PDA

View Full Version : The Shampoo Bar Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

ljkforu
March 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Hi :)

I ws wondering if anyone knows, if you can make shampoo bars out of melting plain soap bars?

I have found these really cheap natural plain soap bars, but I would love to add my own ingredients in them? is it possible I could re melt the soap in water, mix in my ingredients and then set in a mold and it will harden again? is that possible?

I really do not fancy using lye I know it very dangerous if it contacts the skin and I am abit clumsy, so knowing me its a disater waiting to happen lol :p

So I hoping the above method is a safe way to make own shampoo bars :) Any websites would also be great

Thanks everyone :D
PM me with what soap you have and I'll tell you how to rebatch it :D

kwaniesiam
March 5th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I just got home today with nasty unwashed hospital hair, and my neem and tea tree CV bar cleaned it right up. I usually don't even need a vinegar rinse now it seems. I'm hooked, its so odd how these used to not work for me but now they they do I'm not complaining :) My hair is soft, clean, and for once has some volume. Yay :happydance:

janeytilllie
March 6th, 2009, 01:28 AM
PM me with what soap you have and I'll tell you how to rebatch it :D

Moonstruck
March 6th, 2009, 10:56 AM
After reading what the lady from SCH said about ACV rinses (thanks Neoma!) I tried doing it without the rinse, but even before I got out of the shower it was readily apparent that I would end up with the waxies. So I did it to the scalp region but not the length, which seemed to get rid of the worst of it. However, the length still was a little tangly and waxy feeling, which utterly defeats the purpose of using these bars, imo.
Today I tried doing an ACV rinse after I used my 'poo bar, and then put soap (and then conditioner) on the length/ends. It's not dry yet, but it seems to be doing a little bit better. Might be because of um, well, the cones in the condish. Shh.

I know this is only tangentially related to this thread, but I have a question, sort of. I regularly horseback ride/attend shows where the wind and muck and such are rather hectic. Ever since going off cones and turning to poo/soap bars exclusively, I've LOVED my hair for its softness and body, but the ends get SO destroyed when I go to the stables. Would it be "better" in the long run to be using a cone condish before I ride, and then a clarifying BS/shampoo to get rid of it, and then go back to my usual poo bars? If not, what would you guys suggest?

Neoma
March 6th, 2009, 07:57 PM
This morning, I followed exactly the same hair care routine that I did yesterday. (SCH shampoo bar 2X, no rinse.) Wet, my hair was extremely tangly and, quite frankly, detangling scared me a bit.

Dry, my hair looked really good. My crown was a little flat, but I didn't have barbed-wire hair like I often do when I use a shampoo bar.

When I got home, I redid my hair. It was clear that it was very thirsty. I applied some GR conditioner, a little aloe gel and a few drops of Moonchaser's SS Oil.

Tomorrow, I'm going to shampoo with my lovely SCH shampoo bar and follow with lots of conditioner. I've said it before, but I often choose not to listen to myself: "My hair is too long and too tangle prone for me not to use conditioner."

kwaniesiam
March 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Has anyone noticed an increase in thickness since using poo bars? I'm on my first full week of CV bars only, mostly the neem and tea tree oil, and my circumference has gone up to a solid 2". This may not seem like a lot, but for me it usually hovers just under. I know the bulk is temporary, but encouraging nonetheless.

ljkforu
March 7th, 2009, 12:18 AM
After reading what the lady from SCH said about ACV rinses (thanks Neoma!) I tried doing it without the rinse, but even before I got out of the shower it was readily apparent that I would end up with the waxies. So I did it to the scalp region but not the length, which seemed to get rid of the worst of it. However, the length still was a little tangly and waxy feeling, which utterly defeats the purpose of using these bars, imo.
Today I tried doing an ACV rinse after I used my 'poo bar, and then put soap (and then conditioner) on the length/ends. It's not dry yet, but it seems to be doing a little bit better. Might be because of um, well, the cones in the condish. Shh.

I know this is only tangentially related to this thread, but I have a question, sort of. I regularly horseback ride/attend shows where the wind and muck and such are rather hectic. Ever since going off cones and turning to poo/soap bars exclusively, I've LOVED my hair for its softness and body, but the ends get SO destroyed when I go to the stables. Would it be "better" in the long run to be using a cone condish before I ride, and then a clarifying BS/shampoo to get rid of it, and then go back to my usual poo bars? If not, what would you guys suggest?
I would use a heavy cone leave in treatment on the dry area and just not worry about it. I only use bar soaps/poos on my hair and I bounce back and forth between cones, non-cones, and OMG leave-in car polish cones. I never have a build up or anything else go wrong. I have good water in my area. Just adapt and use what you need. Personally, I love VO5 cone free for daily and Fruitis Sleek and Shine leave in for the OMG stuff. Other option is to coconut oil the offending section of hair. You could also alternate using both for less build up.

I've followed all the info. on acid rinses but if I go without my vitamin C rinse my ends feel crunchy. When I use it no kinking and no crunchy.

shampoobarGirl
March 7th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I'm so happy to hear y'all are discovering Sweet Creek Herbs! Kathleen is so knowledgeable and friendly and her shampoo bars are awesome!

Would love to have any of you leave reviews for the bars you're trying here: http://sbreviews.inspirehandmade.org . The more reviews we get there, the better the site will be. Thanks so much!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Karen, lab rat in the Great Shampoo Bar Experiment (http://stonl.inspirehandmade.org)

steph in tx
March 7th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I have not had great results with my own homemade shampoo bars. The first day it was really nice, but after that it got really waxy. It had the same effect on 2 of my daughters. The other 3 (and my husband) all use these shampoo bars with great results. I want to work to get a better recipe that maybe will work for all of us, but in the meantime I ordered a few sample bars from CV to see if they work better for me. I ordered Cafe Morena, Herb Garden, Mud & Clay and Babasu and Marshmallow. I hope these were good choices. They all sounded lovely and I had no idea what to choose. Once they arrive I'll experiment with the ACV rinses to see if doing it helps or hurts. I can't wait to try them.

Dolly
March 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Well, some people use the shampoo bars without an ACV rinse, with no issues. Personally, whether I use conditioner or not (which I ususally do), I end up with terrible waxies if I do not use the vinegar rinse.

manderly
March 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I ordered Cafe Morena, Herb Garden, Mud & Clay and Babasu and Marshmallow.

Cafe Moreno and the Babassu & Marshmallow are very moisturizing bars, while the other two are more cleansing. If you've experienced waxies with your homemade bar, I would suggest you start off with the more cleansing bars, as the moisturizing ones are more likely to give you waxies early on. You may find down the road your hair prefers the moisturizing ones :)

IndigoInk
March 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I really want to try some of the CV shampoo bars. I love my LUSH bars. Especially Hybrid and Godiva which I don't have to use conditioner with. I may have to order a bunch of samples from CV to see which ones of theirs I like.

steph in tx
March 7th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Cafe Moreno and the Babassu & Marshmallow are very moisturizing bars, while the other two are more cleansing. If you've experienced waxies with your homemade bar, I would suggest you start off with the more cleansing bars, as the moisturizing ones are more likely to give you waxies early on. You may find down the road your hair prefers the moisturizing ones :)

Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

manderly
March 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I really want to try some of the CV shampoo bars. I love my LUSH bars. Especially Hybrid and Godiva which I don't have to use conditioner with. I may have to order a bunch of samples from CV to see which ones of theirs I like.

Just an FYI, Lush's poo bars are just that, solid shampoos. The bars mostly discussed in this thread are soap based, so they are quite different.

I just wanted to make sure you knew there was a difference :flower:

IndigoInk
March 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Just an FYI, Lush's poo bars are just that, solid shampoos. The bars mostly discussed in this thread are soap based, so they are quite different.

I just wanted to make sure you knew there was a difference :flower:

Oh I know that :) that's why I want to try them! I love my LUSH but I've always enjoyed having a variety of products around, especially b/c around here winter and summer are totally different beasts and I have to change pretty much everything in my routine seasonally. Thank you though!

Moonstruck
March 8th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all the info, guys. Haha, my hair did indeed get the waxies on the length without the ACV rinse... but it was slippier anyhow cause of the cones. Weirdest feeling ever. =/
I had been hoping that the condish would sort of be acidic enough/override the waxies, but at least now I know. Hm.

Out of curiosity, what do people think of CV's herb garden? I really feel like I don't hear much about it at all, despite it being chock full of some of the coolest hair herbs around.

steph in tx
March 8th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I ordered it for the very reason you mention. The herbs seem really good. I look forward to trying it as son as it arrives. I agree, though, that it doesn't get as much lip service as the others do.

manderly
March 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
It was far too drying for me.....but then again I'm one of the few who use olive and babassu every wash with no problem :shrug:

steph in tx
March 12th, 2009, 09:47 PM
My CV bars arrived today, so I will be experimenting in the next couple of weeks to see what my hair prefers. Sigh... I just hope I can find something that works well so I can get away from all the chemically-laden shampoos. I think I'll start with Mud & Clay...

kwaniesiam
March 12th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Does anyone use the CV dog shampoo? I tried the cedarwood and lavender bar and really liked it :o

ljkforu
March 13th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Does anyone use the CV dog shampoo? I tried the cedarwood and lavender bar and really liked it :o
Soap is Soap -- she doesn't use pesticides as far as I know so the dog bars should be fine. You might want to ask her.

The regular Soap bars from CV are TERRIFIC on hair, I have never had the waxies.

Haven't tried the poo bars because of the higher castor oil content.

CV Soap has just the right amount of Castor to give me weight and moisture without the waxies.

sapphire-o
March 13th, 2009, 01:09 AM
CV herb garden bar is very nice. It feels pretty cleansing, so it might feel stripping for dry hair. Feels great on my oily hair, though. I don't really use CV bars any more as they're too mild for my scalp, but they sure feel great on the length.

What would you guys say is the most cleansing shampoo bar you have tried? :) I think for me it's J.R. Liggett bar. I wish I can find it locally.

steph in tx
March 13th, 2009, 01:30 AM
My hope is to eventually find a recipe to make at home that will work. It amazes me how the ones I made work so wonderfully on my husband and 3 of my daughters, while the rest of us simply can't get by without a terrible case of the waxies. And it's not divided by hair type. My husband and dd#2 have virtually the exact same hair, but the bars I made don't work for her. I don't mind making different recipes for us, but I want to find something that works. it seems like it could be a long journey full of waxy hair days to find that recipe.

Isa-belle
March 13th, 2009, 03:00 AM
So, I'm checking back after experimenting with my bars a bit more.
I'd been away and not able to play with my bars; and I try to wash my hair only once a week, which explains why my reviews are late in coming ;)

The CV bars I've been using are Babassu Marshmallow, Olive and Babassu, and Extra Honey Beer & Egg.
I didn't find the Olive and Babassu to be really more moisturizing than the Babassu Marshallow. Actually, of the three, it was my least favourite to use, the lather didn't feel that moisturizing. I have dryish hair so thought it'd be my fave. Go figure.
That being said, Olive and Babassu did give me great hair and volume - only the washing process itself proved to be less satisfying than with the two other bars. My hair did feel particularly lovely once it had dried, so I'll definitely be using it again. Maybe I just had a hard time "breaking" the bar for the first wash? I'll check back if I find any change :)

I used the Extra Honey Beer and Egg last time, and loved it! Great lather, felt moisturizing, and left my hair really clean and light.

I do use conditioner after shampooing, and do a rinse afterwards, with filtered water (infused with nettle, sage or rosemary if I have the time), a tiny bit of ACV, and a tiny squirt of conditioner.

Moonstruck
March 13th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Manderly, out of curiosity, have you ever tried using her soaps instead of the 'poo bars because they're more superfatted? I know I use Honey Beer on my hair when it seems a little thirstier than usual (I have oily hair though, and it's just the right moisturization level).

As for the dog shampoo one - I want to try that so badly! I'm just afraid it'll be too cedarwood/fir smelly for me. How strong is that scent? I love trees, but sometimes those tacky pine air fresheners and such just drive me insane. I would try the honey and oats one too, but it sounds mildly exfoliating, which my hair would probably dislike, haha. =P

Canarygirl
March 13th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I tried using a shampoo bar for the first time yesterday. I used one I bought from the Mehandi shop, lotus/ylang ylang. I lathered only once and followed with an ACV rinse. By yesterday evening, my hair was flat as can be, like I'd gone too long between shampoos or something. I normally have an oily scalp and dry, fly-away everything else. My habit is to shampoo every other day. No way could I do that using this shampoo bar!

I've never tried any other kind of shampoo bar, but since these things are essentially soap, is there reason to think that it would be a different experience with a different bar?

Isa-belle
March 13th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I think you need to lather at least twice to really wash your hair. The first lather will only release the dirt; the second will wash it out. (several here do a third lather, and this one is for conditioning.) This is what I read here, and it's what I've experienced as well, when using my shampoo bars. :)

Desdemona
March 13th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I tried using a shampoo bar for the first time yesterday. I used one I bought from the Mehandi shop, lotus/ylang ylang. I lathered only once and followed with an ACV rinse. By yesterday evening, my hair was flat as can be, like I'd gone too long between shampoos or something. I normally have an oily scalp and dry, fly-away everything else. My habit is to shampoo every other day. No way could I do that using this shampoo bar!

I've never tried any other kind of shampoo bar, but since these things are essentially soap, is there reason to think that it would be a different experience with a different bar?
Yes, the Mehandi bars are too full of oils, they did the same thing to my hair and many others have reported similar issues. Try more cleansing bars like Chagrin Valley, Soap Lady Oregon or Prairie Land Herbs.

eta: I agree with Isa-belle, you may need to lather two or even three times with shampoo bars, even if you get plenty of lather the first time.

Moonstruck
March 13th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Canarygirl, there are tons of different recipes and things to put into soap that make them react as totally different bars. Think of your normal shampoo - it's probably very similar to hundreds of other shampoos, yet slightly different ratios, some different extracts, anything really, makes the product act vastly different.
I can certainly vouch for myself that I can get radically different hair with 2 similar shampoo bars with different ratios. One makes my hair look unkempt, flat, and generally gross, and the other makes my hair shine and behave beautifully.

If you're willing to, you could try lathering twice - I found this necessary in the beginning (maybe removing old buildup?). I also make sure I'm really getting the lather on my head - I practically give myself a scalp massage. What were you used to using?

manderly
March 13th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Moonstruck, honestly, I haven't tried any of the soap bars since I tried the butter bar as a conditioner. I may look into giving it a go, since even the O&B bar isn't as moisturizing as my hair wants it anymore :) My hair is a fricken sponge.

Canarygirl, definitely give it another lather or two. You'll feel the difference between lathers and be able to judge when your hair is clean or not. I know that on most days I can get away with one lather, it's nice and frothy and thick. Some days though, my hair is particularly gunky for whatever reason, the first lather is pretty pathetic, doesn't poof up with froth much at all, and doesn't feel nice when it rinses. On those days a second or eve third lather will produce the thick, rich lather that fluffs up my hair and rinses out beautifully.

ratgirldjh
March 13th, 2009, 01:21 PM
i still haven't tried any of the CV bars - but i do get consistent results with the j. r. liggett's herbal formula.
for me it gives my hair lots of body and leaves it feeling bouncy and shiny - not as shiny as chandrika soap though - but i have recently discovered that chandrika soap may or may not contain waxes in it - so i am sticking with j. r. liggetts unless i can find something local.

sometimes health food stores will have j. r. liggetts - and usually if they don't they will order you some if you ask.

Moonstruck
March 13th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Hm, Manderly, your description of the lather sounds so much different then mine! Maybe I need to lather a third time - I never get it really feeling like it's foamy and light and full of suds. Definitely a lot more on the second lather than the first though, and I figured that was about right. That might be the thing for me, durrrr. I was wondering why my hair started to look grungy by late 2nd day - I was hoping that the shampoo bars would allow me to wash my hair less frequently than normal poo (I normally wash every other). Hm.

sapphire-o, have you tried looking in the closest natural food markets (or whole foods, haha)? I always see J. R. Liggetts there, though I've never tried it.

Canarygirl
March 13th, 2009, 03:23 PM
If you're willing to, you could try lathering twice - I found this necessary in the beginning (maybe removing old buildup?). I also make sure I'm really getting the lather on my head - I practically give myself a scalp massage. What were you used to using?

I've been used to doing a single lather (with regular shampoos). I'll try it another time doing a double lather; you're right about the foam not being very impressive with the first go-round. I also bought the juniper/zizyphrus bar from the same place...I could give that one a go.

thanks for your replies, everyone

sapphire-o
March 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Our local health food store doesn't have any shampoo bars. I think the closest Whole foods is about an hour's drive away. I'll definitely look if we go that way. How much should they cost in stores? (The J.R. Liggett bars)

Oh, and I've been getting very consistant results with a liquid soap based shampoo from a local store. It's unscented so I can add my own EO to it. I've been using rose geranium, rosemary and ylang ylang lately and it smells heavenly. :) I think I'll only ever order CV bars for DH from now on.

ratgirldjh
March 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM
sapphire-o - i think i paid around $5.00/US

personally, i still prefer my chandrika soap - because the j. r. liggetts has castor oil and for some reason after a couple of washings it seems to be depositing on the length of my hair.

but the chandrika soap available in other countries and even other states seems to have paraffin or beeswax in it - the one here doesn't - YAY - so i am still using it.

but of all the other things i have used j. r. liggett's was the best real 'poo' bar for me.

i have never tried CV bars though. they have too many choices and i couldn't ever decide which one to try ;)

i also ordered some j. r. liggett's on-line from ebay before. i prefered the herbal smell and formula to the original. the herbal also seems to leave a little less 'waxy' feeling.

kwaniesiam
March 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Manderly, out of curiosity, have you ever tried using her soaps instead of the 'poo bars because they're more superfatted? I know I use Honey Beer on my hair when it seems a little thirstier than usual (I have oily hair though, and it's just the right moisturization level).

As for the dog shampoo one - I want to try that so badly! I'm just afraid it'll be too cedarwood/fir smelly for me. How strong is that scent? I love trees, but sometimes those tacky pine air fresheners and such just drive me insane. I would try the honey and oats one too, but it sounds mildly exfoliating, which my hair would probably dislike, haha. =P

The scent is actually very mild since its meant for doggies who have sensitive noses ;)

I haven't tried the regular soaps on my hair, but I'll get a few samples in my next order. I'm totally hooked on the neem and tea tree though, I think it might be my holy grail product. I don't even have to use conditioner or an acid rinse. My hair feels stiff when its damp, but when it dries its very fluffy, soft, and unlike anything I've ever done to it before. I've battled with numerous products long enough, I hope my results stay this consistent :D

manderly
March 13th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Moonstruck and Canarygirl, it was weird doing the lather, rinse, repeat thing with the bars, because my entire life I was a 1 lather gal (with commercial poos) unless I was tragically grungy and didn't get any lather the first time.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), the poo bars require more work because the soap is less striping and takes a little more effort to clean well :)

VLoving
March 13th, 2009, 07:10 PM
The regular Soap bars from CV are TERRIFIC on hair, I have never had the waxies.

Haven't tried the poo bars because of the higher castor oil content.

CV Soap has just the right amount of Castor to give me weight and moisture without the waxies.

Funny you should mention this. I ordered a bunch of sample from CV (8 soaps and 5 poo bars) and have been using the Poo bars for about a month now. I know a lot of my “issues” stem from “build up” from my previous shampoo/conditioner and NOT using a vinegar rinse. I had ordered Café Moreno, Chamomile & Citrus, Lavender & Spice, Mud & Clay and Summer Sunshine. They are all wonderful…they just don't meet my expectations in ALL areas...such high standards I have. :shrug:

I started out using JR Liggets original bar and found it to be far to cleansing. It left my hair super shiny but generally “weird” and wiry. I used this bar for a few weeks while I was waiting for my CV bars to come. I use this bar now when my hair starts to get weighed down and needs a good cleaning…other than that it just sits on the shelf waiting to be used.

Out of my Poo bars Café Moreno and Lavender & Spice are my favorites. Café Moreno leaves a similar shine to Liggets but with more moisture. I love the smell but find that it lingers all day…I’m still undecided whether I like all day scent. I am in love with the scent of the Lavender & Spice.:crush: This bar leaves my hair super moisturized but I have to be careful to not over do it. If I use this bar more than a few washes in a row my hair starts to get weighed down from the residue (I think it is the coconut milk).

I use my Chamomile & Citrus*, Mud & Clay* and Summer Sunshine (coconut milk) too infrequently to leave an accurate review. I just haven’t fallen for them yet. I use them once and move on to something else. *I don’t think my hair like Olive Oil (I can’t use it to oil my hair either) or coconut milk. They don’t do anything special for my hair. My hair behaves when use bars that don’t contain them. *shrug*

I started using my Honey Butter soap as a “conditioner” with my Liggets bar a few weeks back. I washed my scalp with Liggets and my length with the Honey Butter. This was the softest my hair had been while using poo bars. It was the doorway to experiment with my other soaps.

I had started to feel a little guilty about not using my Avocado Oats & Shea soap…it has literally sat by my sink for 3 weeks. I was a little unsure of the scent. I didn’t like it as a soap but OMG on my hair!!!! My hair has NEVER been this soft and manageable…even when I used regular shampoo and conditioner. I don’t know what it is…or isn’t…in this bar that I am completely in love with. Unlike the Lavender & Spice bar that gradually builds up residue I can use this bar wash after wash and still have soft fluffy hair. And the SHINE…I’m in love:heartbeat. Ahhh…So this is what it is like!

I have used Orange Creamsicle and Shea Rose Clay with good success…but nothing like Avocado Oats & Shea. I guess I know what I am reordering. One thing I should mention…I started experimenting with vinegar rinses around the same time as the Avocado Oats & Shea…so now I need to go back and re-experiment with my poo bars to see if I like them any better.

Chromis
March 13th, 2009, 08:06 PM

It smells more like trees than Pine-Sol (which doesn't smell a thing like any tree I've ever smelt)

ljkforu
March 13th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hm, Manderly, your description of the lather sounds so much different then mine! Maybe I need to lather a third time - I never get it really feeling like it's foamy and light and full of suds. Definitely a lot more on the second lather than the first though, and I figured that was about right. That might be the thing for me, durrrr. I was wondering why my hair started to look grungy by late 2nd day - I was hoping that the shampoo bars would allow me to wash my hair less frequently than normal poo (I normally wash every other). Hm.

sapphire-o, have you tried looking in the closest natural food markets (or whole foods, haha)? I always see J. R. Liggetts there, though I've never tried it.
If they carry Sappo Hills, I've had excellent results with all their scents. Well, except for the lemon gardner soap that seems to contain scrubbing grit.

kwaniesiam
March 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I just washed for the 4th time in a row with the neem and tea tree cv bar. No buildup or residue yet, and my hair feels wonderfully clean. I think its too good to be true, so tomorrow I'm going to switch up the bars and use a vinegar rinse just to be safe.

Moonstruck
March 13th, 2009, 08:16 PM
HAHAHA the pine-sol comment is great, and I agree wholeheartedly. I should have realized that a dog shampoo ought to be light on the scent though, duh, thanks for pointing that out to me kwaniesiam.
This is SO bad. The last thing I need to know is that basically all the CV bars can be used on my hair - I'm going to have to try EVERYTHING and make even MORE charts and such! Darn it.

I like to look at the extra time needed for poo bars as improving my health by justifying more time in a really nice hot shower. Hahaha. And to give myself a scalp massage, basically! It makes me feel a lot more in touch with my body to be controlling this stuff so carefully, anyhow.

ljkforu
March 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Vloving we appreciate the info on all your goodies. I'm going to have to try the Avocado Shea, they are both body and hair favorites.

ratgirldjh
March 13th, 2009, 08:38 PM
i would love to try the cafe moreno poo bar from CV. if i was to order from them i would order that and the summer sunshine.

for me the j. r. liggetts does not seem to be super cleansing - at least it doesn't feel like it strips my hair - but all i have to compare it to are grandpa's pine tar soap and chandrika and it seems milder than either of them.

it definitely makes my hair shiny and smooth and i've never tried washing twice with any of them unless i am trying to take out a coconut oiling and then i was 2 or 3 times.

maybe one day i will get up the nerve to order some CV bars. it is hard for me to order stuff because i am SO sensitive to scent and i worry about being allergic to some of the essential oils or even worse fragrance oils.

if is wasn't for that i would have already ordered dairy whip and CV bars.

luckily i was able to find j. r. liggett's here at our food co-op first and tried it before ordering any on-line. it seems to me that the herbal formula is a little less smelly and also seems to work better in our hard water.

if i can find a shampoo bar made in austin, tx - that i like the ingredients of - i will start buying them from here.

or i will eventually make my own ;) i have made soap in the past - i was just never too happy with it - LOL

maybe i will try Sappo Hill - what flavors have you tried???

Canarygirl
March 13th, 2009, 09:23 PM
so is the Avocado & Shea bar a "CV" bar also? And what does CV stand for again? :o

ljkforu
March 14th, 2009, 12:03 AM
i would love to try the cafe moreno poo bar from CV. if i was to order from them i would order that and the summer sunshine.

for me the j. r. liggetts does not seem to be super cleansing - at least it doesn't feel like it strips my hair - but all i have to compare it to are grandpa's pine tar soap and chandrika and it seems milder than either of them.

it definitely makes my hair shiny and smooth and i've never tried washing twice with any of them unless i am trying to take out a coconut oiling and then i was 2 or 3 times.

maybe one day i will get up the nerve to order some CV bars. it is hard for me to order stuff because i am SO sensitive to scent and i worry about being allergic to some of the essential oils or even worse fragrance oils.

if is wasn't for that i would have already ordered dairy whip and CV bars.

luckily i was able to find j. r. liggett's here at our food co-op first and tried it before ordering any on-line. it seems to me that the herbal formula is a little less smelly and also seems to work better in our hard water.

if i can find a shampoo bar made in austin, tx - that i like the ingredients of - i will start buying them from here.

or i will eventually make my own ;) i have made soap in the past - i was just never too happy with it - LOL

maybe i will try Sappo Hill - what flavors have you tried???
The Sappo Almond, Jasmine, Sandalwood and Aloe are my faves. It is just a basic circular homemade type vegetable soap with the glycerin left in. I have compared it to my other 22 bars and for 1.99 or really any price I have to say that it gives excellent shampoo results. I've used them in Portland's soft water and up at Mt. Hood's well water with the same results. Well water demands an acid rinse though for me.

:cake: Hurray! I hit my 1000th post, um?? I still have to wait 5 months for my year.

Desdemona
March 14th, 2009, 12:08 AM
:cake: Hurray! I hit my 1000th post, um?? I still have to wait 5 months for my year.
I just got my 1000th post recently. It took me almost 5 years. :confused:

ETA: Congratulations, ljkforu!!!!

swirlytresses
March 14th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I really like the CV poo bars. The only other ones I have tried are some from a curly girl at nc.com. I really like the honey butter soap bar, very moisturizing. I love shampoo/soap bars!! I only use an ACV/honey rinse on occasion when I remember and have never had any problems with buildup or waxiness. I have so many that I have still not tried, but I have not found one that I don't really like so far.

ratgirldjh
March 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM
The Sappo Almond, Jasmine, Sandalwood and Aloe are my faves. It is just a basic circular homemade type vegetable soap with the glycerin left in. I have compared it to my other 22 bars and for 1.99 or really any price I have to say that it gives excellent shampoo results. I've used them in Portland's soft water and up at Mt. Hood's well water with the same results. Well water demands an acid rinse though for me.

thanks! i've seen that soap at my grocery store - and i love sandalwood - so i will probably pick some up. right now i'm trying to get soapnut liquid to work for my hair and if it will - consistently - i will use the soapnuts - but i would love to have another easy to find and use option!

Sissy
March 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Out of curiosity, what do people think of CV's herb garden? I really feel like I don't hear much about it at all, despite it being chock full of some of the coolest hair herbs around.

I own a bar of CV's Herb Garden but have honestly not tried it yet. I have tried Cafe Moreno and the moisturizing Marshmallow whatever one. They both make my hair feel very coated/waxy but it does feel better with diluted avc and conditioner rinse. I haven't been able to commit to CV shampoo bars for a week yet. I use one every now and again but have not stuck with it. I'm just not sure if they agree with my hair.

Sissy

Sissy
March 14th, 2009, 09:09 PM
so is the Avocado & Shea bar a "CV" bar also? And what does CV stand for again? :o

CV stands for Chagrin Valley Soaps:
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm

The Avocado and Shea bar is a soap bar of theirs, not a shampoo bar as far as I'm aware. However some people use the soap as shampoo bars with great success and say it is more conditioning than the shampoo bars:
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/soapbars.htm

I tried using one of their soap bars on my hair (Honey Butter Bar) and it didn't work for me.

Aries_jb
March 14th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I loved Shea Rose Clay as a shampoo bar. I love rose scents, so I would follow-up with Goth Rosary's Gothic Rose as a leave-in. I was in heaven! Unfortunately I ran out of the bar too quickly since I was also using it as a body soap, but I definitely plan on buying more in the future.

I finally finished my Nettle shampoo bar and am going to finish up last half of my Carrot, Milk, and Honey shampoo bar. I haven't used this bar in over a year, so I'm interested to see if it works differently now.

xunnie
March 15th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I've read a good chunk of this thread (like a book!) and I'm pretty sure I'm going to give poo bars a try. It might be mentioned and I may have missed it, but has anyone ever given this: a try?

xunnie
March 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I've read a good chunk of this thread (like a book!) and I'm pretty sure I'm going to give poo bars a try. It might be mentioned and I may have missed it, but has anyone ever given this:[/URL] a try?

Guess the link didn't work, here it is: [url]http://www.soapforgoodnesssake.com/ (http://www.soapforgoodnesssake.com/)

MommaRalph
March 15th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I am waiting on a Beer Shampoo bar and a Rosemary Lavendar Conditioning Shampoo bar as well as leave in conditioner from www.bluehousesoaps.com (http://www.bluehousesoaps.com). Any experience with those?

Valerie

Desdemona
March 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Guess the link didn't work, here it is: http://www.soapforgoodnesssake.com/
Oh wow, those soaps and shampoo bars sound fantastic. And no castor oil in the shampoo bars! I hope you try them and let us know how they are!

CopperHead
March 15th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I am waiting on a Beer Shampoo bar and a Rosemary Lavendar Conditioning Shampoo bar as well as leave in conditioner from www.bluehousesoaps.com (http://www.bluehousesoaps.com). Any experience with those?

Valerie

Those scents sound delicious! Cinnamon and Vanilla, Sweet Pea and Violet alone would make me buy these. :) Let us know how they work.

Desdemona
March 15th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Valerie
I haven't tried those, not sure I would like the shampoo bars since they have castor oil but the other soaps look nice. Their sampler sets are awesome too!

Canarygirl
March 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
thanks for posting those links, Sissy. :)

So, the bar I'm tryiing has castor oil in it, but I notice that plenty of people don't like it. Is there a particular hair type that does better with castor oil, or is it just a personal preference?

Desdemona
March 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM
It's hard to find a common thread with the castor oil thing. Lots of people have no problems with it at all. Or it's ok in one vendors shampoo bars and not in others. It's probably a combination of factors, including hair type, body chemistry and water composition (hard or soft, how much of what minerals are in it, artificially softened water, pH), not to mention other things in the shampoo bar and how old the bar is. Very complicated.

ratgirldjh
March 15th, 2009, 06:22 PM
It's hard to find a common thread with the castor oil thing. Lots of people have no problems with it at all. Or it's ok in one vendors shampoo bars and not in others. It's probably a combination of factors, including hair type, body chemistry and water composition (hard or soft, how much of what minerals are in it, artificially softened water, pH), not to mention other things in the shampoo bar and how old the bar is. Very complicated.

the j. r. liggett's has castor oil and most of the time it works for me. i just noticed the 'build up' stuff on my length if i had been using CO for a few times and then used it. by the 2nd time the waxy look went away. i think the castor oil or something may have stuck to the remains of conditioner on my hair!

ratgirldjh
March 15th, 2009, 06:23 PM

ok - i have to ask - have you ever tried the oatmeal cookie one on your hair? i saw it at the store and it smelled wonderful! it does have oatmeal pieces - so i am wondering what it would do on hair?

ljkforu
March 15th, 2009, 07:20 PM
ok - i have to ask - have you ever tried the oatmeal cookie one on your hair? i saw it at the store and it smelled wonderful! it does have oatmeal pieces - so i am wondering what it would do on hair?
Nope :) I stay away from the items that have stuff in them. But if you have been using Indian herbs, I can't imagine that it would be that hard to rinse oatmeal out.

ratgirldjh
March 15th, 2009, 07:25 PM
well i may decide to try it - it sure smells good! and i don't think i would have a problem rinsing it out. i have even tried oatmeal paste to wash my hair when my scalp was giving me a problem- that was hard to wash out - but not impossible - LOL

the only thing i would worry about is the oatmeal soaking up more oil than necessary.

really, the j. r. liggetts works pretty good for me and it is easy to find. the only time i noticed any waxy build up occurring is if ihad been CO and i guess CO was leaving something on my length even though i rinsed and rinsed until my hair felt clean and i thought CO was drying my hair out...

i really want to be able to use soapnuts - hopefully i can get the process down where it has dependable results. but if not - i am happy to know there are lots of soaps and poo bars available to try out ;)

i'll let you know if i decide to try the oatmeal sappo hill on my hair and the results :)

steph in tx
March 15th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Checking in after using my CV bar for the first time today. I decided to try to Mud & Clay one in the hopes to avoid the waxies that my homemade bar gave me. I have to say I'm very impressed! My hair is nice and soft and very full. No static or flyaways. I used an ACV rinse but no conditioner because I wanted to see how my hair did with just the shampoo bar. I can't complain. It wasn't as slippery so it didn't comb out as easily when wet, but it wasn't bad. And because it isn't as slippery my updo is holding better.

My only negative is that the herbal one seems to be triggering my asthma. I'm not sure because it's windy season and I've been having asthma problems anyway, but the other 3 scents I got didn't have that effect, so I'm thinking it's the herb garden soap. I'll save it and try it when the weather has eased up.

Anyway, so far so good with the CV bars. I'm happy. :)

Neoma
March 15th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Checking in after using my CV bar for the first time today. I decided to try to Mud & Clay one in the hopes to avoid the waxies that my homemade bar gave me. I have to say I'm very impressed! My hair is nice and soft and very full. No static or flyaways. I used an ACV rinse but no conditioner because I wanted to see how my hair did with just the shampoo bar. I can't complain. It wasn't as slippery so it didn't comb out as easily when wet, but it wasn't bad. And because it isn't as slippery my updo is holding better.

My only negative is that the herbal one seems to be triggering my asthma. I'm not sure because it's windy season and I've been having asthma problems anyway, but the other 3 scents I got didn't have that effect, so I'm thinking it's the herb garden soap. I'll save it and try it when the weather has eased up.

Anyway, so far so good with the CV bars. I'm happy. :)Wow, it sounds like a great shampoo bar experience, steph. Please keep us posted.

Cantabile
March 15th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I don't have asthma, but for some reason, the Nettle CV bar always makes me sneeze! It'll be fine once it dries, but when I'm in the shower and using it, the scent always makes my nose itch. Odd, hm? :laugh:

steph in tx
March 15th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Ah, I just went back and looked at the ingredients in the Herb Garden CV bar. I didn't realize when I ordered it that it has chamomile in it. That is probably what is triggering my asthma. I've had this problem with chamomile before so I try to avoid it. Sigh... It smells so good, too. Not sure what I'll do with it now. I'd just use it on the kids, but it will still bother my lungs so that's not really an option.

That being said, I'm on the CV site now trying to decide what my next order will consist of. :)

steph in tx
March 15th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I don't have asthma, but for some reason, the Nettle CV bar always makes me sneeze! It'll be fine once it dries, but when I'm in the shower and using it, the scent always makes my nose itch. Odd, hm? :laugh:

Sounds like an allergy to me. Isn't it just poetic that the stuff that is good for our hair isn't good for our respiratory system? Now, for the important question: How is the nettle bar on your hair? :D

Cantabile
March 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Sounds like an allergy to me. Isn't it just poetic that the stuff that is good for our hair isn't good for our respiratory system? Now, for the important question: How is the nettle bar on your hair? :D

Hahaha, not bad actually! I get symptoms of hayfever during the spring when pollen's flying everywhere, but I'm not quite what it is in the nettle bar that's causing all this sneezing. Oh well :p I suppose I'll just have to avoid this bar next time around. :o

ljkforu
March 15th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Ah, I just went back and looked at the ingredients in the Herb Garden CV bar. I didn't realize when I ordered it that it has chamomile in it. That is probably what is triggering my asthma. I've had this problem with chamomile before so I try to avoid it. Sigh... It smells so good, too. Not sure what I'll do with it now. I'd just use it on the kids, but it will still bother my lungs so that's not really an option.

That being said, I'm on the CV site now trying to decide what my next order will consist of. :)
Yeah, I used the VO5 Chamomile conditioner and it made me itch like heck. This being tree pollen season those of us affected we have to be more careful.

SmellyJelly
March 16th, 2009, 11:16 AM
It's my birthday soon and since I have no money right now I am going to ask my family to buy me HARD and GODIVA solid shampoos from Lush. They both contain Camellia Oil (camellia japonica) Has anyone ever used any of these shampoo bars?

Sophie :)

Neoma
March 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I just wanted to report back that I am using shampoo bars again -- Sweet Creek Herbs, specifically -- with great success. I have tried every way possible: no vinegar rinse, with a vinegar rinse, just conditioner, etc.

I finally settled on the following routine...

I shampoo once with my poo bar. I finish with a white vinegar/EO rinse mixed with conditioner. I dip the length of my hair into the container, then dump the contents over my head, finger combing to remove tangles. I clip it up till I finish my showerly duties, then rinse it out.

This routine is giving me the loveliest, most manageable hair... Soft, shiny, full of body and not the least bit dry.

I used to follow this routine a while back (using CV or PLH), but sometimes I forget what works for me. I'm glad that I remembered.

A variation on the theme is to add leave-in conditioner to the vinegar/EO rinse. When I do that, I don't rinse it out. This works very well, too.

I really like the SCH poo bars. They lather beautifully and cleanse very well. I don't even feel that a second lather is necessary; I always did with other shampoo bars.

Carina
March 21st, 2009, 09:43 AM
I have also made the sweet return to poo bars.My hair feels thick and so full of volume.I did rinse with organic acv and followed up with Sante brilliant care conditioner.I just love how much healthier my hair feels now.Great to see that you are using bars again Neoma:waving:

Neoma
March 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
I have also made the sweet return to poo bars.My hair feels thick and so full of volume.I did rinse with organic acv and followed up with Sante brilliant care conditioner.I just love how much healthier my hair feels now.Great to see that you are using bars again Neoma:waving:
Hi Carina:waving:,

Thanks for the warm welcome. :flowers:

I am so glad that I've found a way to get the shine and softness that I was missing while retaining that thickness and volume that you're talking about.

Another thing to report...

Yesterday, for the first time in ages, I actually skipped a day. Yes, I went out into the world with DD1 hair! It looked fine. With my new routine, my hair still looks clean the next day.

janeytilllie
March 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM
Im in love with shampoo bars :) I bought 2 this week :) simplysoaps uk hemp shampoo bar this made my hair very greasy and gave me horrible waxies :( But today I have used my Trevarno rosemary and lavender shampoo bar and my hair feels amazing! :D

I usually use ACV risnes. My ACV is very expensive. So I thougt I would try cheap malt vinager. The reuslt was amazing my hair has bounce and shiney :) So I find malt vinager is better and cheaper:thumbsup:

I have been reading thougth this massive thread, im on page 48 :cheese:

I have been enabled! I really want to try CV shampoo bars :crush: :-

Herb garden
Nettle
Rosemary Lavender Aloe
Rosemary Mint
and Avocado Oats & Shea as a conditoner bar
Has anyone tried these bars? Did anyone get the waxies with them?

I also have a few questions

How big are full sized bars and sample bars?

I live in the uk so shipping will be about £10.00

Has anyone from the uk had any problems with ordering?
Do the sample sizes last a long time?

Thanks every one ;)

Suldrun
March 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Hi all :)

I have not been active here for a while with life and other forums and moving......

But now I need some help please.

I am going away to Miami and on Monday and it looks like it has hard water. I come from an area with pretty soft water. My normal routine is CV bars ( my favs are summer sunshine or chamomile citrus) on my scalp and then a moisturizing one on my length the Olive Babassu one is the one I have used this winter because my hair gets very dry.

I rinse with a very weak vinegar rinse and then use catnip.

I went to Fort Worth TX a few months ago and my hair was horrible HORRIBLE lol!! I used my bars and a strong vinegar rinse and it looked limp and greasy yuck.......I washed it 3 times trying to get it right but nothing worked :(

I am going down to Miami for business. I would prefer to use my bars but I may just bring regular shampoo and conditioner because of my experince with TX water.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making the bars work in Miami, or should I just go back to regular shampoo and conditioner. I would appriciate any help or suggestions :D

TIA

Sul

FrizzBgone
March 21st, 2009, 02:07 PM
I have had great results with almost every natural soap/shampoo bar I have used, but my all-time fave has to be from Afroveda-Carrot & Rice Bran Shampoo Bar

I haven't tried the Herbal Garden bar yet, but I adore all of the AV products I have now...just sharing an ayurvedic bar alternative. :) You can check it out here (http://www.afroveda.com/AV-HAIRCLEANSING.html)....no waxy feel, I don't even need an acv or co rinse with it-just clean, light, healthy hair...Mala is just so sweet, and her customer service is amazing...

I 2nd the recommendation for the Carrot shampoo bar from Afroveda. I've tried a number of shampoo bars and this is by far the best. My hair feels clean and conditioned after I use it. To be safe, I usually spritz some ACV on it before conditioning. This has become the only shampoo bar that I use frequently. Many of the other bars caused my hair colour to lighten. This one doesn't.

Neoma
March 21st, 2009, 06:04 PM
I went to Fort Worth TX a few months ago and my hair was horrible HORRIBLE lol!! I used my bars and a strong vinegar rinse and it looked limp and greasy yuck.......I washed it 3 times trying to get it right but nothing worked :(

I am going down to Miami for business. I would prefer to use my bars but I may just bring regular shampoo and conditioner because of my experince with TX water.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making the bars work in Miami, or should I just go back to regular shampoo and conditioner. I would appriciate any help or suggestions :D

TIA

Sul
Suldrun, I live in an area with relatively soft water. When I visit my nephew in Boston, which has hard water, I always end up resorting to bottled shampoos and conditioner out of desperation.

If I moved to a place with hard water, I suspect I'd find a way to make shampoo bars work for me. But, next time I go to Boston, I think I'll just leave my shampoo bars at home.

I don't know how helpful that is. :shrug:

kwaniesiam
March 21st, 2009, 06:16 PM
Im in love with shampoo bars :) I bought 2 this week :) simplysoaps uk hemp shampoo bar this made my hair very greasy and gave me horrible waxies :( But today I have used my Trevarno rosemary and lavender shampoo bar and my hair feels amazing! :D

I usually use ACV risnes. My ACV is very expensive. So I thougt I would try cheap malt vinager. The reuslt was amazing my hair has bounce and shiney :) So I find malt vinager is better and cheaper:thumbsup:

I have been reading thougth this massive thread, im on page 48 :cheese:

I have been enabled! I really want to try CV shampoo bars :crush: :-

Herb garden
Nettle
Rosemary Lavender Aloe
Rosemary Mint
and Avocado Oats & Shea as a conditoner bar
Has anyone tried these bars? Did anyone get the waxies with them?

I also have a few questions

How big are full sized bars and sample bars?

I live in the uk so shipping will be about £10.00

Has anyone from the uk had any problems with ordering?
Do the sample sizes last a long time?

Thanks every one ;)

Sample sizes last quite a while, IME. I've tried the Nettle and Rosemary Aloe. I hated the nettle, it made my hair waxy and flat, but I adored the Rosemary aloe. Your best bet is to just try out a bunch, and make a large order since shipping seems rather costly. Is there a cheaper way to do it? I'm sure an LHCer over on the swap board might have some samples to send you that didn't work. I just got rid of some or I'd offer :(

Desdemona
March 21st, 2009, 06:47 PM
Suldrun, I live in an area with relatively soft water. When I visit my nephew in Boston, which has hard water, I always end up resorting to bottled shampoos and conditioner out of desperation.

If I moved to a place with hard water, I suspect I'd find a way to make shampoo bars work for me. But, next time I go to Boston, I think I'll just leave my shampoo bars at home.

I don't know how helpful that is. :shrug:
I have to agree with Neoma. I have hard water and it's taken me a lot of experimenting and trying different bars, plus using miracle water (see my signature) to get them to work. It took a long time to get it right! Not something I'd want to undertake on a short trip.

Canarygirl
March 21st, 2009, 06:57 PM
what is it about hard water that makes it more difficult to like shampoo bars?

Desdemona
March 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
They only mention fabrics here (http://www.sdahq.org/cleaning/chemistry/) but the same thing would apply to hair:

Although soap is a good cleaning agent, its effectiveness is reduced when used in hard water. Hardness in water is caused by the presence of mineral salts - mostly those of calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg), but sometimes also iron (Fe) and manganese (Mn). The mineral salts react with soap to form an insoluble precipitate known as soap film or scum.

Soap film does not rinse away easily. It tends to remain behind and produces visible deposits on clothing and makes fabrics feel stiff. It also attaches to the insides of bathtubs, sinks and washing machines.

Some soap is used up by reacting with hard water minerals to form the film. This reduces the amount of soap available for cleaning. Even when clothes are washed in soft water, some hardness minerals are introduced by the soil on clothes. Soap molecules are not very versatile and cannot be adapted to today's variety of fibers, washing temperatures and water conditions.

Suldrun
March 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Neoma and Desdemona thank you both. Yes it is helpful. After reading what you have to say I think it will be easier just to use regular shampoo.

Thanks again for your quick answers..probably saves me a lot of trouble:)

Sul

Neoma
March 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Neoma and Desdemona thank you both. Yes it is helpful. After reading what you have to say I think it will be easier just to use regular shampoo.

Thanks again for your quick answers..probably saves me a lot of trouble:)

Sul
You're welcome, Suldrun. Enjoy your trip. :flower:

Desdemona
March 21st, 2009, 09:24 PM
You're welcome, Sul. Have a great time in Miami!

Moonstruck
March 21st, 2009, 10:58 PM
Haha, speaking of icky gunky hair during travel... I just got back to the Northeast from Miami from a service trip! Just about to pop onto these boards and ask a question.
I visited the beach (duh) while I was down there, and got my hair thoroughly drenched in the ocean. Ever since, it's felt really waxy, sticky, gunky, everything nasty possible. I normally was every other day, but I ended up washing it every day... 2 days just normal 'poo bar usage, 2 days with a bit of BS added in, and today, upon arriving back here, a clarifying liquid shampoo (Redken Cleansing Cream Shampoo) as well as TJ's Nourish Spa conditioner. It HAS gotten progressively less "sticky," most noticeably with the clarifying wash, but parts of the length are still sticky and waxy feeling. I've used an ACV rinse each day (asides from today). Would it be alright for my hair to have a clarifying shampoo applied on its length, so long as I just condition lots afterwards? It looks so silly, sticking to itself all crazily.

Was this all just the effects of the salt water and the minerals inside?! Eep! What do you guys that use poo bars usually do for that?
Also, how do you use BS with a poo bar, really? I just sprinkled a hefty portion on, but it didnt really seem to make sense to me.

janeytilllie
March 22nd, 2009, 04:45 AM
Sample sizes last quite a while, IME. I've tried the Nettle and Rosemary Aloe. I hated the nettle, it made my hair waxy and flat, but I adored the Rosemary aloe. Your best bet is to just try out a bunch, and make a large order since shipping seems rather costly. Is there a cheaper way to do it? I'm sure an LHCer over on the swap board might have some samples to send you that didn't work. I just got rid of some or I'd offer :(

Shipping is very very costly. For me to get the sample bars I want its gonig to cost all together £18.00 :eek:

So I am keeping a close eye on the swap board for good offers, fingers crossed :D I think really it is my best option because I would hate to get the bars my hair didn't like and waste the £18.00. So I need to make sure my hair likes them before I buy.

Thanks for replying :)

Carina
March 22nd, 2009, 05:33 AM
I agree that the shipping can keep you from buying the bars at CV.I like some of them but I prefer to order with a friend so we can split the cost for shipping.But I like the CV bars a lot.Summer sunshine is my HG.

biosail
March 22nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
Hello every one!
I have been reading this thread for a few months now, I started after I bought a Dr.Liggetts shampoo bar and used it for the first time. I thought it was great in the shower, but then when it dried my husband asked me what I did! I spent the rest of the week trying to figure out what to do, thankfully my husband is all about the natural products. Anyway, thanks to this awesome thread I got it all figured out, the CV website helped a lot as well.
I am also excited to admit that I have just ordered every flavor of shampoo bar CV had in stock - 5 and 1 sample! I can't wait!
I have been using Dr.Bronners (bar and liquid), and Dr.Liggetts. Still need to try a shampoo bar from Vermont soap. I have also been using the Dr.bronners shikaikai hair rinse and like it very much, have any of you tried it?
Also, even though I promised my hubby not to screw around with my hair (8mo ago dyed it, it faded looked nasty, then I cut the armpit long hair to my shoulders, and regret ALL of it) I am very interested in henna. Has anyone hennaed their hair and used a shampoo bar???

Isa-belle
March 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Has anyone hennaed their hair and used a shampoo bar???Yes, I believe lots of us have :) Why do you ask?

truepeacenik
March 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
adding to that,
And I hold that one huge difference is WHERE the bar is made. If a bar is made in soft water, it works best with soft water, imh (and partially educated)o.
I live where the water is a calcium supplement, so I look for vendors who have hard water in the area.

nloved
March 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
I get my CV shampoo bars from Sprees!
Basically sprees are online shopping organized as a large group to take advantage of the bulk discount rate or lower shipping costs between countries. It saves quite a bit on shipping costs because a whole lot of us living in the same area usually split the cost of one or two big flat-rate boxes among more than 30 people sometimes, and then the person who organized the spree will mail it out to the rest of us via local mail or meet up. The international shipping costs are divided by the number of bars (in terms of units) that each person orders. It is really helpful and cost-effective, however it may be tough if the spree organizer has bad intentions of wanting to cheat you of your money. Maybe all the UK LHC-ers can organize a spree for CV shampoo bars? Just an idea! Hope it helps the international poo bar fans reading this ^^

BTW, I just tried using CV Rosemary Mint poo bar today and I love it! I'm not generally a fan of mint, but the minty scent is pretty subtle. In fact I think it smells great and gives my scalp a relaxing and cool feeling!

Ruka
March 22nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
has anyone tried mehandi shampoo bars?
I really want to buy the one for dry scalp/dandruff.

biosail
March 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Isa-belle,
I am happy to hear that henna and shampoo bars work together! I am thinking about hennaing my hair, but nothing that I have read on the henna post (I have not read the whole thing) or the internet have mentioned shampoo bars. (I don't seem to be good at searching this post)
I guess I am trying to see if henna will fit my life style - not giving up the shampoo bar. I suppose the next step is to decide if the henna will look good on my hair.

biosail
March 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Isa-belle,
I also meant to say thank you for your reply!

Isa-belle
March 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Isa-belle,
I am happy to hear that henna and shampoo bars work together! I am thinking about hennaing my hair, but nothing that I have read on the henna post (I have not read the whole thing) or the internet have mentioned shampoo bars. (I don't seem to be good at searching this post)
I guess I am trying to see if henna will fit my life style - not giving up the shampoo bar. I suppose the next step is to decide if the henna will look good on my hair.(OT: I know that taking the henna plunge isn't always an easy decision to make, especially if your hair is on the fair side as this will be quite a commitment :) I know I've never regretted starting henna (best thing that happened to my hair!) but my hair is dark to start with, so the colour was less of a big deal. Take your time to think it over :flower:)

As for shampoo bars, I've seen several hennaheads posting here, so there isn't any problem that I know of. I for one I haven't had any. :) Last time I hennaed, I added indigo to my mix and my soap suds did turn out a bit blue in the next wash, but I'm not sure it really washed the indigo out. At any rate I haven't had any colour bleeding or fading with straight henna.

It's true this thread isn't the easiest to search through - it's so chock-full of information! :) you can search an individual thread on this forum, which I find is tremendously helpful.

Neoma
March 22nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
I have been using Dr.Bronners (bar and liquid), and Dr.Liggetts. Still need to try a shampoo bar from Vermont soap. I have also been using the Dr.bronners shikaikai hair rinse and like it very much, have any of you tried it?
biosail, I am very curious about Dr. Bronner's Shikaikai hair rinse, because it is especially formulated to work with shampoo bars. I've read some pretty scathing reviews, but they seemed to have been written by people who didn't like the "hassle" of mixing the conditioner with water.

Does it provide a lot of slip? Does it detangle well? Do you use any other conditioner or leave-in with it?

:flower:

biosail
March 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
Neoma,
My personal experience with the Dr.Bronners rinse has been positive. I have read many reviews and I will address the concerns I have seen: The color of the stuff is brown and muddy, not the pearly white stuff people are used to, the smell is very citrusy when in the bottle, but I dilute it so much that it really has almost no smell, many complain about the pain of mixing it everyday – but I just mix it up when ever I use up what I mix in an old shampoo bottle, about every 4 days or so. It takes ten seconds.
As for the slip, I am not sure, I was using redken products before I found out how bad they are for the world and everything in it, so compared to that it’s not slippy. BUT, I have no problem brushing out my arm pit long hair before I cut it , it ends up shiny and manageable. As for adding anything else in after… I am still trying to find what works. I have been trying to use coconut oil, and sometimes the Dr.Bronner’s leave in, but I haven’t quite gotten it all figured out yet. My hair is also medium on the fine side.
Unfortunately the Bronners soap bars are drying for my hair right now.
I hope that helps answer your questions,
Biosail

Neoma
March 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Neoma,
My personal experience with the Dr.Bronners rinse has been positive. I have read many reviews and I will address the concerns I have seen: The color of the stuff is brown and muddy, not the pearly white stuff people are used to, the smell is very citrusy when in the bottle, but I dilute it so much that it really has almost no smell, many complain about the pain of mixing it everyday – but I just mix it up when ever I use up what I mix in an old shampoo bottle, about every 4 days or so. It takes ten seconds.
As for the slip, I am not sure, I was using redken products before I found out how bad they are for the world and everything in it, so compared to that it’s not slippy. BUT, I have no problem brushing out my arm pit long hair before I cut it , it ends up shiny and manageable. As for adding anything else in after… I am still trying to find what works. I have been trying to use coconut oil, and sometimes the Dr.Bronner’s leave in, but I haven’t quite gotten it all figured out yet. My hair is also medium on the fine side.
Biosail
Thank you for your feedback on this product, biosail. :flower:

I'll probably end up trying this product at some point.

ljkforu
March 22nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
has anyone tried mehandi shampoo bars?
I really want to buy the one for dry scalp/dandruff.
Ruka, do a search. I'm afraid that most have not liked them though I personally haven't tried.

Since you are so new, look up at the top and see where it says search thread. Put in Mehndi and it will show you what everyone has said.

:cake: Welcome!!!!

ljkforu
March 22nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
Thank you for your feedback on this product, biosail. :flower:

I'll probably end up trying this product at some point.
I like my Bronner's bars every two weeks or so to deep clean, or on day I wake up with greasy hair. The rest of the time I use CV Soap or local soaps.

ljkforu
March 22nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Isa-belle,
I guess I am trying to see if henna will fit my life style - not giving up the shampoo bar. I suppose the next step is to decide if the henna will look good on my hair.
um? Biosail join the Henna Heads Social Group and ask for input. Private Message me if you have trouble.

biosail
March 23rd, 2009, 08:43 AM
How do I join the henna heads social group?

By the way you all have such beautiful hair!!! And awsome ways of putting it up, now I wish I had not cut off the 8 inches that I did, even if it was all damaged I could have just tied it up!

Ruka
March 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Ruka, do a search. I'm afraid that most have not liked them though I personally haven't tried.

Since you are so new, look up at the top and see where it says search thread. Put in Mehndi and it will show you what everyone has said.

:cake: Welcome!!!!

thanks for the reply. :cheese:
I think I've changed my mind for now.. and will instead try the CV bars. much cheaper to mehandi's..
atleast for now until i have more money to experiment =P

Canarygirl
March 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
So far I have tried two Mehandi bars (the zizyphus/juniper bar and the shea/ylang-ylang bar), and one CV bar (citrus camomile). I liked the scent and the nice lather of the CV bar compared to the Mehandi bars. Also, I thought my hair was a bit more shiny after the CV bar...not sure but maybe the CV bars have less castor oil in them? I still feel the need to clean my hair more frequently after using a shampoo bar compared to using a detergent-based shampoo....I probably haven't found the correct routine yet with ACV rinse, etc.

And I hold that one huge difference is WHERE the bar is made. If a bar is made in soft water, it works best with soft water, imh (and partially educated)o.
I live where the water is a calcium supplement, so I look for vendors who have hard water in the area.

This is an interesting theory. I think the water in my area is fairly soft (the TDS reading is about 35 on our water). Does anyone have a good guess as to the hardness/softness factor on the water where CV bars are made?

Desdemona
March 23rd, 2009, 10:20 AM
It would be best to ask the makers of the shampoo bars about the water they use to make their soap. They could be using distilled water or they might have a water softener.

princess
March 23rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Can I aska dumb question? I have never seen a shampoo bar on the shelf of a drug store. Do you have to order them from the chagrin valley site? Is it available in health stores?

gmdiaz
March 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
I just ordered some shampoo and face bars from Chagrin Valley & also from Sweet Creek Herbs! I sort of went nuts. *sheepish grin*

I can't wait to try them out. . .and will report my findings.

From CV: Extra Honey Beer and Egg, Summer Sunshine, Avocado Oats and Shea, Citrus Woods Green Tea.

From SCH: Silk bar with marshmallow root, silk bar with green herbal, lavendar shea. . oh and some cuticle care cream and sample size of the Memu oil.

muh ha ha

ratgirldjh
March 23rd, 2009, 10:54 AM
hey all you shampoo bar users!
do any of you think poo bars make your waves wavier?
just wondering
how does it compare to CO and waves?

Ruka
March 23rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
I just ordered some shampoo and face bars from Chagrin Valley & also from Sweet Creek Herbs! I sort of went nuts. *sheepish grin*

From CV: Extra Honey Beer and Egg, Summer Sunshine, Avocado Oats and Shea, Citrus Woods Green Tea.

From SCH: Silk bar with marshmallow root, silk bar with green herbal, lavendar shea. . oh and some cuticle care cream and sample size of the Memu oil.

muh ha ha

nice! i'm going to order from chagrin valley soon too, hopefully today or tomorrow. =] their site is really informative too ~

biosail
March 23rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
yeah, after I switched to poo bars my hair seemed to be more wavy. Although I think there is a difference between different bars. I have fine hair and dr.bronners soaps all leave my hair flat and they are good for washing out my attempts to oil my hair, where as dr.liggetts shampoo bars leave my hair rather softer and not so dry but take forever to wash out oil. I am about to try the CV bars, and one from vermont soap.

gmdiaz
March 23rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
nice! i'm going to order from chagrin valley soon too, hopefully today or tomorrow. =] their site is really informative too ~

I LOVE handmade soaps and have never tried shampoo bars. I am so excited to get my boxes of goodies.

What are you going to order? We'll have to compare notes.

Oh one other thing I ordered was their gift set of two bars on a soap dish. For those I ordered face bars.

I sure DO hope these bars will add more waves or curls. I often get better curls the more moisturized my hair is. Crossing my fingers.

Ruka
March 23rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
I LOVE handmade soaps and have never tried shampoo bars. I am so excited to get my boxes of goodies.

What are you going to order? We'll have to compare notes.

Oh one other thing I ordered was their gift set of two bars on a soap dish. For those I ordered face bars.

I sure DO hope these bars will add more waves or curls. I often get better curls the more moisturized my hair is. Crossing my fingers.

yeah, i've never tried shampoo bars either. i'm really excited!

I am going to buy the herb garden shampoo, and one of those little mesh bags. and next paycheck, i wanna get cafe moreno & the beer, milk & egg. actually.. i want them all! i'm really happy they're at a reasonable price too. =O

hope you enjoy yous!~ =] :p

Neoma
March 23rd, 2009, 08:04 PM

muh ha haWow, gmdiaz, you orders lots of lovely bars.

My favorite CV bar from the batch you ordered is Summer Sunshine. The fragrance makes me very happy.

I haven't tried all of the SCH bars, yet, but I am absolutely in love with the marshmallow root one. I have the scented marshmallow root, and it smells absolutely divine.

Please let us know how you like the Memu oil. I want to order that the next time.

Ruka
March 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
oops, i meant beer, honey & egg. =/

gmdiaz
March 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
yeah, i've never tried shampoo bars either. i'm really excited!

I am going to buy the herb garden shampoo, and one of those little mesh bags. and next paycheck, i wanna get cafe moreno & the beer, milk & egg. actually.. i want them all! i'm really happy they're at a reasonable price too. =O

hope you enjoy yous!~ =] :p

I had a really hard time deciding which ones to get. I bet the Herb Garden shampoo smells so clean! Those little mesh bags are great! I think the cafe moreno looks very interesting too. . .should be great for dark hair.

I am going to keep meticulous records. . .I want my hair to be its best this year. . .if I am going to get it to grow longer than it's ever been. I am soooo on the job. :cheese:

Can't wait to hear what you think about your haul!

gmdiaz
March 23rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
Wow, Midas, you orders lots of lovely bars.

My favorite CV bar from the batch you ordered is Summer Sunshine. The fragrance makes me very happy.

I haven't tried all of the SCH bars, yet, but I am absolutely in love with the marshmallow root one. I have the scented marshmallow root, and it smells absolutely divine.

Please let us know how you like the Memu oil. I want to order that the next time.

I went crazy. . .it's going to be hard to only use one at a time, experimenting, writing up my results, before allowing myself to move to the next one. I am very disciplined about my obsessions. roflolol I can't wait to contrast and compare.

The Me mu oil looked interesting! I am curious about it too. Will let you know what I find.

Neoma
March 23rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
I went crazy. . .it's going to be hard to only use one at a time, experimenting, writing up my results, before allowing myself to move to the next one. I am very disciplined about my obsessions. roflolol I can't wait to contrast and compare.

The Me mu oil looked interesting! I am curious about it too. Will let you know what I find.
Ha! Talk about disciplined... I am keeping a spreadsheet for my SCH bars -- which bars I like best, which routines work best for me. :silly:

gmdiaz
March 23rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Ha! Talk about disciplined... I am keeping a spreadsheet for my SCH bars -- which bars I like best, which routines work best for me. :silly:

That's what I was going to do!

I will not remember what combo worked and why in just a few short months. The more things I try, the more murky my memory and recall gets.

Gotta keep focused on making one change at a time. . .seeing what happens and why.

It's gonna be so much fun. lol

ljkforu
March 23rd, 2009, 10:19 PM

Ruka, put in something that resembles your real location if you don't mind. Everyones water differs. Some of us like CV Poo bars and some myself included prefer their CV soap bar (I have really good soft water.)

Ruka
March 24th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I had a really hard time deciding which ones to get. I bet the Herb Garden shampoo smells so clean! Those little mesh bags are great! I think the cafe moreno looks very interesting too. . .should be great for dark hair.

I am going to keep meticulous records. . .I want my hair to be its best this year. . .if I am going to get it to grow longer than it's ever been. I am soooo on the job. :cheese:

Can't wait to hear what you think about your haul!

yeah, it took me forever to decide which one would be best for me. i decided on the herb garden one because it was a recommendation for dandruff - mine is really stubborn & I don't want to use any chemical based shampoos.. =/ so hopefully this works - if not, there's a few others on CV that are good for dandruff too. i'm not giving up until i get rid of it.

me too. i'm gonna keep a little hair journal & write down what works & what doesn't everyday. =]

ljkforu- you're lucky - where do you live?
I am a little worried about my water situation - the water in NM isn't very soft - and I'm moving there in a couple days. but i am gonna buy a shower filter soon - until I was thinking of following the recommendation someone sent Ida to on her site. buying filtered water & using that to rinse your hair in the shower?

steph in tx
March 24th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Ruka, I live 40 minutes from NM and we have very similar water. My experience with CV bars has been very positive. So far I've tried Mud & Clay, Herb Garden, Cafe Moreno and Marshmallow Babassu. The last 2 give me a tiny bit if waxy feeling, but the first 2 work really well. Mud & Clay is my favorite. It rinses very clean. I do follow with an ACV rinse. HTH you with your decision.

Ruka
March 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM
steph, i'm glad you like your CV bars! i hope my experience with them is positive too.
so you just use acv after you rinse the shampoo out? or do you have a water filter/softener too?

i have tried acv but it dries my hair out & makes it greasy at the same time, but i haven't experimented around too much with the ratios so that is probably why.

steph in tx
March 24th, 2009, 11:13 AM
No water softener here, and we only use a filter for drinking water. For me, with ACV less is more. I was just using regular tap water, but found I like using distilled water in the ACV rinse. I have a ketchup-type bottle that I got in the housewares section of Walmart. I put in 1 teaspoon ACV and fill the rest with distilled water. It's probably 12 oz or so. Experiment with the ratios. I had thje same dry/greasy feeling with ACV with a stronger solution.

I should mention that I sometimes use catnip in place of the ACV. Maybe that would work for you.

Ruka
March 24th, 2009, 01:08 PM
^thanks for the suggestions. I'll try playing around with the acv a little more and see what happens. if that doesn't work, I might try the catnip thing..

what kind of acv do you use? I buy the great value acv from walmart.. diluted with water to 5% acidity. not sure if using organic acv makes much of a difference or not.

steph in tx
March 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I just use the grat value one too. I've never tried the organic stuff. I bet it's nicer, but I couldn't afford it to try. I really think the trick is in finding the right dilution for your hair and water conditions. The catnip is really nice. It doesn't give you that crispy/greasy sensation. It's a nice balance. I just don't always have the time to do a thorough catnip treatment so I resort to the ACV rinse.

Desdemona
March 24th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Just so you guys know, the cheap ACV is not really apple cider vinegar. It's distilled white vinegar with coloring and apple cider flavor added. Real ACV is fermented from apples. It is usually sold unfiltered and unpastuerized, with the mother. Fake ACV has none of the health benefits of real ACV, but it is acidic so works fine for hair. If you don't want the coloring from the fake ACV, white vinegar will do just as well. If you want all the health benefits, you have to pay for the good stuff!

steph in tx
March 24th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks, Desdemona! That's good to know. I may have to buy some of the good stuff to see if it makes a difference.

Desdemona
March 24th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I don't know if it will make a difference to your hair, steph in tx, but your scalp may like it better, mine does. And the real ACV is good to take internally.

Ruka
March 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM
hmm.. interesting. maybe i'll just try white vinegar for my hair.. and organic acv to take internally. i've been wanting to do that for a while. ^^

ratgirldjh
March 24th, 2009, 05:00 PM
hmm.. interesting. maybe i'll just try white vinegar for my hair.. and organic acv to take internally. i've been wanting to do that for a while. ^^

lime or lemon juice work well as rinses too.

ratgirldjh
March 24th, 2009, 05:02 PM
^thanks for the suggestions. I'll try playing around with the acv a little more and see what happens. if that doesn't work, I might try the catnip thing..

what kind of acv do you use? I buy the great value acv from walmart.. diluted with water to 5% acidity. not sure if using organic acv makes much of a difference or not.

we have pretty hard chlorinated water were i live and i have the best luck with the organic ACV but very diluted. i use 1 teaspoon for 32 ounces of water and after i rinse the poo bar suds out well - i first dunk my ends and then pour the whole bottle all over my head and then wait a minute and then rinse, rinse, rinse with cold water.
if i use more ACV than this - my hair gets sort of crunchy

btw - the cap of the 16 ounce size of ACV is exactly 1 teaspoon

SeaPhoenix
March 24th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I'm still going strong with the shampoo bars - and have found that with the use of the strawberry suave conditioner, I need no citric acid rinse or vinegar, and my hair comes out wonderfully smooth and shiny, without being flat. Plus, no eczema outbreaks using the suave conditioner so far. :-)
I'm almost out of my egg nog spice CV soap bar though, which sucs, since it was seasonal. I really want to find another soap bar that works as well as that one for shampoo!

Neoma
March 24th, 2009, 06:49 PM
That's what I was going to do!

I will not remember what combo worked and why in just a few short months. The more things I try, the more murky my memory and recall gets.

Gotta keep focused on making one change at a time. . .seeing what happens and why.

It's gonna be so much fun. lolIt's good to know that I'm not the only person who does things like this!

Enjoy! I'm looking forward to hearing about your results.

Rini
March 25th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Hello shampoo bar girls!! :D I'm a shampoo bar newbie (although NOT a LHC newbie).

I'm using bars made by Beauty and the Bees (an Australian company) and my first kind is a Beer and Honey one. I have been lathering twice in the shower, then finishing with a leave-in herbal ACV rinse (also supplied by Beauty and the Bees). I must say.....I am experiencing some transitioning :(

My hair overall is doing OK, but feels kinda waxy/sticky and a bit dry. I don't think it's a clarifying issue as I did a big clarify before I started with the bars. It feels the worst in the shower right before I put the ACV rinse through. I wonder if it's hard water? :confused:

Anyway, just wanted to share and see if anyone else had this when first starting with shampoo bars. How long did it last?

Ruka
March 25th, 2009, 10:48 AM
hmm.. it could very well be hard water. do you know how hard it might possibly be in your area?
my first shampoo bar is on the way so I can't really say too much about it.. =/ i'm a newbie with them too.
there's a suggestion on the CV site that a customer made, take a look at it http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/hardwater.htm it's near the bottom after the paragraph "what can we do?"

the whole page might be of help to you. dunno~ ^^ good luck!

biosail
March 25th, 2009, 01:52 PM
"
Biosail"I need to add to this review. I use the rinse at a more dilute level than what is suggested on the bottle. To be honest since I don't know much about citric acid rinses I was afraid it would lighten my hair. Anyway, today I used the brown stuff at the suggested dilution - 1 cap to 1 cup - and yes my hair was nice and slippy, easy to comb through with a wide tooth comb, and once it dried it was nice, soft, and shiny.

I received my CV bars today, and I can't wait to use them tomorrow morning!

Ruka
March 25th, 2009, 03:13 PM
oh, sweet! let us know what you think of them, k? =]

manderly
March 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hello shampoo bar girls!! :D I'm a shampoo bar newbie (although NOT a LHC newbie).

I'm using bars made by Beauty and the Bees (an Australian company) and my first kind is a Beer and Honey one. I have been lathering twice in the shower, then finishing with a leave-in herbal ACV rinse (also supplied by Beauty and the Bees). I must say.....I am experiencing some transitioning :(

My hair overall is doing OK, but feels kinda waxy/sticky and a bit dry. I don't think it's a clarifying issue as I did a big clarify before I started with the bars. It feels the worst in the shower right before I put the ACV rinse through. I wonder if it's hard water? :confused:

Anyway, just wanted to share and see if anyone else had this when first starting with shampoo bars. How long did it last?

Hi Rini, welcome to the world of poo bars! This may take a bit of experimenting on your part before you decide to love em or leave em.

Are you getting lather with your second soaping?
I get a thick headfull of lather like one would expect from SLS poos. If you're not getting a good lather, do one more (for a total of 3).

What is the ratio of your rinse?
You may want to play with this. Try a little more your next wash. Your hair will feel "greasy" in a weird way when you've reached the "too much" point. I think my rinse is stronger than most people's.

Do you use any conditioner?
You might want to try a conditioner afterwards. I use Suave (I've just flipped back to cones recently though). A squirt of suave in the rinse water with the acv, then a regular amount after the rinse. Rinse all that out. I like conditioner. I would never think to go without it. We're like peas and carrots. :D

Is the bar you're using more moisturizing by the seller's standards?
If so, you may want to start with a lighter bar. A good starting bar from CV (I'm sure you can find an equivalent in the Aussie market) would be Herb Garden or Summer Sunshine. Those are far to drying for me now, but I've been using poo bars for about a year and they worked better than the moisturizing one I'm using now. My hair has decided it likes way more moisture than it did in the beginning. Excess moisture in the bars leads to waxiness.

Those are a few thoughts to hopefully get you going with your bars. Good luck :D

EtherealJane
March 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I've seen a few people mention using CV soaps instead of their poo bars, I think because of the castor oil content. Can anyone elaborate on their reasons for doing so? If you use CV soaps instead of poo bars on your hair, would you mind letting me know why you prefer it? Thanks :D

manderly
March 25th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I've seen a few people mention using CV soaps instead of their poo bars, I think because of the castor oil content. Can anyone elaborate on their reasons for doing so? If you use CV soaps instead of poo bars on your hair, would you mind letting me know why you prefer it? Thanks :D

I believe it's simply a matter of preference. Some people's hair doesn't react well with the castor oil, but does well with other oils :)

I'm sure others will chime in.

Neoma
March 25th, 2009, 06:18 PM
"I need to add to this review. I use the rinse at a more dilute level than what is suggested on the bottle. To be honest since I don't know much about citric acid rinses I was afraid it would lighten my hair. Anyway, today I used the brown stuff at the suggested dilution - 1 cap to 1 cup - and yes my hair was nice and slippy, easy to comb through with a wide tooth comb, and once it dried it was nice, soft, and shiny.

I received my CV bars today, and I can't wait to use them tomorrow morning!Thank you for this update, biosail. :flower: After hearing that you got some serious slip, I've definitely got to get a bottle of this.

ratgirldjh
March 25th, 2009, 06:38 PM
well i finally caved and ordered summer sunshine from CV. i hope it isn't too drying for my hair but they were out of cafe moreno and i really liked the ingredients in summer sunshine. j. r. liggetts works very well on my hair - and so do some herbal soap bars - so maybe the summer sunshine will be a little more moisturizing than them... what do you guys think? good first choice?

ratgirldjh
March 25th, 2009, 06:57 PM
This is an interesting theory. I think the water in my area is fairly soft (the TDS reading is about 35 on our water). Does anyone have a good guess as to the hardness/softness factor on the water where CV bars are made?[/quote]

don't the CV bars have rainwater in them?

EtherealJane
March 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM
don't the CV bars have rainwater in them?

I believe so. I was just scrutinizing their ingredients list, and most do list 'rain water.'

longhairedfairy
March 25th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I have some of this stuff and it's easy to use. Do you think it could be used to make a shampoo bar? It is actually a soap, not just glycerin:

http://www.craftsetc.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=36838&dep=50&cat=50&subcat=10&Search=Y

Ingredients: water, propylene glucol, stearic acid, glycerin, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium hydroxide, myristic acid, sugar, isopropyl alcohol, dipropylene glycol, titanium dioxide (in opaque soap only)

Alia
March 25th, 2009, 08:59 PM
This is an interesting theory. I think the water in my area is fairly soft (the TDS reading is about 35 on our water). Does anyone have a good guess as to the hardness/softness factor on the water where CV bars are made?

Chagrin Valley in in the Cleveland area, and water could hardly get any harder ;). The ingredients list rainwater, instead of the bricks that come out of their faucet.

biosail
March 25th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Neoma,

Thank you for this update, biosail. After hearing that you got some serious slip, I've definitely got to get a bottle of this.

Let me know what you think, I after all am very new to this wonderful world of shampoo bars, and that of great hair. I spent years wishing I new about all this stuff.

biosail
March 26th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I just used my first CV bar! Rosemary Mint
I can just tell today will be a great day... it's the little things that do it for me :)

My hair is still wet so I have yet to see if anything is that different.

I have a question about hair rinses. Many of you say you do a vinegar rinse, which I have done both ACV and WV, and yes the smell goes away. But many of you have posted that you put drops of essential oil in. I tried it when I first switched to poo bars and it left my hair with greasy streaks. I have figured out how to add coconut oil to my hair to make it shiny and soft but I don't know how to make my hair smell good.
If anyone knows how to make hair smell divine, please let me know!
If there isn't away, that's ok... I would rather be environmentally sound and not use the fake bad for you synthetics.

biosail
March 26th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Yeah!!!! My status is now a member!!!!

Rini
March 26th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Hi Manderly!! :waving:

Thanks so much for your thoughts on my waxy hair.

Yes, I AM getting lather from the second (and first to some extent) soaping. Perhaps it is not enough lathering though? I will try a third soaping tonight.

I use about 3 tablespoons of the herbed vinegar to 1 litre of filtered water. I will try less.

I'm not using any conditioner. Actually, I'm quite fascinated by the idea that I could go without conditioner! My hair is quite soft and not tangly, so I'm quite keen to continue conditioner-free if I can. But once again, who knows?

I think the bar I'm using is moisturising, but I need moisturising as I have some damage in the lengths from the henna removal saga. I also have their Chamomile and their Australian Hemp Seed bars which I'm planning to try out soon. Go here to see: http://www.beebeauty.com/12-shampoobar.html

I know that the water here in Adelaide is hard, so I was thinking of mixing up some Miracle Water and using that to see if there is a difference (however, it does seem like quite alot of trouble to do this and wash with it every time and frankly I'm not sure I want to have a complicated routine. Lazy, I know!)

So I'll try again tonight and see what happens :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your input :flowers:

ljkforu
March 27th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Rini, whatever animal that is in your picture is soooo cute! I want one.

I have had stunning results with using Vitamin C crystals instead of ACV or citric acid.

Kimberly
March 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I have a question about hair rinses. Many of you say you do a vinegar rinse, which I have done both ACV and WV, and yes the smell goes away. But many of you have posted that you put drops of essential oil in. I tried it when I first switched to poo bars and it left my hair with greasy streaks. I have figured out how to add coconut oil to my hair to make it shiny and soft but I don't know how to make my hair smell good.
If anyone knows how to make hair smell divine, please let me know!
If there isn't away, that's ok... I would rather be environmentally sound and not use the fake bad for you synthetics.

Try steeping herbs, like rosemary or lavender, in the vinegar. It will pick up their scent and infuse it into your hair when you use it to rinse. It takes a while to make the vinegar mix strong enough . . . at least a few days, and longer is better.

Rini
March 28th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Rini, whatever animal that is in your picture is soooo cute! I want one.

I have had stunning results with using Vitamin C crystals instead of ACV or citric acid.

That was my possum Charlie when he was a baby. He was VERY cute. We had him for a number of years before he died of old age. Such a lovely little boy :)

(he was an Australian Brush Tail possum btw)

Anyway, I washed again today and did 3 lathers this time. I also reduced the vinegar in the rinse to 2 tablespoons in 1 litre. My hair looks and feels really nice when dry, however I'm still getting this really tacky/sticky feeling in the shower right before I do the vinegar rinse. It really feels awful at that point. Is that normal???

Cantabile
March 28th, 2009, 02:03 AM
@Rini, I get that too, and it's normal. The reason, as far as I can figure out is that - the shampoo bars, and shampoo in general are normally basic, and will lift/open your hair follicles. Before you apply an acidic rinse to your hair, your hair follicles are going to be open, and that's what creating that texture you described. Some people seem to be able to avoid using an ACV/citric acid rinse though, and I suppose that may because they're rinsing with cold water? or have slightly acidic water? No idea :grin:

manderly
March 28th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Yeah, the tacky feeling is pretty normal. It's way less noticeable to me now than it was early on, but it's still there until I use a vinegar rinse or apply my condish :)

Still better than the dry matte SLS leaves me. I hate when I clarify now.....sqidgy!

ratgirldjh
March 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM
well i got my summer sunshine bar today! very fast delivery! it sort of smells like citronella to me. i haven't used it yet. i will and then report back ;)

Aries_jb
March 28th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I've been using my CV Carrot, Millk, and Honey shampoo bar with pretty good results. The bar itself is over a year old and it has such a nice, creamy lather with very little effort. I was worried it might weigh down my hair, but so far I've only had soft, mositurized curls. After using the herby Nettle bar for so long, it's nice to have something that has such a nice softly sweet smell for spring.

gmdiaz
March 28th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Just a quick update:

I love Sweet Creek Herbs
Memu oil!
Get the sample size first though, to see how your skin reacts to it. It goes on very oily but absorbs quickly. It leaves your skin super super soft. I washed with the Oatmeal Honey Soap and then appled a thin layer over my whole face and especially around my eyes.

Sweet Creek Herbs
Oatmeal Honey Buttermilk Face Soap.
Very nice, mild soap that isn't too drying. Hasn't caused any breakouts.

Sweet Creek Herbs
Marshmallow Root Shampoo Bar With Silk
Does a great job of cleaning without much lathering. I am not loving the crinkly waxy tangly hair I get after rinsing it out though. So I rinsed extra and then applied my usual conditioner. Still felt way too tangly but my hair dried really soft.

I didn't use any cider rinses. And I'll have to try that I guess. I am sure we have very hard water. I live in the rocky mountaiins our house sits solidly on decomposed granite. We have well water only. I bring gallon jugs of water home from work, with my boss's okay, where we have a reverse osmosis water fountain. I use that water for my orchid collection. They can't take the minerals either. So I'll try that on my hair as a rinse and let you know how that goes.

All the soaps are BEAUTUFUL and smell great but I keep asking myself: Wouldn't it be better to just use a good shampoo and conditioner? That doesn't make my hair feel icky during the washing process??

Neoma
March 28th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Just a quick update:

I love Sweet Creek Herbs
Memu oil!
Get the sample size first though, to see how your skin reacts to it. It goes on very oily but absorbs quickly. It leaves your skin super super soft. I washed with the Oatmeal Honey Soap and then appled a thin layer over my whole face and especially around my eyes.

Sweet Creek Herbs
Oatmeal Honey Buttermilk Face Soap.
Very nice, mild soap that isn't too drying. Hasn't caused any breakouts.

Sweet Creek Herbs
Marshmallow Root Shampoo Bar With Silk
Does a great job of cleaning without much lathering. I am not loving the crinkly waxy tangly hair I get after rinsing it out though. So I rinsed extra and then applied my usual conditioner. Still felt way too tangly but my hair dried really soft.

I didn't use any cider rinses. And I'll have to try that I guess. I am sure we have very hard water. I live in the rocky mountaiins our house sits solidly on decomposed granite. We have well water only. I bring gallon jugs of water home from work, with my boss's okay, where we have a reverse osmosis water fountain. I use that water for my orchid collection. They can't take the minerals either. So I'll try that on my hair as a rinse and let you know how that goes.

All the soaps are BEAUTUFUL and smell great but I keep asking myself: Wouldn't it be better to just use a good shampoo and conditioner? That doesn't make my hair feel icky during the washing process??
Thank you for the review on the MeMu Oil. I really want to try that.

I have relatively soft water, and shampoo bars don't work for me unless I use an acid rinse (vinegar, citric acid, etc.). It really makes a world of difference.

You may ultimately decide that using a good shampoo and conditioner is the perfect routine for you. I keep going back to shampoo bars because they're simple, natural, don't feel stripping and create the perfect texture for updos. :flower:

Stelmaria
March 28th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I'm just about to place my first order for a CV shampoo bar. But I'm not sure which is the most moisturizing for dry hair. Olive Babassu seems the most likely. Which would you recommend for dry hair?

manderly
March 28th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I'm just about to place my first order for a CV shampoo bar. But I'm not sure which is the most moisturizing for dry hair. Olive Babassu seems the most likely. Which would you recommend for dry hair?

A good bar for dry hair, but not always the best if you're a poo bar beginner.

I would recommend your first order consist of samples of many bars, instead of 1 or 2 fullsize bars.

Get some of the lighter ones and some of the more moisturizing ones. Start with the lighter, then work your way up to the moisturizing ones. Once you know what your hair likes, order the full bars :)

P.S. Don't write off a bar as "not working" for your hair on the first few tries. Once your hair transitions and gets used to the new bars, order another round of samples and re-test. Then you have a really good idea of what your hair likes (I hated the olive & babassu the first FEW times I tried it, it's now my tried and true bar :))

ratgirldjh
March 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
ok - i used my summer sunshine and my hair is finally dry...
so far i can't tell much difference between this one and the j.r. liggett's herbal formula. - my hair seemed a little harder to brush when it was finally dry - but it may have been because i went outside and it was windy.
my hair is soft and smooth and definitely NOT waxy. but then i have never had the waxy problem even if i use coconut oil soap - so it may be my water works pretty good for poo bars. i did a very diulte ACV rinse.
i guess the real test will be in the morning when i wake up! my hair always looks better the second day - no matter what my cleaning method.

Stelmaria
March 28th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks Manderly! I almost made the mistake of buying just one full-size bar.

kwaniesiam
March 29th, 2009, 12:10 AM

Yep, definitely go the way of samples. It took me two rounds of buying samples to settle on some I really loved but it was worth it. My hair has never felt and looked better. Usually I compromise, either it looks or feels nice, but now I can enjoy both at once :D The sample bars are a lot bigger than you'd think, I always cut mine in at least half if not 3-4 pieces so they last even longer. One sample gets me through almost a month of daily washings.

Right now what works for me is the neem and tea tree and the lavender rosemary aloe bars. The more moisturizing ones seem to make my hair feel gross :ponder: Any ideas why? I love the babasu bar I have, it smells amazing and feels great when lathering, but my hair hates it :(

Also, I noticed that when wet with CV bars, how it feels is going to be total opposite when dry for me. If my hair feels nice, I can almost guarantee its going to be waxy and gross when dry but if it feels dry and stripped its soft and smooth later :ponder:

Isa-belle
March 29th, 2009, 02:19 AM
A good bar for dry hair, but not always the best if you're a poo bar beginner.

I would recommend your first order consist of samples of many bars, instead of 1 or 2 fullsize bars.

Get some of the lighter ones and some of the more moisturizing ones. Start with the lighter, then work your way up to the moisturizing ones. Once you know what your hair likes, order the full bars :)

P.S. Don't write off a bar as "not working" for your hair on the first few tries. Once your hair transitions and gets used to the new bars, order another round of samples and re-test. Then you have a really good idea of what your hair likes (I hated the olive & babassu the first FEW times I tried it, it's now my tried and true bar :))
I totally agree with you Manderly.

Besides, the samples are a decent size and will last you a long time... I don't know how often you shampoo, but mine will last me several months (I shampoo about once a week, slightly more often in the warmer season). Plenty of time to make sure you know what full size to order eventually! :)

ljkforu
March 29th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I totally agree about samples and don't discount CV soaps either. After all the samples my favorite is the Carrot Honey Complexion Soap Bar. I feel compelled to by a full bar.

Bluebell
March 29th, 2009, 06:21 AM
hmm.. it could very well be hard water. do you know how hard it might possibly be in your area?
my first shampoo bar is on the way so I can't really say too much about it.. =/ i'm a newbie with them too.
there's a suggestion on the CV site that a customer made, take a look at it http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/hardwater.htm it's near the bottom after the paragraph "what can we do?"

the whole page might be of help to you. dunno~ ^^ good luck!

Thank you Ruka!
It gave me a new idea! After reading:
Your hair and scalp get clean because surfactants decrease the surface tension of water and allow the water to mix with the dirt and grease (sebum) so it can be washed away.

I took a bucket, head in it and poured water over my hair while the bucket filled. Then took herbgarden CV and lathered it on my head. The water in the bucket got soapy and I used this to wash my hair and scalp.

So I needed only a little bit soap because I used the soapy water to clean my hair.:stirpot:
When you're cleaning and wash your laundry it works the same...

Then rinsed it out with more rainwater and finally a weak ACV which I rinsed out.

Now it's almost dry. Very moisturised and soft! No waxiness and hardly any white gunk in my BBB! It really surprises me because I did an oiling of jojobaoil yesterday! One wash with the soapy water got it all out!

It feels like washing with Water Only but then cleaner and more fluffy. :hollie:

biosail
March 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Kimberly,

Try steeping herbs, like rosemary or lavender, in the vinegar. It will pick up their scent and infuse it into your hair when you use it to rinse. It takes a while to make the vinegar mix strong enough . . . at least a few days, and longer is better.
Thank you for the suggestion to steep. I took some ACV and put a bunch of rosemary in it with a few spoonfulls of lavender flowers, I also sort of crushed it all up a bit. I think I will let it sit for a day or so.

As for the CV rosemary & mint shampoo bar - it seemed to dry my hair out a bit more than I would like, but that may be due to me mixing up my rinse to strongly. Today I washed with it but did not acid rinse, my hair looks nasty and greasy.

When I ordered from CV they did not have sample of the bars I wanted to buy so I just got 5 full sized bars. My thought was that if I liked one, I would use it as a poo bar and if not then I would just use it as a body bar or hand bar. If I really hate it, I'll wash my dog with it!

ratgirldjh
March 29th, 2009, 10:26 AM

hahaha - that is what i did - LOL - i bought one full sized bar of summer sunshine and i'm not sure i can deal with the smell - but it worked pretty good when i tried it yesterday - and today my hair is shiny and bouncy :) but really i can't tell much difference between it and the j. r. liggett's herbal bar - except for the smell - and the summer sunshine doesn't lather quite as easily - but they both seemed to work equally for me.

Neoma
March 29th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Yesterday, I bought the Dr. Bronner's Citrus Shikakai Conditioner and the Peppermint Styling Cream. Both of these products are meant to be used after washing one's hair with soap.

I tried the styling cream as a leave-in on dry hair yesterday. While my hair felt very soft, I was not thrilled with how dull my hair looked.

This a.m., I shampooed twice with a SCH bar. I followed with the Shikakai Conditioner. The first problem with this product is consistency: Even if you shake it, some of the product comes out watery, while the rest comes out in globs.

I applied it like I do a vinegar rinse: I dunked the length into the sports bottle filled with the rinse, then slowly poured the rest over my head, detangling with my fingers as I poured and as I rinsed it out with running water.

Finger combing was no easier or difficult than when I use a vinegar rinse.

I applied a single, small pump of the Peppermint Styling Cream, focusing on the ends. Detangling was decidedly easier than if I used a vinegar rinse without conditioner, but no easier than when I add a shot of conditioner to my vinegar rinse.

When it dried, my hair looked terribly dull -- totally devoid of shine.

I returned both products to Whole Foods for a refund this afternoon.

biosail
March 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Neoma- Yesterday, I bought the Dr. Bronner's Citrus Shikakai Conditioner and the Peppermint Styling Cream. Both of these products are meant to be used after washing one's hair with soap.

I tried the styling cream as a leave-in on dry hair yesterday. While my hair felt very soft, I was not thrilled with how dull my hair looked.

This a.m., I shampooed twice with a SCH bar. I followed with the Shikakai Conditioner. The first problem with this product is consistency: Even if you shake it, some of the product comes out watery, while the rest comes out in globs.

I applied it like I do a vinegar rinse: I dunked the length into the sports bottle filled with the rinse, then slowly poured the rest over my head, detangling with my fingers as I poured and as I rinsed it out with running water.

Finger combing was no easier or difficult than when I use a vinegar rinse.

I applied a single, small pump of the Peppermint Styling Cream, focusing on the ends. Detangling was decidedly easier than if I used a vinegar rinse without conditioner, but no easier than when I add a shot of conditioner to my vinegar rinse.

When it dried, my hair looked terribly dull -- totally devoid of shine.

I returned both products to Whole Foods for a refund this afternoon.

Neoma! I am so sorry about your bad experience - it sounded horrible! I think I have different water here than you do where you are, or maybe we have products that are slightly different in formulation. When I mix my rinse up it dilutes completely, and does not even settle out when I let it sit for a few days. When I have used ACV it has left my hair crunchy and dry, where as the DR.B rinse leaves my hair soft, and if I rinse my hair in cold water super shiny.
The hair lotion stuff does not work as well as I would like either, I can only use very little of it to avoid looking greasy.
As for the rosemary CV bar... it leaves my hair dry and dull compared to Dr.Liggetts :( even if I use the Dr.b rinse or an ACV rinse or no rinse at all.
I think I will take some water with me to work and get it's parameters checked... that way it will be easier to compare how products work here vs. in other places.

biosail
March 30th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I had no idea it would be so much fun to figure out what works and what doesn't!

It's also interesting to find out how products work else where.

My friend in Boston tried to switch from conventional shampoo and conditioner to shampoo bars - I sent her 3 bars for her birthday and many directions - nothing that she has tried has worked and she has been trying for 4 weeks now! I think she has been reading this thread too.

kwaniesiam
March 30th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Kimberly,

When I ordered from CV they did not have sample of the bars I wanted to buy so I just got 5 full sized bars. My thought was that if I liked one, I would use it as a poo bar and if not then I would just use it as a body bar or hand bar. If I really hate it, I'll wash my dog with it!

Or you can always put them up on the swap board ;)

It took me months to get these to work. I actively used them for a few weeks, then stopped because they weren't working. Then, I ran out of my normal 'poo and have them lying around so figured "why not?" and they worked :joy:

biosail
March 30th, 2009, 04:57 PM
kwaniesiam,
Thanks for the suggestion - I will check out the swap thing.
I really should learn to use all the emoticons, they are very entertaining.

Neoma
March 30th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Neoma! I am so sorry about your bad experience - it sounded horrible! I think I have different water here than you do where you are, or maybe we have products that are slightly different in formulation. When I mix my rinse up it dilutes completely, and does not even settle out when I let it sit for a few days. When I have used ACV it has left my hair crunchy and dry, where as the DR.B rinse leaves my hair soft, and if I rinse my hair in cold water super shiny.
The hair lotion stuff does not work as well as I would like either, I can only use very little of it to avoid looking greasy.
As for the rosemary CV bar... it leaves my hair dry and dull compared to Dr.Liggetts :( even if I use the Dr.b rinse or an ACV rinse or no rinse at all.
I think I will take some water with me to work and get it's parameters checked... that way it will be easier to compare how products work here vs. in other places.Thank you, biosail. :flower: It's OK. No damage was done and, thank goodness, Whole Foods gave me a refund, no questions asked.

Different water, different hair type... Who knows?

I had no idea it would be so much fun to figure out what works and what doesn't!

It's also interesting to find out how products work else where.

My friend in Boston tried to switch from conventional shampoo and conditioner to shampoo bars - I sent her 3 bars for her birthday and many directions - nothing that she has tried has worked and she has been trying for 4 weeks now! I think she has been reading this thread too.biosail, I have tried shampoo bars a couple of times when I was visiting Boston, and the results were really bad. They have much harder water than we do in NY. I hope she figures out how to make them work for her. Maybe a water filter...?

Or you can always put them up on the swap board ;)

It took me months to get these to work. I actively used them for a few weeks, then stopped because they weren't working. Then, I ran out of my normal 'poo and have them lying around so figured "why not?" and they worked :joy:That's great news, kwaniesiam. :flower:

dcmo
March 31st, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hi everyone!
Can you believe I just read 268 pages of this thread? And people were talking about getting a t-shirt for reading through page 50! haha.
I signed up for this forum after ordering some CV bars, which should arrive any day! I got: Multi Butter Bar tin (maybe to use on ends), Oats & Honey Dog Shampoo, Babassu Marsh Mellow Shampoo, Coconut Milk Shampoo, Extra Honey Beer and Egg Shampoo, Lavender and Spice Shampoo, Rosemary Mint Shampoo, Avocado Shea Soap, and Olive and Shea Soap.

I haven't tried shampoo bars before except for a few from Lush which I know were technically not shampoo bars anyway. I am a little concerned about the funky hair syndrome or buildup. I'm going from reg sls shampoo and cone conditioner now and plan to do some clarifying for a few washes first. I am in Toronto with very hard water and plan to use citric acid rinse with maybe a squirt of conditioner added. I have very dry hair and dry scalp with some patches of psoriasis on my scalp, hence the trying to avoid chemicals, which I know will be better for my hair and scalp too. Since reading on this forum, I've been using coconut oil on my hair at night before washes and it's been working great. I wish I had read Mandeley's recent posting about getting some samples that aren't as moisturising so I could work up to the more moisturising bars. Would you say any of these I have coming would be less moisturising and might be ok to start with?

Also, I haven't really seen anyone mention using styling products. Right now I use hairgel because I get quite frizzy and need some control to keep everything somewhat in place. My hair is quite thick and since I'm only at shoulder length, it doesn't really have the weight to hold itself down naturally. I'm worried the poo bars won't be able to rid the residue of this, and since I'm going natural I'd like to find something better to use. Any suggestions? Or do you find using these that you don't really need to use any sort of styling aid after getting rid of the buildup of regular sls etc?

Sorry one last question, this is O/T but I've seen "BBB" mentioned several times and I'm not sure what that is - I'm thinking some kind of comb or brush?

Thanks so much and much love to all of you since I've learned so much reading about your experiences and advise!

Aries_jb
March 31st, 2009, 10:42 AM
I still use styling products with these bars. IMO, using products that are cone free seem to wash away best with these bars.

Isa-belle
March 31st, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone!
Can you believe I just read 268 pages of this thread? And people were talking about getting a t-shirt for reading through page 50! haha.
I signed up for this forum after ordering some CV bars, which should arrive any day! I got: Multi Butter Bar tin (maybe to use on ends), Oats & Honey Dog Shampoo, Babassu Marsh Mellow Shampoo, Coconut Milk Shampoo, Extra Honey Beer and Egg Shampoo, Lavender and Spice Shampoo, Rosemary Mint Shampoo, Avocado Shea Soap, and Olive and Shea Soap.

I haven't tried shampoo bars before except for a few from Lush which I know were technically not shampoo bars anyway. I am a little concerned about the funky hair syndrome or buildup. I'm going from reg sls shampoo and cone conditioner now and plan to do some clarifying for a few washes first. I am in Toronto with very hard water and plan to use citric acid rinse with maybe a squirt of conditioner added. I have very dry hair and dry scalp with some patches of psoriasis on my scalp, hence the trying to avoid chemicals, which I know will be better for my hair and scalp too. Since reading on this forum, I've been using coconut oil on my hair at night before washes and it's been working great. I wish I had read Mandeley's recent posting about getting some samples that aren't as moisturising so I could work up to the more moisturising bars. Would you say any of these I have coming would be less moisturising and might be ok to start with?

Also, I haven't really seen anyone mention using styling products. Right now I use hairgel because I get quite frizzy and need some control to keep everything somewhat in place. My hair is quite thick and since I'm only at shoulder length, it doesn't really have the weight to hold itself down naturally. I'm worried the poo bars won't be able to rid the residue of this, and since I'm going natural I'd like to find something better to use. Any suggestions? Or do you find using these that you don't really need to use any sort of styling aid after getting rid of the buildup of regular sls etc?

Sorry one last question, this is O/T but I've seen "BBB" mentioned several times and I'm not sure what that is - I'm thinking some kind of comb or brush?

Thanks so much and much love to all of you since I've learned so much reading about your experiences and advise!
Welcome to LHC, dcmo! :flower:

BBB = boar bristle brush :)

A good natural ingredient for styling is aloe vera gel. Try and do a search on the forum, several recipes should come up :)

As for your choice of samples, if you have a very dry scalp and hair, you might not mind too much not having chosen some of the less moisturizing bars. My hair is dry too and I have yet to break my less moisturizing bars. I've been using the Babassu bars and the extra honey beer and eggs; and I'm afraid the other samples I chose might be too drying - although I'll try and give them a try when the weather gets decidedly kinder on my hair.

I believe the Lavender and Spice and Rosemary Mint should be less moisturizing than the other samples you chose :)

dcmo
March 31st, 2009, 11:27 AM
:love:Thanks very much to you both for your reply! I know it will be a bit of trial and error, especially at first, but trying to cut down on some of the known issues if I can. Thank you for the welcome and I'll do a search for the aloe vera gel and give it a try.

Isa-belle
March 31st, 2009, 11:29 AM
:love:Thanks very much to you both for your reply! I know it will be a bit of trial and error, especially at first, but trying to cut down on some of the known issues if I can. Thank you for the welcome and I'll do a search for the aloe vera gel and give it a try.
Good luck! The trial and error can be quite fun in itself :D

dcmo
March 31st, 2009, 11:29 AM
Good luck! The trial and error can be quite fun in itself :D

Except if I have to go out in public looking scary :p

manderly
March 31st, 2009, 02:55 PM
Except if I have to go out in public looking scary :p

Naw, I don't think there was ever a point where my hair looked awful or anything.....it just felt a little funky. :)

And as for your frizz, do you use oils? I didn't notice if you had your hairtype listed, but I use oodles of oils in my hair and it is great for adding weight and killing frizz :)

biosail
March 31st, 2009, 02:55 PM
Except if I have to go out in public looking scary
The first week I used shampoo bars I had 3 sections of Biology laboratories to teach. The first three days were the worst! I taught all my labs with my hair tied back because it looked so bad. Then on day 4 I used Dr. Bronners soap, it is pretty potent stuff and took out whatever it was that was still in my hair. I used Reddken or Redken before, with the all shine leave in. I don't remember what my friend back home used, but I know her hair was beautiful from the first wash.
Nasty hair is a great conversation piece! :)

And welcome to the shampoo bar thread, I am new too, joined last week. This is a great website!

dcmo
March 31st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks Manderly (sorry spelled your name wrong in my first post..oops!) My hair and scalp are both pretty dry, hair is quite thick, slightly wavy/curly, just about at my shoulders now. I have been using coconut oil at night as a treatment where I have pretty much slathered it on but maybe I have to learn how to use less in order to do it during the day or after washing to fight the frizzies as well. What type of oil do you use? Are you using it during the day also or as a treatment?

Thanks to you also Biosail. Good to know I can at least pull it back. I don't have much of a ponytail but somewhat of one I guess haha. Welcome to yourself too then. I agree, it's a great site. I've learned so much already and everyone is so friendly and helpful.

Guess what? I got home and my package is here! Everything smells so good! I especially love the scent of the lavender spice and rosemary mint. Seeing those are the two that were stated as being a little less moisturising, I'll probably start with one of those. I'll check in with my progress.

manderly
March 31st, 2009, 04:15 PM
I use about 7 drops of coconut oil mixed with a quarter sized glob of giovanni direct leave in on my towel-dried hair after I wash.

My hair can get an additional few drops of oil from then to next wash.

1 drop smoothed through dry hair to tame excess frizz and add shine
1-2 drops in each HALF of my hair at night to bring out waves, usually looks oily at night but my hair drinks it up overnight and it looks great in the morning

I'm an oil junkie :D

(P.S. You can see my hair in my profile pic, your results may vary)

dcmo
March 31st, 2009, 05:07 PM
Your hair is beautiful, so if I can get even 1/10th the results, I'd be ecstatic! Thanks again! I'll definitely give it a try...

Rini
March 31st, 2009, 07:42 PM
UPDATE: Well my hair is getting VERY curly!! :afro: Don't know if this is a common "side effect", but woah.....very thick/fat looking hair with spirals (more than usual) and waves right down to the ends. All of this is good, but I'm experiencing dry/velcro/crunchy ends which oiling is not helping. :rolleyes: Granted, my last few inches are damaged (from henna removal) so they will eventually go, but when I was COing the damage was less obvious.

Anyway, I think I'm liking this more and more :)

Neoma
March 31st, 2009, 08:03 PM
UPDATE: Well my hair is getting VERY curly!! :afro: Don't know if this is a common "side effect", but woah.....very thick/fat looking hair with spirals (more than usual) and waves right down to the ends. All of this is good, but I'm experiencing dry/velcro/crunchy ends which oiling is not helping. :rolleyes: Granted, my last few inches are damaged (from henna removal) so they will eventually go, but when I was COing the damage was less obvious.

Anyway, I think I'm liking this more and more :)

Rini, I get crunchy velcro ends, too. The solution for me is to add a shot of conditioner to my vinegar rinse. Viola! Silky ends. :flower:

Rini
April 1st, 2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks Neoma.....I'll give that a try next wash :flowers:

FUNK2LOPEZ
April 1st, 2009, 12:27 AM
My friend Ljkforu got me to join this site and get on the hair routine I have now. She introduced my to shampoo bars. I got one from Fred Myer in the Organic/All Natural section. I don't have a lot of money to spare so I got a cheap almond scented one for around $2.00 and I love it. It smells good, it's easy to use and I think it does make my hair feel silky, look shiny, not too oily or too dry and I still only wash it once a week like I did with the bottled shampoo I used before. I also switched to a clarifying conditioner and that may have helped. Either way I like it and I'm going to stick with it. :agree:

ljkforu
April 1st, 2009, 03:04 AM
My friend Ljkforu got me to join this site and get on the hair routine I have now. She introduced my to shampoo bars. I got one from Fred Myer in the Organic/All Natural section. I don't have a lot of money to spare so I got a cheap almond scented one for around $2.00 and I love it. It smells good, it's easy to use and I think it does make my hair feel silky, look shiny, not too oily or too dry and I still only wash it once a week like I did with the bottled shampoo I used before. I also switched to a clarifying conditioner and that may have helped. Either way I like it and I'm going to stick with it. :agree:
I had her try the Sappo Hills Almond round bar that most of use can get. She is using well water on a large volcanic Mountain (Mt. Hood). Her water doesn't seem over hard though.

I've used it to wash my own hair up there and the big difference I notice is that I do need an acid rinse to silken hair.

I'm curious to here what someone somewhere else thinks of the action of the Sappo Hills bars compared to the other things we all use. Somebody? Anybody?

firenze
April 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm pretty brand new here and finally ordered some shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley. The shipping was so fast and I was so happy to discover my treat in the mailbox today.

I've read a lot of this thread, but not all of it (hey! it's really long, I'm working on it! :D) Anyway, I know it is generally recommended to do a wash with clarifying shampoo before using the bars, but I'm not sure if can do this all in one shower of if I should use a clarifying shampoo tomorrow and then start using the bars the next day. I feel like if I just clarify tomorrow and wait, my hair will feel like straw. But I'm also worried about over cleansing.

I'm so excited to try them out, they smell great. And as a side note, I've only been reading this forum for about a month but I've learned so much. My hair even grew almost a full inch in a little over a month, I think it's due to all the great info I've gotten from here about how to care for it properly. So, I guess that's a long way of saying thanks!

dcmo
April 1st, 2009, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm pretty brand new here and finally ordered some shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley. The shipping was so fast and I was so happy to discover my treat in the mailbox today.

I've read a lot of this thread, but not all of it (hey! it's really long, I'm working on it! :D) Anyway, I know it is generally recommended to do a wash with clarifying shampoo before using the bars, but I'm not sure if can do this all in one shower of if I should use a clarifying shampoo tomorrow and then start using the bars the next day. I feel like if I just clarify tomorrow and wait, my hair will feel like straw. But I'm also worried about over cleansing.

I'm so excited to try them out, they smell great. And as a side note, I've only been reading this forum for about a month but I've learned so much. My hair even grew almost a full inch in a little over a month, I think it's due to all the great info I've gotten from here about how to care for it properly. So, I guess that's a long way of saying thanks!
Welcome Firenze! You might have noticed I'm probably the newest to the thread other than yourself. I got my package from CV yesterday. This morning I did a cone-free conditioner with baking soda to clarify and then immediately washed with my lavender spice bar and did an ACV rinse. So far so good. My hair is definitely more poofy than usual, because I didn't add any styling products, just a small amount of coconut oil over the hair to try to tame it a bit. But as far as texture, shine and tangles I had perfect results with no waxxies or buildup feeling. I know it was only my first wash so I don't want to get too excited but so far so good! Hope you have good luck with your first try too! :)

biosail
April 1st, 2009, 08:56 PM
Ok, I am on my second CV bar. The rosemary mint did something to my hair that made it dull, even with the acid rinse. I will save and try it later after I move... not sure yet (Michigan, South Carolina, or Boston, I should know by next month)
I have been using the mud and clay bar for 2 days now, or maybe 3, I'm not sure. My hair is nice and shiny, it feels a bit different than when I used dr.liggetts, it feels like it should look bad but when I look in the mirror or put it up it looks thick and nice, my only complaint at this point is that the ends get all knotty.

biosail
April 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM
I also have a story to share. I love natural products and I am used to the eew tofu and you don't bleach your toilet!? (we clean it very regularly with vinegar or ammonia or Dr.Bronners)

But today I had my first natural hair care bashing. I went to Sally Beauty supply to get a nice little pair of scissors to trim with, and a file for my one comb that has ridges - it leaves great curlies on my head that instigate knots (that I never noticed before this site).

I am a friendly person and often make small talk with bored store employees, so the girl at the store starts to talk to me, at first it's just about the weather, but then she asks about my hair care. So without thinking I excitedly tell her that I use shampoo bars and acid rinses and oil. The girl looked horrified, looked up at my hair and asked if I was kidding.

She then told me that soap is terrible for your hair and acid rinses bleach your hair, and she topped all this off by saying that white people don't need to oil their hair - that is why we wash our hair every day. And the comb ridges are a wives tail.
I was in shock to be told all this in a "you stupid environmentalist" way. I was so pissed I forgot to buy the scissors.

I know that the soap we talk about here is not damaging our hair, at least not as much as SLS shampoo, I also know that oiling hair moisturizes successfully, but do the ridges on the comb teeth really cause hair to curl ?

Has anyone else had a a similar experience? My step mother gave me a similar reply to that of the woman at Sally's. Do shampoo bar users need to be careful about who they talk to about shampoo bars?!

biosail
April 1st, 2009, 09:17 PM
Sorry about the long post I needed to vent :)

Neoma
April 1st, 2009, 09:26 PM
I also have a story to share. I love natural products and I am used to the eew tofu and you don't bleach your toilet!? (we clean it very regularly with vinegar or ammonia or Dr.Bronners)

But today I had my first natural hair care bashing. I went to Sally Beauty supply to get a nice little pair of scissors to trim with, and a file for my one comb that has ridges - it leaves great curlies on my head that instigate knots (that I never noticed before this site).

I am a friendly person and often make small talk with bored store employees, so the girl at the store starts to talk to me, at first it's just about the weather, but then she asks about my hair care. So without thinking I excitedly tell her that I use shampoo bars and acid rinses and oil. The girl looked horrified, looked up at my hair and asked if I was kidding.

She then told me that soap is terrible for your hair and acid rinses bleach your hair, and she topped all this off by saying that white people don't need to oil their hair - that is why we wash our hair every day. And the comb ridges are a wives tail.
I was in shock to be told all this in a "you stupid environmentalist" way. I was so pissed I forgot to buy the scissors.

I know that the soap we talk about here is not damaging our hair, at least not as much as SLS shampoo, I also know that oiling hair moisturizes successfully, but do the ridges on the comb teeth really cause hair to curl ?

Has anyone else had a a similar experience? My step mother gave me a similar reply to that of the woman at Sally's. Do shampoo bar users need to be careful about who they talk to about shampoo bars?!biosail, I'm sorry that you had this experience. I would have been pissed, too. She sounds like someone who wasn't open to learning something new. In fact, it sounds like she was threatened by it.

There are certain people I probably wouldn't tell that I use shampoo bars: folks who work at beauty supply stores and beauticians, to start.

As to comb ridges curling one's hair... I haven't heard that one. But I wouldn't use a comb that wasn't smooth. I'd be afraid of breakage.

Aries_jb
April 1st, 2009, 09:40 PM
My mom is the same way. She'll listen to me prattle on about shampoo bars with half an ear, then she'll say, "That's fine, as long as you also use shampoo." This is usually after she compliments me on my hair!

I just assume people won't get it, so I just refer to my shampoo bars as "a gentle shampoo".

firenze
April 2nd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Welcome Firenze! You might have noticed I'm probably the newest to the thread other than yourself. I got my package from CV yesterday. This morning I did a cone-free conditioner with baking soda to clarify and then immediately washed with my lavender spice bar and did an ACV rinse. So far so good. My hair is definitely more poofy than usual, because I didn't add any styling products, just a small amount of coconut oil over the hair to try to tame it a bit. But as far as texture, shine and tangles I had perfect results with no waxxies or buildup feeling. I know it was only my first wash so I don't want to get too excited but so far so good! Hope you have good luck with your first try too! :)

Thanks for the welcome! I'll try to clarify and then use a bar today for my shower. I'm so glad it worked so well for you the first time! I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I can't believe I'm so excited to wash my hair!

LiraelQ
April 2nd, 2009, 07:45 AM
Phew! I've been reading this thread for a week and I'm still only about a quarter done. It's exhausting, but there's so much good information, I can't stop!

I ordered some CV bar samples and to my delight they arrived yesterday! :D I got Babassu & Marshmallow, Honey Beer & Egg, Rosemary Lavender Aloe, and Summer Sunshine. Even though I'd washed the day before, I couldn't wait to try one out, so I picked Summer Sunshine and hopped in the shower. (More detail on the actual washing in my blog, more for personal reference than anything).

The bad:
Couldn't really get my fingers through my hair when it was wet
A few bad tangles in the morning
A ton of bendy hairs all over my top layer today...really doesn't look smooth.

The good:
I like that the smell is not overly fruity, but maybe a little herby/spicy as well.
This bar really got my scalp clean...maybe this will be the first product since SLS shampoo that will fend off the oil for 24 + hours!
My hair has that body a lot of people talk about with poo bars, and the hair close to my scalp has more volume.
This lather was incredibly rich on my scalp, very luxurious...though I had trouble getting it to my ends.
When my hair was dry, I could finger-comb it, which is really unusual.
ETA: My hair went from a low iii to a mid-to-high iii instantly! My usually roomy claw clip is barely keeping my french twist together today!

The plan:
Next time I wash I'll keep the number of lathers/rinses (two) but add a very dilute acv rinse. This can only help my scalp, and maybe smoothing my cuticles with cut down on the bendys.

Buildup doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment, though it's really too early to tell, I suppose. I'm hoping my chlorine filter also cuts down on any hardness in my water (haven't tested it).

firenze
April 2nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
I thought I'd do an update of my first wash. I used Neutrogena Anti-Residue first and then followed with Extra Honey, Beer, and Egg. I did two lathers, the first was nice and rich around my scalp, but not very foamy at the ends. I don't think I got enough down the length. My second lather was much less foamy and left my hair feeling scarily squeaky clean. And there was no way I could get my fingers through my hair after I rinsed it. That was kind of odd and I started to get worried about how my hair would turn out. I prayed for a vinegar rinse miracle, and sure enough, it totally detangled everything and gave my hair slip.

Just out of the shower, everthing felt pretty normal. As it started to dry, I noticed it was quite frizzy. This is pretty normal for me, but it was frizzier than usual. After it was all dry, my hair seemed poofier and had a slightly gunky/waxy feel. It's not nearly what I expected after reading about some first experiences, it just feels like there's a bit of residue left over. It doesn't look dirty, though. My hair just feels. . .different, I guess. Maybe I'm getting closer to what my hair really feels like without all the cones. (That's an interesting thought, maybe I've never felt my natural hair without a coating of cones)

There seems to be a bit of a learning curve/break in period associated with the bars, so I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm excited to try again tomorrow and hopefully I'll eventually have that soft, shiny hair some of you get with these bars.

I also got Carrot, Milk and Honey, Summer Sunshine, Lavender and Spice, and Rosemary Lavender Aloe.

Oh and I officially read this whole thread. It was informative but my brain just can't seem to hold all of that info. :p Thanks for all the info!

LHGypsyRose
April 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
I just ordered my first shampoo bars from CV! I'm so excited to try them and I sure hope they work good. :pray:

Suldrun
April 2nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
I have not used the bars since my Miami trip. I used a mild shampoo and a cone condish because I wore my hair down and I thought it would help protect it. My hair does not seem to like cones at all lol. By the time I came home it was very dry and brittle. I used a clarfiying shampoo when I got home and a vinegar rinse ( I did not have any no-cone condish in the house) I thought my hair would be horrible but it felt soft and it was stretchy and seemed moisturised??? i think the cones locked out moisture. My hair seems to like getting wet.

I am shocked at how thin my hair seems!! It looks and feels so thin. I forgot how fine my hair is since using the bars. Why do the bars make my hair thicker? are they coated with somehting? Does anyone else notice this?

I plan on washing tommorrow with my bars. I really missed them.

its so nice to see some new people on the thread :) Welcome to the addiction!

Moonstruck
April 2nd, 2009, 10:20 PM
Mmm, my hair definitely feels much thicker with poo bars too - each strand just is so much more robust and plump. It's funny, cause I'm asian and already have coarse thick strands, I wouldn't have thought that the poo bars would have made a difference. It feels a lot nicer now though, IMO.

Our of curiosity, does a beer or honey poo bar count as having protein? Technically I think both do, as the normal edible products, but I'm not sure how it affects hair. Just wondering if I'm inadvertently giving myself a protein treatment when I let my hair soak in the honey beer soap. ^^"

Suldrun
April 3rd, 2009, 01:10 AM
Thanks Moonstruck. i thought I had read that other people noticed thicker hair too..I just have not read this whole thread in such a long time. I wonder what is coating it? I agree I like the way my hair feels with the bars. My hair does seem more robust, thats actually a great way to describe it!

I wonder about the honey and beer bars too. In the past I have tried protien shampoos and conditioners and my hair hates them. I do have a sample of the honey beer bar and I have not used it because i am concerned its too much protien for my hair.

LiraelQ
April 3rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
Mmm, my hair definitely feels much thicker with poo bars too - each strand just is so much more robust and plump.

My hair does seem more robust, thats actually a great way to describe it!

I'm experiencing the same...I went from low iii to high iii and outgrew a claw clip in just one day! I can also maintain an updo with one hair stick, when before I could barely hold one up with two. My hair is fine and usually very straight/slippery.

Still working my way through this thread (in the 70s now) and I'm not sure if I've seen this question answered. Has anyone noticed their top layer of hair feeling a bit worse with shampoo bars than their hair underneath? Since I can finally do some updos I've noticed that my lower layer of hair feels soft, smooth, healthy, moisturized, just wonderful. In comparison, my top layer feels just a little gnarlier. I don't think any other washing method has produced the same effect. Maybe because the top layer is necessarily a little more "damaged" than the bottom layer?

Not sure what to do about it...I think oiling at the moment will just make me a greaseball, since it's not the length but hair close to the crown that needs nourishment. I have Aveda smoothing lotion that has some cones, which I don't want to combine with the bars.

I don't REALLY want to add conditioner to my routine (I just added ACV and it seemed to help a bit) but I'd be open to trying it.

avraea
April 3rd, 2009, 09:09 AM
Well, I'm not sure about others, but for me the increase in thickness has nothing to do with anything coating the hair. It's just that using soap to wash my hair always raises the cuticles of my hair a lot more than anything else, and that contributes to the appearance of thicker strands and thicker hair. The reason I don't think it's a coating of anything on me is because it doesn't last. The day after washing, my hair doesn't seem as thick anymore, not just in overall volume but in the individual strands too. My hair starts to feel thinner again by then.

dcmo
April 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
I thought I'd do an update of my first wash. I used Neutrogena Anti-Residue first and then followed with Extra Honey, Beer, and Egg.
I also got Carrot, Milk and Honey, Summer Sunshine, Lavender and Spice, and Rosemary Lavender Aloe.

Hi Firenze!
I'm glad to hear that your experience was at least somewhat good. I'm definitely far from an expert being new to these bars too but I wonder if the waxy feeling or buildup might have been from that specific bar being high in protein. I'm hoping you'll have better luck with one of the other bars. I started with Lavender and Spice and so far so good after two washes. I haven't had any bad results other than the poofy/frizzies, but again frizzies are normal for me, just look like I have lots more hair than I already have. I know a lot of people like that, but I've always been one to try to tame down the amount of hair I already have :D. I have been playing around with different amounts of coconut oil after the wash and it seems to bring it down somewhat. If you find anything that works for you, I'd love to hear! Good luck with your other bars. It seems summer sunshine has quite a following too. I didn't get that one as I tried to pick some for drier hair and scalp.

dcmo
April 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
I just ordered my first shampoo bars from CV! I'm so excited to try them and I sure hope they work good. :pray:

Because I'm nosy and want to know, what did you order? :D I hope you have good luck with them. Can't wait to hear how you find them. I've just started with them but so far I'm really happy with them.

LiraelQ
April 3rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
What do you guys think of this article (http://www.naturesnexus.org/topics/natural-beauty/beauty-tips/83-beauty-tips/96-whats-best-for-your-hair.html)?

In it the writer claims washing repeatedly with soap is too damaging to the hair shaft to be sustainable. Can any of the long-term shampoo bar users weigh in? I know a lot of you in this thread swear by them. Did you find your hair growing weaker with use? Did you notice more brittleness/split ends?

manderly
April 3rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
What do you guys think of this article (http://www.naturesnexus.org/topics/natural-beauty/beauty-tips/83-beauty-tips/96-whats-best-for-your-hair.html)?

Meh. :shrug: I don't know what kind of timeline she's talking about here, but in the year + I've been using bars, I don't see anything wrong with them. And there are other members who I'm sure have been using bars longer than I....I don't think any of them are going bald or having their hair frizz out.

UncommonTart
April 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
I received my first order (all samples this time around) from Chagrin Valley earlier this week. I got the honey beer and egg as well as the extra honey beer and egg (I like a honey rinse, but if I use too much, my hair goes blah, so I figured I'd try both) plus the Summer Sunshine and the Lavender Spice. I also ordered a few soaps, and I've been having a lot of fun trying them all. I'm putting together a list of those that I want to get again as full sized bars, plus more samples. Does anyone have any suggestions? (Shampoo bars or soap, since I'm trying the 'soap as conditioner' thing.)

VLoving
April 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
I have been using soap for a little over two months now...I have noticed more damage and splits but I don’t think it is related to the poo bars. It has also been well over a year (maybe a year and a half) since my last hair cut (with a razor...oh the horror) and I have just started to learn how to be gentle with my hair.

I still don’t understand why she went on and on about her doggy poo that she wants us to use instead. Cones and “VERY expensive surfactants” may work for some…and they may not work for others. I personally use poo bars to get away from all of that stuff and have loved the results so far.

The statement “If you have long straighter shiny hair, you are in trouble.” is a little extreme. From reading the thread it seems like most people use an acidic rinse that will neutralize and soap residue…so there shouldn’t be an issue. On a side note…when I was checking to see if my litmus paper was still good, I had checked a few of my soaps and NONE of them hade a PH any where near 10(but I am going to recheck them just to be sure).

The article has its valid points…about the acidic rinse and once damage is done, it’s done. I have been going off and on with the rinses and I can see and feel the difference. The more is use the bars…the more I realize how necessary the acidic rinse is. That is what brings out the softness and shine.

Well…I will get off my little :soapbox: now…

VLoving
April 3rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
I received my first order (all samples this time around) from Chagrin Valley earlier this week. I got the honey beer and egg as well as the extra honey beer and egg (I like a honey rinse, but if I use too much, my hair goes blah, so I figured I'd try both) plus the Summer Sunshine and the Lavender Spice. I also ordered a few soaps, and I've been having a lot of fun trying them all. I'm putting together a list of those that I want to get again as full sized bars, plus more samples. Does anyone have any suggestions? (Shampoo bars or soap, since I'm trying the 'soap as conditioner' thing.)

I love the Avocado Oats & Shea and Orange Creamsicle for my hair. They both leave my hair super shiny and manageable with out weighing down my hair. The oats have never caused an issue either. And if you find a random piece in your hair consider it a little something to snack on later *wink*. The Honey Butter soap is divine. It is a tad to heavy for my hair but I adore this soap. I also had good success with the Shea Rose Clay…but again it can weigh down my hair if I used it consecutively.

Moonstruck
April 3rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hm. In response to the article...
10.5 is absurdly high for soap - I'm not really sure where she got that from. Well, I mean, it can happen, but most milder soaps, especially when superfatted, should be nowhere NEAR that range. Lye is very basic, yes, but unless the soap made is lye heavy (or perhaps not superfatted at all), soap with that high a pH would leave burns on your skin. Do you see burns on your skin or scalp from your shampoo bar? Then it's not that high. I could see maybe up to 8 really, especially with really mild ones like the CV bars. Think about it this way. Oils + lye = soap. Lye = basic. Oils = fatty ACIDS. Most soaps arent ever acidic, but still, they aren't as basic as many people think.
If your hair is dull and has lots of volume, as well as being sort of grabby and snarly, then I could perhaps see how maybe the cuticles in your hair aren't lying down. But my hair is more shiny then ever after the 'poo bar (granted, with an ACV rinse), and therefore the only potential time for damage is between the 5 minutes that I let the soap sit on my head and the time that I ACV rinse it off.
In theory, just using lots and lots of rainwater, which is soft and can be mildly acidic, would probably be similar to doing an acid rinse and therefore people that can obtain those conditions would not need the acid rinse.

Also, just cause something is expensive doesn't mean that it's better. Just means supply and demand run a little differently - could mean that no one wants the expensive stuff cause it does no good! I hate that argument that the more expensive, the better. Glucose is glucose - only one chemical formula for it, regardless of whether it comes from corn or potatoes or who knows. The alcohols could be different, yes, but corn and potatoes are both common veggies with heavy subsidies and if the alcohol is a byproduct, it shouldn't be that expensive.

LiraelQ
April 3rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Cones and “VERY expensive surfactants” may work for some…and they may not work for others. I personally use poo bars to get away from all of that stuff and have loved the results so far.

The statement “If you have long straighter shiny hair, you are in trouble.” is a little extreme. From reading the thread it seems like most people use an acidic rinse that will neutralize and soap residue…so there shouldn’t be an issue. On a side note…when I was checking to see if my litmus paper was still good, I had checked a few of my soaps and NONE of them hade a PH any where near 10(but I am going to recheck them just to be sure).

I thought the same about the cones comment. I was like, wow, the cones have just hidden all your damage, congratulations...

Hm. In response to the article...
10.5 is absurdly high for soap - I'm not really sure where she got that from. Well, I mean, it can happen, but most milder soaps, especially when superfatted, should be nowhere NEAR that range. Lye is very basic, yes, but unless the soap made is lye heavy (or perhaps not superfatted at all), soap with that high a pH would leave burns on your skin.

I was wondering if that was true or not. The vestiges of my memory of chemistry in high school thought that pH was a little skewed. I'm glad people with more recent knowledge are chiming in! I don't make soap, so I definitely can't say for sure or not.

I also thought it was weird how they skimmed over the acidic rinse...like, "you can fix it with an acid rinse, BUT IT'S STILL TERRIBLE."

Glad to hear the other side of the argument! :)

UncommonTart
April 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
I love the Avocado Oats & Shea and Orange Creamsicle for my hair. They both leave my hair super shiny and manageable with out weighing down my hair. The oats have never caused an issue either. And if you find a random piece in your hair consider it a little something to snack on later *wink*. The Honey Butter soap is divine. It is a tad to heavy for my hair but I adore this soap. I also had good success with the Shea Rose Clay…but again it can weigh down my hair if I used it consecutively.

Thank you for these suggestions! I already had the Shea Rose Clay on my list anyhow, to try for my skin, but now I'll have to try it on my hair as well. The Honey Butter sounds very nice, too. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the orange cream, but this time around I had ordered a sample of the Chocolate Orange, and I love it, so now I'm going to have to try that too, and I'll add the Avocado Oat and Shea to the list. I actually don't mind trying ones that I may not be able to use every day, since I like to rotate anyhow. (I have a major scent addiction, and since I have so many, I like to rotate. Don't even ask how many different "flavors" of VO5 I have in the bath for co'ing. It's almost embarrassing.)

Thanks again!

naturalme
April 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
....as I stagger in to the end of the thread! Wow, that was a marathon (and I didn't read *every*page!). Thanks to everyone for your experiences with soap/poo bars. I realise there is a difference between us all and our hair types, the water we have, etc, but it's interesting to see some common themes.

It will be interesting to see what bars I can get here in Australia (thanks to Aussie posters earlier in the thread, I have some good ideas!) but I am so envious of the huge market in the US, which allows for such great variety.

Thanks again for all your posts; this newbie is rapidly learning!

Stelmaria
April 3rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Please tell me what I did wrong:

So I got my CV bars last night, shampooed with the the Olive Babassu bar, deep conditioned, then CO washed this morning. I had more body in my hair but by early afternoon my hair was very dry and I could see lots of split ends that weren't there when I searched and destroyed the other day (I suspect due to the dryness). I did not do a vinegar rinse because my hair hates vinegar, even very diluted. It looked and felt ok when I left the house.

Before using the shampoo bar I was exclusively a CO washer, no cone usage. Does that mean that maybe my hair just doesn't like shampoo and I should stick with CO washing? Are shampoo bars only for people who typically use shampoo and just want a milder form?

Also, on the CV website Ida says that the bars do not strip the natural oils. I'm wondering what the science is behind that, because it is a soap, and soap is supposed to remove oil. So is it removing some oils but not others? I'm a bit confused because my hair does feel a little stripped. Not totally stripped, just down to its underwear and shivering a little.

manderly
April 3rd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Why did you wash again in the morning? That's a lot of washing in a 12 hour period. :flower:

The soap bars DO remove oils, they just don't strip them as thoroughly as SLS poos do, and since they are made with oils they also add some in there.

Give it some time, and don't wash your hair so much :D

Suldrun
April 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Well, I'm not sure about others, but for me the increase in thickness has nothing to do with anything coating the hair. It's just that using soap to wash my hair always raises the cuticles of my hair a lot more than anything else, and that contributes to the appearance of thicker strands and thicker hair. The reason I don't think it's a coating of anything on me is because it doesn't last. The day after washing, my hair doesn't seem as thick anymore, not just in overall volume but in the individual strands too. My hair starts to feel thinner again by then.

I am unsure of this since I have been using bars for months and I stretch my washes as long as I can...considering I work from home this is from 3-7 days. My hair still was thicker that entire time untill I clarified. If this is true I am a bit concerned as my goal is terminal.

My normal routine is to scalp wash only unless I have done an oil treatment and then I do scapl and length. Then a vinegar rinse and then a catnip rinse. Yikes I hope that I am not damaging my hair too much.

The reason I think there may be a coating is that my hair gets straighter with the bars. I normally have waves if I let it air dry.Geez I hope its not true.

Does anyone have a special microscope lol

Stelmaria
April 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
Why did you wash again in the morning? That's a lot of washing in a 12 hour period. :flower:

The soap bars DO remove oils, they just don't strip them as thoroughly as SLS poos do, and since they are made with oils they also add some in there.

Thanks, Manderly. I'm a Curlygirl, so in the morning I mostly rinse my hair with conditioner to comb it, not a full wash. I never comb my hair dry or it will get frizzy.

avraea
April 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
I am unsure of this since I have been using bars for months and I stretch my washes as long as I can...considering I work from home this is from 3-7 days. My hair still was thicker that entire time untill I clarified. If this is true I am a bit concerned as my goal is terminal.

My normal routine is to scalp wash only unless I have done an oil treatment and then I do scapl and length. Then a vinegar rinse and then a catnip rinse. Yikes I hope that I am not damaging my hair too much.

The reason I think there may be a coating is that my hair gets straighter with the bars. I normally have waves if I let it air dry.Geez I hope its not true.

Does anyone have a special microscope lol
Oh, I was just speaking for myself there, so it may be an entirely different situation for others. I also use the CV soap bars only and have stopped using the shampoo bars altogether because I find them too drying and they do actually cause a bit of buildup over time either due to the higher castor oil or glycerin content. I think others have mentioned this as well. So it may be that you're getting some sort of coating on your hair from the bars you're using.

If this coating isn't hurting your hair though, only making it thicker, is that not a good thing?

manderly
April 3rd, 2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks, Manderly. I'm a Curlygirl, so in the morning I mostly rinse my hair with conditioner to comb it, not a full wash. I never comb my hair dry or it will get frizzy.

Got it ;)

I spritz my hair down really well with distilled water & giovanni leave in and comb out my tangles. :)

Suldrun
April 3rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Oh, I was just speaking for myself there, so it may be an entirely different situation for others. I also use the CV soap bars only and have stopped using the shampoo bars altogether because I find them too drying and they do actually cause a bit of buildup over time either due to the higher castor oil or glycerin content. I think others have mentioned this as well. So it may be that you're getting some sort of coating on your hair from the bars you're using.

If this coating isn't hurting your hair though, only making it thicker, is that not a good thing?

I dont know! I guess its a good thing lol. I don't seem to have the problem of dryness with the bars but i use the Olive babssu one on length and that seem to really moisturise. In fact as the weather gets warmer and wetter its a bit too much.

I am glad for the input though because its something that I should be aware of as a possability since I want to get to terminal so i will definitly keep an eye out for any damage.

Aries_jb
April 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM

I agree. I kind of see the bars as nourishing cleansers, so they take away oil, but they also leave some nutrient rich oils on the hair. Also, be careful with washing hair so much as your scalp may produce more oil to compensate. I can go a lot longer between washes now than I used to when I was using sulfates.

ljkforu
April 5th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Since your are a curly girl maybe bar and then condition immediately. In the morning wet and use a leave in treatment for control.

My go to acid is Vitamin C crystals in water 1/4 tsp/20 oz water. I just get the best results when I use it. When I visit my friend I have to go without and my hair using the same bars and conditioner feels crunchy without the vit c rinse. Friend laughed and said she had some from cosmetic making and sure enough that was the cure for me and her. But alas everyone has different needs. :)

littlemiss
April 5th, 2009, 11:45 PM
please dare with me as yet I have not had time to read threw this thread as yet, but was wondering do any of you shampoo bar users use conditioner as well? as I cant imagine my hair with out conditioner.

Stelmaria
April 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I think I'm going to use shampoo bars just as I would use shampoo, which is very very rarely. I had somehow thought it would become a regular thing for me since many rave about it and say they don't need conditioner afterwards, but I think I should stick with what works for me, which is conditioner only. Like they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Is there such thing as a conditioner bar? The thing I love about the idea of shampoo bars is it means fewer plastic conditioner bottles in the landfills. So it would be great if I could find an environmentally friendly way to support my conditioner habit.

avraea
April 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
please dare with me as yet I have not had time to read threw this thread as yet, but was wondering do any of you shampoo bar users use conditioner as well? as I cant imagine my hair with out conditioner.
I think it depends on the type of hair you have, actually. I'm pretty sure a lot of people who use shampoo bars still use conditioner, or at least a small amount of conditioner mixed in with their acidic rinse. Some of us use richer superfatted soaps as a "conditioner bar". Some, like me, don't use conditioner at all. My hair just doesn't like conditioner and looks and feels great without it, though it took me a while to realize that.

Aries_jb
April 6th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I'm one of those people that needs conditioner after my shampoo bar. My hair is curly and needs the extra moisture.

You definitely have to experiment and find out what works for you. Soap bars as conditioner don't work for me either, but make great shampoo bars. It's all about personal preference and trial and error.

Kimberly
April 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM

In it the writer claims washing repeatedly with soap is too damaging to the hair shaft to be sustainable. Can any of the long-term shampoo bar users weigh in? I know a lot of you in this thread swear by them. Did you find your hair growing weaker with use? Did you notice more brittleness/split ends?

I've been using CV bars for a couple of years now and it (along with ACV) does not damage my hair. When I started using them I did notice my ends looked bad, but that was before I used ACV and before I cut off the damage I already had. In my experience, shampoo bars just don't glue down or otherwise mask damage the way most shampoos do. So hidden damage will suddenly appear. I've finally trimmed off most of my damage (though I still have taper and a halo of new growth) and now my ends feel silky and never crunchy, using CV Honey Beer & Egg and a ACV rinse on an irregular basis. Sometimes I wash after three or four days, sometimes closer to a week and a half or even nearly two weeks. It depends on how I want my hair to look (fluffy or sleek) and if I'm in the mood to wash it.

I have found that ACV -- the real deal, with "the mother" -- gets great results but WV and regular grocery store ACV could make my hair look dry if I used too much. With real ACV, though, I've never found an amount that is too much for my hair but increasing past a certain amount doesn't get better results. Cold water rinses help, too.

I've been toying with the idea of trying some other CV bars, just for fun and a different scent, but I'm so happy with the results I get now that I keep putting it off. I'm still using the stack of Honey Beer and Egg bars I bought in 2007 (I stocked up!).

Other people may get very different results, of course! My skin and hair love humidity and acidity to a point that might be extreme for others.

firenze
April 6th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I'm just checking in after using the bars for 5 days now. I'm not sure how I feel about them. I'm definitely having problems with my hair feeling greasy even though I clarified and use a vinegar rinse. I don't know if this is just because i haven't given it enough time to get used to the bars, yet.

It feels strangely waxy after it dries but by the evening my length feels soft and smooth and slightly greasy but the top of my head feels greasy like I haven't washed in awhile.

The good news is that by the evening my ends feel amazing. They were like hay before and were sticking out everywhere with 90 degree bends everywhere. Now it feels and looks like I had an end transplant. They don't even make crunchy noises anymore.

So, basically I don't know what to think. Should I keep trying the bars for another week or so? Will the greasiness every go away?

manderly
April 6th, 2009, 07:01 PM
What method are you using? How many lathers? It's usually something simple like that :)

ljkforu
April 6th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I'm just checking in after using the bars for 5 days now. I'm not sure how I feel about them. I'm definitely having problems with my hair feeling greasy even though I clarified and use a vinegar rinse. I don't know if this is just because i haven't given it enough time to get used to the bars, yet.

It feels strangely waxy after it dries but by the evening my length feels soft and smooth and slightly greasy but the top of my head feels greasy like I haven't washed in awhile.

The good news is that by the evening my ends feel amazing. They were like hay before and were sticking out everywhere with 90 degree bends everywhere. Now it feels and looks like I had an end transplant. They don't even make crunchy noises anymore.

So, basically I don't know what to think. Should I keep trying the bars for another week or so? Will the greasiness every go away?
I have really greasy hair and poo about 3-4 times aweek with conditioner and an acid rinse. The conditioning bars will help you scalp to produce less oil, usually. If not you can use a soapish bar of your scalp and a conditioning bar on your length.

firenze
April 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM
What method are you using? How many lathers? It's usually something simple like that :)

Whew you're quick! :) I started using the bar right on my crown but that seemed the leave a lot of residue afterward. Today I tried getting some suds going in my hands and then working up a lather on my scalp, but I still used the bar on my length. Then I rinse and repeat. I follow with a WV rinse because I'm blonde and read that was better for blondes. I do 2 tbsp. to 1000 ml, and use half of that. I let that sit while I wash my body and then rinse everything in cool water.

Thanks for your help!

steph in tx
April 6th, 2009, 07:14 PM
The number of lathers does make a difference for me. As does the type of bar I'm using. Plus, I found that the adjustment period for me waxes & wanes. Some days I think I'm past it, while other days I have the waxies, even with the same regimen. Or maybe I'm just weird...

I do have a question re: acid rinses. I've been usinf ACV in distilled water. I'm curious about citric acid (since I have some on hand) and vitamin C (which I have no idea where to get.). How much of each would I use, and what are the advantages/drawbacks to the different types?

Neoma
April 6th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I think I'm going to use shampoo bars just as I would use shampoo, which is very very rarely. I had somehow thought it would become a regular thing for me since many rave about it and say they don't need conditioner afterwards, but I think I should stick with what works for me, which is conditioner only. Like they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Is there such thing as a conditioner bar? The thing I love about the idea of shampoo bars is it means fewer plastic conditioner bottles in the landfills. So it would be great if I could find an environmentally friendly way to support my conditioner habit.
Stelmaria, yes, there is such a thing as a conditioner bar. Go to etsy.com (http://etsy.com) and do a search for "conditioner bar". Several vendors carry them. :flower:

ljkforu
April 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
The number of lathers does make a difference for me. As does the type of bar I'm using. Plus, I found that the adjustment period for me waxes & wanes. Some days I think I'm past it, while other days I have the waxies, even with the same regimen. Or maybe I'm just weird...

I do have a question re: acid rinses. I've been usinf ACV in distilled water. I'm curious about citric acid (since I have some on hand) and vitamin C (which I have no idea where to get.). How much of each would I use, and what are the advantages/drawbacks to the different types?
You get vitamin c crystals in a vitamin store you get citric acid from a Indian/Arabian store or health food. The proportion is about 1/4 tsp per 20 oz of cool water (in other words an empty coke bottle :D) Vinegar is great but it smells.

sapphire-o
April 8th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I think I'll give a quick review of the Sweet Creek shampoo bars. I ordered a few samples and have tried them all. I can say they're as good as CV, possibly better for my scalp type (oily). The lather is very good and cleansing power is good, too. It does seem to leave some oil behind as my hair feels pretty soft. All in all their "no conditioner no ACV" claim seem to hold true. Though I still achieve better result with a weak ACV rinse. Can't tell about conditioner as I never use any.

I tested the pH and it is pretty close to neutral (7ish). CV bars seem to have a higher pH.

There is one disadvantage I should mention: hair seems to get a bit tangly after using these bars. I think it's the film of oil or glycerin they leave behind. It's not too big a problem for me as my hair is slippery, it just means I actually need to comb it. For those with tangle-prone hair I imagine you'd have to use some conditioner or leave-in. For those whose hair is not long yet that shouldn't be a problem. My hair also seem to get greasy a little faster, not sure if it's the shampoo bars or because it's warmer recently.

Customer service is fabulous and the bars arrived quickly and very nicely wrapped.

ratgirldjh
April 8th, 2009, 04:30 PM
personally i didn't like the CV bars (at least summer sunshine) as much as i like my herbal j. r. liggett's bar. but i could be prejudiced because i found that summer sunshine has palm oil in it and i have been trying to avoid it. so it could be that i just don't want to like it - LOL

what i have noticed is that my hair likes my poo bar more than ANY other hair cleansing method and believe me i have tried LOTS of them. i've tried herbs, indian herbs, rinses and pastes, clay, sea salt, lime juice, ACV, WO, CO washing and of course shampoo w or w/o conditioner. out of all these methods my hair is softer, stronger, has more body and breaks less with my poo bar.

look at the pictures of women in the 1900's before shampoo was invented. most of those women used soap and a vinegar or lemon juice and water rinse. their hair sure did grow long! so i don't think there is anything wrong with using a soap based hair cleanser.

my hair does not appreciate conditioner so i don't use any. just a very weak ACV rinse and then i rinse that out.

Suldrun
April 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM

I am glad that your ends are happy:)

You probably have to experiment a bit. Maybe your scalp will begin to produce less oil like Mandery says.

For me I was too impatient to wait so I use a more cleansing bar on my scalp and a more conditioning one on the length. I have found the 2 bars that are now my goto bars for the winter but I will probably need a less moisturising one for summer.

You also may need to play around with the vinegar dilution , that can make me look a little greasy too sometimes if I don't dilute it enough.

Neoma
April 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I think I'll give a quick review of the Sweet Creek shampoo bars. I ordered a few samples and have tried them all. I can say they're as good as CV, possibly better for my scalp type (oily). The lather is very good and cleansing power is good, too. It does seem to leave some oil behind as my hair feels pretty soft. All in all their "no conditioner no ACV" claim seem to hold true. Though I still achieve better result with a weak ACV rinse. Can't tell about conditioner as I never use any.

I tested the pH and it is pretty close to neutral (7ish). CV bars seem to have a higher pH.

There is one disadvantage I should mention: hair seems to get a bit tangly after using these bars. I think it's the film of oil or glycerin they leave behind. It's not too big a problem for me as my hair is slippery, it just means I actually need to comb it. For those with tangle-prone hair I imagine you'd have to use some conditioner or leave-in. For those whose hair is not long yet that shouldn't be a problem. My hair also seem to get greasy a little faster, not sure if it's the shampoo bars or because it's warmer recently.

Customer service is fabulous and the bars arrived quickly and very nicely wrapped.

sapphire-o, I agree that the SCH bars are as good as CV. For me, I think they are better. I have only tried three, so far. The Marshmallow Root with MEmu Oil is my favorite. I'm crazy about the fragrance.

I think their cleansing power is more akin to PLH than to CV, which is good for me. In fact, I generally only lather once with SCH, something I wouldn't even consider with CV.

For me, the jury is still out on the "no vinegar rinse, no conditioner" claim. One day, I had a most excellent hair day when I did not follow up with any kind of a rinse. The next time, my hair was far more tangly.

My favorite way to use them is to follow up with a very mild vinegar rinse mixed with a shot of conditioner.

Oddly, I have been able to skip a day between washings if I am so inclined when I use these bars. I'm usually a daily washer, so this was a pleasant surprise for me.

And I second what you said about Kathleen's customer service: It is excellent.

biosail
April 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone, I have missed TLHC, I have not had a chance beyond a few moments :bigeyes: to check what has been going on in the poo bar world.

I have since had a debate with my husband and friends - when you say you only wash your hair once a week for example - does that mean you don't get it wet when you shower or does it mean you get it wet but don't soap it?:confused:

Isa-belle
April 9th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I was wondering, am I the only one to have a horribly gunky brush when I wash with shampoo bars? What am I doing wrong?

Isa-belle
April 9th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Hi everyone, I have missed TLHC, I have not had a chance beyond a few moments :bigeyes: to check what has been going on in the poo bar world.

I have since had a debate with my husband and friends - when you say you only wash your hair once a week for example - does that mean you don't get it wet when you shower or does it mean you get it wet but don't soap it?:confused:Personally it means I don't wet it at all :)

ljkforu
April 9th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Personally it means I don't wet it at all :)
I on the other hand use bars 3-5 days out of the week followed by conditioner and an acid rinse.

About every 7th washing I use a Dr. Bronner's bar to deep clean and clarify (any nice solid pure soap bar would do the job)

Moonstruck
April 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM
So I've been using my CV poo bars for maybe about 3 months now, and I thought I got the routine down pat... but now I'm confused. My hair still feels MUCH softer and has more body, but has basically lost all the shine that I associated with using these bars (honey beer and chamomile citrus, if anyone's curious). They both used to leave my hair SUPER shiny, and now... nothing really. Wouldn't say my hair is dull, but it's as shiny as dull Asian hair can get.
I'm still doing the same vinegar rinse, and it still feels slippery, so I don't think it's that.
What should I try? Different rinses, different bars (Nettle didn't do anything, but it never made my hair shiny period), maybe clarify?