PDA

View Full Version : 3a's, 3b's and 3c's whats your favourite hair style?

cuticom
March 20th, 2011, 04:40 AM
So twelve months ago I was a 1c/2a. No one but my grandfather has even the semblance of curls. But last November virtually overnight my hair blossomed into 3a, since then it's just gotten curlier. It's quickly heading to 3b now.

So in the last five months, I've gotten the washing thing down pat. Lots of conditioner, drip dry. No brushes nor combs to touch a head of curls. But um I don't want my hair out all the time, it's just long enough now to constantly get stuck behind me when I sit down, to get caught under bag straps, to get caught in the door of the car.

My hairs still recovering from a major twelve month shed, so I have this lovely halo of ringlets. It looks amazing when it's down, but not so great when pulled back. Plaits have random ringlets springing out down the length, ponies only show off the thinnest curls, so I have this weird thin cascade thing going on.

So I need inspiration, if you're a curly, whats your favourite hairstyle? pictures would be great!

Dina L.
March 20th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Lucky you getting more curls! :roll:
I usually wear my hair down in the first 2 days, after that: ponytail, small buns (lazy wrap bun or just something like a cinnamon bun fixed with 2 spin pins), and I just want to learn beauuuuutiful braids. :)

SheaLynne
March 20th, 2011, 01:42 PM
My dd went through a "transition" to curlier hair when she was 4 yo. Before that it was similar to my wave (1c/2a at most) and now I would say she is at least 2c/3a. When she had more curly closer to her head, we did a lot of the ponytail buns on top of her head, where you start a ponytail but only pull the tail through part way on the last time, so it leaves a loop of the smoother (less curly) hairs. At her age we were able to clip a bow in front of that to cover the ponytail holder, so I don't know if you can use that or not, but it helped us get her through to where she had enough length of the curly part that her ponytails and other styles didn't look as bad.

Of course, with what I know now, we would probably use a flexi-8 to be less damaging, and that would look good for adult age, too.

We also use olive oil and leave-in conditioner to smooth the curlies that want to stick out everywhere, and aloe gel when we really want it to stay that way. But, in general, I think the curlies popping out are lovely and I wouldn't want to completely tame them!

HTH!

GRU
March 20th, 2011, 02:18 PM
When I bun, I tend to oil my hair, brush it out with a Tangle Teezer, and then make a smooth bun -- nobody would even know I'm a curly girl! ;)

If I'm just doing a "temporary bun" to get my hair out of the way to perform a task, but then I'll be wearing it curly again afterward, I'll do a really loose bun with a hairstick.

Braiding your hair when damp and/or oiled can help the curly tips stay in place, but they'll be lost when you take the braid out.

I've also been known to do loose ponies at the nape, either with a barrette or an elastic, keeping my curls intact.

The other night we went out to eat at a restaurant, and we were sitting near the grill and I wanted to put my hair up b/c of the heat. The weather had been gorgeous that day, so I hadn't worn a jacket or a coat, so I didn't have my usual stash of hairsticks and elastics in my pocket. And I had just come from the car dealership where I picked up my new car, so I didn't have my usual stash of hairsticks and elastics in my vehicle. And I don't carry a purse, so I was just poop outta luck! So I tied my hair into a big loose knot at the nape of my neck. Didn't look so great, I imagine, but it got the job done. :shrug:

Firefox7275
March 20th, 2011, 02:35 PM
What about a half up, loosely pinned to one side or the other with the main body of your hair over one shoulder? Apparently spin pins are good for this on curly hair.