PDA

View Full Version : Are fish oil capsules good for hair growth?

starbucksaddict
June 13th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Hi everyone! I heard that fish oil capsules help with hair growth, has anyone heard about this or has tried it? Thanks!

Atraxi
June 13th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I take cod liver oil capsules daily for my skin & joints, & my hair grows pretty quick according to my hairdresser, but as I've been doing it for so long, I'm not sure if it's sped it up, IYSWIM?

Nera
June 13th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Good nutricion is good for your health and hair growth.

cato
June 13th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Fish oil capsules made my hair really shiny and also stronger.
Fish oil is definitely good for hair, as well as nails and skin+ over-all health.
For some, it may speed up the hair growth as well :cheese:

ladyfey
June 13th, 2011, 05:48 PM
omega-3's are good for health in general, including hair health. I take flaxseed oil myself.

Nev
June 13th, 2011, 06:01 PM
really now sure how i feel about taking fish oil capsuls, personally i like my multivitamins and i dont feel like i need anything extra.

C.H.
June 13th, 2011, 06:50 PM
really now sure how i feel about taking fish oil capsuls, personally i like my multivitamins and i dont feel like i need anything extra.

I've read books about healthy aging, brain health, skin health...every one of them unequivocally recommended an omega 3 supplement. It is so good for you in so many ways and not naturally plentiful in most people's diets. And you won't be getting any omega 3's from a multivitamin. It's worth looking into. If fish oil seems impossible to tolerate to you, there are other options.

QueenJoey
June 13th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I once read this blog and in it this girl said she took fish oil for brain power, and ended up growing almost an inch of hair in 2 weeks! I'm sure this isn't the same for everyone, but still, that's pretty fast growth.

gogirlanime
June 13th, 2011, 07:24 PM
It might help speed up your growth but I don't think it will. It's more for moisture, shine, and strength, which fish oil has done all of that for my hair. I think this is why Asian people usually have very shiny and healthy hair because of their diet full of fish.

curlymarcia
June 13th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Do you take fish oil daily?? I've been thinking about taking only 1 or 2 times per week and see how my body react.

gogirlanime
June 13th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Do you take fish oil daily?? I've been thinking about taking only 1 or 2 times per week and see how my body react.

I take 3 soft gels a day and have been for about 3 years

McFearless
June 13th, 2011, 09:24 PM

Fish oil is a source of omega 3 and that can't be found in a multi vitamin.

Flaxen
June 13th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I've been taking them for about three years, and they haven't done anything for my hair one way or another. I take them because I eat very little (okay, almost no) fish. :silly:

Carolyn
June 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I take 2 a day. I've done it for years. I do it for general health not hair health.

Hotrox
June 13th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I tried to take a fish oil supplement a few years ago but found that it gave me a bad acne breakout :(

What brands and dose do you all take, I feel I want to try again for the overall health benefits. And for faster growth and shinier hair of course ;)

C.H.
June 14th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I tried to take a fish oil supplement a few years ago but found that it gave me a bad acne breakout :(

What brands and dose do you all take, I feel I want to try again for the overall health benefits. And for faster growth and shinier hair of course ;)

I've been taking Coromega daily for years. It's like a little ketchup packet only it has a creamy orange-flavored dose of Omega-3s instead (actually, they have more flavors now, but have never tried them). Doesn't taste the slightest bit like fish IMO. I've gotten so many people to start using after just trying one. They really should give me some free boxes.

IanB
June 14th, 2011, 02:38 AM
I think fish oil is good for you anyway, and if they can improve hair growth, that's a bonus

charalito
June 14th, 2011, 11:34 AM
My hair was at its shiniest when I took one capsule of fish oil daily, but I don't know if it helped growth... off to restart the fish oil supplementation :)

Anje
June 14th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Sounds stinky.... probably best to only use this oil internally. :silly:

wvgemini
June 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I take Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Hig Vitmin Butter Oil combo capsules from Green Pasture. They also make liquid FCLO in different flavors. I'm also thinking of buying some of their Coconut Oil/Ghee blend with my next order. Sounds like it would be yummy on popcorn :yumm:

ETA: I think my hair is shinier when I'm taking them regularly. As far as growth, I'm not sure. I feel like I'm in a stall right now, but I just started taking the caplets again, so hopefully it will help :)

pelicano
June 14th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I've been taking fish oil capsules for a few years now. For me they really help with my seborrheic dermatitis. I've never noticed increased growth or better condition, to be honest.

I'm also taking butter oil now, and I cook with ghee. :)

TheBluffs
June 14th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I'l try it, there is a bottle of 500 pills in my pantry. There pretty horride in taste though.

Ribbon
June 14th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Salmon is one of the best fish to eat for omega 3s. I don't know if helps your hair though. I don't eat much fish, but I do like flaxseeds - I put them in breads/muffins, or top my yogurt with granola, berries, and some flaxseeds. I've also put some in smoothies.

I am always wary of claims that this or that nutrient will help your hair grow -- it's like those exercise claims that say if you do a certain exercise you'll lose weight in that one area. Exercise is good but your body decides what the heck it wants to do with it! My mom hates her large stomach but if she diets/exercises, her slender legs get even thinner. I have a feeling the omega 3s are like that for me -- my already strong nails are really strong now since eating better but my hair not so much!

invisiblebabe
June 14th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I have been taking Omega-3 capsules daily for several years now and I'm not sure how it correlates to hair growth. My hair has always grown fairly fast (maybe 3/4" a month on average).

sharicat
June 14th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I took a daily very high dose of omega 3&6 last year for depression. A welcome side-effect was extremely shiny and healthy-looking hair, and it definitely grew faster. I still take a reduced dose now and I'm sure it helps :)

Sabriel
June 14th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Can anyone recommend a good, safe brand? I was looking into getting them awhile ago for overall health but because there is mercury in fish you have to be careful and find a brand that has removed it from the oil (I forget the term for it).

C.H.
June 14th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Can anyone recommend a good, safe brand? I was looking into getting them awhile ago for overall health but because there is mercury in fish you have to be careful and find a brand that has removed it from the oil (I forget the term for it).

Coromega...

wvgemini
June 15th, 2011, 06:35 AM

Green Pastures is awesome :)

Madora
June 15th, 2011, 08:14 AM
My doctor recommended I start taking Omega 3 Fish Oil capsules for heart health. If there are hair benefits to be obtained, I'm all for it! We'll see in 6 months or so.

Cardinal
June 15th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I have some I bought from Walmart, but it upsets my stomach. I will give the coromaga a try, and thanks for the suggestion.

santie
June 15th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I took cod liver oil capsules my entire life, except for the past 4 years while I've been away at university. I started taking them again in the past couple of months and have noticed significant hair growth.

It's important not to pop too many of these though because they are a considerable source of vitamin A, which is not healthy in very large doses.

Proximity
June 15th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I'm glad I decided to have fish for dinner tonight ;)

C.H.
June 15th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I have some I bought from Walmart, but it upsets my stomach. I will give the coromaga a try, and thanks for the suggestion.

Amazon has the best price. You can also get it at GNC, but it costs almost twice as much.

Kdc0180
July 2nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
I drink organic fish oil (not in capsules because I read that it has cancer causing agents), but it's not only good for your hair but also skin, nails and overall health. :)

whitestiletto
July 2nd, 2011, 01:27 AM
FYI, it doesn't have to be fish oil. Over 70% of the world's fisheries are over-exploited and near depletion, and many have already collapsed.

You can get the exact same omega fatty acids, produced by ocean plants (usually labeled algal omega-3, omega-6, or vegan). And you can get omega fatty acids from flaxseed oil.

dmarie16
July 2nd, 2011, 01:53 AM
Think of fish oil as food and not a supplement. If you eat a diet high in fish, nuts, seeds and healthy oils (coconut, EVOO, etc) you body should not need supplementation. Its sooo easy to do whether you are vegan or not. Vegans just stick with the nuts, seeds and oils. Non-vegans choose fatty fish such as wild salmon yumm! Eat a couple servings every day and never touch a pill unless you just want to!!:D

IanB
July 2nd, 2011, 02:34 AM
As has been said, fish oil is great for general health and good general health = healthy nails, skin and hair :D

Ligeia_13
July 2nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
I remember my mother made me drink cod liver oil when I was a kid. I also remember it was foul. I don't think I could bring myself to start it up again. I did have very healthy hair as a kiddie though :D

HairFaerie
July 2nd, 2011, 05:54 PM
I don't think I could drink the oil!:puke:

I have taken a product called Fisol. It's from either Norway or Sweden...it doesn't have any taste at all...not even when you burp later! :)

Flax seed oil is very good idea too. It's more "environmentally friendly". You can make salad dressings from the oil. They sell cinnamon (and other flavors) which is great drizzled over oatmeal! It is sold in capsules too. All of the benefit of fish oil...without the fish! :D

mrs_coffee
July 2nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
I take fish oil every day along with my multi and D3. It makes my nails grow like crazy. My hair grows pretty fast anyway so I haven't noticed a difference there.

Molls
July 2nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
I take flax seed oil every day, on the advice of my optometrist for my dry eyes. I only take one a day though. I should probably take the recommended amount, maybe I'd see a difference in my skin, hair & nails, lol

CurlAhead
July 2nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
Hmmm, when you mention it, I do recall how many comments I've got about how my hair had grown pretty much. Had been taking 3 jelly-fishthings-whatever-they-are-called a day for 3 months! Maybe I should start again.

Shany
July 31st, 2011, 03:59 PM
I've been taking 2 fish oil softgels a day for only a week and I really like the product (o3mega+ joy, Genuine health) because it doesn't taste anything. It doesn't give fishy repeat. It's kinda expensive though, almost 25$ for 60 softgels/1 month. I'm taking it for my general health and mood :) . It contains fish oil concentrate from anchovy and sardines, EPA and DHA. I'm impatient to see if it's going to help against my seborrheic dermatitis and speed my hair growth.

fiddlefananb
July 31st, 2011, 05:02 PM
I just picked up some Solgar Wild alaskan salmon oil with omega 3 for general health so I'll be hoping for better hair.

RitaPG
July 31st, 2011, 05:12 PM
I've been taking fish oil for a while now, I'm not sure what it did to my hair but my skin looks great!

archel
July 31st, 2011, 05:53 PM
Fish oil makes my hair gorgeous (and my skin) if I can remember to take it. Nordic Naturals is a great brand.

jojo
February 22nd, 2013, 06:31 AM
I take cod liver oil capsules daily for my skin & joints, & my hair grows pretty quick according to my hairdresser, but as I've been doing it for so long, I'm not sure if it's sped it up, IYSWIM?

I know this is an oldish thread but what does IYSWIM mean?
Btw i take codliver and omega 3 for my bones and i ve too noticed a positive effect on my hair!

silverthread
February 22nd, 2013, 07:09 AM
I don't know about hair growth, but it will help alleviate some skin and scalp problems such as seborrhea.

DancingQueen
February 22nd, 2013, 07:58 AM
I used to take them, but I didn't notice any difference in my hair or growth. But they have a lot of other health benefits. The only supliment that ever helped my hair grow was Priorin (You can check out the thread I made about it). :)

jacqueline101
February 22nd, 2013, 09:36 AM
I've seen several YouTube videos the ladies say it does.

Ocelan
February 22nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
I don't know if it's a coincidense but I started taking omega 3 and omega 6 oils about 2 months ago and my hair growth has doubled in the last month from quarter of an inch a month to the normal half an inch a month. Well atleast this month it's been back to the normal speed which I'm happy about! :)