PDA

View Full Version : garnier fructis pure??

feb26
June 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Hi, I saw an ad for the new fructis garnier pure clean shampoo-has anyone tried it? it looks really good, but is it too good to be true? 1st major brand to go SLS, paraben free :)

http://www.garnier.ca/_en/_ca/haircare/hc-fructis-pure-clean/shampoo-pure-clean.htm

Ashenputtel
June 10th, 2011, 03:26 PM
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=141433/Pure-Clean/Garnier/Shampoo

The reviews are pretty bad.

KatiSasha
June 10th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I don't know about the shampoo b/c I CO wash, but I got the conditioner version and I gotta tell you it's not as good as GF Triple Nutrition. There is not as much slip and it takes more for me to get my hair saturated. On the other hand, I made SMT with it and it was out of this world both as a treatment and when I used leftovers to CO wash a few days later. It's super light, so it can be good for some hair and not for others :)

battles
June 10th, 2011, 03:41 PM
The reviews sound a little scary, I think I'll be avoiding that one.

BroadwayBeauty
June 10th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Even though it's SLS free, it does use ALS which can be just as irritating IME.

littlestarface
June 10th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Good thing you said this cause I was going to buy this and I cant use ALS, hurts my scalp.

BroadwayBeauty
June 10th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Good thing you said this cause I was going to buy this and I cant use ALS, hurts my scalp.

Me too, caused my hair to fall out.

Kaijah
June 10th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Personally I don't bother with any of the Garnier shampoos, they all use SLS/ALS and my skin dislikes both of those cleansers.

The Pure Clean conditioner worked pretty well for me as a scalp cowash diluted in a bottle with water. It was a little too thick to use on it's own for CO, but not really moisturizing enough for me to use as a second conditioner. I tend to alternate it with other cheap conditioners (like V05) and I haven't had any issues with buildup from it.

ETA: There's a thread on it in products (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=63958), too.

Knittycat
June 10th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Heh. Looks like Garnier missed the boat on that one. Why is it so hard for shampoo manufacturers to get away from sulfates?

Slinks
June 10th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I CO too and I didn't like it either ..

Asequui
June 10th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I CO wash mostly too (unless I need some clarification...even then I mix oil and water w/ the clarifying shampoo and then condition the crap out of my hair afterwards) and absolutely could not stand this product.

I bought it thinking what most people did (ooh! better for the Earth and my hair yay!) and have used it on my hair only twice.

Both times my hair was tangly, frizzy, clumpy, and felt coated w/ gunk.

However, if, like me, you still have a bottle of this hair poison laying around unused: take heart! I found that it's thick enough that by mixing w/ a little soap it made a fairly decent shaving cream that I didn't have a hard time rinsing from my multi blade razor like a lot of the shaving gels and creams I've tried.

Slinks
June 10th, 2011, 07:03 PM
However, if, like me, you still have a bottle of this hair poison laying around unused: take heart! I found that it's thick enough that by mixing w/ a little soap it made a fairly decent shaving cream that I didn't have a hard time rinsing from my multi blade razor like a lot of the shaving gels and creams I've tried.
lol :lol: :cheese: will do !! :-)

BroadwayBeauty
June 10th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Heh. Looks like Garnier missed the boat on that one. Why is it so hard for shampoo manufacturers to get away from sulfates?

Sulfates are super cheap to produce and use, plus it gives the "good suds" that we've been conditioned to equate with cleanliness. I think, though, that apparently ALS is more biodegradable than SLS/SLES and the bottle says the product is 92% biodegradable.

Kwongdzu
June 11th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I like the shampoo ok; I dilute it when I CWC. I can't stand the conditioner though--it's thick and waxy, and left a residue on my hair.

Lilli
June 11th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Huh. I really liked it as a S&C set, but I hate the Garnier smell (though this is lighter than their regular smell.)

Lexibeth
June 11th, 2011, 10:03 AM
My sister convinced me to try this the other day. My hair HATED it. I had to clarify and do a moisture treatment and my hair is still mad at me. :(

oktobergoud
June 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I bought the Pure Shine one today! It's supposed to be chelating and it's the first ever chelating shampoo I have found here in the Netherlands so I'm very excited to try it out... we have very hard water here :(
But I haven't bought that one you were talking about...

alyanna
June 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM
The Pure Clean conditioner worked pretty well for me as a scalp cowash diluted in a bottle with water. It was a little too thick to use on it's own for CO, but not really moisturizing enough for me to use as a second conditioner. I tend to alternate it with other cheap conditioners (like V05) and I haven't had any issues with buildup from it.

ETA: There's a thread on it in products (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=63958), too.

Agreed.

It leaves way too much residue to be used for CO washing or even to use as a leave in just on the ends. At the same time, it doesn't really give that much slip. Having said that, I'm quite happy using it as a second conditioner, just on my ends, after CO.

Haven't tried the shampoo.

Asequui
June 11th, 2011, 04:30 PM
lol :lol: :cheese: will do !! :-)

Yay, I got :cheese:!
Let me know how it works out for you. I have some wonderful sandlewood bar soap and I usually work up a good thick lather of that in my hands before adding the conditioner and smooshing it around.
/hijack

OhMyCurlz
June 11th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Wow...the reviews for this shampoo are terrible.

When I first saw commercials for this product, I was surprised to hear them make reference to offering a silicone free shampoo and conditioning system. Garnier is the God of freakin silicone. It's like anti-Garnier for them to not have silicone in their products.

I have a secret suspicion that bigger lines watch boards/hair forums and blogs. :cool:

Let's try and figure out what's causing the chaos.

Aqua (Water) , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium Chloride , Hexylene Glycol , Pyrus Malus Extract (Apple Fruit Extract) , Fragrance , Sodium Benzoate , Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride , Citric Acid , Salicylic Acid , Benzoic Acid , Niacinamide , Pyridoxine HCl , Caprylic , Capric Triglyceride , Linalool , Hexyl Cinnamal , Saccharum Officinarum Extract (Sugar Cane Extract) , Citrus Medica Limonum Peel Extract (Lemon Peel Extract) , Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract , Malphigia Punicfolia (Acerola Fruit Extract) , Sodium Hydroxide

The only ingredients that could be causing the gunky weighed down greasy feeling is either the
Hexylene Glycol or the Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride or perhaps a combination of both. The ingredients I highlighted are the only ones that are really active. The rest are just extracts for "green" marketing.

I couldn't find much info on hexylene glycol but what I did find was that it is a solvent and plasticizer (:rolleyes: sounds like the culprit)...propylene glycol is just a humectant.....but I'm not sure if the hexylene version is really just a silicone replacement. Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride is a clear conditioning agent, I doubt this product alone could cause a huge fuss and it doesn't seem to be used at a high percentage.

It looks like it's worthy of a .....pass. :mad:

Dizzy_zzz
June 11th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I bought the pure clean garnier conditioner, but I can only put it on the very tips of my hair; can't put it anywhere near my scalp.

feb26
June 12th, 2011, 01:44 PM
thanks ladies for the input! I'm just starting to get the hang of ingredient lists & if someone has already tried a product that's just coming out here, it's always nice to get feedback on it before I plop down $$$ & clog up my shampoo/conditioner area even more (in shower or bulk section).
Think I'll be giving this a pass as I went away from most drugstore brands to AVOID the coated feeling. Thank you so much for the link to the other board too, i never would've thought to look there for this. Hope everyone's having a lovely weekend!

lilravendark
November 10th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I bought this a few weeks ago and got rid of my pantene stuff, I like it and Im going to keep using it its light and doesnt make my hair feel coated, I switched from pantene because the conditioners were getting to heavy for my taste. So far so good!

Buddaphlyy
November 11th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I have the shampoo and have been using it for about 3 months and I like it. It isn't the best shampoo I ever used but it also isn't the worst. It leaves my hair really clean without stripping it. It's almost like a clarifying shampoo but not as drying.

Diamond.Eyes
November 23rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
I tried the conditoner a few months ago because it was on sale for 50 cents, and had fall-out like crazy. And, my scalp isn't even sensitive or anything. I will never buy this stuff again.

hototogisu
November 24th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I actually... Kind of like it? I use the shampoo to clarify ~once a week, and I really like it for that purpose.

Amber_Maiden
November 24th, 2011, 09:17 AM

Same here... Definitely won't use because of that.

Vanilla
November 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I actually... Kind of like it? I use the shampoo to clarify ~once a week, and I really like it for that purpose.

I also use this to clarify once a week and I like it too.

CurlyMopTop
December 11th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I've been using this stuff for a week. Wow, I can't believe it, but my hair seems to like it! I try to dilute the shampoo when I use it, every other day. I follow with the conditioner and use it solo on the days in between (sparingly of course). I leave a little bit of the condish in as well. My hair is clean, hydrated, not staticy, and is shedding a lot less! I did clarify today followed by a more moisturizing condish. My hair felt like it had build-up, but everything builds up on my hair and I tried to sub condish as a leave-in with olive oil (small amount) the other day (my hair didn't seem to like it) which may have been the culprit. I'll give it a couple of weeks and post on the results. :D I'm really excited!

HintOfMint
December 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I have the conditioner and well... It doesn't detangle well at all in the shower. I mean, eventually it does detangle, but not as quickly as I would like it. However, it does leave a nice texture when my hair dries. It makes my hair very full and voluminous, which I like.

amantha
December 12th, 2011, 02:30 AM
I used this shampoo and it's conditioner for about 5 or 6 months. It seemed really nice the first couple of months...made my waves more pronounced and my hair had more volume and didn't need to be washed as often. However after about 1.5 months I started noticing my hair was getting more splits and frizziness. Then it got realllllly dry. My hair is so fragile now, and I've always had pretty resilient hair before I used this stuff. I'm still dealing with the damage/split ends from using that garbage. It's too bad because it made my waves look awesome and my hair so voluminous....plus it smells nice! I've realized since then (by experiment with other shampoos) that my fine hair really can't handle ALS or ALES. It likes SLS and SLES just fine...but the ALS just strips the hair shafts way too much. :(

feb26
December 13th, 2011, 10:34 AM
awww that sucks :( maybe you could get away with using this as one of your "alternate shampoos"..I switch from Lush Solid Shampoo bar to Head & Shoulders (as needed) to Herbal Essences (when the Shampoo Bar just isn't cutting it and I want to feel "Squeaky Clean")

CurlyMopTop
January 2nd, 2012, 05:51 PM
Ok, I promised that I would update. My hair is still liking the pure and clean shampoo and condish. I dilute both when I use them, and switched to using the GTN as a leave-in. I use a heavier conditioner after I clarify and once in a while in between (winter here and very dry). Yeah! I'm sooo happy that they are both working so well for me. I'll post back in 6 months or so if I start having any problems with breakage, but I doubt that I will. :D

HintOfMint
January 2nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
I have the conditioner and well... It doesn't detangle well at all in the shower. I mean, eventually it does detangle, but not as quickly as I would like it. However, it does leave a nice texture when my hair dries. It makes my hair very full and voluminous, which I like.

An update!

I used it right after I clarified and CWCd (clarified with a clarifying shampoo, then slathered my hair in V05, shampooed with Head and Shoulders, rinsed, and then used the Garnier Pure Clean) and my hair came out the silkiest I've seen it!

I'm hoping to replicate the results soon, but I'm hesitant about clarifying too often. I CWCd using the same products, just not clarifying and the results were nice, but not the same.