PDA

View Full Version : Just got my motorcycle permit, hair questions ensue!

HeatherJenae
May 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I'm all excited, because I passed my written test. Now I plan on taking riding classes and practicing for a year before I buy my own bike. First of all, I know that my hair is going to be adapting to all sorts of things. Being yanked in and out of a helmet, being ponytailed or bunned for rides, being windblown all to hell in general. Are there any female riders here or any long haired gents on LHC that can give me some tips? I will be wearing a full face helmet in a small. I was trying them on at Honda today and I had it bobby pinned out of my face and in a ponytail. The first helmet I tried on and pulled off yanked my hair halfway out of the ponytail and I lost my bobby pins somewhere between the third and fourth helmet. I've already learned some valuable lessons! I think, you should leave your hair completely down and not held in or up by anything when you put the helmet on. Because when you take it off, whatever you had happening in terms of a style will be completely wrecked and you'll have to do it over anyway. So, put the helmet on, then pull it back in either a long haired ponytail or bun. Then, before taking it off, take the ponytail or bun out and pull the helmet off.

Mina17
May 14th, 2011, 04:45 PM
If you didn't want to just stuff your hair loose under the helmet, maybe you could cover it with a skullcap before putting your helmet one. They have some with a built-in ponytail wrap to keep it protected from the wind.

CrystalStar
May 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM
http://www.hairsocks.com/

These are designed to fasten around your hair so that it can't be battered about by the wind! I've never used them, but they're meant to do the job! :)

HeatherJenae
May 14th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks for that link! It looks really helpful. Kind of like what I wear to sleep to keep it from being a tangled mess in the morning.

Tatybird
May 14th, 2011, 05:32 PM
My husband is a bike rider. When he takes me for a ride I wear my hair down or in a braid. I don't like my hair after the helmet:( . I will definitely buy a scullcap / hair sock!

tigr
May 14th, 2011, 05:37 PM
If you don't mind wearing leather, you could use a hair glove. Maybe you could put it on after the helmet.

http://www.hairglove.com/

HeatherJenae
May 14th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Those are awesome Tigr! I will totally be buying one of the black ones. They totally fit the motorcycle look too. They aren't too fussy and look like they offer alot of protection. Thanks for that recommendation.

MistyF
May 14th, 2011, 07:44 PM
When I ride, I pull mine back and secure with a small barrette. My hair is thin, always has been, so I don't braid it. The braid would be pathetic.

Cowgirl16
May 14th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Congratulaions on your permit! I started riding about 3 years ago; I LOVE IT:D I have several of the hair gloves and they are indeed wonderful. My hair is too long for their longest glove so I had a leather crafter make me a longer and wider one.
As wonderful as they are I didn't like the idea that the end of my hair stuck out, also my hair was getting too long for the long hairglove :rolleyes: So; I got a nice dress sock and after braiding my hair I slip the sock over my braid and then I put the hairglove over that. It keeps the sun and the wind away from my hair. :cheese:

Oh and I wear a skull cap or a bandana over my head; no helmet hair here :cool:

washurei
May 14th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I think a french braid might work as well.

luxepiggy
May 14th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I normally just go with a low pony at the nape of the neck, held with a single snag-free elastic - it keeps all the hair back off my face when I put on the helmet, and while it does get messed up when the helmet is removed, it's easy and quick to redo and breakage isn't really an issue. I put my leathers on top of the tail to keep it from flying around in the wind. For long rides I braid the tail loosely but I don't tie off the end of the braid.

HeatherJenae
May 14th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks Cowgirl! I'm excited! You have SO much hair, it looks amazingly thick, I could see why a standard glove would not work. I think if I had time before I went somewhere I would glove it, otherwise I'd just do a low bun since the helmet rides high up on the neck. Seems to be plenty of room for a bun. Plus, it'd be a great way to keep cool during the summer! Run my head under the faucet, bun it, and then have a cool head at stoplights. :) I've ridden on the back of my stepdad's and my dad's a few times and I let my hair just fly around because it was so much fun, and so girly and awesome, but my God the tangles. I learned those days that if hair is ridiculously windblown and tangled, the best way to fix it, is to get your hair wet. Jump in the shower, slather conditioner on, and that slip and weight will work most of the general tangles out. Do you see a lot of other female riders Cowgirl and LuxePiggy? I never see any. I see passengers but not drivers.

DakarNick
May 14th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I just want to say I was very happy to read that you wear a helmet! Many people do not and I will never understand their way of thinking that when their head hits pavement nothing will happen. But, my head is protected and that is all I should care about.

Good luck on your lessons!

HeatherJenae
May 14th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks Nick! I appreciate it. It baffles me too. I can't believe that people get so caught up with looking cool and reckless that they would knowingly jeopardize their life. Helmets increase your chance of survival by 37% in an accident and I will never ride without one, as a driver or rider. What's funny though, is that my mom and I went to Harley Davidson and they had about ten helmets. No full face, not even 3/4ths. Only the bare minimum skull type. I was shocked. I thought they would be the be all end all store. My mom said, "Their image is just one of being too cool for a helmet." I said, "Yeah, they'll look awful cool with their brains all over the pavement." So we went to Honda and their selection was awesome! :) They had tons of sizes, weights, colors, etc. I ended up really loving an HJC FS-10. My mom is super claustrophobic though and she can't wear more than a 3/4ths. She literally almost hyperventilated when I put a full face helmet on. I heard her gasp when I shut the face shield completely since it was covered in stickers and I couldn't see anything. It didn't bother me at all, but she about got the vapors! :) I love that she's so supportive though.

Jean Stuart
May 14th, 2011, 09:47 PM
congratulations, good luck and be safe.

Cowgirl16
May 14th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I went on an all womens ride today. 23 bikes...all women. I belong to Harley Owners Group and we have a lot of female riders :cool:

Wally
May 17th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Congrats on your progress toward your license. Be sure to check out the Bell helmets.They have some very cool motorcycle helmets for girls (at least I think they are cool). And no bobby pins under the helmet. You don't want them embedded in your skull in the event of an 'event'.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/2/48/34955/ITEM/Bell-Womens-Arrow-Zipped-Helmet.aspx

I have an M2 (earlier model of the M4) although it is for track use and not street/moto.

http://www.bellracing.com/public/index/product/detail/233/

PamelaViktoria
May 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I don't know about pulling. But in winter, I love hats. I make a few twists on the top of my head, and put the hat on. My hair when I take it off, my hair always looks better than before.

Wally
May 17th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Should I have included this link?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/5/1/0/56/DCLASS/Bell-Street-Bike-Full-Face-Helmets-Mens-Riding-Gear.aspx

Are these awesome graphics or what? OK, no good.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/34953/ITEM/Bell-Arrow-Eddie-Helmet.aspx

So cool.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/34951/ITEM/Bell-Vortex-Archangel-Helmet.aspx

Snell M2010 is better than DOT rating IMHO.

luthein
May 17th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Grats on the permit! I wear a full-face helmet and one of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJLV6IP-QmM
I got the Avatar Blue Diva-Do which feels like a satin pillowcase, and the inside is like soft cotton. It helps the helmet slide on easier, too.

Now...is motorcycle shopping in the works, too? :) That's the best part!

HeatherJenae
May 21st, 2011, 09:19 PM
Wow, great links! Thanks so much. I have a lot of research and perusing to do. Online window shopping is the best. :) And yes, I definitely plan to buy my own bike. I have the goal of paying off my credit card and finishing paying for my laptop before I make that purchase though. Sort of a reward to myself for being responsible. Now that I have my permit and have taken a real interest in riding, I've been noticing motorcycles on the road much more. I've only seen one woman driving her own. Huge respect to her for that but huge points down for no helmet or gear. That is the standard look in Ohio though. No protective gear whatsoever. Maybe I'll start a female helmet and gear trend...

neesalena
May 21st, 2011, 11:49 PM
I got my license in Japan because riding instead of driving can make life so simple. Where I live, speeds are slow but cars back up. Scooters are allowed to skip to the front of any stopped traffic. Other vehicles even make room for me to get by.

I hate the results of taking my helmet off, but had no idea there were solutions.

Great question, and good luck with finding just the right thing for you. I'm thinking on the hair sock, mainly because I don't understand how the hair glove works.

HeatherJenae
May 22nd, 2011, 05:56 AM
I'm so jealous of countries that have motorcycle/scooter lanes and that really take them into account in traffic. I was also confused by the hair glove but I think that I've figured it out. I think it's a normal scrunchie with a piece of leather attached. You put your hair into a ponytail with the scrunchie like you normal would, then you put all of your hair into the glove and I think it just snaps shut along your length. That's my guess anyway!

kdaniels8811
May 23rd, 2011, 04:50 AM
Congrats on joining the ranks of women who ride thier own motorcycles. I have a Triumph America and LOVE it. For hair protection - try http://stylesaverscarf.com/. They are satin, about $14 and developed by a lady biker for exactly what you described - to prevent the dreaded helmet hair. You can also check out Women in the Wind, a women's motorcycle group that is very welcoming to new riders. Good luck!

selenechiba
May 23rd, 2011, 08:04 AM
A coworker of mine rides; using ouchless elastics, she makes a pony-tail at the nape, then five or six more bands going down, each two or three inches from the last.

xoerincolleen
May 23rd, 2011, 08:10 AM
If you don't mind wearing leather, you could use a hair glove. Maybe you could put it on after the helmet.

http://www.hairglove.com/

I was driving behind a lady on a motorcycle wearing one of these yesterday!

DakarNick
May 23rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
The glove is split down the length. Then secured by velcro or snaps. My wife said she wants one. 12" I guess.

silvermoon_76
May 27th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I ride a scooter. I NEVER put my helmet directly on my hair because helmet head is disgusting. I normally just bun it and then use a bandanna.
I'm actually really thankful for my helmet, because it prevents the frizzies around my hairline from going crazy.
When my hair's wet, I leave it loose on the ride to college (15 km, through traffic). I end up with nice curls, but the detangling after is probably not worth it :P

dulce
May 28th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I really liked the Racibab helmet liner but couldn't find out where it can be bought.Another idea is to wear one of those satin or silk sleeping caps under the helmet.

PianoPlaye
May 28th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Some years ago I too rode. Wore my hair in twin french plaits back from a centre part then reefed the braids. Meant I could haul a lid on & off with almost no hassle - the glasses were more tricky! Years later my thin fine hair is only just beginning to forgive me with TLHC's help. A fellow rider had thicker longer hair than mine & wore it loose! Used the helmet as a hairband & just accepted that as soon as she arrived, she had a detangling time. She wore a 3/4 too, whereas I went for fullface - if I was picking now I'd be looking at fullface with chinbar. Our bike coppers wear these, and can flip from solid & safe to stop & chat easily.
The "Lara Croft" multiple elastics style would seem to tick a lot of boxes for enjoying the length with less of the hassle. I'd wear a silk scarf as an Alice band under the lid too.

Hmmm. Wonder how much it weould be go 6 wheels....!

Your hair is wonderful, but the brain beneath it is even more so. Over here in the UK a lid is mandatory. The smart choice is to always helmet up, because the ER nurses do not have the time or knowledge to look after your hair as you do. They are trained to reach for the shears Whenever Necessary. Silk scarf, braid, hairglove, try them all - then get the helmet that fits & wear it. :)

Mrspuddinhead
May 30th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Go to YouTube and check out a video by Torrin Paige, its untitled Harley braid. I think it will be just what you are looking for. I hope that helps.

eicamawa
May 30th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I often have my hair in braids, or a love ponytale when I'm riding my motorcycle. And I always keep the ends inside my jacket. Usually I also try to use some boobypins to keep my long bangs away from my eyes, but unless they are firmly stuck in my hair, it will become a mess.

HeatherJenae
May 30th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Wow, this is so much great input. And I love the quote that said your hair is precious but not as much as the brain beneath it. So true! I just finished my third riding lesson with my stepdad. He's letting me practice on his Honda Shadow. It's heavy as hell and he has to ride on the back because I can't hold it up on my own. But I'm so excited, I got it up into third gear and back down! I only had a couple blonde moments (no offense!). I kicked it into neutral instead of second a few times and I had a momentary brain fart where I was pushing my foot down to try to make the bike go faster (car driving on the brain!). I laughed at myself both times. I started getting really tired from holding the bike but my stepdad wanted me to try one more lap around the parking lot. I have trouble with shaky right turns since I'm really right eye dominant (my dad has the same problem). I got on and stalled it out of nowhere and my poor stepdad slammed into the back of my helmet like a crash test dummy (he doesn't wear one). I jumped off and was like, "Are you ok?!". He saw birdies for a few minutes but he mostly blamed himself for trying to get me to ride when I had already said I was fatigued and couldn't do it anymore. Overall, it's been great fun. In hair news, I'm amazed at how tangled my hair under the helmet is, and how untangled it is on the length when in a ponytail. I would have thought the complete opposite. I guess it's long enough that the weight keeps it from flying around too much, thus cutting down on the tangles. I thought I could get away with not wearing a liner or a glove but that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen now. Sometimes when I get flustered, I get all sweaty and my hair is just a matted mess by the time I pull the helmet off. But it's totally worth it! :)

DakarNick
May 30th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Ha funny! I grew up on enduros so I knew how to ride before my test but I took an MSF course. That is the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. There is a parking lot course and classroom course. Take and pass the test and you automatically get your endorsement. Only need to go to the DMV to get your new license with endorsement stamp.

Good luck with everything! I did 400 miles on the 27th and my wife are doing a three day bike camping trip this coming weekend. It is a fun sport for sure!

HeatherJenae
May 30th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Nick, is your motorcycle license a completely separate id? I got my permit and it's a whole new id but my mom said that when you get your endorsement they just add a little letter to your existing license. How did your state do it?

DakarNick
May 30th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Nick, is your motorcycle license a completely separate id? I got my permit and it's a whole new id but my mom said that when you get your endorsement they just add a little letter to your existing license. How did your state do it?

You know, I can't remember if they stamped it with an M or made a new one. Its been seven years. Let me see if I can remember. I'm in Colorado but not all the states are the same.

Cowgirl16
May 30th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I always wear a beanie or a bandana under my helmet.
I took the MSF like Nick did, it was a lot of fun and very useful. They are in the business of teaching you to ride SAFE, so along with learning to ride you get a lot of safety info. I highly recommend taking the course, I'm sure there is one in your area. When I got my license they gave me a new one with my motorcycle endorsement on the back. Good Luck, have fun and be safe.:o

HeatherJenae
May 30th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I should have mentioned awhile back that I signed up for my MSF class the day I got my permit, I was too excited to wait. :) They were totally booked until the end of August but that's okay. It'll give me time to practice the basics over the summer whenever my stepdad comes home. He's an over the road trucker and is only home a couple days out of the month. He jokes that next I'll have to get my CDL and drive trucks with him. But I'm already having the withdrawals! I want a lesson! :) Have any of you guys taken the experienced rider course? I also wonder if they break it up on the two ride days. Not to be indelicate, but my crotch is not okay with straddling a bike for even an hour. I know you get used to it eventually, but the ride days are eight hours long back to back! I'm gonna look like I just rode the roughest horse on the planet. And another question! I don't mean to divert completely from the hair aspect, but I just have so many new rider questions. Do you feel rusty after not riding during winter? Are you itching to get back out there?

Seeshami
May 30th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I am not a biker, nor do I know any long haired bikers personally but I always watch them carefully on the road to make sure I am not putting them in danger. I normally see them sporting tight braids with the little bands spaced evenly down the length for extra security I assume. Hope that helps a little!

DakarNick
May 30th, 2011, 08:04 PM
HeatherJenae, I will start a thread in the off topic friendship forum for riding questions :)

HeatherJenae
May 30th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Seeshami that is awesome that you are so aware of driving around bikes. Even though I'm learning to ride one, it still makes me nervous when one is near my car on the road. I don't know why, but I feel like I'm gonna smoosh them like a bug or they're going to do something unexpected suddenly. It's weird. I've been watching the ladies of the road around here. It seems like they all go totally loose or in a ponytail. That's the no helmet girls of course. The one lady I saw wearing a full face today was a passenger going in the opposite direction so I didn't get a good look at how she had it up. But then again, not many ladies are sporting the super long hair while riding a bike. A lot of them can probably stick a helmet on and not even worry about wind damage. The men I've seen usually have a bandana on and let the length hang loose.

Nick, that would be great! But be prepared, I'm a question monster. I never stop coming up with them! :)

Seeshami
May 30th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I couldn't live with myself with out massive amounts of therapy if I hurt some one. I am surrounded by metal in my car. People on motorcycles have hardly anything. My car can be replaced, someones loved one cannot.

Tucking it into your jacket is a good idea too. I believe that's already been mentioned though.

Cowgirl16
May 30th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I saw my hair inspiration on a motorcycle.
It was about 3years ago. I was at a stop light and a woman on a bike turned the intersection in front of me. Her braid went past the seat on her bike; it was gorgeous. I decided then I wanted to be a longhaired biker chick :cool:

HeatherJenae
May 31st, 2011, 07:03 PM
That's so awesome Cowgirl! And you're right Seeshami, a loved one is irreplaceable. I was talking to a guy at work today and he had the standard "a little thing like yourself shouldn't be riding a big old bike" sexist crap. He said it's hard to be cautious on a bike and they go fast. I was like, caution is the result of driving skills and awareness, not what you're driving. If anything, being on a motorcycle makes you more aware. AND, drivers make the bike go fast. They're not out of control Prius's accelerating on their own! :) I saw two more women drivers today, they were both letting their APL hang loose. I thought I saw a third lady, but it turned out to be a guy upon closer inspection.