PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad....

MindBeforeMouth
March 19th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Is it bad to braid your hair right after a shower? or should you wait till it has dried a bit?

Athena's Owl
March 19th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I braid my soaking wet hair fairly often. I get really nice braidwaves that way!

MindBeforeMouth
March 19th, 2011, 11:44 PM
But, Sometimes in the morning when I wake up it's still wet. Is that bad for it?

doro357
March 20th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I let my hair dry a little and make a loose braid. My scalp feels funky if it stays wet too long.

Fufu
March 20th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I prefer to let my hair become damp instead of dripping wet before I braid or bun.

Athena's Owl
March 20th, 2011, 02:38 AM
But, Sometimes in the morning when I wake up it's still wet. Is that bad for it?

Are you going out in temperatures so cold your hair will freeze? No? Then no.

torrilin
March 20th, 2011, 07:07 AM
And even if it's cold enough that your hair will freeze... it's a helluva lot easier to stuff long hair under hats if it is braided or otherwise up. Then it is insulated and takes much longer to freeze.

kaned_ferret
March 20th, 2011, 09:47 AM
not bad for the hair, but like someone else said it could affect your scalp if it's sensitive :) The other night I put my hair into french braids whilst wet to see how it would come out when dry (eee I looked like ronald mcdonald since my hair is only approaching jaw length!) but because I had damp hair next to my scalp for so many hours it made it very itchy and flakey so rather than needing to wash it about 4 days later as I normally do, I had to rewash it the day after and let my scalp air dry properly to solve it!

sarahbrownie
March 20th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I find if I re-do my braid a few times during the day helps move the hair around and get it dry if I braided it wet.

braidedbelle
March 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM
if you braid your hair right after the shower you risk breaking it, so i'd say wait for it to dry a little and then be verryyy careful! I usually braid my hair about an hour or more after showering

enfys
March 20th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I know hair can shrink a little when it dries, so a very tight braid could become too tight and uncomfortable when it dries, but a looser braid on wet hair shuld be fine if that's what floats you boat and your scalp doesn't revolt.

MindBeforeMouth
March 22nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Ok thanks guys for all your awesome adivice!

BrightEyes7
March 22nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
I personally like to let my hair dry first. But I don't think it harms it to have it braided wet/damp. As long as you aren't braiding to tight or pulling the hair to the point of it causing breakage, you should be fine.

I've gone to bed many times and woke up with damp hair still. And my hair was down... I do notice that if I keep my hair wet too long my scalp gets kinda itchy.

ooo
March 22nd, 2011, 06:06 PM
I guess it would only be bad, if you de tangle carelessly.