View Full Version : does your scalp hurt after an updo?

erika_d
June 18th, 2011, 11:57 PM
So I just took out my sock bun after having it in for about 12 hours and my scalp/hair roots hurt (but kind of in a good way, like how a massage can sometimes hurt but feel good?) It's like my hair/roots got used to laying one way and now when they go the other way/move around freely, they hurt so good.

Anyone else get this?

Cirafly24
June 18th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Yep! I'm massaging out the soreness as I type this, actually. I had a hair fork in, and it was a bit tight.

darkrose
June 19th, 2011, 03:39 AM
i get soreness whenever i put my hair up, i think its normal as long as hair doesnt fall out.:)

vintage88
June 19th, 2011, 04:33 AM
I get this too, my hair is thick so can be quite heavy when its up!

kouran
June 19th, 2011, 04:37 AM
My scalp hurts while and after I have an updo...I think it's because the bun is heavy, and I don't have much hair in my front hairline and on the top of my head. The only hairdos I do are braided: braided chinese buns, heidi braids, and crown braids.

Sookie
June 19th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Ιt hurts yes

Phalaenopsis
June 19th, 2011, 04:50 AM
It hurts, but it doesn't feel good :)

kyandii
June 19th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I'd say it's more of an ache than hurt.

pepperminttea
June 19th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Sometimes, but not with a good updo. Normally it's just when I've done it too tight, or against the direction my roots want to lay.

CrystalStar
June 19th, 2011, 05:12 AM
I get this, but it isn't always so nice and I have to re-make an updo several times before it sits comfortably often! I have the nice pain sometimes if I have slept with my hair laying the wrong way, and it's like the scalp is over sensitized!

terpentyna
June 19th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Yep, I think more people get it than not...

bunzfan
June 19th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I always think your hair being up shouldn't hurt your scalp, that's why i stopped using bobby pins and started using forks and sticks much more hair friendly.

luthein
June 19th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I'm tender-headed, so I have to adjust or re-do styles every 5 hours or so.

BlazingHeart
June 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Yup. Between thick, heavy hair and a tender scalp, the only thing that doesn't make my scalp hurt is a cinnabun at the nape secured with a medium claw-clip (basically I use the clip over the ends and get just a little bit of hair from under the bun and close the clip on the bun). Even a peacock will give me scalp-ache.

And I agree with Phaelinopsis and Crystalstar, it isn't a 'good' hurt!

~Blaze

Chromis
June 19th, 2011, 10:21 AM
If I wear my updos up high I get headaches from them and have to revert to a lower style or leave my hair down for a bit.

islandboo
June 19th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I am tender headed and since I have been doing the undo challenge I am finding I do get a sore scalp if I don't vary the updos and their placement (which is kind of hard for me since my hair is very slippery and an undo that starts high on my head will invariable creep downward during the day). I also have to redo them sometimes until they aren't pulling anywhere because even a barely noticeable amount of pull will make my scalp angry by the end of the day.

krissykins
June 19th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Oh yes, quite often in fact. I normally take it down and redo it if it's even the slightest bit painful. I don't want to put that sort of stress on the scalp.

I also like to alternate braids and low buns with updos that give me pain but are super cute.

twilight_faerie
June 19th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Oh yes, quite often in fact. I normally take it down and redo it if it's even the slightest bit painful. I don't want to put that sort of stress on the scalp.

Same here. This seems to happen to me most often when I'm using a fork. Sometimes if I manage to make a really good bun, but it ends up being a little painful once I stick the fork in, I'll be like, "screw it, I'll deal with the pain, I don't feel like re-doing that bun," but I always end up re-doing it in the end, cuz being in even a little bit of unwavering pain all day is unbearable.

elbow chic
June 19th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Used to, but since I've been wearing it up basically every day, I don't anymore. Unless it's a really high one, like a topknot left in for many hours.

lapushka
June 19th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Up high is quite okay for me, though when it's been up a couple of hours, I tend to feel that, which is normal, I guess. It's in the middle of the back of my head that I can't wear updos easily, it's just not comfortable there. I've always preferred higher styles, or low ones such as English braids for example. No big deal, actually. I also agree with those who say that changing it up (not always the same spot, the same bun) is kind of key.

spidermom
June 19th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I get this, too, only I wouldn't say it hurts in a good way.

Letting my hair down and giving a good combing usually relieves the pain.

defineinsanity
June 19th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Usually yes, but depends how long it's in for and how tight it is

Autumn
June 19th, 2011, 12:32 PM
No, not if I do it "right". If it hurts when its up, to me that means I did it "wrong" and redo. :) If it doesn't bother me when its up, my scalp is not usually sore when I take it out.

However, it took me a long time to find an updo that was consistently comfortable. (I use France Luxe No Nonsense and Laurance jaws in a bun-type thing.) I love how the Ficcare clips look, but my scalp is often sore when I take them out, so I don't wear them much anymore.

However, my hair is very fine, so its not too heavy, and its only at TLB. Perhaps people with thicker/courser hair or very long hair may not be able to avoid scalp pain after an updo (??). I had a friend in high school who had such thick hair that it often caused her to have headaches at about BSL length, and she ended up having it cut in a short, layered style to reduce the weight. I thought it was too bad because her hair was very pretty. I'd be interested to hear input from people with heavier hair. Do you have to live with scalp pain from updos, or have you found a style that doesn't cause pain?

pinknika
June 19th, 2011, 12:52 PM
ow yes, when I leave my hair up too long or leave up like 2 days in a row, i get that scalp soreness. It doesn't really feel good to me at all and I massage like mad to get the blood flowing again.

celebriangel
June 19th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I get that if I haven't put my hair up well, ie my updo is not well-balanced. I am only BSL...but my hair is quite thick. I can normally find a style that is comfortable, however. On bad days I have to change it halfway through the day sometimes, but french or dutch braids are always comfortable so I normally do that if I'm feeling tender-headed, and more recently I have been able to bun the braid.

I have never had this style be uncomfortable. However, I anticipate further difficulties as my hair gets longer, again due to the heaviness issue. I am glad my hair is thick, though, and I know that with more length I will be able to do comfortable, well-balanced styles such as a nautilus, an equilibrium bun and Spidermom's Bun That Stays. So I think the issue should partially resolve itself, at least until I get to classic or so. But that will be a whole new challenge...:)

RitaCeleste
June 19th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Mine does this in BAD way! I can only wear barrettes over the ears or clasp it at the neck because I hate this feeling. If I have to take down a ponytale, the pain doesn't stop until I have brushed it out and wet it all over really well. Usually by time I get out of the shower my head doesn't hurt. I'm glad to know so many others have felt like this. I was wondering if I was really weird. Thanks!

Madora
June 19th, 2011, 02:52 PM
The problem is more or less due to 2 things:

1)Pulling your hair roots in a direction to which they are not accustomed and

2) The actual position of the hairstyle.

In order to avoid having hurt roots (and scalp) you have to gradually train your hair into the new position.

Style your hair in the desired hairstyle and leave it up for one hour. Then take it down. The next day, put it up again for an hour, and add in another 30 minutes, then take it down. Little by little, accustom your roots to the new position..and gradually you'll be able to wear the style with no discomfort.

WHERE you place the hairstyle depends on how high - or low you want it. I prefer high placement myself because anything low bugs my nape.

ALSO, for comfortable styles, learn how to section your hair, instead of putting it all in one ponytail, or all in one braid. If you can apportion the mass of your hair over a wider surface, you'll find it a lot more comfortable to wear during the day and into the night.

Merewen
June 19th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Yes, except without the "good" part. It usually means that my hair was positioned differently than it's used to for a while. Either that or it was too tight. Either way, it isn't fun.