PDA

View Full Version : Do you choose to use cocunut oil before or after you wash, or both?

shikara
June 13th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Can't wait to try my cocunut oil after hearing so much about it!!!! I know it's supposed to be really good as a pre-wash applied to scalp and length. It's also supposed to be a great regular or deep-conditioning after shampooing. How do YOU use it?

Mairéad
June 13th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I do a heavy oiling before my wash and a light, light application in my ends each night.

vanillabones
June 13th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I use it dry before I shower, and after my shower of CWC I apply a detangler and then more coconut oil to my ends while my hair is still damp. It's great as a deep treatment overnight the morning before you wash, or any time that your ends are feeling icky or dry or damaged or split. My ends are full of damage and split often and coconut oil is the only thing that helps :)

Red_Wednesday
June 13th, 2011, 09:30 PM
My hair seems to prefer it after wards. When I've used it before, I get a tangled mess for some reason (perhaps because it mimics protein and my hair doesn't really like protein). When I apply it after wards my hair seems to respond quite well to it as long as I use it sparingly.

Keepitgrowing29
June 13th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Hi Shikara,

I use Coconut Oil as a pre-shampoo treatment. I'll leave it in for two hours, sometimes even overnight.

<3OnHerSleeve
June 13th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I use coconut oil as a pre-shampoo, and sometimes rub a little into my ends after a shower when my hair is dry.

Madora
June 13th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Just a tiny bit on the last 3 inches, after my hair is completely dry.

If I'm having a bad day with flyaways (espec. in winter) I'll use a small portion too. Great stuff!

Vespertine
June 13th, 2011, 11:12 PM
After, but now I'm inspired to try it before!

CaityBear
June 13th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I use it after. I tend to use EVOO or grapeseed oil for before showers. But my coconut oil I like to put some in when my hair is half dry and then once it's fully dry if I find it's too dry then I do more but I do prefer using it on damp hair. Just have to be very careful how much you put in since you can't see the oil on your hair like you can dry hair.

kidari
June 13th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I use it as a prewash on the ends (I wash daily). 3-4 times a week I will mix it with olive oil and do a scalp massage and then a heavy oiling and leave it in for several hourse before I wash it out. On days I feel like my ends are dry I will put a tiny bit on the ends only before I put my hair up.

IanB
June 14th, 2011, 01:42 AM
It's the night before for me, then wash out in the morning

Teazel
June 14th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I apply coconut oil to my scalp at least 20 minutes before washing, to help control my seborrheic dermatitis.

KittyLost
June 14th, 2011, 03:34 AM
I use it as a pre-wash as my hair is quite dry from heat and dye damage so it really takes the edge off my shampoo. I like to leave it on overnight then shower in the morning.

Loreley
June 14th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Both. Before washing I put a bit more oil on my hair than usual, after washing I oil my wet hair with it. Sometimes I oil it between washings if needed.

pepperminttea
June 14th, 2011, 05:11 AM
I normally use coconut oil as a pre-wash as I find it's quite a heavy oil for my hair, and difficult to apply lightly. :) I also sometimes mix it with my shampoo or conditioner.

kelly-j
June 14th, 2011, 05:12 AM
I use it on dry hair and leave it in during the night.

CrystalStar
June 14th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Basically, all the time! I use it as a pre-wash treatment, a leave in, a night time soak for my ends, EVERYTHING. :laugh: It's the cheapest/best treatment I've ever had!

Aredhel77
June 14th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Currently I'm using it mixed into my shampoo, to help use it up quicker (I have a large tub of fractionated coconut oil and I'm taking part in the 'Use Up Your Stash' challenge, so hopefully it'll soon be another item to cross of my list!). There's a whole thread here on oil shampoo. I'm not following that method exactly though but it's interesting reading. And I do find I'm not needing to use much conditioner afterwards by doing this.

Otherwide, I mostly use it to oil at night (scalp and lengths) and wash out in the morning.

I also mix some with aloe and use it as a leave-in, applied to damp hair after shampooing.

tinti
June 14th, 2011, 06:08 AM
I oil after my hair is dry, and sometimes I do a heavy overnight oiling the day before washing. Works fantastically well for me!

GeoJ
June 14th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Both. I oil my hair prior to washing, and I use smaller amounts after washing to control frizz and to keep my ends from getting dried out.

Vorvolaka
June 14th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I oil before and after, usually with a coconut/EVOO mix. I sometimes use camellia oil as I'm trying to use it up.

elbow chic
June 14th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I seem to have portion control issues with coconut oil, so it's usually a prewash thing for me. Olive oil works better for me as a leave-in... it's lighter and I seem to have an easier time using just a little of it. :)

Masara
June 14th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I don't use oil on damp hair as it seems to make it lank. Coconut oil is one of the few I can use on dreid hair, if I'm very, very careful not to use too much. On the other hand I put loads on as a pre-wash treatment. I leave it on all night and wash it off in the morning.

Emerald88
June 14th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I use it as a pre-wash conditioner and on my ends every night. I have better luck with using it on dry hair. If I put it on my hair when wet it doesn't seem to soak it up as much and looks lank.

Numu
June 14th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I just started using coconut oil on my hair, and so far, I like to smooth a little bit all over my hair to add some extra shine after I have shampooed and my hair is dry. If I put too much, my hair will look stringy and greasy, but a little bit works wonderfully.

spidermom
June 14th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I like a prewash oiling to the bottom half of my length, never my scalp (which is oily enough all on its own). I used to oil after washing, but it attracted too much lint and dust to my hair, which caused terrible tangling, so I don't do that anymore.

Safira
June 14th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Both. I use oils before, with and after. My hair seems to be happy about it.

x0h_bother
June 15th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I know people say it's good prewash, but I personally prefer to use it as a last "conditioner" in the shower about once a week. I take a quarter size, apply it wet to mostly my length (well when my hair was longer, that amount didn't make it greasy) and then hopped out of the shower and went on with my day. I liked it that way.

QueenJoey
June 15th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I just bought my first tub of coconut oil last night!!! I put some on my ends last night, took a shower this morning, and lightly oiled my damp hair before putting in a bun. Pretty sure this is over kill, but I won't know until I try!

Panth
June 15th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Both, plus during. :p

I used to do a heavy oiling and leave it on for a few hours before a wash. Now I just do an oil shampoo which gives the same (or better) results but takes way less time. I also use it as a leave-in on my ends (on dry hair).

QueenJoey
June 15th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Ok, used it after a shower and a swim today and now my hair is really greasy. I'll stick to before washes and extremely light application after. Haven't tried during a wash yet, though.

shikara
June 15th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Yes, you sure do not need very much hehe

Xandergrammy
June 15th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I actually have the best results by using it during my shampoo! I mix about 50/50 oil and shampoo and then condition and the difference in the shine and feel of my hair is amazing.

Red_Wednesday
June 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I actually have the best results by using it during my shampoo! I mix about 50/50 oil and shampoo and then condition and the difference in the shine and feel of my hair is amazing.

I really want to try this.

LoversLullaby
June 15th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I use it for both. The night before washing I use a bit of heated up coconut oil on my hair (enough to just make it a bit stringy). After washing and my hair is completely dry, I add a fingernail worth to my ends. It doesn't do a thing for me on wet hair, but on dry hair it works miracles :)

jaquelines
June 16th, 2011, 06:59 AM
i have been using ktani method : i warm up the coconut in the microwave ( i know , it is better to let it melt naturally, but i am always in a rush ) , apply on the dry hair before shampooing/CO , SMT and ACV. if you read ktani postings there is pretty much there about it, and how some people got better results by applying it before washing, rather than after.
it always depends on your hair. i personally also observed better results by using this method, as using it after, because it kind of lets my hair oilly and dry.
what i do reccomend , if you are applying it before washing is to removed it with a conditioner, as it gets better off, rather than with shampoo.

pinkb21
November 11th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Where can I purchase cocunut oil?LEFT]G
[/LEFT]LEFT]Y
[/LEFT]

ladonna
November 11th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I buy mine in the organic healthy food section of the grocery store, or at an organic grocery store.

RedBlue
November 11th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I coat my hair in coconut oil before I wash my hair. I haven't been doing it lately, because I've just started doing it and I forget to oil my hair! I would like to leave the oil in for a few hours, but I don't think I can go around with oily hair, even if it is benefitting!!:)

Hairwish
November 11th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Both. Heavy oiling before I wash my hair and I usually try to keep it overnight. Light oiling on the last 10 inches of my hair daily, unless I forget.

coffinhert
November 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM
After I shower, i put a small bit on my palms and rub it in my hair below the ears... Then I smooth it in with a boar bristle brush. I've been really happy with this method.

cmg
November 11th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I'm still in the trial and error process. My hair seems to love coconut oil in all sorts of ways. I like doing deep treatments mixed with aloe vera before CO-washing, then afterwards mixed with conditioner as a leave in. I can also use it on dry hair, but I also use shea butter and other stuffs, mostly on the lengths and ends.

PixxieStix
November 11th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I have been experimenting with using it mixed with my shampoo, and so far the results have been amazing! I usually put a bit on the ends of my hair after it has air dried, to help them not get tangled. I tried it as a per-treatment a couple times and it was hard to wash out for me.

blondie9912
November 11th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I use it pretty much every day, a little bit rubbed into my palms and applied to my ends. I sometimes smother my hair in it and leave it on overnight, but I never apply it to my scalp, just my hair.

Amber_Maiden
November 11th, 2011, 07:36 PM
My hair really dislikes coconut oil, so I stopped using it. When I did use it I used it after I washed.

blondie9912
November 11th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Also, I'm not sure what your routine is, but I suggest clarifying your hair of cones before starting to use coconut oil :) I've heard having cones in your hair will stop the oil from penetrating your hair shaft, since the cones have already fully coated your hair. Coconut oil is one of the few oils that actually penetrates the hair shaft, instead of just sitting on top of hair, so clarifying beforehand might help you to take advantage of this benefit.

Chamy
November 11th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I use it both before and after i wash my hair. Before; on my scalp and on the lengths. After; to tame frizz.
:)

Coconut oil is wonderful, i hope it works for you.

starshade
November 11th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I'm new here, but I've been using it most of my life.
My new routine though is an overnight pre-wash oiling on scalp and lenghts (now adding castor oil to it though) and after washing my hair, i apply just a really tiny bit to my hair shaft as well. I'm finding that controls my frizzy curly hair. Sometimes I'll apply a bit to the ends as well before I sleep.

hototogisu
November 12th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I used to heavily oil my hair all the time, but I think my scalp didn't like it. Now I use a fingertip sized dab of my coconut oil blend*, divide my hair into two sections hanging either side of my neck, and run my oiled palms down the lengths and BBB well. I do this when I'm braiding my hair before washing.

I haven't tried using coconut oil as a styling product yet - I think I'll try it next time I wash.

*right now it's 110g coconut whipped with 20g castor oil and 20g olive oil, and I'm liking this blend.

owlathena
November 12th, 2011, 01:43 AM
After, unless I use castor oil on my scalp. When I use castor oil I usually heavily coconut oil my length.

arith
November 12th, 2011, 02:06 AM
I use it after I wash on damp hair, but only on humid days to tame the frizz and puffiness. And I also use it as a deep treatment, when my hair its felling ratty, tangy and hoples and I don’t know why but it always fixes it.

Yosha
November 12th, 2011, 04:21 AM
My hair likes it as a prewash treatment only, it makes my hair softer after washing (I only put it on the length). When I tried using it as a leave in, it made my ends crunchy.

Bish
November 12th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I only use it as a pre-wash sometimes. I do not like it in my washed hair afterwards, it makes it crunchy. I use jojoba instead.

RedheadMistress
November 12th, 2011, 06:52 AM
- I use it all the time, before, after, my hair soakes it all up and I don't mind looking greasy for a little while until it soaks it up, I just make some nice braids and it looks good ^^

starlights
November 12th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I usaully just massage coconut oil into my hair after a wash, braid it, then wash 2 days later and repeat. Oh, and dont forget oiling the length and ends because thats where i find my hair is most sensitive to daily wear and tear! :)

CurlyMopTop
November 12th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I'm mixing mine with my shampoo right now. I've found that my hair really doesn't like conditioner and this allows me to almost avoid conditioner all together. I still have to do a diluted conditioning rinse after washing for detangling purposes (pea size amount).

Cowgirl16
November 12th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I've never done a prewash oiling with coconut oil.
I apply CO to the last half of my hair after I wash it and while it's still wet. :)