PDA

View Full Version : Henna allergy???? Please no!

Ann Marie
July 5th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I did a henna treatment yesterday...
I used Yemeni light and some cassia with amla...the same formula I have been using since February....except I am using Yemeni instead of Jamila. i only leave on for an hour....
I think I have hives....sunburn and some red bumps.
I have had this before from taking Ginseng supplements...
Before it took about a month or taking the suppliments before the reaction showed up. I stopped and it went away gradually...
I have been taking Ginger/garlic supplements for the past month...
So it could be that....

I have since stopped taking(since Friday)
But my scalp is fine...no itching...and the color is beautiful!;)

But on to more serious matters!:D

Is a henna reaction cumulative? Or would it show up from the first use? I am hoping it's not the henna!:(

I will feel no sadness form the garlic/ginger loss!:p

But the Ginseng started like this I went into anaphelactic shock...
(throat closing) scary!:shocked:

So please give me some clues on Henna alergies! I promise to go to the Dr if it gets worse! ;)

Thank you!

Ann Marie
July 5th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Forgot to mention....it is on my chest and back area...
My scalp is fine....

Anje
July 5th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Perhaps not being very familiar with allergies, I'm surprised that you would get hives on your chest and back but not have any allergic dermatitis on your head if this was caused by henna. Heck, I get an itchy bumpy scalp from henna just due to the dryness it causes my skin...

Definitely do a patch test in your elbow before hennaing again, even if that means you'll have an orange elbow.... But I'm still concerned you may have reacted to something systemic, perhaps something you ate.

Alvrodul
July 5th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Since you have allergies, I recommend being careful - no matter how beautiful a color it gives your hair, it is not worth a bad allergic reaction over. That said, as I understand it, allergic reactions to henna are rare.
I second Anje in recommending a patch test.
And if it turns out you don't have a reaction to henna, I further suggest that you be careful what you mix with your henna - if you use something other than plain water, you might get a reaction to that.

Ann Marie
July 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks for your replies!

I have been using henna for months now!

I only use water...cassia and amla.... and some olive oil...all from the same seller......I have no problem with my scalp face or neck....

The only difference is that I used Yemeni light instead of jamila...

But I am thinking it is something I ate...I stopped a ginger supplement( I take for joint inflammation in my back) the last day was Friday....and it seems to be going away slowly...

I got the henna sealed from a known seller ( jamila) and Yemeni Light from henna for hair...

I had henna all over my neck from the henna I did yesterday. And no problems there...Weird..

I will try a patch test longer on my arm this time... I love henna! If it is the henna then it would have to be the Yemeni henna....I don't see how there would be a difference though...henna is henna...

But i was wondering what a henna allergy was like..i could not find any symptoms online....only the fake henna stuff....definitely not what I have!..:run:

virgo75
July 5th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Agree with the patch test suggestions.
If you can also test each ingredient separately, that would be better.
It could be the henna, cassia, OR amla causing the reaction.

If the patch test turns out ok, you might want to try doing a henna treatment on one side of your hair and see if you have a reaction on that side if you mix it up properly and leave it on for the usual amount of time.

Best of luck to you. :flower:

pixiestar
July 6th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Quote from h4h "There have been only a few reports of Type I, IgE-mediated allergic reactions to pure henna. This allergic reaction includes a tight feeling in the chest, sneezing, itchy eyes, runny nose, and a dry cough. The onset is soon after the person is exposed to henna powder or paste. If you think you might be allergic to henna, dab henna on your forearm and wait one hour. If you do not have the symptoms above within that hour, you are not allergic to henna. If there is an orange mark on your skin from the henna, don't worry. That's the henna color staining your skin, and that's what it's supposed to do, and that's harmless!"

This is from the henna for hair website, this is usually the symptoms for henna allergy according to them.
I have a ppd allergy and sensitivies, but have been fine with henna:)

Jack's Sparrow
July 6th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Please be careful!

I had been using the Lush henna for several years and then over a period of months I developed an allergy to them! The first time I reacted it gave me the symptoms of a migraine and left me feeling so ill it was really difficult to wash it all off - the pain was so bad I was actually crying as I was bending over the basin removing it!

Unfortunately I didn't put this down to the henna and I coloured again 6 weeks later........I really wish I hadn't!

I had the migraine symptoms again but not before I had a tightness in my chest and a burning sensation on my scalp. Even though I removed the henna very quickly it still led to migraine symptoms and a feeling of severe sunburn on my scalp which lasted for days!!

Prior to this happening I had been a box dye person for about 15 years so I assumed I would be able to go back to those. As a precautionary measure I did an allergy test behind my ear and thank goodness I did as it reacted VERY badly. It blistered very badly and the entire patch of skin fell off and I only left the dye on my skin for a matter of minutes.

Sorry for the LONG post but I wanted to warn you of the potential outcome. I can no longer colour my hair in ANY way thanks to my reaction to Lush henna so I'm having to embrace my silvers, lol ;)

My profile pic is from the days when I used Lush Caca Noir - I must update that, lol!!!

Ann Marie
July 6th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Wow...thanks Jack's sparrow....

That is what I was wondering...if the allergy could be brought on after a long time of use....

I have been using since February....but always with amla and cassia...actually I am doing 1/3 henna and the rest cassia...

I last did Henna on Monday and I still have the rash a bit...I took some antihistamines before bed....It seems to be clearing a bit...but barely...:(

I also started to use soap bars around this time....so I put them aside...they have various herbs...not to mention I have been using all kinds of sunscreen from the weekend!:(

Still clinging to the hope it is not the henna!:cool:

The rash is on my waist...chest and low back area! I take baths so the soap and henna will accumulate from my mermaid soak until I drain...so It could get on that area....

But my scalp is OK! But it did happen soon after the henna...:(

I ditched my herbal suppliments....

I had a reaction to St. John's wort in the 90's...I had sever photo sensitivity....I was nocturnal for a month until it all left my system...
I also had a reaction to Ginseng....so I am thinking it was the herbal supplement. (ginger root) Hoping!

Thank you Pixie Star....I have none of those symptoms..so there is hope! :o

Thank you also virgo75....I will wait till it is healed and then I will do the patch this next weekend! One patch for each herb!:eyebrows:

Wow Jack's Sparrow...that is crazy.. and sounds so painful! :blueeek:.I have used chemical dyes since I was 15...I don't think I ever want to go back to that way again...just the smell of Feria could peel paint! So Like you I will have to go back to my natural state!

:eye: But we shall see!

Thank you guys for your replies!:D

Ann Marie
July 6th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Please be careful!

I had been using the Lush henna for several years and then over a period of months I developed an allergy to them! The first time I reacted it gave me the symptoms of a migraine and left me feeling so ill it was really difficult to wash it all off - the pain was so bad I was actually crying as I was bending over the basin removing it!

Unfortunately I didn't put this down to the henna and I coloured again 6 weeks later........I really wish I hadn't!

I had the migraine symptoms again but not before I had a tightness in my chest and a burning sensation on my scalp. Even though I removed the henna very quickly it still led to migraine symptoms and a feeling of severe sunburn on my scalp which lasted for days!!

Prior to this happening I had been a box dye person for about 15 years so I assumed I would be able to go back to those. As a precautionary measure I did an allergy test behind my ear and thank goodness I did as it reacted VERY badly. It blistered very badly and the entire patch of skin fell off and I only left the dye on my skin for a matter of minutes.

Sorry for the LONG post but I wanted to warn you of the potential outcome. I can no longer colour my hair in ANY way thanks to my reaction to Lush henna so I'm having to embrace my silvers, lol ;)

My profile pic is from the days when I used Lush Caca Noir - I must update that, lol!!!

I saw you profile!

Props to you for embracing you platinum:cheese:s! I should be so brave! I have a few of those bad boys also!:D

Jack's Sparrow
July 7th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I saw you profile!

Props to you for embracing you platinum:cheese:s! I should be so brave! I have a few of those bad boys also!:D

I don't think I would have done if I hadn't been forced into it but I have to be honest, I get WAY more hair compliments now - in fact I was told recently by a REALLY nice guy that he thinks my stripes are sexy and he's 8 years younger than me, LOL!!!

Every cloud has a SILVER lining!!!!:eyebrows:

Ann Marie
July 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM
I don't think I would have done if I hadn't been forced into it but I have to be honest, I get WAY more hair compliments now - in fact I was told recently by a REALLY nice guy that he thinks my stripes are sexy and he's 8 years younger than me, LOL!!!

You changed your siggie! New hairs!

An update...the horrible hives turned out to be An herbal supplement....ginger/garlic...I also started to have these horrible bruises pop up....it inhibited my clotting ability...or made me clot more....so if you looked at me...I would bruise!:rolleyes:

No henna allergy! I will keep hennaing till I get all white like my dad...he went white and not grey....I thought it was pretty....for now I will be a ginger! Then I will be stalking the "How to remove henna threads'!:hatchet:

I am also allergic to preservatives and some perfumes....

Gotta love the Russian roulette:draw: of allergies!

Ann Marie
July 21st, 2011, 11:32 AM

Me likes the new hair!:)