt or two of conditioner into the vinegar/citric acid rinse? When I was doing shampoo bars, I found this to be a perfect solution - plus it saves on conditioner, since the diluted amount will go a lot further than straight conditioner...

Cantabile
October 20th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I've tried mixing in my conditioner with the ACV, but for some reason, whenever I did that, my hair and scalp felt greasier :P

I find that it works much better to do wash first with the shampoo bar, rinse, condition, rinse again, and then the ACV (with optional rinsing). I condition from the ears down because I get enough moisturizing from the shampoo bars and I don't want my scalp getting greasier faster.

mishmish
October 20th, 2009, 10:40 PM
No, keeping them in an airtight container seems to encourage "dos" (dreaded orange spots!); the cupboard is fine, away from heat and moisture. Soap is kind of like wine: some kinds age better than others, and up to a point, they just keep getting better. :)

Henna Sooq
October 21st, 2009, 08:12 AM
Air drying in an open soap container is what I did. It seems to be working really well. It dries back up nicely between uses.

Moonbeam, have you only used the shampoo bar twice? I'd say, give it a week at least. Let it settle and see what your results are. Play around with the conditioner and ACV rinse a bit too, to see what it is that might or might not help.

If it doesn't work out, then perhaps another blend of shampoo bar would be a better choice. Something with lighter ingredients perhaps, rather then a clay bar.

spiderfang
October 21st, 2009, 10:14 AM
Soap is kind of like wine: some kinds age better than others, and up to a point, they just keep getting better. :)

Lol! Great little say'in.

Air drying in an open soap container is what I did. It seems to be working really well. It dries back up nicely between uses.

Yea, that's all I do with bars that are being used, I just leave them in the open in a soap dish.

Liave Ekeli
October 22nd, 2009, 07:39 AM
Yay! Lots of CV shampoo bar samples in my mailbox today! :D
...Now I've only got to figure out which of them to try first.

florenonite
October 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Yay! Lots of CV shampoo bar samples in my mailbox today! :D
...Now I've only got to figure out which of them to try first.

Yay, maybe mine will arrive soon. You only ordered yours a couple days before me :p

Liave Ekeli
October 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Yay, maybe mine will arrive soon. You only ordered yours a couple days before me :p

Yeah, and the CV packages usually arrive pretty fast. It took six days for it to travel from the US to Norway, which I think is pretty impressive, since I've ordered other things that was shipped before my CV package that still hasn't arrived.

Madame J
October 22nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Cantabile, what is your water:ACV ratio? I found that too much ACV in my rinse leaves me greasy, but just the right amount leaves me silky.

Ugh, my hair is actually rebelling against detergents, I think. I want to give my new shampoo a fair chance, but I have itchies, and my scalp feels dirty after a day or two. I might consider going back to shampoo bars... y'know, maybe just to test some out.... :whistle::eyebrows:

(y'know that eyebrow smiley always reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Principal Skinner tells Milhouse to "lower those eyebrows, young man.... AND the other one.")

unmeanstome2
October 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Hey everyone!
I just started using my CV shampoo bars- third wash- and so far I've tried the honey beer and egg, the babassu marshmallow and the olive babassu (since alternating the bars are recommended). Many people have said that honey beer and egg helped thicken their hair but it didn't do much for me...happily the other two bars worked really well (because I have dry hair)!
I have to work hard at getting a decent lather (still getting used to it), and I follow everything with the ACV rinse, but I notice that even though my hair is super shiny following the wash I have these strange frizzy bits that stick out, and also my hair feels a tad dry. Does anyone else have this problem? I can't figure out if it's the ACV rinse (I am still trying to find the ideal ratio) or if it's just my hair getting used to the shampoo...

florenonite
October 22nd, 2009, 09:48 AM
Hey everyone!
I just started using my CV shampoo bars- third wash- and so far I've tried the honey beer and egg, the babassu marshmallow and the olive babassu (since alternating the bars are recommended). Many people have said that honey beer and egg helped thicken their hair but it didn't do much for me...happily the other two bars worked really well (because I have dry hair)!
I have to work hard at getting a decent lather (still getting used to it), and I follow everything with the ACV rinse, but I notice that even though my hair is super shiny following the wash I have these strange frizzy bits that stick out, and also my hair feels a tad dry. Does anyone else have this problem? I can't figure out if it's the ACV rinse (I am still trying to find the ideal ratio) or if it's just my hair getting used to the shampoo...

It could be because the bars are alkaline.

IME ACV is moisturising (and actually makes my hair greasy) so I don't think it would be that.

Liave Ekeli
October 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Just checking in to tell whoever might be interested that I ended up washing with the Rosemary Mint CV bar. My hair is still wet, so I can't make a full judgment yet, but my hair does feel softer that it did with chamomile/citrus

Edit: My hair is now practically dry, and the Rosemary Mint definitely feels better than the chamomile/citrus bar. My hair is softer, feels somehow lighter and a bit more "fluffy", and it's easy to comb through without having to condition in addition to rinsing (I had to condition my ends when using chamomile/citrus, otherwise it was difficult to comb through my hair afterwards).
New favourite, but I still have lots of other samples to try.

Cantabile
October 22nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
@Madame J, my normal dilution of a spoon in a liter (not really measured precisely, but it works! XD), normally does the trick. It's just that the addition of any conditioner throws it off, so I normally just condition separately.

Odie
October 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
I received my first order of samples from CV today :) I washed my hair with the Honey Beer and Egg one, and then used a conditioner with (I think, if I'm reading the label right) water soluble 'cones only. Hey, it's what we had in hand, and different from what I'd been using.

I didn't clarify, because we have softened water, and I figured I could start just using the 'poo bar and clarify later if necessary.

I hope it helps make my hair thicker! I could definitely use the body. My hair is down to my shoulders now, to the length where I would normally cut it. Hoping that this technique will help me grow it out without it looking stringy and weighed down!

Oh, I bought a Mud and Clay bar as well. Should I stick with the Honey Egg and Beer one, or should I rotate between the two between washes?

kayes
October 23rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
Oh, I bought a Mud and Clay bar as well. Should I stick with the Honey Egg and Beer one, or should I rotate between the two between washes?

I've found that there are a lot of things that affect the way a bar works, what my hair feels like, what I last washed it with and when... If you are looking for a bar that you will use day after day without rotating, then use it exclusively for a few washes and see what happens, or if you are keen to try the mud and clay, use it and see what you think of it, and which ever of the bars you like best, use alone for a few washes, expecially once your hair is used to the poo bars, so you get and idea of what your hair will do. Then maybe try the other one exclusively.
I've got bars that I trust to take travelling because i know they will work well on their own every time I wash my hair, without switching, and others I keep for when my hair needs a little extra help, but which are which, and which are good for particular issues is all about experimenting.

I've tried the SCH unscented marshmallow root bar a few times without any acidic rinse, although I have done the final rinse with cold water, and results have been really good each time. My hair was soft and not frizzy, with a good amount of volume, not too much or too little. It was surprisingly easy to straighten... I don't know why. I still haven't worked up the courage to try my CV bars without the rinse since I tried it when I first started using poo bars (bad results!) maybe my hair has just adjusted, but I can definately say that this SCH bar doesn't need a rinse with my soft-ish water :)

florenonite
October 23rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
I had a bit of an epiphany on Wednesday when I washed my hair. I've been having issues with 'poo bars for the past month or so, and I think I know what the problem was: I wasn't wetting the bar enough, and therefore I wasn't getting enough of the soap on my hair to clean it effectively. I thought I'd post this so if anyone else is having problems getting the bars to clean properly it's definitely worth a try. The way I wash is I "comb" from hairline to nape all the way along my head and back again, then I rub the bar between my hands and rub that into my scalp. I found that I need to wet the bar several times in this process for it to work its best.

I washed my hair on Wednesday and it still looks clean! This hasn't happened to me in ages; usually by now it's starting to look a bit greasy, though not necessarily in need of a wash.

I think what must have happened is that I got lazy over the several months since I started using bars, and just forgot to wet the bar sufficiently.

Henna Sooq
October 23rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
You're so right. I didn't think about it. But I too add extra water while washing and really rubbing it into my scalp too and try to get it underneath as well. I wash it out really well.

What I really thought was amazing, was how the essential oil scents (I'm washing with one that has peppermint in it) stay in your hair. I could smell it in my hair. :) SO happy!! It's much nicer then the commercial liquid shampoos. I have gone about 10 days with NO conditioner. I still can't believe it.

firenze
October 23rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Just placed an order for more CV bars. I've been waiting all week to be able to order the Ayurvedic Bar and saw it was available this evening so I got one sample.

I also got these samples:
Coconut Milk
Nettle
Olive Babassu

And these soap bars to try on my hair and body:
Chocolate Almond
Goat Milk Oat Honey
Pumpkin Orange Spice

And the Oats and Honey dog shampoo for the pup.

Now I just have to find my patience and wait.

Tinose
October 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
Please tell us how the Ayurvedic bar works, if you don't mind! I for one am desperately curious and waiting only until November so I can order it and more neem simultaneously.

mizk5110
October 24th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I just ordered samples of CV shampoo bars, and some samples of the body bars. I can't wait to try them!

firenze
October 24th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Please tell us how the Ayurvedic bar works, if you don't mind! I for one am desperately curious and waiting only until November so I can order it and more neem simultaneously.

Will do! I hope some others ordered some so we can get a number of reviews.

I'm loving these bars more and more. Yesterday was the first day I've ever been able to skip a wash. I've always had to wash daily but my hair felt and looked great.

rose_in_bloom
October 25th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I ordered a full bar of the Ayurvedic on Friday, so it should arrive this week! :D I'm excited!! I'll post a review as soon as I try it.

marikamt
October 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
For those of you who use the body (soap) bars on your hair, what is the difference in results??? I love the 'poo bars, and want to order more but got side-tracked by the yummy flavors of the regular soap.......

Sorry- meant the CV bars

RedHeadDancer
October 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I have been using the shampoo bars from Mehendi for quite some time. I shampoo every 2-3 days and rarely use conditioner, and only on the very ends when I do. When I say rarely, I mean once every 3 or 4 months or more. Just don't feel the need to. I use henna on my hair and combined with the bars, my hair is thicker and shinier than at any time previous...unless you count before I started using products on my hair..I have tried most of the fragrances offered and am happy with any of them.
I am curious about the CV bars you talk about. Maybe I should try one...hmmm..

Tinose
October 25th, 2009, 07:10 PM
For those of you who use the body (soap) bars on your hair, what is the difference in results??? I love the 'poo bars, and want to order more but got side-tracked by the yummy flavors of the regular soap.......

Sorry- meant the CV bars

Basically, soap for body has a <i>lot</i> more oil in it. I haven't tried the very moisturizing shampoo bars yet, but I would guess that the soap is one step up from that. I've used it to condition before, but most the bars I've tried had way too much oil to make my scalp feel clean and left my hair feeling a little greasy even the day after. That said, Rhassoul and Yogurt and...really any of the bars recommended for oily skin are probably your best bet if you want to experiment!

I have been using the shampoo bars from Mehendi for quite some time. I shampoo every 2-3 days and rarely use conditioner, and only on the very ends when I do. When I say rarely, I mean once every 3 or 4 months or more. Just don't feel the need to. I use henna on my hair and combined with the bars, my hair is thicker and shinier than at any time previous...unless you count before I started using products on my hair..I have tried most of the fragrances offered and am happy with any of them.
I am curious about the CV bars you talk about. Maybe I should try one...hmmm..

I'm glad you like them! I've eyed them before, but I've heard they're too moisturizing for a lot of hair, and my hair gets greasy pretty easy. If you want to try CV, I'd say go with the moisturizing shampoo bars like the babassu bars.:cheese:

masterofmidgets
October 25th, 2009, 08:19 PM

Sorry- meant the CV bars

I used the Aloe soap bar on my hair on Friday (I didn't realize until I was in the shower that my shampoo bar was almost gone, and I didn't want to go back to my room and get another one) and I wasn't crazy about it. It was too moisturizing for me - it took my hair longer to dry, and it feels greasier than usual. But then I still use conditioner with my bars, and I probably should have thought to use less. :o

marikamt
October 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I used the Aloe soap bar on my hair on Friday (I didn't realize until I was in the shower that my shampoo bar was almost gone, and I didn't want to go back to my room and get another one) and I wasn't crazy about it. It was too moisturizing for me - it took my hair longer to dry, and it feels greasier than usual. But then I still use conditioner with my bars, and I probably should have thought to use less. :o

I use conditioner w/ my shampoo bars too... mostly to detangle though, from the ears down.... maybe I should just stick w/ the poo bars and not try the regular.

masterofmidgets
October 25th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm jealous of the people who can use shampoo bars with no conditioner - when I try that I end up with hair that could eat small animals. :p

I would think if your hair does well with the more moisturizing bars, like Marshmallow and Babassu or Olive and Babassu, it's worth trying out a soap bar to see if your hair likes it. If you need the more cleansing bars, like Chamomile and Citrus, the extra oils in the soap bars are probably going to be a little overwhelming, especially if you condition.

And of course, even if your hair doesn't like it, you'll still have an awesome body bar to use!

marikamt
October 25th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I'm jealous of the people who can use shampoo bars with no conditioner - when I try that I end up with hair that could eat small animals. :p

I would think if your hair does well with the more moisturizing bars, like Marshmallow and Babassu or Olive and Babassu, it's worth trying out a soap bar to see if your hair likes it. If you need the more cleansing bars, like Chamomile and Citrus, the extra oils in the soap bars are probably going to be a little overwhelming, especially if you condition.

And of course, even if your hair doesn't like it, you'll still have an awesome body bar to use!

I do like the moisturizing ones.... Marshamallow Babbassu is my fave, Cafe Moreno next..... Oh jeez... I feel an order coming on....... there were about 3 or 4 soap bars I wanted to try (not to mention 2 more poo bars)....... and the lotion bars....... possibly a lip balm and a doggy shampoo......
oh, cripes.

Tinose
October 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I do like the moisturizing ones.... Marshamallow Babbassu is my fave, Cafe Moreno next..... Oh jeez... I feel an order coming on....... there were about 3 or 4 soap bars I wanted to try (not to mention 2 more poo bars)....... and the lotion bars....... possibly a lip balm and a doggy shampoo......
oh, cripes.

Have fun! :D

Maelyssa
October 25th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I just started using the Castile & Calendula Baby Soap for shampooing this week followed with a conditioner & absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the results. I've used some of the poo bars from CV & it's kind of left my hair a bit limp & unimpressive but using this has so far been an amazing hair experience. I can't say enough good things. My hair feels softer plus it has the kind of volume that I normally need a salon & blowfryer to produce. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things stay this wonderful.
I feel like this particular CV soap bar has less oil than the rest so it's just right for my skin (no breakouts) and hair (no grease + lots of volume).
Give it a try!

Madame J
October 26th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I just blogged about using a Dr. Bronner's bar soap for washing. I had a horrible reaction to a fragranced, detergent-based shampoo, and have decided that it's karma punishing me for forsaking shampoo bars. I'm totally scent-free for the next month while I make sure my reaction was body stuff and not a food allergy. Bottom line was that it worked better than I'd hoped and the month won't be so long after all. And tons of lather!

marikamt
October 26th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Okay.... here are the actual soaps I want to try (for hair mostly)... if anyone has tried these and has feedback, I would appreciate it..... or tell me to stick w/ the 'poo bars
Chocolate Orange
Dead Sea Spa (or should I get the Mud and clay 'poo?)
Lavender Rosemary (or should I get the Lavender/ Spice 'poo?)
Pumpkin Orange Spice
Eggnog Spice

I do condition after 'poo bars, so I *think* my hair can handle the extra moisture, unless it really does something odd......

Tinose
October 26th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I used their apple spice, and it was great on my hair (as conditioner, admittedly), so I imagine that pumpkin and eggnog spice is very similar. One thing I'd remember with their stuff with cinnamon in it is that cinnamon's an irritant. I ended up finishing off my apple spice bar on my hair away from my scalp largely because it was irritating my skin, and I'm generally not extremely susceptible to that kind of thing. So I'd keep it to one cinnamony item at a time unless you already know you're okay with cinnamon in the quantities they use.

I tried chocolate orange, but only as a hand and body soap. It was fantastical there though, and probably somewhere in the middle when it comes to moisturizing, so it's probably a pretty good bet.

The others I haven't tried yet, I'm afraid!

Tinose
October 26th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I just started using the Castile & Calendula Baby Soap for shampooing this week followed with a conditioner & absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the results. I've used some of the poo bars from CV & it's kind of left my hair a bit limp & unimpressive but using this has so far been an amazing hair experience. I can't say enough good things. My hair feels softer plus it has the kind of volume that I normally need a salon & blowfryer to produce. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things stay this wonderful.
I feel like this particular CV soap bar has less oil than the rest so it's just right for my skin (no breakouts) and hair (no grease + lots of volume).
Give it a try!

I'll have to include that in my next order! I've been eyeing it myself since it looks pretty awesome.

Dolly
October 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I use the Aloe Aloe Aloe as a shampoo bar, and it works really nice on my hair....but then again, my hair craves moisture....my fave poo bars are Olive Babassu and Babassu Marshmallow....

kayes
October 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM

Sorry- meant the CV bars

I haven't tried any of the ones you mentioned. I've tried chamomile and calendula, aloe aloe aloe, and a couple that weren't CV. I found them to be really nice. I didn't try any one kind more than once in a row, but I found when I used a soap bar every time I washed it was a bit too much and I really needed to clarify. But my hair type, tips towards the oily side, so I use soaps once in a while as a more moisturising shampoo. Of the two CV bars I tried, I preferred the aloe aloe aloe.

apynip
October 26th, 2009, 07:49 PM
i've got a question. I bought home made lye soap and could it be used on hair? i've been kinda wanting to try 'poo bars and was wondering if they would work or would it dy out my hair too much?

Fractalsofhair
October 26th, 2009, 08:24 PM
i've got a question. I bought home made lye soap and could it be used on hair? i've been kinda wanting to try 'poo bars and was wondering if they would work or would it dy out my hair too much?
It could be a little drying, but it's worth a try! I use shampoo bars and I used to use Doc Bronner's Soap on my hair when I was little, and it worked fine.

florenonite
October 27th, 2009, 06:55 AM

It's worth a try. You should probably follow it with an acid rinse, though, as soap lifts the cuticle.

Henna Sooq
October 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Was the ACV also helpful if the scalp and roots felt a bit greasy. I haven't used conditioner in about 10 days and did use some this morning, and it felt less greasy-ish.

Henna Sooq
October 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM
PS yes that was a question, forgot the ? mark :)

Tinose
October 27th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I've noticed that my acv rinse definitely decreases greasiness for me, yeah.

disneynut1977
October 27th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Dead Sea Spa
I use the 1 with scent.

I have used that 1 in the past for my un henna'd hair and I loved it. Better than the mud & Clay shampoo bar. I actually always keep the DS bar in stock for my face along with her newer salt bar and tea tree & neem bar's. I just placed an order yesterday for over $60 worth of mostly samples. Picked up an extra bar of Pumkin as I loved this last fall and a whole size lavender doggie bar as I read somebody here recommended it for hair. I got almost all her poo bar's in samples except for 1 she was out of. I've tried half of her stuff already, but not since using henna and I do think it's gonna make a difference, so I'll start a trial all over again:D

Also placed a large PLH poo bar order too. I'm up to my eye balls in poo bars. I would say i don't have to order any more for another year at least.

Melissa1977

Henna Sooq
October 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks Tinose, must buy some then

florenonite
October 29th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I got my samples today :D And she included an extra Mud & Clay one because the sample turned out a bit small :D I'm so excited to try them, but don't know what to try first. I think I'll go for the chamomile citrus one, as that has good reviews for oily hair.

Liave Ekeli
October 29th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I got my samples today :D And she included an extra Mud & Clay one because the sample turned out a bit small :D I'm so excited to try them, but don't know what to try first. I think I'll go for the chamomile citrus one, as that has good reviews for oily hair.

Yay for shampoo bars in the mail! :D
Let me know how they work for you

Elfe
October 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I just orderd my first alepposoap (I know this is not a shampoo bar :p) and I am so curious about it. I wonder if it will work for me, because of my skin issues...

Tinose
October 29th, 2009, 09:11 PM
The Aleppo soap looks interesting! I'd be tempted to try it myself if I weren't planning on getting a Castile bar in my next order from CV anyway.

rose_in_bloom
October 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I tried out the Ayurvedic bar this morning, and I love it!! My hair isn't totally dry yet, but it already feels super soft and clean. :D Yay! I used a very mild citric acid rinse and a little bit of AO honeysuckle rose conditioner on my ends, like I always do. So yeah, I'm happy with this bar! I will definitely order it again.

Aries_jb
October 30th, 2009, 02:32 PM
How does the bar smell? I want to try it, but I'm particular about scent.

florenonite
October 31st, 2009, 05:19 AM
I tried my chamomile citrus bar out yesterday morning, and it smelled lovely in the shower, but once out of the shower I could barely smell it even when I sniffed my hair. This is a plus for me, because I can't stand it when people smell of multiple scents; this allows me to just smell of coconut oil, which I use copiously as a moisturiser.

I used one lather, but I'm not sure that was sufficient because my hair last night was starting to look greasy. It might have just been damp still, though, as I put it up when it was still slightly damp. I'll report back later after I've actually gotten out of bed and had a look at my hair. It doesn't feel greasy right now :shrug:

I didn't need an acid rinse (another pro!), and my hair felt so soft and amazing afterwards :D

Definitely a good bar!

emi77
October 31st, 2009, 11:50 AM
Hey everyone!:waving:

I haven't trawled through all of this thread yet, so forgive me if this has already been asked! :D
Has anyone from the UK ordered CV (or PLH) bars and if so, did you have to pay horendous customs prices?
Its just it kinda makes it too expensive for me if there is!

Sorry for slight hijack too! lol

CopperHead
October 31st, 2009, 01:12 PM
I tried out the Ayurvedic bar this morning, and I love it!! My hair isn't totally dry yet, but it already feels super soft and clean. :D Yay! I used a very mild citric acid rinse and a little bit of AO honeysuckle rose conditioner on my ends, like I always do. So yeah, I'm happy with this bar! I will definitely order it again.

I just got mine today and it smells heavenly! It smells so light and fresh that I can't wait to try it. I got another Cafe Moreno too, which I love. :cheese:

Neoma
October 31st, 2009, 01:40 PM
I just got mine today and it smells heavenly! It smells so light and fresh that I can't wait to try it. I got another Cafe Moreno too, which I love. :cheese:Yum, I love the fragrance of Cafe Moreno, too.

Liave Ekeli
October 31st, 2009, 06:24 PM
I think my hair loves the CV Mud & Clay bar...at least at the moment :D I've tried all the CV samples I ordered except the Summer Sunshine, and my current favourites are Mud&Clay and Rosemary Mint. But from the looks of it I might have to order a sample of the Ayurvedic bar the next time I order.
Oh, why did I ever join a community full of enablers... *sigh*

Maybe I can get my mom to sponsor me a little bit the next time I want to go berserk at CV... She is currently using my Neem/Tee Tree bar, so maybe.

Tinose
October 31st, 2009, 07:12 PM
I just ordered over $100 at CV! :cheese:

Granted, most of that was not hair shampoo as my skin's been horribly dry lately, but it should be enough to have some fun. Especially with the new Ayurvedic bar.

Liave Ekeli
October 31st, 2009, 07:37 PM
I just ordered over $100 at CV! :cheese:

Granted, most of that was not hair shampoo as my skin's been horribly dry lately, but it should be enough to have some fun. Especially with the new Ayurvedic bar.

You have to stop saying these things... :p It makes me want to go on another CV shopping spree (albeit not necessarily a 100$ one) and that's not at all what I should spend my money on right now. I'm a poor undergrad student for crying out loud, I shouldn't be spending 50$ on soaps...should I?

Tinose
October 31st, 2009, 08:13 PM
Enable people into loving it with you! That way you can split the shipping and even the bars if you want and makes it so much more cost effective.

florenonite
November 1st, 2009, 03:24 AM
Hey everyone!:waving:

I haven't trawled through all of this thread yet, so forgive me if this has already been asked! :D
Has anyone from the UK ordered CV (or PLH) bars and if so, did you have to pay horendous customs prices?
Its just it kinda makes it too expensive for me if there is!

Sorry for slight hijack too! lol

I'm in the UK and ordered from CV. I got ten samples, and shipping was I think $12 US in a flatpack envelope. All in all, it was £25 for ten samples, which should last quite some time (given how my last shampoo bar I got lasted about four months, these ten samples of comparable size should last at least a year). It was a lot to spend all at once, but overall I don't think it was too bad, because between the ten bars it was less than £1 shipping per bar.

Liave Ekeli
November 1st, 2009, 06:31 AM
Enable people into loving it with you! That way you can split the shipping and even the bars if you want and makes it so much more cost effective.

I'm working on it ;)

rose_in_bloom
November 1st, 2009, 11:33 PM
How does the bar smell? I want to try it, but I'm particular about scent.

I think it smells really nice! It's a stronger scent than most of the shampoo bars because it has so many great EOs. I'd say it's a mix of herbal and spicy with a hint of floral.

Aries_jb
November 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the review rose in bloom. I always thought I didn't care about scent until I started ordering on line and now I always have to ask first :). Most of her shampoo bars work well for me, so I mainly go by scent and ingredients and I really like the ingredients in that bar, so I'm hoping I'll like the scent as well.

I wasn't planning on ordering for awhile, but I really love her seasonal soaps that she has this time of year. At least if the apocalypse ever happens I'll be one of the cleanest survivors, lol.

CopperHead
November 2nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
I used the Ayuvedic poo bar last night and it cleaned better than any other I have used before. It feels like I used a regular shampoo. My hair is soft and shiney and smells great. I really like this bar. :) No gunky stuff either.

Odie
November 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
I'm already placing my second order with CV.... and it's NOT FOR ME! Well, I got some samples too, so it IS for me...

When I placed my first order, I got a sample of the Neem and Tree Tea oil for my husband (who has longer hair than I do!) because he has scalp issues like-whoa.

He's now COMPLETELY addicted to it. He says he loves what it does to his hair. His scalp has improved, but it's marginal improvement after a couple weeks of use. Still, he's seeing better results than when he was trying the absolutely AWFUL options they sell at the store - do YOU want to put coal tar in your hair?? YUCK.

His sample bar fell into the tub after his shower (our drain constantly gets backed up due to the amount of hair in our house - his girls have long hair too) which he discovered this morning. He was clearly not happy about this! I wouldn't go so far to say he was upset, but after his "Oh, I don't know... a bar of soap? In my hair? How expensive is it? How long will it last?" reaction to the initial sample, he's made a 100&#37; turn around, which I find completely hilarious :) And good! But really, really funny.

Anyway, I'm going to try Cafe Moreno and Chamomile and Citrus for myself... I need to switch over and try the Mud and Clay bar that I got last time too. I'm liking the Honey and Egg, but it's not providing me the body I'd hoped for. My hair still gets rather greasy between washings too (I can't let it go for days and days, I'd be too self-conscious about it at work). I'm also going to get us some of those plastic soap dishes too, so we can store the bars more properly in the medicine cabinet.

Anyone else ever oh-so-completely converted someone?

Dolly
November 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
The Neem and Tea Tree is great on scalp issues! My 10 year old son has SD on his scalp, and those thick yellow scaly patches were driving him crazy itching.....we even tried a prescription that his pediatrician gave us......Neem and Tea Tree bars from CV cleared it up! I do liquefy it for him though.....he has hellishly thick hair, and was having a problem getting his scalp saturated, so I cut the bars in little pieces and put them in a shampoo bottle full of warm water.....he finds it much easier to work with, and his head doesn't itch now.....he's sooooo happy about that! He had to go spend the weekend at his Dad's recently, and said....."Mom, I dont have any of my shampoo at Dad's house, so can I take one of my special soaps?"

spiderfang
November 3rd, 2009, 02:12 PM
I'm in the UK and ordered from CV. I got ten samples, and shipping was I think $12 US in a flatpack envelope.....

Hi florenonite, just wondering how long the delivery time was to UK?

Many thanks

florenonite
November 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM

Many thanks

I ordered on a Monday and got them on a Thursday a week-and-a-half later. This is with the postal strike, too.

spiderfang
November 3rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
I ordered on a Monday and got them on a Thursday a week-and-a-half later. This is with the postal strike, too.

Cheers florenonite, that's pretty quick from the US especially with all the postal strikes!

kayes
November 4th, 2009, 08:22 AM

Many thanks

When I ordered beforethe strike, it took less than a week, maybe five days, so for the future, when the strikes are over, it should be a lot faster.

Liave Ekeli
November 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I'm already placing my second order with CV.... and it's NOT FOR ME! Well, I got some samples too, so it IS for me...

When I placed my first order, I got a sample of the Neem and Tree Tea oil for my husband (who has longer hair than I do!) because he has scalp issues like-whoa.

He's now COMPLETELY addicted to it. He says he loves what it does to his hair. His scalp has improved, but it's marginal improvement after a couple weeks of use. Still, he's seeing better results than when he was trying the absolutely AWFUL options they sell at the store - do YOU want to put coal tar in your hair?? YUCK.

His sample bar fell into the tub after his shower (our drain constantly gets backed up due to the amount of hair in our house - his girls have long hair too) which he discovered this morning. He was clearly not happy about this! I wouldn't go so far to say he was upset, but after his "Oh, I don't know... a bar of soap? In my hair? How expensive is it? How long will it last?" reaction to the initial sample, he's made a 100% turn around, which I find completely hilarious :) And good! But really, really funny.

Anyway, I'm going to try Cafe Moreno and Chamomile and Citrus for myself... I need to switch over and try the Mud and Clay bar that I got last time too. I'm liking the Honey and Egg, but it's not providing me the body I'd hoped for. My hair still gets rather greasy between washings too (I can't let it go for days and days, I'd be too self-conscious about it at work). I'm also going to get us some of those plastic soap dishes too, so we can store the bars more properly in the medicine cabinet.

Anyone else ever oh-so-completely converted someone?

I think I've managed to convert my mom, coincidentally also with the Neem/Tee tree bar. The last time I was at my parents' place she told me that the next time I ordered from CV she needed another bar of Neem/Tee tree :D

Henna Sooq
November 4th, 2009, 08:47 AM
UK postal system, in general is really fast and excellent. It is mostly due to their service that gets it there really fast

Odie
November 4th, 2009, 02:57 PM
The Neem and Tea Tree is great on scalp issues! My 10 year old son has SD on his scalp, and those thick yellow scaly patches were driving him crazy itching.....we even tried a prescription that his pediatrician gave us......Neem and Tea Tree bars from CV cleared it up! I do liquefy it for him though.....he has hellishly thick hair, and was having a problem getting his scalp saturated, so I cut the bars in little pieces and put them in a shampoo bottle full of warm water.....he finds it much easier to work with, and his head doesn't itch now.....he's sooooo happy about that! He had to go spend the weekend at his Dad's recently, and said....."Mom, I dont have any of my shampoo at Dad's house, so can I take one of my special soaps?"
That's a GREAT idea for kid use. I didn't want to get any 'poo bars for my stepdaughters, they're not very good at taking care of things that need taking care of (what kid is, right?). But, if I could dole it out in small bits like that, they can only waste so much so fast. :) Food for thought!

Henna Sooq
November 4th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Odie, it's a perfect idea to cut cut in 3-4 pieces and let them use a bit at a time. It's a great option for anyone.

Tinose
November 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I just received my massive order today! The Ayurvedic bar smells absolutely yummy. If only I needed to shampoo my hair right now.

Question, though. Has anyone else received any extra samples from her? I got four complimentary samples (one of coconut milk), and I don't remember ever getting any before. I've been attempting to convert a few friends into it, and one absolutely refuses unless she gets free samples. So I'm wondering if this is new or I just didn't remember or if it's just with giant orders or what.

Liave Ekeli
November 5th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I just received my massive order today! The Ayurvedic bar smells absolutely yummy. If only I needed to shampoo my hair right now.

Question, though. Has anyone else received any extra samples from her? I got four complimentary samples (one of coconut milk), and I don't remember ever getting any before. I've been attempting to convert a few friends into it, and one absolutely refuses unless she gets free samples. So I'm wondering if this is new or I just didn't remember or if it's just with giant orders or what.

I haven't gotten any free samples, but then again I'm a fairly new customer and I've only ordered from her twice. I've also ordered mostly sample sizes, I don't know if that's relevant to getting free samples or not...

That said, I'm very close to placing another order. My mom asking me to order another bar of Neem/Tee tree soap for her must have triggered something, because now I have that and eight other samples currently on my list - it's mostly soap samples this time around though, but I also have a sample of the Ayurvedic bar on said list.
I could ask someone here to stop me from ordering, but that would be pretty useless, wouldn't it? ;)

disneynut1977
November 5th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I only recieved 1 sample from her years ago on my first order. So for my experiance she doesn't hand them out. I also had just gotten my large order from CV, over $50 of samples sizes, a few full size bars and I only recieved what I paid for. Unlike PLH, I ordered 5 full size poo bars and asked if possible to include sample poo bars for the 1's I didn't buy and I got them :)

Melissa1977

Henna Sooq
November 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Samples are nice goodies to get. :) fortunate for you to have received them.

UncommonTart
November 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Just thought I'd check in with my progress since I've been using the CV bars for a while now. (Actually, I left them and "came back.") The Honey, Beer, & Egg bar proved to be too much for every-wash use; I eventually wound up getting extra-tangly hair, which I tend to get from too much protein. I still love to use it now and then as a "treatment" type shampoo, though.

I'm having great sucess with Summer Sunshine, which is neither too drying, nor too moisturizing, and not especially protein-y either. (It's my Goldilocks shampoo, hehe...) I follow that with a heavy vinegar rinse and a tiny bit of Kiss My Face condtioner (cone free, not too heavy, and smells so good). I do a light post wash oiling while my hair is still damp.

This routine has been working very well for me. I've got more wave and less frizz and my hair feels soft and smooth and looks so shiny. My hair is finally living up to my expectations. I've got the hair I've wanted to have for the past sixteen years! And all I had to do was ignore everything that every "hair expert" I've ever seen has told me!

Xepher
November 10th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Just got my massive CV order about 10 minutes ago! SUPER HAPPY! :D

I got Scarborough Fair, Goat Milk Oatmeal Honey, and Aloe Aloe Aloe for the first time, as well as a sample of the ayurvedic bar which, as Tinose said, smells very yummy! Plus a big bar of Babassu Marshmallow shampoo, of course!

Also got two free complimentary samples as well, one of the Coconut Milk shampoo, and the other of the Honey Butter soap. It pays to be a loyal customer some times :) It was a really pleasant, sweet surprise, and I couldn't help but exclaim "Awww!". Thank you Ida!

Man it feels good to have my soap supply restocked.

ArienEllariel
November 11th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Bert's Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo bar? What did you think of it? I bought one that I'm going to try out tomorrow. It's got a different sort of smell; I can't quite decide if I like it or not. Anyways, did any of you like it?

disneynut1977
November 11th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Bert's Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo bar? What did you think of it? I bought one that I'm going to try out tomorrow. It's got a different sort of smell; I can't quite decide if I like it or not. Anyways, did any of you like it?

I tried it years ago on my virgin hair. I did not care for it, it was very drying to me. I think there are so many better poo bars out there, I wouldn't bother trying this 1.........unless you have very short hair, like a pixie cut or such. Would work great for a guy with short hair.

Melissa1977

Madame J
November 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I tried it years ago on my virgin hair. I did not care for it, it was very drying to me. I think there are so many better poo bars out there, I wouldn't bother trying this 1.........unless you have very short hair, like a pixie cut or such. Would work great for a guy with short hair.
Melissa1977

How did you use it? Did you use an acid rinse or conditioner afterwards?

Most of the reviews of the BB Rosemary Mint shampoo bar have been negative, but the complaints are mostly things that sound like soap residue. Like any shampoo bar, you have to experiment to figure out what's going to work and what's not. For example, a lot of people complain about JR Liggett bars, about things like coated, waxy hair, or dry stiffness. But I found that one to work best, especially when I did a properly-diluted ACV rinse after washing.

I tried the Dr. Bronner's Citrus Conditioning Rinse today as my acid rinse, and my hair is lovely. I know a lot of people don't like it, but if you don't need a lot of conditioning, my hair feels much healthier than just after a wash with my Dr. B bar and an ACV rinse. More details on my blog.

ArienEllariel
November 11th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Okay so I tried the Bert's Bees Rosmary Mint bar today. I didn't care for it much. :/ My hair felt kind of wet and waxy afterwards, even when I followed up with conditioner. Now that my hair is dry, it feels much drier than normal and a courser texture... which isn't very appealing. The one positive thing I have to say is that my hair was much easier to comb after washing.

I am not familiar with using ACV rinses at all so I haven't tried that yet. I guess I'll have to keep looking around for a different bar- although I am so lost when it comes to natural products, especially shampoo bars. I've only ever used liquid shampoos full of SLS and the like before. Do any of you have recommendations for shampoo bars that you like? I need something that is moisturizing but not too heavy for my fine hair. My scalp tends to be more on the oily side after a day or two... so I need something that will clean without overdrying, I guess.

Longlocks3
November 11th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Okay so I tried the Bert's Bees Rosmary Mint bar today. I didn't care for it much. :/ My hair felt kind of wet and waxy afterwards, even when I followed up with conditioner. Now that my hair is dry, it feels much drier than normal and a courser texture... which isn't very appealing. The one positive thing I have to say is that my hair was much easier to comb after washing.

I am not familiar with using ACV rinses at all so I haven't tried that yet. I guess I'll have to keep looking around for a different bar- although I am so lost when it comes to natural products, especially shampoo bars. I've only ever used liquid shampoos full of SLS and the like before. Do any of you have recommendations for shampoo bars that you like? I need something that is moisturizing but not too heavy for my fine hair. My scalp tends to be more on the oily side after a day or two... so I need something that will clean without overdrying, I guess.

I used ACV rinses. The trick is to play around with the ratio of water to ACV and find out what works for you. I put about a tablespoon or two in a large bottle, it probably holds about 4-5 cups of water.

From what I understand, some sort of acidic rinse is almost always needed for shampoo bars.

masterofmidgets
November 12th, 2009, 12:53 AM
So, I remember when I started using CV bars last year I posted trying to figure out how long they were supposed to last, because I was going through them way too fast for my tastes. Now I have the opposite problem - they are lasting so long, and I want to buy more! I'm still using the four sample bars I bought in JUNE, and at this rate they'll last me another couple months at least. But I'm dying to buy some full-size bars, and I can't wait to try out the new Ayurvedic bar, not to mention all the soap flavors I've got my eyes on.

Clearly you all are a terrible influence on me, making me want to buy things I won't even be able to use til January. ;)

kayes
November 12th, 2009, 02:51 AM

I think most people on here like the Chagrin Valley bars (CV). I've tried the unscented marshmallow root bar from Sweet Creek Herbs (SCH) which I liked, but after I while I've gone back to the CV bars.
On their website they have recommendations for oily/dry hair bars, but its not fool proof and what works for one person won't work for someone else who describes their hair the same way.
I like the Mud and Clay bar, which is supposedly for oily hair, but I find it less drying that others. I also like the tea tree and neem. Chamomile and citrus is also for oily hair, but I find it leaves my hair a bit limp, whereas other people swear by it.

A lot of people use ACV rinses, like Longlocks3 mentioned. I use citric acid. It comes in a solid crystal/powder. I mix about a teaspoon with 500-700mls of water and leave the bottle in the shower, since it doesn't need to be refrigerated, and it has no smell. I find that I need the rinse with the CV bars, but not with the SCH bar, otherwise the cuticle doesn't lie flat and my hair gets big and tangled. I've started using a tiny bit of Aubreys conditioner mixed with a little water after the rinse now that the weather is getting cold again.
The best thing to do is order a whole bunch of samples, I originally ordered two that sounded exactly like what I needed from the description, but I really don't like either of them. Then, try a few different rinses, in different concentrations, temperatures, etc., see what works.

spiderfang
November 12th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Now I have the opposite problem - they are lasting so long, and I want to buy more!

You could always 'unintentionally' leave it in a puddle of water! :rolleyes:

Liave Ekeli
November 12th, 2009, 11:32 AM
So, I remember when I started using CV bars last year I posted trying to figure out how long they were supposed to last, because I was going through them way too fast for my tastes. Now I have the opposite problem - they are lasting so long, and I want to buy more!

Don't let that stop you. I know I've got too many already, and that those I have will probably last me ages, but I still ordered more ;) I can't wait to try the auyrvedic herb one, I've got a sample coming soon (hopefully! I thought I might get it today, but my mailbox was empty :( ), as well as loads of soap samples.

Liave Ekeli
November 13th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I have a hair-washing dilemma today... Go with Mud & Clay (that I know works for my hair) or try the ayurvedic bar sample that was in my mailbox today?
Decisions, decisions...

florenonite
November 13th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Do you have to go anywhere today? :lol:

If not, try the new one. If you have somewhere you need to look presentable, go with what works.

Liave Ekeli
November 13th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I do, that's why it's a little bit of a dilemma :p Nothing major, but I am going downtown, and then home to my parents for the weekend and I would like my hair to not look disastrous... not that anyone's going to care except me probably, but still...

curly girl fla
November 13th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I had stopped using bars for awhile in favor of ayurvedic herb washes....then I started CO again since I felt like I needed more moisture...recently I pulled out my CV soaps and fell in love again, so, of course I had to place another order. I absolutely adore the CV Ayurvedic Shampoo Bar :love: ! I've used it a few times, no ACV rinse, just some Joyce Williams Hair Food and leave-in with varioius gels...It leaves my hair soft and conditioned, not stripped or greasy, and I really like the herbal fragrance. I also ordered other soap bars for both skin & hair, but I think I will stick with this one for awhile. :)

rose_in_bloom
November 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I agree 100&#37; with you about the ayurvedic poo bar, curly girl fla!

I've been using it exclusively for about two weeks, and it is just fabulous! My hair is especially nice the day after washing (I wash every other day).

inty
November 15th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I am trying to come back to my CV bars that ordered back in August. Back then I had less luck with them than with my previous samples. After a couple of uses it just wouldn't work. I gathered some wisdom on this thread and tried Summer Sunshine yesterday. It was fantastic, I couldn't believe it :cheese:

What I did: clarified with condish and BS. Then washed with shampoo bar - lathered twice (before I did only once). Then I used weak ACV rinse (1tbsp in 0.5 liter water), let it sit a minute, massaged and rinsed, and then did same ACV round again and *didn't rinse it out*. Smell went away very quickly and my hair dried in perfect corcscrews, shiny and frizz-free. That was a surprize! It was so good, that I couldn't dare to comb it till today. Combing was ok-ish, a bit tangly but easy to detangle and, oh so voluminous :) And very quickly curls all clumped together back again!

So this time I had none of the probs which I had in the past:
- no gunk at all in my hair, pillow, comb, scalp
- no dry or crunchy ends
- almost no tangles
- no waxy/greasy feel

Apparently this is how it was *intended* to work and I loved this result :) I will keep trying my other bars with this method and see what happens. Next comes Citrus and Chamomille - will report in a week.

Longlocks3
November 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I've order way too many CV poo bar samples. I'm on my second one, and I love them! My transfer from CO to poo bars wasn't a problem at all. No weird hair, no greasiness, nothing. But then again, when I went from bad shampoo to CO only, I didn't have any problems switching over.

I've been keeping track of each new bar I try on my blog too! I've only done Nettle and Lavender Spice so far.

disneynut1977
November 25th, 2009, 06:00 AM
How did you use it? Did you use an acid rinse or conditioner afterwards?It was awhile ago, but I don't think I knew about ACV rinses yet. So yes, your right, that would make a difference........but still considering what else is out there. I would go with another poo bar before that 1. There are so many choices out there.
I used to use ALOT of BB's products than switched to Kiss my Face years ago and CV face soaps. I recently read that the Clorax company has bought BB's out, which doesn't make me want to ever return to them. I starting using BB's, because I always have a reaction to chemical loaded products.

On another note, has anybody noticed that with poo bar's; your loosing more hair daily?

Melissa1977

Longlocks3
November 25th, 2009, 07:25 AM
On another note, has anybody noticed that with poo bar's; your loosing more hair daily?

Melissa1977

Yes and no. I am losing more hair but there are lots of other factors that I'm sure may be contributing(seasonal shed, coming off hormonal birth control). So I can't say that it's the shampoo bars and it's not enough to make me worry. My hair feels thicker once it's dry from the poo bars.

Dolly
November 25th, 2009, 09:23 AM
My hair feels thicker once it's dry from the poo bars.

My hair feels much thicker, too! Love it!

I don't notice any more hair loss from poo bars....I will say though, that I recently tried just a conditioner after a poo bar (no acid rinse), and I ended up going back in the shower after my hair dried, to do a vinegar rinse....nasty, waxy hair! Acid rinses are a MUST for me!!

Henna Sooq
November 25th, 2009, 09:43 AM
My hair feels thicker and for sure less hair loss.

I found too much build up when using the shampoo bars, and I tried the ACV and it helped so much (even though it stinks like crazy!!)

kayes
November 25th, 2009, 11:44 AM
On another note, has anybody noticed that with poo bar's; your loosing more hair daily? Melissa1977

I have. My hair is on the curly side, so unless I've straigtened it I don't brush it when its dry. I found that with normal shampoo and conditioner, I lost most of my hair in the shower as I conditioned. With the poo bars, I lose little or no hair in the shower, presumably because of the texture of my hair with the poo bars... not as slippery, and I find I that more of it is in my bed/ brush etc. I justify it with the fact that its probably the same amount of hair, just its coming out at different times than I'm used to. Plus... yeah, my hair is so much thicker and has so much more body with the poo bars I'm not too worried.

yellowchariot
November 25th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for starting this thread! I just found it today! LOL I got lost, I took a wrong turn at the "Discussion Forums"! I've read about soap bars here on the forums and how some of the members prefer them. I have never heard of them before!

whiteisle
November 29th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Does anyone find that cv bars don't work for them? It seems that most people like them but I seem to have more issues with them vs the PLH ones. Just wondering....:)

Velouria
November 29th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Absolutely, I had no luck with CV bars (I tried 4 varieties), but love all of my bars from Sweet Creek Herbs. In fact, of the 4 brands of shampoo bars I've tried, CV was the 2nd worst for my hair. And I'm not the only one. A member of nc.com comes to mind....she already used a different brand of shampoo soap and loved it, but after trying CV said that if she wasn't already a convert to washing with bars, her results with CV would have put her off the whole concept.

I've never tried PLH.

intothemist1999
November 30th, 2009, 07:15 AM
HAHA, I'm two years late to this thread -- I should have known Neoma started it, she got ME hooked. I went to Lush to check out her recommendation on Karma perfume, and came home with 2 shampoo bars instead!:D

I'm IN LOVE with the Karma and the Trichomania!!! I've been CO for a very long time, but these leave my hair so shiny, clean, and smelling nice, that I'm hooked!!

Neoma
November 30th, 2009, 08:37 AM
HAHA, I'm two years late to this thread -- I should have known Neoma started it, she got ME hooked. I went to Lush to check out her recommendation on Karma perfume, and came home with 2 shampoo bars instead!:D

I'm IN LOVE with the Karma and the Trichomania!!! I've been CO for a very long time, but these leave my hair so shiny, clean, and smelling nice, that I'm hooked!!Welcome to the shampoo bar thread, intothemist!

Most of this thread focuses on soap-based shampoo bars, though, from time to time, someone will mention LUSH, which are SLS based. I currently have both Karma Komba and Trichomania in my soap dish. If I had to choose one, it would be Trichomania, because I feel that it is more gentle. But both work well for me as long as I use conditioner.

Henna Sooq
November 30th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I just wonder what is it that is in the bars that make the CV not as great as others. Like it must be the ingredients. I am kind of feeling that they put a lot of ingredients in their shampoo bars, and the more you put the more diluted and less effects you get from certain ingredients.

When you have a few ingredients (like henna powder being more potent, then Lush henna products would be because they are diluted) you get the best out of those ingredients. More benefits in my opinion. It kind of makes sense to me when I think about it.

whiteisle
November 30th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I was wondering the same thing about the number of ingredients in the cv bars.

Tinose
November 30th, 2009, 10:39 AM
That's an interesting point. I'd guess that you're correct for why it doesn't work for some people at least. I suppose they could instead use their coconut milk bar or their castile soap or something, but it seems rather pointless when there's so many other excellent bars.

Henna Sooq
November 30th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Yes my thoughts were that a shampoo bar could focus on one main purpose and get the fuller, stronger benefits of the ingredient the person would be aiming to use, to get best results for their hair. Like let's say honey, well then it would have honey in it obviously but not so many other ingredients as it's base that would give you less honey in it. Like how much benefit could you get if you put a ton of ingredients in one bar? 1-3% I'm not sure.
You can only put but so many ingredients into one bar and when there are lots to put in, that means you have to put less quantity of that ingredient.

Am I making sense? LOL!

Dolly
November 30th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I just wonder what is it that is in the bars that make the CV not as great as others. Like it must be the ingredients. I am kind of feeling that they put a lot of ingredients in their shampoo bars, and the more you put the more diluted and less effects you get from certain ingredients.

When you have a few ingredients (like henna powder being more potent, then Lush henna products would be because they are diluted) you get the best out of those ingredients. More benefits in my opinion. It kind of makes sense to me when I think about it.

I don't think that is true, at least it isn't in my case. Since I found this thread, I have tried MANY shampoo bars....including Sweet Creek, PLH, Serpentine.....CV is the ONLY brand that works for me and my hair. Bottom line is that everybody's hair is different and needs different things.....that's why different people have different results and it is good that there are so many brands on the market!!

CV is a great brand, and the owner is a wonderful talented lady.....I use her shampoo bars, her soaps, and her yummy lip butters too!

Henna Sooq
November 30th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I agree that if it's working for you, you should stick with it. But generally speaking it wouldn't be them alone that put several ingredients into their bars. There are several shampoo bars out there, that aren't as great and made with such care as I have heard CV shampoo bars are.

Not so sure about brand names being important, but rather the recipes would be more important then the name behind it. IMHO

sapphire-o
November 30th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Does anyone find that cv bars don't work for them? It seems that most people like them but I seem to have more issues with them vs the PLH ones. Just wondering....:)

They didn't work for me. My scalp got all itchy and i needed to lather 3 - 4 times to get it clean. I think they're too rich for my oily hair. I love their soap bars. They're the only soap bars I use right now. Though I also need to avoid their most moisturizing bars (like honey butter, cucumber lime, shea rose) because they make my skin itchy, too. I now use mostly J. R. Liggett's shampoo bars and they work great.

I gave my CV bars to DH and they work great for his hair - typical fine blonde Caucasian hair with normal scalp.

Madame J
November 30th, 2009, 08:24 PM
They didn't work for me. My scalp got all itchy and i needed to lather 3 - 4 times to get it clean. I think they're too rich for my oily hair. I love their soap bars. They're the only soap bars I use right now. Though I also need to avoid their most moisturizing bars (like honey butter, cucumber lime, shea rose) because they make my skin itchy, too. I now use mostly J. R. Liggett's shampoo bars and they work great.

I gave my CV bars to DH and they work great for his hair - typical fine blonde Caucasian hair with normal scalp.

I'm another oily-haired person who likes J.R. Liggett's shampoo bars! But, so far, my favorite shampoo bar combo is Dr. Bronner's Baby-Mild bar soap, followed with the Dr. Bronner's Citrus Conditioning rinse (1 capful in a cup or so of warm water). Leaves me clean, yet soft and moisturized.

I'm still experimenting, though, and have a new bar that seems promising.

intothemist1999
December 1st, 2009, 09:18 AM
Welcome to the shampoo bar thread, intothemist!

Most of this thread focuses on soap-based shampoo bars, though, from time to time, someone will mention LUSH, which are SLS based. I currently have both Karma Komba and Trichomania in my soap dish. If I had to choose one, it would be Trichomania, because I feel that it is more gentle. But both work well for me as long as I use conditioner.

Ah, ok! That's my only issue with those bars, that they have SLS.

Would Val's bars (similar to Kiss My Face bars) count? :D Contains: contains saponified olive oil, water, sea salt and natural fragrance.

Neoma
December 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Ah, ok! That's my only issue with those bars, that they have SLS.

Would Val's bars (similar to Kiss My Face bars) count? :D Contains: contains saponified olive oil, water, sea salt and natural fragrance.
What you're describing would quality as a soap bar. Shampoo bars often contain castor oil. For more info on the difference between the two, click here (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/soapvsshamp.htm).

Some people do use soap as shampoo bars. There is one CV soap bar (lemon lavender) that works well for me sometimes.

Henna Sooq
December 1st, 2009, 06:56 PM
Dr. Bonner's has a citrus conditioning rinse? aaww that I'm going to have to find.

kayes
December 2nd, 2009, 04:13 AM

I think it has to do with the acidity. I like some of the CV bars, mud and clay in particular, and I have found now that I lather more than once and whichever CV bar I use, I HAVE TO use an acid rinse, whereas with the PLH and SCH I don't have to lather more than once and I don't have to use an acid rinse, but sometimes I find that using the PLH or SCH bars too many times in a row leaves my hair a bit funny, so I go back to the CV bars. Which one I use on a day to day basis really depends on what my hair feels like, what I want my hair to look like, and for how long (1 day, 2, etc).

Madame J
December 2nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Dr. Bonner's has a citrus conditioning rinse? aaww that I'm going to have to find.

Yeah, I just blogged about it again today. I know a lot of people thought it left their hair dry and tangly, but I find it gives me slip and shine, and makes my hair feel cleaner without being stripped. And it smells like oranges instead of vinegar, which is always a plus.

Umm... I took my hair down just now so I could smell it again... is that weird?

Henna Sooq
December 2nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
Not at all (not weird), if you're hair STILL smells orangey then I want to try some out, for sure. Are you saying you use this instead of ACV? That would be amazing for me! Because the ACV smell and all, I am just not feeling it, but I can't keep up with the shampoo bars without an ACV as it builds up in my hair.

Can you post a link to your blog? Would love to read more. I think it's okay to post the link to you blog or you can place it in your signature so I can get to it :) Thanks!

Madame J
December 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=21985

It's just my LHC blog -- if you can't see it, send me a friend request. I first started blogging about it on the 11th of November, and I've mentioned it a few times since. Yes, I use it instead of ACV, right after I wash with a bar soap or shampoo bar. And it leaves a nice light citrus scent in my hair. Unfortunately, it doesn't come in other fragrances, yet, but I should email the company and suggest they try making it in their Lemongrass Lime scent -- I have the Dr. B's shaving soap in that scent and it's yummy. And they only use essential oils so I don't have to worry as much about sensitivity (I broke out in hives in October from a fragrance oil). There's also a thread about it somewhere.... aha, here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21203&highlight=bronner*+shikakai+rinse) it is.

Hope it works out for you!

Henna Sooq
December 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks bunches!!

Locksmith
December 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Well, I've decided to give shampoo bars a go :) I was tempted by CV, but the cost of shipping to the UK put me off. :( I found a place in Yorkshire called Oakwood Aromatics that makes them, so I've ordered a couple to try out. At &#163;3 each it seemed criminal not to try them - if my hair hates them I can always use them as soap! :D Can't wait for them to arrive!

dajanchen
December 3rd, 2009, 03:34 AM
I´m using shampoo bars the last half year ago. Actually I´m switching between 9 different soaps. :D It really works for me, I have no need to use a normal shampoo anymore. But I have to do an acid rinse with destilled water, unfortunately our water is very hard and I don´t want to look like a candle...:rolleyes: I´m buying on a little german soap manufacturer, she makes wonderful stuff.

kayes
December 3rd, 2009, 04:36 AM
I was tempted by CV, but the cost of shipping to the UK put me off.

Good luck with those bars. Let me know if they are any good.:)

If they don't work out, most of the US companies offer priority flat rate envelopes, which are about 12-13 dollars (about 7 pounds) and you can get anywhere from 3 to 10 full size bars in an envelope (depending on which size the company offers, and the size of their bars). If that is what you meant when you said expensive shipping, SCH offers a cheaper shipping option. You can get one bar, or four samples and it will cost 6 dollars (about 3.50 GBP )for shipping to the UK, http://www.etsy.com/shop/sweetcreekherbs?section_id=5660540.

Liave Ekeli
December 3rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
Any Sweet Creek Herb fans here? I've just purchased three bars from SCH via Etsy as a "reward" for passing my exam (I had an oral exam today and I was beyond nervous). I didn't really need more shampoo bars (and with the collection I'm building it's unlikely that I ever will), but I've only tried CV bars until now, so I thought I might give another brand a shot. I've been privy to SCH for a while, but the shipping cost has put me off - but now it was reduced, probably because it's December, so that gave me another good reason to broaden my shampoo bar horizon...

Neoma
December 3rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Any Sweet Creek Herb fans here? I've just purchased three bars from SCH via Etsy as a "reward" for passing my exam (I had an oral exam today and I was beyond nervous). I didn't really need more shampoo bars (and with the collection I'm building it's unlikely that I ever will), but I've only tried CV bars until now, so I thought I might give another brand a shot. I've been privy to SCH for a while, but the shipping cost has put me off - but now it was reduced, probably because it's December, so that gave me another good reason to broaden my shampoo bar horizon...I am a big SCH fan. My favorite is the peppermint shampoo bar. I am thinking about placing another order soon (maybe today) so I don't run out.

I find that with Kathleen's bars one lather is often enough and I don't need to use an acid rinse. Sometimes, I will use a conditioner -- I have long, baby fine hair that tangles easily.

Kathleen is a lovely person and she provides excellent customer service.

Please keep us posted on how you like the bars.

As an aside, she makes a salt-based soap (body) bar that is divine!

Liave Ekeli
December 3rd, 2009, 04:03 PM
I am a big SCH fan. My favorite is the peppermint shampoo bar. I am thinking about placing another order soon (maybe today) so I don't run out.

I find that with Kathleen's bars one lather is often enough and I don't need to use an acid rinse. Sometimes, I will use a conditioner -- I have long, baby fine hair that tangles easily.

Kathleen is a lovely person and she provides excellent customer service.

Please keep us posted on how you like the bars.

As an aside, she makes a salt-based soap (body) bar that is divine!

That's good to know. I usually have to lather twice with the CV bars, but I don't always use an acid rinse, though I always condition.
I ordered the Eucalyptus, Eucalyptus/Lime and Rosemary/Honey ones - all apparently good for oily hair, so I'm excited to try them.

I'll keep the salt based body soap in mind if/when I decide to order again :D

kayes
December 5th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Any Sweet Creek Herb fans here?
I bought the unscented marshmallow root bar. I really like it. I've found it is more like the PLH bars I've tried, I don't need to lather more than once or use a rinse. When I tried that with CV... bad results. Not to say I don't like CV, I do, I just have to treat them differently.

I didn't really need more shampoo bars (and with the collection I'm building it's unlikely that I ever will),

I am so with you :). I can't help but want to try new ones to see how they compare. As it is I change bars more or less every time I shampoo. I've got a pile of ones I like and ones I didn't like, but I won't even get rid of the ones that consistently gave me bad results, because I'm planning to move out of the country in a few months, and who knows which ones my hair will like in a new type of water, if any. A whole new round of experimentation :p

Liave Ekeli
December 5th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I bought the unscented marshmallow root bar. I really like it. I've found it is more like the PLH bars I've tried, I don't need to lather more than once or use a rinse. When I tried that with CV... bad results. Not to say I don't like CV, I do, I just have to treat them differently.

I haven't tried the PLH bars yet (maybe the next time I go bar-shopping). I'm prepared that I'll have to adjust my routine when I try the SCH bars, but by the accounts I've had so far it seems I'll need to adjust to less hassle, which is always a good thing. Having to lather up just once would be nice, and take less time, so maybe the SCH bars will be what I use when I'm in a hurry...I'll just have to wait and see. I'm exicted :)

I am so with you :). I can't help but want to try new ones to see how they compare. As it is I change bars more or less every time I shampoo. I've got a pile of ones I like and ones I didn't like, but I won't even get rid of the ones that consistently gave me bad results, because I'm planning to move out of the country in a few months, and who knows which ones my hair will like in a new type of water, if any. A whole new round of experimentation :p

I think I've tried most of CV's bars at least once, but I have found two or three favourites that I use more than the rest. One or two, which I found to be much too moisturizing for my hair have been used as shaving/body soap (which has worked great). I still have a lot of "in between" bars, which I neither particularly like nor dislike, so they're sort of in limbo at the moment.

inty
December 6th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I will keep trying my other bars with this method and see what happens. Next comes Citrus and Chamomille - will report in a week.

So, finally had time to report. Citrus and Chamomille didn't make me that happy. All was well except very tangly ends! Method was the same, so I blame the bar itself...
And I had quite some shed, if I recall well. Also, my hair felt dryer than with Summer Sunshine, so I think I will have to swap Citrus & Chamomille and Summer Sunshine on my personal moisture/cleansing scale :)

I am testing out sulfate-free shampoo at the moment, and when I will try the bar again, next will be Nettle.

katana
December 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Are the SCH soaps consistently offered? I bought two shampoo bars from : http://www.etsy.com/shop/LathersbyLinds but she doesn't currently have any poo bars listed and I don't think she consistently makes the same soap over and over - so even though this bar of hers works quite well (only lather once, don't always use a vinegar wash, put conditioner on afterward) and it'll take me *months* to get through the two that I got, I'm thinking about trying out bars from somewhere else that I could actually buy again when shampoo bars are done (and SCH has a sampler offering, which is tempting). I was thinking of CV, but I figured with the cost, and how much soap I have, I'd wait until I was at least on the second bar before buying.

Velouria
December 6th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Yes, SCH consistently offers shampoo bars, and the same ones, although a new one also appears from time to time. I'd say she's more consistent than CV, because so many of their bars are always sold out, or unavailable because they're curing.

katana
December 6th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Yes, SCH consistently offers shampoo bars, and the same ones, although a new one also appears from time to time. I'd say she's more consistent than CV, because so many of their bars are always sold out, or unavailable because they're curing.

ah! Thank you. I think I shall wander over to etsy, now that I'm enabled... :bluebiggr

Locksmith
December 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Hmm. Well, I tried out the Oakwood Aromatics Beer & Geranium bar today, then ACV rinse, with Lush veganese conditioner to follow. It made my hair feel really weird and yucky when I rinsed off the lather - sort of waxy? The ACV rinse made it feel better, but I've noticed I didn't get the fantastic shine I did when I used Veganese after an SLS shampoo. Maybe it's dry? :confused:

Hair still feels heavier and a lot less slippery and smooth than it usually does after washing. Not sure I like it. On the plus side my scalp isn't flaky or itchy. I'll give it more of a decent trial though before I try the other bar I got from them :)

http://www.oakwood-aromatics.com/shampoo.html

Pictures:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4454&pictureid=57281

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4454&pictureid=57282

kayes
December 11th, 2009, 11:45 AM
It made my hair feel really weird and yucky when I rinsed off the lather - sort of waxy? The ACV rinse made it feel better, but I've noticed I didn't get the fantastic shine I did when I used Veganese after an SLS shampoo. Maybe it's dry?

Is it the first time you've tried poo bars? I didn't have too much of a transition, but from what I understand its pretty normal.

I find poo bars don't give me the same slippery feel as normal shampoo and conditioner. I suspect it has to do with the cuticle not lying flat, but I think that is why I get so much more volume with poo bars. It also make my hair tangle more easily... although I don't use conditioner with poo bars, which could be part of the problem. My hair is super shiny though.

The other thing is, I find (and I think a lot of other people do too) that my hair feels different the day after I wash, maybe the cuticle goes down after sleeping with your head on a pillow. But it depends on the bar. I have some bars that are better for when I want nice hair that day (tend to be the more moisturising ones, leave my hair smoother, but I need to wash my hair again sooner), and some I use when I have to be up really early the next day and want to wash my hair the day before (leaves it a little dry the day I wash, but really nice the next day).

If its your first try with poo bars, it could be the transition, but there is also the possibility its the bar. I've never tried that brand, so I can't comment on it. I can say there are a lot of bars my hair doesn't like, and this could be one of those for you. :)

myotislucifugus
December 12th, 2009, 01:05 PM
So, I noticed a bunch of you were interested in the Ayurvedic CV bar coming out in October... and it's December... I tried it. I love it! It is unexpectedly my favorite. The lather is rich, and it rinses out well. It leaves my hair silky, bouncy, shiny, and full. It's like everything a shampoo commercial promises. My next length shot will show a full wash with it, and should be able to post it soon. (I'll be getting internet at home soon! Yay!)

Anyone else have this experience? I tried it on a whim, but I love it. Serendipity!

Liave Ekeli
December 12th, 2009, 03:39 PM
So, I noticed a bunch of you were interested in the Ayurvedic CV bar coming out in October... and it's December... I tried it. I love it! It is unexpectedly my favorite. The lather is rich, and it rinses out well. It leaves my hair silky, bouncy, shiny, and full. It's like everything a shampoo commercial promises. My next length shot will show a full wash with it, and should be able to post it soon. (I'll be getting internet at home soon! Yay!)

Anyone else have this experience? I tried it on a whim, but I love it. Serendipity!

I do. I tried it because it was new and one of the few CV bars I hadn't tried, and it's definitely my current favourite, together with Mud&Clay.

Now I'm waiting on an order of SCH bars, so I can see how they measure up :)

Kalyca
December 13th, 2009, 02:21 AM
so how does this work for people that have hard water? do you buy filtered water from the store, and would that even make a difference? i wanna try shampoo bars but there's a lot of mineral deposits in my water.. a water softener isn't an option

florenonite
December 13th, 2009, 02:26 AM
so how does this work for people that have hard water? do you buy filtered water from the store, and would that even make a difference? i wanna try shampoo bars but there's a lot of mineral deposits in my water.. a water softener isn't an option

Some people use an ACV rinse in hard water to help counteract the effects of the water. I've got hard water at home and I don't bother with an acid rinse, FWIW.

ljkforu
December 13th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I found a new site that has an awesome variety of shampoo bars. I can't wait to try a bunch.

www.lavidadulcebeauty.com

HildeMV
December 13th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I just got a shampoo bar from lush, and I'm really like it. It's the green one. I was afraid it wouldn't clean the hair as well, but it does! :)

Aries_jb
December 13th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Did any see that Ida has now come out with organic soap and shampoo bars?!! I saw it last night, and now believe that Ida is purposely trying to make me spend more money!

Still, I can't wait to try them...:)

Kalyca
December 13th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Some people use an ACV rinse in hard water to help counteract the effects of the water. I've got hard water at home and I don't bother with an acid rinse, FWIW.
oh that's right. i forgot about acv..i've only used it a couple of times but my hair didn't like it when i did. maybe i didn't rinse it out enough though..

florenonite
December 14th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I'm not sure I'm a fan of the Rosemary Lavender bar from CV; it doesn't seem to clean as well as the Chamomile Citrus. Has anyone else had this issue?

Liave Ekeli
December 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I'm not sure I'm a fan of the Rosemary Lavender bar from CV; it doesn't seem to clean as well as the Chamomile Citrus. Has anyone else had this issue?

I can't say I've experienced that - or at least I haven't noticed, but the Rosemary Lavender isn't one of my favourite CV bars. It's been a while since I tried it, but as I remember it didn't really do anything for my hair, compared to some of the other CV bars.

kittensoupnrice
December 15th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Hello all,
I was wondering if anybody could recommend a place that sells shampoo bars that has nothing to do with nut oils? I'm very allergic to most tree nuts, and I'm worried about buying from a place that might accidentally do nut oil cross-contamination. I'm also allergic to some tropical fruits, so I have to be careful about tropical fruit extracts or butters.

Any ideas?
Thanks a bunch!

Madame J
December 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Hello all,
I was wondering if anybody could recommend a place that sells shampoo bars that has nothing to do with nut oils? I'm very allergic to most tree nuts, and I'm worried about buying from a place that might accidentally do nut oil cross-contamination. I'm also allergic to some tropical fruits, so I have to be careful about tropical fruit extracts or butters.

Any ideas?
Thanks a bunch!

It seems like a lot of places are going to use coconut oil in at least some of their soaps, so unless you have a personal relationship with a soapmaker, I wouldn't suggest buying from most of the sites listed here. Perhaps if you struck up a conversation with one of the Etsy sellers, or Ida from Chagrin Valley, you might get one of them to make you a special, hypoallergenic soap, during the processing of which they were careful not to cross-contaminate, but you'd probably have to buy the entire batch, which would be a lot.

But I hope you can find a better answer than that...

kittensoupnrice
December 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM
It seems like a lot of places are going to use coconut oil in at least some of their soaps, so unless you have a personal relationship with a soapmaker, I wouldn't suggest buying from most of the sites listed here. Perhaps if you struck up a conversation with one of the Etsy sellers, or Ida from Chagrin Valley, you might get one of them to make you a special, hypoallergenic soap, during the processing of which they were careful not to cross-contaminate, but you'd probably have to buy the entire batch, which would be a lot.

But I hope you can find a better answer than that...
I'm sorry, when I said tree nuts I mean like, walnuts, almonds, cashews, pistacchios. Stuff like that.
I don't think coconuts are really in the same sort of family, but admittedly, I do not eat much coconut.

I also haven't shown any reaction to shea butter or cocoa butter, or really any of the vegetable oils.

Madame J
December 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I'm sorry, when I said tree nuts I mean like, walnuts, almonds, cashews, pistacchios. Stuff like that.
I don't think coconuts are really in the same sort of family, but admittedly, I do not eat much coconut.

I also haven't shown any reaction to shea butter or cocoa butter, or really any of the vegetable oils.

I figured coconuts were "tropical fruits." If you're fine with coconut oil, you might cruise the ingredients of bars on the websites of various soapmakers that have been mentioned in this thread. There are few bars that I know of that use nut oils in their bars.

Locksmith
December 16th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Is it the first time you've tried poo bars? I didn't have too much of a transition, but from what I understand its pretty normal.

I think it is partly the transition, yes - I'm going to give it a fortnight :) I tried CWCing my length yesterday, and using a stronger ACV rinse, and it made a real difference! My scalp hair still feels a little weird, but my length is really soft and silky! :D So I shall continue the experiment.

myotislucifugus
December 16th, 2009, 08:44 AM

CV has one with walnut oil, but other than that they list their oils, and are mostly nut free. I had to pay attention when I was living with my sister, because she also has topical reactions. There were never any issues with cross contamination with her, although, I suppose that could be luck, which can go either way.

kittensoupnrice
December 16th, 2009, 02:28 PM
CV has one with walnut oil, but other than that they list their oils, and are mostly nut free. I had to pay attention when I was living with my sister, because she also has topical reactions. There were never any issues with cross contamination with her, although, I suppose that could be luck, which can go either way.
Yeah, I'm really appreciative that CV lists all of their ingredients. I looked at C.O.P.A and the Prairie Land Herbs, and I couldn't find complete ingredient lists anywhere. I'm just really worried about the cross contamination because I've gotten allergic reactions to foods that were processed in the same facilities that handle tree nuts or tropical fruit. Maybe I can order a few and do a skin test.

Has anybody tried the shampoo bars at hennasooq.com? I looked throughout the entire website, and didn't see any nut or fruit oils/butters listed for sale anywhere, so that might be a safe option.

florenonite
December 16th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I'm really appreciative that CV lists all of their ingredients. I looked at C.O.P.A and the Prairie Land Herbs, and I couldn't find complete ingredient lists anywhere. I'm just really worried about the cross contamination because I've gotten allergic reactions to foods that were processed in the same facilities that handle tree nuts or tropical fruit. Maybe I can order a few and do a skin test.

Has anybody tried the shampoo bars at hennasooq.com? I looked throughout the entire website, and didn't see any nut or fruit oils/butters listed for sale anywhere, so that might be a safe option.

You could contact Ida from CV about your concerns and see if she has any that she knows aren't contaminated.

Henna Sooq
December 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Not sure if I'm allowed to answer but I was asked about this via PM. I'll wait for a mod to say if it's okay to address nut allergies regarding shampoo bars. I think it's important as nut allergies can be fatal.

Liave Ekeli
December 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM
So, I had my first experience with the Sweet Creek Herb bars today, and overall it was a very good one. As opposed to with the CV bars I only had to lather once (With CV I have to lather twice for a really good effect), and I had the same clean sensation on my scalp as I had the first time I tried CV. When I combed my hair later, I found that it was soft, and it had body, but it was still manageable, and I could put it in a pony tail without lots of flyaways.

Difficult to say from one wash, but it's very much possible that I'll be a SCH convert :D

Madame J
December 19th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I'm still tempted to try a SCH bar. Maybe after I recover from the holidays...

I've fallen off the shampoo bar bandwagon, and have mostly been using my organic-store SLS-free shampoo and conditioner again. I'm just feeling too indifferent about my hair to bother with mixing a rinse and lathering twice (lazy, I know).

katana
December 20th, 2009, 12:56 PM
SCH - I really like the one I tried (with bergamot). I've started experimenting with putting coconut oil in my hair prior to washing, which really seems to help the dry feeling of my hair in winter, but may be affecting how long I can go between washes (so, not sure). But! With the SCH soap, the first time, I overdid it with the soap - had the 'waxies' I think - but that came out easily with a couple of splashes of dilute ACV rinse and some conditioner. Last two times, I just stropped it once over my scalp, much less than I thought I needed, and it seemed to clean very well! So. I'm a convert. Of course, SCH isn't going to know that because at the rate I'm using the soap, and the fact that I have at least a bar and a half an OLDER shampoo bar, it might be a year before I need more poo bars... (I got the 10 sample bar, and asked for all shampoo bars - which I got! along with an extra sample. :) )

Lady Danger
December 20th, 2009, 05:51 PM
So here's something I'm noticing with the shampoo bars, and it has me torn. I've been experimenting with different CV bars for the past month. Some make my hair look fantastic, some don't. The ones that do make my hair look much thicker than its norm. (Even the "bad" ones seem to.) However, they all seem to make my hair color look, for lack of a better word, "dull". I switched back to my non-sulfate organic shampoo yesterday, and immediately, my hair looks vibrantly red again. But, now it lacks the awesome fullness that the 'poo bars gave it. Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else? (And yes, even with an ACV rinse, it still didn't look as vibrant.)

Longlocks3
December 20th, 2009, 06:57 PM
So here's something I'm noticing with the shampoo bars, and it has me torn. I've been experimenting with different CV bars for the past month. Some make my hair look fantastic, some don't. The ones that do make my hair look much thicker than its norm. (Even the "bad" ones seem to.) However, they all seem to make my hair color look, for lack of a better word, "dull". I switched back to my non-sulfate organic shampoo yesterday, and immediately, my hair looks vibrantly red again. But, now it lacks the awesome fullness that the 'poo bars gave it. Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else? (And yes, even with an ACV rinse, it still didn't look as vibrant.)

Does your organic shampoo contain cones? Cones may give hair a shine and vibrancy that poo bars don't.

If you want the best of both worlds you might want to consider washing with poo bars and using a coney product to style.

But I still love my poo bars.

Lady Danger
December 21st, 2009, 12:12 AM
Does your organic shampoo contain cones? Cones may give hair a shine and vibrancy that poo bars don't.

If you want the best of both worlds you might want to consider washing with poo bars and using a coney product to style.

But I still love my poo bars.

The organic shampoo doesn't, actually! I haven't used cones in years - makes my hair look awful. I don't know what I might be doing that's making the hair not look as vibrant. Do you (or anyone) think it's ok to alternate use of poo bars and the organic shampoo? I really love the way the CV bar (Citrus and Chamomile, for example) makes my hair feel.

manderly
December 21st, 2009, 03:47 AM
The organic shampoo doesn't, actually! I haven't used cones in years - makes my hair look awful. I don't know what I might be doing that's making the hair not look as vibrant. Do you (or anyone) think it's ok to alternate use of poo bars and the organic shampoo? I really love the way the CV bar (Citrus and Chamomile, for example) makes my hair feel.

Do you follow with a vinegar rinse? Pehaps it's some soap scum/buildup that is causing the dullness?

Lady Danger
December 21st, 2009, 05:59 AM
Do you follow with a vinegar rinse? Pehaps it's some soap scum/buildup that is causing the dullness?

Yes, I do. :(

Madame J
December 21st, 2009, 07:44 AM
Have you tried other brands of bars? Perhaps another soapmaker has a formula that will give you fullness without dullness of color. A lot of people who have a complaint about CV bars really like SCH bars.

Lady Danger
December 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM
Have you tried other brands of bars? Perhaps another soapmaker has a formula that will give you fullness without dullness of color. A lot of people who have a complaint about CV bars really like SCH bars.
Good thinking - I'll check the SCH bars out. Thanks!

ETA: Just purchased a sample pack of SCH poo bars. Can't wait to try them!

Madame J
December 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM
Good thinking - I'll check the SCH bars out. Thanks!

ETA: Just purchased a sample pack of SCH poo bars. Can't wait to try them!

Wow. I totally swear I don't work for SCH (although maybe I should get a cut :hmm:)

...I haven't even purchased any bars from her yet. Let us know how they work!

Liss
December 21st, 2009, 01:50 PM
Being new here, there's so many things that I read about and think of trying. Admittedly I'm still seeing some techniques as a bit bizarre, but they seem to work for certain people.

Easing myself into a more respectful and less chemical approach to my haircare, this thread has answered all of my initial questions about poo-bars. *thanks all*

So, you have all convinced me to take my first step into switching from traditional shampoos, and who knows where my curiosity and quest for long gorgeous tresses will take me!

cleanbug
December 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM
SCH - I really like the one I tried (with bergamot).
what's "sch"? probably a company who makes shampoo bars but didn't feel like scrolling through the 367 pages in this forum :)

Henna Sooq
December 21st, 2009, 03:19 PM
Sweet Creek Herbal is SCH :)

katana
December 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
what's "sch"? probably a company who makes shampoo bars but didn't feel like scrolling through the 367 pages in this forum :)

Sweet Creek Herbal is SCH :)

Yes, thank you!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/sweetcreekherbs is where I bought my samples.

cleanbug
December 22nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
So far the only shampoo/soap bar that I found does not leave that waxy feeling after I rinse is the Grapeseed and shea bar. I use conditioner after all my bars and have no problems after rinsing the conditioner out with the "waxy" feel, but the grapeseed one is the only one so far that I don't get the waxies with. I will definitely be ordering a full size bar of the grapeseed one in the future. :)
is the grapeseed a cv bar?
thanks

cleanbug
December 22nd, 2009, 06:34 AM
The Neem and Tea Tree is great on scalp issues!

is this a cv bar?
thanks

Silver & Gold
December 22nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
is the grapeseed a cv bar?
thanks

is this a cv bar?
thanks

Yes, these are both CV bars. The Grapeseed/Shea is in the body soap section and the Neem/Tea Tree are in the shampoo bar section.

Liave Ekeli
December 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
I'm still tempted to try a SCH bar. Maybe after I recover from the holidays...

I've fallen off the shampoo bar bandwagon, and have mostly been using my organic-store SLS-free shampoo and conditioner again. I'm just feeling too indifferent about my hair to bother with mixing a rinse and lathering twice (lazy, I know).

Switching things around a bit isn't necessarily a bad thing (even if it stems from laziness). I've been alternating my bars with my 'regular' Aussie shampoo for a while now, and I think my hair likes the fact that I swap them around.

The SCH bars are worth a try though, at least I'm glad I decided to try them. I've been using the Eucalyptus one, and it's definitely my current favourite. I only have to lather once, which is good, because I'm prone to laziness, and I don't have to use a rinse. I condition occasionally, but my hair doesn't feel as dependent on it with SCH as opposed to with CV.
(I'm still a frequent user of CVs body soaps though)

Lady Danger
December 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
The SCH bars are worth a try though, at least I'm glad I decided to try them. I've been using the Eucalyptus one, and it's definitely my current favourite. I only have to lather once, which is good, because I'm prone to laziness, and I don't have to use a rinse. I condition occasionally, but my hair doesn't feel as dependent on it with SCH as opposed to with CV.
(I'm still a frequent user of CVs body soaps though)

Ooh, the Eucalyptus is one of the ones I ordered! Yipee! All the things you describe above sound great. Can't wait to try!

florenonite
December 22nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
Has anyone tried soap bars from Thistle Soap Company (http://www.thistlesoaps.co.uk/index.html) on their hair? I'm interested in buying from somewhere closer to home than CV because, while I like the CV bars, it can't be environmentally-friendly to ship them all the way from the US, and it costs a lot in shipping, too. A lot of British sites that sell shampoo bars only have two or three options (and all for different hairtypes), and my hair likes it when I switch between different shampoos. These bars are designed for the body, but I don't see why they couldn't be used on the hair, as the ingredients are similar to those in many shampoo bars.

I've got loads of CV samples left, but when I use them up I might try out these bars.

ETA: Alternatively, has anyone with a reasonably oily scalp succeeded in using regular soap bars rather than shampoo bars on their hair? Cheers.

Liave Ekeli
December 22nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
Ooh, the Eucalyptus is one of the ones I ordered! Yipee! All the things you describe above sound great. Can't wait to try!

Hope it works as well for you as it has done for me :)
I've tried the Eucalyptus/Lime (also from SCH) too, but didn't get quite the same results with that, but I only tried it once, so...

cleanbug
December 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Has anyone tried Henna Sooq's Cocoveda or Argan Oil shampoo bars? What did you think?:)
I'm curious about this too. I order my henna from henna sooq & was thrilled to see that they now carry shampoo bars. anyone tried them yet? i am going to order one when i am out of henna & am placing an order anyway.

Liss
December 23rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
I've just spent the past couple of days searching for any shop that sells shampoo bars after discovering the soap shop has closed down. So far no luck and I even had to explain what it was to more than half of the herbal and organic shops I went into.

As my quest continues I did manage to find an interesting Danish shapoo (urtekram) with only 5 ingredients, all natural and organic, but I guess the results will be for another thread.

Neoma
December 24th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I've been CO'ing for a while with very good success. I am, however, sick of all the bottles; I go through a lot of conditioner really quickly.

I'm thinking about going back to shampoo bars again. They are far more environmentally friendly and natural than the conditioners that I've been using.

Wish me luck.

Moonstruck
December 24th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Haven't been around here in a little bit, but just wanted to report continued success with the shampoo bars (my hair and scalp especially so far have been miserable when I use normal SLS 'poos now). CO-ing still doesnt work for me, as my hair's just a greaseball most days, and I'd love to try a SLS free 'poo but just haven't gotten around to it.

But yes, florenonite, I regularly use soap bars instead of shampoo bars for haircare. CV bars, though I love them and they left my hair so soft/wonderfully manageable, were extremely heavy on me probably because of their high moisturizing/superfatting level. You could always ask around with the soapmakers around you - I look for a soap bar that lathers well (castor oil in shampoo bars does this, higher coconut oil levels will also help here but are considered more drying. Also, ask about superfatting levels. I'm not sure what Ida of CV superfats her soaps/poos to, but try different soaps superfatted to different percentages and see what your hair likes best. Too little oil makes my hair super-fussy, but too much ends up making me wash it everyday, for instance.
Determine some botanicals/constants that you want to keep, too. I found that my hair really likes a bit of clay - seems to reduce oil and itch for me. Shea seems to not make anything too oily, but moisturizes well. Coconut milk is also soothing and moisturizing to me without being heavy. So, this soap (http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=20136338) is working pretty nicely for me right now.
Hope that helps in the switch from looking for shampoo to soap bars!

Liss- where are you from? Maybe someone can suggest a few places? If not, hopefully what I just outlined for Florenonite might help you find some suitable soap bars for your hair.

Oh, but I do have to say SCH shampoo bars are still my favorite. ^^" I'm exploring my boundaries a little for now though.

Fractalsofhair
December 25th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Liss-If you can find a lye soao(natural soap), you can use those as shampoo bars. They can be a little more drying(or in the case of Chagrin Valley, too moisturizing), but they're worth a start!

Flutterbee
December 25th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Rejoining the shampoo bar club. I'm currently searching for a new bar, my trusty olive babassu from cv isn't working for me anymore, nor are any of the samples I ordered from there recently :( We moved a few months ago and I think the water is softer here. My hair feels coated and gummy no matter what I do-I've tried lathering once, twice, three times even; white vinegar, acv, organic and not; citric acid. I'm so bummed! So I just put in orders at PLH and SCH (after perusing this thread, you enablers ;) ) and I'm hoping to find something that works here. I've been using the Suave my dh uses and my scalp broke out horribly. Sigh.

Liss
December 26th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm in south Spain, so I don't have a lot of the US and UK shops available that people mention here (bank has restricted my online shopping exploits for the moment).

I will take a look around for the lye soap that was mentioned, but my choices here are rather limited... but there's no shortage of regular olive oil soaps, if anyone has tried that and has some advice!

Nae
December 26th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Okay, I just wanted to post this here because I knew you guys would appreciate it. My mother got me a huge box of CV samples for Christmas!:cheese::D Since changing over from regular shampoo to bars I have so far tried only two, Cafe Moreno and Herb Garden and have been loving them. I told her about them and she got me like 6 others!! Squeee!!!! Not only that, she bought herself one and was asking me how to use it, we had a great time talking poo bars yesterday. My sisters-in-law may think I am slightly crazy (although they thought the bars smelled good) but at least my mom gets it. Of course she used to make her own soap so she is digging this.:cheer:

Can't wait to try them all, I will have to look again to see what she got me, I can't remember them all because there are SO many. My mom rocks!

LaCitoyenne
December 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I had ordered a sample of CV's whipped shea (for my skin) and liked it. So I re-ordered, and threw in some samples of shampoo bars while I was at it.

I've only tried the Chamomile & Citrus shampoo bar so far (3 times), but I really like it. It leaves my hair moisturized, voluminous and wavier than usual. Very soft to the touch, too!

Maybe at some point shampoo bars won't work for me, but I'll deal with that when the time comes. Perhaps I'll have to clarify, who knows. I'm sure I'll be able to come back to them, though.

I have hard, chlorinated water, and one trick I've learned is to saturate my hair first with distilled water (generally with a bit of lemon juice added). That's what I do when I wash with my shampoo bar. I get some decent lather this way, and scrubbing my scalp is effortless. Then I rinse well under shower water. After that, I rinse with a weak vinegar solution (distilled water again). I rinse THAT off quickly under the showerhead, say 5 seconds.

I recently had a haircut and that might be giving me better-than-usual results. I just know that I can now get away with "wash-and-go" - no combing!! The curls settle nicely into place.

I've learned from experience not to expect this state of affairs to last forever, but right now I'm content.

Liave Ekeli
December 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Maybe at some point shampoo bars won't work for me, but I'll deal with that when the time comes. Perhaps I'll have to clarify, who knows. I'm sure I'll be able to come back to them, though.

If the CV shampoo bars stop working for you at some point you could always try another brand. Or, like you said, try something else and then come back :)

florenonite
December 27th, 2009, 05:10 AM
But yes, florenonite, I regularly use soap bars instead of shampoo bars for haircare. CV bars, though I love them and they left my hair so soft/wonderfully manageable, were extremely heavy on me probably because of their high moisturizing/superfatting level. You could always ask around with the soapmakers around you - I look for a soap bar that lathers well (castor oil in shampoo bars does this, higher coconut oil levels will also help here but are considered more drying. Also, ask about superfatting levels. I'm not sure what Ida of CV superfats her soaps/poos to, but try different soaps superfatted to different percentages and see what your hair likes best. Too little oil makes my hair super-fussy, but too much ends up making me wash it everyday, for instance.
Determine some botanicals/constants that you want to keep, too. I found that my hair really likes a bit of clay - seems to reduce oil and itch for me. Shea seems to not make anything too oily, but moisturizes well. Coconut milk is also soothing and moisturizing to me without being heavy. So, this soap (http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=20136338) is working pretty nicely for me right now.
Hope that helps in the switch from looking for shampoo to soap bars!

Thanks for the info! I think my hair likes citrussy things, and the Thistle Soap Company does quite a few citrus ones. I think when I'm finished with my CV samples I'll send them an email asking about their lathering and superfatting.

LaCitoyenne
December 27th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Thanks, Liave Ekeli. Shampoo bars are certainly a great concept!

Liave Ekeli
December 27th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Definitely. I'm hooked. And you're welcome :)

Tinwe
December 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hi! I'm new here, both in community and this huge shampoo bar topic. Actually this topic is how I found this Long Hair Community, while searching information about shampoo bars in internet. Very interesting and great information!

Now I am shampoo bar addict (always finding an excuse to order some more shampoo bars, samples, soaps, hair herbs, oils or just about anything nice...). Well, good for me as I also started believing I can grow long hair again - my hair was limp and thin and shedding like no-one's shed before after my three pregnancies and breastfeedings... I had pixie cut for couple of years but now I feel my hair is strong and nice. Growing!

I mostly use CV bars. I've tried many of the shampoo bars, the ones I like most are: Chamomille & Citrus (hair gets greasy slower), Herb Garden (nice shine and body) and Babassu & Marsh mallow (moisturizing, sometimes hair just needs that and this gives nice volume and softness). I'm waiting now for my next order to arrive - I bought Ayurvedic shampoo bar, just can't wait to try it!

I also like The Bare Naked Soap Company's shampoo bar, that's a company in UK. Very nice service, small company (mom and daughter) and quick shipping at least inside Europe. Well, I used to have their shampoo bar, now my daughter (9 years old) claims it's hers - she also uses shampoo bars and likes that one especially. Other one good for her is plain simple CV Coconut shampoo bar.

I usually use ACV rinse with shampoo bars, I've made herb vinegar with acv & essential oils, mix that with water when washing my hair. I find that my hair gets greasy sooner without rinses.

Other than soaps, I use shikakai (Indian herb) and soapnuts (both separate and together) washing my hair. I use them between shampoo bar washes, when my hair is looking a bit greasy and I just have to do something, but want a quick solution without shampooing. At least at the moment - now that I found shampoo bars and herbs and oils and all I just want to experiment all the time. And buy new stuff to test. Maybe I could ask my neighbour if the companies could start shipping to her address and I'll go get my stuff when my dear husband doesn't notice?

Not that he cares - he says GO shampoo bars GO, as he'd like me to grow back my long hair and knows now I think I can... :D I've brainwashed him? Good...

At the moment I am reading through this topic. I'm planning to read it all, no matter how long it takes. It's so interesting! I'm now on page 150, so long way to go. Especially as English isn't my first language, but I'll do it! Maybe when I get through my hair will reach my shoulders? ;)

LaCitoyenne
December 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Welcome to TLC, Timwe! It sounds like you have lots to teach US.

I haven't known anyone yet refer to the CV coconut (milk) shampoo bar, unless I missed that. Maybe because it's a newer product? I tried it this morning. It's rather more moisturizing than the Chamomile & Citrus bar, and complements it nicely.

I'm VERY grateful to my education system that taught me to read. Even so, and even though English IS my mother tongue, 185 pages is a LOT to wade through! I don't have the time right now, so I browse every dozen or so pages. Fascinating stuff.

LaCitoyenne
December 27th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Oops, sorry, Tinwe. I just realized I mispelled your username.

Gvnagitlvgei
December 27th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I've used plain black soap from Ghana and it's not bad. Compared to Shikakai bars, it's ranks just about the same for cleansing. I'm beginning to hate shampoos because of them and am going to try one of these herbal soaps mentioned here. Thanks for the info.

Moonstruck
December 28th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Tinwe, good for you. =) I remember reading through to somewhere around pg210 or so, before I think I jumped in on the conversation a little bit? I love watching how the conversation changed - I feel like the same couple of issues ebb and flow. It's a very cyclical process, in some ways.

I've been having a bit of an issue with the poo bars again - it's only at home though, so I think it's the water. I think my acid rinse might not be strong enough (I use the same ratio for both college and here, and it's pretty evident by how un-silky my hair is that its quite unhappy with the leftover residue).
I'm just curious though - when I put the ACV into my water here, the water suddenly smells quite metallic. Can anyone explain to me why? I suppose I could ask my dad (he's an organic chemist) but he probably wouldn't get why I don't just use normal shampoo and get tripped up on that first, haha.

ljkforu
December 28th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I've used plain black soap from Ghana and it's not bad. Compared to Shikakai bars, it's ranks just about the same for cleansing. I'm beginning to hate shampoos because of them and am going to try one of these herbal soaps mentioned here. Thanks for the info.

I found a wonderful black soap at walgreen's that is blackened with plantain skins. I've used it for 6 months now on hair and body and I love it, it has a light pleasant smell.

Liave Ekeli
December 28th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I also like The Bare Naked Soap Company's shampoo bar, that's a company in UK. Very nice service, small company (mom and daughter) and quick shipping at least inside Europe.

Oh, Tinwe, your first post and you're already enabling ;) I'm always curious to try new products and I hadn't heard of TBNSC before, so I think I might have to place an order. Do you happen to know how much they charge for shipping? Took a brief look at their website, but couldn't find any shipping rates at first glance...

Tinwe
December 28th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I bought CV coconut shampoo bar for my daughter, because I thought it might be nice and gentle for 9 years old. Her hair gets oily and looks messy, but I think it's not good to wash kids hair with very strong products. Now she washes twice a week with either coconut shampoo bar or Bare Naked Soap Companys shampoo bar. Her hair looks nice and shiny and twice a week is good for her. She has stick straight hair like me, and our hair is very slippery, hard to do braids or anything... It's always slipping. So shampoo bars give both of us nice volume! I haven't tried coconut shampoo bar myself, but I ordered full size on my last order (waiting for that to arrive.... yay!). I'll try that then.

LaCitoyenne, no worries about writing my name - I do write it bit wrong myself too. Should be Tinwë but I'm too lazy to use ¨ . :D Yes, if someone suspects, that's "spark" or sometimes "star" in quenya, one Tolkien's elvish language...

Tinwe
December 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Oh, Tinwe, your first post and you're already enabling ;) I'm always curious to try new products and I hadn't heard of TBNSC before, so I think I might have to place an order. Do you happen to know how much they charge for shipping? Took a brief look at their website, but couldn't find any shipping rates at first glance...
You're welcome. ;)

I ordered TBNSC's shampoo bar + Nae Mair Hair Shaving kit with shaving soap, enamelled tin mug and brush as a christmas gift for my husband. They charged 4 UK pounds for shipping, that was cheap shipping I think!

Let's see, ingredients of TBNSC's shampoo bar are:
olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, castor oil and neem oil in a chamomile infusion with lime, lemongrass and peppermint essential oils.

Just in case anyone's interested... this is just a revenge, you all enablers - all those shampoo bars I realized I just HAVE to buy and test, when I've been reading this topic... :D

Juli414
December 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks to this thread, well, the first 4 long pages of it, I broke down and ordered several samples from Chagrin Valley. I only ordered them last night, so it will be a couple of days before I get them. I also got samples of some of their body soaps.

I have one question, and this topic is WAY too long to read through: Are there brands/flavors that are conditioning, as well, or will I still need to use regular liquid conditioner?

Longlocks3
December 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks to this thread, well, the first 4 long pages of it, I broke down and ordered several samples from Chagrin Valley. I only ordered them last night, so it will be a couple of days before I get them. I also got samples of some of their body soaps.

I have one question, and this topic is WAY too long to read through: Are there brands/flavors that are conditioning, as well, or will I still need to use regular liquid conditioner?

According to CVs website and the advice of some members of this thread, regular soap can be the conditioner. So if you wanted, you could use a shampoo bar and a regular soap bar from CV on your hair. Poo bar for the scalp, soap bar for the length. I use regular liquid conditioner usually though.

Chromis
December 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM

CV and Bar None (Etsy) are my favourites and I don't use any conditioner, just an ACV/citric acid rinse. I do like the CV soaps as well, but do not find I need to use them in my hair since the shampoo bars leave my hair soft and shiny alone. I do always need to use an acid rinse though since I have *very* hard water, some of the hardest in Canada in fact.

Dolly
December 28th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I have used the coconut Milk bar from CV, and it is very nice.....I rotate between Olive Babassu, Coconut Milk, Babasu Marshmallow, and Cafe Moreno......depending on how much moisture I think my hair needs at the time....

LaCitoyenne
December 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM

Well, I'm not sure about conditioning - it depends on your definition - but CV has identified some shampoo bars they consider to be more moisturizing. Go to http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/hairrecommend.htm and then scroll down to "Dry Hair" for a list of recommendations.

I suppose that Chamomile & Citrus is my more "cleansing" bar while Coconut Milk is my more "moisturizing" bar.

cleanbug
December 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hi there, I was in the local Bulk Barn & saw that they carry SoapWorks soaps. I picked up the Shampoo & Conditioner bar as well as the Chamomille bar. The Chamomille is not specifically made for hair but thought I'd see how they work.
Have any of you tried anything from SoapWorks?
here's the link.
http://puresoapworks.com/pure_vegetableglycerine_testimonial.htm

Chromis
December 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Hi there, I was in the local Bulk Barn & saw that they carry SoapWorks soaps. I picked up the Shampoo & Conditioner bar as well as the Chamomille bar. The Chamomille is not specifically made for hair but thought I'd see how they work.
Have any of you tried anything from SoapWorks?
here's the link.
http://puresoapworks.com/pure_vegetableglycerine_testimonial.htm

I've tried them and was a bit meh. My beef was more with the smell than the way they cleaned though. My husband used the bars for a couple of months though with good results except that he kept getting greasy quickly, but he didn't want to use a rinse and has short hair that needs daily shampooing normally even with sulfates.

cleanbug
December 29th, 2009, 05:17 AM
What's the typical ratio of vinegar to water for rinses after shampoo bar washing? Do most of you leave the rinse in or rinse with water after. Also, do most of you still put conditioner on the length to protect it before washing the scalp?
Thanks

Chromis
December 29th, 2009, 05:33 AM
What's the typical ratio of vinegar to water for rinses after shampoo bar washing? Do most of you leave the rinse in or rinse with water after. Also, do most of you still put conditioner on the length to protect it before washing the scalp?
Thanks

I have very hard water, so I use one glug local organic apple cider vinegar and a pinch of citric acid in a two cup measure. The shampoo bars are much milder than most liquid shampoos, so the length does not need protecting, in fact I soap the length as well!

The only reason I have any conditioner at all is for hennaing. The bottle stays in the cupboard otherwise.

Madame J
December 29th, 2009, 05:33 AM
All those answers have been answered before in this thread. Have you tried searching just this thread for words like "rinse" and/or "conditioner"?

I don't mind repeating, even though I have lapsed. I either rinse with a 1:8 ration of ACV:water, or a mixture of Dr. Bronner's Citrus Conditioning Rinse and water (1 capful in a cup). If your hair looks greasy with the ACV rinse, try a more dilute rinse. If your hair feels waxy or crunchy, try stronger. I think most people use a 1:16 or 1:32 dilution, though.

cleanbug
December 29th, 2009, 05:37 AM
All those answers have been answered before in this thread. Have you tried searching just this thread for words like "rinse" and/or "conditioner"?

I don't mind repeating, even though I have lapsed. I either rinse with a 1:8 ration of ACV:water, or a mixture of Dr. Bronner's Citrus Conditioning Rinse and water (1 capful in a cup). If your hair looks greasy with the ACV rinse, try a more dilute rinse. If your hair feels waxy or crunchy, try stronger. I think most people use a 1:16 or 1:32 dilution, though.
sorry, with so many pages searching for it seemed daunting. i'll try the search engine next time.

Madame J
December 29th, 2009, 05:47 AM
sorry, with so many pages searching for it seemed daunting. i'll try the search engine next time.

No need to apologize -- just mentioning that you might get more data. If you go to the top of the thread frame and hit "Search this Thread," you get more focused hits that just using the "Search" button at the top frame of the Community.

LaCitoyenne
December 29th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks

My vinegar solution is fairly weak: about 1 tablespoon of vinegar to two cups of water, so a 1:32 ratio. I let the vinegar solution sit in my hair for half a minute or so, then wash it out for 5 seconds. But then I dunk my hair in distilled water, so you could say that I rinse out the vinegar entirely. I don't use conditioner at all. The bar I use (coconut milk) for my second lather is more moisturizing. I apply a tiny bit of coconut oil to my hair when it is mostly but not quite dry.

ljkforu
December 29th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Definately no need to apologize -- I think we did an old thread on just rinses. Everyone quoted theirs and then that was it. I have a strong preference for 1/8-1/4 tsp of vit c crystals in 20 oz of water -- in other words a good pinch in a plastic soda bottle. It also cleared up my back which shouldn't even be an issue in your mid-40's but it was.

Tinose
December 29th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I actually have no idea how dilute my vinegar rinse - I just eyeball it after I had one too many of my premeasured bottles accidentally tossed out. Probably about 1/12 of my bottle is ACV. Everyone experiments though.

nueinsel
December 29th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I use about 2 tbsp vinegar to a quart of water. I'm sure a lot of that goes straight down the drain, but I could never manage to saturate my hair with just a cup or two. I don't use conditioner either, and I also tend to rinse the rinse out pretty thoroughly with water.

LaBeq
December 29th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hmm. I've been rinsing with undiluted cider vinegar for quite a while. Maybe I ought to try making some adjustments to that.

Moonstruck
December 29th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I use roughly 1-2 capfuls of ACV in a regular 20 oz plastic water bottle, and then fill the rest up with water for my rinse.

However, this varies also depending on what bar I'm using (with SCH bars I don't need as much of a rinse) and my water (I need a stronger rinse at home than I do at college).

Latin Tea
December 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I am posting this on the 'mane' board too, but I specifically wanted to ask here on this thread. Maybe shampoo bars are my answer!

My main problem with my hair is my scalp. The hair is manageable, but my scalp has been a problem for at least 10 years now. It's almost embarrassing to write about, but I really want to fix this so I can concentrate on growing my hair.

I have this residue on my scalp. I saw a derm and he told me it was dandruff, but it seems stranger than that. I've NEVER run into anyone describing what I have on my scalp.

Okay, when I take my fingernail and (and this will sound gross!) scrape my scalp, I come away with what seems to be a thick, almost a soft cheesy (now that IS yucky) substance. I can take the whitish gunk and smoosh it between my fingers and it feels slightly oily, yet waxy....would this be sebum? I should have this figured out by now and that is why I went to the doctor, but still have no clue. I've seen dandruff on other people's heads and mine does not look like that. There is no obvious flaking seen on the scalp, but I feel it all the time. There's a dull itching going on.

I also have areas on my neck's hairline where my skin breaks out in reddish bumps, not many, just one or two, but it's like the shampoo is hurting my skin. They itch too and look nasty so forget buns on me. The only thing that helps is doing coal-tar shampoo once a week just in that area. Also, hydrocortisone will stop the itch for awhile.

I have used regular shampoo, clarifying shampoos, Head & Shoulders, and shampoo without sulfates all to no avail. They ALL eventually lead to irritation on my neckline and may be causing the other gunk on the rest of my head. :confused:

Will shampoo bars help me in any way with these two issues? I am about to order tea tree shampoo, but I distinctly remember that not helping either.

I shampoo 2xs a week with COing the lower area. I used to wash every other day (before coming here), but still had the same amount of residue. Maybe I should go WO? Any help with this would be appreciated.

LaCitoyenne
December 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Hi, Latin Tea. I'm thinking sebum or product buildup. Either way, I sympathize with your need to get rid of it! Come to think of it, I had a couple of itchy bumps at the base of my neck. I do know that since using shampoo bars (the coconut milk bar also on my face and neck), the bumps have disappeared. Also since using shampoo bars, the scalp itchiness that plagued me for some time has magically gone away. I think that shampoo bars can leave their own residue if you don't use the right ones or the right technique for you. CV bars are natural and seem to be on the whole fairly gentle. I'd say, go for it! Maybe order a few sample bars that would all fit inside one envelope, to minimize your shipping costs.

Latin Tea
December 30th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hi, Latin Tea. I'm thinking sebum or product buildup. Either way, I sympathize with your need to get rid of it! Come to think of it, I had a couple of itchy bumps at the base of my neck. I do know that since using shampoo bars (the coconut milk bar also on my face and neck), the bumps have disappeared. Also since using shampoo bars, the scalp itchiness that plagued me for some time has magically gone away. I think that shampoo bars can leave their own residue if you don't use the right ones or the right technique for you. CV bars are natural and seem to be on the whole fairly gentle. I'd say, go for it! Maybe order a few sample bars that would all fit inside one envelope, to minimize your shipping costs.

Thanks! If those annoying bumps will disappear, I would be more than happy. :) I think the first page has the link for these bars. I'll go check that out and get some ordered. Thanks again!

LaCitoyenne
December 30th, 2009, 11:37 AM
You're welcome, Latin Tea. I wish you luck. If shampoo bars don't do it for you, something else will. LHC sure is a great resource!

Tinwe
December 30th, 2009, 01:58 PM
My latest CV order arrived yesterday! Wonderful!

I washed my hair with Ayurvedic shampoo bar today. First I oiled my hair with bit of coconut oil, then after a while went to sauna with towel around my hair. Yeah, almost every Finn has a sauna at home. :D Sauna was warm, 80 celcius degrees, that makes... about 175 fahrenheit. So I think I'd better use towel around head so it protects hair from heat. But hair gets nice & warm, that's good.

After a while (yes, I spend some 5-10 minutes at sauna, had some mineral water and went back to sauna etc.) I rinsed my hair and washed it with CV Ayurvedic shampoo bar. I lathered 3 times, first just quickly and didn't lather very much, and two good latherings. Then followed vinegar rinse - I have a mixture of red wine vinegar (acidity 6%) + rosemary, lemon, peppermint and lavender essential oils in brown glass bottle. When washing hair I mix one tablespoon of that mixture with water, in old honey bottle, about 3,5 deciliters (that is approximately 1,5 cups).

Now my hair is dry and SO beautiful! I just keep touching it, I think my hair is greasy already tomorrow because I can't get my hand off... Well, I think I have someone else's hair as mine isn't this fluffy, soft and thick. I just love it! Good thing I ordered full size shampoo even before trying, I'm interested to see what happens after a while, will this shampoo bar continue to give such good results. No residue whatsoever, nice.

AND what should be noticed: my husband, known not to notice anything, like myself cutting hair short and my hair changing from brown to red... he said just moments ago, that my hair looks thicker than normal. "Are those shampoo bars of yours causing that?" he asked... So I think now I have his approval to buy just about all shampoo bars I can find. :D

Well, and I do buy... I read some more of this topic, now on page 190, and suddenly I noticed that I had ordered shampoo bar samples from SLO. Oh my. However did that happen? ;)

Dolly
December 30th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I have this residue on my scalp. I saw a derm and he told me it was dandruff, but it seems stranger than that. I've NEVER run into anyone describing what I have on my scalp.

Okay, when I take my fingernail and (and this will sound gross!) scrape my scalp, I come away with what seems to be a thick, almost a soft cheesy (now that IS yucky) substance. I can take the whitish gunk and smoosh it between my fingers and it feels slightly oily, yet waxy....would this be sebum? I should have this figured out by now and that is why I went to the doctor, but still have no clue. I've seen dandruff on other people's heads and mine does not look like that. There is no obvious flaking seen on the scalp, but I feel it all the time. There's a dull itching going on.

I also have areas on my neck's hairline where my skin breaks out in reddish bumps, not many, just one or two, but it's like the shampoo is hurting my skin. They itch too and look nasty so forget buns on me. The only thing that helps is doing coal-tar shampoo once a week just in that area. Also, hydrocortisone will stop the itch for awhile.

My son has had that for years.....it is Seborrheic Dermatitis .....the pediatrician even prescribed him a topical med and shampoos, which never cleared it.....I started him on Chagrin Valley Neem and Tea Tree shampoo bars.....his scalp is almost completely clear......you should give them a try!

Chromis
December 30th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I am posting this on the 'mane' board too, but I specifically wanted to ask here on this thread. Maybe shampoo bars are my answer!

My main problem with my hair is my scalp. The hair is manageable, but my scalp has been a problem for at least 10 years now. It's almost embarrassing to write about, but I really want to fix this so I can concentrate on growing my hair.

I have used regular shampoo, clarifying shampoos, Head & Shoulders, and shampoo without sulfates all to no avail. They ALL eventually lead to irritation on my neckline and may be causing the other gunk on the rest of my head. :confused:

Will shampoo bars help me in any way with these two issues? I am about to order tea tree shampoo, but I distinctly remember that not helping either.

I shampoo 2xs a week with COing the lower area. I used to wash every other day (before coming here), but still had the same amount of residue. Maybe I should go WO? Any help with this would be appreciated.

I get that same gunky almost-cheeselike consistency stuff you mention as well whenever I live somewhere with hard water. Doesn't matter what I wash with, even harsh shampoos don't remove it, they just dry my hair and leave it frizzy. The brief times I have lived with soft water it completely vanished. I'm a bit too lazy to wash solely with spring water or distilled water and just rinsing with either doesn't seem to help enough to make it worthwhile.

I currently stick to just scritching my head with my fingernails when the build up gets thick before I use my shampoo bars. If nothing cuts through it on my scalp, I might as well use the washing method my hair likes most! Warning do this *before* you put the drain trap in! Ew, ew, ew. You think it looks bad under fingernails... I have also tried doing a brown sugar scrub, but that seemed much less effective.

Latin Tea
December 30th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks to you both for the replies. I'll have to consider the Neem bar for my order. Looks good. And as for hard water, yes, that's probably a big part of it as I've always lived where there is hard water. I was thinking of a shower filter, but that can get costly. Good to know about the sugar scrub. Thanks!

ljkforu
December 31st, 2009, 12:17 AM
Sounds the same to me, son also has it bad. He uses Grandpa's Pine Tar bar soap as shampoo with great results -- he is allergic to SLS but not SAS.

Note -- A fungal infection needs to be ruled out. They are treated with ketaconazole or miconazole.

My son has had that for years.....it is Seborrheic Dermatitis .....the pediatrician even prescribed him a topical med and shampoos, which never cleared it.....I started him on Chagrin Valley Neem and Tea Tree shampoo bars.....his scalp is almost completely clear......you should give them a try!

LaCitoyenne
December 31st, 2009, 05:38 AM
I live in an area of hard water, and I find that just to saturate my hair with distilled water at the very beginning of the process helps a lot.

Here's a quote from Uncle Harry's web site, http://www.uncleharrys.com/infobase/cure/shampoo.php:

"The chemical reaction of hard water with our natural shampoo can be easily avoided by wetting your hair with distilled water which can be purchased at any supermarket. Shake the shampoo vigorously. Apply it on hair wetted with distilled water and rinse with distilled water for optimal results or with normal tap water even if it is hard water. As long as you wet your hair with distilled water, no reaction will take place."

LaCitoyenne
December 31st, 2009, 06:06 AM
By the way, distilled water doesn't have to be super-expensive. At least, where I live, I can refill my 18L water jug for only $3 CDN. Lugging that around is a pain, though.

Chromis
December 31st, 2009, 11:03 AM
By the way, distilled water doesn't have to be super-expensive. At least, where I live, I can refill my 18L water jug for only $3 CDN. Lugging that around is a pain, though.

It isn't the expense for me, it's the hassle. I don't like dumping cold water on my head even after I have lugged it all the way home, so there's a whole reheating step involved and I like everything to be just right there. I'm a lazy hair lover.

LaCitoyenne
December 31st, 2009, 11:57 AM
That is true, I have to warm up the water first. But while the water is heating in the kettle I do other stuff. I don't mind the extra step in view of the benefits.

Neoma
January 1st, 2010, 09:51 AM
I just ordered a pound of Aloe Fresh shampoo bar "homlies" from Karla, the woman who makes PLH's bars. They are "less than perfect looking" bars that she sells at a substantial discount. I emailed her first to ensure that she had a pound of what I wanted.

In case anyone is interested, Karla's site is here (http://iasoaps.com/).

Gabriel
January 1st, 2010, 08:01 PM
I placed an order with Sweet Creek Herbs over on Etsy for some shampoo bar samples. I ordered samples of these four:

Shampoo with Silk Bar, Marshmallow Root Honey Almond

Shampoo with Silk Bar, Chamomile Ylang Ylang

Shampoo with Silk Bar, Marsh Mallow scented

Shampoo with Silk Bar, Green Herbal

They're about one ounce ( I think? palm sized) and labeled and wrapped in tissue.

Really sweet vendor and fast shipping. Everything smells great and I have shampoo'd with my first try, the Chamomile and Ylang Ylang. I think I'm a shampoo bar convert!

I had been having some scalp flaking lately before trying the shampoo bar and so far this seems to be helping clear that a lot.

Neoma
January 1st, 2010, 09:27 PM
I placed an order with Sweet Creek Herbs over on Etsy for some shampoo bar samples. I ordered samples of these four:

Shampoo with Silk Bar, Marshmallow Root Honey Almond

Shampoo with Silk Bar, Chamomile Ylang Ylang

Shampoo with Silk Bar, Marsh Mallow scented

Shampoo with Silk Bar, Green Herbal

They're about one ounce ( I think? palm sized) and labeled and wrapped in tissue.

Really sweet vendor and fast shipping. Everything smells great and I have shampoo'd with my first try, the Chamomile and Ylang Ylang. I think I'm a shampoo bar convert!

I had been having some scalp flaking lately before trying the shampoo bar and so far this seems to be helping clear that a lot.
I'm glad to hear that the SCH bars are working for you, Gabriel. They are among my favorite brand. And I agree: Kathleen is a real sweetie and provides fabulous customer service.

What routine did you follow? Shampoo bar only? Shampoo bar followed by vinegar rinse? Other...?

ljkforu
January 2nd, 2010, 12:54 AM
What are peoples' opinions on added proteins?
Silk, wheat, soy, human, other??

Chromis
January 2nd, 2010, 08:21 AM
What are peoples' opinions on added proteins?
Silk, wheat, soy, human, other??

Depends if your hair likes protein, just like with liquid shampoos and conditioners.

Madame J
January 2nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
Wow, I just placed a SCH order, too (you darned enablers!). I got the six-bar set, all full-sized, since I'm big on commitment (and my hair's never not liked a shampoo bar yet), plus a lavender salve. I got the marshmallow root and green herbal shampoo soaps, plus two bath soaps, a face soap, and the pine tar soap. I'm pretty excited.

I used my shampoo bar the other day for a wash and remembered why I liked them so much. And the only bar I have right now is a bar I got for free as a tester for a soap-maker friend of mine, so it's really basic (as in simple) and I'm hankering for something scented. Well, I have a JR Liggett original formula around, too, but it made my scalp itch a little, and I'm worried, since that was the only reaction leading up to my hive outbreak....

Gabriel
January 2nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
I'm glad to hear that the SCH bars are working for you, Gabriel. They are among my favorite brand. And I agree: Kathleen is a real sweetie and provides fabulous customer service.

What routine did you follow? Shampoo bar only? Shampoo bar followed by vinegar rinse? Other...?

I used the shampoo bar washing my hair/scalp with it once and then a catnip soak followed by a nettle infused ACV final rinse.

Neoma
January 2nd, 2010, 02:41 PM
I used the shampoo bar washing my hair/scalp with it once and then a catnip soak followed by a nettle infused ACV final rinse.
Thank you, Gabriel. :flower:

LaCitoyenne
January 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the link to Karla's web site, Neoma.

My experiment with shampoo bars is still going well. I like CV's Chamomile & Citrus bar the best of the ones I have tried (Chamomile & Citrus, Nettle, Coconut Milk). I think the Coconut Milk bar is after all too rich for my hair (or maybe my hair doesn't care for that ingredient), but my face and body love it. C & C gives me great body and softness, and the slight frizz I get is tamed by the tiny bit of coconut oil I use as a leave-in. FYI, I lather twice, use a vinegar rinse and no conditioner.

Neoma
January 2nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the link to Karla's web site, Neoma.

My experiment with shampoo bars is still going well. I like CV's Chamomile & Citrus bar the best of the ones I have tried (Chamomile & Citrus, Nettle, Coconut Milk). I think the Coconut Milk bar is after all too rich for my hair (or maybe my hair doesn't care for that ingredient), but my face and body love it. C & C gives me great body and softness, and the slight frizz I get is tamed by the tiny bit of coconut oil I use as a leave-in. FYI, I lather twice, use a vinegar rinse and no conditioner.
You're very welcome, LaCitoyenne. :flower:

I'm glad to hear that you're having success with CV bars.

Magicknthenight
January 2nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
Wow what a long thread! I have been wanting to order some samples from CV for a long while. So I decided on Ayurvedic Herb Shampoo Sample, Herb Garden Shampoo Sample, Neem & Tea Tree Oil Body & Hair Shampoo Sample, and the Babassu and Marsh Mallow Shampoo Sample.
I usually use a diluted ACV rinse after my AO shampoo. I CO sometimes but rarely and then i just dilute the rinse more. Then i rinse that out and use a conditioner on the length (usually either AO honey suckle rose or vo5 and an SMT)
I have been trying to lighten my after wash heavy oil so i can cwc instead of s&c. Since lately i have been leaning more towards the s&c.
However when i went to check out i got this message. I read a bit but didn't see it mentioned. I also put it in the search bar and found no results.
Every time i go to check out and go to pay pal to make my payment i get this message
"Item is Out of Stock or a Website Problem Has Occurred
Please See Below For Details:
Could not locate PayPal token
Error Code : Not Available"
I contacted them and tried several things such as waiting then trying again, emptying the cart then refilling what i wanted, and trying internet explorer instead of Firefox. None of that worked. They had said they had this problem with pay pal for a while.
I emailed them a few days ago but they haven't responded. I'm sure its because of the holidays. However has anyone else experienced this? If so did you ever figure out how to successfully pay for it with pay pal?
TIA

ETA: I know my pay pal its self is working because a few days ago i used it to pay for another order on a separate website.

kittensoupnrice
January 3rd, 2010, 09:42 AM
That's interesting.
I just bought a bunch of stuff from them just last week with paypal, and had no issues.

Perhaps, since I know they had a few bars that were curing up until Jan 5 (that's what it said a few days ago, just checked and it says all are in stock now?), that there's a database mismatch, and the website might think some of the bars you are ordering aren't available yet.